thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Atlanta, Austin, Austin, Baltimore, Boise, Boston, Boulder, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Hartford, Houston, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madison, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, New York City, New York City, Oakland, Online, Orlando, Orlando, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Richmond, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online bootcamp that offers online, fast-paced, career-ready programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Product Management, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time course, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll.  Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. Thinkful also offers a tuition refund guarantee for qualifying courses, as well as an expanding list of payment support options.

Thinkful’s programs include the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, Data Analytics Flex, and Digital Marketing Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students can join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have stricter admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.58

all (625) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (95) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Data Visualization, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, SQL, Python
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Digital Marketing Immersion

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    The fastest way to launch your marketing career. Create campaigns and analyze results as you learn relevant, up-to-date technical skills. Showcase your knowledge with an interview-ready portfolio that stands out and earns job offers. Enroll now, and pay nothing until you’ve graduated and landed a job.
    Options:
  • Engineering Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • Technical Project Management Immersion

The fastest path to a project management career. Learn to leverage the tools used by top employers in this full-time, online course. Work through a project-based course that builds your portfolio with the support of industry experts, a rigorous curriculum, and paired workshops.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.

• Colin • Student

I had my doubts about a fully online course and my ability to succeed at it, but a few weeks in and I knew I had made the right choice. My mentor is amazing, the course work is fun and engaging, and the best part is I have found a balance of my day-to-day life and course work.

Keep up the good work!

• Anthony Hill  User Photo
    Anthony Hill • Front End Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I come from a sales background and fell in love with software development through self-study and getting to know engineers I had met through work. I chose to study with Thinkful full-stack flex because I liked that I could work as fast as I wanted and I liked the tech they were teaching. I thought since I had self-studied, I could finish much faster than the allotted six months, but oh boy was I wrong… You really have to put in major hours (>30 hours) a week to get through the course work, but I think my desire to have a complete understanding of each topic really slowed me down and could have played a factor in my slowness. Overall I finished in 8 months.

The part that saved me was my mentor. I had a great relationship with him and he was able to connect with me on a level other than just “here’s how to code this”. I was able to talk through my stupid questions and even talk through imposter syndrome insecurities. Meeting twice a week via zoom really was the highlight of my week, but, I would recommend having a shared doc that you can write down questions throughout the week so there’s no wasted time during the meeting.

Having a mentor helped me understand that even though they were already a software engineer, they still had to google certain stuff and we spent tons of time debugging together.

The course work itself was very text-heavy but was written in a way that was easy for me to comprehend. I found that if I had trouble with a particular concept, I could pull up Youtube or find articles online that could help me (which is an important skill to have). If I wasn’t satisfied with what I found, I knew that I could write it down and talk it over with my mentor in a few days.

An aspect that Thinkful fails at (while I was there) was the community. They really push that the slack channel is a great place to connect with other devs, but I found that we were often on completely different parts of the curriculum so I couldn’t either find help with a topic or wasn’t able to chat comfortably on topics they were on. Also, there was no real “hang out” chatting—it was basically only tech help. (This improved as I was nearing the end of my time as I think they improved a bit on their processes with putting people in cohorts).

Another thing I wish they had spent more time on was teaching the very basic fundamentals of web technology. I learned how to use tools, but didn’t truly deeply understand what was happening underneath the hood. I’ve had to really push myself during my interview phase to look up and read a lot of material on some of the "why" things work.

Overall, I am very happy with my decision to attend Thinkful. It taught me how to find solutions to problems I was encountering, which I’ve learned is such an important skill on the job. I’m lucky to have been able to find a job as a front end developer within 6 months of graduating with the help of their career services—my resume always shined and I was confident I was putting my best foot forward. In the end, the mentor sessions were invaluable in my success as a student and I'll continue to carry those lessons with me in my first role.
  • Codi Martin  User Photo
    Codi Martin • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    With no hope in academia I decided on a career change and signed up for Thinkful's Data Science Flex course. The one-on-one mentorship was stellar. I learned so much and was able to land a data scientist position within two months after finishing, even in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic! However, I think it's important to note that I have a graduate degree which definitely helped boost my resume.

I wish there was a bit more SQL in the curriculum, along with more stats; otherwise, I thought all of the material covered was fantastic; there were even job-focused modules that focused on networking, cold outreaching, resume writing, etc. You really need to put in a lot of work and effort to be successful. Even though the "Flex" version of the course is part time, it's very easy to fall behind if you are not careful. Taking this course was one of the best decisions I've made in the last decade. Thank you Thinkful!

Codi

• Anais Nesheim-Sanchez   User Photo
    Anais Nesheim-Sanchez • Data Entry Clerk • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program really helped me out. I learned everything I needed to know for my new job as a data entry clerk. I suggest to everyone writing out notes and saving every assignment as this program moves very fast. Also, never be afraid to ask questions to a anyone- mentors, other students, teachers, and TAs. The most helpful part of this was the paired sessions, the mentosions and the resume help. The career coaching helped me stay on track in the job search.
  • Ellen Hoffman  User Photo
    Ellen Hoffman • Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I chose to study Data Science at Thinkful because they offered a remote, flexible program and a tuition reimbursement if I didn't land a job in 6 months after graduating. Remote study is definitely challenging, but I felt supported by Thinkful's staff throughout. I was especially impressed with my mentor, who I met with biweekly, and the other Data Scientists and Analysts who provided feedback on my projects and mock interviews. The team is great! The curriculum is good too. After completing the program, I have a working knowledge of a variety of data science solutions. Delving deeper into subject matter is definitely up to the student. My mentor was great at expounding on areas I wanted to learn more about, and of course there are plenty of resources online to supplement. If I could change any part of the curriculum, I would add more opportunities to practice SQL. Ultimately, I had a great experience at Thinkful, and I would recommend the program to anyone interested in preparing for a career in data science or analysis!
  • James Higgs  User Photo
    James Higgs • Front End Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Deciding Between Bootcamps:

If you feel that you can manage your own schedule and be persistent in regards to holding yourself accountable and keeping on track then I would say Thinkful is the bootcamp for you. The cost is very reasonable when compared to other bootcamps. You'll absolutely have no problem at succeeding if you're actually determined to make a career shift.

My Background:

I was working as an architectural drafter/designer for roughly 7 years and I had no software engineering experience prior to Thinkful except experimenting with Codecademy and freeCodeCamp. I was disappointed with the industry I was working in and decided to change careers. To give you some perspective, I was 32 years old when starting this journey. I'm now 33 and employed as a front end developer.

School Structure:

- The curriculum is very upfront in regards to when assignments are due, when your mentor and manager sessions are, and where you need to go to get assistance. The biggest advantage of being in a bootcamp is that it provides you structure. For most people, learning this material on your own is very difficult.

Time Management:

- For this program they recommend a certain number of hours per week but that number was actually way under the amount of time I should have been spending. I quickly learned this as I was falling behind within a month of the course. You really need to treat this course as a full-time job if you want to finish on time and obtain the "job guarantee" (graduate within 6 months).

- If you plan on working full-time and take this course you will not graduate on time unless you are one of the the 3% of people who power through, doing 80 hours of work per week. I learned this the hard way by having to purchase extra time to graduate.

- If you do fall behind, you can use your "pause weeks" strategically to make up for lost time.

- This is extremely fast-paced, but they did structure it so that everything is broken down into readable and maintainable parts. You will be learning relevant tech stacks that employers are looking for, which is incredibly important.

- Some of the curriculum is sloppy however with typos and inconsistencies. They will sometimes jump to conclusions showing you how to go from A to B but failing to mention that you need to incorporate C ("C" being something that you learned two months previously in the course but they do not remind you how to implement it).

- I had five different mentors (instructors). My first mentor wouldn't show up for our meetings. I then got assigned another mentor who was competent but due to no fault of his own, he was from Spain and had a very think accent and it was difficult to talk about these often complicated concepts. I then got assigned another mentor who was great but he eventually left to pursue a new job working with AI. I then got assigned another mentor who was competent but he really did not put in any effort to assist me. I then got assigned my last mentor who was very knowledgable though he often had to reschedule our meetings.

- Thinkful also has "office hours" where you can seek assistance from a mentor but you're in a session with other students as well. This is really hit or miss. I've found some mentors to be very helpful and go out of their way to help every student that attends the office hours. I've also seen some mentors who don't even show up to their own office hours.

- Thinkful also has "technical coaching" which is conducted over Slack and is not very helpful roughly 80% of the time.

- My experience with Thinkful Careers was incredible. I was lucky to have an awesome coach who gave me a lot of great advice and was very willing to give me constructive feedback in regards to my job search and the various techniques I was using.

- She was also very empathetic to us graduates who were looking for an entry level job during a pandemic!

- I ultimately got a full-time job as a front end developer with the assistance of Thinkful Careers and I think they do an incredible job at guiding you through the job hunting process.

- The curriculum can be very difficult and frustrating at times. This is good to go through however since the experience on the job is somewhat similar in regards to having to continually learn new concepts in a software engineering position.

- It's affordable, convenient, and transparent.

- There are times where you will feel like you're lost, give yourself time, and know that it will click. Software engineering is not an easy career it really takes time and perseverance.
  • Joseph R  User Photo
    Joseph R • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I want to preface this by saying that I started in the February 2020 cohort and had mild programming experience before joining the Bootcamp. The biggest thanks I can give to Thinkful is the monthly stipend I was approved for, as that allowed me to dedicate time to the Bootcamp as I would a full-time job.

Before joining the Bootcamp I had learned some HTML and CSS, with the basics of JavaScript. I had been jumping between Udemy courses and other sources like TeamTreehouse and FreeCodeCamp since the summer of 2018. Albeit I did learn how to develop very simple websites, but nothing where I needed to be to be job-ready. I had been looking at bootcamps over the past few years and Thinkful always stood out. I decided to go with them as they had 2 main things I was looking for: Full Stack JavaScript AND Remote experience. Especially with all the concerns over COVID-19 now, the remote experience will be a huge benefit as well as focusing in on one programming language and focusing more on concepts.

The teaching structure of the course is definitely well-structured and you can tell they have a good team behind that. From guiding you from front-end development to back-end with some data structures & algorithms practice, the Bootcamp gives you what you need to grow into the role you're most interested in. That along with the support from your fellow classmates, instructors, and mentors, there is no way you can't go without getting the help you need. And THAT was most important in helping me be job-ready. Prior to learning newer, more in-demand technologies in this bootcamp, I realized that I lacked the confidence that I wasn't able to find just learning these concepts on my own. Having a team of instructors with years of experience helped me actually put confidence in myself that I could indeed be a software developer.

Overall I'm more than grateful to have taken the Engineering Immersion Bootcamp. I've developed important soft skills, made relationships that I'll carry on to my new career, and got the opportunity to spend hours upon hours of coding that have given me the confidence to work in the field. I only give the Job Assitance rating 4 stars as I've only done the job preparation modules while a student in the course and those alone have helped me get my name out there more. As a graduate, I'll be paired with my own Careers Coach to help me along with the job search portion of it. I couldn't recommend Thinkful enough!
  • Austin Tumlinson  User Photo
    Austin Tumlinson • React Native Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Full in depth course, fast tracked, zero to hero. Great classes, curriculum, and especially mentorship! I would not be where I am today if it was not for my mentor and career coach with all their help!
  • Data Science Flex
    - 7/29/2020
    Crystal Yang  User Photo
    Crystal Yang • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was looking for a data science program because self studying wasn't doing it for me - I lacked motivation and self discipline.  I picked Thinkful because it was cheap AND had good employment rates after graduation.  Having to meet with a mentor twice a week was enough to keep me motivated and on track.  The curriculum gives you a good foundation, but there were some areas I felt I needed to supplement material (SQL and stats in particular).  While I was in the program, they were actively changing the curriculum though, so hopefully this has been improved.  Something I especially appreciated was all the career related help they offered during the program.  This means working on your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile in addition to multiple mock interviews.  The mock interviews were nerve wracking, but they really helped me breakdown what I did well and what needed improving, so when it came time to doing a real interview it wasn't too bad.

After graduation, you are paired with a career coach and this was amazing.  In the data science/analytics program, you get to meet with other data grads who are also job seeking and share advice/links/stories with each other.  I definitely enjoyed connecting with other grads since it made the job hunting experience less lonely.  Thinkful really encourages you to develop your own network and connections, but they do have people behind the scenes working their own connections.  This is how I got my job offer even in the midst of the pandemic (July 2020), 4 months after graduating Thinkful.

Overall, if you are looking for a career change/finding a job, I'd recommend Thinkful.
  • Megan Dibble  User Photo
    Megan Dibble • Global Solutions Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I definitely recommend the data science program at Thinkful! I enjoyed doing the flex one specifically because it was less money and more flexible so I could learn at my own pace. Being paired with. Mentor really helped since it was basically self taught. Wouldn’t recommend this specific one though if you have a hard time being self motivated or are not used to learning/troubleshooting on your own.
  • LaBarin  B. Crosby Sr.  User Photo
    LaBarin B. Crosby Sr. • Data Analyst • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I Want the world to know about My School Thinkful, for a person that had minimal experience working with Excel and Powerpoint, I took on a beast when i encountered the immersion program at Thinkful my Academic Success Manager Encouraged me from day one, (Cali Stephans) and all of the Mentors (Jay Padhya) TA's Instructors After hours Teachers (Jason Flick, Teddy Aronson, Walter Shields, Adam Spannbauer ) and lets just say the staff as a whole gave me the tools necessary to complete the course with minimal to almost no real struggle, if you really apply yourself, they will be there to assist you, to equip you with a life changing skill that will literally change your Life. Again I want to Say Thank you to the Thinkful Staff for guiding me through this Rough Rough Journey God Bless, I will make all of you Proud of my accomplishments.
  • Katya   User Photo
    Katya • Co-founder • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Joining a boot camp was one of the best investments I ever made. The education they give you is practical to today’s world, and it is the latest marketing insights and trends you can find!
  • Kristine P  User Photo
    Kristine P • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The support system is stable, and the community is excellent. Regardless of which Bootcamp you picked, the curriculum would be similar. It will give you the basics and different degrees of complexities. The thing that you can't fabricate is the community. I met excellent and supporting friends in my journey that I was so proud to be a part of it. The instructors and staff are my cheerleaders and therapist. You see, I'm working full time and a single mom, and you could imagine what type of hurdles comes my way. You won't be successful if you not have a sound support system with you. Thinkful has it all.

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here