software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (157) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (56) articles about Software Guild →

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL
    Start Date September 06, 2021
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
    September 06, 2021 - Online Apply by August 20, 2021
    October 04, 2021 - Online Apply by September 17, 2021
  • .NET/C#

C#, CSS, HTML, .NET
    Start Date September 06, 2021
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
    September 06, 2021 - Online Apply by August 20, 2021
    October 04, 2021 - Online Apply by September 17, 2021
    - 8/11/2021
    Christopher  User Photo
    Christopher • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Worth every penny! I was definitely skepticle at first but I got started with an open mind and gave it my all to get through the boot camp. Commiting 100% of my time to studying and working on projects was stressful. I totaled 80 hours a week counting in class time, homework and weekend projects. The first half of the cohert was the most stressful as I had so much uncertainity I be able to meet the deadlines of weekend projects. With some help and determination I managed to get through it. The instructor was pretty was pretty awesome and hit all the marks to educate beginners. It took awhile for it to click in my brain but with some help from other programmers that would say the same things to validate his teachings I was able to understand the foundation of learning to code. After that I moved into the 2nd half of the cohort and worked with fullstack development and towards the end worked on employment information and practice to land a job after we graduate. Overall a great experience and very greatful to be given the oppurtunity The Software Guild gave me.
    - 7/19/2021
    Cary  User Photo
    Cary • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The Java program was fast-paced and contained a lot of important concepts. It taught Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced Java. It incorporated using databases (mySQL) in Java using JDBC template. The curriculum also included teaching about object-oriented programming concepts, MVC architecture, and dependency injection with Spring. The assignments were meaningful, sometimes repetitive to reinforce concepts. The code-alongs were very helpful too.
  • Ibsa Gilo   User Photo
    Ibsa Gilo • Apprentice • Student Verified via GitHub
    I am online java Apprentice as of the time I am doing this review.  I am on Badge 3 of Badge 4 as of the time i am conducting the review. Since I started the school with software Guild i always considered my self lucky to have known Software Guild.  I was thanked the friend who told me about the school.  When I came to software Guild i have taken java and some other programming related classes, However i didn't get chance to apply the knowledge i got from school and from studying by my own.  The greatest thing that I got from Software Guild is applying the programming knowledge that I got from the lessons.  The other thing is befor  i come to software Guild i tried to understand many concepts of programming from reading books and articles and watching YouTube but i couldn' t really understand. But when I read a software Guild materials i was able to understand everything.  Now that I am in Badge 3 i am feeling like I'm way more experienced than when I started.  I learned that programming is not only coding.  Even though coding one important thing there are also rules and best practices to become a good programmer.  Software Guild teaches everything that takes to make someone a good programmer.  It can be challenging for someone with zero coding skill but honestly feel programming is the easiest it can at software Guild.  A person with zero coding skill can still make it by giving some extra time to read the material and practice as well as to get help from instructors and openofficehour on slack. I strongly recommend software Guild for anyone who has passion for becoming a software developer.
  • Jose  User Photo
    Jose • Apprentice Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I started working in factories straight out of college and found out about the Software Guild in Minneapolis, MN. After about a year of dreading work I decided to take a risk and try out the Software Guild. I do not regret it one bit.
    The instructor I had was great, and he helped me understand things I had trouble with. I had about a years worth of coding experience from college courses I took, but those courses taught me nowhere near as much or as effectively as the Guild did.
    If I could start over I would have gone straight to the Software Guild instead of college, because it would have saved my tens of thousands of dollars and 4 years of my time.
    If you can commit your time to completing the reading assignments, take notes, ask question about ANYTHING you don't understand, and actually practicing/ finishing projects, you can succeed and find a job afterwards.
    The Guild does not hand you a job, they give the tools and resources to be able to find a job. They help make you look like a really strong candidate for junior developer positions.
    The Guild in Minneapolis even gave us a chance to have speed interviews in the last 2 weeks of the course and I was one of the lucky few to get hired from that process. If you do not get hired during the speed interviews, do not worry, the guild sends out different opportunities that you can choose to apply to.

If you are questioning whether or not the Software Guild is worth it. I would tell you that It 100% is, and that you can become a developer if you put in the time and effort.
  • Changed my life
    - 2/11/2020
    Tamara  User Photo
    Tamara • Jr. Java Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Helped me launch a new career that I love. I had no software engineering experience, but was able to quickly learn so much in such a condensed amount of time. It has improved my quality of life in so many ways and put me on the road to reaching my goals.
  • Austin  User Photo
    Austin • Application Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Personal Background

I've been messing around with programming ever since I was the age of 14 (I'm 21 now as of writing this review), and I knew that being a software developer was always what I wanted to pursue, so it didn't come as a surprise when my trajectory shifted from completing a college degree to joining a code bootcamp after 3 years of taking classes that didn't benefit my degree, and pretty much setting myself up to be in college for way longer than I hoped for. I really wanted to just jump into my career as soon as I could considering the previous experience that I had. After some research, I had selected my top three picks for bootcamps that I was interested in.

The Software Guild really stood out to me because of the employment statistics, along with offering a .NET/C# course which I was also pursuing. After looking into the school, I learned more of the fantastic job prep skills that the guild offered, and at that point I decided to apply.

The Experience

Upon being accepted to the guild as an apprentice, I was given the pre-cohort coursework that is mandatory to be completed before starting, which is an introductory, online web development course that focuses in teaching you the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. This is so that all apprentices are on the same basic level of web development knowledge before starting that section of the actual course, which is very beneficial to your success at the guild (especially if you really dive into it!). It took me a little while to get the pre-work done, but it was very worth the time.

At the start of the cohort, it is all fundamentals. If you are new to programming, or just object oriented programming in general, getting through the first half of the course WILL be fairly difficult. There's a lot of material to cover, and you have to make sure that you're pushing yourself to complete your projects on time, and to get all the help you can get from your instructor (that's what you're paying for, after all) in each course milestone. Even with my previous experience with programming, there were still so many new fundamental skills that I picked up, and the workload of the course certainly challenged me.

The next section of the course is where you'll be putting all that basic web development knowledge, along with your newly gained .NET/C# knowledge to use. In my opinion, this is the most difficult section of the entire cohort, since there is so much information that is being taken in, and each week moves by so quickly that it's easy to fall behind. However if you are to fall behind at all in the course, you can quickly get caught up if you are proactive and get all the help you need to get up to speed with the material you might be struggling in. I don't think that there was a single day that I was in class and didn't ask at least a handful of questions to my instructor on what I was working on or anything at all that I was curious about.

There will be many presentations, guest panels, mock interviews, and other very beneficial tools available to you as an apprentice to get you ready for starting your job search that I STRONGLY would recommend not to pass up. Take all the notes and soak up all the information you can during all these sessions.

Concluding Thoughts

Like the title says, joining The Software Guild was one of the best decisions that I could have made for my career. I was provided with skills that I wouldn't be able to obtain on my own time, and it has opened up so many opportunities for me, as well as given me tools that are applicable to not only my software development career, but many other sections of my life too.

The #1 advice I'd give to somebody looking to join The Software Guild, or any code bootcamp in general goes as follows:

1. Be ready to work. You'll be very busy with projects and staying on top of course material throughout the cohort.

2. Don't miss up on all the opportunities & additional help that you're offered from the staff & instructors! You want to take in as much information as you can that can benefit you & your career.

3. Just have fun. Find ways to make the course enjoyable for you.

• Great Education
    - 5/28/2019
    Stanley  User Photo
    Stanley • Frontend Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Background: I attended UofL Computer Engineering program for a year before dropping out in favor of this bootcamp. In 3 months I learned more than I probably would have staying all 4 years at university writing tic-tac-toe applications.

Coursework: Having some (although very basic) knowledge of Java helped me with the first week or so of the coursework. Regardless, the projects you will work on are challenging for a beginner; do not be scared off by this, it is good to struggle a bit when learning to code. The instructors will guide you through the purpose of fundamental techniques so that you can gain a solid foundation of learning how to go about solving problems through code. This is type of critical thinking is key to having a successful career after graduation and definitely seems to be the focus of the program, rather than just writing code for repitition sake.

Post Graduation: I have been working as a developer full time for nearly two years now and continue to use techniques that I learned while studying at the Software Guild. This program has been incredibly useful propelling my career and the community is great even after graduating -- I still talk with friends I made in the program regularly and sometimes go back for Wednesday night board games.

• Emmanuel Ruvalcaba  User Photo
    Emmanuel Ruvalcaba • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I can only consider my experience at the Software Guild as the best career decision I have ever made. Because of the skills I learned at the Guild I have been able to excel in an incredibly challenging, lucrative, and fulfilling career. You are thrown into a very expansive and comprehensive curriculum with only a certain amount of knowledge and encouraged to struggle and learn from the difficulty. This was key for my success in the Guild and now in my career. The single best skill I learned was how to effectively research issues, problems, code, etc and how to find the answer I needed. I will say at some point I do wish I was given a bit more direction at the beginning of the bootcamp when I knew practically nothing and slowly given less and less as I learned on my own but nevertheless I was successful.

• Thomas Graves  User Photo
    Thomas Graves • Jr Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had some previous coding experience through school but didn't want to pursue a bachelors so I decided to try the Software Guild out. I had a newer instructor so the first few days were a little rough around the edges but by the end of the program everyone was prepared for an entry level position and had the skills to continually learn new things. The course is really hard if you don't commit to it and use your time efficiently, several people switched to online because they couldn't keep up.

They really do help you with finding a job, resume reviews, networking, interviews, etc. Basically the entire part after completion of the program. I found a job after about a month and the job market was slowing down when I was applying because of the holidays. (Nov - December)

I highly recommend checking the guild out if you are interested in a tech career. Also, you should probably research your job market when deciding which language to learn but it's not a big deal because they give you access to the other course at the end of the program. I learned Java but my job uses .NET/C#

• Keller Martin  User Photo
    Keller Martin • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I decided on doing the Software Guild after almost a year of casually teaching myself to code. Spending 3 months dedicated to learning a new trade with a cohort of motivated colleagues was the best career decision I've ever made. The work was hard, but I put my time in and came out with 3 job offers the week before the program ended. I never imagined that after only three months, I would be in a position to pick the job of my choosing.

I was able to double my salary and enter a new career as a software engineer in 3 months, all thanks to the instructors, employment team, and my classmates at the Software Guild. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Cole Smith  User Photo
    Cole Smith • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I contacted the Software Guild on a whim. My enrollment councilor was great, his name was Steven and he answered all my questions completely and truthfully. Thanks to him I knew exactly was to expect. If you are even slightly considering a programming bootcamp I would highly recommend reaching out to the Software Guild.

Once I enrolled everything went so fast. Course work is hard and plentiful, it has to be for a twelve week session. Despite this, everyone working there is personally rooting for you to do your best. With knowledgeable instructors who love teaching, it's hard not to succeed. They help guide you just enough, while still pushing you to figure out answers on your own. Shout out to Alan and Austyn! They are both fantastic.

Toward the middle of the course, you start meeting regularly with the Employer Network Manager. At the Louisville school, this is Jacob. Jacob is well connected in the tech scene and will do everything he can to help you find a job you are excited about. He may also go rock climb with you, if you play your cards right.
    Overall I am so happy to have completed this course. Before I signed up, I was not doing work that I cared about. Now I am a full stack developer for a small start up in my favorite town. I don't know where I would be without the Software Guild. I can honestly say that my life is much more fulfilling exclusively thanks to this program and the people that make it possible.
  • John Kachurek  User Photo
    John Kachurek • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

It has been almost three years since I started my program at the Software Guild, and I figured I'd leave a review.  The boot camp industry is so crowded these days that it's important to tell the good programs from the bad, and the Software Guild is one of the best.  I constantly have friends asking me for advice on bootcamps, and good user reviews are where I point them first.

Unfortunately, the basic .NET and Java course are no longer available in Akron, but as long as the other locations uphold the same or similar standards, it's truly one of the best programs around.  12 weeks of instruction from staff who were true experts.  Every instructor had at least a decade or two of experience as regional experts.  One was a Microsoft MVP.  All of them invested themselves in student success.

The staff and instructors were totally dedicated to seeing every student graduate on time and employed (if that's what the student was seeking).  Personally, I accepted a job offer by the end of the eleventh week of the program.  The Guild brought in probably a dozen different employers to interview us on-site in week ten, which led to that offer.  The program focuses on preparing for the professional world and practical skills for the field, which gives it a big edge over other camps that might focus on surface level skills with buzzworthy technologies.

There were some students who did struggle with certain parts of the course, but they all graduated and found jobs because they let instructors know what was giving them trouble and they sought extra help early and often.  The Guild cares too much about its reputation to just churn out students and let them fall by the wayside.  Even now, more than 2.5 years into my career, if I needed the help, I could hop back in the slack and ask for interview & resume help, or ask someone if they have any connections at a company where I'd like to apply.  Every aspect of the program was top-notch, and I've found myself better prepared for my career than most of my peers with equivalent years of experience.  I'm now on my third job, having just moved across the country, and I'm loving it.

This next bit depends on the people in your cohort, but for me, I made friends during my time there that I keep in touch with to this day.  We would all hang out, support each other, and push each other through a light sense of competition.  The benefits of doing an in-person program, if you can afford taking the time off for it, cannot be understated.  It was one of the best decision I've ever made, and my only frustration is that I didn't do it earlier.

My biggest piece of advice, which you could figure out if you read between the lines of my review: you get out what you put in.  If you really throw yourself into the program and dedicate yourself to it, you will succeed.  When you have trouble, schedule extra time with an instructor or TA.  Hell, even if you're caught up, schedule extra time to learn something extra or solidify your basics.  Make friends.  Experiment with side projects and ask peers & instructors for feedback.  You will be in such a strong position when the time comes to enter the professional world.  Just make sure that you are ready to commit to the program and that you want to pursue this career track before you dive into it, or you might be disappointed.

Software Guild Outcomes

92% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 35 graduates included in report:

90% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.