sabio-logo

Sabio

Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Oakland, Online, Orange County, Riverside, Sacramento, San Diego, Seattle

Sabio

Sabio is a developer community offering 12-week full-time coding bootcamps in Los Angeles and Orange County. Sabio focuses on .NET/C# and trains across the full-stack in Mobile, Front End, Back End, Source Control, Database and Development platforms. Its project-based learning curriculum and pedagogy provide a superior training experience that exposes its students to the full software development life cycle.

The Sabio curriculum prepares students for entry-level developer jobs by including a real-world project for a client and 4 weeks of career support and guidance. Students also get 6-12 weeks of instructor-led pre-work before starting the intensive bootcamp. All students have access to Sabio's extended mentorship and their professional development program for five years. Sabio instructors have over 100 years of combined professional software engineering experience. Their commitment to small classrooms and expert instruction gives students an edge when competing in the job market.

Sabio is approved by the state of California and is also a founding member and current board member of CIRR, a coding industry organization seeking to provide transparency in outcomes reporting, illustrating their commitment to student outcomes and truth in advertising. Sabio innovates based on experience, expertise and market knowledge.

Applicants do not need previous programming experience, but individuals with prior experience are placed in a faster track than others. The application process at Sabio identifies motivated and engaged students from a variety of backgrounds. Past students include those with advanced degrees in Computer Science, Engineering but also Musicology, Psychology, Finance, Mathematics and many others. All applicants should have a great personality, work ethic, and ability to solve basic logic problems.

Recent Sabio Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (203) reviews for Sabio →

Recent Sabio News

Read all (37) articles about Sabio →
  • Downtown LA ASP.Net // C# Full Stack With React

LocationLos Angeles, Online
    Microsoft's .Net Platform is an industry leading framework known for its reliability and wide scale adoption in both small startups and large enterprise organizations. Our Full Stack .Net course will prepare you for the major challenges and opportunities as a software engineer. Learn the client-side frameworks like React, database architectures, APIs, tools and soft skills you need to master Asp.Net and launch your career in just 12 weeks. Master the full stack, and graduate with a deep understanding of both the front and back-end web development that employers are seeking. Our curriculum is open and flexible, and your course instructor will be an industry veteran that’s dedicated 100% to your success.
    • Income Share Agreement
    • SkillsFund
    • SallieMae
    • All Major Credit Cards Accepted
    Tuition PlansMonthly Payments Are Allowed
    Refund / GuaranteeYes, fully pro-rated. State of CA does not all Gurantee.
    Scholarship$5,000 General Coding Scholarship $5,500 Women in Tech Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelSome JavaScript
    Prep WorkYes for free
  • Full Stack Weekday - REMOTE

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationLos Angeles, Riverside, Online, Orange County
    The full stack program will equip you to utilize a myriad of software development tools used by industry professionals to develop, debug and design dynamic web applications; conducting both front-end and back-end development, application program interfaces (API’s), back-end data stores such as relational database management systems (RDMS) and team development strategies. The course will prepare you to perform the duties of a typical entry-level Full Stack Web Developer. A Full Stack Web Developer is a programmer with a technical skill set that allows them to perform in client side, server side/middle tier, and backend-database development environments. Their main tasks are to develop, design and debug software that runs in a cross-browser environment served out of a web server backed by a database server for data persistence. The course will allow you to be substantially knowledgeable in the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) from concept to finished product and the ability to specialize, if they choose, in anything from front-end to back-end development technologies. You will obtain the knowledge and skills to develop relational databases and work with data that is not stored in a relational manner. They will interact with their own API’s and third party API’s. They will also be exposed to many User Interface and User Experience (UI and UX) () design concerns while building an understanding of how to gather customer and client requirements. They will be fluent in performing quality assurance testing and fundamental security concerns. Specifically, the course will produce a programmer/developer that can work with many of the most popular design patterns, third party APIs, libraries and technologies including but not limited to: HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Bootstrap, MVVM, MVC, AngularJS, jQuery, Ajax, Inversion of Control, Dependency Injection, Principles of Object Oriented Design, Data Structures, Data Access, Database Design and Architecture, GIS, SMS, SMTP and RESTFul Api Design. Sabio focuses on a single, group based project that exposes you to the full Software Development Life Cycle as experienced in a team practicing Agile/Scrum project management and development principles.

Tuition PlansOnly through financing, not through the institution.
    Refund / GuaranteeYes, tuition is pro-rated
    Minimum Skill LevelNo programming background required
    Prep WorkMinimum of 1 PreWork course (4 weeks) or successfully passing the assessment.
  • Irvine ASP.Net // C# Full Stack With React

LocationOrange County
    Microsoft's .Net Platform is an industry leading framework known for its reliability and wide-scale adoption in both small startups and large enterprise organizations. Our Full Stack .Net course will prepare you for the major challenges and opportunities as a software engineer. Learn the client-side frameworks like React, database architectures, APIs, tools and soft skills you need to master Asp.Net and launch your career in just 12 weeks. Master the full stack, and graduate with a deep understanding of both the front and back-end web development that employers are seeking. Our curriculum is open and flexible, and your course instructor will be an industry veteran that’s dedicated 100% to your success.
    Tuition Plans60/20/20
    Refund / GuaranteeYes, program is pro-rated when it comes to cost. State of CA does not allow us to provde a job gurantee, otherwise we would.
    Minimum Skill LevelJavaScript
    Prep Work4 weeks of javascript for $99
  • Node.js Full Stack with React

LocationLos Angeles
    Train in React and also Node.js for the back-end. Become an awesome full stack web developer that knows how to create elegant and efficient databases, beautiful pages that render super fast. Secure the exact interview training needed to launch your amazing career in tech.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansMonthly Tuition Plan Are Available
    Refund / GuaranteeTuition is prorated
    ScholarshipJill H. Mays Women in Tech $5,500
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic JavaScript
    Prep WorkComplete Sabio's Online PreWork Course

• $5000 Sabio Scholarship - Women In Tech

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Sabio scholarship for $5000 off tuition!

No eligibility restrictions.

• Full Stack Node.js with React (Los Angeles)

• Best prework!
    - 11/1/2019
    Hipolito Nunez  User Photo
    Hipolito Nunez • Fullstack Developer Verified via GitHub

I had the opportunity of attending two coding boot camps before I was offered a coding job and would like to compare and contrast two coding academies, Sabio and Hack Reactor. Sabio, As per https://www.coursereport.com/schools/sabio is a 5 stars coding academy and Hack Reactor a 4.5.

Sabio is an outstanding place to learn for several reasons, Sabio is small (they do have campuses in LA and Irvine) so you get a one on one approach directly from the founder or from one of the instructors. During the precourse, they provide 3 hours of one on one assitance with an experienced instructor and since the school is small some days you have an instructor for 3 hours providing exclusive assistance with your prework and you also get a promptly response in one of their slack channels.

Their prework is pretty awesome, you solve individual problems that connect to an API (Appliacation Programming Interface) that will let you know immediately when you have solved each specific task. The entire prework was developed and updated by the instructors evidence of their coding knowledge. The prework is organized in components and each components has a video explaining the concept and each component.

Hack Reactor was purchased by galvanize and is a pretty fancy rich school with lots advertizements so their classes are so big that you get the feeling that you are just a number. Their prework is a bit ambigious, you submit it and never hear from the instructors, they don’t have xoom conferences until you pass the prework, so you are really on your own during prework. Their slack channels do provide assistance but most of it come from other students.

Overall, I recommend a small school that can give you attention and is not a beurocratic juggernut.

• Richard Comeau  User Photo
    Richard Comeau • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I was in the military for seven years and had a job lined up that would allow me to finish my degree in Management in Information Systems. It was a great plan- till COVID 19 hit. A lot of things changed, and the job I had lined out at separation fell through. I decided that I need to make a hard pivot and make a change. I looked through my VA benefits and found that I could receive funding for technical training. I explored my option, and while researching, I found Sabio. I did an info session and quickly decided to put all my chips into this career path.

You do a free Pre Work course that ensures that you have the base level skills to do well in the program. At the end of the Pre Work, you do an assessment. If you do well, you are chosen and accepted to participate in an incredible and intensive program.

Ensure that you have all your personal affairs inline because for the next three months, it is 12 hours days Monday-Friday and an 8 hour day on Saturday. You'll be pushed to learn a great deal of stuff in a small window to perform challenging tasks. It sounds like a lot because it is. However, do you want to change your career into a high paying job with a bright future? Then it is worth it.

At a certain point in the program, you will develop an application for an entrepreneur. They'll have demands and needs that you'll have to fulfill. Doing work for an entrepreneur is great because you are now essentially working as a contractor on a real product and working in an Agile environment.

There is assistance during and at the end to get into employment. Just because you finish the program doesn't mean that your time with Sabio is over. They continue to engage with you. There are other opportunities to listen to speakers, enroll again for certifications, and be surrounded by dedicated programmers. Sabio Nation is incredible.

I got my first job as an Associate Software Engineer position 11 days after graduation. This position provides for my family and puts me on a path for many different opportunities. I can't express the amount of gratitude I have for Liliana and Gregorio. I went from no options after the Navy to being a desirable worker in the tech space.
  • Jacob Washington  User Photo
    Jacob Washington • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    For those of you looking for a quick summary, Sabio is... a bust. You're lured in with excellent marketing, a plethora of well produced testimonials, and, if you're like me, the rap video starring the school's cofounder and CTO is the straw the breaks the camel's back. "This is the perfect coding school for me," I thought. But, just like a damsel awaiting her prince in shining armor, my expectations were too high.

Things started off well. I was a VA student using my VOC Rehab benefits to cover tuition, and Liliana and Gregorio were eager to have me on board. They made exceptions for me, allowing me an extra month of Prework and access to the Irvine campus while it was supposed to be closed (Covid-19). I found myself a bit frustrated with the Prework process and lack of access to live instruction, but they assured me that once I was in bootcamp, my instructors would be available to guide me as much as I might need. And so I pressed on through the Prework, taking them at their word, passed the entrance exam with only one incorrect answer, and was excited to start the bootcamp that following Monday.

Monday came, and I was ready. I'm the type of student that's eager to jump in, is the first to speak up when asked for input, and I'm not afraid to encourage and support peers who need encouragement and support. I'm confident that if you asked any person in my cohort (C88), they would agree that, up until the final month of training, the characteristics I've assigned myself are true. But slowly, along the way, I grew increasingly discouraged, and as much I've tried to find my own fault in it, I cannot, at this point, deny that Sabio's failure to provide patient, positive, and meaningful instruction, as well as their tendency to intimidate and bully student's who're unhappy with their pedagogy, ultimately drove my discouragement to disillusion.

The first time I spoke up, it was too late. It was July 6th (nearly 4 months into my time at Sabio, counting Prework), and I sent Gregorio a private message on Slack, detailing my growing sense of despair. Instructors on the Q did not take the time to ensure I understood a solution to a problem, rather they solved it for me or gave such vague guidance that I found myself more confused. On the Q, instructors frequently seemed bothered by my questions and lack of understanding, and I was met with condescending tones often after waiting an hour or more to even ask my question. The Wiki (online reference guide for code) was more a collection of code snippets, rather than something I could turn to for deeper understanding of things I needed to grasp. I felt, strongly, that while others may have been able to work through these barriers, I was "slipping through the cracks." And those were my words to Gregorio. I pleaded for the instruction that I needed, deserved, and used invaluable time and resources to attain, and the response I got? "I told you so."

Gregorio went pointed me back to the orientation videos in which he tells you to prepare for feeling like you can't do it. But if he'd at all took the content of my message seriously, he'd have clearly seen that I was confident in my ability to make it, confident that I could learn the skills they claim to teach and confident that I would be, in less than a years time, a Full Stack Developer with no prior background in tech. But rather than asking that his instructors be more patient, rather than asking that they adapt their attitudes and approach to teach briefly, to support a student who wanted to learn skills they possessed badly, I was told that I should drop the course. "Listen," Gregorio said. "If you're not confident that things are going to work out by now, then you should just drop the course." He went on to explain all the ways in which he felt I failed as a student. I didn't ask questions well. I didn't make sense of the Wiki the way I should have. I shouldn't have been so sensitive to the instructors passive-aggressive, dismissive, and belittling tones, because people in tech have strong personalities. I felt ambushed. I felt defeated. I felt that in asking for help, I would receive it. And instead I was scolded and rebuked. But I'm one to always put a positive spin to things. I tried to see it from Gregorio's perspective, and convinced myself that should I head his advice, I could still come out of Sabio with the knowledge and ability to creative beautiful, responsive, scaleable web applications and land my first gig as a Web Developer.

Fast forward to August, I've headed all of Gregorio's advice, and find myself essentially in the same place. My graduation date is set for the 14th, and I can build components in React, but not build a React App. I can tell you what I need to build an API on .Net, but I can't actually build it. The only place I truly felt like the training clicked, was in building databases in SQL, and that's really not much more impressive than learning to count to 10. And so, when Gregorio sent me an email on August 11th asking why I hadn't been very active on the slack channels or morning standup meetings, I told him that I had not made progress. That I felt disappointed in the quality of instruction and training I received, and that all the same issues I'd said were contributing to my sense of despair in July had consisted, and prevented me from completing my training with satisfactory competence.

And that's when they really let me down. Without my knowledge, Gregorio and Liliana contacted my Voc Rehab counselor, requesting that I be removed from the program. They claimed that I had communicated to them that I could no longer participate in the program, something that was not remotely true (particularly as there were 4 days left for my cohort). I confronted them in an email which CC'd my counselor, informing them that their claim was not factual, and clarifying for my counselor what was actually said. I then received another message from Gregorio, separate from the string in which my counselor was CC'd, which claimed I was in violation of Sabio's attendance policy, and that they had grounds for dismissal. I reviewed the policy, found that I was not in fact in violation of it, and responded to Gregorio asking that he explain what exactly qualified me for dismissal. I asked that he ensure any further communications include my counselor, to ensure that no further accusations were made without proper representation being present to witness. I never received a reply, and the next day, with 2 days of training left, my access to Sabio's training site, as well as my cohort's slack channel and all other lines of communication, were cut off. I emailed Gregorio asking that he clarify whether I'd been dropped from the program or not, and again did not receive a reply.

Tomorrow is my graduation from Sabio. I participated for the entirety of the program until my access was blocked. I contributed to the "Client Project", and my work can be seen on the site still. They'd already sent a copy of my Certificate of Completion to my counselor, and yet, I've been dropped from the program. This, without any explanation or further communication from any person at the school.

I truly hope that my experience here has not been anyone else's, and that if Sabio is successful, it's because they've recognized their flaws and corrected their course. I do not recommend this school to anyone, though at one point I even helped them promote the school on my personal social media. Sabio was, by far, the worst decision I've made in my academic and professional career to this point. Do not make the same mistake I did.

..-.  ..-  -.-.  -.-   -.--  ---  ..-   --.  .-.  .  --.  ---  .-.  ..  ---  .-.-.-
    Response From: Liliana Aide Monge of Sabio
    Title: Co-Founder & CEO
    Wednesday, Sep 02 2020
    Our program is intensive, which is why we call it a coding bootcamp.  We offer Senior Instructors from Monday  - Friday all day from 9am - 6pm, and often on Saturdays, our Co-Founder and CTO, Gregorio will also help students.

We understand that during COVID alot of students are eager to train with us in-person, on-campus like we have done for many years; however, the health emergency does not allow for that.

These are all very difficult times for everyone, and everyone at Sabio is still working full time schedules, while juggling the pandemic, kids at home, and loved-ones that may be unwell.

We provide all of our students with 100% support and assistance, no other program in the nation offers the type of contact hours with a Senior Instructor as we do, and we build amazing products that help you launch our career in tech.  C88 graduated less than 2 weeks ago, and already 5 people have found meaningful employment, and many more will continue to do so.

We understand the program is stressful, and we are a technical training program that is condensed. You already explained that you were with us much longer than the typical student. And we can accommodate various schedules; however, we cannot tolerate that our faculty and team members be spoken to with flagrant redistrict.

We stand by all of our training materials, as we are a Candidate for Accreditation via the Council for Occupational Education, and BPPE re-approved our 5 year license in Feb 2020.  We also go through audits via the VA. We know that our program is top-notch, albeit intensive.

We wish you nothing but the best, and know you have learned a lot during the many months you were with Sabio, and wish you luck in your career journey.

Sincerely, Liliana Aide Monge

• Caitlin Stobie  User Photo
    Caitlin Stobie • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated two weeks ago and already have a job as a full stack software engineer for double the income i was making before! The staff is so helpful and accommodating and make the whole experience worthwhile. I learned so much, made some lifelong friends, and had fun all the while. I also received the women in tech scholarship and could not be more grateful to Sabio for all of their help getting me ready for my new career journey.
  • Sabio Works
    - 3/7/2020
    Brian  User Photo
    Brian • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came back to the United States after 4 years abroad with no job prospects, no idea what I was going to do, and zero programming experience whatsoever. I found my way to Sabio and just over 6 months later I had 4 job offers and literally went from 0 to 60K. But make no mistake, learning full stack web development from nothing is not easy. It takes a tremendous amount of time, hard work, dedication, and determination. Show Sabio all of the above, and the entire Sabio community will support you for your entire web development career. Sabio delivered exactly what it promised. Sabio works.
  • Umiko Hewett  User Photo
    Umiko Hewett • Full stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This is not just another online class. Sabio was there 100% of the way to help you on this coding journey. The instructors are knowledgeable, ready to help and is always full of great advice. Even though I was remote I was still able to get valuable instruction and help when I needed it. Everyone at Sabio is comitted to your learning experience and success and that is a wonderful feeling knowing that they care and want you succeed. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to be a part of this program and I have a coding family for life! Thank you Sabio!
  • Joseph Valdez  User Photo
    Joseph Valdez • .Net Developer/ QA Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Sabio is the best investment, in time and money, you could possibly make for yourself!  The course is very rigorous but as long as you give it your best effort you will be alright. Gregorio and Liliana run a great program and all the instructors are top notch. There isn't any hand holding throughout the cohort. The instructors are not there to give you the answers to all of the problems that you run into but they are there to guide you in your journey to figure them out for yourself. This is where I feel that Sabio is the greatest at. Anyone can learn to code but the difficulty lies in learning how to understand problems and solving them in the most efficient way possible.

After graduating from the cohort and many interviews and rejections you do start to wonder if you have the skills you need to get that dream developer job. Well do not worry because you undoubtedly do. The support you get from everyone at Sabio is amazing. Even after graduating I was able to get on zoom calls with my instructor, Danny, and he helped me with a problem I was running into. Now just a month after graduating I have landed a job in career field I would not have thought possible just a few months prior. So do yourself a favor and give Sabio a chance, you won't regret it.

• Highly Recommended
    - 3/28/2019
    Derek  User Photo
    Derek • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Owners/Instructors: Gregorio and Liliana are the hardest working business owners I know. While they expect developers to be coding 70+ hours/week, I can almost guarantee you Gregorio and Liliana are working even harder researching what tech stacks are in highest demand to best prepare Sabio students for landing a job, partnering with non-profits and entrepreneurs for real projects for their students to work on, and being in contact with current students and fellows, helping in every way they can to support them in the job hunting process. The instructors are the best in the industry, providing the right amount of instruction and mentorship to help you become a good developer.

Format/Classes: PreWork gets you ready for cohort, it's face-paced and challenging, but like anything else, if you are willing to do the work and follow the instructor's coaching, you'll get through it with no problem. Cohort simulates an actual professional development environment with student developers working on real-life projects for entrepreneurs and non-profits. The website our cohort created is published and the user base is growing. This real project and my contributions gave me all I needed to sell my skills and experience during the interview process and helped me land a job earning $75,000 shortly after graduating from Sabio (note: Getting a job soon after graduating is in no way a guarantee, as Gregorio and Liliana have no control over how you spend your time. If you're putting in 5 applications a week, don't expect a job offer right away. Keep in mind you're going against every other job seeker in the region for these jobs, so play the numbers. I averaged 50 applications/day every single day until I had an offer. It takes discipline--that's something you have to find in yourself--and confidence--which you should also find in yourself when reflecting on how much you've learned over such a short period of time and the contributions you made to your project.).

What separates Sabio from other bootcamps? First, I don't see Sabio as another bootcamp, because bootcamps typically don't prepare developers as well as Sabio. In my first role coming out of Sabio, the word "bootcamp" never came up during the interview process or even when I started until my team started to get to know me and wanted to hear where I learned to code. The guy who filled my position before me had more than 5 years experience as a developer, and the fixes/features I had to finish that he started were full of indications that he frequently ignored industry standards (like triple-nested loops in SQL), and the senior developers on my team constantly complement the simplicity and cleanliness of my code and applaud my coding standards... all practices that Sabio taught me and prepared me for. When employers ask me about my lack of experience (less than 2 years) when applying for a job asking for 3-5 years experience, I confidently tell them, "I understand other developers may have more years experience than I do, but I'm confident that if you put me up against them, you'd see that my skills and practices are competitive with theirs." This confidence comes from the best industry practices that Sabio grills into us.

Impact/Result: Before Sabio, I was stuck in an entry-level purgatory, never making more than $50,000/year without working a ton of overtime. I found Sabio while looking for a coding bootcamp that accepted the GI Bill, did my research and found Sabio to have the highest credibility, which was more important to me than any promised results that a lot of bootcamps offer. Three weeks after graduating from Sabio, I had an offer for my first developer role, a Junior Software Developer making $75,000/year with full benefits. That's 50% more than my previous highest salary. Six months later, and I'm getting interviewed for jobs in the $85,000 to $95,000 range, and some even in the six-figure range. Less than 1 year from graduating...

Thank you, Sabio.

• William Morris  User Photo
    William Morris Verified via LinkedIn

It can be a rather difficult choice to spend a significant amount of money and time in a coding bootcamp program. Let me tell you that it is a choice that I am happy made. I had my doubts about going to a trade school but there are skills here that you simply will not be taught in a university.

Even if you have a CS degree you will not be taught some of the modern technologies used in today's industry like React JS. Sabio offers a 4 week prework program where you go over the basics in jQuery, javascript and html. It is held three times a week. I would highly recommend this if you have little to know experience in web development. If you pass their assessment you will continue on to their Week 0 where you go over a series of tasks using the same languages and libraries.

Then the bootcamp begins.

It is very difficult for thos that have litte experience in web development to adjust to the technologies that they will learn. Some will laugh, some will cry and some will curse at their computer. When you have questions you will put yourself on the queue. You HAVE to try to solve your own problems but if you are simply stuck, that is when the instructor will answer your questions. The instructors are reluctant to help if you are asking very basic questions that can be answered with a simple stack overflow search.

The instructors are extremely knowledgeable, especially Gregorio. They may not answer your questions all the time but they do know what they are talking about.

One of the things I enjoyed about this school the most was the family atmosphere. Liliana and Gregorio (owners) truly have your best interest in mind. That is one thing that I immedately felt when I visited Sabio and met instructors and owners. You can ask them for advice on many things related to tech, jobs and more. The slack community that you will be a part of is full of positive people, new job leads and tech questions/answers.

I am a few weeks out of Sabio and I have received an offer from a lead that I got in the Slack channel that an alumni posted. Just put your head down, do the work and keep moving forward no matter how hard things get.

If you're on the fence about joining Sabio, you will not regret it. TRUST ME. You will learn the tech that you need to be a pro in this field and you will advance much faster than if you tried learning this stuff on your own.

• Excellent program!
    - 3/28/2019
    Miles  User Photo
    Miles • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

If you’re looking for a career change or want to get to grips with coding Sabio is a fantastic investment. I had a wonderful experience at Sabio in Culver City, where I met some brilliant people and learnt copious amounts of new skills.

During pre work you learn the fundamentals of web development for four weeks and are required to take an assessment at the end to see if you are prepared for labs. In labs you dive further into the material that you have learnt and are exposed to more advanced concepts and challenging tasks.

For the cohort itself, there are two options, .NET and node. I decided to go with the .NET route as it gave me the opportunity to learn another programming language with expert instruction, I thought that if could get through the bootcamp I would be able to teach myself Node afterwards when I come out. The program sets you up extremely well for the job market, it teaches you the fundamentals and the latest technologies that you will need to succeed as a software developer. We had fantastic instructors for our project that made the entire learning process very enjoyable and manageable. We would do daily scrum meetings and the classroom environment was always clean and accommodating. The bootcamp is demanding but if you are motivated, enjoy learning and want to get into the tech industry then this is a wonderful opportunity for you. There is also financial help that you can get, I managed to get a scholarship for the program which helped me immensely.  This time last year I was considering checking out the bootcamp, after learning so many new skills, making new friends, working with some brilliant minds and with numerous offers for interesting work over $65 000 a year I am extremely pleased that I did.

Thank you to Gregorio, Liliana and all of my wonderful instructors that made this possible for me!

• Consistency Is Key
    - 3/26/2019
    Devonte gabriel  User Photo
    Devonte gabriel • IT Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Let me start off with a thank you to Gregorio and Liliana, because of these two I was able to attain the skills necessary to change my life for the better and support my family effortlessly. I started the course through Antioch University because I'm a military veteran my GI Bill paid for the boot camp. the class environment was normal you sit in for a lecture with your computer open and code along with the instructor while you learn the basics. every day in class builds on what you learned the day before so it is best to always be coding so that you can build on what you know or do more research into it. after about three months of that, we took an exit test (code challenge) over the material learned. the next phase was the cohort which is structured to imitate a work environment. at the time I was there we were expected to code for at least 70 hours a week and yes that sounds like a lot but it is worth it at the end. we had a scrum meeting in the morning when we came in and one in the middle of the day for progress. the instructors are very helpful and they are all approachable if you have questions. what I appreciated the most was that the instructors never gave the answers when you ask them for help instead they tell you how to find the answers so the next time you are stuck you know what to do. that's not to say they don't help because they will if they point you in the right direction and after 20-30 minutes you're still stuck they will begin to drop more hints but the goal is for you to learn how to work through your code and learn to debug code properly. Sabio is like a family to me the people I met through the camp and the alumni are super helpful they pass job leads to you and they will refer you to there recruiters if their job is hiring. we all keep in touch through slack and as alumni, we are always welcome to come back if we want to be in an environment that promotes coding. It is easily a no brainer if you have the Time and want to change careers or get deeper into the developer scene Join the Sabio family

• Tread Carefully
    - 3/24/2019
    frank  User Photo
    frank • Student Verified via GitHub

This review is for the PreWork in Orange County.

I had been looking into bootcamps in the area. After visiting quite a few, I liked Sabio’s approach (prework, labs, then working on a live project, learn by doing philosophy, experienced developer teachers, friendly towards minorities and women, etc)

It was by far the worst class I may have ever attended for anything, ever.

The teacher was really ill prepared, glancing at the online syllabus and zooming through concepts without really explaining them. I even knew everything he was talking about since I had taken a class on CSS/HTML, had been building websites, and had already passed a rigorous javascript assessment at another bootcamp to test into their camp, and even I was confused at what he was trying to say or explain. He kept singling out one guy in particular and chastising him for not being in slack correctly, not knowing how to download applications, etc. He basically shamed most of the class for not knowing “easy” stuff they just hadn’t learned yet.

He also kept making declarations like “I learned HTML and CSS in two days by looking at the chrome dev tools!” and “It’s not rocket science, guys!” Then harassing the crowd for questions, then asking “Does everyone understand?!”, then getting angry when everyone didn’t immediately say “Yes!”.

What really cinched it for me is when he started writing on the flat screen TV in the rented office, to the audible gasp of the class. One person asked him, “What are you doing?” and he said, “It’s not mine, so I don’t care if I break it. Whatever, they should buy insurance.” He then proceeded to tell us to use the !important css feature, which any novice knows is horrible convention for just any old thing, and when someone in the class said, “Aren’t you never supposed to use that?”, he responded with, “Well, whatever, if it was some other developer’s code, I’m not going to waste a bunch of my time fixing their mistakes.” So his lack of respect for other people’s things extended to his coding philosophy as well.

He also told a room of new developers to start by using forms already available through extensions in Visual Studio when writing in html, javascript, and css, instead of actually learning how to do it themselves before relying on these tools. Had I done that when I first started, I probably wouldn’t be able to effectively build responsive web pages now because I wouldn’t fully understand what was going on.

The troubling thing to me is that apparently, this guy has been working for the company for a year and a half now part-time teaching this course, and no one had caught these mistakes.

The owners (who are actually a married couple) have been told about this numerous times, and their attitude is “you don’t like it, leave”. They’ve also been known to yell at students and kick people out of the bootcamp if they’re not quick enough, since they’re really concerned with their statistics (at least they have them though, and they’re legitimate since they’re a part of CIRR).

I would recommend some teacher training because a lot of this is probably correctable with a little bit of guidance (a workshop on appropriately timed pauses, how to ask concept checking questions, asking students for code examples, maybe getting the dude a projector so he doesn’t break the TV, etc.).

On the upside, I also talked to someone who had gone through the bootcamp and highly recommended it, but voiced similar issues about this one teacher and said the rest of them were super patient, kind and understanding, which I believe due to Sabio’s success rates and other people I’ve met who teach there and work with the program.

On the downside, I’ve talked to others who said that harshness and lack of teaching competency is Sabio’s thing, and that they skew their stats by kicking people out who don’t “make the cut”. So I suppose it depends.

Overall, I would recommend attending a PreWork class. The first one is free, and it’s a good way to decide for yourself. I personally ended up attending another bootcamp.

A word of advice: Online reviews are definitely skewed. Bootcamps in general pick and choose who they ask for a review, and it's hard to say no. Even emailing people on LinkedIn can get you biased reviews because people don’t want to hurt their reputation in the industry. I would recommend going to tech meetups, and asking around, a lot. Try to find someone who’s working and attended a bootcamp, who’s your similar gender and ethnicity. It’s the only reliable way to find out what a place is actually like.

Response From: Liliana & Gregorio of Sabio
    Title: CEO & CTO
    Wednesday, Mar 27 2019
    When you reported this same feedback last year we spoke to at least half of the people in the prework course. No one reported the same experience as you. In fact, all the feedback we received about our instructor was very positive. What you experienced as "negative attitude" was received by everyone else in a very different way.  We discussed the feedback with the instructor
    and have we have an added sensitivity to the types of items you have described. The popularity of this instructor remains strong.

Writing on the TV sure does sound bad, but we often write on screens/glass walls with dry erase marker. It is not it's intended use as it sometimes requires a bit more clean up, but in general we have not experienced any issues with it.

With regards to expelling students, Sabio will dismiss people for violating the code of conduct which is common practice in the industry. The only people that ever complain about us doing that are the people that are asked to leave. Those complaints range from negative reviews to threats and only serve to confirm we have done the right thing.

Otherwise, the idea that we dismiss people to for any other reason could not be further from the truth.

Liliana and I wholeheartedly agree with you about review sites. We always ask candidates to do their research and ask a ton of questions to as many people as they can find. We are in favor of consumer protection as well as being very outspoken about quality education and staff and overall transparency. You can read all about that on our blog.

Take your review instance. We do not find it surprising that based on recent news in our Sabio Nation you decided to come on here and attack our instructor(s) and us on a personal level. We do have a tight community and know very well that the only things that spreads faster than good news, is the news intended to rain on someone else’s good day.

The other personal comments regarding who we are and how we do it require no other feedback. We are happy to let our work speak for itself.

• Carl M. Cartagena  User Photo
    Carl M. Cartagena • Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Sabio is amazing! As a person who never graduated from college but always had an intense work ethic, Sabio was the perfect solution for me to get into coding! Throughout my career I’ve found that learning and observing a professional is the best way to understand how to do the job using the best practices. I worked on a project which was using the stack React, Angular, Mongo, Express, and Node. It is a boot-camp like atmosphere but you have to understand that I came in not knowing how to code and almost freaked me out at first jumping into something that I have never done before but yet always wanted to do. The project that me and my cohort worked on prepared me for my current job as a working developer. There are some very unique things to learn like understanding realistic time frames for features, how code is actually written using best practices, code review for source control, agile/scrum project management, and being able to convey and explain features that I created in a professional manner. There were some people in my cohort that had some experience in coding but you should understand that the program is designed to challenge all levels of developer. I valued every hour that I spent there (70 hours per week) and learned as much as I could from our Senior Developer. I recommend  going to a Sabio Info Session and they can explain everything in more detail! As a creative maker/tinkerer person, I understand that knowing how to code is almost like having a super power! You can literally create anything. I highly recommend Sabio and for me, they are the best coding program in Los Angeles hands down!! Thank you so much Gregorio and Liliana!

Sabio Outcomes

Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 39 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.