makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

London, Online

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on your passion for becoming a developer by gauging your coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

Makers Academy also offers a software engineering apprenticeship and fellowship as a pathway to a long-term career as a software developer. You don’t pay tuition and on completion of the course, you will become a Makers employee for 12 months and will work on site with a hiring partner with continued support from the Makers Academy coaches and careers team. Fellowship applicants must demonstrate a technical ability that outshines other candidates — Makers is looking to invest in outstanding individuals and a more inclusive tech future.

With one of the UK’s largest Careers team dedicated to finding you a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco).

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.81

all (185) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (19) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.

• Tom Spencer • Junior Developer • Graduate

This is an excellent bootcamp. The course is highly selective so you get to train with an excellent cohort of students who are driven and ambitious. The tutors are supportive and although you learn to work independently you are carefully guided if you experience any more intransigent coding issues. I am absolutely thrilled that I was able to experience this course and it is no exaggeration to say that completing the course has changed my career opportunities. The career support at the end of the course is outstanding and after graduation you automatically become part of a close community of coders who are leading the way in coding in the UK. My advice: Sign up now! You will not regret it!!

• Jake Pilikian  User Photo
    Jake Pilikian • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I’d like to start this on a simple note: I paid £8000 for this course and got a software engineering job between 30-40k per year. Regardless of what follows in this review, that alone makes this course worth the time and money.
    As I'm sure anyone looking at reviews is aware, Makers runs a 3 month boot camp course that gets you ready for work as a junior developer. It’s a great course, but I think there are a few things that stop it from being an amazing course. The first thing to know is that you are required to complete a one month precourse before you can join the main course on site. After you finish the course, expect the job search to take some time. All in all, the whole process from zero to software developer takes roughly half a year. How you choose to handle the job search is entirely up to you and Makers gives you a lot of freedom here. Some people choose to stick it out, while others go back to their previous employment while they search for a software engineering job.

Pros:

Learning
    The most valuable thing I gained from this course was the ability to learn. By the end of the main 12 week course, I truly felt that learning anything is possible. Makers also encourages you to keep your skills sharp by focusing on your process. They effectively teach you how to break down problems. Generally, it’s a very friendly and diverse community and everyone is very approachable. You’re also encouraged to take care of yourself during downtime. There’s a fully stocked kitchen, ping pong table and beer on Fridays. You’re also encouraged to participate in meditation, yoga and mindfulness in general by the Chief Joy Officer. It helps you to centre yourself and without her this course would be a lot harder.

Hiring Partners & The Careers Team
    This is without a doubt the most useful and best part of the course. Help is given for CVs, interview techniques, tech tests, and there are constantly lunchtime talks, seminars, meetups and other useful events about the industry and the best ways to get in. At the end of it all, this is what made me choose Makers; they have valuable industry connections that other boot camps don’t seem to have.

Cons:

Self-directed learning
    I think it's important to know that this course is very self driven. This doesn’t have to be a bad thing but £8000 is a lot of money to pay for a course where I mostly have to teach myself. Coaches are on site but their availability hours are rather narrow and sometimes it can be difficult to get the help you need.

Hiring Partners
    Makers have a lot of hiring partners which is great because often I found a lot of companies didn’t understand what boot camp grads did or just didn’t think we had enough experience for a junior role. Unfortunately the process isn’t perfect and I sometimes found the selection process of Makers hiring partners to be questionable; even though they had been endorsed by Makers some of them still seem not to what they require from a junior developer. Feedback from hiring partner companies also felt inconsistent.

Communication
    This was probably my biggest frustration with the course as communication at Makers can range anywhere from excellent to poor. Naturally, a lot of it takes place over Slack. Sometimes you just need important information and you could either get an answer from someone instantly or not at all. I found myself frequently feeling left in the dark--I think if someone needs help with something, it would be good to just shoot them a reply with something like "I'm still looking into this but I'll get back to you soon", instead of just not replying at all.

Overall Makers was still a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in starting a career as a software developer.

• Eithel Anderson  User Photo
    Eithel Anderson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Coming from a non tech background wanting to transition into the tech industry I had explored different options including self teaching, I'm glad iI made the decision to enrol with Makers Academy as the experience has been one of a kind. Before starting I reached out to Makers Alumni and not one person had anything bad to say about the course and after completing the course I can see why.

The great thing about the course is that it eases you into learning how to code and gradually ramps up in complexity. The coaches are always on hand to provide support and help along with the workshops, meditation and yoga is also available to all. The course offers different types of projects built through pair programming and group projects and by the end of the course you'll have a portfolio of projects. Another awesome thing is that even though we learnt Ruby and Javascript on the course as we are taught in a way that allowed us to easily pick up other programming languages, when it came to final projects some groups did theres in Python even though they hadn't written a line of code in it beforehand.

Definitely a great investment not only does Makers teach you how to code but they also have an amazing careers team that help with cv, applications and interview prep to help land you your first role in the industry.

• Farnaz Ardenti  User Photo
    Farnaz Ardenti • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Makers Academy is not just for people without tech background, I chose this course being already a web developer, wanting to learn TDD and backend and more importantly learning how to teach anything to myself and it turned out to be exactly that. I was lacking progression and learning new technologies in my job and online courses wasn't enough. I wanted to gain the correct mindset and learn around the people with the same passion as mine. Makers Academy was the best education experience I've ever had and I recommend this to anyone who wants to become a software engineer with a full package. With this course you don't even need to go to University for software engineering. Also in the end of the course you have the career's team full support in finding best companies suited for Maker's students to develop their skills further.

• Gabriel Gonzalez  User Photo
    Gabriel Gonzalez • Graduate Verified via GitHub

There is nothing better than accelerating your learning than joining a bootcamp. After spending some time trying to learn a coding language online, I decided to join Makers. I spent almost a year researching bootcamps in London and Makers was by far the most impressive one. One of the best decisions I have ever made. As someone from a non-coding background, like other reviewers I did find the course challenging at some points. I knew this was normal, and it is really worth sticking to it and trusting the process as the hard work pays off.

The course is really hands off, so if you expect to spoon fed information, or taught in a classroom environment then this may not be right for you. The emphasis is for you to develop key self-learning skills that will help you tackle most things post Makers. The course starts off in Ruby, then you get exposed to JavaScript later giving you a free rein to choose any tech stack you want for the final project. There is a good mix of people in the cohorts and a great camaraderie that helps further your learning. One of the best things about Makers is the post-graduation support by the careers team. You’re not left to fend for yourself, there will be a careers team that able to provide feedback and help with your efforts to find your first job in the industry. I can’t recommend Makers enough.

• Kay  User Photo
    Kay • Software engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The course itself is taught in Ruby with some javascript later on, however that won't stop you from getting employed in other languages, as the hiring partners have an array of different tech stacks. I got hired within 2 months of finishing, in my ideal position using C# and Azure. I would say this has been one of the best investments I have ever made and the careers team really put in a lot of effort to getting you hired!
  • James Holton  User Photo
    James Holton • Product Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I have worked in IT for many years, but for the last 10+ years I've drifted away from hands on development and moved to managing IT teams.  This never sat well with me, as I hated losing my technical skills.

So I decided to go on the Makers 3 month course, and haven't regretting it for a second.

The whole experience was fantastic, and has really got me ready to join a Web Development team, and actually start delivering code again.  The environment at the course was amazing, and the other people on the course made it a really great experience.

It's interesting that the course is very hands off, leaving you to figure stuff out yourself.  This seems odd, but has meant I've hit the ground running now that I'm back in my office.

I strongly recommend this course to anyone wanting a kick start into Web development.

• Chris Plant  User Photo
    Chris Plant • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before I started Makers, I had read several reviews stating that it was a hard course, and that it took up all of your time for those few months. This is the same experience for me, but that was a good thing. I was really looking for something to challenge myself and this course certainly did that.

I really liked the curriculum, starting off with Ruby and its easier to read syntax, and then moving on to Javascript and beyond. I liked the weekly challenges and the different projects you get to work on, and how they get increasingly more difficult each week. Along with this, I liked the fact that it was largely self-led learning - the coaches are there to give you advice, and do workshops etc but for the most part you are relying on yourself and your cohort. The coaches however do instill a good mindset about being able to learn anything, and how to easily pick up new languages due to the learning process at Makers. The only things I'd change to the curriculum is for them to maybe add more about some JS frameworks - maybe a few days on React or Vue etc since they are such a large part of development these days. The other would be to change week 7 as I haven't really found anyone that particularly enjoyed it and could maybe be used better learning something else.

The after course care has been really good. The careers team are great and are a very helpful lot. If you are active with them and engaging with the careers fairs etc then you can get a lot done in a short time. While it took me a few months to get a job, there was so much opportunity around and I feel that the alumni have been great at sharing job postings.

I don't think anyone is going to be an expert in development after 12 weeks, but Makers definitely gives you the tools and the attitude to pursue it and to be a great developer. I would always recommend them to anyone looking for a great new career.

• Guillaume Liard  User Photo
    Guillaume Liard • Junior software engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was told joining Makers would be a life changing experience, and I was told right! A friend who graduated and is now a software engineer recommended this "bootcamp" and I cannot thank her enough for this.
    I put "bootcamp" in quotes because to me, that word sounds like you would have a drill sergeant forcing you to work hard on something until you can't take it any more. For tech, that would be trying to digest a Computer Science degree in a few months. But Makers doesn't do that. The coaches teach you how to learn more than what to learn. Of course you'll have a set of tools they'll recommend you use for the project of the week, but mostly they teach you how to think like a programmer, how to solve problems, how to get un-stuck when a problem seems too big for you. It's not intense because you've got your head down trying to learn every single JavaScript library, but because you feel how much more you can improve and learn, because every day you understand a new concept that opens more doors.

And then there's the environment. I expected the technical know-how I'd be getting there, but what struck me the most was how good I felt being there. I was surrounded by like-minded, open, and generous people, both coaches, students and staff, who all contributed to make these intense 3 months (4 with the pre-course) the period I've felt the most relaxed and happy in the last few years. You're never alone in your struggles, and pair programming is at the heart of the whole course, learning from each others. Taking on this journey with people like them is priceless. The Chief Joy Officer, Dana, is probably the symbol of that spirit at Makers. Through quite a few workshops, she made me understand how emotional intelligence and awareness could practically, tangibly impact your well-being and your capacity to take on challenges. I even practised meditation, and I wouldn't have believed it had you told me a year ago...

Oh and once you're done, they're not done. There's a great team of people whose sole purpose is to find companies that they believe junior devs should work at, make sure students get in touch directly with them through careers fairs, and help the graduates be at their best for the whole application process. I applied in April, started in July, graduated in October, and started on my first dev role in November. 6 months to train and get a job as a software developer, I couldn't be happier.

If what you want is to know how to write programming languages' syntax, look up the documentation. But if you want to become a software developer, Makers is definitely a good bet!

• Amazing Experience
    - 11/14/2019
    joseph townshend  User Photo
    joseph townshend • software engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I finished makers in August of 2019 - and am about to start my first job in tech in mid Novemeber.

Makers was a tough few months, I certainly didn't find it an easy journey, but for the most part I had a really fun time. A lot of that is down to my wonderful cohort, many of whom are friends for life as well as a few of the staff. I definitely struggled most at the start of the course - I felt very uncomfortable and out of my depth, but this is something that we are really taught to 'lean into'. That feeling discomfort is part of growing and learning - I think around week 5 that mentality really began to click.

Makers is not a golden ticket to a job, it's a lot of hard work - and you get out what you put in. The course is good, but it is very self directed so it is up to you to do the work and the learning.

I feel like the course needs some updating, inclusion of React and APIs would be very useful given most tech test requirements. But I also understand that Makers is about giving you a foundation in programming - to learn how to learn. And I did find that to be the case, the real journey began for me post Makers when I was on my own, making up my own projects and learning what I wanted to learn. I felt like I was capable enough to tackle new technologies which was an amazing feeling.

Ultimately I managed to career change in well under a year, and in the most fun and exciting and mind opening way - and for that I am truly thankful to Makers.

• ADRIEN FABRE  User Photo
    ADRIEN FABRE • Software Engineer • Verified via LinkedIn

I recommend this programme because from my application to the moment I found a job, I found every relationship with the Makers team very human, supportive, constructive and positive.

Before Makers I did plenty of different studies and jobs and I already found myself quite good at learning new things. But now, I find myself being faster and more structured in anything I do. Even if during the Bootcamp it might feel a bit messy with too many resources to explore in depth, this is the process to get fast at learning and to know how to prioritise what to learn in order to constantly move forward in an Agile way.

In term of software engineering, well, I got a job and people tell me I am doing well, so I believe with the Makers process and some determination, it works. What I love the most is that Makers really focus at making you a good autonomous software engineer but also to be good at working with others (group work, Github, SCRUM) and to look after yourself (Yoga, Meditation, pace your self directed learnings), I believe this is what make the transition to the workplace easier.

You might be interested in reading the 2 Medium blogs I wrote about it:

• Russell Wind  User Photo
    Russell Wind • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    It says a lot about Makers that their open days for the course are also students final projects. The confidence is well placed as well, I graduate confident in my abilities and keen to start my new career. The curriculum is fantastic, focusing on your own independent learning but the real strength at Makers lies in the environment. Coaches and fellow Makers are friendly and helpful, meditation and yoga adds some relaxation to what could be a stressful time of your life and the building is a wonderful place to be. You can sense if from the moment you walk in but if you doubt me, attend demo day and see for yourself.
  • Ben Reynolds-Carr  User Photo
    Ben Reynolds-Carr • Junior Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I decided to move into software engineering as I was looking for something more challenging and focussed on problem solving. I was recommended Makers by a friend who already worked in engineering; he worked alongside Makers Alums who had been hired by his company after the course, so I knew going in that their methods worked.

The Makers course encourages you to get into the learning mindset, without being punishing if you don't understand something straight away. The early weeks consist of pairing with other members of your cohort on weekly challenges, which have multiple ways of approaching them (walkthroughs, reference materials). If there are concepts you don't understand in those early weeks, you'll continue to encounter them in different contexts going forward, so there's very often a realisation a week after you're introduced to a concept as to how it can be applied, as well as a really supportive coaching team who will unblock you if you feel you're struggling.

Makers focusses on Ruby at the start of the course, as opposed to JavaScript, which is more standard in the industry, however Ruby is a comparatively simple language for learning object-oriented programming and test-driven development, and they also teach you how to effectively learn new languages based on your understanding of an existing language.

Along with coding, you're also learning effective communication and Agile team-working styles that are used in the industry. You'll have seminars on effective communication and empathy alongside how to develop good algorithms, and yoga to destress after a long day writing code.

By the end of the course, you'll have a strong portfolio of work, a process for developing code and you'll be able to work effectively in teams, taking a final project from ideation to demonstration in just two weeks.

After the course, you get access to monthly jobs fairs with the Makers hiring partners. You also get a great support structure from the careers team from CV reviews and mock interviews, to offering you support if you are feeling disheartened.