Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on a student's passion for becoming a developer by gauging their coding experience.
The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.
With one of the UK’s largest careers team dedicated to finding students a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire, including but not limited to: Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco.
Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.8
Recent Makers Academy News
- June 2021 Coding Bootcamp News
- May 2020 Coding Bootcamp News
- Coding Bootcamps + COVID-19: Updates, Scholarships and Tips for Learning Online in 2021
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week11 Weeks
Deposit £800.00 FinancingLending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid Tuition Plans Available through 3rd parties Scholarship £500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
Minimum Skill Level We expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges. Prep Work To prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
Makers Academy Reviews
275 reviews sorted by:
- Life changing experience- 2/19/2020Faduma H • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedInI had a great time studying at Makers and it was exactly the challenge I was looking for, equipping me with the skills to have a complete career change. Great support from coaches and the careers' team, and have met some wonderful people! Highly recommend!
- A Whirlwind, Rollercoaster Ride!- 1/28/2020Marc Blenkinsop • Apprentice Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
I attended the Makers Academy Bootcamp from September to December 2019. Being in my 30s and having very little prior knowledge (a smattering of hobby coding from my teen years) I went into the course apprehensive that I wouldn't be able to keep up and end up left behind. How wrong I was! I learned a phenomenal amount in just 3 months!
The learning was approached from a bottom-up perspective with a heavy emphasis on learning the very basics of coding first and then using those basics to expand and extend the knowledge learned in a gradual and manageable way to complete more and more complex projects. In addition to the coding there was a heavy emphasis on emotional learning as well, through meditation, yoga and workshops on how to be a more well-rounded and emotionally healthy person in a tough, fast paced industry.
The only con I can think of from the whole experience was the hands-off approach to teaching. Don't get me wrong, the coaches were there to help and provide advice (and were fantastic), but the learning was not in the same vein as school or college wherein the teaching was more formalised and followed a strict curriculum. This was jarring and somewhat difficult to get used to, and at times rather frustrating, but in hindsight it was actually a positive. They gave me the tools to learn organically and on the go, which (after a month in my placement) is absolutely essential and I am definitely grateful for!
In short: the bootcamp was tough, oftentimes frustrating, but ultimately it was a fantastically valuable experience that has given me the knowledge and skills I needed to take my first steps into the Software Development industry!
- Great course if it suits your learning style- 1/23/2020Kevin Hanna • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
Makers is very much a self driven course. There are coaches available for classes and assistance, but most learning will be done with your peers using the Makers provided curriculum. If this suits your learning style, I would highly recommend the course. If you prefer structured learning, it might be a bit of a challenge but success is still definitely achievable. You'll get out only as much as you are prepared to commit! Be prepared to work 12 hours a day during the course, with weekend work as well. The course is intense and there's a lot to take in, but with the friendly staff and students I highly enjoyed my time and kind of wish I could do it all again!
- Game Changing!- 1/16/2020David Martin • Junior Software Developer • Student • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
I started the 3 month Academy with absolutely no coding experience.
The course material is well laid out, and whilst daunting at first, the coaches are extremely supportive and helpful. Putting emphasis on not only learning a coding language, but the principles and techniques on how to self study, assess and develop yourself.
By the end of the 12 week Bootcamp, I had learned the fundamentals to 3 different languages and build web applications in each of them from scratch!
Being able to see the just how far I have come from the first week to the last in such a short a seemingly short space of time is an incredible feeling.
Makers has set me up with skills I can use for the rest of my life, and within a week of joining a team after the academy I am already working on active tickets and contributing to the team.
I would recommend Makers Academy to anyone looking to take the first, or next step in the coding career.
- Unique approach to learning- 1/16/2020Bradley Plater • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
I came into Makers having thought i knew a lot about coding and software development. However that was quickly put aside as makers also teach you other vital skills. Such as behavioral skills like pair programming and working as part of a software development team. Not only this but the emotional support that is available is good for when things got particularly stressful. Overall I would definitely recommend this course to people as they don't teach in the traditional teaching ways. They teach you how to teach your self. For example they will give you a topic and give you some resources and some activities to complete but you spend your time learning how you want to learn. They put on work shops etc to help but also give you a lot of time for you to do your own self led learning. However being a boot camp that is specific for those with no coding experience, having already had experience the first few weeks seemed rather redundant to me.
- Best 12 Weeks Ever!- 1/14/2020Susan Longley • Junior Software Developer • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via GitHub
A really great bootcamp, I learnt so much in 12 weeks. Everything from fundamental concepts and multiple languages to Agile processes and effective pairing techniques. All valuable skills in the workplace. The bootcamp has given me so much confidence in my decision to change career. The coaches are very approachable and always on hand should you need them. Mental health and wellbeing are also taken seriously. It's an intense 12 weeks but well worth it. You'll get out of it what you put in. Would definitely recommend.
I've just completed the 12 week boot-camp with Makers and had a fantastic learning experience. Their style of coaching is so engaging and the tasks set were well matched to what we needed to learn. It was great to look back and realize just how much I'd learnt in those 12 weeks. The course also covered some non-coding skills like teamwork , and agile processes which was so helpful when moving into placement.
Overall has a great time, with the help of some super coaches. Didn't want it to end!
- Change you career with Makers!- 1/10/2020Lena Krasnova • Junior Software Developer • Graduate • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
I have just finished 3 months Coding Bootcamp with Makers. To start with I was a total beginner. After 12 weeks of intensive learning, pairing, doing challenges, projects. Yes, we had 3 projects! I feel like I have attained the tools and skills to start confidently in my role as Junior Software Developer.
— Professional coaches. Throughout the course you get to work with few coaches, and all of them have been knowledgeable and very supportive. They also will never give you the direct answer, bu help you to understand and find answer for yourself;
— well designed course work;
— Emotional Support. As part of course you are taught skills to manage your well-being. You learn how to meditate, how to be empathetic , how to look after yourself etc. You can do yoga too! You also can have one2one session with support coach. Take advantage of these, the coaches are amazing and really help me to get through the course, as it was quite challenging for me in all respects. And and emotional support coach was a real bonus!
— Support after you finish!
Cons “-“ :
— some materials require update, but I think makers are working on this.
Overall, I would recommend Makers to who ever wants to change their life and have a brilliant start in their Software Developer Career!
- Amazing course- 1/7/2020Adam Robinson • Software developer • Student • Course: Remote Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
The 3 month course has been really great for my career as i have furthered my coding skills significantly. The work was engaging and interesting and most importantly it was rewarding. The work is intense but gives you very good skills in how to learn by yourself and to futureproof yourself for future learning
- Thank you Makers!- 1/6/2020Zaira Rasool • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
Yes, I learnt to code in 3 very intensive months (be prepared for all your relationships to take a backseat!). Yes, I got a job within two weeks of graduating from Makers. But really, that doesn't even compare to what really sets Makers apart from other bootcamps - and that's their focus on emotional intelligence, self-care and diversity. I have a few examples...
1. I was meant to start at Makers in February and got struck down by a serious and chronic health condition that took me out of action for 6 months. They allowed me to keep delaying the start of my course every month, were always available for me to talk through any concerns or questions I had. When I started, they were fully supportive to provide me with what I needed to be able to manage my health whilst at the course.
2. On my first day, I had a few experiences (as a woman, and of South Asian descent) which made me feel uncomfortable. Although Makers and the rest of the tech industry have a long way to go when it comes to diversity, I was able to voice my concerns to a member of staff who then heard these concerns and took action to change the course of it. That made me feel really supported.
3. We have yoga twice a week and daily meditation! Seriously going to miss that...
In saying that, I don't think any course can be perfect but Makers did feel like it gets the balance right and their pedagogy is effective, and they got me a job (I still can't believe I just got a job as a Software Engineer so quickly!). A shout out to the careers team for their support too!
- Olly H • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: London • Verified via LinkedIn
I've just graduated from Makers Academy and got hired within 2 weeks. I still can't believe that after barely knowing any coding 4 months ago I became someone who can build professional apps in different languages, solve complex technical problems, quickly learn new programming languages or technologies. And become hireable as a full-stack software developer.
If you want to become a software engineer in a short period of time, it's the best option. Makers teach you not just how to code, but how to learn anything, how to be organised and strategic about your learning, how to push yourself and persevere. They create this intense learning environment where you are constantly pushed out of your comfort zone, so you have to work much harder than you would on your own. It's tough but very effective.
To alleviate stress and emotional pressure (imposter syndrome, overwhelm, mental fatigue), Makers create a supportive environment & help to deal with those issues. There are workshops on empathy & emotional intelligence, daily meditations, yoga, social event. You can't underestimate the importance of such support.
Another important aspect of becoming a successful software engineer is the ability to work with others. To be a part of a team, to work in pairs, to provide and received feedback. All that was an important part of the curriculum. We had daily pairing sessions in the first part of the course, followed by team projects. We learned and practiced agile, had standups, retros, brainstorming sessions, code reviews. All that can't be learned on your own.
And in the end, it was so much fun! I've met great people and enjoyed the process. I feel a bit sad that it's over, but I've excited about the next chapter. Working as a software engineer, being a coder and the Maker.
- It was good- 12/13/2019Luke Jones • Siftware development apprenticeship • Graduate • Course: Remote Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via GitHubI really enjoyed my time at makers, learned a lot and made a lot of good memories. It was extremely effective in teaching a lot of material in a relatively short time. I learnt more practical and usable skills and information in my three months at makers than I did in my time at main stream schooling. Definitely recommend