makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

Bristol, Cambridge, London, Manchester

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on a student's passion for becoming a developer by gauging their coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

With one of the UK’s largest careers team dedicated to finding students a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire, including but not limited to: Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco.

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (291) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (21) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

Ruby, Rails, CSS, JavaScript, HTML, Front End, Git, jQuery, Node.js, Sinatra, AngularJS, SQL, React.js
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.
  • Sean Edwards  User Photo
    Sean Edwards • Junior software engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I had an amazing time transitioning from my previous role as a specialist physiotherapist to software engineer. I had looked into a few bootcamps but picked Makers as it had the best reputation when I asked around some people in the industry. I've learnt so much and cannot thank the coaches and team at Makers enough. It is defiantly tough and takes a lot of dedication and drive, but you get out what you put in. I was employed within 4 weeks of finishing and the company actually cited my Makers experience as one of the main reasons, they approached and ultimately hired me. My advice would be become a Maker if you want to work in tech!
  • Learn to learn
    - 4/1/2021
    Kiki Dawson  User Photo
    Kiki Dawson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Wonderful course. The coaches were very supportive even in a remote setting. They seemed to truly care about what we were getting out of the course and our wellbeing.
    I feel more confident not only a developer but as a leader and team member. I've finished with improved communication and research skills and a better sense of myself.
    There was a real focus on how to learn. I thought I was already proficient in this skill but turns out I had a lot of improvements to make - now I feel like I could teach myself any language.
    I would highly recommend this course.
  • Joe Spraggon  User Photo
    Joe Spraggon • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    There are plenty of options when it comes to coding bootcamps! If you're reading this you're probably looking at 5 or more different courses at the same time. I was in the same position last year & I've now finished my Makers experience and feel ready to tackle the software development world!

The focus with Makers is very much about you growing as a student, dev & person and less focused on learning the hottest current language or cramming in absolute maxi different languages over a three month period. This might turn some people off, but for me, as a total beginner, this was perfect!

It can be overwhelming and by no means is the Makers course simple or easy! But with the tools taught and the lessons followed all of a sudden I found myself coding for fun!
  • Chris Whitehouse  User Photo
    Chris Whitehouse • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I am a career changer, so it was with a lot of excitement, but with no little trepidation that I embarked on a software development bootcamp with Makers Academy. I needn't have worried. The course is fantastic. Demanding, challenging, intense, yes. But also incredible. The coaches, are superb, and mindful that they are there to teach students 'how to learn', not 'what to learn'. With this in mind, some of the most powerful takeaways from the course are not just technical, but more profound life lessons; the ability to drive self directed learning, emotional intelligence, and effective team working. This course rewards investment; the more you put in, the more you get out. And bonding, and collaborating with your cohort, is were the real joy is. I undertook this course remotely from Bristol, and thoroughly enjoyed, and felt engaged with the course at all points.

Would recommend.
  • Lisa  User Photo
    Lisa • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    -  The course material is really good and you can always ask for coaches' help when you feel stuck.
    - The course puts a lot of focus on TDD, Agile and Pair Programming,  which are required best practices nowadays.
     - During the course, there are a lot of opportunities to work in teams and review others' code.
     - Chance to do reviews with external company.
    - Makers community is great and alway willing to help.
    - After graduation you can get help with your CV  and you can be advised while preparing to different kinds of interviews.
    - 3/18/2021
    Alex Leeson-Mill  User Photo
    Alex Leeson-Mill • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Had an overall great experience with Makers and would definitely recommend to anyone thinking about switching careers!

Pros:
    - Coaches are excellent support and always try to make themselves available despite difficulties of lockdown and remote working
    - Good experience of pair programming and supporting/mentoring others
    - Access to an industry and like minded people that you would not get self-teaching

Cons:
    - Remote working made it harder and coaches less accessible. Harder to justify the cost of the course as can sometimes feel a bit isolating
  • Alumni
    - 3/17/2021
    Amalia-Diana Palaghia  User Photo
    Amalia-Diana Palaghia • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I have been keeping an eye on Makers Academy for a few years, I subscribed to their newsletter, went to demo days and events at their office. Unfortunately, I could not afford to give up my job and enrol in the full-time course so when the opportunity came to be part of the first part-time cohort, I had to take it!

The application process was easy, I had a phone call interview followed by a pair-progamming session with the future coach, and I was told on the spot that I am in. My cohort was a small one, there were only 5 of us but it worked to our advantage. We were all employed full-time and doing the course for 3 hours in the evening Mon-Thursday, a longer session of 5 hours on Sunday and individual study on Fri-Sat when we usually had projects to finish. It was intense, not only because of the curriculum but because of the schedule as well, we didn't have a lot of time to ourselves and that's why the support that Makers offered was so important. We had wellbeing workshops and our coaches were highly empathic and patient. There were also meditation and yoga sessions that some of my colleagues who were working from home attended regularly - unfortunately, not my case as I had to commute.

The curriculum is interesting, I enjoyed all the projects that I worked on. You get to learn a little bit of everything but the experience is not your usual conventional education. There is a big emphasis on teaching you how to learn for yourself. We were encouraged to do our own research, to learn through practice. If someone wanted to learn another programming language or a different technology, they could do so during the individual learning days. If someone felt like they needed more challenging tasks or exercises to practice outside of our sessions, our coaches were able to provide that. But we could also reach out to them for emotional support.

A month after finishing the course, I have already had an interview and the future looks good! Makers offers job support after finishing the course and I know that if I have any questions, there is someone who can help me. I can honestly say that this experience has changed my life and I am sooo glad that I chose Makers.
  • Chris Wood  User Photo
    Chris Wood • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Pros:
    - The people you meet on the course are fantastic and social life was great
    - Teaches modern software development practices from the ground up such as TDD and Agile
    - The working environment encouraged the fast learning required to change career
    - There was a strong focus on how to do well in tech interviews and loads of practice resources

Cons:
    - Quite expensive, but office location was prime and after course support and business connections were invaluable

Note: I completed the course onsite pre-corona
  • Jacob Cummings  User Photo
    Jacob Cummings • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Coming straight out of a uni course I didn't want to do professionally, I felt lost. I joined onto Makers after a sizable investment, with little idea what to expect beyond having been interviewed by a course coach. I was nervous for the first week, but during the first weekend I came to the conclusion that I was really, seriously learning. The course does a fantastic job of getting you up to speed with not only the tools required to succeed in a tech environment, but also teaching you to learn and motivate yourself. I came out of Makers with my skepticism completely gone and a great developer skillset.

There is a huge amount of support for your money, however, you must actively seek the support out. This is an issue I had with the latter end of the course, as once the teaching had finished I felt that I had, somewhat, been left to figure things out for myself. With no exposure to the professional world of tech, I was unsure of the differences between job descriptions and role requirements. I found what I wanted after much self-motivated research, but I would love to see more structure around the jobseeking portion of the Makers course.

That being said, there is a huge amount provided in both learning and mental health support. I had been told the course would be intense and while it was fast and covered a huge amount, I found that the wellness support provided by the Makers staff went above and beyond in making me feel confident and comfortable.

Makers helped set me on a path and they are very worthy of all praise. As I move into the Makers Alumni part of my experience, I hope that the fantastic support they've shown throughout continues.
  • Kiril Drobysevskij  User Photo
    Kiril Drobysevskij • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Note: I was a part of a remote cohort due to COVID-19.

Pros:
    - The community at Makers is truly amazing and people always go out of their ways to help each other.
    - Job support after graduation is great, there are plenty of workshops for people who are at applying stage or interviewing stage. Sometimes coaches take a while to respond, but I had a positive experience most of the time. I got help with my CV, cover letters and advice on preparing to different kinds of interviews.
    - Almost all of the jobs from the partner scheme were very high quality vacancies that you would want to apply to.
    - This bootcamp puts a lot of focus on industry best practices, such as TDD and Agile - employers value this a lot!
    - At Makers, you learn how to learn. By the time of our final project, I was confident that I could pick up any technology that I need. Some teams even managed to build their final projects in completely new languages and frameworks.
    Cons:
    - The curriculum has some important areas left uncovered, the most obvious one is working with the cloud. I acknowledge that the course is quite intense anyway, but there is a lot of value in going over the basic stuff, as AWS or Azure are listed in every job description nowadays.
    - Makers has little learning material of its own, which makes the value for money of the remote course questionable. I think that you are paying for a platform that connects you with like-minded people (your cohort) and job support, which are probably the most important things if you're a motivated career-switcher. However, 99% of the technical information we used is available online for free. I would appreciate if there were more learning materials, especially about explaining different tools and how to set them up. When youre doing the course remotely, it becomes a lot more difficult to reach out to someone next to you and solve a problem quickly, like you would on-campus.
    - For the majority of the course, you get to work in pairs every day. I really liked pair programming, but I also think that it could be structured in a better way. We would have one big task for the week, but you switch partners every day. If your new pair partner had done less work, you start where they ended. While there are some positive aspects to it, such as consolidating your knowledge by doing something several times, if you're a technically strong student, it will eventually be a frustrating experience repeating the tasks for 8 weeks and never getting far. Personally, I would've liked it better if you had one pair partner per week - this would have made the experience a lot less chaotic, while still getting to work with many different people over the course. For the projects, your team is fixed for the week or two and everyone I talked to liked it that way.
  • Fraser Brookhouse  User Photo
    Fraser Brookhouse • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Signing up to do Makers was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I got stranded in the UK because of coronavirus and lost my job because I couldn't return to China. After some months without work I decided I need to do something, so signed up to start Makers in August. Now 6 months later, and just 2 months after finishing the course, I am about to start the job of my dreams with great pay and an amazing career outlook, I couldn't be happier.

The course was intense, and at times difficult, but the staff are all fantastic people who provided an unmatched level of support. They are all genuinely knowledgable and caring individuals. Both during the course, and after in my job search I have felt totally supported. I would 100% recommend signing up if you are looking for a change.

• Chris Cooney  User Photo
    Chris Cooney • Junior Front End Dev • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overall this was one of the best things I have ever done. I met some amazing people, learned some amazing things, and now just starting my new job as a front-end dev. Short-sighted me sometimes wondered why I was learning a less in-demand language than other Bootcamps,  but now I am working I totally get it. Makers don't teach you syntax, they teach you how to learn and succeed working environment.
    I came into this Bootcamp thinking I would learn how to code and then try and find a job, instead, I learned the importance of testing your code, how to work properly within a team, how to plan effectively, how to transfer my knowledge of one language to another and the list goes on. Whilst I can't recommend this bootcamp enough one thing to note is its very hard work, luckily Makers take a holistic approach to this and care about your mental health.

TLDR: Go for it, it's the best thing I have ever done.