thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Thinkful

Thinkful, a Chegg service, provides every adult learner with a pathway to a rewarding career. This online bootcamp offers fast-paced, career-focused programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. Students commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time format, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option. All programs include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and Q&A sessions with industry professionals.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll. Students continue to get personalized support from a dedicated career coach for six months after graduation, or until they’re hired. Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. Students join a community of 3,000+ learners and mentors to get on-demand help and build a professional network.

Thinkful also offers an expanding list of flexible payment options. Thinkful students are empowered to balance life and learning, and can complete any of the part-time programs even if they plan to keep working in an existing job. They can access course materials from anywhere in the world.

Prospective students can apply via Thinkful.com, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.56

all (906) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (116) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, Data Visualization, Excel, MySQL, Python, SQL
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

SQL, Python, MySQL, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Algorithms, Data Science, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Python, Spark, SQL
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

SEO, Growth Hacking, Digital Marketing, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Engineering Flex

React.js, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, React.js
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • UX/UI Flex

Design, Front End, User Experience Design, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

User Experience Design, jQuery, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, Design, CSS
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.
    I took the Thinkful Data Science Flex program and really enjoyed what I learned. The issue I had with the program was how disorganized the grading system was. There was a few time when I would submit an assignment and ask to make corrections but when I made the exact corrections a different instructor was grading so I would get different corrections. Also, any technical issues take forever to fix. From my research, Thinkful was the cheapest program so the lower cost must just come from these issues. Overall, the program info is great but just be prepared to deal with some operations issues.
  • Anonymous • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate
    For me, Thinkful was a life-changing experience. I joined the program without any prior knowledge, I applied to the Living Stipend, a debt of $ 40,000, which I needed (but DO NOT RECOMMEND), it was a huge risk ... but it was also what made me take responsibility and fight against every obstacle to achieve my goal.

I liked the curriculum very much, it seemed very organized, however, there should be more visual materials for the different types of learning. When it comes to content, they always focus on the Tech Stack that is in demand the most, which is great.

Regarding the Administration, during my program, there was a change and that caused many inconveniences with the planning and organization of the program, which made the groups completely useless.

Despite the situation, on a personal level, I was able to connect with many people in the industry and enrich my knowledge with them.

The best thing about the program is having a mentor, that is the person you will learn the most from, and it is super important that you feel comfortable.

Thanks to the experience I had at Thinkful, and most of all to the people I met along the way, after two weeks of graduating, I landed a dream job!

To conclude, this is a difficult program, but it is possible.
    Curriculum is incredibly easy to follow and packed with fantastic foundation for the skills needed in this field.  My only critique would be that in the Flex program, I was taking the course while still employed full-time.  I found it tricky at times to schedule meetings or presentations outside of normal business hours.  Given that they offer the Flex program for people such as myself, I anticipated some more accommodations respecting my current employment.
  • Anonymous • Retail Buyer • Graduate
    Would recommend! Thinkful helped me make my dream career and job a reality. The curriculum was thorough and highlighted all of the on-demand skills in the current job market for Data Analysts. The peer driven project work was effective and fun. Post-graduation, the my Career Coach helped me navigate, job applications, interviews, and eventually an offer! Thank you Thinkful!
    The Thinkful UX UI Flex program was a great way for me to build my portfolio and receive mentorship throughout my journey. In fact, my mentor's moral support was the most positive part of my experience, and I am super grateful. However, something to keep in mind: If you work a full-time job, the completion dates for this curriculum are very tight and not realistic. Despite being called a Flex program, it is not very flexible, and your tuition reimbursement guarantee will be revoked if you request additional time.

Half of the instructors I encountered during assessments were very professional and helpful, while the other half were unprepared. If you do not get paired with a good assessor, you can try again, but this should not be a hit-or-miss situation put on students. I also noticed a few broken links and resources in the curriculum, but overall, very solid learning materials.
    This was a complete waste of time and money! They will kick you out for no reason and Rob you blind! This is such a joke! They make promises to you that they will never fulfill! This company is a complete scam! Please don’t make the mistakes I did and save yourself the headache and look up free classes online and on YouTube.
    Don't bother unless you have the money upfront and are able to do the Flex program, and I hardly recommend that much. What they promise is not reality. In reality, they only give you a total of an hour and a half of instructor time. The rest of the time you are thrown weekly with a different group of people that may or may not want to do actual group work.  Also the modules are crappy once you leave the precourse. The Qualified assessments are always broken. Save your money and use Udemy. It's way cheaper and actually better taught. They also do not have job assistance. You have to network yourself and find your own job anyway. You can get the same resume and networking advice from Google. They claim 84% graduate rate, or similar. That number is inflated when you start with almost 60 people and less than half graduate. Ask them about the dropout vs graduation rates of all their cohorts. Bet they won't give you a straight answer before you sign your life away.
    After doing some research on getting into the data analytics field, I was lucky enough to have found Thinkful’s Data Analytics Immersion curriculum. Overall it was a great program. I developed skills in Excel, SQL, Tableau and Python. During my time here I had three instructors, two I found very helpful and one not so much. The one instructor I felt talked down on us a little if we didn’t know or if we asked questions her response would be that she would answer it the following day but never would. I felt that I was not able to learn well with that style of teaching and I feel a lot of the other students felt that way as well. After graduation I had an amazing career coach who helped me get noticed more. Shortly after I connected with her I was getting phone screenings and interviews and in no time I was able to accept an offer with a great company doing data analytics. She truly wants to help you and was so happy to find out that I accepted the offer. Overall I would recommend Thinkful if you want to get into the field of data. I feel that they did a great job getting me to where I am today!
         Thinkful offers a comprehensive, remote, full stack program in the Javascript family of languages and libraries. The curriculum traverses everything from HTML to CSS, Javascript, jQuery, React, Node, Express, PostgreSQL/SQL, Git, Postman, and DBeaver. The trajectory of the curriculum is solid if you keep pace with the program and keep up with practicing Javascript operators as you can get mired in the back-end programming module covering Node and PostgreSQL and lose your footing in JS while you get buried in database concepts and server-side programming which is long-winded and challenging if you're completely unfamiliar with it.

I think the biggest challenge of my program was communication and being held accountable for my progress. On the one hand, those aspects are completely within a student's realm of control: you can reach out, contact (or attempt to contact) your Academic Success Manager or mentor, you can linger around on the Slack channel to find help if you have many free hours a day, or you can use the ThinkChat feature to get one-on-one guidance with a technical coach. There were many times I would reach out to my mentor (any of the three I had) and three or four days could pass before we had our next meeting and they would say, "I didn't hear from you since our last meeting." That was ultimately ironic because I had posed a question and never received a response. This was the major reason why I had three mentors -- lack of communication.  I ultimately had four Academic Success Managers; one after the next had something that forced a change in their assignment to me. But my final ASM was pretty brusque in her communication, not offering options but giving me strict "do it or else" ultimatums pointing to being withdrawn from the program and failing rather than suggesting paying for an extension, for instance. The major issue I have with all of those channels and, maybe, the program entirely, is that nobody proactively tended to my challenges. While it is said with many of the assigned coding submissions, "your mentor should view this" or "you can use this as a conversation starter during your next mentor meeting," none of three mentors I had ever brought to my attention that anything I was submitting was missing the mark or needing clarification and I'm certain that I needed guidance on many occasions. There was no progress meter for the program and there was no review over time to see that the concepts were sticking...until months later. And at that time, once immersed in the more complex parts of the program, you just don't have the time to really backtrack and "catch up" on those concepts you may have lost footing on as you are pretty buried in full stack capstone projects and pretty intense mock interviews.

Now, I will say this: COVID challenged my capacity to succeed at this program and the format of the program and the effect that the pandemic had on others may have contributed to its lack of efficacy. I can't speak to what others were experiencing, what the school itself was dealing with, converting all programs to remote, and handling a very different and, maybe, very busy student load. But for my part, a paying student begging for guidance that exposed more examples of coding with explanations, some how-to and how-not-to-do comparisons, and more consistent communication from the only person I was regularly in touch with about my questions and concerns being that I didn't have a program instructor (my mentor), this program was less engaging and inclusive than I expected. I think their screening process should assess incoming students better too. I had no introductory "placement test" to see that I should even be in the program and I could have used some introduction to Javascript, for example, so that I had a better base of knowledge going in. I did graduate! I'm super proud of myself, maybe even surprised! The career department has been immediately and thoroughly engaging just a couple days in! And their success rates for job placement is one of the main reasons I chose them over every other school. I won't say "don't" consider Thinkful. Just know that you have to be ready to operate mostly independently and I highly recommend doing some side-by-side application of concepts on other platforms if you haven't solved problems with Javascript before.

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here