makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

Bristol, Cambridge, London, Manchester, Online

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on your passion for becoming a developer by gauging your coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

Makers Academy also offers a software engineering apprenticeship and fellowship as a pathway to a long-term career as a software developer. You don’t pay tuition and on completion of the course, you will become a Makers employee for 12 months and will work on site with a hiring partner with continued support from the Makers Academy coaches and careers team. Fellowship applicants must demonstrate a technical ability that outshines other candidates — Makers is looking to invest in outstanding individuals and a more inclusive tech future.

With one of the UK’s largest Careers team dedicated to finding you a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco).

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.81

all (203) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (19) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.
  • Zaira Rasool  User Photo
    Zaira Rasool • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Yes, I learnt to code in 3 very intensive months (be prepared for all your relationships to take a backseat!). Yes, I got a job within two weeks of graduating from Makers. But really, that doesn't even compare to what really sets Makers apart from other bootcamps - and that's their focus on emotional intelligence, self-care and diversity. I have a few examples...

1. I was meant to start at Makers in February and got struck down by a serious and chronic health condition that took me out of action for 6 months. They allowed me to keep delaying the start of my course every month, were always available for me to talk through any concerns or questions I had. When I started, they were fully supportive to provide me with what I needed to be able to manage my health whilst at the course.
    2. On my first day, I had a few experiences (as a woman, and of South Asian descent) which made me feel uncomfortable. Although Makers and the rest of the tech industry have a long way to go when it comes to diversity, I was able to voice my concerns to a member of staff who then heard these concerns and took action to change the course of it. That made me feel really supported.
    3. We have yoga twice a week and daily meditation! Seriously going to miss that...

In terms of 'cons', I would say that the quality of coaching could have been better at times, and it did sometimes feel that they had not been trained thoroughly or had that much experience in teaching. I would also say that some of the course material really felt like it hadn't been updated in years. Also, it would have been nice to have some more time on Javascript - we talked a lot about asynchronicity but I didn't get to really put it into practice until we decided to do a Javascript stack on our final project. However, there is flexibility from week 10 onwards to do more Javascript if you prefer.

In saying that, I don't think any course can be perfect but Makers did feel like it gets the balance right and their pedagogy is effective, and they got me a job (I still can't believe I just got a job as a Software Engineer so quickly!). A shout out to the careers team for their support too!

• Olly H  User Photo
    Olly H • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I've just graduated from Makers Academy and got hired within 2 weeks. I still can't believe that after barely knowing any coding 4 months ago I became someone who can build professional apps in different languages, solve complex technical problems, quickly learn new programming languages or technologies. And become hireable as a full-stack software developer.

If you want to become a software engineer in a short period of time, it's the best option. Makers teach you not just how to code, but how to learn anything, how to be organised and strategic about your learning, how to push yourself and persevere. They create this intense learning environment where you are constantly pushed out of your comfort zone, so you have to work much harder than you would on your own. It's tough but very effective.

To alleviate stress and emotional pressure (imposter syndrome, overwhelm, mental fatigue), Makers create a supportive environment & help to deal with those issues. There are workshops on empathy & emotional intelligence, daily meditations, yoga, social event. You can't underestimate the importance of such support.

Another important aspect of becoming a successful software engineer is the ability to work with others. To be a part of a team, to work in pairs, to provide and received feedback. All that was an important part of the curriculum. We had daily pairing sessions in the first part of the course, followed by team projects. We learned and practiced agile, had standups, retros, brainstorming sessions, code reviews. All that can't be learned on your own.

And in the end, it was so much fun! I've met great people and enjoyed the process. I feel a bit sad that it's over, but I've excited about the next chapter. Working as a software engineer, being a coder and the Maker.

• It was good
    - 12/13/2019
    Luke Jones  User Photo
    Luke Jones • Siftware development apprenticeship • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I really enjoyed my time at makers, learned a lot and made a lot of good memories. It was extremely effective in teaching a lot of material in a relatively short time. I learnt more practical and usable skills and information in my three months at makers than I did in my time at main stream schooling. Definitely recommend
  • I have learnt a lot
    - 12/13/2019
    Josie  User Photo
    Josie • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was part of a remote cohort and have recently completed the 12-week course I found that the coaches are easily reachable for advice when needed and are very supportive, they don’t immediately tell you the answer but will always push you in the right direction; I found this really pushed me to learn more and helped me remember things better. There were also other members in my cohort I could reach out to when needed and they were all really friendly. The coaches keep track of your progress and will give advice if they feel you may need more support The weeks would be spent pairing with another student on a task to learn new things, we would use GitHub to collaborate and zoom to call. We also had group calls with a coach to talk about and learn new concepts. Sometimes pairing would be difficult as you would be in different locations. On a Friday we would do an independent task to apply what we had learnt. In the last few weeks of the course you work in teams to create projects of your own choice, this was a great way to apply what had been learnt while developing teamwork skills. We were able to present it in front of the entire cohort on the last day which was really enjoyable. It was structured well and covered a range of things including the basics of ruby and applying the skills to help learn other languages like JavaScript and java as well some postgres for databases. I started this course knowing very little about programming, and have finished it with plenty of knowledge and I have developed many skills. If you are looking for a career in software development, I would thoroughly recommend this course. This is a rather intense course and I sometimes felt it moved too quickly, but I have learnt so much in a short space of time while having lots of fun!
  • Will Bath  User Photo
    Will Bath • Software developer apprentice • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was part of one of the remote cohorts this year. I went into this program knowing very little about coding, and have finished with the experience to begin my journey as a software developer. The syllabus includes learning the basic theory, such as conditions, loops etc. , then progressing onto more complex concepts like methods and objects. You develop these skills over time by participating in weekly challenges where you can consolidate your learning and evaluate whether you need additional help. This process is particularly helpful as, unlike in an exam, you can be less confident on a topic without being judged or feeling you have failed at it. By the end of the course, Makers students are able to effectively plan projects, work as part of a coding team, write and test drive original code, and enjoy yourself while doing it! I would highly recommend this course to those who want to learn to code or expand their skills.
  • James Bingham  User Photo
    James Bingham • Verified via LinkedIn

I have just finished my 3 month training, and honestly it has been really challenging, but I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who has an interest in getting into Software Development. My knowledge when I first started programming was pretty basic but Makers teach you Ruby. This was the main focus at the start of the course but then you progress onto Javascript. For our cohort we did Java and also SQL. Doing all of this allows you to use this knowledge to learn a completely new language by yourself. You will also learn from the start how to Test Drive code, which is a really valuable skill when programming  for your future job!

I think the Final project was a really good way to showcase what you have learnt over the 12 weeks You also get to present it in front of your cohort and share your experience over the 2 weeks you had to make the product.

Overall, be prepared to put in a lot of time into the course in order to be successful but when you reach the end of the course its the most rewarding feeling to have completed it! You don't get spoon fed answers and you will also come across a questions from your coach that make you look further and find the issue out by yourself.

• Luke Gittins  User Photo
    Luke Gittins • Software Development Apprentice • Student Verified via GitHub

I enjoyed the course and found that by each week i was learning something new which helped move forward to the next unit to learn. I liked the way we learned not only about coding but also the way we share and collaborate code across the platform GitHub. One thing i struggled with sometimes was because the course progressed quickly in that we covered a new topic every week i would not fully understand a topic by the Friday and could have done with a second week on it to consolidate what i learned. Other than that it was a great course and very rewarding in the last few weeks where we made our own projects and presented them on the final day.

• Rhys Collier  User Photo
    Rhys Collier • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Moving into coding was a huge career change for me, having a performing arts and retail background but Makers made finding my first job in tech feel like an inevitability rather than a pipe dream. I chose Makers because they came across as a focussed, professional operation that offered good job support.

I enjoyed the focus Makers put on writing clean, clear code and instilling you with a strong problem solving process through TDD. This, more than the actual languages taught, made me feel confident I could get a job as a software engineer because these skills can be transferred to any language.

Being responsible for my own learning while on the course was another great aspect of Makers. Self-directed learning is a big part of how you learn at Makers. There are goals for each week, typically being able to understand and explain object oriented programming concepts or other technical concepts. The projects you work on each week give you an opportunity to explore and implement these ideas, but you’re encouraged to reflect each day on your own learning so far, what you do and don’t yet know and set yourself SMART goals to fill in the gaps in your knowledge. It’s a mindset and process that helps a lot post-course as you tailor your learning towards the requirements of jobs you apply for, even in languages you haven’t studied on the course. You trust that you can pick up any language you want.

The emotional intelligence syllabus really stood out to me from my time on the course as well; learning a lot in terms of empathy, effective communication and working in a team. Makers develop you as a person as well as a programmer and prepare you for the ever-changing world of tech.

The support post-course from the careers team is also solid. For me, the careers coaching offered is very friendly and effective; they helped me extract transferable skills from my previous experience to use in applications and guide me in terms of the type of work I’d want to do, as well as offering valuable feedback on my CV and interview technique. The careers team also have a varied range of hiring partners the work with in several different and interesting fields. I would though still encourage people to apply to jobs outside of Makers too as the careers team sometimes have insight into those companies and can give you good tips on what to look for/watch out for in an employer

• Freddie Varnals  User Photo
    Freddie Varnals • Junior Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Makers is an excellent place to kick-start your career in software development. As long as you commit yourself to the career change, fully commit to the work, take heed of the advice that's provided, and bring a positive energy with you, I have no doubt that you will get a great job in software development through this course.

The curriculum is heavily self-learning based, which might put some people off at first, but I have come to realise that it is this fact that actually makes the course a much stronger learning experience. The support is there, both technical and careers, but you're not going to be spoon fed, just as you wouldn't in a professional environment.

There is a lot to learn, and it can be intense, but over many iterations of students, Makers has REALLY honed the skill of taking individuals and turning them in to highly employable Software Developers. Trust the coaches and trust the careers team - they know what they're doing and are always there to help :)

As with pretty much any endeavour, you get out what you put in. As I say, no one is going to spoon feed you, so if you're not ready to fully commit and give it your all, then you risk wasting a lot of money. On the other hand, if you are ready to give it your all, you will come away with untold benefits and huge personal growth. Don't worry about your ability, Makers know what they're doing and they won't select you if you're not ready. All you need is positive energy and determination and you will succeed.

The final projects are a fantastic growth opportunity. Each team can build essentially any software they want, using any languages or frameworks they choose (as long as everyone in the team agrees). I can't tell you how much this (on top of the rest of the Makers experience) has helped me in interviews!

Finally, Dana (Chief Joy Officer) is absolutely incredible and a huge asset during your time at Makers. From meditation, to Yoga, to Emotional Intelligence workshops, she provides invaluable support throughout the entire process. You might not be someone who intuitively places a high value on these things, but trust me, they are HUGELY helpful during your time at Makers, and almost every company I have interviewed with places an extremely high value on Emotional Intelligence, Empathy, and Social Awareness. Those skills could well land you a job :)

• Jake Pilikian  User Photo
    Jake Pilikian • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I’d like to start this on a simple note: I paid £8000 for this course and got a software engineering job between 30-40k per year. Regardless of what follows in this review, that alone makes this course worth the time and money.
    As I'm sure anyone looking at reviews is aware, Makers runs a 3 month boot camp course that gets you ready for work as a junior developer. It’s a great course, but I think there are a few things that stop it from being an amazing course. The first thing to know is that you are required to complete a one month precourse before you can join the main course on site. After you finish the course, expect the job search to take some time. All in all, the whole process from zero to software developer takes roughly half a year. How you choose to handle the job search is entirely up to you and Makers gives you a lot of freedom here. Some people choose to stick it out, while others go back to their previous employment while they search for a software engineering job.

Pros:

Learning
    The most valuable thing I gained from this course was the ability to learn. By the end of the main 12 week course, I truly felt that learning anything is possible. Makers also encourages you to keep your skills sharp by focusing on your process. They effectively teach you how to break down problems. Generally, it’s a very friendly and diverse community and everyone is very approachable. You’re also encouraged to take care of yourself during downtime. There’s a fully stocked kitchen, ping pong table and beer on Fridays. You’re also encouraged to participate in meditation, yoga and mindfulness in general by the Chief Joy Officer. It helps you to centre yourself and without her this course would be a lot harder.

Hiring Partners & The Careers Team
    This is without a doubt the most useful and best part of the course. Help is given for CVs, interview techniques, tech tests, and there are constantly lunchtime talks, seminars, meetups and other useful events about the industry and the best ways to get in. At the end of it all, this is what made me choose Makers; they have valuable industry connections that other boot camps don’t seem to have.

Cons:

Self-directed learning
    I think it's important to know that this course is very self driven. This doesn’t have to be a bad thing but £8000 is a lot of money to pay for a course where I mostly have to teach myself. Coaches are on site but their availability hours are rather narrow and sometimes it can be difficult to get the help you need.

Hiring Partners
    Makers have a lot of hiring partners which is great because often I found a lot of companies didn’t understand what boot camp grads did or just didn’t think we had enough experience for a junior role. Unfortunately the process isn’t perfect and I sometimes found the selection process of Makers hiring partners to be questionable; even though they had been endorsed by Makers some of them still seem not to what they require from a junior developer. Feedback from hiring partner companies also felt inconsistent.

Communication
    This was probably my biggest frustration with the course as communication at Makers can range anywhere from excellent to poor. Naturally, a lot of it takes place over Slack. Sometimes you just need important information and you could either get an answer from someone instantly or not at all. I found myself frequently feeling left in the dark--I think if someone needs help with something, it would be good to just shoot them a reply with something like "I'm still looking into this but I'll get back to you soon", instead of just not replying at all.

Overall Makers was still a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in starting a career as a software developer.

• Eithel Anderson  User Photo
    Eithel Anderson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Coming from a non tech background wanting to transition into the tech industry I had explored different options including self teaching, I'm glad iI made the decision to enrol with Makers Academy as the experience has been one of a kind. Before starting I reached out to Makers Alumni and not one person had anything bad to say about the course and after completing the course I can see why.

The great thing about the course is that it eases you into learning how to code and gradually ramps up in complexity. The coaches are always on hand to provide support and help along with the workshops, meditation and yoga is also available to all. The course offers different types of projects built through pair programming and group projects and by the end of the course you'll have a portfolio of projects. Another awesome thing is that even though we learnt Ruby and Javascript on the course as we are taught in a way that allowed us to easily pick up other programming languages, when it came to final projects some groups did theres in Python even though they hadn't written a line of code in it beforehand.

Definitely a great investment not only does Makers teach you how to code but they also have an amazing careers team that help with cv, applications and interview prep to help land you your first role in the industry.

• Farnaz Ardenti  User Photo
    Farnaz Ardenti • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Makers Academy is not just for people without tech background, I chose this course being already a web developer, wanting to learn TDD and backend and more importantly learning how to teach anything to myself and it turned out to be exactly that. I was lacking progression and learning new technologies in my job and online courses wasn't enough. I wanted to gain the correct mindset and learn around the people with the same passion as mine. Makers Academy was the best education experience I've ever had and I recommend this to anyone who wants to become a software engineer with a full package. With this course you don't even need to go to University for software engineering. Also in the end of the course you have the career's team full support in finding best companies suited for Maker's students to develop their skills further.