makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

London, Online

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on your passion for becoming a developer by gauging your coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

Makers Academy also offers a software engineering apprenticeship and fellowship as a pathway to a long-term career as a software developer. You don’t pay tuition and on completion of the course, you will become a Makers employee for 12 months and will work on site with a hiring partner with continued support from the Makers Academy coaches and careers team. Fellowship applicants must demonstrate a technical ability that outshines other candidates — Makers is looking to invest in outstanding individuals and a more inclusive tech future.

With one of the UK’s largest Careers team dedicated to finding you a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire (including but not limited to Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco).

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (178) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (17) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.

• Sapphire  User Photo
    Sapphire • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Makers Academy is quite the experience but it's not for the faint of heart. The course provides a intensive experience covering programming best practises such as pair programming and test-driven development, helping students gain the skills to get a job as a junior software engineer and be an effective member of a team. The support provided from the coaches and Chief Joy Officer throughout the course was fantastic and the careers team were brilliant, helping me find a job within a week of finishing the course. It's a great choice if you want to become a software engineer.

• Alistair Kung  User Photo
    Alistair Kung • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Makers has completely reinvigorated my relationship with learning and instilled within me a belief that I can achieve whatever I set my heart to.

The couse itself is challenging and is designed to acquaint you with the feeling of unknown. If you're looking for a formulaic, spoon-fed experience similar to University/School this may not be for you. You are often given the bare minimum information to fulfill each week's task which can at times be frustrating but empowering at the same time when you ultimately succeed. By the end of the course I felt like I could learn absolutely any language/library/framework independently.

Content-wise there is a huge emphasis on best practices (e.g. test driven development(TDD), pair programming) which, having spoken to people from other bootcamps where TDD is not covered, would perhaps set you apart and better prepare you for life as a software developer.

The coaches at Makers are amazing. They offer plenty code review to push your skills to the next level and are masters of extracting every ounce of learning possible every time you are stuck/need help.

It could not be emphasized more that the Job Assistance that you receive after the course is invaluable. The careers team helps to find you ample opportunities to apply to whilst providing coaching to help keep morale, motivation and belief high until you finally find your first software developer job.

Overally Makers has been the most valuable experience in my adult life and I could not recommend it more.

• Junior Developer
    - 10/10/2017
    R  User Photo
    R • Junior Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

Makers Academy lives up to its promises. It has a great community of software developers connected to the place and really encourages you to get involved with it. It has a firm focus on learning to write high quality code, and you end up with a portfolio of a variety of projects built with ruby and javascript.

It is intense, but its not too hard in terms the learning curve and at the end of it many of our cohort got a job within 2 weeks - including me. They have a good careers fair where students can meet employers, who end up hiring many of the students finishing a cohort.

The teachers are very knowledgable and supportive, this course does demand some independent learning as well, but if you ever feel you are struggling there is loads of help. It has a large focus on group and pair work, to prepare you for industry, and helps give you confidence for job interviews. If you are thinking of becoming a software developer and get a job quickly then go for Makers!

• Transformative!
    - 10/10/2017
    Nandhini   User Photo
    Nandhini • Software Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I loved the course and the people are amazing. It is was life changing for me. It made me push my boundaries, be polite and comfortable with being uncomfortable. The curicullum is really good  and in depth. Completely worth it!

• Tom Scanlon  User Photo
    Tom Scanlon • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Makers in search of a career change, like many others. After quite possibly the most difficult 12 weeks of my life, my search is over.

Makers is difficult. Very, very difficult. It doesn't matter if you've never written a line of code in your life, or if you're a hobbyist developer wanting to take your skills to the next level - Makers will be difficult for you. It is a bootcamp in the purest sense of the word. Expect to put the rest of your life on hold for 3 months.

That being said, it has been a fantastic experience for me. The course content is fantastic, the coaches are fantastic, the staff are fantastic, the careers support is fantastic, and your fellow students will be fantastic as well.

Makers sets itself apart from other bootcamps by its course content. While marketed ostensibly as a web dev bootcamp, there is a strong focus on writing high-quality code, which is valuable to any software developer. The cirriculum at Makers will prepare you for any software development job, which I believe is a huge plus.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll probably dream in code as well, but at the end of the course you'll look back with amazement at how much you can learn in 3 months if you put your mind to it.

Makers is a life-changing experience.

• Becca  User Photo
    Becca • Junior Technologist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Makers was a fantastic experience, albeit very intense! They do a lot to foster a sense of community, I met so many lovely people both in my cohort and staff members. This really pays off during the course as it is difficult and you are really pushed so having a support system within the course makes such a difference. There's also a lot of effort put into student well-being with yoga and meditation classes. The course focuses on helping you to teach yourself, you are not spoon fed very much beyond the very first steps and are taught how to find the answers yourself. Beyond coding, you also learn good practices to use while coding which I found invaluable, this works as a framework for everything you pick up. I think my only criticism would be that there is a lot of self-learning, but with perspective, it has helped me so much after graduating when I'm working on my own.

As for employment the careers team were lovely for me and supported me all through the process. They found me relevant jobs and chased up companies who were dragging their feet.

I came to makers with no tech background and now have a job as a developer! If you can afford it and are a hard worker I would definitely recommend it!

• Ruan Odendaal  User Photo
    Ruan Odendaal • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

If you're serious about a career change and are up for a challenge then Makers Academy is for you!

The entire course is pretty intense, 3 months of weekly topics followed by weekend challenges to really make sure you learn as much as humanly possible. It was amazing!

This is not to scare you off but equally if the above doesn't excite you then you might struggle because every person who makes it onto the course will have signed up to this and be raring to go!

The course: Like many people I wanted to make a switch into development and doing tutorials at home wasn't really cutting it. The course itself is great, every week (well most) your coach starts the week of introducing the next topic. Sometimes this may involve whiteboard sessions, talking through syntax and others just pointing you and your pair to the repository for that topic. That week you then spend working through a specific challenge focused on teaching you about this topic. Each day you switch pairs so you have the benefit of looking at different code, different ways of thinking and learning from one another.

This is ultimately the key thing that makes Makers Academy so good. They get a whole bunch of passionate people from diverse backgrounds together, set them a challenge and support where necessary. Makers isn't an onsite tutorial because if it was you really wouldn't understand the content. If I didn't have to figure things out myself (or with my pair) I honestly don't think I'd remember half of what I do now.

Career support: They have a great careers team who do everything they can to support you in your job search afterwards. But just like the course, this is driven by you and you have to be prepared to put the hours in.

• Overall Experience:

I loved Makers Academy, but be warned, this course is not for the faint-hearted! It is really intense - it has to be, it's only 12 weeks long! So you have to be prepared to commit utterly during that time, including weekends, if you want to make progress.

I chose to do Makers Academy because I felt that just doing online tutorials by myself was difficult to find time to do while working, demotivating and left me with a lot of questions. Makers Academy did not disappoint. The way that the course is structured means that you're not spoon fed a 'how to be a developer' syllabus but rather led to discover yourself how to be a developer - you're given signposts, if you will, rather than an actual map. So we were taught concepts, skills and behavioural practices (Agile, XP values) over the concretes of how to actually write code, as the latter is usually quite easy to find yourself.  The focus is put on learning how to learn and learn quickly in order that students can leave with a certain level of self-sufficiency when coming across a new language or coding practice after the course is over.

We pair programmed throughout the duration of the course - this is great for honing communication skills,  for learning how to talk clearly about unfamiliar concepts and enhancing understanding. Again, this is not for everyone - if you're a lone ranger,  get frustrated at others for being slow or resentful of people being ahead of you, then you should probably look into other courses.

One of the really great things about Makers Academy was that we were being taught best practices on real-world applicable projects from day one. It meant that right from the beginning I knew that what I was learning I could actually use once the course was over - which sounds daft but I did a degree and have not used it since graduating.

I also appreciated Makers Academy's attention to the wellbeing of their students - it could be easy to burn out in such an environment, but daily meditation, twice weekly yoga and the support of the Coach and Joy Officer kept me simmering at an optimal learning temperature rather than boiling over.

Conclusion: do this course if you want to be a software developer, are happy to put in the time, are cool with self-learning and enjoy collaborating with people to build awesome things.

• Ben • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I am a Makers graduate and I can say Makers has been such a great experience for me and I would definitely do it again if I could; I highly recommend this course to anyone who is willing to change their life and begin to learn code. If you put in the effort, you will succeed, especially with their job offer guarantee. There is no prior knowledge needed, as I had minimal knowledge in coding beforehand and I thought the course went at a good pace. The partnerships team really make the difference, the companies they partner with are such great companies to work for. Overall, an amazing course which I highly recommend to anyone willing put in the effort!
  • Life Changing
    - 3/10/2020
    Andy • Graduate
    I finished Makers in January 2020 and it took me just over 6 weeks to get a job thanks to the post-course careers support and careers team/partnership team.

The journey to get here has been an intense and sometimes frustrating experience. But overall the experience I had at Makers was extremely rewarding and definitely set me up for life-long learning. The course really does do a great job at giving you a well-rounded foundation to become a junior developer. The focus is not on learning fancy frameworks or languages, instead opting to build foundational knowledge of things such as Test Driven Development, SOLID software principles and agile working. These principles can be applied to any language and really help solidify core concepts. I found starting in Ruby and then moving on to JavaScript, I was able to translate these fundamentals into other languages when the time came. I have accepted a job working in C#(something that we didn't cover) but the concepts and ideas learnt transfer across.

This course is very much self-lead learning. At first this can seem quite intimidating and you can feel a little lost in the first week. The only downside was it did take a few weeks for good self-lead learning techniques to kick in. This could maybe be address in the pre-course instead of you having to find them out as well as tackle new material in the first week. Once you get on top of this though the knowledge really sticks and stays with you. I am continuing to use these techniques now and will continue to use them. Don't expect to be given the answers if you want help though. Feedback can also take a while to get(if you ask for it that is) and it does not come unless you ask for it.

Overall a fantastic experience, where I met and worked with some very talented people. The course teaches you what you need to know, what you need to work on, how to learn and how to continue learning and developing. I would recommend it if you are serious about changing career and have a decent level of self-discipline. You do only get out what you put in.
  • Kris N • Software Engineer • Student
    I don’t come from a tech background, but I found the Makers course easy to get in to. It’s hard work, but they have a great group of coaches on hand to help you through it. If you take the time and effort, the course is extremely rewarding. I feel like I learned a lot in a very short time.
  • Amy B • Graduate
    I finished Makers in January 2020 and have accepted a job offer about six weeks after graduation - I'm very happy as I thought it would take a lot longer than that! The average time to find a job is more like three to four months.

Personally I had an amazing experience at Makers and never doubted for a second that it was the right choice for me. That's not to say that it wasn't a difficult and emotionally intense six months! (From pre-course to securing a job) My advice would be that you need to be sure that you are ready to commit to it and it's what you really want. I started the process of trying out coding, researching learning materials and Makers, looking at job possibilities and planning my finances almost a year before starting the course - not everyone does it this way but I wanted to be sure I was making the right decision.

Like plenty of the other reviewers have said, you get out of the course what you put in. You're definitely not spoon-fed the course materials, you need to take initiative and solidify a lot of the concepts yourself, either by self learning or working with fellow cohort members. The coaches were generally lovely and helpful but you need to be proactive and go seek them out when you need them. You're also responsible for setting your own learning goals and deciding how you will reach them. I found this tough at first as it's not at all how I learned in the past, neither at university nor at work.

I met some lovely people on the course from all kinds of different backgrounds. I enjoyed the experience of everyone learning together and pairing with different people every day, I think this helped to bring us together and I felt the cohort members really supported one another.

A big plus is the course's focus on emotional well-being. It's easy to promote this attitude while not actually living it but I found Makers really do practice what they preach. As well as regular meditation, yoga and table tennis sessions, we also had talks and workshops geared towards working effectively with other people and looking after yourself. If you are struggling whether with technical or non technical issues then help is there when you need it. This attitude and support carries on after you finish the course and begin looking for a job.

I think what Makers offer that's unique and worthwhile is that they show you how to go about teaching yourself new tech and concepts and prepare you as best they can for your first job in a professional tech environment.
  • Jade • Student
    Although I had some experience coding, Makers quickly identifies your breaking point and gets you pushing yourself further every day whatever your ability. This is very much self-driven study and the coaches are there to help guide you...
    -to find the solution yourself,
    -to work with others in paired programming,
    -to work in groups on projects,
    -to communicate effectively,
    -to work under pressure of imminent deadlines,
    -to work with an understanding of Agile methods,
    -to work on self-development and self-improvement,
    ...honing exactly all the other skills you need alongside coding.
    In terms of coding, you could probably learn the content yourself if you were disciplined enough but you would be missing out on a lot of soft skills appropriate (desired) in the workplace. The Makers coaches help to sustain the pace and enthusiasm to keep constantly challenging yourself and enable learning so much in a short amount of time.
  • Empowering!
    - 3/1/2020
    Natalie • Graduate
    From day 1 Makers creates a very supportive environment conducive to learning while also preparing you well for the working world.  With a curriculum that covers pair programming, agile processes, test driven development, object oriented programming, continuous development/ integration and emotional awareness, it is a uniquely holistic course. Not to mention the yoga, meditation, ping pong, well stocked kitchen and socials! In addition, there are process workshops, external code reviews, talks from hiring partners, CV clinics, 1-1 careers coaching and careers fairs available for you to attend. Maker's self-led learning and language-agnostic philosophy is refreshing, although many felt that the course materials could be updated to be more reflective of the current job market (e.g. React and Node.js instead of Rails).

I would highly recommend this course if you are in a financial and mental position to be able to commit fully and make the most of all it has to offer. Makers undoubtedly provides you with the tools you need to succeed but ultimately (as with most things in life) you will only get out of it what you put in.
    - 2/21/2020
    Duncan S • Graduate
    Before Makers I was working at in a role which gave me very little pleasure and offered little in the form of learning opportunities or technical skill.  Makers Academy has given me the tools to pursue a real career change and find a role that I really enjoy in a very short period of time.  I am grateful for the support of the coaches and career team who are committed to helping you through the course and afterwards.  One of the main benefits of Makers is the environment that is available to you throughout the course, the material is great, but the real advantage is being able to work in teams or pairs with other people who are passionate about becoming developers.   Makers has been a fantastic experience from start to finish and although it was scary leaving a stable job to enroll in the bootcamp, it has been totally worth the risk.  I would reiterate past reviews that the teaching style often follows a hands off approach, which initially may be difficult, but in the long run I have found it a very useful approach to learning.

I would definitely recommend this course for anyone looking to make a career change!
  • Elise Aston • Junior Developer • Graduate
    Leaving my job to apply and pay for this course was one of the scariest decisions I've made! It was UTTERLY worth it - it has been the best experience of my life.

The course content taught me so much more than I could ever have learnt at home through online courses. I felt fairly confident about my Ruby syntax before starting, but I still learnt SO much about programming that I would never have been exposed to without the course - things like programming best practices, TDD and thorough testing, deploying projects etc. As well as Agile team processes. The holistic workshops about EQ have also been fascinating and taught me a lot about working styles and personality types, which will be useful with dealing with future colleagues.

The course is very much self-led learning, and all the staff and resources are very open about this from the beginning. In fact, one of the factors in my decision was being told that the course was largely self-led without much hand-holding during my campus tour before I had applied. I personally enjoy the challenge and freedom of the style, but I think some students can find it frustrating or even daunting, so you should consider whether this will suit your learning style when choosing a bootcamp.

There are 4 technical coaches. One coach will work with your cohort each week, leading morning workshops and setting the challenges for the week. All coaches are on-hand in the morning to help with individual challenges, although you are actively encouraged to find solutions yourself before asking for help (as you will be in the industry). The coaches are all very approachable.

I hadn't really considered the post-course careers team and support when choosing a bootcamp, but the team at Makers are fantastic. They take time to sit with you and understand your technical skills, as well as your preferences in what sort of role and company you are looking for. There are many lunchtime talks and careers fairs where hiring companies present their organisation and currently available roles. There is the opportunity throughout and after the course to participate in "reviews", which is like doing a live tech test with a reviewer over Skype. These are daunting but incredibly useful, and definitely take some of the fear out of tech tests in interviews. Finally there are two careers coaches available for graduates during the job-hunt, who are WONDERFUL - always approachable, available, reassuring, full of practical advice for for specific questions about your job-hunt, but also very pragmatic about the experience - for example, I was surprised and delighted to be actively encouraged to take a holiday after I'd graduated, and to make sure to factor in "fun things" into my daily to do list during the job-hunt.

Makers is undoubtedly a very intense experience, with extreme highs and lows. However for me, it is one of the best experiences of my life. I have learnt SO much, which has been very stimulating. I have met wonderful people from diverse backgrounds - both the staff and my fellow students. And in a short period of time, Makers has given me the skills and the opportunity to have a complete career change.
  • Stuart Priestley • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate

As someone already working in a team of software engineers for over a year, at first I wasn’t sure what the course would bring to me in terms of knowledge and skills. What can I say, it was simply the most productive learning experience I have ever been involved with. Professional coaches, well designed tasks, and great support and feedback all the way through. Has given me the confidence to become the engineer I always thought I could be. Especially loved the constant focus on test-driven-development, really job-relevant and teaching me the skills I need for my day-to-day work. Having tried a number of different development routes, I could not be more positive about Makers in comparison to the others, they are streets ahead and I will be recommending them to everyone that I speak to over the coming months and years! Great job!

• Rob Baile • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Makers ethos is to teach people how to learn rather than teaching them everything there is to know about software development. They deliver this brilliantly. Having undertaken two different courses using both approaches, I can safely say that this approach to learning is preferable. This is because the self-learning element is central to becoming a good software engineer in an ever moving industry and will allow me to continue to develop long after the boot camp finished.
    The course itself featured 7 weeks of learning modules, each building upon the previous ones knowledge and skill. The final 5 weeks was split up into 3 self led team projects. I found all 12 weeks to be beneficial but with some previous programming knowledge, I particularly enjoyed the team projects as we were able to use all core development skills in a real working environment.
    I would recommend this course to anyone who is looking to kickstart their career in software development as it gives you all the core skills that you need to grow and flourish in the work place.
  • Migle
    - 1/8/2020
    Migle Kubiliute • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

I joined Makers with no coding experience, and in 3 months I've learn an enormous amount. Not only I've gained a technical knowledge, but I was also introduced to agile processes and the ways teams operate. Makers have mental coaches, so there is always someone to help you if you find the course(or life) too challenging. Makers prepare you for your new career very well, the course is very well organised and the coaches are extremely professional. I recommend this course to anyone who wants to build a career as a software engineer. On the first day at my workplace I was able to use the skills I've gained during this bootcamp. Makers is the place to start :)

• Joe

Pros:
    -Taught how to learn, not just given the answer but guided in the right direction and suggested things to try.
    -Very supportive coaches that were always happy to help.
    -Taught how to pair program, work in an agile team, and solo program.
    -Learnt a wide variety of skills (command line, git, searching solutions online, databases, HTTP requests, programming concepts such as arrays,
     methods, OOP, etc), which are proving very useful in the workplace.
    -Extras such as meditation and yoga.

Cons:
    -Spent too long on Ruby and not enough time on the more difficult languages used in the project weeks and then in the workplace.
    -Not enough resources available from Makers during project weeks when you start working with languages other than ruby.
    -Not always enough coaches for the amount of students which could lead to being stuck without support for a time.

Overall a great experience, went in with minimal coding experience and left having learnt loads and made many friends. Would recommend the course if you are looking to start a career in software development and have minimal coding experience.

• Rafaela Silva • Graduate

During the 12 weeks you will learn to develop your own form of learning and can ask the coach for help at any time, this is a very useful way to start your career, knowing how to ask for help and being independent. Having people from different backgrounds makes the experience even nicer. I definitely super recommend it!

• Dominic • Graduate

Makers helped me realise my dream of becoming a developer.

I really my time at makers. I have met a lot of people who I know I will remain friends with. They have put a lot of effort into making the whole place a positive place to be. They are not purely focussed on coding and they offer things outside of code like yoga, meditation, pizza nights with games, kareoke and more. They have an aim to make you a more well-arounded emplyable developer rather than just a technical champion.

In terms of the coding, the process eases you into the process but each week you are more entrusted to work with less structure and build things as part of groups following the processes you have been taught throughout. Support was still there if needed. I really liked this way of working.

Although I can see the benefits to learning Ruby as a first language due to the way it reads plus the syntax is more forgiving. However it seems maybe Rails/Ruby aren't as relevent in the job world as they once were and the course spends alot of time focussing on them. However we did cover Javascript and some React. And final projects you can choose your own tech stack which meant you can go wild do things like use Python!

They have a big careers team and they have loads of partnerships with all sorts of companies from brand new starts ups to big American companies. Companies come into to give talks and they have careers fairs too.

You can learn the code and technical stuff yourself online. But they teach you things like coding as part of a team and using team processes to developing apps. Which is obviously beneficial for getting a job as real world dev. It is awesome, the fact they have all this careers support and will help you find a job.

• Albion Bidder • Graduate

Overall the course is excellent, it is challenging at times but equally rewarding when you get past where you were previously stuck. The course covers not just how to code but other important skills like working efficiently in a team and how to change languages quickly. I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to start a career as a software developer.

• Jay • Graduate

The staff at Makers provide a wholistic approach to learning. The coaches are always available for support whether this is in terms of writing better code or personal well-being. There is a very friendly atmosphere with an reliance on self learning. The 16 weeks are well structured, learning the basics in Ruby and applying it to other languages such as Javascript (and another language of your choice for the final project). At the end of the 16 weeks I feel as though I can quickly pick up new languages and apply what I've learnt to produce a decent product.

• Bartosz Danek • Graduate

I was part of 3 months Apprenticeship BootCamp. Never before had a chance to learn brand new technology that way . Makers provided completely new and very effective way to learn how to code . Together with new skills of self learning , effective research and mental health and good life balance . I really missing Makers environment .