thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Thinkful

Thinkful, a Chegg service, provides every adult learner with a pathway to a rewarding career. This online bootcamp offers fast-paced, career-focused programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. Students commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time format, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option. All programs include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and Q&A sessions with industry professionals.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll. Students continue to get personalized support from a dedicated career coach for six months after graduation, or until they’re hired. Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. Students join a community of 3,000+ learners and mentors to get on-demand help and build a professional network.

Thinkful also offers an expanding list of flexible payment options. Thinkful students are empowered to balance life and learning, and can complete any of the part-time programs even if they plan to keep working in an existing job. They can access course materials from anywhere in the world.

Prospective students can apply via Thinkful.com, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.55

all (836) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (111) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Data Visualization, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, SQL, Python
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Engineering Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • Technical Project Management Immersion

The fastest path to a project management career. Learn to leverage the tools used by top employers in this full-time, online course. Work through a project-based course that builds your portfolio with the support of industry experts, a rigorous curriculum, and paired workshops.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.
  • Anonymous • Primary School Teaching Assistant • Student

Are you totally intimidated by the phrase "Full Stack Web Developer"? I was too. Thinkful's entire Slack community dispelled my fears. Anytime I had a question, Thinkful was there to point me in the right direction. Anytime I was worried about career options or needed further support, Thinkful was there. My mentors were all engaged and helpful, and when (due to scheduling conflicts) I needed to switch to a new mentor in my first few weeks of the course, the mentorship manager was immediately on it to get me the connection I needed. The career services team is up-front, kind and thorough, and I have every confidence that they will be able to place me in the right network as I move past graduation.

I've never programmed before so I didn't know what to expect, but Thinkful has made it a smooth easy to understand. The curriculum covers a lot of core topics, and the projects they assign test your knowledge thoroughly. My mentor is great – quick to respond and good feedback. The sessions generally go over the projects – any key points that you miss will be pointed out, and solutions different from yours will be shown to give you an idea of how experienced programmers think.

The only negative thing that I could say is that the reading material isn't always as in-depth as it should be in my opinion. Sometimes in order to do parts of some of the projects that they assign or answer some of the questions they ask, I find myself having to look at free online sources. But that isn't too big of a deal because the information is readily available (for free), and you are guided towards learning this information by the projects and questions so you won't miss out.

Great course overall.

• Excellent
    - 6/22/2016

I just completed Thinkful's Web Development Career Path and was very impressed with the program. I’ve been coding regularly for over a year now and I am currently seeking full-time work as a full stack developer. During the program I studied in depth, full stack JavaScript web development, created four personal projects, and received excellent mentorship. I was able to complete the program in three months without working. I recommend this program to anyone starting out in web development.

• Good Investment
    - 6/19/2016
    Anonymous • Quality Assurance Rep • Student

I have been enrolled in Thinkful for about 1 month now, so very new and very new to coding itself. I am a true beginner coder, changing careers. I was between Viking and Thinkful and did a lot of research to see what would be best for me. The cost, length of course, mentorship and career help was what led me to Thinkful ultimately. I knew that I would need help along the way with the intensity of the program and so mentorship was key for me. My mentor Marius is a superb mentor that has been doing web dev for a considerable amount of time, so I knew I was getting a professional.

I will say, the course is hard (is for me) but very much worth it. As much as I struggle is as much as I thrive and motivated to go the next challenge and see my coding create sites. You will struggle, you will doubt yourself and you will wonder if you will get better and YOU WILL if you stick with it and do the work involved.

I know I'm only a month in, but I have already learned so much! Only 5 months more to go!

• Meh
    - 6/1/2016

I am currently taking the $300 a month Frontend Web Development course.

Pros:

1. Quite a bit of course material.
    2. Course material can sometimes be in depth.
    3. Good mentorship
    4. Breaks down learning into easy steps.
    5. Good amount of projects to work on.

Cons:

1. Course material 95% of the time is extremely vague.
    2. No video's.
    3. For the most part you have to look other places to actually learn about what they cover.
    4. You get the feeling that a lot of the course work was just mashed together from other free websites out there.
    5. The price they charge for the course. Not worth $300. $100 a month or less seems a fair price.

Overall I am very unimpressed with this course. The course material is altogether very vague. Going through it almost feels like you have to decipher everything line by line. I believe they do this so that it takes you longer to go through it so that they can charge you more.

If you are willing to drop money on an online course I would honestly look any where else but here. In all fairness I am going to complete the course and then look else where to continue my education. I would not recommend thinkful.com to anyone.

Curated curriculum means most of the content is from FREE web resources.  So I guess you're paying for the Mentor, except my mentor never answered any questions but rather threw me some weblinks and told me to go on Slack or Stackoverflow.

Yeah, I know I can find the answers online but I'm asking YOU right NOW for the answer. She also told me to go to Codeacademy - again another FREE resource.

I had high hopes for Mentor led learning but at Thinkful I got the impression that my Mentor was just trying to fulfill a quota of meetings and killing time just to reach the required 45 minute minimum.

I'll give Thinkful credit in that it got me to start using Github and Terminal but most of the technical learning I did on other resources like Codeacademy and even Lynda.com (my current employer has a company account).

• Anonymous • Student • Graduate

Just finished up Thinkful's FrontEnd Development Course with a dedicated mentor.  In full disclosure, I conducted a signfiicant amount of diligence into how best begin exploring a career in coding -- and after reading many reviews, making calls, talking with references, I decided to choose Thinkful.  Importantly, my own personal experience over the past five months has been entirely consistent with the feedback I had received from a myriad of others before embarking on the course.

My experience with Thinkful:  This was truly my first coding experience and while I was bit nervous, my assigned mentor literally assuaged each and every one of my concerns.  IN so many ways, Thinkful bridges an important, critical gap between asychronous, self-paced, online free learning and on the other end of the spectrum, jumping into a coding bootcamp, full-time (whether online or in residence.)

With Thinkful, I got access to:

(1) a very strong online curriculum that allowed me to work on my own pace

(2) a strong, active and supportive community of both instructors and fellow students with ample opportunities to participate in workshops (think extra, live classes)

(3) And most importantly, a dedicated "mentor" who was litearlly with me every step of the way.

I cannot emphasize enough how important this mentor-relationship is.  While Thinkful calls its instructors mentors - I really thought of my mentor (TJ) as a super coach.  He is a professional developer with a ton of experience -- experiences that he shared with me that went well above and beyond the actual curriculum itself.  For example, there were multiple times in which TJ suggested fantastic additional, free learning resources that were outside the scope of the Thinkful online curriculum that I would likely not have found myself.  There were instances were TJ told me that it would pay off in dividends to invest the extra time and effort to learn a ton of Git shortcuts.  He was right.

Most of all, my Thinkful mentor served as an inspiring and encouraging coach. Not only were all of my 1-on-1 sessions with him instructive and incredibly helpful, but knowing that I had a meeting scheduled with TJ was super motivational to put the extra time in - even after a long & tiring day at school - so that I could be best prepared to a) try to impress him and b) make sure that I used the time most effectively to address questions or concepts that I had been struggling with on my own.

For my "capstone" project - TJ continued to be super encouraging and incredibly helpful.  I wanted to go a little further for my FrontEnd project - so I literally developed and launched a commercial website that's now generating approximately $1K per month in revenue just a few weeks after launch.  My Thinkful mentor was not only open to helping me with my project as part of our mentor sessions together, but was incredibly helpful in teaching me how to do things like STRIPE API integration, leveraging AWS et al. Again, I realize that these things may seem both obvious and simple -- but remember, prior to starting Thinkful, I had absolute zero experience.

To balance out this review, I really wish there were some things I could point to for areas of improvement in regards to the overall Thinkful experience.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) there really aren't.  Ultimately, the litmus test for me is will I be returning for the next course sequence at Thinkful? The answer is yes.  I could not recommend Thinkful and it's mentor program more highly.  Truly.

• Full Stack Flex
    - 10/4/2018
    Ellen • Student

Thinkful has provided me with great resources to be successful in this program. I was able to complete the 6 month program in 4 months by working on it full time. A few things that I wish I had been prepared for were to do some additional learning and research on my own to discover new things, and to reach out for help much earlier and more often. I found myself scrambling to work on things on my own, and once I owned up to the fact that I needed help and asked for it, I was able to learn and do so much more. Some of the curriculum is slightly dated (for example deploying to heroku, rather than another deployment site), based on the jobs I'm applying to, but there are plenty of external resources and other thinkful mentors and students to get help from. If you're coming from a completely different background, like I did, be prepared for a steep learning curve.

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here