Makers Academy is a highly selective, 16-week, full-time program which teaches web development online and in hybrid cohorts at their campus in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. While they are highly selective, they focus on a student's passion for becoming a developer by gauging their coding experience. Makers Academy also offers apprenticeships in Software Engineering and DevOps.
The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.
With one of the UK’s largest careers team dedicated to finding students a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire, including but not limited to: Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco.
Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.78
Recent Makers Academy NewsRead all (21) articles about Makers Academy →
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Deposit £850.00 FinancingStepEx, Lendwise, Coursebud. Tuition Plans Available through 3rd parties Scholarship £850 discount to women and gender minorities.
Minimum Skill Level We expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges. Prep Work To prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
Makers Academy Reviews
359 reviews sorted by:
- Buckle up, not an easy course!- 8/23/2021Anonymous • Graduate • Course: Remote Web Development • Campus: Online+ Great support during/post course
+ Invaluable resources available throughout your journey
+ Amazing sense of community
+ Resources available on mindfulness and EQ
- Remote learning needs polishing (would have preferred on site learning)
- £8k is a big investment especially for remote learning
If you get accepted, prepare for a challenging but rewarding 16 weeks!
- Great course and Careers support- 8/20/2021Anonymous • Graduate • Course: Remote Web Development • Campus: OnlinePros:
- Huge amount of resources available during the course (you can choose the topics you want to focus on).
- Post course careers support (writing CVs, cover letters and building up necessary skills for a job).
- Hiring partners give access to jobs specifically targeting bootcamp graduates.
- A lot of work during the course, especially if you go in with zero experience (I'd recommend spending time to learn basic syntax and be able to write simple script eg. on codewars)
- Great Bootcamp for Beginners- 7/20/2021Anonymous • Full Stack Developer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: LondonI really enjoyed my time at Makers Academy. You learn so much and it’s great that you can get in with very little coding knowledge.
It’s an intense course where you learn new things every day and can be draining but Makers offer great support and are genuinely passionate about mental well-being.
I did the remote course which was good but I feel I would’ve benefited more from being there in person so if you have the chance to do the course on campus I would say do that.
- Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: LondonMakers has a well-defined program, which works through the various facets of software development in an organised way. There are extensive banks of learning exercises, along with good access to coaches. I would say that there is space for some additional resources that teach you the topic, rather than just provide exercises for you to practice it.
The after-course support from the careers team is where Makers really shines. Help is available for graduates to consolidate their learning, apply for jobs or interview for jobs, with regular workshops run for each. There are also careers coaches available for 1:1 advice and support. The coaches are interested in graduates as individuals, and focus on helping them to understand and display their most marketable skills.
I learnt so much on the course!
- Amazing course, inspiring people!- 6/30/2021Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: LondonI undertook the Makers course as my career was stagnating. I learnt so much in a challenging and engaging environment and Makers go above and beyond to make sure the new entrants of the white, male world of tech are diverse and know to be inclusive. Even though it was remote I felt connected and have made lots of new friends and perhaps most importantly am now employed within three months of completion!
- Surely the fastest way to retrain as a developer- 5/26/2021Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: LondonPros:
- Enforces habits and rituals of engineering environments that it would be really hard to achieve self-led (e.g. diagramming, TDD, BDD, Agile, CICD). My technical interview questions were based on these!
- Amazing emotional support - they want you to challenge yourself but to also practice self-care above all else which is excellent.
- Great people; both coaches and jobhunting team - every one who works there is smart, so supportive and keen to help you succeed.
- Really is a transformative experience. I knew next-to-nothing about software developing in November, enrolled in February and then got my first dev job in May - three weeks out of the bootcamp, with a Makers hiring partner. Not everyone has been that lucky though and some have been searching a long time for the right role.
- Alumni community is amazing.
- Zoom fatigue: you pair every afternoon for 3-4 hours which can be exhausting, and there are a lot of group projects. Also there is little time for you to do self-led learning (which is my personal preference).
- Syllabus needs a bit of love - the links are out of date on a lot of the curriculum.
- I changed careers at 40- 3/7/2021Anonymous • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: LondonI started this course with only two weeks of experience in coding, and now, 5 months later I'm about to start my first role as a software developer.
- The coaches are great, super helpful and keen to ensure you've understood the concepts but you need to reach out and ask for help.
- You are in a cohort with like-minded people of all abilities so you'll find yourself sometimes learning from others or taking on a teacher-role.
- The job-hunting support is great, lots of workshops on offer with great career coaches.
- Anonymous • Associate Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Remote Web Development • Campus: OnlineThe coaches were excellent throughout, very patient and forthcoming whenever I reached out to them (in the designated times to do so). At times it felt like the course was moving at breakneck speed however I felt fully supported throughout and enjoyed every second. I met some amazing people and built lasting relationships with cohort members to take with me into industry.
After the course ended I was amazed by the partnerships team who provided excellent feedback in regards to my applications. The internal hiring system was infinitely more effective (and ultimately rewarding) than spending hours trawling through LinkedIn and other job boards (which I did do and had some success with). The feedback I received on my applications was very insightful and helpful, by the careers team members and coaches alike and led to me receiving an offer from an industry leading company.
The Alumni network was also incredible and I cannot wait to give back to those who enrolled at Makers to change their career/life.
Also I landed a job in a language not formally covered by the course and this is super typical so do not think you will be pigeon holed by the course material.
- It does the job because it gets you a job!- 9/14/2020Anonymous • Test Automation Engineer • Graduate • Course: Remote Web Development • Campus: OnlineI went to Makers so I could get a job as a developer within 5 months - and that happened, even during Covid! For this reason, despite the fact that there were things that certainly could have been better (support from coaches & curriculum), I was still able to achieve my end goal, and will soon be starting at a very famous company - with room to grow and develop and a decent starting salary!
There were certainly some aspects that were infuriating - Makers focus on "self-learning", but the lack of direction from the coaches is frustrating when you've paid to be taught - not to constantly learn independently (which you can do for free). As annoying as this felt, at the end of the course, when you get that job, it's worth it! There are certainly things that could have been better and I'm not sure what the coaches are doing to only be available in the mornings, but to be honest, Makers opens the door to a lot of large companies with BIG names. The career coaching team were epic - the advice before interviews was great, and they were always happy to help. In summary, the experience wasn't what I imagined, but who cares when it leads to a job in coding - in the end of the day, that's what we're here for - and that's what Makers does.
- An enriching learning experience- 7/16/2020Anonymous • Campus: LondonMakers is a great option for those wanting to transition into tech. The 12 week course is fast paced but comprehensive and designed not only to teach you how to code, but how to learn in general.
The hands-off teaching style from the coaches encourages you to be more independent and find answers on your own or reach out for help within your cohort. The careers team are excellent and provide as much support as you require with things like interview prep, improving your CV and even one to one coaching. Overall the Makers staff are super positive and always willing to help.
I highly recommend Makers to anyone willing to put the hard work in, it's totally worth it!
- Anonymous • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: LondonMakers provides a great learning environment for a wide variety of people with the willingness to learn. The ways that they do this are through skills workshops, independent learning time and pairing time. One of the most important aspects being pairing which is an opportunity to sit down and code on a task together with someone else which provides you with a different perspective to coding independently.
The opportunity to work in teams and practice agile methodologies is invaluable as this is what many companies are currently using or moving towards. The coaches are very helpful and open to questions which makes the workshops fun and useful. The culture is one which also aims to promote mental health awareness through daily meditation and regular yoga sessions.
Some problems were with job hunting. Due to the unfortunate circumstances there was quite a lot of reduced support including the removal of the careers fairs. It also didn't help that they added pressure towards job hunters by tightening rulings in the job offer guarantee.
Overall, there were some struggles on the job-hunting side of things due to the unfortunate circumstances of COVID-19 but I really enjoyed the course and it has provided me with invaluable experiences.
- Junior Software Engineer- 4/10/2020Anonymous • Graduate • Course: Web Development • Campus: LondonFast paced and lots of learning so be ready for that, but importantly they facilitate this with a productive and positive environment.
Great coaching, you get out what you put in.
Great careers advice and service... again take advantage of the services and their advice and you'll get a job no problem. They provide support after the course until you get a job you can't put a price on that!