ut-austin-boot-camps-logo

UT Austin Boot Camps

Austin, Austin, Houston

UT Austin Boot Camps

UT Austin Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses, 24-week, part-time data analytics, UX/UI, and cybersecurity courses, and 18-week, part-time digital marketing and project management courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The UX/UI program provides hands-on training in user-centric design research, design thinking, visual prototyping and wireframing, interface design, storyboarding, visual design theory, web prototyping with HTML5 and CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The digital marketing curriculum covers highly relevant skills, training students in marketing strategy fundamentals, optimizing campaigns and websites, digital advertising and automation strategy, and more. Students will get hands-on experience with tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook Ads Manager, and Wordpress.

The product management curriculum teaches in-demand product management skills, starting with the essentials. Learners will master the tools to set themselves apart and deliver great products via roadmap development, backlog management, product life cycle management, A/B testing, and data analysis.

The boot camp curricula are designed with the most in-demand market needs in mind. The school empowers expert instructors and TAs to deliver a dynamic learning experience. Students will enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the bootcamps are part-time, they are designed for working professionals and learners who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and 1:1 career coaching. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Texas at Austin’s Center for Professional Education and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data analytics and visualization, UX/UI Design, Cybersecurity, Digital Marketing, or Product Management.

UT Austin Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UT Austin Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (59) reviews for UT Austin Boot Camps →

Recent UT Austin Boot Camps News

Read all (8) articles about UT Austin Boot Camps →
  • Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationAustin
    The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UT Austin is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
    Tuition PlansPayment plan available
  • Data Analysis and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationAustin
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
    Payment plans available
  • Digital Marketing - Part-Time

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Wordpress, SEO
    LocationAustin
    The Digital Marketing Boot Camp at Texas McCombs is a challenging, part-time digital marketing boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in marketing strategy, campaign development, digital advertising, and modern tools in site analytics and reporting. Gain experience with in-demand tools and technologies such as Google Ads, Google Analytics, Facebook Ads Manager, Wordpress, and more, while also advancing campaign analysis technical skills.
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationAustin
    The Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin is a 12-week, full-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Full Stack Web Development - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationAustin
    The Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Product Management - Part-Time

LocationAustin
    Gain in-demand product management skills like market analysis, value proposition creation, roadmap development, rapid prototyping, SQL, and data visualization. Through hands-on training, learn how to define a target audience, communicate with stakeholders, write effective user stories, build wireframes, and more.
    Payment plans available
  • UX/UI Boot Camp - Part-Time

HTML, Git, JavaScript, User Experience Design, CSS
    LocationAustin
    Get hands-on training and instruction in UX/UI design methodology, design software skills, front end web prototyping technologies and frameworks including HTML/CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more. Maintain your current schedule by studying part-time, and apply what you’ve learned toward building a comprehensive portfolio of projects ranging from AI sketches to mobile-responsive web layouts.

• $500 UT Austin Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UT Austin Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Web Development - Part-Time (Austin)
    • Digital Marketing - Part-Time (Austin)
    • All courses in Houston
    • UX/UI Boot Camp - Part-Time (Austin)
    • All courses in Austin
    • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time (Austin)
    • All courses in Austin
    • Data Analysis and Visualization - Part-Time (Austin)
    • Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Austin)
  • Highly Recommend
    - 10/18/2016
    Jimmie Jackson • Web Developer • Graduate

ABOUT ME: Just to put my experience into perspective, I came from a varied background in sales, freelance photography and videography. I loathed going into my sales job every day and wanted a career change but wasn't exactly sure how to go about it or what direction to head. I randomly came across a bootcamp, and was intrigued at the idea. Become a web developer in 24 weeks? I had taken a basic HTML/CSS class in college several years ago, and while I certainly enjoyed it, that sounds a little too good to be true. My options were to either go back to school through UT or ACC, or look more into a bootcamp, weighing the pros and cons of each. Once I decided this was certainly the direction I wanted to head, I started researching local bootcamps more in-depth, of which several exist. The Coding Bootcamp at UT Austin checked off every box I was looking for: part-time so that I could continue to work a full-time job, career services, a reasonable price, and it was backed by the UT name.

INTERVIEW: After applying, I went through a couple of phone interviews. I was asked about my background, why I want to get into coding, and was asked to solve a couple of fairly difficult problem-solving questions. Honestly, I feel like I barely made the cut. After two phone interviews though, I was accepted!

CURRICULUM: Starting out, we learned the basics: HTML, CSS, and Javascript. The overall curriculum focused on the MERN stack (MongoDB, Express, React, Node.js). Over the course of 6 months, we learned all sorts of other frameworks, libraries and languages too, such as Bootstrap, jQuery, and MySQL. We briefly touched on a few languages such as PHP, Ruby, and Python. The only reason I gave the curriculum a 4 star rating is because I thought we should have focused more on React and PHP, and become more "specialized" in a few areas as opposed to knowing a little about a lot. We were the very first cohort however, and their material will become even more focused and streamlined I feel as more people go through the course. I am extremely impressed at how flexible the curriculum is. It's all based on what the local companies are hiring for, and the whole team has a fantastic sense of what those are.

CLASS: One of the things I liked most about participating in a bootcamp was just how diverse the other students are. Almost everybody is there for the same reason: a career change. I believe that because of our varied backgrounds, bootcamp grads have a more well-rounded approach to development and can draw from past experiences in other fields to help achieve goals and work on teams with other developers. My background in sales has certainly helped me, whether I like to admit it or not. Just to give you an idea of how diverse my cohort was... we had a former opera singer, a Spanish teacher, a skee ball champion, an American Sign Language interpretor, a warehouse salesman... the list goes on.

INSTRUCTORS/TA's: I was in the Monday/Wednesday class taught by Jim McCoy, with Holly Springsteen and Rob Daly. Jim really made the course for me. He is hilarious in a no-filter kind of way, extremely intelligent and definitely cares about seeing us succeed. Holly and Rob gave up a lot of their evenings and weekends for 6 months to see us succeed, and they are equally as intelligent and helpful. I firmly believe that all of their effort was crucial to our success as a class.

CAREER SERVICES: Jeremy Bergeron and Candace Salim are the two I'm most familiar with behind Career Services, but I'm sure there were several other people behind-the-scenes that did a ton of work for us as well. Jeremy is a great guy, and his passion for landing us jobs is obvious. They helped us in optimizing resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and interview techniques, and would usually bring in a speaker each Saturday to talk about various topics. One of the best things we did was mock interviews with employees from local well-known companies, followed up by a panel discussion. I used a few of the interview techniques we talked about that day, and I strongly believe that because of the things I learned then, I was able to actually receive an offer and accept it - on my very first tech interview! The dev team I interviewed with was super impressed by the questions I asked and how well I handled the whiteboard interview, and the entire team behind this bootcamp was essential to that experience.

OTHER: The pace of the class was sometimes too fast, but it's because there's SO much material that could be covered. They constantly asked for feedback from us, and would often adjust the pace based on how we responded. Aside from the pace, one important thing I discovered is that with a lot of companies, there is a sort of stigma surrounding bootcamp graduates. What I mean by that, is that a lot of people will enter a bootcamp just for the sake of making more money. While that part is great, you have to be able to convey that you actually enjoy coding. One way of doing that is by delving into passion projects on the side or learning new technologies just for the sake of learning. I did that as much as my schedule would allow, and I believe it was ultimately another reason I was able to land a job with a great company.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE: I was fortunate to be one of the students who got accepted into a full-time web developer role before graduation, and I can't thank the people behind The Coding Bootcamp enough. I'm now not dreading going in to work, I am doing work that I actually enjoy with awesome and intelligent coworkers, and making more money than ever on top of that. As long as you go in with realistic expectations, you understand your strengths and weaknesses as a student, and have an actual passion for coding, I believe that the curriculum and staff behind The Coding Bootcamp at UT Austin will almost certainly land you a new job.

Thursday, Oct 20 2016
    Jimmie - it has been an absolutely pleasure watching you learn and grow and we could not be more proud of your success. Thank you for your detailed review. It made everyone's day! Wishing you all the best, Jimmie.
  • Adam Camacho • Graduate

Here's the TLDR, I would absolutely recommend attending this boot camp, with the caveat that you have to be realistic about time management. If you don't have to work while you attend, or if you work but have minimal commitments to loved ones, then you can get tremendous value from this boot camp, more than many college degrees would yield. If, on the other hand, you have to work a full time job and have kids or a significant other competing for your attention, then you may not get as much value out of the course. Just be honest with yourself, but if you have the time, this course is a phenomenal investment.

Here's the full review.

About Me: I had been teaching myself to code on and off for almost two years before starting the boot camp, and as soon as I heard of it, which was a day or two after it was launched, I applied and was accepted. The prior coding experience I had due to my self-study was tremendously helpful, so I would advise you to have as much self-study as possible before applying, but it is definitely not necessary to succeed, as several of the students that have already landed jobs did not have prior self study. Today was the last day of class and I'm glad to say that the future looks very bright.

Overall Experience: I felt privileged to attend the boot camp with the folks that I was lucky enough to have as my classmates. It seemed like everyone in the class, including the TA's and the instructor, had an interesting story and was an overachiever in one way or another. We had a Fulbright Scholar, a CPA, and a national skee ball champ, just for starters. It was an eclectic bunch and I'm really thankful to have met these folks and gotten to work with them. I'm actually quite curious as to what they'll be investing their energies into in 5 or 10 years.

Instructors: The instructor and the TA's for the course were great, they all really knew their stuff. Also, they always arrived early to class and left late, so we had a ton of time to pick their brains on anything. They were always available for me to reach out to, not only on class content, but also on bigger-picture topics like career advice, and I really appreciated that. All my instructors actually worked full time jobs as web developers in addition to their roles in the boot camp, so they had their fingers on the pulse of the web development scene in Austin. They're really good people...it's hard to convey this, but it's more than a job to them. For reference, I was in the Tuesday/Thursday class with Roger Le as the instructor and Jedd Fenner, Josh Madewell, and Allen Wes as the TA's, but on Saturdays the classes joined together into one large class, and I was lucky to have Holly Springsteen and Rob Daly as TA's then as well. For brevity's sake, I'll just say that if you get the chance to learn under any of these folks, rest assured that you're in good hands.

Curriculum: The curriculum is focused on the MERN stack, for which there's a strong market in Austin right now, but it's very flexible to the market's needs, and changes were made to the course's curriculum as we were going through it. When you think about that, it's really amazing, no college course I've ever been to has been responsive in real-time to the needs of the market, and that's one of the things that sets this course apart from a college course. Through this course, in addition to learning web development, you'll also become extremely confident in your ability to learn anything, which is an invaluable skill in today's economy as it allows you to chart your own path.

Job Assistance: This boot camp does not come with a job guarantee. That said, several students landed well-paying jobs before we even graduated. Two girls landed what could be described as their respective dream jobs. For the most part, career services consists of help with polishing up your resume and cover letter, introductions here and there based on your interests and background, and requiring you to apply to a certain amount of jobs per week once the course finishes. We also have industry speakers come to class on Saturday mornings and share what it's like to work at their companies. I started the application process about a week ago and I already had an interview, which I can directly attribute to my cover letter, resume, and my portfolio and the contents thereof, all of which have been substantially improved due to my having attended the boot camp and my having taken advantage of career services. I'll say this, having completed the boot camp, as I read job descriptions I find myself reading requirements and thinking, "Hey, I can do that!" And if I can't do that, I think, "Hey, I can learn that!" It's pretty swell.

I hope this helped you make a more informed decision, and if you have the time to invest into yourself, don't hesitate, enroll in the course!

Wednesday, Oct 12 2016
    Thanks, Adam! Your thoughtful and detailed review is much appreciated and will be very helpful to prospective bootcamp students. Our entire staff - Instructors, TAs, Student Success Managers like myself and Career Directors - are all so passionate about education and changing the lives of others. We love hearing that you feel that way. We're wishing you all the best in your interviews and know you'll land somewhere awesome.
  • LM • Applicant

I got called by a very long-winded 'Admissions Advisor' for this program, 1st time during work hours at my job so I asked him to call me back the next day. The time we had agreed upon came and went, so I started playing a chess game online thinking he was not going to call. He ended up calling and asking me if I had time to chat (no indication this was any kind of formal interview) so I told him I did, although I was a bit distracted due to my game. He asked if I had any questions, so I asked a series of questions over a 10-15 minute period about the curriculum, admissions requirements, coding languages covered, placement rates for graduates getting hired, coursework, program cost, etc. For some reason about 15 minutes into the conversation he seemed to think that I was having 'doubts' about the program (I never expressed doubts). At this point I had asked all my immediate questions -- and also was a little thrown off by the fact that he kept raising 'doubts' -- so I asked him whether he could just please send me the application and allow me to send further questions via email. Then I asked if he had any questions for me.

Up to now he had asked ZERO questions about my own background. He told me that based on our conversation, which he referred to as a 'screening interview' despite no hint of this in his introduction and a total lack of him interviewing me, he thought that I "did not have the temperament, personality or background for the program" (he still at this point knows nothing about me, other than my name and that I am female, and based on the qualifications he listed I would think I'd be quite competitive; I have a masters from a top 20 university, a strong background in analytical courses and enjoy what coding I've done) but basically seemed to be trying to shame me for being distracted at the start of the call HE was late for. On top of all this, he had the mannerisms and ennunciations of an 80s car salesman throughout the call, making me feel uncomfortably as though he was trying to sell me something, and throwing into doubt the legitimacy of the program for me until I read the reviews online. And as the icing on the cake, for all this I had to resign a rated chess game on my account. I can't speak to the quality of this course and I'm sure the actual classes are great, but this really threw a sour note on my perception of it.

Response From: The Coding Bootcamp at UT Austin of UT Austin Boot Camps
    Title: Admissions
    Tuesday, Nov 15 2016
    We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our team.  On rare occasions a call to discuss the program with applicants runs longer than anticipated, forcing the adjacent appointment to be slightly delayed. These initial calls are an important part of the admissions process and are designed to both discuss the program and determine initial fit. They usually last 30 minutes or so. We truly apologize for the 10-15 minute delay.

The Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin is a 24 week program with an intense curriculum designed to educate students on coding languages such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery and Node.js, Laravel, MySQL and MongoDB.

Learning to code in 6 months requires an incredible amount of determination and hard work. The entire team at The Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin is committed to both delivering a top notch education as well as helping our students change their careers through our program. We can only be successful in this commitment if we are extremely selective in our admissions process. Having students work together on challenging projects and participating in a shared classroom environment is an important aspect of the experience.

We understand that life is fast paced and it honestly sounds like the scheduled call was not an ideal time for you.  We would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you again, providing you with additional information about the The Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin experience. Most importantly, we really want to learn more about you. In the meantime, we wish you all the best and hope to hear from you soon.

• James B. • Technical Support for a popular mobile app • Student

As with many of these reviews I will certainly follow up once the course is over. We are currently in week 18.

I can't speak for other students in the class but I can tell you my story. I started this course with no web development knowledge at all. I spent a couple of hours on freecodecamp before starting this course and I have watched online courses like Harvard's CS50 but I didn't know where to start when putting together even the most basic website.

I found that this course has walked me through the most basic first baby steps of web development and then rapidly given me the tools and explained how to use some more advanced concepts to create real, practical, modern websites. I learned more in the past 4 months than my entire 4 years as a student at UT.

The first month of the class was spent learning HTML, CSS, Bootstrap and the basics to create the front-end of a website. Towards the end of that month and into the next month we dived into Javascript, jQuery, API's and some lesser known database tools (Firebase). After learning how to build a responsive front-end we moved towards Nodejs, MySQL and Express. We just started learning MongoDB this week.

Instructors in the course have been excellent. We have had guest instructors occasionally and I have noticed they have been testing the waters with these guest instructors to see if they would be able to handle the job as instructors for their own cohorts. I have seen a few guest instructors end up as instructors of their own cohorts and one of our TA's was promoted to instructor for his own class as well (well deserved).

I've seen other reviews on this website that question the effectiveness of certain instructors but as a student in the Tues/Thurs class I can say our instructor has been extremely effective and I've enjoyed every minute. The instructor from the Mon/Wed class seems to be skilled in teaching his class as well and when he has hosted the combined class on Saturday I've found his sense of humor to be top-notch.

Regarding other expressed concerns on this site about the availability of instructors, I feel like their availability is on par with my expectations. From applying to this course to going through the interview to the first day in class the expectation was set that this course relies on self motivation. These instructors and TA's can guide us and teach us and they'll be there along the way to walk us through but 99.99% of learning is going to come from putting in the time and effort. The TA's and instructors have been available when I need them and stay behind after class for hours as well as offer office hours throughout the week to come to them when we have problems. It's true that most of the staff is employed full time outside of this course but it hasn't restricted my access to them. When reading reviews on this website please know the expressed concerns by other reviewers over staff availability has been greatly exaggerated.

Throughout the course we have been asked to provide feedback through weekly surveys. I provide this feedback but not to the detail that I am expressing on this website. I felt compelled to write a review because it's important that any potential students understand what they can expect from this course. Biased reviews by students that aren't placing 100% effort into the course should not prevent aspiring programmers from jumping on this opportunity. This was the best career decision I have ever made.

Tuesday, Aug 23 2016
    Thank you for your review, James. I shared this with the team and it made everyone's day. Our Academic Team and Instructors work tirelessly to provide engaging material that gives our students the tools needed to launch their careers in web development. We are so happy to hear that your experience has been such a positive one. Wishing you the best of luck in these last few weeks of the program!
  • Michael Desantis • Student

DISCLAIMER : This review is not final. I'll be returning upon completion of the course to provide a more complete feedback.

At the time of this review, we are currently halfway through the course.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE : Thus far, the bootcamp has been great! The course structure is built and designed as such to allow someone to have a full-time job whilst studying this course. Many other bootcamps are structured in a fully-immersive format. Had this bootcamp been fully-immersive and required me to quit my job I would not have signed up for it.

Currently, the vast majority of classes are being held at the Norris Conference Center off of Anderson Lane. While I have no complaints about the facility, I do wish they would have kept it at the Joe C. Thompson building on UT campus.

Being that this is class zero, I fully expected there to be minor issues and/or changes along the way.

CURRICULUM : The curriculum is, for the most part, fantastic. I do like how a curriculum change was made in the beginning of the course to replace Angular.js with React.js due to shifts in market demand as well as the fact that Angular was/is in development for a complete re-write for version 2.0.

That said, on more than one occasion they have had to combine two or more days worth of classes into a single day. This accelerates the learning curve to a point where you can have trouble grasping the concepts, execution, syntax, usages, and limitations of a given technology or method. This coming from myself, after having spent 15 months prior to this class self-teaching myself web development through various online resources. I can only imagine how lost some of the other students might feel if they've had no prior exposure to coding or web development.

Throughout the earlier portions of the class, I've had a lot of students ask me for help with the weekly homework/class assignments. Due to the pace of the class, many if not all of the students spend more hours studying outside of the classroom then inside of it. I guarantee you will fail this class if you limit your study hours to classroom only.

INSTRUCTORS : I wish I could rate this as a 6 out of 5 for the Monday/Wednesday instructors. I feel in part that the mixed reviews may be due to the different teaching methods and styles of the Tuesday/Thursday instructors. I'm in the Monday/Wednesday group, and as such will refrain from commenting on the teaching styles and methods of the Tuesday/Thursday instructors.

Our first instructor is Jim McCoy. He's been involved in web development since 2007 if I recall correctly. His sense of humor carries over into his teaching style, and I find his lectures easy to follow along with. He'll freely admit when there's a method or concept he's unfamiliar with or a question that he feels he can't provide a satisfactory answer for.

Our second instructor is Holly Springsteen. Involved in all things web dev since 2011 or so (Again, going purely off of memory.). Her teaching style is succinct, concise, brief, and to-the-point. Which works great when class time is limited and you have a lot of curious students asking questions to which detailed answers could take hours. She knows when to hand you off to google and when to sit you down in front of a whiteboard for a lengthy eplanation.

Our third instructor is Rob Daly: He graduated from a bootcamp himself sometime within the past 2 years. And as such, has a firsthand knowledge of challenges and/or concerns the students have. The opposite of Holly when it comes to questions. I once asked him a single question about the React.js library, which resulted in him spending 15 minutes going over the entire lifecycle of data in React.js.

I could not have asked for better instructors.

JOB ASSISTANCE : Job placement is not guaranteed upon completion of this course. Nor for that matter, is the job assistance itself. You are required to maintain a 90% percentage in class attendance and homework submissions(Miss 3 homework assingnments within the 6 months of course material and they are under no obligation to provide job assistance).

That being said, Jeremy Bergerson our Career Director and Candace Salim our Student Success Manager have been doing an excellent job. We have guest speakers from various companies all at least partially involved in Web Development almost every Saturday. Some of the companies who have had a representative or speaker attend one of the Saturday classes thus far include IMB, HomeAway, JustOnePay, StackOverflow, Help.com, and Data.World. (I'm sure there were a few more that I've neglected to mention.)

Job assistance has not been a major focus of the course thus far. (remember, we still have 12 more weeks.) I'll have to touch back on this in another 12 weeks.

I'll be back.

Monday, Jul 11 2016
    Hi Michael! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review and for your honest feedback. It's incredible that you have taken your time to help other students. That's EXACTLY the type of team environment we try to foster in the classroom and it makes us so happy to see you assisting your peers.

We place such high importance on instructor selection since it is absolutely key to the success of our program. The instructors really put their hearts into what they teach, and take such pride in knowing that they are facilitating a huge amount of learning that will ultimately allow our students to change their careers and lives for the better. The fact that you have had such a positive experience tells us we're doing exactly what we set out to do here.

Job assistance content will ramp up this month as you get further into the program. You'll have have Google coming in for resumes, Modernize coming in for mock interviews and help with LinkedIn, 30 second pitches and other job needs from Jeremy. July is going to be a really helpful month on that front.

Also, you are absolutely right that this course requires time outside the classroom to maximize the experience. It is a rigorous program and must be treated as such. You have done just that! To become an awesome web developer you need to put in the hard work. From what we've seen, you have set yourself up for some serious success.

Looking forward to helping you through the completion of this program, seeing where you land and hearing from you for updated feedback.
  • Lisa Battle

Hello everyone!

I am a student in the 10th week of UT Coding Bootcamp - I love it so far, here's why:

1. I really like my instructor, Jim McCoy, he makes learning fun, and keeps the class engaged with humor. He explains concepts so well that those with little experience (me!) can still grasp the complicated subject matter. The teacher for the other class, Roger Le, is also a super knowledgable, helpful academic staff member.

2. They teach us real world application building using best in class tools like: git, github, sublime text, heroku, ghpages, and more.

3. My classmates are super involved, sharing cool tools we find on our own, and going above and beyond coursework requirements to learn as much as possible.

4. I enjoy learning how to learn as a developer through extensive google searching. You kind of wonder, why am I paying you so much money to learn how to google? But in reality, this is what you'll be doing at work - and it's surprising how satisfying it is to figure out how to ask a question appropriately.

5. The TAs I've interacted with: Holly, Rob, & Josh - all top quality. They'll help you understand key concepts, but won't hold your hand through the process so you learn how to learn on your own next time.

6. Career director JB is amazing. He develops relationships with companies & individuals and delivers quality speakers, networking opportunities, and real world advice for finding a job after the program. I have been supremely impressed with his dedication.

7. Last but not least - it's part time. I can keep my job, (and keep my bills at bay...) while learning at night & on the weekends.

I tried self study on sites like: codeacademy, team treehouse, and codeschool before enrolling in this course. My learning has accelerated tremendously since entering this class.

We're only 10 weeks in, and I am already comfortable with a wide variety of technologies like: CSS, HTML, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, API research & integration, Heroku, Git, Github, etc.

In conclusion I would just like to say that it is not easy. You will have to dedicate large amounts of time outside of the class to study & learn on your own.

If you aren't prepared to come early, stay late, and always be coding - I wouldn't recommend it. But if you are ready to take the plunge, this is a great pool to dive into.

Good luck :)

-Lisa

Response From: Sara Wiles of UT Austin Boot Camps
    Title: Operations Coordinator
    Tuesday, Jul 05 2016
    Thanks Lisa! We really appreciate all of the time you put into this review, and into the Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin. We can't wait to see where you land!
    I learned valuable information in this course that I could use in a real-world setting. We used what we learned in the class and applied it to numerous assignments versus memorizing material and being graded, which helped significantly retain what I learned.

The Instructor and TAs selected to lead this course couldn't have been better. Their backgrounds tied in well and provided different avenues of digital marketing. They offered lots of great resources to reinforce the course material. And if they didn't know the answer to the questions, they would research an answer.
    Response From: Boot Camp Team of UT Austin Boot Camps
    Title: Community Team
    Friday, Jan 15 2021
    Amazing! We're thrilled you successfully learned the fundamentals of digital marketing and gained real-world experience. Our entire team strives to enable student success, so it's great to hear this resonated with you and that you truly benefited from their ongoing support. Thank you for your review and best of luck moving forward!

The overall program is very good – I have gained a tremendous amount of new information and skills; my projects were well rated – I believe it was excellent achievements.

I would like to thank – the excellent instructors and the TA community and all the program staff.  All Very helpful and trying to make life easy!

The reason I came back to write a review, I used this website to make my decision to attend this program. I feel now I am responsible to write about my experience. I hope you find this good for both the school and the future students.

Please do not take me wrong – the course is good but I believe few things need improvements: -

The program covers a lot in a short time – in many cases just high-level exposure is presented!

The program needs to focus more on the analytical side than the web dev side.

The program for example uses time (full one week) to teach basics of MS-excel in the beginning of the course – which is not necessary (and could be done as a homework assignment if students need it) and instead the time could be invested to make other subjects stronger.

The program, for one week, covers R Lang– which is not enough and no time for R in this class and we did not use it to do real analytics – Python, which is good and well presented in the program, was the main programing language– So, instead this part, the R Lang part, should be eliminated and the week should be given to make other parts of the course more stronger e.g. machine learning or even the JavaS etc..

Carto is an example of something needs to be eliminated no need for that.

3 group projects are way too much – I think one or max 2 group projects are more than enough!

Some people benefit from group projects some DONT – instead, the time of at least one group project should be given to students to choose to make a standalone – projects or more real-life examples to strengthen the skills covered in classes.

The program focuses more on the tools and skills rather than the real analytics – for example the program does not cover enough statistics or very little! The class should focuses more on getting information from data..

Finally, the program promised:

Access to prospective employers – but I have not seen that or very little.

Also promised industry projects but I have not seen that as well or very little.

The career services are very conventional – just the normal stuff e.g. resume, interview techs etc...

You are on your own in finding a job

Please take the above as a positive feedback for future improvements! And a sound decision to attend the class

Overall Thanks for the help, and I believe it is was a good step from my side towards a data analytics career

Wednesday, Apr 11 2018
    Hi Anonymous, thank you for sharing your experience and writing such a detailed review! We would like to first congratulate you on graduating and completing the boot camp. We're so glad to hear that you found our team of instructors and TAs to be skilled and helpful on your journey throughout the program. We admire our staff and advisors; they truly love what they do, helping students learn new skills.

As you noted, this program is a boot camp and was designed to cover a great deal of knowledge in a limited amount of time. Rather than spending extended periods of time on one particular language or technology, we pride ourselves on teaching students how to learn, by giving them key foundational skills and a high-level understanding of a variety of topics. By equipping students with the necessary foundation, they are prepared to continue expanding their knowledge outside of class and learn new topics more quickly on their own even after the program ends. We do understand wanting to have spent more time on Machine Learning, JavaScript, or other topics, and we appreciate you sharing this with us, as we take student feedback very seriously. The topics currently covered in our curriculum are meant to touch on the key, overarching skills for data analytics, and we use market research and input from industry employers to continually improve on it and make sure we are teaching the skills that students need.

In regard to the number of group projects involved throughout the program, we strongly encourage group collaboration in order to promote teamwork as well as decision-making within a group setting. Our curriculum aims to help students solve complex real-life problems, and these group projects are a reflection of what individuals will experience in future tech roles. In any workplace, you might be asked to participate in various group assignments on more than one occasion, and we are ensuring that students are prepared to thrive in that type of environment.

We regret to hear that our career support services were not what you were looking for. We strive to set clear expectations about our career services, letting students know that while we do not secure direct employment, our philosophy is built on empowering students with the key, foundational skills needed to not only enter the job market but to sustain them throughout their professional careers for years to come. Like you mentioned, our immediate career services include resume support and technical interview training, and also 1:1 coaching, virtual tech panels, portfolio reviews, social media profile support, and more.

We want all of our students to feel prepared as they start the job search, and we would love to provide you with any additional career planning assistance or academic materials you need at this time. Please contact me directly at (512) 308-3584, so we can discuss how to best equip you for success going forward. You’ve provided some good insights into the classroom experience and curricula feedback, and we truly appreciate your honesty. We’re cheering you on and wish you nothing but the best!
  • Save your money!
    - 7/11/2017
    Anonymous • Still Unemployed • Graduate

Did I really just pay 10K for a review class? Because that's exactly what it seems like.

This is an honest review: SAVE YOUR MONEY! Apologies in advance for the poor formatting!

Teaching:
    The teacher is less a teacher and more of a ~facilitator. Facilitator in the sense that he was doing less teaching and more facilitating of slides/ giving out assignments. The guidance was sub-par, to say the least.

-Often times the teacher wouldn’t show up on time for class when us students were out with our computers open ready to learn. How can you expect us students to come ready on time to learn and the professor shows up late… I mean that's totally demotivating.

-The teacher would rush through demos and not explain the solutions in depth or at all for that matter! When asked a question he barely knew the information himself, I might add that the TA seemed to know a bunch more than the teacher himself and also seemed to put in much more effort in supporting struggling students.

For example, When a student asked a question the teacher would often stumble to find an answer and say he’s gonna get back to you at a later point with the answer but rarely have I ever seen him follow up with an answer, he just doesn’t get back to you…. that shows lack of initiative and lack of care.

Above all, I felt as though the teacher failed to show genuine care as to helping us master these skills. It seemed as though he was just rushing through demos and examples without full in-depth explanations.

Class:

There are a lot of days when the whole class was us choosing a group to work with and working on one problem the whole day, not going over it until the last 20 minutes of class or even the next day! From my calculations, we are paying a couple hundred bucks a day for class… I understand working with others is a skill to develop but I didn’t get much out of this.. especially when the correct ways to do things/ the answers are not properly gone over with in-depth explanations/ adequate time... I felt like I was paying to get assigned a coding problem and then just solve it with classmates who didn’t know much more then I did so we didn’t get very far or take away much.

I genuinely feel robbed out of my hard earned money, on top of student loans I now have 10K more of debt…and for what? A disorganized curriculum with a professor that is always in a hurry to leave class and does not care about the students? A $15 Udemy course is FAR more valuable than this whole course. HANDS DOWN.

Support:
    The support services are sub-par, it's quite funny how they can even be called support services! It's a marketing ploy to make the course look more attractive. There aren’t any properly trained tutors… the tutors are students that are either in the course or have completed the course.
    The career services support is a total joke as well…. There is a saturation of developers and its very difficult to get a job, going to a boot camp does not make you any more attractive to employers at all.
    I wish the staff and people, in general, took the thousands of dollars students spend on boot camps and education more seriously, as we don't really have the thousands of dollars because most of all of us are already buried in loans of all kinds *~especially from education.

I hope I shined some light for all of you…. Again this is my honest review and it's how I felt about the course, I’m sure others feel differently but I wanted to express my take as well.

Thanks for reading!

TL;DR
    Heed this advice and save your money! The University of Texas at Austin barely has anything to do with this course it's actually done by Trilogy Education, so don’t get fooled about that because you can’t even take advantage of UT Austin resources. Go to Udemy or any other online course and work through it yourself, it's a far better (and cheaper) investment and you will be thankful. I just wish I had taken this advice before I shelled out so much money, but I was lured and partly skewed by reviews here on this site, so I wanted to give my take on it so maybe I can save some people in the future from falling into the trap I fell into.
    Wednesday, Jul 19 2017
    Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take any and all feedback very seriously and it is greatly appreciated.  While each student’s experience is unique; we aim for 100% satisfaction and would deeply appreciate you taking the time to reach out directly at the number below so we may directly address your concerns.

Your program did encounter unexpected changes in staffing that may have affected your experience with our Career Services. We are currently taking steps to supplement those services as follows:

1. Adding new team members who are currently working to reach out directly to past students and provide them with any career help they need.
    2. Hosting three workshops on resume writing, job search mechanics, and interview skills for members of past cohorts.
    3. Implementing additional one-on-ones with any job seekers from our program since the week of June 18th.

If we can help in any way with your career search at this time, please reach out to our new Career Director directly at (512) 656-7328.

We’re sorry that your experience with the instructor did not meet your expectations. We believe there is always room for improvement and take your feedback to heart. Also, while the curriculum and group work included in our program is designed to simulate the collaborative atmosphere found in many professional web development positions, we recognize not everyone learns most effectively in this way.

As you mention, UT Austin has partnered with Trilogy Education Services, a continuing education program manager that provides proven and innovative curricula currently in use across more than 22 top universities nationwide. This partnership provides our students with the opportunity to learn about the latest technologies in an environment that fosters lifelong learning. It is an evolving curriculum informed by employers in our network from across the country. It is our mission to help people to improve their lives through education, and we offer our deepest apology if we have not met your expectations in this way.

We’d like to hear from you personally and see what we can do to make your experience meet expectations.

We would appreciate you contacting our Program Manager directly at (512) 387-5789.
  • look elsewhere
    - 2/13/2017

it is extremely difficult to articulate how bad this bootcamp actually is. it is not for a lack of words or vocabulary, but it is difficult to get past the feelings of being cheated, scammed and otherwise disappointed. i originally wrote an extremely long review but i have now condensed it to a critique of the 3 promises i was given before joining:

1. instruction & guidance : the main thing i wanted/expected from this course was instruction in what is modern web development and its best practices. what i got was a clueless instructor who clearly does not know what modern web development is. the curriculum is developed (and the course is run) by a company named trilogy. it really has nothing to do with UT Austin but rather is sold on UT Austin's reputation. do not be deceived. the instructor basically read powerpoint slides to us in class and made it excruciatingly clear that he did not prepare before class one bit. what made things worse is that the instructor fumbled through every single lecture and could not answer questions intelligently or accurately. it was frustrating and infuriating to say the least. i was hoping for someone to tell me more than what i could find on youtube or blogposts. what i got instead was a joke of an instructor reading slides… not teaching. want some examples of the poor instruction and guidance? gladly…

• 3 weeks in i asked the instructor why we use parentheses on some javascript methods and not others, such as 'length.' he said i can add them to length, as in lenght(), and it will work. i was immediately given an error as length() is not valid.

• i didn't get any of my javascript homework graded until about half-way through the course. so much for feedback. and when it was graded, my feedback consisted of "you should comment your code." but nothing in terms of actual javascript best practices, language proficiency, or content mastery. the last of my homework assignments that was graded (which was due oct. 29 2016) was graded on nov 26, 2016. there were 5 more assignments due after that, none of which were looked at by any instructor, TA, or employee of trilogy.

• a couple weeks before our final project was due (which was a MERN project - mongodb, expressjs, reactjs, and nodejs) all instruction was over. we had not been instructed, however, in how to actually write a full MERN app or deploy it. in class, we used Heroku for deploying and hosting our apps. so one of my team members asked a TA (the resident ReactJS expert) how to successfuly deploy our app. the TA responded with “I don’t know. I don’t deploy to Heroku. If you get an error I would see what the problem is and just fix it." starting to see the picture? feels like nobody cared once they had my money.

2. career assistance: wow. this was the exact opposite of everything i was sold on. the majority of visits we had were from recruitment companies. anyone can get with these people. just join linkedin. they'll contact you like crazy. or fill out a form at any of their websites. it was an embarrassment that they had recruiters come to class. and it was insulting because, in essence, they (the recruiters) came to sell their services. i thought that was what i was paying for… for the course to actively help in career advice and search. what i was initially told was that they had a bunch of companies as partners who would come out to meet us and give us a chance to present ourselves to them. and that couldn't be further from the truth. our career assistance 'guru' was anything but. i found out last month that my family and i have to relocate out of state, so i asked our career assistance 'guru' if she knew if any of the companies coming to our 'demo day' hire remote workers. her response was for me to search craigslist. craigslist… that was the response. i have a screenshot of the slack conversation to prove it, if you really want to see it. craigslist. i paid money for this? you shouldn't.

3. curriculum: that was the only decent thing but it could use some updating. and it would be better if they hired actual web developers to teach it. otherwise, it's as good as codeacademy.

DO NOT waste your time and money on this awful program. i feel cheated and robbed so please learn from my mistake. if you really are interested in joining a bootcamp, my suggestion would be to seek out 'graduates' and instructors and talk to/email them; ask if you could sit in on a class to evaluate the program; join http://freecodecamp.com/ and follow it to the letter. you'll get as good, if not better, instruction than this terrible bootcamp.

please understand that i put a ridiculous amount of hours and a lot of hard work into the program. and i really did learn quite a bit. but i learned DESPITE this program. not because of it. they did let us know on the first day of class that we are expected to put in a lot of time outside of the program. so i was prepared to do just that. i just didn't expect to or think i'd have to teach myself everything.

the only two things that kept this experience from being 100% suck:

1. i met a few great people with whom i hope to continue coding and collaborating.

2. one TA, Alex Girodano. if trilogy wises up, they will hire him to be an instructor and possibly make themselves look good. because right now, i will tell everyone to steer clear of trilogy and the coding bootcamp at UT Austin. a total rip-off.

Thursday, Feb 16 2017
    Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience. We regret that your experience was not what you expected, but we thank you for your feedback as we view each review as an opportunity for self evaluation. We know that completing the coding boot camp is extremely challenging and requires intense commitment. We congratulate you on graduating and hope you will continue to take advantage of the support we can provide as outlined below.

As you note, UT Austin has partnered with Trilogy Education Services, a continuing education program manager that provides a proven and innovative curriculum in use across more than 20 top universities nationwide. This partnership allows our students to learn about the latest technologies in an environment that fosters lifelong learning. It is an evolving curriculum informed by employers in our network from across the country.

We understand that you chose UT Coding Boot Camp for expert guidance in navigating the daunting task of learning modern web development in an accelerated environment. We strive to provide strong and supportive guidance in our classes but it is clear your instructor did not deliver that for you. Instructors at the UT Coding Boot Camp are assessed extensively prior to being hired and are required to have a minimum five years of real world experience. If we receive feedback from students indicating a concern with an instructor, we work to quickly remedy that with additional training and support as needed. We understand that instructors and students are not always a perfect match, but we do take any concerns raised very seriously.

We are also disappointed to hear that your career service experience  failed to  meet your expectations. Throughout the program, we work to  prepare students for their job search through interview coaching, technical interview training, resume building, cultivating an online presence, employer events and opportunities to network with local employers. Despite your relocation, our program doesn’t end at graduation and we will work to support you even after your move. If you are willing to work with us, we will show you how to uncover opportunities in your new home town and connect you to employers through our networks wherever possible.

We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with our TA, Alex, who was, like you, a graduate of one of the boot camps in the Trilogy university network. It is also good to hear that you have made lasting connections in the program. We love seeing the collaboration that develops between students throughout the course.

Again, despite your relocating out of the Austin area, I would love for you to reach out to me directly (Brett) so that I may connect you with a career director in our network to assist you as you continue your search. Please call me at 512-387-1914.

We wish you the best of luck and look forward to speaking with you soon!
  • Buyer Beware
    - 2/13/2017

My biggest hesitation on recommending this course is the lack of qualified instructors. I was surprised to learn that the course actually has no connection to UT, it is designed and run by a company called Trilogy Education Services. So any associations you may want to attach to UT and it’s educational standards are misleading. The instructors for these courses have no education training so there is a complete lack of pedagogy, and when things get difficult to explain, which they do often, instructors are unable to break down the complexity and explain things in a way the class can understand. The curriculum is pre-written and instructors read off powerpoint slides word for word. Which results in the instructors not having a complete grasp on the concepts and lessons trying to be taught. The homework assignment are not real world examples, we had to make lots of games. Which can be difficult to code, but I was told I would learn real world examples of how to code. What I have told everyone who asked if they should take this course is NO. If I were to do it over, I would spend about 6 months learning HTML/CSS and as much Javascript as I could online or from books. After you have these fundamentals, I would take a course like this, but not a full-stack course. I would take a front-end course, or a back-end course and actually get good at something. If you are serious about your education and your investment, visit a class and sit through a teaching session, be critical, and try your best to talk to students and get their honest feedback. Sadly I feel like I wasted my money on this course. I expected a course UT would indorse to be better.

Sunday, Feb 19 2017
    Hi,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your personal experience with us. As you mentioned, UT Austin chose to collaborate with Trilogy Education Services to develop The Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin. TES is the leading continuing education program manager in the US, and has partnered with over 20 top universities to support their efforts to meet the needs of employers. The Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin and our partners at TES are absolutely passionate about what we do and we thrive on seeing our students succeed.

We know how challenging it can be to learn a new skill and we take your feedback very seriously.  Throughout our courses, we analyze instructor performance and their levels of engagement in the classroom and provide feedback to help them develop into the best instructors that they can be. We vet our instructors carefully, hiring practitioners with a minimum of five years experience and a demonstrated passion for helping our students to succeed. We are sorry to hear that your personal experience with your instructor did not meet your expectations, and we’d like to discuss this with you further so that we can make sure to provide you with the additional support that you may need (even after graduation).

Your student experience does not end on graduation day.  At The Coding Boot Camp at UT Austin it continues on even after the program ends. We support our students with a range of career services for 90 days after graduation. We would welcome an opportunity to provide you with additional learning support or career services, so please reach out to me (Brett) directly at 512-387-1914 so that we can discuss your individual needs at this time and help equip you for success.