devpoint-labs-logo

DevPoint Labs

Las Vegas, Salt Lake City

DevPoint Labs

DevPoint Labs teaches 11-week full-time and 11-week part-time full stack web development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Las Vegas, Nevada. The full-time class is part of the University of Utah Professional Education school, and covers HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, SQL, JavaScript, React, Redux, and more. The part-time class is available at the DevPoint Labs Salt Lake City campus and at the University of Nevada, and covers a very similar curriculum. DevPoint Labs' approach to learning combines pair programming with traditional lectures and a mix of group projects, lean methodologies, hackathons and one-on-one mentorship from instructors.

DevPoint Labs is aimed at students with little to moderate experience in web development. To apply, candidates fill out the short application on the website, then chat with a staff member about their motivations. Once accepted students will need to complete pre-work before the first day of class.

Leading up to graduation, DevPoint Labs prepares students for finding a job with mock interviews, workshops, guest speakers, and a Launch Day to showcase their projects to potential employers. Full-time students at the University of Utah Professional Education program will receive a completion certificate. Part-time students at the University of Nevada will receive a UNLV Continuing Education certificate.

DevPoint Labs offers student housing to all out-of-state students on a first come, first serve basis. The house is located less than a mile from the campus, and comes furnished with all utilities paid for the duration of the camp.

Recent DevPoint Labs Reviews: Rating 4.86

all (151) reviews for DevPoint Labs →

Recent DevPoint Labs News

Read all (24) articles about DevPoint Labs →
  • Part-time Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationSalt Lake City
    This course puts a heavy focus on JavaScript, React, and front-end web development. We are one of the nation's highest reviewed program in accelerated web development with emphasis in the most desired and growing skills like javascript, react.js, git, mongodb, react native and more in web development. Even though the course is part-time, the pace is rigorous (bootcamp for a reason) and only for the motivated individuals that wants to gain skills that will add value to their career and life. Our campus is at Church & State co-working, a collaborative environment for students to get their CODE ON before and after class. Taught by industry experts, you'll learn from passionate instructors co-instructors, and TA's who are contributors & leaders in the development community. DevPoint Labs is unmatched in the nation when it comes to student experience, value, community, and advanced curriculum.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    ScholarshipWomen In Tech Scholarship & Opportunity in Tech Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • UNLV Part-time Web Development Coding Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, PHP, JavaScript, Sinatra, Xcode, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Front End, Ruby, Agile, SQL, MVC
    LocationLas Vegas
    Partnered with University of Nevada, Las Vegas - DevPoint Labs is powering a part-time web development coding bootcamp. This 24-week program is geared towards working individuals with a flexible schedule of nights and weekends. Learn from one of the top coding programs in the nation in the latest web development technologies and tools. Curated curriculum will cover full-stack web development.
    Student Loans through MACU
  • U of U ProEd Full-time Web Development

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby, SQL
    LocationSalt Lake City
    In today's digital economy, coding skills are the most demanded across all types of careers and professions. Forbes and LinkedIn noted that those with full-stack web development skills dominate the pay scale and employer desirability. University of Utah Professional Education is excited to bring our students a full-time Web Development Certificate Program, powered by DevPoint Labs. DevPoint Labs was founded by University of Utah graduates as the first full-stack web development program in the state. This course will be held at the DevPoint Lab's Campus in downtown Salt Lake City, located in Church & State Co-working. This full-time, intensive program creates proficiency in back-end and front-end web development through hands on training. Learn multiple programming languages and programs centered around web development like HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, ReactJS, React Native, Git and more. https://devpointlabs.continue.utah.edu
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    ScholarshipWomen In Tech & Opportunity In Tech Scholarships available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge GED or Equivalent
  • User Experience Design

HTML, User Experience Design, CSS
    LocationSalt Lake City
    *THIS COURSE IS CURRENTLY NOT OFFERED* Being able to express design ideas by utilizing sitemaps, user flows, and wireframes is a skill that is in increasingly high demand, and a requirement for any serious career in interactive design or product management. In this course, you’ll receive knowledge and skills in topics like: how to analyze business and usability requirements from a user perspective, drawing solutions with Sketch and best practices for common design patterns such as home pages, forms, search and navigation.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union

Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge & some design experience.
  • Danny Leaver  User Photo
    Danny Leaver • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I went to DevPoint Labs in hopes of getting a career in dev. Now, less than a year later, I have a full-time job as a software developer for a company in Utah County.  Although I thought I could have learned how to code on my own, I certainly wouldn't have had as much focus, help and fun along the way. Nor would I have possibly stayed motivated to really learn the fundamentals of computer programming that are taught at DevPoint Labs. The staff were extremely knowledgable (thanks Nick, Harlan, and Henry) and showed me how to problem solve in really effective ways. My new career is great, and I feel excited to get up and go to work (almost) everyday :)    DEVPOINT FOR LIFE!!!
  • Andrew Sloan  User Photo
    Andrew Sloan • Junior Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated in the Winter 2020 cohort at DevPoint Labs in the beginning of February 2021. Where to even start...

Before attending DevPoint Labs I searched and researched every bootcamp known to man (it felt like...) and I looked at these type of reviews tirelessly trying to find the right fit for me so I hope if you are in the same position this can help a little. I came in with no experience at all. I come from an acting, flight attendant, anything outside, background. So by no experience I mean I opened my computer once a month to goof around and never thought about web development. The idea to try was from a friend who recently did a bootcamp, struggled through it, but was successful. And with covid layoffs i really wanted to learn a new skill. I didn't really know what software development was to be honest. While searching I taught myself basic HTML and CSS as that seemed to be recommended by most boot camps.

I decided on DPL because it was tied to the University of Utah, would have been in person, and rarely heard or saw anything negative about the course. It exceeded my expectations BY FAR. The staff (specifically Will, Nhi, Marc, and Henry who were always a zoom call away to help) , instructors (HUGE shout out to James Yeates...the man's a genius), and TA's (Danny and Simon who were super knowledgeable and if they didn't have the answer they were professionals at finding it) created a learning environment that was tailored to the people and allowed us to learn the best and the most we could. The course is hard. It really is. I had a few "throw an item against the wall" days. I was intimidated going in but like coding in general, you take it a bite at a time and eventually you find yourself comfortable with the material.

Lastly, a few things I would have known beforehand. When they say be more than familiar with the concepts before the first day...they aren't wrong. Be super comfortable with HTML and CSS and really put some work in on the About Me site. I wish I would have done a basic Javascript and Ruby study (at least know what you can use the language for and the concepts...not necessarily the syntax. you'll get plenty of practice with that). If I could go back I would set my computer up a little more too. Clean it up and get ready to use it as the incredible tool it is a capable of. They do a fantastic job at taking a course that is intended to be inperson and making it remote.

If you decide DPL is the bootcamp for you (which I don't know how you would find one better) try these couple things (in my opinion) to get the most out of the course. Do the bonus objectives on all the projects even if it means coming back to it later and adding those steps. Take breaks...the course is supposed to be difficult. It will feel overwhelming sometimes. Ask questions early. Make good friends with your fellow cohort members. I learned ALOT from the people in my class. Sharpen your soft skills (which you will learn alot about too). Most importantly, drink coffee.

And on a lighter note: TAKE THE RISK. Don't get too concerned about knowing everything going into the course and don't be like me and let the intimidation ("Am I really smart enough for this?")  talk you out of starting. Get familiar with your personal learning style. Make sure you know how you learn best so you don't have to learn how to learn (like me) ...while you are learning...if that makes any sense. The question coming into any bootcamp seems to be "How can I get a job out of this" and if you can put that on hold for three months, dedicate lots of your time, and hone your skills, that question will answer itself.

That was wordy but hopefully it helps someone like me three months ago. I want to again, thank everyone at DevPoint and the students in my cohort for being incredible! 100% would refer this to anyone.

May Young James live on forever.

k love you bye.
  • Landon Whitesides  User Photo
    Landon Whitesides • Marketing Director and Junior Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I just finished the course with DevPoint Labs about 2 weeks ago. My experience was fantastic! The team did an awesome job at providing a course that was professional and challenging while also creating an atmosphere that was relaxed and personal. If you take this course you will for sure learn how to code, but you will also learn a ton about the culture and world of programming.

Our instructor, James Yeates was an amazing teacher! Our lessons were never (and I repeat NEVER) dry or boring or repetitive. Every day I learned something new, and something practical that I was able to use in my assignments later on that day. The curriculum moves quickly but not so much that you can't understand what is going on. Our class was also small enough that we were able to slow down or go a little faster depending on our collective learning speed.

I really can't say enough about this course. I was on the fence before I signed up about whether I should do the part-time or the full-time course and I can't express enough how glad I am that I did the full-time course. It's a sacrifice of time and money, but the payoff is more than worth it. This course literally changed the direction of my life. The amount of knowledge I gained in 3 months is enough to give me the confidence to go out and truly be a web developer. I definitely would recommend this course to anyone who is looking for an opportunity to change career directions and become a developer. You WILL NOT regret your decision.
  • Best Choice Ever!
    - 2/16/2021
    Sydne Hanks  User Photo
    Sydne Hanks • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Web development is one of the fastest-growing careers in today’s economy! Enrolling in DevPoint Labs was the smartest thing I have done so I can make a career move into technology. DevPoint is designed to help busy adults like me who had a full time job, while raising my daughter so I could develop the skills and professional network needed to capitalize on this high demand career track, through a convenient online format.  I absolutely loved learning from our very knowledgable teachers and TA's. I would highly recommend attending DevPoint Labs if you want a fast track into web development.
  • Rachel Wadsworth-Smith  User Photo
    Rachel Wadsworth-Smith • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     Going into DevPoint Labs was extremely challenging for me as I had no prior coding experience besides a few html and css lessons. Yes they do require you to complete a pre-course before starting which I did, but I recommend giving yourself a couple of months to get familiar with the basics by working through FreeCodeCamps  HTML, CSS and JavaScript courses because once you start the actual bootcamp it goes very fast and you will feel lost. Having said that I still had a wonderful time getting to know my class mates, working in a team environment and learning a LOT of new skills. The instructor and TA’s were extremely helpful if I had questions on anything they were always there to help guide me in the right direction.  The other nice thing about DevPoint is that once you’ve completed the entire course you still get to keep all the course information to go back and look through. You also have the ability of sitting in on lectures after the course is over which awesome. I'm glad to have completed this bootcamp and i'm happy to say I'm now a DevPointer for life.
  • Great bootcamp!!
    - 2/15/2021
    Taylor Collins  User Photo
    Taylor Collins • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    What I got out of this bootcamp far exceeded my lofty expectations going in. It provided the structure and support that I was looking for, and they have adapted exceptionally well to running this bootcamp remotely during COVID. The teachers were excelllent, and the TA's were helpful and available every time I had a question. I felt that I was able to get plenty of "1-on-1" time with the teacher and TA's as well.

The bootcamp focuses on ReactJS and Rails in a very practical way. I have graduated feeling like I am able to build web applications and have a very solid foundation to continue building on. Like any other educational endeavor, you get out of it what you put in, but if you enroll and are serious about the classes, assignments, and hackathons I think you will surprise yourself at the level of coding proficiency you achieve by the end.
  • Course Review
    - 2/14/2021
    Mel Fabella  User Photo
    Mel Fabella • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My favorite part of developing was the team aspect. I found out that one of my favorite things when it comes to web development is working with a group of people and problem-solving solutions together. My time at DevPoint Labs has helped me reach my potential. This course has given me a good foundation on how to excel in a career. I am very excited for the future, and I am incredibly thankful for everything that DevPoint has given me.
    My best advice for future students on how to stay a head of this course is to do and know all the pre-course work that they give you prior to the beginning of the course specially when you know little about coding and what was very helpful for me was to go over the class video lecture. It will help slow things down in a high accelerated course environment, specially when working a full time job.
  • 5 Stars
    - 2/13/2021
    Parker Jones  User Photo
    Parker Jones • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     DevPoint Labs has an incredible knack for teaching the fundamentals, providing assistance outside of class, and putting you on your feet to have the confidence to apply for jobs, create your own projects, and to continue learning and improving as a developer after you graduate. My favorite thing about DevPoint Labs is how they offer the ability for you to sit in on classes before you start and after you graduate, they WANT you to stay connected. Henry and Danny were the two primary instructors for the class and they brought this level of passion to what they do that inspired me. All staff members really show their passion for what they do and show you what you are learning opens so many more opportunities for you. Thank you to DevPoint Labs for having me apart of their program and I look forward to having an employer say "He's from DevPoint, we want him" or for someone to see a project I made and want to learn how to do so as well.
  • Ian Wilkinson  User Photo
    Ian Wilkinson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My time at DevPoint Labs was a great experience. With the COVID pandemic it was difficult to know if a bootcamp would be as valuable without in-person classes, but DPL did a great job to assuage those feelings from the get-go. They offer a free consultation with a staff member to answer any and all questions about the course, and to assure you that while this course can help you code, you will have to work hard at it. And that rang true, the course was an arduous journey but completely worth it. Our class had a wide range of experience, from CS degree owners to complete amateurs, but all of us felt comfortable with the class and its instructors. The staff are knowledgeable, approachable, and actual working web developers, so they have excellent insight on the industry and its expectations. Don't expect hand-holding, but the TA's are great at helping through bugs and frustrations that come with coding. I feel confident in my abilities to step into the web development world, and that stems from my time at DevPointLabs. The only minor issue I had was that you will have to research questions on the "why" of a concept on your own. This class is very much a practical tutorial on web design and development, so if you are curious on the essentials of code or specific mechanics of a language, expect to have a harder time than you would just using the knowledge given to you. This is a web development course, not a coding course after all!
  • Software Developer
    - 8/13/2020
    Micah C.  User Photo
    Micah C. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I think what's important to remember with any bootcamp is that you really do need to be 100% committed to using this experience as a springboard to what you want to do. It will get you exposed to the material, but of course won't get you the job. If you have the time, don't just use this opportunity to socialize. Study before class. Study after class. DO go online and complete the FreeCodeCamp HTML, CSS and JavaScript courses. Learn how to structure and style content but go ALL IN with JavaScript and programming fundamentals and concepts. Understand how the basics work at least before you start. Getting here and not knowing what the instructor is doing is just going to put you at a real disadvantage. Also, once you have the basics generally down, START STUDYING PRACTICE PROBLEMS. Study the Pomodoro exercise, FizzBuzz, Fibonachi sequence, etc. Make a cool 'about you' page beforehand and know Git like the back of your hand. Again, FreeCodeCamp has a great section just for interview prep. I'd do one problem a day and really understand it if I could do it over again.

Bottom line...If you're going to take this course, it's crucial you know what you're looking at BEFORE DPL and can actually engage in the daily exercises/challenges. If not, you'll feel frustrated or will just feel behind the whole time. Take this from someone who completed everything but was behind a lot because I didn't prepare as well as I should have.

Now that the tangent is behind me (haha), I will say that DevPoint was one of the most awesome experiences in my life based on the amazing people I met and the passion they have for the field. I moved on a whim from 1800 miles away knowing nobody and now have a life here. It took me several months, but I secured a position eventually. DPL has guest speakers in all the time (ask about the man the myth the legend Ken Wheeler) and really fun events (a few hackathons). Participate, participate, participate! Network all that you can and attend a few UtahJS meetups and make friends. Have something that will really impress people on Demo day  (no, I'm not talking about just the subject of the project you'll be assigned to build, but HOW IT WORKS!). Be able to explain how the frontend is structured, what API calls are being made, the basic backend makeup and functionality, the database..Just know how it's all connected and how the application works more than what it shows and you'll be golden. Let your nerd flag fly. LOVE DPL & LOVE UTAH.
  • It's Worth It!
    - 6/12/2020
    Amanda G.   User Photo
    Amanda G. • Application Specialist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had first started looking into bootcamps back in 2018 and spent months researching bootcamps - even going as far as to reach out to their former alumni. DevPoint Labs and their alumni were, as others have mentioned, very honest and upfront about what they could do for you and whatever they couldn’t do (mostly a job guarantee) they very much made up for in allowing plenty of other opportunities for networking and resources. Once I had decided on DPL as the bootcamp of my choice, I roped my husband into it as well knowing that he was tired of doing manual labor. And so, we packed up and set out from Florida to Utah and the rest was history.
                Walking away from DPL what I can tell you is that the program is only as challenging as you want it to be and you definitely will only take away the amount that you put in. We could have stopped at the minimal requirements for assignments and finished right at the end of the day, but we found ourselves (and our classmates) eager to learn and would often stay well after or stay up late programming until midnight to try and tackle those bonus challenges. (Seriously, do them)
               The TAs and staff are so incredibly helpful and patient too and were able to assist us in whatever crazy ideas we had for a coding project. If they didn’t know something, they were also eager to figure it out along with us. It really made the learning experience unique and by the end of the cohort, it felt like one big coding family.
                Fast-forward nearly a year after DPL, I still think it is one of the best decisions we could have ever made for ourselves and for our future. With the programming skills and logic that I acquired from DPL, I was fortunate enough to land myself in an administrative role in Texas as an Application and Program Specialist for an entire district just 3 months after graduating. It has opened our eyes to see that DPL didn’t just prepare us for a Web Dev role, they provided us with the foundational skills we needed to get into any role we desired in IT, whether it be IT administration or development. Any bootcamp that can offer that much is time and money well spent in my opinion.
  • Life Changer
    - 4/1/2020
    Pedro Buigas  User Photo
    Pedro Buigas • Web Application Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    **Obligatory "you get what you put in"
    I came in with minimal frontend experience. Three months after graduation I got my first dev job working for a company in Tokyo.

What originally attracted me to DevPoint was their honesty. They were the only bootcamp in my area I spoke with that didn't give a sales pitch, and I very much appreciated that. The faculty was knowledgable and the staff, with their easy-going attitudes, helped relieve the stress of an intense curriculum by organizing many events throughout the program.

I was part of a very motivated and talented cohort that helped me push through. When you see the people around you poring over the workload, it makes it easier to do the same.

As for job assistance, they don't guarantee you a job after graduation, but they do a good job preparing you for entering the job market and setting expectations.
    ** Obligatory keep practicing and learning.

Less than a year after graduation I find myself in Tokyo doing what I love. It's safe to say attending DevPoint was one of the best decisions I've ever made.