thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, and design. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (513) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (79) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, SQL, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    Rolling Start Date
    Online, Detroit, Atlanta, Washington, Los Angeles, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, Dallas, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Austin, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    Self-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    Rolling Start Date
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Intermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    September 30, 2019
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Advanced degree
    September 30, 2019 - OnlineApply by August 4, 2019
    November 18, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
    January 2, 2020 - OnlineApply by December 11, 2019
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/pricing/#financing
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 21, 2019
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
    Options:https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/full-time/#payment-options
    October 21, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 2, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - OnlineApply by November 18, 2019
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 2, 2019
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/nights-weekends/#pricing
    October 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 2, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - OnlineApply by November 18, 2019
  • Product Design Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/product-design/flexible/#pricing

• Brittany Renz-Lopez  User Photo
    Brittany Renz-Lopez • Student Verified via GitHub

Before finding Thinkful I was lost, uncertain of what I would make of my future. I had drive but I did not know where to apply it or what my prospects were of achieving purpose or success in any of the options that were put before me career-wise. I have since found that guidance in Thinkful via my wonderful mentor (shoutout to Aaron) and the excellent support system that makes up the rest of the community. The curriculum and resources are very thorough and the staff is very accommodating. I have found great benefit from the program as a whole so far and would recommend it to anyone seeking a career in web development or feeling lost as I once was.

• One Bad Apple
    - 9/7/2019
    Kelli  User Photo
    Kelli • Student Verified via GitHub

This review is highly detailed, as it needs to be to fully outline my experience of being removed from Thinkful’s Engineering Immersion Prep Course.

After years of apprehension towards pursuing Programming, and approximately 1 year of considering Thinkful, Inc. as my final choice for a school, in August of 2019, I applied to attend Thinkful’s Engineering Immersion Program and was accepted.  I had a great interaction with one of Thinkful’s admission advisors as he explained how admission, prep course and the EI course would work and we discussed my financing options.

I live in a major city so the living stipend was an option for me; I applied for the living stipend and the ISA (Income Share Agreement) issued via Lief Technologies, Inc.
    I was approved for both the living stipend and the ISA the day after I applied and signed the contract as well.  Things were going off without a hitch and I was very excited to get started.

I met with my Program Manager who gave me plenty of resources of how to stay connected while in the prep course.  She made sure that I knew of the various avenues of community help and even local communities in my area; all things that allow a person to feel & remain grounded while studying in what may feel like an isolated environment, as distance/online learning can feel like at times.  I credit 2 of her correspondences with me on tech evaluation preparation and progress in the program as one of the primary reasons I remained motivated throughout the latter part of my stay in the prep course.

During Thinkful’s 4-week prep course, you are assigned to a mentor who you meet with twice a week to help iron out any kinks in your understanding the material that you would study independently for those 4 weeks.  My mentor was [redacted by moderators]
    The dynamic with this mentor who was assigned to me wasn’t as harmonious as it could have been and we definitely had different teaching/learning styles and a few too many awkward silences where he didn’t control the flow of the session, but given the return on investment of a career change and being approved for the living stipend and ISA, it was a simple decision to just take these biweekly sessions on the chin, use the opportunity to learn all that I could and push through the material, as not all partnerships will be ideal. Not to mention, this was only the prep course and not someone who I would be assigned to for the duration of the course.

During my second to last session with [redacted by moderators], we’d gone over a few principles and he gave me some code to practice and told me to practice writing the code over and over in order to drill in the syntax; no problem there.  In all of our sessions, I made sure to fork what we’d worked on, or copy and paste the code to practice it in a separate editor, but NEVER would I change or add to the code he wrote during a mentor session.
    The next day when I was practicing the syntax he wrote, none of the code would run.
    Additionally, this rang true for the rest of the code he asked me to practice from the repl.it file we were working on that previous session.  NONE of the code worked!
    So during our next and last session, after our initial greetings, I asked him “Is the code we were working on the other day supposed to run?  I was practicing writing it and none of it runs in the editor and I’d like to get it cleaned up so I’m practicing the correct syntax.”
    To which, he passive-aggressively replied, “Can you give me a link so I know what you’re talking about?”
    And instead of cleaning up the code I brought to his attention, he immediately began to shift gears and began reviewing and teaching me the same code block that was incorrect, and quizzing me on the code.  I reiterated that my primary concern was to make sure this code is written correctly so I wouldn’t be committing incorrect syntax to memory.  Also, I just wanted to be able to cover new material in this session after the code was corrected.
    He insisted on reviewing, after which he removed the incorrect pieces of code at the end.
    This happened over 2 blocks of code I brought to his attention.

He then wrote an exercise he wanted me to write code for and I noticed it was the same exercise with precisely the same instructions from our previous session; code that he wrote and corrected in the end.
    So I reviewed that exercise and wrote what I saw in the earlier exercise.  He asked me why I wrote this “anti-code” and I showed him the code that had his instructions word-for-word attached to the exercise and it mirrored the exact exercise we were currently working on and I told him I was just reviewing the code he wrote in the same exercise in our previous session.
    [Mentor name redacted by moderators] then became very defensive and said he didn’t write it and accused me having changed code after-session.
    All of this immediately after cleaning up code he'd written and had instructed me to practice.

I wasn’t very pleased with how this session went, so I emailed my Program Manager because I remember she mentioned I could contact her if I needed to. I asked if we could arrange a time for consultation before our next scheduled meeting.
    My goal in that meeting would have been ensuring that, if possible, I could be assigned another mentor for the duration of my stay in prep course and any additional study materials for the upcoming technical evaluation I was on track to take.
    I never received a response to that email.

Later that afternoon however, I received an email from my program manager stating that my mentor reported that I had violated the code of conduct and displayed disrespectful behavior during the session and that I would be withdrawn from the prep course effective that day.
    I was never questioned about the session by Thinkful.
    My reaching out to the program manager wasn’t taken into consideration, no investigation whatsoever.
    It was just a staff employee’s word over a student’s.
    I replied to the program manager that I did in fact have questions and I hoped that the sessions were recorded at the very least.
    I received no response.

My advise to other student hopefuls is if you are considering Thinkful or PARTICULARLY if you end up with this mentor is to Cover. Your. Back.
    Keep a record of everything and record your sessions if you don’t think they are going the way they should. Don't shy away from requesting a different mentor if you feel it may be necessary.
    Do not allow one bad apple to ruin your progress, or in this case, cost you the opportunity to be awarded a stipend.
    Onward and Upward!

Response From: Theresa of Thinkful
    Title: Engagement Formats
    Tuesday, Sep 17 2019
    Kelli,

Thank you so much for bringing this matter to our attention and taking time to leave such a thorough review. It’s our goal to find expert mentors who will tailor a curriculum that best fits YOUR study style from day one, to help you achieve your goals.

We will definitely investigate this situation further. If there is anything else you'd like to share about what happened in your prep course experience, please email me directly at theresa@thinkful.com.
  • Kara  User Photo
    Kara • Business Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This course is awful. While they pair you with a mentor and that's a plus, the curriculum is TERRIBLE. There are no videos, there are paragraphs of vague explanations on complex topics (often times riddled with errors), and then a subset of code that is NOT EXPLAINED and you have no idea what each piece is doing. I completed the course successfully and definitely don't feel like I could be a successful data scientist. Don't waste your money--spend a little extra time and money on a course where you will actually learn something.

• Good Overall
    - 8/12/2019
    Dylan  User Photo
    Dylan • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I enrolled in the Full Stack Flex boot camp because I wanted school like structure because I procrastinate without deadlines.  Curriculum is pretty good, but you'll still have to learn a lot by yourself that isn't covered.  I had 2 mentors.  The first was not great.  He missed meetings, didn't go out of his way to teach me anything unless I explicitly asked.  Second one was really good and I wouldn't have graduated on time without him.  They do guarentee a job but only if you complete it the course in 6 months or less.  I got employed about 3 months after graduating and I'm really happy with my job.

• Kelly Harrington  User Photo
    Kelly Harrington • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Starting the Data Science course to this program, I had no computer science background. I had earned a master's in biology 5 years prior and really enjoyed processing the data (Excel, sigma plot and sigma stat). After comparing a few programs, I decided Thinkful was the way to go since they are so sure of the program that they offered a money back guarantee if you don't get a job in the field within six months. I just graduated the program, so I will start my career search now. What I can say about the program is that I learned a TON. Some of it I may never use, but I am glad to have the information. Other info such as the supervised learning techniques I see as indispensible. I started with a mentor who eventually left the company and I therefore ended up with a really helpful mentor half-way through the program. He always gave great advice and was super encouraging. I did not find Slack, the online collaborative chat to be very helpful, as I would often just get responses that sent me to stack overflow links that I had already seen and did not help my situation. I would also say that the timing estimates were not all that accurate for me. Some tasks that were only supposed to take a few days took me weeks. I work 40-50 hours a week and was anticipating dedicating 20 hours to Thinkful but it ended up being closer to 30-35. I used all my pause days as I juggled work, a family emergency, and an unexpected trip so it took me about 8 months to do this six month course. But therein also lies the amazing thing about this program: I was able to balance my life with this program and I came out of it with so much more knowledge than I had 8 months ago. It's cheaper than some of the other programs I looked at as well and for someone who, again, was starting with no foundation, it was necessary to endure a longer program as I don't think I would have understood anything going into a 'Learn Python in a week' course. I also ended up with two different program managers in the course and they were both amazing. Super nice and encouraging and always very quick with their responses and help. I think the curriculum could use some tweaking as some assignments are a bit ambiguous, or show you something simple and then ask you to do something far more complex. Overall though, I learned a lot and was glad to work on real world problems and not just theory during this course.

• Matt Francsis  User Photo
    Matt Francsis • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I enjoyed and strongly recommend Thinkful.

The program is fundamentally a broad, though shallow, overview of the core data science toolkit. It’s primarily designed for people without a coding background. The curriculum features a structured, top-down, conceptual overview of topics and algorithms followed by hands on exercises, challenges, and capstone projects.  Thinkful does not provide a holistic, nor deep-dive, into the math behind the algorithms but the lessons often have links to additional resources for the students to consider in due course. Given that students come from diverse backgrounds, I think this is smart.

The real highlights of Thinkful are the things which go beyond the actual data science curriculum, namely all of the technical support. This includes: one-on-one mentorship multiple times a week, open technical coach "office hours" multiple times a day, an active student message board with mentors available 10 hours every day, and finally, a career support team to assist with your job hunt after graduation. It amazes me that they offer so much personalized technical support.  This is the strength of the program in my eyes.

They created a successful program to lift students into the data science field. I couldn’t have asked for more from a bootcamp.

• Graduate
    - 7/20/2019
    Charla  User Photo
    Charla • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I chose Thinkful over other boot camps because of the cost, the mentorship, and the job guarantee.  My experience has been positive on all fronts.  I can't say enough about my mentor and my program manager, they were the key to my success along with my hard work.  My program manager was there to assist with any questions I had about the program, such as staying on track to graduate on time.  My mentor was patient, helpful and knowledgeable about various Data Science topics. If you don't have the math and programming skills, you will definitely have to put in more time. I am glad I stuck with this course and finished strong.  If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.  It's never too late to start something new!

• Clinton Owen  User Photo
    Clinton Owen • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Apologies for the wall of text that's about to follow! Apparently I had a lot to say, so I hope that some will find it useful.

Overview (TL/DR)

Enrolling at Thinkful is one of the best decisions I've ever made. They have a solid curriculum with staff who are really invested in student success. Not only do you graduate the program having obtained a highly-sought-after skillset, but Thinkful continues to support you in your job search and provides the strategies, resources, and connections that will really help you reach your goal of becoming a Developer.

Why Learn to Code?

I assume that if you're reading this, you've already thought about the answer to that question. For me, I started coding as a side-project when my former company asked me to redesign their website—I had no prior experience, but it was so rewarding to dive in, solve problems on-the-fly, and emerge with something I was really proud of. After taking some time to reflect, I decided that my interests and skills were more aligned with a career in programming.

I found it helpful to figure out my own, personal "why" and think about what I really wanted to get out of this journey. Defining a simple, reasonable, quantitative goal gave me something to aim for and helped me to stay motivated and focused. The goal I came up with for myself was to "obtain a growth-oriented software developer job in the Chicago area within 6 months of graduating from boot camp with a salary that would allow me to comfortably start a family."

One of the first major steps I took was to complete Udacity's "Intro to Computer Science" course, which validated my feelings that this is something I would really enjoy doing. There are many similar resources out there (freeCodeCamp is another good one) where you can get a taste of what being a programmer is all about and decide if it's right for you. Additionally, Thinkful has a mandatory Prep Course (which I'll discuss in more detail later) that also allow you to dip your toes in the water before taking the full plunge.

Why A Boot Camp?

One thing I know about myself is that when I’m trying to learn something on my own, I can spend hours just researching the "best" way to learn it, often to the point of paralysis by analysis. That's why the concept of a boot camp really resonated with me—allowing someone else to handle the "what" and "how" of my education by curating a solid curriculum would help me stay focused and moving forward. My next step was… research!

Why Thinkful?

Using sites like SwitchUp and CourseReport, I created a comparison spreadsheet of all the boot camps I was interested in. Thinkful's Engineering Immersion program checked all the right boxes—it combined the ideal qualities of a modern, comprehensive, project-based curriculum, high-quality teaching staff, regular 1-on-1 mentorship, daily peer collaboration, and outcome-oriented career services. From the glowing reviews of alumni, I got the impression that Thinkful is constantly striving to improve and update the program to the benefit of future student cohorts. So, I decided to take the leap and applied for the July 2018 cohort.

Prior to Starting

After applying to the Engineering Immersion program, I had a phone call with one of Thinkful's program coordinators to make sure that I was a good "culture fit." They mainly wanted to hear about my background and why I was learning to code, answer any questions I had, and go over the next steps.

Then I began the Prep Course, the cost of which went towards the full program tuition. It was 4 weeks long and required a 30 hours/week commitment. The course is designed to get you up to speed on the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. This was mostly self-guided learning using the curriculum they provided, however I was assigned a Mentor during the Prep Course, who I met with twice a week to go over what I was learning and discuss anything I was struggling with or had questions about.

The Prep Course also included a few short lessons on communication and other soft skills which provided some tools and strategies to help you work well in a group environment. I loved that they provided this and it gave me the impression that they really wanted everyone to have a great experience collaborating in our cohort.

Towards the end of the Prep Course, my Mentor helped me prepare for the Technical Evaluation, which you need to pass in order to be admitted to the full-time program. They asked some general questions about the topics covered in the Prep Course and then I had to complete 5 coding challenges using JavaScript.

Once I passed the Technical Evaluation and was admitted into the full-time Engineering Immersion program, I had an orientation session where I got to meet all of the other students in my cohort and got an overview of the program.

The Curriculum

There were four main instructional "units" of the program, each led by a different instructor. After each unit ended, we would schedule a mock interview (similar to the Prep Course Technical Evaluation) which would focus on the material covered in that unit.

1. The first unit (2 weeks) covered JavaScript, jQuery, and how to architect and build asynchronous web applications, culminating in a 3-day solo project where I built my own web app.

2. The second unit (4 weeks) was all about server-side programming, using Node/Express to build RESTful APIs, PostgreSQL and Mongo to build databases. We also learned how to write tests and construct user authentication strategies.

3. The third unit (2 weeks) was dedicated to learning React and Redux, an extremely popular framework for building web apps.

4. The fourth unit (2 weeks) was on data structures and algorithms, a very useful topic to prepare you for programming interviews.

Interspersed between and around these core instructional units, we had about 7 total weeks dedicated to working on projects, both solo and in groups. In the final week of the program, we focused on completing our online portfolios and polishing up our projects in preparation for the job search.

Overall I was extremely impressed with the quality and freshness of the curriculum. One of the program coordinators told me that they try to make at least one substantial update to the program after each cohort of students, and it really shows in the quality and attention to detail of the curriculum. You can tell that Thinkful really cares about what their students think. There are many opportunities to provide feedback, both solicited and unsolicited.

There were a few scattered instances of an outdated or broken link, but that just comes with the territory of a curriculum which is constantly improving and evolving to keep up with the pace of the industry.

Thinkful was really, really good about teaching us to be independent developers. There was some necessary hand-holding in the beginning as we learned the basics, but they pretty quickly transitioned us to working both independently and on group projects where it was really up to us to come up with an idea, organize the projects, research different technologies that might be useful, study documentation, and work autonomously.

A Typical Day

Class started at 9am (Central) every morning with a lecture by the lead instructor for that unit of the curriculum. This was typically about an hour long and was held in a group chat room where we could watch the instructor and ask questions via text, voice, or video. I really enjoyed this format and thought that the instructors provided a lot of great insights. They were also very good at explaining things in a way that was easy to follow and understand.

Next, we would break into pairs (we had a different partner each day) and work on coding exercises using a technique called pair programming—this is where you take turns writing code ("driving") and providing direction ("navigating"). This definitely took some getting used to, but quickly started to feel more natural as we progressed. It's great practice for learning to work with different people and different personalities, and it helps us pull each other along—I noticed on some days that my partner was teaching me a lot, while on others I was doing the teaching. Most days it was a mix of both. If you ran into any trouble, you could always message the instructor/TA's, who would join your room and help you figure things out.

After a 45-minute lunch break, we'd have an afternoon lecture, which was usually a short review or small addition to the content we covered in the morning lecture.

Then, we'd break into our pairs again and work on some more exercises until the end of the day (4:30pm Central).

In the evenings, we'd meet with our personal Mentors at an agreed-upon time for 30 minutes. Thinkful Mentors work regular jobs in the industry and provide mentorship on the side, so in addition to getting help with your coursework, they can provide valuable insight about life as a real Developer.

We'd also usually have an assigned reading each night to introduce the topic for the next day's class. Thinkful recommended that we dedicate at least 2 hours per night to studying outside of class. Obviously, the more time you put into it, the more you'll get out of the program, so it's important that your family/friends understand the time commitment you've made so that they allow you time to focus and study. I found that in order to keep up" at the level I wanted to be at, I had to devote more like 3-4 hours every night, plus an additional 3-4 hours per day on weekends.

Projects

The projects were a great way to really apply our knowledge in a practical setting and review and reinforce some of the lessons we had learned. They also provided great material for our portfolios.

The highlight of the program for me was our first Full-Stack Capstone project. We had finally reached the point where we had the knowledge to build a complete web application and then were given two weeks to brainstorm, plan, design, build, and deploy a full-stack project of our choice. While we still had regular progress check-ins with our instructor, it was so cool to have the freedom to flex our skills and creativity and dive deep into a project.

During the final Capstone project, I was on a team of five, where we came up with the concept for an app, decided on the features we wanted to implement, created user stories and wireframes, organized our tasks on a Trello board, and had daily morning stand-ups to discuss our progress and any hurdles we encountered. I think we all learned a lot about the importance of communication, organization, and version control when working in a collaborative environment. It was so cool to be put into an Agile development environment, simulating the type of tasks and interactions we might encounter in our professional work.

Pace/Difficulty

The pace of the program was very quick—it often felt like we were just starting to wrap our heads around one subject when another would get introduced. Some days were definitely more difficult than others, but the days seemed well-balanced so it never got too overwhelming.

I sometimes wished that I had time to read more about a few of the more complex topics we covered, but then you run the risk of going down a rabbit hole and losing focus, so overall I'm happy with the pace and structure. It did feel at times like I was literally just coding, eating, and sleeping, but I knew the program would be time-consuming, so it's hard to complain, especially when I look at how far I developed in such a short time.

Job Search

One of the key selling points for the program was the focus on giving me the skills required to land a Developer job, and that includes the soft skills. There was an entire section of the curriculum dedicated to crafting application materials, networking, and interviewing.

Upon graduating, I was also paired with a dedicated Career Coach, who would meet with me every 1-3 weeks (more frequently earlier on) to go over your application materials, talk about different job hunting techniques, and help you refine your strategy if things weren't working.

They definitely expect a lot from you during the job searching phase (see the specific requirements in their Tuition Refund Guarantee), but it's all designed with the goal of getting you a job as quickly as possible.

Thinkful is great about connecting with companies who are looking for Developers like you. Your mileage may vary depending on where you live, but Thinkful introduced me to quite a few companies in Chicago.

Outcome

I'm thrilled to say that, having recently been hired as a Software Engineer at Groupon's Chicago headquarters, I've surpassed my wildest expectations of what I'd be able to accomplish in only a year's time. Thinkful was absolutely instrumental in every step of the way. Not only did they provide me with the current, relevant skills I would need to impress during my interviews, but their incredibly hard-working Careers Team helped me get a foot in the door by making an introduction with Groupon and helping me cut through the high volume of applications they receive on a regular basis.

One of the highlights of my life will be the moment after I received the job offer and then immediately called my wife to deliver the good news and got to hear her cries of joy. This means so much to us and our aspirations of starting a life together. It's also incredibly significant to me, personally, to be doing something that I love in an environment where I'll be challenged and inspired to learn and grow. As I think about my future and start to set new goals for my life and career, I'm so grateful for the time I had with Thinkful and for their incredible team of instructors, mentors, managers, and coaches. I'll always look back fondly on Thinkful as the pivotal factor in propelling me along my desired career path.

• Charles Hebert  User Photo
    Charles Hebert • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

...quite thoughtful, if you'll forgive the pun. In my experience with the program over the last few months, I've come to this conclusion on more than one occassion. From the screening process to the curriculum development to the mentoring, there's ample evidence throughout that the community which designed & developed this bootcamp put a lot time and effort (and therefore a lot of thought) into its creation & maintenance. I think the most impressive aspect though is the confidence that everyone on staff has in the mission to prepare you for a job when you're ready, or upon completion (it's up to you, truly). And that goes for the resources that are made available throughout: it seems that there is a constant drive towards what is relevant whether it's a project management tool, or another Excel reference. Thinkful as indeed the right choice for me.

- 5/20/2019
    Timothy  User Photo
    Timothy • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am currently in Thinkful's Full Stack Flex program, and I'm very happy with my decision. I was initially planning on doing a local in-person bootcamp. I wanted the face to face mentorship and the opportunity to have an immediate network of local partners. I decided to go with Thinkful primarily for two reasons (aside from being able to keep my day job while I learn...):

1) Mentorship. I have learned a ton by meeting with my mentor twice a week. And since it is a self-paced program (unlike a structured local bootcamp) I'm not held back by the class when I easily understand a concept, and I'm not rushed past a concept when I am slower to understand it. Also, I have a regional advocate, a project manager, that helps with bigger picture things, and helps support a local community of learners.

2) Job guarantee. Although I feel confident that if I put in the work that Thinkful is preparing me to enter the industry, I don't need blind faith. Thinkful is transparent about its outcomes, and reports are released by a third party (CIRR). Basically, if you can graduate, you are extremely likely to find a job. The caveat seems to be that because the barrier to entry is low for Thinkful, a lot of people don't make it through the program (roughly half). I am committed to taking it seriously and putting in the hours, and I am on pace to graduate on time. Even if I can't find work upon graduation (which I don't think will be the case), I am guaranteed my money back.

This program is not easy, especially while working a full-time job and being a father of two young children. For background context, I have a B.S. degree in Science, and have been putting in pretty close to the 25 hours a week to keep nicely on pace for the 6-month graduation.

• Daniel  User Photo
    Daniel • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Thinkful's program provides incredible support for students seeking to jump into full-time development. They seek to emulate a professional dev environment by utilizing paired programming throughout ~80% of the course, setting you up to do very well in many coding interview formats. Mock interviews and mentor support are top-notch. The staff is incredibly passionate about shaping the next generation of developers, and it shows!

• Emet Ozar  User Photo
    Emet Ozar • Student Verified via GitHub

I had a phenomenal experience in Data Analytics. Usually when I am taking a course "fun" isn't usually the first thing that pops up in my mind, but I really did have fun taking this course. That is probably partly because I am a nerd and data really fascinates me, but I think it is also because I enjoyed the projects and content immensely.

A huge part of the experience was my mentor, Alicia. Not only did she help with the trickier technical aspects, but she helped me to feel really supported. I think the worst feeling when you are learning something new can be that self-doubt or feeling that you're stupid or not getting the concepts or that things are too hard. Alicia always made me feel like I could conquer the projects and master the concepts and let's be real- it feels great when someone praises you and notices the good and hard work you've done, and she was wonderful at that too!

Overall I learned a ton and felt great about the new skills that I acquired.

• John Young  User Photo
    John Young • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Thinkful's Engineering Immersion program was a pretty life-changing experience for me. It finally allowed me to pursue Software Engineering, which is what I have wanted to do for years.

Pros:

- Excellent support staff

- Curriculum is well thought out, and constantly evolving

- Data Structures and Algorithms section

- Apprentice feedback is welcomed and acted upon

Cons:

- Instructors need to be more involved during the final days of the program. This feedback has already been given, so I expect it to change quickly.

Overall, I would 100% recommend Thinkful to any and everyone thinking about switching careers, or looking for a post-education boost to their resume.

• Will Nixon  User Photo
    Will Nixon • Associate Applications Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I spent a good few weeks researching all the available bootcamps - emailing alum and current students to find out what they thought.

With Thinkful - the overriding feedback was that the course was great as long as you were willing to work hard and do what you need to succeed. Thankfully, that's what I planned to do!

What separated Thinkful from the others was that they offered money back if they didn't help land you a role within 6 months of graduating. To me, that spoke highly of how successful they believe themselves to me. They were willing to put their money where their mouth was - again, as long as I played my part!

I attended the flex course, which meant I could continue working full time. It worked perfectly for me, and I loved that I was able to meet twice a week with a mentor to help me push through the barriers that slowed me down to allow me to keep on growing.

• Overall Experience:

Some of the pros for me is being able to schedule times that work for me since my goal was also to continue to work alongside the program. I also really like being paired up with a professional mentor that really can help me narrow down my struggling points and help me progress through the program.  I think the material does a great job of covering up to date topics and complementing projects to go along with the material which can also be used in your personal portfolio when it comes down to applying for your first job. There are also 5 mock interviews which have given me a taste of what a typical interview will feel like and you get personalized feedback so you can work on improving yourself for the real one. One last thing I would personally recommend to anyone out there considering starting the program is making sure you have the time to dedicate to learning, practicing and progressing through the program because it is very easy to fall behind schedule.​

• Bryan Spearman  User Photo
    Bryan Spearman • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Hello all,

I just graduated from the Full Stack Web Development Flex Program at Thinkful.  It was both a great experience and a serious challenge.  Although I had lots of feedback to offer the school about the program and ways that I believe the curriculum could be improved, I do walk away not regretting anything.

The program is tough and just because you pay thousands, doesn't mean anything is going to be served on a silver platter.  It was not always fun and just like in real life, I got really frustrated at times with my code and the learning experience in general.  But again, learning something totally new (and something seriously complex) is almost never easy.  I speak for myself anyway.

It's worth noting that I came to the table with years of HTML and CSS experience under my belt however I'd never written one line of JavaScript.  And despite me having the HTML and CSS experience, I found the Node and React portions of the course to be seriously challenging.

That's where your mentor comes in and makes this particular program what it is.  My mentor was an absolute jewl of a human being much less a jedi master with coding and he never grew tired of my stupid questions and/or helping me out of a bind. He coached, tutored, encouraged and at times coded along side me to make sure I did my best. That doesn't mean all mentors are like this.  In fact I requested to change to a new mentor after a few weeks because I didn't gel at all with my first one and thankfully the school catered to this which ended up making a huge difference in my learning experience.

Being in the "Flex" program also meant that I was studying, coding and solving problems remotely.  So if you go this route, you must learn to use the community!!  For the first part of the course I didn't see a need to do this because I'm self taught and I generally read up on something or hack it to death myself to figure it out so going to Q&A's or asking questions in the forum just wasn't my thing.  I later learned that that was a big mistake.  The forum is filled with mentors and even talented students who can answer questions, analyze code with you and help to solve issues.  When finally pressed into a corner with some Node.js code I began reaching out to the community and holy crap what a huge help.  I should've been doing it from day one so that I was familiar with the other mentors and got to know people.  People who "know you" online tend to be even more helpful I later learned.

Finally, I'll say that for those considering attending Thinkful, in my humble opinion it's worth it in the end.  Just like you, I came to this website before making the decision because I wanted to know if it would be a sound investment or total waste of time.  Now on the other side I can tell you that it's totallly worth it.  And like me, you may find some things overly easy and you may find other things overly challenging.  But if you work your butt off and really apply yourself, you can do it and you WILL benefit from it.

It's also just the beginning of my journey as pro developer not the end.  I can't hang my hat on a Thinkful graduation and think it opens doors.  It simply doesn't.  It's knowledge and discipline.  I learned how to learn and that in and of itself is a major part of this.  I am personally light years beyond where I was when I started the program at Thinkful and I'm now applying for jobs that previously I had to skip because I couldn't even begin to measure up to the requirements.

So take it from a Thinkful graduate, it's worth the time, effort and money.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.  I don't mind.

Sincerely,

Bryan

• Go For It
    - 2/22/2019
    Christina L  User Photo
    Christina L • Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

Thinkful has been a great course so far! I am about 2 months in, and have really gotten into the flow of the course. I chose Thinkful because I wanted a course that I could complete without actually having to show up to a physical classroom. The great thing is that you still get a massive amount of support. Between mentor meetings, classroom hours, and the community of students, I never feel overwhelmed or stuck. There is always somebody who can lend a hand and give insight to a problem. I tried learning all of this on my own before, but quickly got overwhelmed with the mass amount of technologies and information that is out there. Thinkful lays it all out for you, so that you can focus on learning the skills in an organized, efficient way.

• Mark F  User Photo
    Mark F • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was looking for a Data Science bootcamp because I wanted to be more competitive in the job market and learn some new professional skills. After some research, I chose Thinkful. For me, the best things about
    the course were the mentoring and the careers support. I also met a lot of fellow Thinkful students
    in my local area to network with. About a month after finishing the course, I got hired as a Data Scientist.
    All in all, it's been well worth the investment.

• Good Experience
    - 2/15/2019
    Vennie  User Photo
    Vennie • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I signed up for Thinkful's Fullstack Flex program after hearing my friend graduated from the same program and landed a full-time web developer position that paid upward of $80,000 a year. Having no prior knowledge of programming (and no full-time job), I decided to jump into the coding industry and see if I could make a career out of it.

Thinkful's cirriculum and course materials are rigorous, well-planned, and full of information for beginners. I was assigned mentors for each different unit, and they really do care about helping you succeed. There is no hand-holding though, so most of the time I'd have to either research, or use their free Q&A sessions to come up with solutions if I was stuck. Do note that the courses are not easy, and will definitely become a challenge once you get to the full-stack phase.

From my personal experience, 20-30 hours a week is definitely NOT how much time you have to invest, regardless of what Thinkful says. I ended up spending around 35-40 a week just to be more confident about what I learned. Also, having a good mentor is the key to success in this program. Some of the mentors are not as trained or knowledgable in teaching, so it could be detrimental to your learning experience. Definitely switch mentors if you feel like you're not understanding the material.

• jeffrey Hoglen  User Photo
    jeffrey Hoglen • Student Verified via GitHub

I have been learning with Thinkful for the past three months and it has been amazing. I was nervous first starting because I havent wrote any code in over ten years. But with your mentor and program manager always there to help there is nothing to worry about. The community itself is great and with the slack channel you can get help around the clock. Making the decsion to study with Thinkful is one of the best ones I have ever made.

• Perfect for me
    - 1/25/2019
    Clayton Weller  User Photo
    Clayton Weller • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had experience in the tech industry as a marketing guy, and I decided I'd rather make things than tell people about them.

I taught myself webdevelopement for about 3 months before deciding on a boot camp. I chose Thinkful's Full-Stack Flex program because it was remote, at my own pace, and the offered a refund if I didn't get a job in the industry within 6 months of graduating.

I really liked my mentor (who I did code review with twice a week), and I wound up finishing the program ahead of schedule. I credit, learning on my own before starting as a big part of that. I highly recomend doing some video courses before you start so you can hit the ground running.

Also, they started doing more in person stuff about half way through my program. They're actively seeking to improve.

Just got a job as a software developer. Totally worth it.

- 1/14/2019
    Travis Callahan  User Photo
    Travis Callahan • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I've been trying to learn how to code for some time now, as I have gone through some of FreeCodeCamp, Harvard's CS50, as well as a JavaScript course on Udemy. Although I learned a lot utilizing those free resources, it was frustrating when I would get stuck on a problem and couldn't find a way out. Frustration quickly led to demotivation, and I found myself questioning if a career in programming was really for me. I then realized that although I had gotten quite far on my own, I absolutely needed some sort of rigid structure for learning how to code, if I seriously wanted to change my career. So, I thought about the idea of attending a bootcamp. After doing extensive research on coding bootcamps, Thinkful seemed like the best option due to high reviews, a job guarantee, and the ability to still maintain my full-time job, as I'm enrolled in the Full Stack Flex program.

Upon enrolling, Thinkful pairs you up with both a Program Manager as well as a mentor. The PM is responsible for overseeing your graduation plan and makes sure you are on track. The mentor is (usually) a seasoned developer that you'll meet with twice a week via video chat. In addition to these resources, you'll have an entire community of mentors and students alike that you have access to via Slack. There are also Q&A sessions that you can attend where you can share your screen with a mentor and ask any questions or try to fix a program that you're working on.

Whereas I would get stuck and demoralized when I was on my own, it's nearly impossible to get stuck and stay stuck with all of these resources at your disposal. Oh and by the way, if for some reason your mentor doesn't work out, Thinkful will pair you up with someone else. It didn't work out with my first mentor as he was often late and straight up no showed me one time. My second mentor, however, has been nothing short of stellar.

The Full Stack program is broken up into a few parts:

• Web Development Fundamentals (Intro to HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and jQuery)
    • Asychronous client-side apps
    • Server-side programming (Node.js)
    • React
    • Computer Science Fundamentals

After each section, you will be required to complete a capstone which is a program that reflects what you learned in that section. You'll also conduct a mock interview where one of the mentors (also via live chat) will ask you behavioral and technical questions in addition to asking you to do live coding exercises. You are required to pass both the capstone and mock interview in order to advance to the next phase.

The curriculum is very, very reading intensive. I wish that there were some videos to go alongside the material. But even so, I think the curriculum is great. Sometimes you're encouraged to go out and learn about topics outside of Thinkful, and I've done just that.

I still have a couple months left, but from my understanding upon completion you are then paired up with Career Services and their job is to assist you in finding a position as a Developer. As mentioned before, Thinkful offers a job guarantee, which you can read about on their website.  Overall, my experience has been wonderful and I think this is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I have learned an insane amount over the past few months and I am looking forward to continuing the program, graduating, and changing careers!

Finally, I'd like to mention that Thinkful is completely transparent about what percentage of their students graduate, find jobs, etc. If you're serious about attending this bootcamp I'd recommend checking out the below link.

- 12/18/2018
    Oscar A. Reyes   User Photo
    Oscar A. Reyes • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been enrolled in the course for about 2 months and have found the curriculum very valuable. It is definitely guided with the intention of having their grads not just graduate but get employed. The mock interviews are great because they are ensuring i'm ready for the last and final step of the application process. Q&a sessions are extremely helpful when looking for a quick fix to a problem I might have. Most importantly, the mentors are the most valuable asset to any students success in the bootcamp. I am definitely excited to continue the next unit, knowing that I'm not alone in the journey.

• Michael  User Photo
    Michael • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Overview:

I recently graduated from Thinkful's Full Stack Flex program and I'm currently applying for jobs (will update). The program was challenging but I've learned a lot and I feel fairly well-prepared for an entry-level web developer position. I had the luxury of being able to work on the program full-time, but it still took longer than I anticipated, largely because I spent a lot of time on my capstone projects. These projects are a valuable and unique aspect of the program that teach you a lot and leave you with a great portfolio, but designing, building, testing, and styling these projects from scratch can eat up a lot of time.

Community:

I was suprised that the community was one of the most valuable aspects of Thinkful. Emma, the program manager for Portland and Seattle, is amazing and puts on Thinkful Family Dinners every two weeks. These in-person events are a fun way to get to know other people in the program and often brought in speakers who presented on topics like networking, game development, and hackathons.

The Slack community was also great and quite active. It was a useful place to get feedback and have questions answered. Q&A sessions (open online office hours) were fairly useful, but I didn't end up using them very often. There is often a line of students waiting and it often takes quite awhile to get a question answered...some sort of quota or ticket system could help make these more valuable. TJ was a standout Q&A mentor and also leads great workshops on a variety of interesting topics almost every day.

I had great mentors throughout the program. Thinkful had to switch my mentors twice for administrative reasons, which was disappointing, but I got along well with each and they were all very knowledeable. Alanna was an excellent guide through the fundamentals portion before Lawrence took over for the majority of my program. He was instrumental in helping me choose projects, troubleshoot bugs, and understand difficult concepts. Ali was my mentor for the final month of the course and did an excellent job stepping in. He helped me wrap up my final capstone and was a great help practicing for technical interviews.

Overall, the curriculum was thorough, provided good code examples, and covered the latest development technology. I'm sure it's a monumental task keeping up with constant updates for all the tools, software, and platforms they cover, but at times, it was sometimes frustrating to run into broken instructions (especially on Windows). The material is almost completely text and code examples, which are well-written. It frequently encourages you to use official documentation, which turned out to be a great skill that served me well as I moved through the program.

The major missing element was a search feature. The curriculum is very large and paginated by Unit, Section, Lesson, etc. It can be a challenge to find that one line you're thinking of without being able to search the whole curriculum.

Throughout the course, you complete mini career lessons, such as building a resume, optimizing your LinkedIn page, and how to network. These were helpful and I feel well-prepared to look for jobs. As soon as you graduate, you're paired with a career coach who you meet with weekly to check your progress and answer questions. Thinkful isn't going to necessarily find and get you the job you want, but they'll do a lot to prepare you to do it yourself.

• Annah  User Photo
    Annah • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Overall, I had a pretty good experience at Thinkful. Thankfully I spent about 6 months learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript before starting, so I was able to get through the fundamentals section really fast which helped me to graduate on time. I know quite a few people who weren't able to graduate on time, which really doesn't surprise me since you do have to devote a LOT of time to studying and working on projects.

The curriculum was good but really only covers the basics, and it's all readings (no videos or anything). For example, they gave you kind of a short tutorial on React, which definitely was not enough, so in addition to that I also had to read all of the React documentation, do a Codecademy React course, and watch some youtube tutorials. But they give you enough to get started.

I also found the Node section to be extremely lacking, and I know a bunch of other people who feel the same about that.

Also, I had four different mentors. My first mentor was very good, but unfortunately they only assigned him to me for the fundamentals section. I then got assigned another mentor who was terrible and didn't even know Node or React, so I switched. I then got assigned another mentor who was great, but had a VERY strong accent and it was very difficult to understand him, so I switched again. Then my last mentor was ok.

But my husband, who is a full-stack developer, is the one who would help me the most. Sometimes my mentors would spend our entire session trying to help me figure out one of my problems, and they wouldn't be able to solve it, so I would have to ask my husband who would literally solve the problem is under 5 minutes. Sometimes even like 30 seconds. It was crazy.

The Q&A sessions are also not very helpful, and I only went to a few of them. A few times they were able to help me, but mostly they weren't much of a help. Unfortunately there can sometimes be like 6 other people in the Q&A so they have to be fast with helping you. There are definitely some good Q&A mentors though, like Luis and TJ. They're really good!

But overall, I definitely learned a lot. I still don't really feel like I'm that great of a developer, but I know that takes time, and I'm going to have to keep learning and doing projects on my own. I just graduated though and am hoping to find a job soon!

• Alex Webb  User Photo
    Alex Webb • Student Verified via GitHub

Very interesting course that covers a lot of ground. Excellent place to test your abilities and push yourself farther than you had before. I came in to the course with some knowledge of C#, Ruby, and JS. This course pushed me to complete projects and then improve and make them professional looking. The mentors are a nice bonus but not as valuable as the reviews and practice interviews which will test your mettle and reveal your weaknesses. If you can afford it and have some experience and are looking to get serious about web development, give it a try.

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

92% of job obtainers reported salaries.