university-of-utah-professional-education-boot-camps-logo

University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps

Salt Lake City

University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps

University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps offer 24-week, part-time web development, cybersecurity, and UX/UI courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The UX/UI program provides hands-on training in user-centric design research, design thinking, visual prototyping and wireframing, interface design, storyboarding, visual design theory, web prototyping with HTML5 and CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and individuals who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio and homework reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and 1:1 career coaching. Graduates will receive a non-credit Certificate of Completion from the University of Utah Professional Education Community Engagement and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development or learn skills applicable to certifications in our cybersecurity program.

University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (38) reviews for University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps →

Recent University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationSalt Lake City
    University of Utah Professional Education Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
  • Full Stack Web Development - Part-Time

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, MongoDB, MySQL, Node.js, React.js
    LocationSalt Lake City
    University of Utah Professional Education Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
  • UX/UI Boot Camp - Part-Time

User Experience Design, jQuery, JavaScript, HTML, Design, CSS
    LocationSalt Lake City
    Get hands-on training and instruction in UX/UI design methodology, design software skills, front end web prototyping technologies and frameworks including HTML/CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more. Maintain your current schedule by studying part-time, and apply what you’ve learned toward building a comprehensive portfolio of projects ranging from AI sketches to mobile-responsive web layouts.
    Payment plans available
  • Mike Mader • Graduate
    The U of U Cybersecurity Boot Camp was genuinely rewarding and has changed my life in ways I couldn’t fathom. I went into this program not knowing what to expect. I truly believe this is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I’ve learned things I’ve always wondered about and watching an expert demonstrate these concepts was incredible to experience.

Things I particularly enjoyed:

• Real-world experience with in-class activities that are geared towards success.
    • The instructor (Mr. F) really complimented the study material well and couldn’t have been better. It was extremely interesting all the way through. I’m usually one to steer clear of the front of the classroom and I enjoyed it enough that I moved to the front row.
    • Being able to interact with a cybersecurity expert and get an inside look at the field. We were taught things you simply just can’t learn from a book.
    • Career-focused exposure to all different aspects of cybersecurity.
    • The homework was challenging but the assignments were definitely interesting and applicable to the real world.
    • The career services are a huge help, the one on one meetings on zoom have been very beneficial.
    • ALL of the staff were outstanding. The instructor, the TA's, the tutor along with career services mentor always welcomed any questions I had and were ambitious to help out.

Things I found to be challenging:

• The classes were three to four hours long (weekends) which weres taxing at times but the interesting nature of the activities made it go by surprisingly fast.
    • This program requires a lot of time outside of class to get these concepts down. I really enjoyed the material we were working with so putting in time outside of class was easy. I would average 20-30 hrs a week depending on what we were covering that week.
    • One thing that we were told on the first day was how challenging the class was and how it gets progressively more difficult as it goes on, there's no denying that at all.
    • It was stressful and took up a tremendous amount of time but was very well worth it in the end.

I fully endorse this program and highly suggest other students dive in. My only regret was not doing this sooner. It was by far the best educational endeavor I’ve experienced.
    Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps
    Monday, Mar 09 2020
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Mike! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the program and benefited from the support of our entire team. Like you noted, this course does require an extensive time commitment, and dedicating additional hours to mastering the concepts covered is essential.

We couldn't agree more that although challenging at times, the program is well worth it in the end. Congratulations on successfully graduating, we commend all your hard work! Best of luck as you continue moving forward in your cybersecurity journey.
  • Emily Robinson • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

I did the full stack program here and it was awesome. I like that they teach front end and back end development so that everyone can see for themselves which they would prefer. That, and it being through the U, was why I chose this boot camp. The curriculum was very good and helped me in my current role and also helped me get a promotion. The information taught is what should be known by anyone working in software development in my opinion, it isn't just for developers. There is a lot you can do with this kind of knowledge.

Tuesday, Jul 30 2019
    Amazing, Emily! We're thrilled to hear you benefited from the curriculum and learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development. Congratulations on successfully completing the course and thank you for your review! Best of luck moving forward.
  • Mataja • Graduate

In this program we learned to use javascript and frameworks associated with it, including Node, Express, React, and jQuery. We also learned to use Mongo and mySQL databases. I really enjoyed the program, even though it was very fast paced. I think it is important for anyone that is looking into the program to make sure this is something they are really interested in learning, because it is a very intense 6 months. The level of support avaliable is excellent though, and the instructors and other administration want to see you succeed. I think it was very worth it.

Friday, Jul 12 2019
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Mataja! We're happy you enjoyed learning everything covered in the coding boot camp curriculum and felt supported throughout your journey. Like you noted, students are expected to make a significant time commitment to successfully complete the program, so we commend your hard work. Congratulations on graduating! We wish you the best in your future endeavors.
  • Great Bootcamp
    - 6/28/2019
    Stu • Software Engineer

Jonathan is a great instructor.  Had a great time!

Friday, Jun 28 2019
    Thank you, Stu! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the program and also have to agree that Jonathan is pretty fantastic. Congratulations on completing the boot camp and best of luck in your future endeavors!
  • Max Wilets
    - 2/24/2019
    Max Wilets • Student

Started with minimal coding knowledge and left learning more than I did getting my bachelor's. I met a lot of great people, the instructor and TAs were very knowledgable and helpful. My favorite part was the projects, that's where I really put my skills to the test. I learned a lot and I am excited for my future in the developing world.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Thank you for sharing your journey, Max! We're thrilled you enjoyed our hands-on projects and found our instructional team to be knowledgeable. Congratulations on graduating, we wish all the best as you move forward!
  • Geoff Lambert • Back End Software Engineer • Graduate

I've been doing PHP coding for 5 years and wanted to learn Full Stack JavaScript development but I needed to make sure whatever course I took was rigorous, comprehensive and affordable. I have to say that I couldn't be happier with the results. I have learned so much in just six months. It started out basic and slow to give the inexperienced students a good starting point and it built on the presented concepts very well as the course got going. We learned how to build front-end websites and excellently transitioned into JavaScript which the rest of the class focused on. It was an intense workload at times, but you need to struggle with these things to start mastering them. They force you into that position because it really is educational and develops a plethora of skills well beyond learning a programming language. My only issue is that a lot of the homework assignments were games. Games are fun and engaging, but the real-world project stuff didn't come into play until a fair way into the class. Regardless, at the end of the day I have learned exactly what the course advertised, true full stack web application skills. I'm now transitioning from the small startup I've been employed with to a much bigger company with better benefits, salary and the opportunity to work on entire applications instead of code monkeying scripts. I highly recommend talking to the reps if you are at all interested in software, a stable and upwardly mobile carrer or want a program that is much cheaper than the big name bootcamps in New York and Chicago.

Sunday, Feb 24 2019
    Thank you so much, Geoff! We're thrilled you found our program to be comprehensive and were able to apply your skills to transition into a new role. We are constantly working to improve our curriculum, so we appreciate your input. Congratulations on completing the course, we are rooting you on in all your coding endeavors!
  • Andi Carlstrom • Software Engineer • Student

I highly recommend the University of Utah's Full Stack Web Development program. I participated in the 6 month part time program where I comprehensively learned industry standard frontend and backend web dev technologies and languages. My instructor was extremely knowledgeable and consistently took the time to ensure that we were taken care of. I got a job as a Software Engineer right out of the program and I can directly attribute that to the programs quality and a lot of hustle. I will say that the program is not easy and you will have to work VERY hard to get through it but they provide TA's and tutors as a part of the program who are there to help you every step of the way.

Wednesday, Feb 20 2019
    Amazing, Andi! Thank you for recommending our program. We're thrilled you found our instructor to be so knowledgeable and supportive. Great advice for prospective students — utilizing the boot camp's resources is key. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in all your future endeavors!
  • Pretty good
    - 1/28/2019
    Brooklee • jr web dev • Graduate

it's fast-paced and not for everyone that being said if you are willing to work hard put in extra hours outside of class to really learn, it is well worth it. Keep in mind it's more of a let's get your career started you will have to take what you learn and build on that knowledge to make a good career out of it.

Monday, Jan 28 2019
    Thank you, Brooklee! You're completely right that this program is fast-paced, but if you're willing to put in the work, you can succeed. Congratulations on completing such a rigorous course, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Logan Lee • FreelanceFullstack Web Developer & TA for the University of Utah Professional Education Coding Bootcamp • Graduate

My name is Logan Lee and I took this course January of 2018, and finished in July of 2018.  My experience during those 6 months was different than any other education I have had.  I will not lie, it was challenging. One of the harder things I've done in my life.  Especially as someone who had absoltely no prior experience or knowledge on the subject.  The course moves fast, and there are a lot of topics that you will need to absorb to the best of your abilities.  However, all of the tools and resources are there for you to succeed.  This course tested my ability to soak in as much information as possible, and my ability to be self sufficient.  I never knew using google was a skill until I took this class haha!

I feel very fortunate for two reasons. One, my instrucor Jonathan Bejarano was absolutely outstanding.  You can tell he cares VERY much about his students and their careers following the completion of this bootcamp.  He would take time to individually chat with you about any issues you were experiencing, job opportunities, interview tactics... you name it. He was very good at explaining complicated conepts by comparing them to everyday things that would be easy to associate and understand.  I could tell that he thinks about every lesson plan and finds ways to imporve upon them(he will adapt to the people in his class).I was very lucky to have him leading our class. Two, being my classmates. I have made life long friends from this course.  When I found myself struggling, I knew I had people that I could turn to and chat with about anything.

I've learned four things from this course. The first, obviously, is how to code... Both front-end and back-end.  Second is how to work with people in a team setting. Third is patience, holding back frusturation when encountering annoying bugs that seem unsolvable.  The fourth being problem solving, being able to have an open mind, taking in all the variables and sorting through all possible routes to take.  Things that would once stump me and make me angry, I now look at in a completely different way. My brain is primed to troubleshoot and find solutions.

Now that I have written probably the longest review in history let me leave any readers with some advice.  If you are thinking about taking this class, be prepared to face challenges that will keep you up late. Don't be afraid of failing at first, this is how you will improve.  Lean on fellow classmates and push for peer communication, DO NOT be afraid to ask questions.  Take advantage of any outside resources such as udemy, codewars stack overflow etc. as well as any resources that the course provides such as office hours and tutoring.  Six months can completely change your life and your career.  I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to get involved in this industry, but doesn't want to pursue a traditional computer science degree(not saying that you can't do both).

Thanks for reading, I hope some of you will find this review helpfull.

Wednesday, Jan 16 2019
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Logan! We're so glad you enjoyed your instructor and made life long connections with other classmates — we also think Jonathan is outstanding. We appreciate your helpful advice for future students navigating the course and completely agree that utilizing all the boot camp's resources will help you succeed. Congratulations on graduating, we are rooting you on as you continue towards your future goals!
  • Great Bootcamp!
    - 5/24/2018
    Andrew R. • Web Developer • Graduate

After completing this full-stack web development course, I can confidently recommend it to anyone who's interested in becoming a web developer. This program lasts for 6 months, and allows you to work during the day and attend classes at night, while completing projects on your own time at home. Now I know that some bootcamps get a bad rap, and it may or may not be for a good reason, but let me tell you why this bootcamp is among the best.

Pros:

• The staff in this department are EXTREMELY attentive to your feedback. If you have any concerns about anything related to the course, they will make sure you're needs are met as quickly as possible. They treat you as a professional, and not necessarily like just another student.
    • The instructors, and the TA's are among the best I've seen in any program. They are working professionals who know what they are doing and know the industry well. They don't mess around with selection process either. If an instructor does not meet expectations, they take immidiate action to ensure they find someone who does. They know you pay good money for this course, and they take that very seriously.
    • The curriculum for this course robust and covers a wide variety of different technologies that will help you get ahead in the industry. They are also constantly changing this curriculum to match what's being used commonly out in the real world. There were several times during the course where they changed the curriculum in order to teach us more commonly used technologies.
    • There's always help available. If you feel like you are getting behind or are having trouble understanding the material, TA's are always available to help you out. They also offer personal tutors outside of class hours to help you get the assistance you need. No one gets left behind, and the class keeps up a good pace.
    • This program recognizes that the tech industry changes quickly. No matter how much you learn about current techs, there will always be new things to replace the current ones. That is why in addition to teaching you current technology, they put a lot of emphasis into self-learning. They make sure that you understand that once you finish the course and venture off into the real world, that you have the skills and the foundation necessary to continue learning and understanding new technologies so that you always stay relevant.
    • Unlike other bootcamps out there, this one is offered at one of the most prestigious universities in the state of Utah. This means when you graduate you get a (really nice and official looking) certificate of completion. To me this shows employers that you were serious about where you got your education. And looks much better than getting a certificate from any other bootcamp.
    • This program is split into two parts, Technology, and Career. So aside from learning how to code, you are also working closely with your career advisors to help set you up for success in the rough world of employment searching. They help you build up a portfolio, learn how to effectively complete tech interviews, build a complete resume, etc. They do everything they can to make you stick out to employers and have a much easier experience when looking for a job.
    • It's just better. I've met graduates from other bootcamps in the area (I won't mention any names) who have felt that their experience wasn't a good one. I've personally worked with some of these graduates and found that some of them really struggle with what they've learned. I personally believe the quality of this bootcamp is far superior to other's I have seen. I've even met individuals who have done other bootcamps, then went through the UofU's bootcamp and have said that this one is the best by far.

Cons:

• The course gets started VERY quickly and with very little initial instruction. When first starting you are likely going to be very confused with how everything works and what is expected of you. These things become clear after a short period, but in my opinion they could have given more instruction and made the startup process a little more organized.
    • This is, in my opinion, both a PRO and a CON. But the course is very fast paced (obviously, it's a bootcamp). But it's very important that if you take this course you are motivated enough to use the resources available to you so that you can keep up. If you feel like you are falling behind it's up to you to make sure you get the help you need. Everything you need is available to you for your success, you just have to make sure you stick with it and use those resources.
    • Some employers are still a little biased towards bootcamp graduates. It's unfortunate, but it's true. Some employers may dismiss you because of where and how you got your education - but this shouldn't discourage you. I've seen many of these graduates do really well. It's up to us to change this negative stigma, so do your best and make sure your work is top notch.
    • The technologies taught in this bootcamp (during the time that I attended) were open source, JavaScript driven technologies, like Node, MongoDB, Express.js. It was very cool stuff, but I quickly learned after being in the industry for a while that there is SO much more out there for you to learn that employers are looking for. .NET developers for example are in very high demand, but you won’t learn any of that here (Unless their curriculum has changed, which it very well may have). We got a small taste of other languages like Python, and Go, but those things were more of an introduction and I can’t say with confidence that any of it stuck. I would have really loved to learn more high demand languages in depth, like C# or Python.
    • There are a few things that I believe are extremely important that were not covered in this course for some reason. Here are a few of those things.
      • Environment variables (Very important for security reasons when developing web apps).
      • SASS and LESS (Widely used extensions for CSS)
      • SSL Certificates (Also very important for delivering secure web apps)
    Response From: Corrine Padilla of University of Utah Professional Education Boot Camps
    Title: Student Success Manager
    Tuesday, May 29 2018
    Thank you so much for your review, Andrew! Congratulations on graduating, we applaud all of the hard work you put into learning these valuable skills. It made our day to hear that you found the curriculum to be competitive with today's latest technologies and that you enjoyed your instructional team, career support, and the program as a whole.

Like you mentioned, this is a fast-paced and challenging course, covering a wide range of knowledge in a limited amount of time. Though it ramps up fast, we're constantly working to ensure that our program sets up students for success from the very beginning. We do our best to communicate to students that because we cover a full-stack, topics are introduced quickly and at a higher level, after which students are expected to dive in and gain a deeper understanding outside of class. This helps individuals learn how to problem-solve and self-teach, a necessary key skill in a developer’s career. We understand you would have wanted to learn additional programming languages like C# or Python, and we truly appreciate this feedback as our curriculum is constantly being updated to be in line with market demands.

You are completely right that being motivated and using all available resources is vital to an individual's success in this program, as it's easy to fall behind - this is great advice for potential students. We can't wait to see all you will accomplish and wish you nothing but the best going forward!
    The admission reps were pushy and acted more like salesmen than Advisors. Every time I had a question I felt as though my question was dismissed or ultimately circled back to "complete the application and pay the down payment before we speak again". After weeks of trying to get clear answers I ultimately decided I wasn't comfortable giving them my money and withdrew my application.
    Thursday, Jul 15 2021
    Thank you for your feedback. Like you noted, we do have a multi-step admissions process to ensure that interested candidates and future students are set up for success. During this process, it's our goal for individuals to be able to ask any and all relevant questions, feel supported, and receive answers in a timely manner. From your review, we understand that your experience may not have lived up to our standards and we regret any inconvenience it may have caused.

We strive to excel in every part of our boot camp experience. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you and determine what additional assistance we can provide for you at this time to make it right. If you would like, please reach out to us directly at (801) 895-2166.
    First of all, this is run through Trilogy Education, not the U of U.  The U of U just stamps their name on the certificate (which doesn't even include a certificate number).  The teaching method and curriculum were complete garbage.  This boot camp won't prepare you for the real world at all.  Not worth the money, time, or effort.  Half the curriculum was Disney Princess pep talks rather than preparation for reality.  The curriculum doesn't match the job market and even if it did, it was designed in such a way that you don't finish the boot camp knowing anything about it.  For example, they cover automation testing for like 10 minutes in the entire six months and then say you're qualified to be a QA tester.  It's supposed to be a MERN stack program, but you only do one MERN stack project, but spend half the boot camp learning tools and languages that aren't used when you start using the MERN stack frameworks.  Class sessions were a waste of time because you'd spend 10 minutes of instruction then 2 hours of "exercises" that were either just copying and pasting the example or were something we never went over and you couldn't figure it out and the solution was never discussed or explained so you just end up clueless and having wasted the time.  They didn't even try to teach any principles but rather just told us to copy and paste and Google everything.  By the end of the boot camp, the entire cohort could copy and paste pre-made code snippets from Google searches to make flashy websites, but nobody can answer an interview question, pass a LinkedIn assessment quiz, or even get by the first two questions on CodeWars or CodeSignal.  The career coaching staff seemed like career coaches rather then web developer industry experts.  They were inconsistent amongst themselves and their printed coaching materials and didn't always give relevant advice.   Additionally, a lot of things we were taught were incorrect and we'd get warnings in our exercises that we were using depricated methods or technologies.  After the boot camp, I did an Agile certification course and discovered what the boot camp taught us about Agile was incorrect.  The course was seriously disappointing for me and all my cohorts.
    Friday, Oct 02 2020
    Thank you for your feedback. From your review, we understand the program did not meet your expectations.

As you noted, the University of Utah Professional Education has partnered with Trilogy Education Services (TES) to offer the University of Utah Professional Education Coding Boot Camp. The University of Utah Professional Education is deeply involved in the curriculum, instructor selection, and outcomes of each of our classes, and routinely meet in conjunction with TES to monitor the learning experience and performance. Both the University of Utah Professional Education and TES are completely dedicated to transforming students' lives and are fully transparent about this relationship throughout the entire course.

As a boot camp, we know that the curriculum is fast-paced and challenging while covering a wide range of topics, and we do our best to make this clear to prospective students. We pride ourselves on teaching individuals how to learn, providing a strong foundational skillset that allows them to easily dive into other programming languages, even after the course ends. This helps participants learn how to problem-solve and self-teach through internet research and other available resources; crucial abilities needed in any real-world role.

Our course material is based on extensive market research, teaching in-demand skills that learners can use to enter the current tech field, and we are proud of our ability to frequently make necessary optimizations. We appreciate your feedback as we are constantly working on improving our curriculum to ensure participants are learning the most valuable skills and concepts.

Our career services team is built on the principle of empowerment. This experience is focused on helping students become employer competitive through a variety of resources and tools, including technical interview training, portfolio reviews, resume/social media profile support, online Tech Talk panels, and one-on-one coaching with their Career Director.

We sincerely care about our students and it is our goal for all participants to feel equipped with the necessary knowledge and resources to complete the course. We would love the opportunity to speak with you directly to learn how else we can assist you at this time and help improve your current experience. If you would like, please reach out to us at (801) 895-2166.