makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

London, Online

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on your passion for becoming a developer by gauging your coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

Makers Academy also offers a software engineering apprenticeship and fellowship as a pathway to a long-term career as a software developer. You don’t pay tuition and on completion of the course, you will become a Makers employee for 12 months and will work on site with a hiring partner with continued support from the Makers Academy coaches and careers team. Fellowship applicants must demonstrate a technical ability that outshines other candidates — Makers is looking to invest in outstanding individuals and a more inclusive tech future.

With one of the UK’s largest Careers team dedicated to finding you a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco).

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (178) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (16) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.

• Great Course!
    - 12/11/2019
    Sim • Graduate

The topics were well structured and I thought that the pace was good. Our cohort started with Ruby before moving on to using Javascript and Java, with Postgresql for databases. Building a solid understanding of Ruby before moving to other languages meant that we were able to learn new languages quickly, which is a skill that will definitely be useful in the future. Other very useful things we learnt included the ability to use TDD and to program in a team, which will really help in our roles. There was great support from the coaches and the rest of my cohort, and I learnt a lot in a very short amount of time all while having fun!

• Josh Blackmoor • Graduate

I was part of the apprenticeship side of the academy and have just completed the 3 month upfront boot camp. The course is mainly structured around ruby but in my opinion the course is about teaching you how to program in any language and transfer your knowledge to any programming language you may need to work on in the future. We also focused on different languages such as JavaScript and java, we also learnt TDD.

We would spend the week learning a new module with regular zoom calls (my cohort was remote) and there was lots of support on slack if we needed it. At the end of the week we would complete a Friday challenge which we had no guidance to see if we can put what we have learnt in to practise on our own.

On completion of each module we would fill in a feedback form so the coaches could see how we were feeling and if we needed any support and if we did they would come and talk to us to see what they could do to better support us.

Overall I would rate the boot camp 5 stars, the only thing I would say needs improving is pairing for remote cohorts as its more difficult pairing remotely.

• Worth it course
    - 12/11/2019
    Vikash Ramnarain • Software Developer • Student

I learnt a lot in a very short amount of time, and it wasn’t boring doing it. Coaches were very supportive and were always there for help if needed. I was apart of a remote cohort which was a very new experience and the people I met on this course were all friendly.

• Adam Forrest • Student

This course was challenging, engaging and fun, it gave me the opportunity to build on/solidify my knowledge from my previous education during the first 4 weeks (procedural programming and OOD), in a whole new programming language. Then I got to learn a brand new skill, web development, where you get given set apps to make, then can make your own one at the end!

You don't just do front-end JavaScript, you get to learn a full stack with first Ruby backend and then my cohort did it with Java, both with a PostGres database using PostGres's sql for queries. So you get to learn a whole stack in two languages! I thought this was really beneficial as it's always good to be able to program in multiple languages. In addition, the techniques for learning a new language are transferable for every language.

I really liked the coaching style, you don't get spoon fed, you have time to work it out for yourself, but the support is there if you need it, not only from Stack Overflow, but also from the coaches and even the rest of your cohort!

The fact you collaborate on all tasks and projects gives you the opportunity to develop your teamwork and communication skills which are just as important as your technical ability. You communicate with Slack and Zoom. Slack for like a chat room and Zoom for video calls and screen sharing. I found both apps really easy to use and very helpful throughout the course.

• Adam Beresford • Software Engineer • Student

The whole course was laid out very well and allowed for someone with zero experience to really build up a knowledge base of different languages and the syntax involved in writing them, coding methodologies, concepts and best practises, work life balance, useful 3rd party software's and how to work remotely and as a team with fellow developers to create projects and collaborative code bases. I also thought that the support from the coaches throughout the course was excellent , not being spoon fed anything but being pointed in the correct direction to work things out on my own really assisted me in consolidating the information in my head.

• Empowering
    - 12/6/2019
    Ben Z • Graduate

Learnt a lot in a very short space of time, things you wouldn’t think about learning on your own. A big con for me that ruined it at the end was the final project, the groups could have been balanced better. At the end of the day, I came here to learn with the goal of securing a software dev job, which is what I did 2 weeks after the course finished, with fantastic help from the careers team.

• Caroline • Graduate

Makers Academy is the best learning experience I ever got in my life! I got full support during the whole duration of the course and I felt like each day I develop my soft and hard skills even more. There is nothing you can not learn while being in the Makers building. There is something about the way the teach you how to think that makes everything click in the alright time. The small pieces of software engineering that you learn at the begging of the course start to fit perfectly together somewhere in the middle of the course and you feel like you really can building anything. That doesn't mean that you know everything - this is not possible - but it means that you have a correct mindset to break down all the problems that you meet on your way while building a product and you can solve it step by step.

PROS:

- pair-programming,

- supportive environment,

- the best community

- a very mature approach to teaching coding and to students, everything works perfectly without you even noticing

- constantly feeling like I improve myself

- there is always a space to fail and try again

CONS:

- NONE

• Douglas Thomson • Software Engineer • Graduate

The tech industry has a bad habit of exulting the lone developer, the person who shuts themselves away from other people to emerge from solitude with elite skills or a perfect product. Whilst this image is slowly changing you can have the stereotype duely shattered by attending Makers.
    I started the course with a bit of narrow tech experience and a desire to expand my stack to the full version. Even during the precourse we were encouraged to start collaborating, through pair programming with mentors or self organising meet ups for the cohort. The course continued with this principle without no single day spent working solo. This environment took my desire to learn and supercharged it, it improved my learning process, how to share that knowledge and all in a space where people were excited to share new knowledge with me.

You will pick up new technical skills, and by any measure it will be a large amount. Along side that you will be well equiped for the career which comes after.

• Oliver • Software engineer • Graduate

Makers is intense, hard and fun, but rewarding doesn't come close to expressing the feeling you will have both when you finish and when you find a job.

Why I chose Makers: Once I had visited Makers I felt almost drawn to it. Unlike most (or maybe all?) of the other bootcamps, Makers was offering one course, available in one location. This gave me the feeling that their angle was more "we will do one thing but do it better than anybody else" than "we will offer a huge range of things across many places in the world". Although drawn to it, exactly what that "thing" is didn't become fully clear until doing the course and after finishing, so I will attempt to describe it here:

1. Intimate - one course in one location has an intimate we're-all-in-this-together feel to it. Every 4 weeks a new cohort starts, so around you there are people simultaneously at varying stages of the course. The feeling instilled is that these people are not your competitors, but rather your peers. People willing to help you with any aspect of the experience, be it coding or indeed emotional support that you need.

2. Holistic - Makers is NOT about coding coding coding, it is about the whole picture - your well-being, your readiness for your first job, your ability to work with others and your ability to take an unknown concept and know how to approach it and understand it. Software development is a career in which you will never stop learning. Being aware that this is the case, and knowing how to manage it is paramount to success. In addition, the 2nd half of the course is set up to imitate what dya to day work life might be like - Agile methodologies, team work, XP values, advanced use of Git. It is not only about TDD (test-driven development) and OO (object orientated) principles. This means that by the time you're attending interviews, you are prepared with first hand experience you can use to show off your skills.

3. End-to-end support - From onboarding to pre-course to full-time course to the job hunt, Makers is equipped to offer help with whatever aspect is troubling you. Dana, the well-being officer, is fantastic for advice on all things not coding, and the coaches are all on hand, approachable and supportive in everything else. Once you have finished the course, the careers team are an incredible group of people who work extrememly hard to help you find work.

4. Makers leads by example - everything is learning and feedback contributes in a major way to improvement. Makers is constantly checking and re-checking their processes, improving things off the back of feedback, and providing feedback whenever sought. If you can buy into and do this too, you will be a successful coder.

Finally, it's a lot of fun!

• Tom Pickering • Software Engineer • Graduate

Makers is an intense bootcamp. It requires you to be self-motivated, prepared to learn and explore for yourself and not rely on being spoon fed. If you are willing to put in that effort, and are not deterred when you come up against a bit of a wall, then Makers could be the course for you.

It is worth noting that the key thing that you learn at Makers is a process, not any particular language. This can lead to some frustrations along the way, but once it clicks you are left with a skill that is far more valuable than proficiency in one language - you are left with a proven method of learning any language. This approach means that you shouldn't end up being fazed by new problems - just apply the process and you can do it!

I did not have any serious coding experience before undertaking the course, instead having had a ten year career in an unrelated field. The prospect of starting a new career at 38 was both exciting and a little daunting. The careers team at Makers were brilliant, both before I had any interviews and then in helping me prepare once I had an interview. In my case, I had a six-month gap between completing the course and starting to job hunt (self-granted paternity leave!), and the team were always available to check in with and then to reassure me that all would not be lost once I started the job hunt.

• Rianne McCartney • Software engineer • Graduate

I decided at the beginning of 2019 to leave my career as a criminal solicitor and attempt to become a software developer instead. I knew absolutely zero about coding so it was quite a big step for me.

Fast forward 5 months and I'm now about to start my first role as a software developer so Makers has certainly done the job, and to be honest I never thought I'd be in this position so quickly.

The course was intense and requires a lot of work, both onsite at Makers and in your free time, so you can't sign up half-heartedly. However, because of this you do learn a crazy amount in a short period of time. I enjoyed every day of the course and haven't once regretted my decision to leave my previous job. In addition to being a great learning experience, it was also really fun. I met some great people in my cohort and there was a lot of socialising which meant that our group projects towards the end of the course didn't feel like work at all. The standard of work that our cohort produced by the end of the 12 weeks was pretty impressive.

I feel that some of the course materials are slightly outdated (which I imagine is difficult to avoid with coding languages that dip in and out of popularity constantly), but it meant that I felt a bit on the backfoot when it came to interviews and I wasn't using the most up to date version of javascript for example. I would advise any new starters to find out whether there is a more modern version of the language you're learning, which is used in the industry, and to brush up on that as well as what you learn at Makers.

At one point we were told that we should expect to find a job within 3-6 months after completing the course which terrified a few people, but it turns out a good handful of our cohort had jobs within 4 weeks. However, I would advise budgeting for the full 6 months, or having a back-up plan,  just in case. The careers team are very helpful and supportive and the careers fair which is held every month generates some good opportunities.

• Over in a flash
    - 9/19/2019
    Ruth Baker • Software Developer • Graduate

IMO the things that work most in Makers' favour are:
    - careers support
    - behaviours practiced during the course
    - momentum of exposure to technical content
    - the community

Most important is behaviours, you will leave Makers with plenty of experience working in successful and challenging team/pair situations, and hours of pairing and collaboration on tech projects.  Doing these things well and with purpose I think is one of the hardest things to achieve learning on your own, and additional support from Dana the Joy Officer at Makers is excellent.

The curriculum gives students wide exposure to a range of technologies and tools _quickly_.  A lot of students felt like this learning style was too fast and surface level understanding.  It's only 12 weeks!

My experience at Makers was heavily impacted by my cohort. If you are not lucky to have open diligent learners around you there may be additional challenges to be ready for.  Students should be prepared for self-directed learning; Makers doesn't 'teach' you to code - pro-actively get what you need from the coaches to meet your goals.

I attended Makers as a Fellow: there were no course fees, and I found a job on the Pathway which is a fixed salary 12month contract with a Makers hiring partner.  I wouldn't do it a second time!!  But, I would recommend the fellowship to those getting started in coding careers.

• Lucy • Student

PROS

- the careers team is super competent, they work really hard to get good companies to come to the careers fair and help motivate you after the course is done. I would say that this proactive careers service is a lot of what justifies the course fees. It was by far the simplest job application process I have had to do, also as only a limited number of people get shortlisted you are up against a much smaller number of candidates than you would normally be when applying for a job (e.g. maybe you versus 8-10 other people)

- there is a fellowship option where you can do the course for free (definitely worth looking into)

- it is much cheaper than university and is probably more likely to get you into a decently paying job

- the atmosphere at Makers is very good. Makers, and especially its joy officer Dana, have gone out of their way to create a supportive and friendly environment. It did help that my cohort were also super lovely and collaborative.

- You learn more than you thought you were ever capable of, the speed of the learning leaves you with a mindset that you can learn and pick up anything

CONS

-  the coaches don't do a lot of coaches, they are mainly there to facilitate the course, and I found that the most helpful resources during the course were my cohort and google. If you struggle with independent work or a lack of guidance/vague guidance then this course is probably not for you.

- the organisation can be quite vague, the phrase 'trust the process' is used quite regularly although the process is not really explained. Aspects of the course, especially the review process, were in flux during my time at Makers which led to a lot of confusion and uncertainty as to what you needed to do to sucessfully graduate

- some of the weeks are better than others - there are a few bits of the curriculum like database week and week 7 (Javascript with no frameworks) that are quite chaotic and represent a massive step up in difficulty

GENERAL NOTES

- If you end up at Makers make sure to leave time for yourself to wind down. I forced myself to only spend one of the weekend days on the weekend challenge, and for the most part I didn't do any work when I left Makers at the end of the day. I didn't regret this at all and I think it helped me keep going during a very challenging but rewarding course. Also, if you are ever struggling go and see Dana, she really is very good at her job and has a real talent for making you feel better!

• Stuart Pethurst • Graduate

Hands down best boot camp to attend..you will learn the best industry standards, how to solve problems, self learning for the future (as code never sleeps and it’s a continual learning journey). Make new best friends and have the best time of your life. Learn from the best to become the best, and get the right tuition for the real world.

• Connor • Graduate

Pros:
    - You'll learn a lot in a short amount of time
    - Teaches you how to work in pairs and in a team
    - Friendly environment
    - Gives you the tools and the confidence to learn anything by yourself
    - Very supportive post course with hiring partners coming by every month looking for junior developers

Cons:
    - Very intense and time consuming
    - I personally found the review/portfolio process at the end of the course quite challenging but can see the value of it

• Clare Pinder • Junior Software Developer • Student

The good stuff:
    - Most of the coaches are very helpful and pretty knowledgable. If you push for it, you can get some useful support/critique of your work. It would be great if there was more of this, but presumably, the course would then cost more.
    - I think the course gives a good mix of learning stuff on your own, pairing and agile group work and covers some key technologies.
    - I enjoyed some of the softer side of the course - focus on learning techniques, meditation, yoga, blogging workshops etc.
    - They've recently introduced a Review which is basically a document you need to fill in about how you've achieved the course goals and a pairing session. I found this a really useful way to consolidate my learning from the course and to know I was ready to apply for jobs.
    - I got the job I wanted after the course, so it seems Makers gave me the skills necessary to be a credible candidate in the job market.

The bad stuff:
    - There was little if any support on the pre-course (4 weeks work from home) and you need to pass each challenge before you can see the next. That meant it was incredibly stressful if I got stuck on a stage - sometimes I didn't move forwards for days. Coach responses were disorganised and unhelpful e.g. the Friday before we were due to start, a friend of mine on the course got told that she wouldn't be allowed onto the on-site course but wasn't told why. She had to re-do the whole of a weeks work in a weekend and found that she had named a file wrongly, and then was allowed on.
    - Be wary of claims that you'll be job ready in 12 weeks. There is an additional 4 weeks from home before you start the course, and students take up to 4 weeks after the course to complete the Review (so they can start applying for jobs through Makers), although motivated students usually complete the review in a couple of weeks.

Some advice if you join:
    - Do as much coding as you possibly can before you start the course (see if you can get hold of the curriculum and prepare for that). In my cohort, about half of people had done some coding before meaning that those who hadn't started on the backfoot and it was difficult to make up ground.
    - Overall I found the course incredibly stressful - I think in large part due to the way the pre-course was handled as well as my own anxious tendencies during big life changes. If you are prone to stress and anxiety, have a think in advance about how you can manage the course in the best way for you.
    - It can be difficult to get time with coaches - you have to be persistent and assertive to get feedback on your work. It's well worth it.
    - You will get the most out of it if you really take ownership of your own learning - look at the curriculum and goals each week and plan how to meet them

• Deanna Green • Associate Engineer • Graduate

Makers is an amazing 12 week bootcamp that teaches you so much about coding. I would highly recommend it if you are thinking of making the move. You get support when you need it and the curriculum is well thought out to teach you certain skills. You will be in awe of how much you can learn in such a short amount of time at Makers and it is the best thing I have every done. To go from not having much coding knowledge to producing a group project in less than 2 weeks is unbelievable.

The only thing that I found slightly difficult to adjust to is in Makers you make a lot of your projects from scratch and they are very small projects but once you are at your company you are working on much larger code bases and finding your way around legacy code can be a bit difficult to grasp.

• Josh Glasson • Software Developer • Graduate

The Makers Academy bootcamp was amazing. I started with absolutely no coding experience, but in just 12 weeks I am comfortable writing programs in various languages. Makers Academy had a very clear structured course, and offered lots of additional reading and practice outside of their course. The coaches were very supportive and always happy to help with any problems we were having. The environment at Makers was great too, it was very relaxed and strongly encouraged self-learning to enable us to continue learning after we finished the bootcamp and moved into a work environment. I would definitely recommend Makers Academy as a place to learn how to code to anyone looking to make the move into software development.

• João • Developer • Graduate

My background
    Before Makers I had no coding / STEM background. I studied Fine Art at university and before that my A-levels were Philosophy, PE and Art.

Pre-Makers
    I started coding on my own for a few months - Codecademy, Odin Project etc. - to see if I could do it and if I enjoyed it. I found that I loved it (and was not terrible at it) so started looking for a course. I chose Makers on the basis of people I knew doing the course and enjoying it, Makers' teaching ethos and also their work on increasing diversity in tech. And maybe also the misc. good vibes that seemed to come with pretty much all the material that surrounds them. After doing most of the recommended prep materials and submitting my cover letter I was asked to come in for a pairing interview. After a brief chat on my background, why I was interesting in coding etc. we jumped into some pairing. I didn't have the answers to all the questions but I had a systematic approach to solving the problem, was ok with not knowing the answer to everything (which came in handy because there were quite a few things I didn't know!) and was able to communicate my thinking. At the end of this the interviewer told me that Makers would be happy to offer me a place.

Now
    I'm writing this review a day after accepting a full stack role in a software consultancy that I'm really excited about.

Pros
    - Holistic approach to learning.

Makers understand the course is incredibly challenging and do what they can to encourage devs to look after their wellbeing. This comes in the form of onsite twice-a-week yoga and daily meditation (led by the absolutely amazing Dana - believe the hype) and workshops giving you a crash course in how you can best look after yourself. Oh and there's a table tennis table for keeping you moving during breaks from the screen. Am now a complete yoga and table tennis convert.

- Incredible peers.

Makers selection process means that if you're on the course you'll likely be surrounded by a group of driven, diverse and collaborative peers. A lot of friendships are made here and if not that, at the very least you'll have a strong network you can lean on in the future for information and advice in your new profession.

- You learn how to learn.
    With technology constantly in flux, the most important skill you can have for a lifelong career as a dev is not learning a particular technology but instead being able to pick up any new technology quickly. Makers is a baptism of fire for developing this process. It is quite painful but it is incredibly effective.

- Industry best practices and skills.

That being said, what you practice your learning-how-to-learn systems on are exactly what the industry is after. The Makers business models relies on them producing developers who get hired. They ensure this happens by asking their hiring partners what skills and outlooks they most value in junior developers. This feedback is then implemented as content for the course. Knowing this gives you confidence that what you're learning is desirable and valued by the industry.

- The staff
    An organisation is nothing without its people, and Makers people are seriously high grade. The cleaning, coaching, events, facilities, careers and marketing teams are full of people passionate about the Makers ethos and doing their best for everyone on the course. It's a genuine pleasure spending time with them, from small interactions in the hallways to longer heavier conversations, the people really shine. This isn't to say that it's the land of milk and honey, as with any organisation / educational system there are problems. The thing that makes Makers really stand out is that when these arise they are willing to put their hands up, acknowledge if they've dropped the ball and focus on resolving the issue through open dialogue. There were some tense meetings for my cohort and some of the Makers team and they did an outstanding job of addressing everyone's concerns while maintaining professional conduct.

- Confidence

The focus on independent learning, the difficulty of the problems, the lack of time to solve them all make for a super intense learning environment. The upshot of getting through this is that you come out with stronger processes for learning new things and your growth mindset becomes more ingrained, you're less bothered by not knowing the answer immediately or coming across a project that you have no idea how to do - you just get stuck in with the processes and mindsets you learnt on the course and you can lean in hard on these to iteratively solve each problem one by one until the project's completed!

Cons

- Can be all consuming

You kind of have to put your life on hold for the duration of the Makers in order to get the most out of the course. Even with reducing a lot of external commitments it can still be difficult to balance the workload with what you need to stay healthy and happy (sleep, exercise, socialising, general downtime etc. ). Sometimes you do just have to have faith in the system, because everyone has their moments when things are looking pretty bleak!

• Jules • Junior Full-Stack Developer • Graduate

Me:
    I came to Makers with a non-technical background after teaching abroad for a couple of years, but otherwise having no graduate experience. I'd tried some online courses but only picked up basics, and didn't seem qualified for anything. I got a job offer in my fourth week after the course, with a company who had hired Makers grads before.

Course Pros:
    - 1 month pre-course gets everyone familiar with basic tools like command line and git, as well as basic Ruby programming
    - Solo weekend projects consolidate and build on what was learned during the week
    - Intensive, you will learn a huge range of techs needed to make you full-stack in the first half of the course, and apply it in group projects in the second half
    - Largely self-directed learning and group projects so that you learn to rely on yourself and your teammates, not the coaches
    - Gives you all of the skills that the industry wants, like TDD, Agile, pair-programming, and the ability to learn new things quickly
    - Immersive extras like regular lunchtime talks from companies, and evening/weekend events e.g. Makers unconference
    - Ongoing post-course support and access to Makers
    - Careers team experienced and visible
    - They're always trying new things and ask for honest feedback about everything

Broader Pros:
    - Generally transparent
    - Lots of companies want to hire more Makers grads
    - Some companies retrain employees through this course
    - A really positive atmosphere, and everyone is always happy to be there
    - A supportive community with lots of resources so you can find whatever you need
    - Focus on self-care and longevity so that you don't burn out (meditation after lunch, yoga, table tennis, game nights, cheese and wine, beer and pizza, Monday night climbing group)
    - Free bread, cereal, fruit, nuts as well as the usual tea, coffee, water coolers
    - Shower facilities, bike storage
    - Generally life-enhancing, you will learn how to learn, how to work in teams and pairs, how to push through tough situations

Cons:
    - The course is always being updated, so it can be hard to get the information you need
    - Things like the portfolio and review process can be unclear; an infographic would be great
    - Full on due to the weekend projects on top of the full-time course
    - That table-tennis table is in high demand, as are the rooms it's stored in

Overall:
    I recommend this course to anyone who wants to start/resume a career in tech, as you are so much more employable once you've graduated Makers.
    Be prepared to put in a lot of time, and to not be told all of the answers. It's hard, and it's up to you, but everything you need is there.

• Game Changer
    - 5/24/2019
    Kate Morris • Software Developer • Graduate

I was a professional developer before having children but found returning to tech almost impossible.
    Recruiters didn't know what to do with me and my skill set seemed to be out of date.
    16 weeks at Makers taught me about all of the current practices and 2 languages I hadn't used before.
    That is the vanilla answer but the broader experience was considerably more enriching.
    During the 12 weeks on site, I learned many things.
    I learned more about self-teaching than either of my degrees, more about working in teams than I ever had working in teams and how important self-care is.
    By the end of the course, I felt confident re-entering the tech world and secured several offers within two weeks of completion.

• Jethro • Graduate

The Makers environment is one in which you are expected to be in control of your own learning. There is no one chasing you up, there is no hand holding. But there is a lot of support when you need it. I loved the environment of Makers academy - I think I thrived by being in a structured learning situation where you have the freedom to explore, make mistakes and choose your path. Being surrounded by people on the same journey as you is super inspiring, and there's an energy and drive like nowhere else I've ever studied.

The coaching team has some truly excellent teachers with a real depth of knowledge. They spend their time answering your questions with more questions, which is really effective when they lead you in right direction. The course structure is varied and the focus is less on teaching you about a particular language and more about learning how to learn effectively. One aspect which is less positive is the eternal hunt for feedback. Feedback, especially coach feedback, is something which Makers places a really high value on and is necessary for passing your portfolio and review (the metrics by which you get access to the careers team towards the end of the course). Actually getting this feedback can be really tricky and drawn out, which can be frustrating. When you do finally get it, it is usually very helpful and incisive, however.

The careers team work with you from midway through the course, increasing in contact time. There is advice on how to find jobs, how to write a tech cv, technical coaching and general wellbeing chat. I feel like the careers team are as valuable as the coaches and were so helpful with me finding employment after the course. They support you and care about your journey beyond Makers, which is a real shining light when you are struggling to motivate yourself whilst job hunting.

The MVP of Makers Academy is the Chief Joy Officer. Before I started I was so skeptical of this job title, but my opinions changed swiftly. She is in charge of student well being - there for personal coaching/therapy, leads yoga classes and meditation, and is just generally a great presence. So appreciated in a highly pressured, fast paced stressful environment.

The Friday evening drinks, the ping pong, and the events that they put on (free and with pizza, normally) show how much they care about the Makers/tech/learning community. There is a vast network of Alumni, many of whom are open and willing to help each other out which is really helpful when you're struggling with a new technology or need some advice from someone further along the path than yourself.

What I've learnt at Makers is obviously applicable to coding, but I also think that it is applicable to almost anything I put my mind to. I think applying to the course was one of the best decisions I've made, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has the drive and energy to work hard and learn loads.

• Elliot • Graduate

Everyone there has decided to make a big commitment and change career. Everyone is so different but come together due to a mutual want and desire to be a software developer in one sense or another. This drive makes the people great to work with.

Makers isn’t simply teaching you a tech stack or a certain language. They ‘change the way you learn’. By this they emphasis that after 3 months they are not going to be there to hold your hand. This bootcamp is more about helping you have a process to fall back on when you are stuck. This is what will make you a great dev, not that you have learnt all the syntax in the world.

Due to this however, it means coach feedback is gold dust and you need to be very proactive by making sure you are getting all the feedback you need. It would be easy to go a long time and not know you were making the same mistake over and over. You are reliant a lot of the time on your peers and therefore small things can slip by unnoticed. This has been improved by the fact that you now need to collect evidence including your coaches feedback in order to pass your review (portfolio of evidence and a process review) which forces you to chase the coaches.

There are so many positives from the amazement you will have from seeing your own progression over the 3 months through to the atmosphere of the building daily with weekly celebrations on a Friday (and of course when you finally get the job you have been working for!). There are also cons such as the frustration at what feels like a lack of coaching at the start (but is actually a conscious choice) through to the lack of HDMI cables in a tech bootcamp.

But there is a job offer guarantee for a reason - Makers backs themselves and they have the stats to prove why.

• Brooke • Junior Developer • Student

This is a life-changing course which I am very glad I signed up for.  It's hard work, you need to be very self-motivated and driven to get through it as you will not be held accountable by anyone except yourself.  If you considering it I would strongly recommend attending a Q&A and demo day.

Pros:

- You will learn best practices but most importantly you will learn how to learn.  I have the confidence to approach any new technology now.
    - The coaches: I had some great support where I really needed it.
    - The careers team: these wonderful people are absolutely brilliant at their job.  Supportive, responsive and ready to give you interview practice, CV reviews, whatever you think you need.  I secured a job with a great company within a month of finishing.
    - Dana, the Chief Joy Officer: a bit of a lifesaver.
    - Course structure: this builds upon itself in a really sensible way so that you are iterating over the key learning points.
    - Social: i've met a wonderful bunch of people I hope I can stay in touch with.  You will get to know every single person in your cohort as you change pairs (pair programming) every day.
    - The alumni network seems pretty great with mentoring, coffee buddies and talks evenings.

Cons:

- You are unable to access the hiring partners until you pass your review.  I think this is made clear to new joiners now but this process wasn't in place when I signed up.
    -  Access to coaches can be quite tricky, particularly towards the end of the course when you're seeking feedback during tech test week and for your portfolio.
    - The portfolio is a bit of a PITA but I can really see the value of it having now finished it!  My advice is to chip away at it.

• mGg • Software Engineer • Graduate

Makers gave me a new career and desire to keep learning new things. during my time at Makers, I learned software fundamentals through pair programming and several agile team projects. The Makers staff are great people and everyone coming to Makers have such a positive vibe. Technologies and methodologies I have come across throughout makers were: object-oriented design (OOD), test-driven development (TDD), model-view-controller (MVC), Agile software development, Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, Node.js, React, RSpec, Jasmine, Jest, Enzyme, Cypress.
    If you keen to enroll at Makers, I would advise contacting an Alumni or going to meet the team and the students during an event and you will be convinced!