unc-chapel-hill-boot-camps-logo

UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps

Chapel Hill, Raleigh

UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps

UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps offer 24-week, part-time courses in web development or data analytics in Chapel Hill/Morrisville or Raleigh, NC. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Node.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, MySQL, Git, C#, ASP.Net, and more. The data science curriculum covers a broad array of technologies like programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, API Interactions, MySQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, Machine Learning, and more.

Applicants do not need programming experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or are looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching.  Students will also have access to a network of boot camp employer partners. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion from the William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education at UNC-Chapel Hill and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development or data analytics.

UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. Brand.

Recent UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (50) reviews for UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps →

Recent UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps News

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationRaleigh
    - This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationChapel Hill, Raleigh
    The Coding Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
    Prep WorkPre-work

• $500 UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Raleigh)

• Steve Hulme  User Photo
    Steve Hulme • Program Manager • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am a March graduate of the UNC Coding Bootcamp. I took the Bootcamp in order to return to my "roots" as a software developer, after 20 years of project and IT Professional Services management. I'm glad I took this Bootcamp -- it is head and shoulders above the alternatives.

The Bootcamp's strong points are these:

• Training in current software frameworks and technologies.
    • Excellent, well-written, and challenging exercises and homework.
    • Hands-on development. Instruction is emphatically not "death by powerpoint". You will write a lot of code!
    • We had a terrific instructor, one of those rare individuals who was born to teach. Our instructor has extensive experience as a developer and as a manager of development teams at a major corporation. That experience, plus enthusiasm and the ability to explain complex topics, made class presentations compelling and enjoyable.
    • TA support. There were, usually, 3 TAs -- all veteran developers -- for 32 students. Thus (and including the instructor) we had an 8:1 student/faculty ratio. As a result, it was easy to get help and that help was given by people who know what they are doing.
    • A Student Success Manager (SSM) who worked very hard to ensure each of us had a great experience. Our SSM was always available, responsive to questions, and committed to our success.

To conclude, this is a professionally run and supported Bootcamp that provides a quality educational experience, focused on currently-relevant software technology.

There are, of course, a few improvements I'd make -- more focus on ES6 Javascript, React.js, Angular, and removing the C# module.  But these are nits. I know that Trilogy Ed, who runs the course, is always trying to improve it. I'm confident it will continue to provide excellent, relevant training.

If you fully participate in every class and do all the homework you will acquire solid software development tools. To become a true software developer you must do additional reading and research, as well as gain on-the-job experience, but these requirements are true for any profession.  The Coding Bootcamp will give you the tools you need to progress down your professional path.

Knowing what I know now, would I take the Coding Bootcamp again -- absolutely! I am very grateful to the Instructor, TAs, and our SSM for their help and dedication to my success.

Wednesday, May 02 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, Steve! It made our team's day to know that you enjoyed our boot camp and received the necessary support from our instructors, TA's, and Student Success Manager. It's terrific to hear that your experience in the program helped you further advance your previous programming skills. Our entire team is passionate about what they do, so receiving feedback like yours makes all of their commitment truly worthwhile.

We’re constantly updating our curricula and student feedback is an important part of keeping our course material up to date, so we really appreciate your input. We couldn’t agree more that the program depends solely on what you’re willing to put into it. You’ve definitely worked hard, so we congratulate you on your accomplishments! Congratulations on completing this course and we wish you all the best as you move forward in your career!
  • Great choice
    John-Mike Marquardt  User Photo
    John-Mike Marquardt • Sr Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    This was a very challenging 24-week course, but also very rewarding. The UNC coding bootcamp is the best way to experience an overall full-stack understanding of modern web development while also still working full-time. We used all of the common tools (git & github, slack, trello, heroku, sublime/atom) that developers use right from day one. While fast paced, we incrementally built our knowledge and skills in a very digestible timeframe. The opportunity to be a part of a cohort in a classroom with excellent supportive instructors and staff is invaluable to learning. I learned more in 6 months of bootcamp than I did in two years of MOOCs.
    Friday, Sep 15 2017
    You rock John! We’re so glad that our program provided you with such a valuable educational experience. We’re constantly working to improve our curriculum, so we love to hear that you found the progression of topics to be easy to absorb. We hope you’re proud of all of the hard work you put into this program.

• Lalit Solanki  User Photo
    Lalit Solanki Verified via LinkedIn

Boot camp was a great learning experience and lot of fun.

The classroom material and homework exercises are excellent.

I am pretty sure they will serve as handy references for years to come. I love the fact that everythign will be accessible after completing the class.

I learned lot of new concepts and refreshed some of my older concepts about web development.I have already started using node in developing microservice architecture for my devops activities.

The classes are rightly paced. Nick is an excellent teacher, very knowledgeable and approachable, always ready to help.

Ilyssa is a great help. Because of her help and encouragement I was able to get more than 100% from this course

Wednesday, Feb 08 2017
    Thank you so much for sharing your review, Lalit! It makes us happy to hear that you had such a great experience in the program and are already putting your knowledge into practice. Our instructors, as well as our student success team, are passionate about equipping students for success, so we are glad that you felt so supported. Congratulations on all your hard work! We wish you nothing but the best going forward.
  • JavaScript Warriors
    - 10/28/2019
    Logan • Financial Analyst • Student

I found the course via word of mouth from a peer who went through the course. She had nothing but good things to say in regards to the relevancy of the curriculum, and the doors it opened for her.

Being only three months in, I can already confirm that this has been the best investment of both time and money that I have made since completing my undergrad degree in Finance.

From other Developers that I have spoken with, and the communities that I browse online, what we are learning / have learned is exactly what the Software Development industry is demanding. The relevancy of the course material is what I appreciate the most.

The course has taken us through the front end of Web Development, beginning with the basics of HTML, CSS, Bootstrapping, and Javascript. Then, we moved towards creating command line applications by leveraging the power of Node.js. Now we have reached the backend portion of the full stack curriculum.

It is fast paced, truly a bootcamp. But if you are of the mindset that you want to make a better professional life for yourself, or even pursuit independent entrepreneurial endeavors that may revolve around creating online applications, then this is the place to start.

Lastly, my advice to any applicants would be to be both disciplined, and excited. This is a chance for you to learn something that you enjoy doing, while challenging your standard train of thought. It will become a lifestyle, and studying won't feel like studying anymore, because the course will always leave you yearning for more.

Tuesday, Oct 29 2019
    Way to go, Logan! We're thrilled you're enjoying the curriculum. Like you noted, this is a fast-paced program, one that will require steadfast dedication and lifelong learning. We commend all the hard work you've committed thus far and are looking forward to seeing your final project in a few weeks!
  • Sadric Bonner • Graduate

The 24-week coding experience was an awesome game changer for me. I attended school with some of the most knowledgeable cohorts, in addition to, the smartest TA's - Noah, Tim, Zach and Paul.

One of my most unforgettable and touching class observations, was viewing a fellow student struggling. Alper, our instructor, observed it, too. So, he walked over and pulled up a chair to sit beside him. Alper, sat with the student until he was able to understand the new material.

Lastly, Lisa. Lisa, was always thoughtful, uplifting and kind. She would sometimes Slack words of encourgement (because life will show up) to let me know, I was not alone on my journey.

This was truly a game changer, and I'm glad I decided to take the leap of faith. The people you will meet, I promise you, have the potential in becoming your rock.

Tuesday, Jun 04 2019
    Amazing, Sadric! We're happy to hear you found our entire boot camp team to be knowledgebale and supportive—we also have to agree that Lisa, Alper, Noah, Tim, Zach, and Paul are all pretty fantastic. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Amazing Bootcamp
    - 4/24/2019
    Jerome Magolan • Graduate

The Coding Bootcamp through Chapel Hill was professional, challenging and extremly informative .  When I decided to perform a career pivot I looked at several options for bootcamps and decided to apply to the UNC program due to UNC's reputation for collegiate academics.  I was not dissapointed!!  The program itself is extremely challenging, especially to someone like myself with little to no experience within the web developement community.  I was supported throughout the entire process by career services, student support services, the instructor and our ta's.  They all take time to ensure you understand the material and excell.  The program takes you in-depth through the different parts of web developement from the basics of HTML, CSS and Javascript to Mongo, Node applications and React.  The coursework is challenging but through the homework and class projects you are set appart from others with a Professional Portfolio you and your future employers will be proud of.  If you are looking to make a career change, would like to futher your current knowledge of web developement or just enjoy tinkering within the industry I would highly recommend this program.

Wednesday, Apr 24 2019
    We truly appreciate your review, Jerome! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the coursework and felt supported by our entire boot camp team. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success as you move forward!
  • Paula P. • UX Developer | Fidelity • Graduate

I completed the bootcamp in May of 2018.  After graduation, I worked for Trilogy as a Teaching Assistant as well as a Video Curriculum Engineer on their Enterprise Curriculum Team, and I recently got offered a position as a UX Developer with Fidelity.

I had a good overall experience in terms of the sheer amount of material that I learned throughout the course as well as in securing a job in the field afterwards.   A++ to my Instructors, Student Success Manager, and the new Career Services Director.

Incoming Knowledge:
    I came in with almost no experience, but this course made it easy to succeed with the right amount of effort outside of class (which absolutely varies from student to student).  I did work during the bootcamp as well, which was difficult but manageable.

Course Advice:
    Even though this is a part-time course with only ten hours a week of in-class time, what you put in outside of class is essential for success.  From experience in my own cohort and from being a TA, it is pretty consistent that the people who put in the most work outside of class are the most successful (including students who work hard being more successful than students with prior knowledge).  The course sets you up very nicely to learn how to learn, but there is so much information out there that you need to be prepared to take the class activities and use them as a jumping off point for deeper learning.  Additionally, you can do just enough learning to get through the homework, but spending the extra time while you're in the cohort and have the instructors as resources is pretty invaluable in terms of growing your coding skillset for life after the bootcamp.
    Final piece of advice: do not get behind.  Keep up with the classwork and homework, because the courseload grows expoentially as you dive into more difficult subjects, add projects, and start job hunting. With that in mind, if you are ever struggling, there is one other huge perk to the bootcamp, which is access to free(!) tutors who can work with you outside of class.

Career Services:
    I would have given career services no stars because they were completely unhelpful during my cohort.  However, the new director who has taken over is terrific!  She made the effort to follow up with former graduates like myself, had incredibly useful advice for job hunting, and is as hands-on or hands-off as you prefer in terms of scheduling followups and coachings.

Post Graduation:
    I got funneled into working for Trilogy almost right away, which was a great way to get my foot in the door in the development world.  You will come out of the bootcamp with a lot of knowledge and skills, but very little experience on your resume.  However, If you are persisitent about keeping up with your learning (show that on github!), actively working on side projects (again with the github), practicing talking about what you know (maybe buy a whiteboard...), and being proactive about your job search (make a spreadhseet), you will definitely be set up to find a good job!

TLDR:
    This course is definitely worth it! You get what you put in.

Friday, Feb 15 2019
    We truly appreciate your review, Paula! Like you mentioned, how much time and effort you put in outside of class is essential to mastering the course material. We're thrilled you successfully learned the fundamentals of web development and applaud all your hard work. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for returning to TA for us! We're rooting you on in your new career role.
  • Anna • Graduate

The UNC full-stack coding bootcamp is one of my favorite memories of being a student. It taught me the skills to learn new technologies fast. I landed a full-time, well-paid, internship at the end of the course and used the skills that I learned to continue growing as a developer. As an example, I learned Wordpress, Twig, Timber, and a bit of PHP within the course of a week and a half in order to build a web-page for the new company website. I would not have had the confidence to do this if it had not been for my experience at the UNC bootcamp. The professors and TAs were extremely supportive. Whenever I needed help they were there to assist. I never got the feeling that I was stupid when I did not get anything, because it was taught that coding is HARD and that even if you don't get it right away you WILL get it eventually as long as you keep practicing it and keep working hard.

Saturday, Feb 02 2019
    Way to go, Anna! We're thrilled you completed the program confident in your newfound web development skills and were able to land an exciting role. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! We are cheering you on as you continue moving forward.
  • Gregory May • Student

I decided that my career choice wasn't working for me and wanted a change. The UNC Bootcamp was perfect to help me with this challenge. In 6 months I am now able to establish my own server, code for a dynamic website using Javascript, HTML, and CSS. The experience was challenging, but awesome! I would do it again if money were no object!

Friday, Jan 18 2019
    Amazing, Gregory! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We're glad you had such a great student experience. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best as you continue forward.
  • John Tillman • Graduate

I had a very positive experience with the UNC Web Development Bootcamp.  Like many other students, I didn't know quite what to expect; however, the Bootcamp exceeded my expectations, particulary with the instructional staff and overall curriculum.

My instructor was fantastic.  He was able to teach to both novice and experienced developers alike.  Not only did the instructor present the material in an engaging way, he always refered to instances in the real-world where the concepts would apply.

The curriculum is mult-faceted, which was my favorite part of the bootcamp.  The lessons cater to new programmers, however, they also provide additional depth for programmers with some background.  While a novice developer will benefit tremendously from this course, I would recommend that anyone interetested in the bootcamp look into basic javaScript concepts first.  I had some previous development experience, and this allowed me to grow substantially as a developer during my 6 months with the bootcamp.

The TA's were also fantastic.  They were all patient and knowledgeable, and provided great real-world insight into the material.

Overall, I would recommend this Bootcamp to anyone looking to level-up as a web developer and javaScript programmer.  Note - to succeed, even with some previous experience, the program requires a substantial time commitment.  I would absolutely do it again!

Monday, Jan 07 2019
    Amazing, John! We're thrilled you enjoyed your entire boot camp experience and were able to substantially grow your web development skills. Thank you for your review and congratulations on graduating! We wish you all the best as you continue forward.
  • Great experience!
    - 12/5/2018
    Bootcamp Graduate November 2018 • Graduate

I had a great experience at the UNC Chapel HIll Coding Bootcamp. The instructional staff(instructor and TAs) were super helpful and extend themselves to provide a supportive environment for the students to be able to feel confident and give their very best at the curriculum. The group projects helped me understand the importance and dynamics of team work and building rapport with team members. The course overall is very fast-paced, intense and demands hard work, dedication and focus throughout! The technologies and skills learnt are very relevant to the current job market and leaves you ready to take the next step in your career with confidence.

Wednesday, Dec 05 2018
    Amazing! We are so glad to hear you had a great boot camp experience, fully supported by your classmates and our entire instructional staff. You're completely right that this program is fast-paced and requires hard work and dedication throughout. Congratulations on completing such a rigorous course, and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Khaled Mamun • Student

Since I had no previous experience in coding, it has been a truly invaluable learning experience for me. The course was very organized, well-focused, and designed in a manner that learning is not limited. However, this course is very challenging and fast phase. Instructor was very engaging and made the class enjoyable which made significantly stress-free for the newbies like me. Additionally, the professionalism and the support being extended by the tutor and the admin team was really great, and I am thankful to them.

Thursday, Jul 05 2018
    Thank you so much for your review, Khaled! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the design and organization of the course. Like you noted, this boot camp is challenging and fast-paced, so it's great to know your instructor made class enjoyable and significantly stress-free for a novice beginner like yourself. We work hard to enable student success, so we are thrilled you found our entire team to be supportive. Congratulations on graduating and we wish you all the best moving forward!
  • Deb Bayo • Student

As a mid-career professional I sought out the UNC Coding Bootcamp to enhance my front-end knowledge learn back-end development. The curriculum is comprehensive and fast paced. The instructional team is outstanding. I highly recommend this program.

Tuesday, Jun 05 2018
    Congratulations on graduating, Deb! We are thrilled you had such a positive boot camp journey, learning front-end and back-end technologies. Like you noted, our curriculum is comprehensive and fast-paced, so we are thrilled our instructional team was there to support you - we also think they're outstanding! Thank you for your review and we wish all the best.
  • Alexander Florian-Prescott • Graduate

This coding bootcamp is a great way for learning JavaScript-powered web devlopment.  My instructor was excellent at conveying the material, and the exercises felt very well thought out for coming to grips with a lot of improtant concepts.  As someone who went in with virtually no programming experience, I was very happy about how much I felt I was able to learn and achieve in just six months, and highly recommend the program for anyone looking to get into this line of work.

Wednesday, May 23 2018
    Thank you for your review, Alexander! We are thrilled you had such a positive experience learning valuable skills through our boot camp. It's great to hear your instructor not only successfully guided you through in-depth course material, but that you also found the exercises to be well-thought-out when it came to understanding key concepts. Congratulations on all the hard work and long hours you invested into completing the boot camp! We wish you the best moving forward.
  • Bad Experience
    - 5/8/2018
    Paul Goodwin • Business Analyst • Student

Buyer beware!  I had a terrible experience in this BootCamp. The TA's in my class were weak at best.  One of them quit a month into the camp, the other one had to be let go.  They routinely sat in the back and talked about personal matters or would go against class teachings. Mainly, they were just not helpful in completing assignments or learning the subject matter.  Job placement is a joke with this program as well.  One of the TAs was just a student from the last class who didn't find a job.  We finally got some good TA's, but it was halfway through the class.

Then there was a problem in my initial group project where a student was abusive to me and other teammates.   I reported the problem to my instructor and to class organizer several times, both of whom told me to tough it out, and it was in my best interest to power through.  I ended up learning nothing on that project and losing a lot of confidence.   It put me further behind.

Our instructor and the curriculum are really good, but all the other needed support is lacking.  No one in my class who was working full time was able to keep up and its even harder to keep up when the class is run this poorly.  I ended up giving up on this class and am just working through the curriculum at my own at my pace at home.  I have a lot of IT experience, so this is actually working much better for me!  In summation, its not a complete loss, but i definitely don't feel i got the value promised.

Thursday, May 17 2018
    Thank you for your review, Paul. We're glad you enjoyed our curriculum and found our instructor to be knowledgeable and supportive. We regret to hear your time with your initial TAs did not meet your expectations due to staff changes. We do monitor instructional team performance through weekly feedback surveys and classroom assessments, and we are glad that you found the newer TAs to be more helpful.

While we do not secure direct employment for our students, we empower them with the resources and support they need to prepare them for the workforce and the job search. Our team strives to be clear about the scope of our career services from the beginning so that students understand how they can maximize this aspect of the program. Our career services curriculum includes 1:1 coaching with a Career Director, technical interview preparation, portfolio assistance, resume support, a project demo day, and more. We do take student feedback like yours seriously, and continuously work to provide students with the support they need to be successful.

Group projects are intended to simulate experiences that students may encounter within a team of web developers in the real world. We strive to recreate a collaborative atmosphere found in many professional web development positions and recognize not every individual effectively learns in this manner. Unfortunately, in any workplace, you may not always be grouped with like-minded individuals and we regret you had a sub-par experience with your teammate. We take any reports of abuse or mistreatment most seriously, and it is never our intention to make students feel as though they should remain in a situation they are not comfortable with. We were happy to address all your concerns and believed, based on our previous conversations, we had provided the necessary support and assistance you requested, moving forward with a tailored study plan to best fit your needs.

It is our goal for all students to successfully learn the material in our curriculum and leave the program feeling confident in their skills. I have attempted to check in, but have not been able to reach you. I would love the opportunity to hear from you personally and see what we can do to provide any and all additional support you might need at this time, making sure you are able to successfully finish out the program. Please contact me directly at (919) 425-0055 so we can further discuss your concerns.
  • Philippe Dixon • Student

I came into this program with  only a small amout of prior programming experience.  And that mostly came from online courses and sites learning on my own.  After a lot of research into other programs in the area I settled on the UNC boot camp and I'm glad to say I'm not disappointed.  I began the course barely able to put up a simple web page and left writing and deploying stand alone web applications complete with server code and a database.  It's a thorough curriculum that will not only make you competent in full stack web development but also give you the tools to continue to grow and learn new technologies that arrive in the ever changing world of software development.

Tuesday, May 22 2018
    Congratulations on completing the program, Philippe! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review, it was a pleasure to have you in our course. We’re thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience, as it’s our goal to provide a comprehensive learning experience for all of our students, ranging from those individuals who may have more experience to novice self-starters. This is an immersive and challenging course, so we commend you for all of the long hours and hard work you put in - it definitely paid off. We wish you all the best as you continue on your new career path!
  • Michael • Student

I really enjoyed my time in the Bootcamp. It's tough, challenging, and can be overwhelming at times, but the sense of accomplishment that you get when overcoming these obstacles is one of the best feeling in the world. The classroom materials are excellent, and the instructors and staffs are extremely helpful and passionate about their job; always willing to go the extra miles to help their students, even late at night. The technologies that I learned are very relevant to the job market's demand, and compared to six months, my skills as a developer grow tremedously. I feel very prepared to face the job market after graduation.

Monday, May 07 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, Michael! As you mentioned, this course is challenging, so we applaud your dedication and hard work. That sense of accomplishment when you figure out a complex coding problem is definitely one of the best feelings! We’re really passionate about what we do, so it's terrific to hear you enjoyed our curriculum and that our team provided you with the guidance and support you needed. Congratulations on completing the course, we wish you continued success in all your future endeavors!
  • Austin Johnson • Graduate

For anyone looking for an honest opinion about the UNC coding bootcamp....I finished in December 17 and will give my opinion.  The curriculum is created by trilogy and is used at many bootcamps they host.  It is good and there are great examples provided for each subject, but it is just an overview of each topic. You learn enough to have a basic “working” knowledge of each language.  You must take that and go deeper into the languages yourself. This is really at any bootcamp because there is so much taught in a short time.  Overall, I was happy with the academic portion of the class.  It was challenging, but I had great teachers.....HOWEVER.....if you are like me and many of the students who take this course with the intention of finding a job after....I MUST WARN YOU......the career services is completely aweful....they promise a lot of things throughout the course and very little of them happened...... I hope that they improve this for the students sake....but as of now....CAREER SERVICES IS A JOKE.....you would be better off not even using them.....This has been my experience and that of many of my fellow students....

Monday, Mar 05 2018
    Congratulations on completing the program, Austin. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with our program, and we're glad to hear that you enjoyed the curriculum and instruction you received.

Our career services are built on the principle of empowerment, and while we do not secure direct employment for our students, we empower them with the necessary tools and support to be employer competitive in today's job market. Our students receive access to career coaching, portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, behavioral interview training, and more to get them equipped to tackle the job search process. Were these services helpful?

Our team strives to be clear about the scope of our career services from the beginning so that our students understand how they can get the most out of this aspect of the program. We understand that your cohort is still within its post-graduation career support time window. Please allow us the opportunity to provide you with any further career planning assistance that we can at this time. You may contact me directly at (919) 425-0055 so that we can discuss your needs further.

• Miles Helm • Graduate

Our instructor mentioned on the first day that the people who do best in the class are usually those who spend the most time outside of class studying and doing homework assignments and projects. Although it is true that with this course you get out of it what you put into it, there is a great deal of support from the instructor and the teaching assistants. You aren't left alone, and if you are struggling with a concept they will work hard to make sure you really understand the subject matter. For example, they don't just help you debug, they will explain the underlying reason for the bug (often not at all obvious) and make sure you have the tools to better find bugs in the future.

The most pleasant surprise for me in taking this course was how much the instructor and TAs loved the subject matter and wanted us, the students, to really understand it.

The curriculum is intended to prepare you for real programming work. It does teach you how to create a full website, from the front-end to the database.

I worked full-time while taking this course, but I had some advantages in having past experience as a software developer (and with computers in general). I think that if computer programming is completely foreign to you, it would be better to take this course without working full-time at the same time. But if programming and computer science aren't completely foreign topics, it's possible to work full-time and take this course. Either way, be sure to get plenty of sleep.

Monday, Sep 18 2017
    Thank you so much for your review, Miles! We love hearing that your instructors and TAs worked hard to ensure that our students understand the course material. We’re so proud of our team for showing their passion for web development and student success.

It’s incredible to hear that you had such a positive experience with this program. Congratulations on completing the course, we wish you nothing but the best of luck as you move forward in your career.
  • Life-Changing
    Michael Eggers • Graduate

My overall experience with the boot camp was a great one. It was a lot of hard work, but I learned a ton in a very short amount of time. More so than the knowledge learned, the confidence built from working hands on to create apps with course technologies and experiencing first hand how much can be learned with enough focus and dedication was the greatest takeaway from the course.

Additionally, working with the other classmates and the networking that spawned from that was of huge benefit.

Finally, the instructional team for our class was excellent. Nick, Ryo, and Leo saw us through many challenges, and I felt that their enthusiasm for the course materials and our growth as students was a big help during more stressful sections of the course.

Hi Michael,

We really appreciate your review. We understand that this course can be challenging, so we commend you on all of your hard work.

We love hearing that you learned valuable new skills from caring instructors, gained confidence in your abilities, and formed a lasting network with your peers. Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you the best of luck moving forward.
  • Houston Breedlove • Full stack developer • Graduate

When choosing a coding bootcamp three major criteria should be taken into account: does the staff genuinely care about student success, is course content valid for career aspirations, and does the course's curriculum effectively leave students with skills needed to be effective in a professional environment?

The Coding Boot Camp at UNC Chapel Hill delivered on every level.  Course management was engaging and took time to engage with students and their career aspirations. Course instruction was very knowledgable on topics covered in class and presented the course information effectively. Teaching Assistants went out of their way to support students whenever assistance was required.

Personally, I was fortunate enough to land a full time position at a local SaaS company before the course ended and felt more than prepared by the course.

I have nothing but positive feedback to provide from the course and recommend it to anyone considering enrolling!

Tuesday, Sep 19 2017
    Congratulations on your full time position with a local SaaS company, Houston! We’re thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience with this program, and that you enjoyed the course management, instruction, and curriculum. We hope you’re proud of all the hard work you put into completing this course. We’re cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Anonymous • Graphic Designer • Graduate

Great Experience! Even though it was stressful at many (most) times, the support from the instructor and TA's where outstanding. They were always there to help. Even if you were completely lost, they made every effort to get you on track. Over the corse of 6 months, everyone really did become a bit of a coding family.

This was a fast paced corse, and an excellent opportunity to add a whole host of new skills to my resume. My goal was to be able to add on to an existing skillset and be able to get myself better prepared for a possible career change. As intense as the corse was at times, it really did go by very quickly. I went into this with absolutely zero coding ability. I still have my work cut out for me, but things are not nearly as daunting anymore!

I'm truly looking forward to implementing my new skills and see what it brings!

Wednesday, May 22 2019
    Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team and made lasting connections within your cohort. Congratulations on successfully completing the program! We wish you continued success as you move forward.
  • Anonymous • Tr • Graduate

I did not have the experience that many bootcampers have expressed.  I expressed concerns many times while taking this course.  The standard response I received was "Don't worry it will all come together in the end".  Although I spent many hours studying and researching topics, it did not all come together in the end.  I would recommend spending $10.99 and purchasing the Udemy course Web Developer Bootcamp by Colt Steele.  When this course is complete purchase the Advanced Web Developer Bootcamp by Colt Steele for $10.99.  There are many courses on Udemy to learn Web Development.  When you finish Colt's classes you will have a very clear understanding of Full Stack Web Development and save thousands of dollars.  One final note, everyone who attended the UNC Coding Bootcamp in my class received the Certificate of Completion, even those who had many classes absences and did not complete all the assignments.

Monday, Sep 24 2018
    Hi Anonymous, thank you for your feedback. From your review, we understand you may have not had previous coding experience and do not feel that you were able to successfully master the material. We designed our curriculum to teach individuals across varying proficiency levels, from those with more knowledge to true beginners. Before starting the boot camp, all students are provided 30 hours of pre-work, and we do recommend that those without prior experience spend extra time on free online tutorials in addition to the pre-work.

Upon starting the course, we begin by covering the basics, building a solid foundation on which students can continue to expand. Each lesson iteratively builds on the last, and we find that as the curriculum progresses, students feel more and more confident in the material. We strive to make sure students are clear before enrolling that they will also need to spend 20-30 hours a week studying outside of class to be job-ready by graduation.

Because we know this is a challenging course, we do offer several means of support. Our instructors hold office hours before and after every class to provide 1:1 support, along with weekly walk-throughs to expand upon upcoming topics and reinforce prior concepts. Our free tutoring network is also always available for those who request additional assistance. All classes are also recorded so that students can access and refer back to any lesson if they need to review the material further. Were you able to take advantage of these resources?

We work with all of our students' when it comes to unexpected situation-specific absences. In these instances, individuals are still able to fulfill their program responsibilities by watching class videos, attending tutoring and remote classes when possible, and submitting outstanding homework and projects. Once these conditions are met, students are able to successfully graduate and receive their certificate of completion.

We sincerely care about our students, and it is our goal for all individuals to complete the program feeling equipped with the knowledge and resources to find the right tech role. If there is any other way in which we can support you at this time to ensure that you feel confident in your skills, please reach out to us at (919) 425-0055.
  • Raleigh Grad
    - 9/3/2018

I waited until I was close to a year removed from finishing the program so that I could write I very honest and not emotional review.

I will preface this with I had an amazing experience and I landed a great job at one of the top companies in the Triangle. Trilogy's strength are great and their weaknesses are terrible. One of there weaknesses is their non-existent acceptance criteria. Most people in the class did not complete there pre class assignments and I would say 10-20% should not have been allowed in for the simple fact that they had such little experience that they were so far behind from day 1 and they never had a chance to catch up. It was not fair, they were set up for failure and wasted their money. For the people that were prepared we hit the ground running from day 1. The amount of learning that takes place is in incredible. My Teacher and TA's were amazing. They cared about our success and they worked very hard. I still keep in touch with all of them. The other co-hort going on at the same time did not have as good of a teacher and TAs and they had a much lower success rate. I thank God that I got the teachers that I did. Our Student Success Manager (not to be confused with career services) was great as well.

Trilogy does give you a very fair expectation of how much work this class is going to take and how much time is necessary in and out of class. I would say maybe 25% of the capable students actually put in the amount of time Trilog suggest 20-40 hours outside of class. There was a huge difference between those students and the ones that didn't. I put in on average 30 hours outside of class with a Full-time job so it is possible. The curriclum was great other than you spend 2 weeks learning .net and C# impossible and a waste of time. Also, the part of class where you are learning while doing the final projects is also impossible (testing and algorithms) because the final project is expected to be in React which nobody had a grasp on so everybody is giving all their time and effort into completing that.

The two biggest negatives outside of the lack of acceptance vetting is that students who did not put in effort and did not complete there projects or homework assignments (but did turn them in) graduated with the same certificate that people who busted there ass did. Not fair to either group.

The career services did nothing for me and I tried to engage and work with them. They also never gave anyone an honest expectation of how much work was going to be required after class for them to find employment(continuing ed, interview prepe, resume / portfolio / networking). Our career service person was also negative and was never completely forthcoming. At one point she was encouraging me to learn PHP and word press "becuase there is high demand there" which was here being lazing and pushing blame back on me. She also told me I should expect a job for less that half of the salary of the job I ended up taking because "low starting salaries" in my area. I would say out of the 40 - 50 people in my cohort I am one of 3 that I know of that found full time role as a developer in 6 months. A few got lesser roles still in IT or partime / contract and To be fair there were several people that got promotions at there current employer and I am sure the knowledge gained from the program had something to do with that. YOU WILL NOT BE HIREABLE upon completing the class, but you will be on your way if you continue to put in the same amount of work you did while in class.

My conclusion is I LOVED the class, but if you do not have a little bit of a self taugh background and the drive to put in 40-50 hours a week into this during and after the class you are wasting your money. If you expect career services to do anything other than send you crappy jobs listings to apply to (that often don't match the skills from class and all you classmates are also getting and applying to) you are wasting your money.

Be honest with yourself before spending your money this is not a silver bullet and there are no short cuts.

Monday, Sep 10 2018
    Hi Anonymous, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're thrilled to hear you had an amazing student experience and landed a great job at a top company. Our instructors and SSMs love hearing about the transformative impact they've made on students' lives.

We appreciate your personal account on how we can continue to improve the program. In the time since your graduation, we've taken significant steps towards enhancing many of the areas you mentioned with a specific focus on career services. These updates have been met with positive input, and we're continually working to get better.

For example, a recent career services change we've made is to offer more in-depth assistance to our 'Seven Milestones to Become Employer Competitve.' While we do not secure direct employment for our students', this comprehensive approach prepares and coaches individuals to find the right role for them through: technical interview training, portfolio reviews, resume/social media profile support, online Tech Talk panels, and one-on-one meetings with their Career Director starting approximately one month before completing the course and continuing for up to three months post-graduation. As you mentioned, it's crucial for individuals to continue developing their skills, particularly after concluding the course. We believe this approach, along with our students' hard work and commitment, will truly supplement their job search.

We understand you would have preferred for some of your classmates to have more experience and prior knowledge. We designed our curriculum to teach individuals across various proficiency levels, and do have a multi-step admissions screening process. During this time, we evaluate individuals to ensure they are aware of the extensive time they will have to dedicate to their studies and are truly committed to their boot camp journey. Upon being accepted, students are provided with 30 hours of pre-work and we recommend beginners to spend additional time on free online tutorials.

Once classes begin, our instruction centers around teaching students' how to learn. This strong foundation equips individuals with the necessary skills and capabilities to continue learning new concepts on their own. Since our program is fast-paced and challenging, we continue to assist our students' through weekly tutoring, office hours, and personal guidance with the help of our SSM. We truly appreciate your insight, as we seek to continuously improve our curriculum.

We know the amount of hard work and dedication it takes to complete such an immersive course and commend you for all your achievements. At this time, we would welcome any other helpful suggestions you may have. If you would like, please reach out to us directly at (919) 425-0055. We wish you all the success moving forward!
  • No Regrets
    - 9/8/2017

I started the bootcamp in February of this year, but even before that there was a lot of people reaching out and making sure I was fully prepared for what was ahead of me.  From career services to instructors, everyone was extremely outgoing and helpful, I never felt like them helping me was not a top priority. The course itself was extremely challenging and almost 100% hands-on learning. I had tried to pick up programming in the past, with little to show for it, but after only 6 months in this bootcamp I've learned more than I thought was possible.  I have nothing but good things to say about this program and have already recommended it to friends so that they can experience what I have as well.

Tuesday, Sep 19 2017
    Thank you for your review! It’s fantastic that you had such a positive experience with our program. It makes us incredibly proud of our team to hear that they provided you with the help and support you needed during your boot camp journey.

We’re thrilled to have earned your recommendation, as the student experience is our top priority. Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.