makers-academy-logo

Makers Academy

Bristol, Cambridge, London, Manchester

Makers Academy

Makers Academy is a highly selective 4-month, full-time program (preceded by a four-week pre-course) which teaches web development in London, England. Makers Academy is creating a new generation of tech talent who are skilled and ready for the changing world of work. The academy is inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking potential in people for the benefit of the 21st-century business and society. At the core, Makers combines tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives. The academy accepts only exceptional applicants into the course. And while they are highly selective, they focus on a student's passion for becoming a developer by gauging their coding experience.

The course has been designed by a team of inspirational software engineers with strong backgrounds in educational psychology, enabling students to master any technology in today's marketplace. As big believers in self-directed learning, students will finish the course as a confident and independent software engineer ready to hit the ground running. There's a focus on life-long learning skills, while the course includes technical tests, working on open-source code or even working with the Makers engineering team on live, real-world, production code.

With one of the UK’s largest careers team dedicated to finding students a job after the end of the course, Makers Academy will introduce students to over 250 of London’s top technology companies looking to hire, including but not limited to: Deliveroo, British Gas, Starling Bank, Financial Times, Compare The Market.com, and Tesco.

Recent Makers Academy Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (301) reviews for Makers Academy →

Recent Makers Academy News

Read all (21) articles about Makers Academy →
  • Web Development

Ruby, Rails, CSS, JavaScript, HTML, Front End, Git, jQuery, Node.js, Sinatra, AngularJS, SQL, React.js
    Cost£8,000
    LocationLondon
    The course is designed for everyone, whether a complete novice, a computer science graduate wanting practical experience, or an entrepreneur sick of looking for a technical co-founder. Students learn an incredible amount, including: Ruby on Rails; HTML5 and CSS3; Agile and Lean Development; JavaScript, jQuery and NodeJS; along with Git and Heroku, and software design best practices. Students learn through first hand experience, community-driven classrooms, pairing, and project-based work.
    Deposit£800.00
    Lending partners include PCDL (UK Govt) and EdAid
    Tuition PlansAvailable through 3rd parties
    Scholarship£500 scholarship to any woman attending the course.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe expect people to generally understand what coding is about and have some exposure to trialling simple coding challenges.
    Prep WorkTo prepare for the pairing session with one of our developers, we would ask people to complete some coding exercises at home and then come in for a pairing session.
  • O • Junior Developer • Graduate

Expect to take out four months of your life. This course is absoloutely amazing but it will consume your everything. The PreCourse is a great taster as to what to expect, with numerous Ruby challenges and the bare basics which lay a great foundation for the in house 12 week course. The Coaches are all fantastic, but I will say if you're looking to be spoonfed then Makers is not for you. The majority of the learning is independent, there are group projects along the way but please understand that you must become comfortable with setting your own work plan each day.

The location is perfect and easy to get to, any equipment you need is easily available and Dana (Chief Joy Officer) offers the perfect balance to unwind after a hard day of coding.

If you're looking for a real experience of what to expect as a newbie joining the world of world of tech then Makers is really for you. The Careers Team are a force to be reckoned with. They organise amazing careers talks and are available for talks whenever you need them. In my opinion, this is where the £8000 fee pays off. The advice and knowledge they provide is just fantastic and all the online blogs in the world cannot match them.

However, you still need to be proactive. A job will not just land at your feet.

The curriculum is fast paced so you need to be strict with yourself but also very organised.

Overall, Makers is the only bootcamp in London really worth your time. If you are umming and ahhring about whether to do, be like Nike: Just Do It.

• Marek • Front-End Developer • Graduate

I live in the United States but I attended Makers in July 2018. Makers provided me with the most fun and knowledge-filled experience I have had in my life. The course moves at a fantastic pace - just fast enough to keep you in that magical zone between comfort and panic. Everyone I met at Makers was an absolutely pleasure to get to know which speaks volumes about their selection process. The staff is extremely receptive to suggestions on how to improve the course and it is obvious that the course is improving constantly. Makers provides each student with a fantastic location and sense of family both throughout the course and after - allowing for continued 'post-course' direction from both coaches and the career team, as well as a great network of alumni and events to attend. I was quite sad to have to leave back to the United States after graduating, and was a bit nervous that the Makers reputation would not carry over to my local companies, but I received an interview within the first week of applying as well as multiple others that I had to cancel after getting a great offer from the very first company. I'm beyond impressed with Makers and the results I have witnessed since attending and I would recommend this course to anyone willing to make an effort to change their lives.

• Agnes • Junior Developer • Graduate

Makers Academy is the place to be if you want to bring change into your life. It does not matter where you have come from if you are committed and determined you will achieve your goals. I was surrounded by wonderful, motivated people from different walks of life but Makers also attracts like-minded people when it comes to persistence, work ethic, and open-mindedness. The curriculum was very hard sometimes, and I strongly recommend reading blog posts about the experience because it is a very intense course. The weekly and weekend challenges were diverse and they were regularly updated based on feedback from previous cohorts. We were introduced to quite a few technologies as well as encouraged to look into things interesting to us. The coaches are great and very helpful but the students need to know when to ask for help. This is a skill that's worth practicing during the course. Other than showing us the best practices for coding, this boot camp also stands out because of its fantastic emotional intelligence curriculum, daily meditation and twice a week yoga session. After finishing the course, the careers team supported me all the way to make sure I was ready for the interviews. Their optimism and energy inspired me every day, and they worked really hard to find the places that are perfect fits for juniors.

• Magyar-Hunor Tamas • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

I can not tell anything else than if you want to become a Software Developer then there is no better solution than Makers Academy.

The course is tough, but the methodologies, the principles and techniques you learn during the course are in the highest demand on the market at the moment. They also keep the curriculum updated to demands.
    I had such an amazing 14 weeks with makers ( course on site + jobhunt ) and I can only recommend it.
    I've learnt a lot about myself thanks to their Chief Joy Officer, Dana, whose curriculum about Emotional Intelligence taught us for example how to be kind to ourself so that we can push to our really bests.
    The onboarding team, the careers team, the whole Makers staff and of course all the students are amazing poeple. I've made friends for life here and I'd be more than happy to life my life just coming back and doing the course over and over.

I can not say anything else than thanks for changing my life, thanks for helping me become a Software Developer and thanks for bringing such a big value to people.

If anybody wants to reach out for any questions, I am more than happy to answer, find me on LinkedIn or twitter.

• Lucas Salmins • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate

If you're looking for some solid coding skills and access to a new career path, Makers is the place for you. The monumental task of squeezing huge amounts of base knowledge for web development is expertly managed in the 3-month window, leaving graduates with a solid foundation to build on in a web development career. Learning how to learn is the name of the game.  I couldn't recommend it more

• Tom Spencer • Junior Developer • Graduate

This is an excellent bootcamp. The course is highly selective so you get to train with an excellent cohort of students who are driven and ambitious. The tutors are supportive and although you learn to work independently you are carefully guided if you experience any more intransigent coding issues. I am absolutely thrilled that I was able to experience this course and it is no exaggeration to say that completing the course has changed my career opportunities. The career support at the end of the course is outstanding and after graduation you automatically become part of a close community of coders who are leading the way in coding in the UK. My advice: Sign up now! You will not regret it!!

• Suze • Graduate
    My time at makers academy was a truly life changing experience of learning new skills, how to think about programming and learning new technologies, and forming new relationships while becoming embedded in a new industry. I cannot recommend it enough, both in terms of a rigorous curriculum and an excellent educational philosophy that offers personalised support throughout the course and after graduation
  • Will Schwier • Junior software engineer • Graduate

Makers academy was an amazing place and environment to learn how to code. The sense of community right from the start of the pre-course is incredible, with your cohort and the Makers community as a whole.

The course itself not only teaches you syntax and certain languages, but also how to teach yourself. This makes picking up new languages and technologies much easier. The methodologies taught, agile and XP, are invaluable in the real world and very sought after.

The careers team were so helpful in finding a job. Any issues or questions I had they were more than happy to help me.

• James S • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

I joined Makers Academy in September 2017 on their immersive coding bootcamp. There was an initial interview process to assess eligibility to the course with a basic technical interview. The first month was a 20 hour per week remote precourse which set the level of understanding needed to progress to the full course.

Our class of 17 students were tutored for around 2 hours per day at the start of the course with afternoons reserved for challenges we worked on in pairs, aimed at cementing the knowledge gained in the morning workshops. This combination of traditional classroom and challenge based learning led to an excellent understanding of test driven, agile software development fundamentals and also promoted solid self learning principles.

Students at Makers get to enjoy a lot of comforts including a fully stocked kitchen, daily guided mediation sessions and yoga classes. Everything is there to be enjoyed and there is no pressure to take part if it's not your thing.

After the 4 months spent with Makers Academy I was able to successfully land my first job within a week. My time there had fully prepared me for the reality of making the career change into software development and the careers team were on hand to help with the transition in the build up to leaving.

I would fully recommend Makers to anyone who's considering making the move into development. It can be daunting to take the leap but it's the experience of a lifetime for those who take the risk.

• Veni Vidi Vici
    - 11/14/2017
    Alessio • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

Makers lived up to their promise and exceeded my expectations.

I built the product I had always dreamt of, met a bunch of great people, been welcomed everywhere thanks to their great reputation, and got a job within 8 days from finishing the course! What's not to like? Alessio

• Remote graduate
    - 10/20/2017
    James Turner • Graduate

I have only had the opportunity to attend a single coding Bootcamp, I'm glad it was Makers Academy.

The most impressive part of the course for me, besides the excellent coaching and learning environment, is the post-course support team! they worked tirelessly for as long as it took to get me lots of job Leads both with the massive selection of hiring partners they've built up and helped me improve my interview skills and methods.

The main reason I went to makers over other any similar boot camps is the quality of the post-course support.

• Great experience
    - 10/10/2017
    Alison • Associate Engineer • Graduate

I had a great experience at Makers Academy! It's very intensive and you get to learn a huge amount over 4 months. I'd recommend it to people looking to transition into software development - the course was very focussed on teaching skills that would be beneficial in that environment and ultimately helping you to get a job as a developer. That said, the process of getting to that point was really fun, the coaches were supportive and excited to transfer their knowledge, and I only started to be encouraged to think about jobs about 6 weeks from the end of the course.