Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on your passion for becoming a developer by gauging your coding experience.
The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.
Makers Academy also offers a software engineering apprenticeship and fellowship as a pathway to a long-term career as a software developer. You don’t pay tuition and on completion of the course, you will become a Makers employee for 12 months and will work on site with a hiring partner with continued support from the Makers Academy coaches and careers team. Fellowship applicants must demonstrate a technical ability that outshines other candidates — Makers is looking to invest in outstanding individuals and a more inclusive tech future.
With one of the UK’s largest Careers team dedicated to finding you a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco).
Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.81
Recent Makers Academy News
- May 2020 Coding Bootcamp News
- Coding Bootcamps + Coronavirus: Updates, Scholarships and Tips for Learning Online
- Coding Bootcamps + Coronavirus: Updates, Scholarships and Tips for Learning Online
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week11 Weeks
Deposit £800.00 FinancingLending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid Tuition Plans Available through 3rd parties Scholarship £500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
Minimum Skill Level We expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges. Prep Work To prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
Makers Academy Reviews
185 reviews sorted by:
- The Direction and tools I needed!- 5/19/2020Patrick Oliver • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedInHave you ever wanted to learn something, but you just can't fathom how to begin learning?
I doubt I will ever face this problem again thanks to the self learning skills that Makers Academy has set me up with.
The holistic approach to their learning is simply refreshing, and effective. Equipping you with no only the skills and tools needed to secure a career in Software, but also the roadmap to becoming a more balanced and emotionally intelligent person. Equipping you with the skills to learn independently and effectively.
This truly has been an amazing experience, One I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone interesting in forging a career in tech.
Just do it!
- Web Development Bootcamp- 5/6/2020Toby Dawson • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedInI really enjoyed my Makers experience, the course is really well thought out and keeps you busy 100% of the time. Being onsite at Makers breeds a really brilliant work environment and atmosphere. The pair programming and team projects are really well thought out and its great to be able to step away from coding occasionally and play some ping pong.
- Katie • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedInSupportive staff who want you to succeed. A fast paced course to introduce you with some of the needed skills to get a job as a dev. Lots of focus on wellbeing and becoming a better and more rounded person. Would be better if there were staff available to help in the afternoon as sometimes in projects you can become stuck and could help to move forwards quicker.
- Fantastic Experience!- 3/5/2020Liat • Student • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via GitHubHaving had limited tech experience before Makers, I found the interview and the pre-course really helped prepare me for the course. While it is a lot of work, the coaches, projects and reviews help prepare us for what it's like working in the tech field.
I had a truly fantastic experience at Makers. The support from staff from getting on the course all the way to finding a job made a huge impact on my time here. For anyone who can put in the time and make the commitment I think it's a fantastic opportunity but it is important to keep in mind that it is a self-lead journey and you get out what you put in.
For anyone looking to make the career change into software I would definitely recommend this course!
- An Eye Opening Experience- 3/4/2020Rhys Evans • Student • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via GitHubI came into this course already knowing how to code, therefore you may think that I had no reason in being there? Well I learnt much more than how to code, I improved my pair programming ability and this therefore made me a more valuable member of my team, as I now have the ability to explain problems and solutions to all skill levels, and I've got Makers to thank for that :)
- Life changing- 3/2/2020Kriss Wiltshire • Full stack engineer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedInTaking the plunge into a new career can be extremely daunting, but Makers made my transition from IT consultant to Software engineer near to seamless and enjoyable. From as early as the pre-course Makers encourage you to work with your peers, this was something that didn't come naturally to me but was something that I have been wanting to work on for a long time so I embraced it. You will pair on a daily basis and learn to work with every personality type, and you are guaranteed to make some lasting connections.
I never felt too comfortable, which is a good thing, I was always challenged and felt like I was learning something new every day. You will learn not only how to be a great dev in 12 weeks, but you will be given the tools to continually learn and code anything you can imagine.
The fact that Makers place soft skills on the same level as tech skills was refreshing. Not only did I learn a lot about coding best practices but I learnt a whole heap about myself throughout the process.
I can honestly say that Makers has changed my life, I am starting a dream job and have all the tools to make it an enjoyable experience.
- Life changing experience- 2/19/2020Faduma H • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedInI had a great time studying at Makers and it was exactly the challenge I was looking for, equipping me with the skills to have a complete career change. Great support from coaches and the careers' team, and have met some wonderful people! Highly recommend!
- A Whirlwind, Rollercoaster Ride!- 1/28/2020Marc Blenkinsop • Apprentice Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
I attended the Makers Academy Bootcamp from September to December 2019. Being in my 30s and having very little prior knowledge (a smattering of hobby coding from my teen years) I went into the course apprehensive that I wouldn't be able to keep up and end up left behind. How wrong I was! I learned a phenomenal amount in just 3 months!
The learning was approached from a bottom-up perspective with a heavy emphasis on learning the very basics of coding first and then using those basics to expand and extend the knowledge learned in a gradual and manageable way to complete more and more complex projects. In addition to the coding there was a heavy emphasis on emotional learning as well, through meditation, yoga and workshops on how to be a more well-rounded and emotionally healthy person in a tough, fast paced industry.
The only con I can think of from the whole experience was the hands-off approach to teaching. Don't get me wrong, the coaches were there to help and provide advice (and were fantastic), but the learning was not in the same vein as school or college wherein the teaching was more formalised and followed a strict curriculum. This was jarring and somewhat difficult to get used to, and at times rather frustrating, but in hindsight it was actually a positive. They gave me the tools to learn organically and on the go, which (after a month in my placement) is absolutely essential and I am definitely grateful for!
In short: the bootcamp was tough, oftentimes frustrating, but ultimately it was a fantastically valuable experience that has given me the knowledge and skills I needed to take my first steps into the Software Development industry!
- Great course if it suits your learning style- 1/23/2020Kevin Hanna • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
Makers is very much a self driven course. There are coaches available for classes and assistance, but most learning will be done with your peers using the Makers provided curriculum. If this suits your learning style, I would highly recommend the course. If you prefer structured learning, it might be a bit of a challenge but success is still definitely achievable. You'll get out only as much as you are prepared to commit! Be prepared to work 12 hours a day during the course, with weekend work as well. The course is intense and there's a lot to take in, but with the friendly staff and students I highly enjoyed my time and kind of wish I could do it all again!
- Game Changing!- 1/16/2020David Martin • Junior Software Developer • Student • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
I started the 3 month Academy with absolutely no coding experience.
The course material is well laid out, and whilst daunting at first, the coaches are extremely supportive and helpful. Putting emphasis on not only learning a coding language, but the principles and techniques on how to self study, assess and develop yourself.
By the end of the 12 week Bootcamp, I had learned the fundamentals to 3 different languages and build web applications in each of them from scratch!
Being able to see the just how far I have come from the first week to the last in such a short a seemingly short space of time is an incredible feeling.
Makers has set me up with skills I can use for the rest of my life, and within a week of joining a team after the academy I am already working on active tickets and contributing to the team.
I would recommend Makers Academy to anyone looking to take the first, or next step in the coding career.
- Unique approach to learning- 1/16/2020Bradley Plater • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
I came into Makers having thought i knew a lot about coding and software development. However that was quickly put aside as makers also teach you other vital skills. Such as behavioral skills like pair programming and working as part of a software development team. Not only this but the emotional support that is available is good for when things got particularly stressful. Overall I would definitely recommend this course to people as they don't teach in the traditional teaching ways. They teach you how to teach your self. For example they will give you a topic and give you some resources and some activities to complete but you spend your time learning how you want to learn. They put on work shops etc to help but also give you a lot of time for you to do your own self led learning. However being a boot camp that is specific for those with no coding experience, having already had experience the first few weeks seemed rather redundant to me.
- Best 12 Weeks Ever!- 1/14/2020Susan Longley • Junior Software Developer • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via GitHub
A really great bootcamp, I learnt so much in 12 weeks. Everything from fundamental concepts and multiple languages to Agile processes and effective pairing techniques. All valuable skills in the workplace. The bootcamp has given me so much confidence in my decision to change career. The coaches are very approachable and always on hand should you need them. Mental health and wellbeing are also taken seriously. It's an intense 12 weeks but well worth it. You'll get out of it what you put in. Would definitely recommend.