makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

London, Online

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on your passion for becoming a developer by gauging your coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

Makers Academy also offers a software engineering apprenticeship and fellowship as a pathway to a long-term career as a software developer. You don’t pay tuition and on completion of the course, you will become a Makers employee for 12 months and will work on site with a hiring partner with continued support from the Makers Academy coaches and careers team. Fellowship applicants must demonstrate a technical ability that outshines other candidates — Makers is looking to invest in outstanding individuals and a more inclusive tech future.

With one of the UK’s largest Careers team dedicated to finding you a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco).

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.81

all (185) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (18) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.
  • Stuart Priestley • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate

As someone already working in a team of software engineers for over a year, at first I wasn’t sure what the course would bring to me in terms of knowledge and skills. What can I say, it was simply the most productive learning experience I have ever been involved with. Professional coaches, well designed tasks, and great support and feedback all the way through. Has given me the confidence to become the engineer I always thought I could be. Especially loved the constant focus on test-driven-development, really job-relevant and teaching me the skills I need for my day-to-day work. Having tried a number of different development routes, I could not be more positive about Makers in comparison to the others, they are streets ahead and I will be recommending them to everyone that I speak to over the coming months and years! Great job!

• Rob Baile • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Makers ethos is to teach people how to learn rather than teaching them everything there is to know about software development. They deliver this brilliantly. Having undertaken two different courses using both approaches, I can safely say that this approach to learning is preferable. This is because the self-learning element is central to becoming a good software engineer in an ever moving industry and will allow me to continue to develop long after the boot camp finished.
    The course itself featured 7 weeks of learning modules, each building upon the previous ones knowledge and skill. The final 5 weeks was split up into 3 self led team projects. I found all 12 weeks to be beneficial but with some previous programming knowledge, I particularly enjoyed the team projects as we were able to use all core development skills in a real working environment.
    I would recommend this course to anyone who is looking to kickstart their career in software development as it gives you all the core skills that you need to grow and flourish in the work place.
  • Migle
    - 1/8/2020
    Migle Kubiliute • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

I joined Makers with no coding experience, and in 3 months I've learn an enormous amount. Not only I've gained a technical knowledge, but I was also introduced to agile processes and the ways teams operate. Makers have mental coaches, so there is always someone to help you if you find the course(or life) too challenging. Makers prepare you for your new career very well, the course is very well organised and the coaches are extremely professional. I recommend this course to anyone who wants to build a career as a software engineer. On the first day at my workplace I was able to use the skills I've gained during this bootcamp. Makers is the place to start :)

• Joe

Pros:
    -Taught how to learn, not just given the answer but guided in the right direction and suggested things to try.
    -Very supportive coaches that were always happy to help.
    -Taught how to pair program, work in an agile team, and solo program.
    -Learnt a wide variety of skills (command line, git, searching solutions online, databases, HTTP requests, programming concepts such as arrays,
     methods, OOP, etc), which are proving very useful in the workplace.
    -Extras such as meditation and yoga.

Cons:
    -Spent too long on Ruby and not enough time on the more difficult languages used in the project weeks and then in the workplace.
    -Not enough resources available from Makers during project weeks when you start working with languages other than ruby.
    -Not always enough coaches for the amount of students which could lead to being stuck without support for a time.

Overall a great experience, went in with minimal coding experience and left having learnt loads and made many friends. Would recommend the course if you are looking to start a career in software development and have minimal coding experience.

• Rafaela Silva • Graduate

During the 12 weeks you will learn to develop your own form of learning and can ask the coach for help at any time, this is a very useful way to start your career, knowing how to ask for help and being independent. Having people from different backgrounds makes the experience even nicer. I definitely super recommend it!

• Dominic • Graduate

Makers helped me realise my dream of becoming a developer.

I really my time at makers. I have met a lot of people who I know I will remain friends with. They have put a lot of effort into making the whole place a positive place to be. They are not purely focussed on coding and they offer things outside of code like yoga, meditation, pizza nights with games, kareoke and more. They have an aim to make you a more well-arounded emplyable developer rather than just a technical champion.

In terms of the coding, the process eases you into the process but each week you are more entrusted to work with less structure and build things as part of groups following the processes you have been taught throughout. Support was still there if needed. I really liked this way of working.

Although I can see the benefits to learning Ruby as a first language due to the way it reads plus the syntax is more forgiving. However it seems maybe Rails/Ruby aren't as relevent in the job world as they once were and the course spends alot of time focussing on them. However we did cover Javascript and some React. And final projects you can choose your own tech stack which meant you can go wild do things like use Python!

They have a big careers team and they have loads of partnerships with all sorts of companies from brand new starts ups to big American companies. Companies come into to give talks and they have careers fairs too.

You can learn the code and technical stuff yourself online. But they teach you things like coding as part of a team and using team processes to developing apps. Which is obviously beneficial for getting a job as real world dev. It is awesome, the fact they have all this careers support and will help you find a job.

• Albion Bidder • Graduate

Overall the course is excellent, it is challenging at times but equally rewarding when you get past where you were previously stuck. The course covers not just how to code but other important skills like working efficiently in a team and how to change languages quickly. I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to start a career as a software developer.

• Jay • Graduate

The staff at Makers provide a wholistic approach to learning. The coaches are always available for support whether this is in terms of writing better code or personal well-being. There is a very friendly atmosphere with an reliance on self learning. The 16 weeks are well structured, learning the basics in Ruby and applying it to other languages such as Javascript (and another language of your choice for the final project). At the end of the 16 weeks I feel as though I can quickly pick up new languages and apply what I've learnt to produce a decent product.

• Bartosz Danek • Graduate

I was part of 3 months Apprenticeship BootCamp. Never before had a chance to learn brand new technology that way . Makers provided completely new and very effective way to learn how to code . Together with new skills of self learning , effective research and mental health and good life balance . I really missing Makers environment .

• Great Course!
    - 12/11/2019
    Sim • Graduate

The topics were well structured and I thought that the pace was good. Our cohort started with Ruby before moving on to using Javascript and Java, with Postgresql for databases. Building a solid understanding of Ruby before moving to other languages meant that we were able to learn new languages quickly, which is a skill that will definitely be useful in the future. Other very useful things we learnt included the ability to use TDD and to program in a team, which will really help in our roles. There was great support from the coaches and the rest of my cohort, and I learnt a lot in a very short amount of time all while having fun!

• Josh Blackmoor • Graduate

I was part of the apprenticeship side of the academy and have just completed the 3 month upfront boot camp. The course is mainly structured around ruby but in my opinion the course is about teaching you how to program in any language and transfer your knowledge to any programming language you may need to work on in the future. We also focused on different languages such as JavaScript and java, we also learnt TDD.

We would spend the week learning a new module with regular zoom calls (my cohort was remote) and there was lots of support on slack if we needed it. At the end of the week we would complete a Friday challenge which we had no guidance to see if we can put what we have learnt in to practise on our own.

On completion of each module we would fill in a feedback form so the coaches could see how we were feeling and if we needed any support and if we did they would come and talk to us to see what they could do to better support us.

Overall I would rate the boot camp 5 stars, the only thing I would say needs improving is pairing for remote cohorts as its more difficult pairing remotely.

• Worth it course
    - 12/11/2019
    Vikash Ramnarain • Software Developer • Student

I learnt a lot in a very short amount of time, and it wasn’t boring doing it. Coaches were very supportive and were always there for help if needed. I was apart of a remote cohort which was a very new experience and the people I met on this course were all friendly.