makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

London, Online

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on your passion for becoming a developer by gauging your coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

Makers Academy also offers a software engineering apprenticeship and fellowship as a pathway to a long-term career as a software developer. You don’t pay tuition and on completion of the course, you will become a Makers employee for 12 months and will work on site with a hiring partner with continued support from the Makers Academy coaches and careers team. Fellowship applicants must demonstrate a technical ability that outshines other candidates — Makers is looking to invest in outstanding individuals and a more inclusive tech future.

With one of the UK’s largest Careers team dedicated to finding you a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco). Also, Makers Academy guarantees a job offer within 6 months of graduation after successful completion of job hunting program activities.

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (122) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (15) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.

• O • Junior Developer • Graduate

Expect to take out four months of your life. This course is absoloutely amazing but it will consume your everything. The PreCourse is a great taster as to what to expect, with numerous Ruby challenges and the bare basics which lay a great foundation for the in house 12 week course. The Coaches are all fantastic, but I will say if you're looking to be spoonfed then Makers is not for you. The majority of the learning is independent, there are group projects along the way but please understand that you must become comfortable with setting your own work plan each day.

The location is perfect and easy to get to, any equipment you need is easily available and Dana (Chief Joy Officer) offers the perfect balance to unwind after a hard day of coding.

If you're looking for a real experience of what to expect as a newbie joining the world of world of tech then Makers is really for you. The Careers Team are a force to be reckoned with. They organise amazing careers talks and are available for talks whenever you need them. In my opinion, this is where the £8000 fee pays off. The advice and knowledge they provide is just fantastic and all the online blogs in the world cannot match them.

However, you still need to be proactive. A job will not just land at your feet.

The curriculum is fast paced so you need to be strict with yourself but also very organised.

Overall, Makers is the only bootcamp in London really worth your time. If you are umming and ahhring about whether to do, be like Nike: Just Do It.

• Guillaume Liard  User Photo
    Guillaume Liard • Junior software engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was told joining Makers would be a life changing experience, and I was told right! A friend who graduated and is now a software engineer recommended this "bootcamp" and I cannot thank her enough for this.
    I put "bootcamp" in quotes because to me, that word sounds like you would have a drill sergeant forcing you to work hard on something until you can't take it any more. For tech, that would be trying to digest a Computer Science degree in a few months. But Makers doesn't do that. The coaches teach you how to learn more than what to learn. Of course you'll have a set of tools they'll recommend you use for the project of the week, but mostly they teach you how to think like a programmer, how to solve problems, how to get un-stuck when a problem seems too big for you. It's not intense because you've got your head down trying to learn every single JavaScript library, but because you feel how much more you can improve and learn, because every day you understand a new concept that opens more doors.

And then there's the environment. I expected the technical know-how I'd be getting there, but what struck me the most was how good I felt being there. I was surrounded by like-minded, open, and generous people, both coaches, students and staff, who all contributed to make these intense 3 months (4 with the pre-course) the period I've felt the most relaxed and happy in the last few years. You're never alone in your struggles, and pair programming is at the heart of the whole course, learning from each others. Taking on this journey with people like them is priceless. The Chief Joy Officer, Dana, is probably the symbol of that spirit at Makers. Through quite a few workshops, she made me understand how emotional intelligence and awareness could practically, tangibly impact your well-being and your capacity to take on challenges. I even practised meditation, and I wouldn't have believed it had you told me a year ago...

Oh and once you're done, they're not done. There's a great team of people whose sole purpose is to find companies that they believe junior devs should work at, make sure students get in touch directly with them through careers fairs, and help the graduates be at their best for the whole application process. I applied in April, started in July, graduated in October, and started on my first dev role in November. 6 months to train and get a job as a software developer, I couldn't be happier.

If what you want is to know how to write programming languages' syntax, look up the documentation. But if you want to become a software developer, Makers is definitely a good bet!

• Amazing Experience
    - 11/14/2019
    joseph townshend  User Photo
    joseph townshend • software engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I finished makers in August of 2019 - and am about to start my first job in tech in mid Novemeber.

Makers was a tough few months, I certainly didn't find it an easy journey, but for the most part I had a really fun time. A lot of that is down to my wonderful cohort, many of whom are friends for life as well as a few of the staff. I definitely struggled most at the start of the course - I felt very uncomfortable and out of my depth, but this is something that we are really taught to 'lean into'. That feeling discomfort is part of growing and learning - I think around week 5 that mentality really began to click.

Makers is not a golden ticket to a job, it's a lot of hard work - and you get out what you put in. The course is good, but it is very self directed so it is up to you to do the work and the learning.

I feel like the course needs some updating, inclusion of React and APIs would be very useful given most tech test requirements. But I also understand that Makers is about giving you a foundation in programming - to learn how to learn. And I did find that to be the case, the real journey began for me post Makers when I was on my own, making up my own projects and learning what I wanted to learn. I felt like I was capable enough to tackle new technologies which was an amazing feeling.

Ultimately I managed to career change in well under a year, and in the most fun and exciting and mind opening way - and for that I am truly thankful to Makers.

• ADRIEN FABRE  User Photo
    ADRIEN FABRE • Software Engineer • Verified via LinkedIn

I recommend this programme because from my application to the moment I found a job, I found every relationship with the Makers team very human, supportive, constructive and positive.

Before Makers I did plenty of different studies and jobs and I already found myself quite good at learning new things. But now, I find myself being faster and more structured in anything I do. Even if during the Bootcamp it might feel a bit messy with too many resources to explore in depth, this is the process to get fast at learning and to know how to prioritise what to learn in order to constantly move forward in an Agile way.

In term of software engineering, well, I got a job and people tell me I am doing well, so I believe with the Makers process and some determination, it works. What I love the most is that Makers really focus at making you a good autonomous software engineer but also to be good at working with others (group work, Github, SCRUM) and to look after yourself (Yoga, Meditation, pace your self directed learnings), I believe this is what make the transition to the workplace easier.

You might be interested in reading the 2 Medium blogs I wrote about it:

• Russell Wind  User Photo
    Russell Wind • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    It says a lot about Makers that their open days for the course are also students final projects. The confidence is well placed as well, I graduate confident in my abilities and keen to start my new career. The curriculum is fantastic, focusing on your own independent learning but the real strength at Makers lies in the environment. Coaches and fellow Makers are friendly and helpful, meditation and yoga adds some relaxation to what could be a stressful time of your life and the building is a wonderful place to be. You can sense if from the moment you walk in but if you doubt me, attend demo day and see for yourself.
  • Ben Reynolds-Carr  User Photo
    Ben Reynolds-Carr • Junior Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I decided to move into software engineering as I was looking for something more challenging and focussed on problem solving. I was recommended Makers by a friend who already worked in engineering; he worked alongside Makers Alums who had been hired by his company after the course, so I knew going in that their methods worked.

The Makers course encourages you to get into the learning mindset, without being punishing if you don't understand something straight away. The early weeks consist of pairing with other members of your cohort on weekly challenges, which have multiple ways of approaching them (walkthroughs, reference materials). If there are concepts you don't understand in those early weeks, you'll continue to encounter them in different contexts going forward, so there's very often a realisation a week after you're introduced to a concept as to how it can be applied, as well as a really supportive coaching team who will unblock you if you feel you're struggling.

Makers focusses on Ruby at the start of the course, as opposed to JavaScript, which is more standard in the industry, however Ruby is a comparatively simple language for learning object-oriented programming and test-driven development, and they also teach you how to effectively learn new languages based on your understanding of an existing language.

Along with coding, you're also learning effective communication and Agile team-working styles that are used in the industry. You'll have seminars on effective communication and empathy alongside how to develop good algorithms, and yoga to destress after a long day writing code.

By the end of the course, you'll have a strong portfolio of work, a process for developing code and you'll be able to work effectively in teams, taking a final project from ideation to demonstration in just two weeks.

After the course, you get access to monthly jobs fairs with the Makers hiring partners. You also get a great support structure from the careers team from CV reviews and mock interviews, to offering you support if you are feeling disheartened.

• Excellent Bootcamp
    - 10/14/2019
    Jamal Springer  User Photo
    Jamal Springer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Before coming to Makers I was working in IT as an Operation engineer but wanted to move into DevOps, however my programming/coding ability and understanding of the software development lifecycle  wasn't strong enough to make the transition. I decided to come to Makers after failing to learn sufficient programming skills by myself and certainly don't regret making that decision.

Pros:

Excellent learning environment
    Some of the coaches are really knowledgable & helpful
    Good course materials and projects

Cons:

On a few occasions the lectures/lessons didn't seem well planned
    Not all of the coaches are helpful, one in particular was avoided by the whole cohort due to their unhelpful attitude

• Makers Review
    - 10/11/2019
    Geoff  User Photo
    Geoff • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My time at Makers

I attended makers for 12 weeks in the summer of 2019 to complete the year long employer apprenticeship programme. I had a small amount of previous experience with development before joining the course but was new to web development. I am now placed with my employer to complete the rest of the apprenticeship programme in which I have regular contact with the makers apprenticeship team.

Pros

- Excellent working/training environment. Makers puts a lot of effort into creating an environment that allows you to learn effectively with lots of support from coaches.

- Good range of content. The course covers a lot of different areas and exposes you to lots of technologies and different paradigms.

- Stretch content. The course is designed in such a way that there is stretch content available if needed on particular areas.

- Good amount of support post course. The makers community has been really useful post graduation in helping me develop my skills.

Cons

- On some weeks there was a limited amount of workshops to engage with.

• Best decision
    - 10/6/2019
    Zi   User Photo
    Zi • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I will start off by saying that I am a very picky person, but I absolutely loved my time at Makers. It is a really fantastic atmosphere to learn in and the community are very supportive. By the end of the course I really was equipped with the tools to go and pick up any language or framework independently - something I couldn't have dreamed of prior to starting the course. The emotional intelligence and meditation workshops are fantastic (this is coming from a hard sceptic) and you really cannot underestimate the importance of these soft skills in the industry. The vast majority of jobs I've applied have made it paramountly clear that they want a team worker, not a lone genius, and I feel that Makers have prepared me really well for all the collaborative aspects of my future career as a developer.  The careers team are also very supportive in your job hunt.

A few things to note. Not negatives, just clarifications. first of all, it will require a lot of self-study and self-motivation.  There are people to reach out to if you are stuck, but no one is going to spoon feed you. Secondly, they currently teach very little computer science as part of the core curriculum. It's not necessary in order to learn to code, and indeed during my interviews I didn't even encounter any computer science type questions, but just something to note. Lastly, the job guarantee doesn't mean that you'll automatically be given a job at the end - you are still expect to be very proactive in your own job search, but as mentioned before the careers team are there to help. Expect at least a few weeks between finishing the 12 week course and landing your first job - you most likely will not have time to apply while doing your final project and can only get the ball rolling afterwards.

The general curriculum is great, you learn about the core concepts of object-oriented programming thorugh ruby (which you can then translate to basically any OO language) and javascript is likely to stay very relevant and important. Some parts, however, do feel like they need an update - perhaps too much of a focus on fullstack Rails (which really doesn't lend itself well to modern sexy web app behaviour). Would have liked to replace the mandatory Rails part with a Rails/Django/etc API backend + JS framework frontend instead, also some exposure to NoSQL databases too would have been nice. Also replacing jasmine with jest would have been more relevant to current industry requirements.

• David Thai  User Photo
    David Thai • Graduate Verified via GitHub

A lifelong dream has been realised, and I will soon be starting a new job as a developer with a company I've been able to apply to via Makers. Now I can give a review of the complete Makers experience.

What’s good

• Careers support: This was the main thing I was looking for when it came to choosing a bootcamp, and why I chose Makers. I fully approve of Maker's decision to grow their careers team and have nothing but good things to say about them.

• Holistic approach: Yes, you’ll learn to code, but more importantly for me were the things we didn't cover at university. You learn modern software development processes and to apply best practices: e.g. agile, TDD, and clean code.

Why Makers is worth your money

The careers team, the learning environment, and the community. Besides providing some kind of structure for your learning, I choose to do a bootcamp for the immersion and community. Look out for the next Makers Q&A evening and Demo Day to see if Makers is right for you.

What you’ll learn

During the 4-week pre-course, you’ll learn the fundamentals of Ruby, as well as getting introduced to git and GitHub. Then during the 12-week onsite course, you have more Ruby, a little Rails, a little Javascript, and whatever your team decides to work with during your final projects.

After graduating, I found that almost every job on offer involved working in Javascript (and often React). I did feel disadvantaged compared to other bootcamps who cover Javascript and React in more depth. I would have liked more time spent on Javascript, introducing popular Javascript libraries and frameworks. I felt that my cohort’s coverage of Rails and Javascript was a bit rushed.

Even if a company says they’re not looking for specific proficiency, who do you think they’re more likely to choose given the choice between a candidate who knows the tech stack, and another candidate who doesn’t?

But I’ve put in the time to hone my Javascript skills after graduating, and I guess it's all worked out.

However, I do agree with the Makers approach and think that beginning with a decent grasp of the fundamentals is important. And then you can specialise to become T-shaped

Now is always the best time to join Makers

Makers is always learning and getting better. In my time here, I’ve witnessed how some things have changed for the better:

• The Fellowship is how I came to be at Makers. It means I didn’t have to pay and now, for newer Fellows, it’s better than ever. Apart from not having to pay, there’s now very little difference between the Fellowship route and the regular route into Makers. You still have to be hired through Makers but you’re no longer restricted to only the pathway roles (you become a Makers contractor), which are much less common and also open to everyone else.

• Reviews-as-a-service is a way for you to get expert feedback on your development process. It’s an hour-long and it’s done online through screen-sharing. You code a solution to a problem while demonstrating agile, TDD, clean code, and your ability to explain what you’re doing/thinking to someone else. It used to be that you had to “pass” your review before you could apply to jobs through Makers. Availability of review slots was scarcer and I felt that it was an artificial barrier to jobhunting. Now it’s as it should be: you submit your application for a role, attach review feedback if you have it, and it’s down to the Makers careers team whether you get shortlisted.

So if you enrol, I’m sure that by the time you make it onsite, there will be other things that have changed for the better.

Support during the course

When asked about my experience at Makers, I like to say that Makers taught me rather little but I did learn a huge amount. Being taught is a thing that is done to you. In learning you have agency and it is something you do for yourself. Makers is an environment that empowers self-driven learning. That’s what I’d be paying for.

Some may find it frustrating when it seems that coaches won’t give a straight answer. There’s a method to this apparent madness. It’s so that you can develop your own process for problem-solving, which you’ll need as a developer.

There’s great pastoral care from Dana, the Chief Joy Officer, who leads the daily meditation and twice-weekly yoga sessions, and is always available for a chat. I’ve always found our conversations helpful whenever I’ve needed an outside perspective or second opinion. I believe we also have Dana to thank for the recent improv workshop and karaoke night at Makers. I went to both and had lots of fun, and I'm looking forward to the next karaoke night

• Diptis  User Photo
    Diptis • Full Stack Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I will soon start my new career as a software developer with one of the hiring partners of Makers after meeting them at one of the monthly careers fairs held at the academy. This was a very satisfying and essential goal to achieve, but it's only part of the story. Through its comprehensive and intense curriculum the Makers course prepares you for your new career with many new skills set into your locker. Learning programming languages and frameworks comprise some of those, but complementing those are the the approaches to coding challenges and the fundamental processes and techniques you would follow in general.
    It was the toughest intellectual challenge I have ever experienced but it was equally amazing and rewarding. It's not perfect, there are things that need to be changed or improved, but the staff are keen to listen to feedback and enagage with the students and alumni community. In fact the Makers community in general is another key aspect for me. During the course and continuing afterwards you really feel like you belong to something quite great.

• Sam  User Photo
    Sam • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I really loved nearly everything about Makers. The curriculum is really challenging and you won't have time for much else during your time studying there - but it is really comprehensive and seems to prepare you well for life as a Junior Developer. The soft skills they teach are really excellent too - they teach you how to break down problems and how to continue teaching yourself new languages/frameworks. I think perhaps they could have included a bit more Javascript though or had a week focusing on learning React/new JS syntax - this was a pretty steep learning curve for me in a couple of interviews I had early on in the job hunt!

The coaches are very hands off but are really friendly when it comes to sitting down and helping you with something you don't understand. The careers team are excellent - they were really supportive throughout the entire job hunt and at each careers fair I attended there was a wide range of really interesting junior developer roles. Couldn't recommend Makers enough!

• Masha  User Photo
    Masha • Software Dev • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I have attended Makers Academy March-May 2019 and just received a job offer from a big tech consultancy.

I have been choosing between several bootcamps, both in the UK and abroad. In London, I was choosing between Makers and FlatIron. I have asked people from my network who are in tech development to evaluate both in terms of curriculum and pretty much everyone told me that both are great (although there is a difference in the syllabus).

I have chosen Makers because the vibe there was less 'corporate'. If you have experience working in tech companies, that will remind you of a cosy start-up and to be fair this is what I personally prefer.

There is a big focus on soft skills - eg they teach you how to effectively communicate within the team, how to give and receive feedback (and not make it personal), how to manage your well-being and build resilience. There is also a daily meditation session and yoga twice a week, free for current students and alumni. Really helps you to get on with the course if I'm honest.

People at Makers are amazing and the community is very diverse. You will have a chance to meet people from very different backgrounds.

80% of the course is independent learning - you are expected to set your own goals each week, although there is a ton of support material.

Coaches are available and helpful but make sure you verbalise the question correctly - expect 'have you tried googling it?' as a popular response.

Having worked in tech companies I must say that Makers seem to copy the best practices from the tech industry.

After finishing the course and passing a review I have received a lot of support from the careers team as well as from the alumni community.

• Carol Gardiner  User Photo
    Carol Gardiner • Junior Software Developer • Verified via LinkedIn

Makers Academy works hard at maintaining a supportive environment that encourages personal and professional development. The primary focus is teaching you how to solve your own problems and show you what a developer looks like. They place an emphasis on pair programming and agile software development which allows knowledge sharing amongst students. Personally, I found this the most rewarding part of the course - just by having someone to discuss the problem with made it easier to solve. Prior to Makers I held a non-technical management role but this wasn't a hinderance for me. Within 16 weeks I had obtained valuable skills that landed me my first developer job.

PROS
    *Excellent use of paired programming and agile development
    *Great community - You're a Maker for life and the alumni are always happy to answer any career/life questions. I've definitely made some friends for life on the course.
    * Great on course support for stress management (bi-weekly yoga) and daily meditation
    *Job guarantee - if you follow the advice YOU WILL GET A JOB

CONS
    * Difficult to get coach feedback - I would have benefited from regular feedback on my projects
    * Post-course support could be improved to ensure grads are staying motivated

• Life changing
    - 5/24/2019
    Krzysztof  User Photo
    Krzysztof • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

If you want to change your career, learn coding and get a job as a Junior Developer,  Makers Academy will sort you out.

Pros:
    - You learn pair-programming and how to effectively work in a team.
    - You will work in an agile environment.
    - You learn Test Driven Development and good code practices.
    - Access to some brilliant coaches.
    - Super friendly atmosphere and you will make friends quickly.
    - 'Job Guarantee'  simply if you don't get a job within 6 months after the course you'll get your fees back. I was offered a job after 1 month and some of my colleagues even earlier.
    - 'Hiring Partners' each month there is an internal careers fair. Employers attending are well known and established companies as well as small start ups you probably never heard of.  All of them are happy to hire Makers and after each fair you can apply to them via careers team provided you have completed the course.
    - Once you become a Maker you're always one of them. There's a great support after the course especially from careers team who really want you to land a job.  You can still come in everyday like the course never ended, keep on coding, applying for jobs, getting professional advice on your CV or practicing interview questions, tech tests and many more.
    - You are not anonymous. Companies know and continue hiring Makers Academy grads.
    - Yoga classes are amazing !

Cons:
    - Sizes of some cohorts.
    - Make sure you know basic HTML/CSS/SASS as this is not covered.
    - JavaScript challenges in Makers curriculum are not introducing ES6 or any other latest features.
    Having said that half of the course is about team projects during which you are encouraged to fill this gaps.
    You will decide what tech you want to use for these. At that point many teams decided to go with MERN stack instead of RoR.

• Imtiyaz Zaman  User Photo
    Imtiyaz Zaman • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I was previously a secondary school science teacher but decided to leave because I no longer felt like I was being intellectually challenge - moving into software development has definitely changed that! Makers provide an incredible environment for you to develop skills as a developer. An incredibly relaxed atmosphere where the focus is your technical and personal growth. The coaches provide great support, asking the right questions to help you find the answers you need. The code review process could do with some refining, it was a pretty big bottle neck at the time
  • Worth the effort
    - 4/17/2019
    Emanuele  User Photo
    Emanuele • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This is a true life change opportunity. I had no prior knowledge/experience in this field and I made it. I strongly believe that with the right amount of effort everyone can go take advantage of this opportunity. Nothing will be given for free, it requires time and effort...if you think you can afford to invest time and effort in yourself then you'll be a perfect fit for this.

My personal experience: I learnt a lot in 4 months time, alone it would have taken me at least the double of time and probably with not the same results. In one and a half month after the course I received my job offer from a great company through the Makers Hiring Partners.

Pros:
    - Great and stimulating environment;
    - Teaching a process that companies out there are looking for;
    - Skilled coaching team;
    - Possibility to borrow a macbook in case you don't have one;
    - A great building with second monitors for everyone, a nice ping pong table and a kitchen area;

Cons:
    - Even if you consider yourself a strong ping pong player, you'll find someone stronger than you there;
    - Beers on friday night (is that a cons?! uhmmm).

• Nikhil  User Photo
    Nikhil • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I've really enjoyed my time at Makers and cannot recommend it enough to the ones thinking of joining a bootcamp. Now that I've attended a few hackathons and meetups, and having met some of the other bootcamp graduates, I'm more convinced that Makers is better.

The philosophy at Makers isn't to teach you a certain technology stack, or framework. Instead, they focus on skills of learning how to learn. They do this with an explicit focus on your process, which leads to progress and results. The sylabbus is designed by some really intelligent people, and it shows because you're still thinking about the things you learn in week 1 when you finish the course (for eg: single responsibility principle) but at a much higher level.

The careers support you get is also very professional and excellent. They will go above and beyond to make sure you have everything you need to go get yourself a job you really like.

To add to that, I've found the coaches and staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. You really feel it in the vibe and community here. Also, I've found that other Makers who might have graduated years ago will go out of their way to help you, give you advice or give you a job. They're also open and radically honest which really helps build trust.

All makers also follow the principle of 'trust over fear', which means they trust one another more than doubt or fear them, which generally leads to happier people who want to do a good job and it shows.

Those are the pros. Here are the cons. It can be difficult to get feedback from coaches and there aren't enough of them. This would be OK, except for the fact that your review process (the process by which you're allowed to apply for jobs through the careers team) depends on getting coach feedback. This is not the coaches fault by any means.

If you're thinking of joining a bootcamp, just come to one of the demo days and speak to as many students as you can - it's not easy, and it's very intense but you will thank yourself for joining.

• Debora  User Photo
    Debora • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Makers has gifted me with one of the most intense personal journeys I had ever experienced and it's not over yet. As I write, I'm a very recent graduate, about to start her job hunt. I am still coming to the office to get motivated everyday, but I already miss the vibes we had during the course. The academy is very young and friendly, the coaches are approachable, but not too much! They want you to struggle a bit first, to build solid basic skills and forge your ability to learn on your own, which is the actual golden potential we advertise once graduated. The community around you during the course is a real gem, both as a resource of knowledge and also socially speaking.
    If I have to mention a con, I would say that the technologies learnt are not of the most popular ones, once one starts applying for jobs, however, as said above, the real goals of the course are having solid basic knowledge and knowing how to learn.
    I have just started job hunting and the careers team is available for advices. They do a great job in getting companies in, to meet us. It is still very important to also apply to outside companies in order to get as many answers as possible.
    In summary, I would recommend Makers Academy any day or the rest of my life.

• Samir Soormally  User Photo
    Samir Soormally • Junior QA Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TLDR: Tech is great, Makers is great. If you're reading this, change your career and join Makers already.

My previous career was in psychology. I left not because I hated it but because I did not feel fulfilled or challenged in the right way and I couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my life. Leaving it and joining Makers was the best decision I've ever made.

Pros:
    - Great atmosphere to learn and challenge yourself. They seem to have nailed providing a relaxed environment that encourages you to work your hardest for yourself, not for anyone else.
    - Coaches make you really think about the questions you're asking and help you understand the more fundamental issues with whatever your problem is. This can be frustrating at the time but when you're stuck alone on a problem with no one to ask for help, you'll appreciate it.
    - The syllabus is excellent. The reasons I know this are 1) people interviewing me for jobs after Makers were often impressed by our experience and understanding of key concepts 2) I now feel completely comfortable picking up new technologies and attaining a job using them.
    - The careers team are really something else. A lovely bunch of supportive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable people that go the extra mile every time to keep you motivated and ensure you land the job you're happy with.
    - I'm not sure if it's because of the standards Makers set applicants but the vast vast majority of people I've met on this course have been well-grounded, smart and generally very fun to code and learn with.

Cons:
    - Getting code reviews from coaches occasionally took an inordinate amount of time. I believe this was a consequence of implementing a Viva process with too few staff or too little organisation. They seem to be remedying this now so maybe it will be less of a problem for future cohorts.
    - I think they could do with getting a couple more coaches in general to meet demand.

• Ayodele Alakija  User Photo
    Ayodele Alakija • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Having spent my time with a friend deciding what schools would be good for us to learn code, I really gravitated towards Makers and since I made the decision to join the course have not been disappointed. Am really happy with the community feel of the course and the willingness of not only the coaches to help improve you but members of your cohort as well. The 12 weeks can be intense at certain points, but once you have found a rhythm you are comfortable with, you will settle in quite quickly. The activities provided also are very helpful, and I never thought I would take to Yoga as well as I did.

The community feel doesn't stop after Makers and this has been a really great feeling. With them willing to help you by putting on Careers Fairs, as well as chances to meet and talk to other former Alumni really beneficial. Can not recommend it enough.

• Marcus Gardiner  User Photo
    Marcus Gardiner • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Having worked with and spoken to developers who had graduated from Makers Academy, I had very high expectations going into the course. I can safely say the course met my lofty expectations in terms of learning how to code, but easily smashed them when it came to the quality of the coaching and careers teams. The coaches are some of the smartest, most accomplished people I have met; they are genuine top coding talent that has come to Makers due a love of teaching others and the flexibility it gives them as coders to also pursue personal project. The links the careers team has with tech organisations is also incredible - they place into prestigious companies month after month after month. They even have streamlined recruitment processes into their hiring partners, with one hub application providing access to multiple companies. Meanwhile, they have a fantastic support system to keep you going through what will be an intense few months.  Overall - a fantastic, enjoyable curriculum and an organisation that also has the teeth and tenacity to get you hired.

• Beyond Incredible
    - 4/25/2018
    Kaari Strack  User Photo
    Kaari Strack • Junior Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Just the absolute best decision I have ever made! I am finally in a career that I love, and I made a load of kick-ass friends along the way! What an adventure. Thank you Makers!!!!
  • Sapphire  User Photo
    Sapphire • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Makers Academy is quite the experience but it's not for the faint of heart. The course provides a intensive experience covering programming best practises such as pair programming and test-driven development, helping students gain the skills to get a job as a junior software engineer and be an effective member of a team. The support provided from the coaches and Chief Joy Officer throughout the course was fantastic and the careers team were brilliant, helping me find a job within a week of finishing the course. It's a great choice if you want to become a software engineer.

• Alistair Kung  User Photo
    Alistair Kung • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Makers has completely reinvigorated my relationship with learning and instilled within me a belief that I can achieve whatever I set my heart to.

The couse itself is challenging and is designed to acquaint you with the feeling of unknown. If you're looking for a formulaic, spoon-fed experience similar to University/School this may not be for you. You are often given the bare minimum information to fulfill each week's task which can at times be frustrating but empowering at the same time when you ultimately succeed. By the end of the course I felt like I could learn absolutely any language/library/framework independently.

Content-wise there is a huge emphasis on best practices (e.g. test driven development(TDD), pair programming) which, having spoken to people from other bootcamps where TDD is not covered, would perhaps set you apart and better prepare you for life as a software developer.

The coaches at Makers are amazing. They offer plenty code review to push your skills to the next level and are masters of extracting every ounce of learning possible every time you are stuck/need help.

It could not be emphasized more that the Job Assistance that you receive after the course is invaluable. The careers team helps to find you ample opportunities to apply to whilst providing coaching to help keep morale, motivation and belief high until you finally find your first software developer job.

Overally Makers has been the most valuable experience in my adult life and I could not recommend it more.

• Junior Developer
    - 10/10/2017
    R  User Photo
    R • Junior Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

Makers Academy lives up to its promises. It has a great community of software developers connected to the place and really encourages you to get involved with it. It has a firm focus on learning to write high quality code, and you end up with a portfolio of a variety of projects built with ruby and javascript.

It is intense, but its not too hard in terms the learning curve and at the end of it many of our cohort got a job within 2 weeks - including me. They have a good careers fair where students can meet employers, who end up hiring many of the students finishing a cohort.

The teachers are very knowledgable and supportive, this course does demand some independent learning as well, but if you ever feel you are struggling there is loads of help. It has a large focus on group and pair work, to prepare you for industry, and helps give you confidence for job interviews. If you are thinking of becoming a software developer and get a job quickly then go for Makers!