thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Thinkful

Thinkful, a Chegg service, provides every adult learner with a pathway to a rewarding career. This online bootcamp offers fast-paced, career-focused programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Product Management, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. Students commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time format, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option. All programs include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and Q&A sessions with industry professionals.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll. Students continue to get personalized support from a dedicated career coach for six months after graduation, or until they’re hired. Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. Students join a community of 3,000+ learners and mentors to get on-demand help and build a professional network.

Thinkful also offers an expanding list of flexible payment options. Thinkful students are empowered to balance life and learning, and can complete any of the part-time programs even if they plan to keep working in an existing job. They can access course materials from anywhere in the world.

Prospective students can apply via Thinkful.com, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.55

all (769) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (110) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Data Visualization, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, SQL, Python
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Digital Marketing Immersion

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    The fastest way to launch your marketing career. Create campaigns and analyze results as you learn relevant, up-to-date technical skills. Showcase your knowledge with an interview-ready portfolio that stands out and earns job offers. Enroll now, and pay nothing until you’ve graduated and landed a job.
    Options:
  • Engineering Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • Technical Project Management Immersion

The fastest path to a project management career. Learn to leverage the tools used by top employers in this full-time, online course. Work through a project-based course that builds your portfolio with the support of industry experts, a rigorous curriculum, and paired workshops.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.
  • Quality Education
    - 4/30/2018

I joined this program because I really wanted to get started in Web Development (web dev), and since web dev is so involved and requires knowledge of multiple languages which each have their own numerous libraries, I had no idea where to begin or what to focus on. My overall thought on Thinkful is that it does a nice job of outlining the important technologies that is used in web dev, and the curriculum throughtfully walks you through scenarios where they would be relevant.

I came from a programming background already, and the challenge of learning to code wasn't an issue for me, so I was pleasantly surprised when I still felt like I was being challenged by the curriculum. The capstone projects require thought, planning, and a 'software engineering mentality'. I believe the challenges of the big capstone projects combined with the detailed curriculum is what produces quality software developers if they get through all the material in the program. There is a lot of stuff covered in the program, you learn front-end basics like developing a dynamic website with JQuery, to API integration, server-side development with Node, DataBase stuff, React/Redux (my favorites) and data structures/algorithms.

The curriculum aside, you get a fair amount of support from mentors if you need it which I think is important especially for design-concepts of your code when you first start. For example it is easy to google syntax, but not easy to google what sort of patterns to use in your code in order to optimize your app. You get assigned a personal mentor whom you meet with regularly, and there is also a good amount of community support.

I have to say that I am impressed by this program, mostly because I see that it is well-thought-out and the program seems to care about the quality of the education it provides and the quality of job candidates that it produces.

I had a very bad experience with Thinkful. My mentor was really great though, as a person and as an amazing professional in his field, which is why I am giving him 5 stars. Actually, all mentors that crossed my path were really great.

I started the program in September 2017. In good faith, I paid up front the whole amount for the Web Development Flex program (bad idea, as it turned out). Everything was fine for five months, until I discovered that none of my two program managers (PM) were aware of my falling behind. So after five months, I finaly recieved my graduation trajectory, after asking for it for weeks. Well, it was there all along, it just wasn't shared with me. I was one month behind. There was no way that I would finish in time. My second PM told me that I would have to pay monthly until I finish the program, in addition to what I already paid. I was really upset about this. Few days later, they broke the contract and accused me of yelling and insulting the staff. Absolutely ridiculous. I am a firm person, I know what I want and I know what is fair and what is not. I don't have to be pleasant when I am presented with this mess. I invested $8000 in this and I wanted to get what was promised to me. But, this was one-way deal, it was their way or the highway, which is fine, but they also kept my money, which is not fine.

Miss-worded policy

During the one-week back and forth between me and my PMs that were not hepful at all, and if I didn't ask million of questions, while trying to learn and code (I basicaly did their job), I would not even know the protocol concerning the pause days. So I finally looked at their pause days policy and asked about that, and so my PM told me that the policy is miss-worded and I did not understand it correctly.

Also, my PM said that she told me that I haven't been investing enough time in my projects during our meeting. That conersation never occured. I called her out on that and she appologized. I accepted the apology.

Attempt to resolve my problem,

There was one attempt during the video phonecall, where we came up with a plan and continued to work together. By the way, it is during this cideo phonecall that they said I yelled and insulted the staff. We continued to work normally after this, at no point did they say to me that I was yelling or insulting. I remember us smiling, discussing, also my husband was in the room, he tought it went well. Really strange, but also dishonest, in my opinion, to later deem this conversation to be disrespectful. I think that if somone was yelling and insulting me, I would ask them to stop right away, why go for 30 min with me yelling and insulting? That makes no sense.

Also during the same call we reached a plan, that they would change a day later without consulting me. Again very autocratic. They said that there were multiple attempts to solve my problem that they caused. but there was one and in the period of exactly two days, and that one went from bad to worse.

Dismissal letter

Few days after the video call, I recieved the letter, I wrote the letter of apoogy, because they, in my opinion, held my investment hostage, I felt emotionally draned after dealing with them. I really had nothing to apologize for, as I received no apologies from them for being in my predicament. As other things in my experience with Thinkful, my apology fell on deaf ears, but I had to accept their apologies for fabrications, "miss-worded" policies, resolution plans that they kept changing. Actually my graduation date changed twice.

In this whole process, I asked the student support manager to call me, he did not communicate with me at all. Just with his staff that was at fault. They did not want to hear from the student.

The thing is I had a major red flag when I read their term of service and the learning contract, they are both extremely one-sided and autocratic. Where is the respect for my investment? Should I have just pay more, accept the solutions to my problem that were detremental to me? They said that their employees felt bullied by me, but they just went along with it and did not write a formal complaint, why didn't they? I feel bullied in that they dismissed me like I was their employee but kept my money.

So, I ended up paying $5300 for the following:

-no job guarnantee, or a job or a chance to obtain a job with the their help.

-no full stack knowledge,

-I got nothing out of the course that I can monetize, because I am that absolute beginner that did really well, but that was of no concern to the support manager. I needed job assistance, help with portfolio.

- mentorship, that I didn't purchase, or consented to purchase. I purchased the whole program.

-forceful withdrawal, because they were sick of my questions and requests as a paying customer.

The only reason why I decided to go with Thinkful is because of the job guarantee and because of all these great coursereport data.

My problem lies only with the administrative part of Thnkful, this was just not a good fit, I don't like relaxed policies or the idea that somone has an autcratic control over my investment of thousands of dollars. I deeply regret ever investing in my education through Thinkful.

• Anonymous • Applicant

I didn't go to their class , bacause they will reject the non-native speaker to enter their course, I feel racial discrimination against them.

I have a few years of programming experiences and also interested in their course, but finally they use an excuse to reject me.

• Anonymous • Product Manager • Student

I'm so glad I'm taking Thinkful's Data Science bootcamp instead of an over-priced graduate degree. Having all the coursework available online and the direct, 1-on-1 support from a "mentor" really works for me. Thinkful provides concise and up-to-date learning materials that are immediately useful for my work. The mentors with whom I spoke with until now have been great teachers. As a result - I've been learning a lot!​

• Terrible experience
    - 11/20/2017

I enrolled in the full stack flex, signed up in May 2016 and finished my course in Nov 2016. My instructor is nice but sometimes missed details. The curriculum did give you some junior developer experience but which is not enough for the tech interview.

The job assistance is frustrating. Because I graduated in Nov, the transfers from graduate to job assistance wasted two weeks because of the holiday. The coach in my program only has HR experience, not the SDE. She just did some changes on my resume and only provided me some slides like conversation guide or Amazon interview guide which was got from another student. In her mind, the most efficient way is to attend meetups in my area. However, after I attend three times, I found the meetups can't do any help for my job seeking because of my cultural background. I talked to her about my experience in my weekly session. She insisted on the same way. When I stopped corporation with Thinkful in this May, I only got one tech interview from my online application and all interviews introduced by Thinkful is stopped after HR call.

The most frustrating thing is they blame all on me when I asked Thinkful return my money back. The reasons they use are weak, pale and unreasonable. They said I didn't attend enough meetups to satisfy their requirements for at least two a month, while I didn't find the requirements when I enrolled in the program. I also told my coach I can't attend meetups at the beginning of the job assistance and she didn't mention the requirements. They also blamed me for not pursuing my job search to the best of my ability because one mentor helped me about the code challenge who totally gave me wrong suggestions. And finally, they just say "we would be happy to support your continued job search in any way possible" and refused to refund.

After five months I graduate from Thinkful, I update my resume and just apply online with no meetups. I find my new job in a worldwide company as an SDE. It proves the strategy which Thinkful uses is totally wrong.

If I could get another chance, I wouldn't enroll in the boot camp.

If you are looking for learning programming, this is a great place to go. If you are looking for a developer job, this might not be your choice.

Pros:

The mentor session is great. This is the time you learn the most of the things. You will build a strong fundamental concept of web development. The curriculum is great and it is fully structured. However, the curriculum is not enough for handling a technical interview. You need to use other resources to build your JavaScript knowledge.

Cons:

As I mentioned, this is not a place to help you find a coding job. There is no job assistance although they market for that.

Overall, the learning experience is great. The people and community are also good.

• Anonymous • Senior Technical Animator • Graduate

Overall the course was informative, an excellent refresher/intro to python and a great refresher/intro to SQL, Flask, Git and much more. It showed me how challenging but rewarding web development can be. It brings together many of the basics and puts you through exercises so you understand the core, so at the end you are constructing something that you would be happy to post up on the web. It is challenging but rewarding. It has put me in good stead to jump straight into writing tools for Maya which was my end goal.

As a professional it was tough fitting it in between work and business trips. I think I would have been able to rattle through the course in 1-2 months if I was approaching it full time. That would be my recommendation to anyone doing this as you are less likely to lose momentum.

The mentor program is extremely good. Instead of bashing your head for days over (sometimes simple) code errors, bugs, tech issues. Their experience is invaluable to keeping your momentum up. My mentor was top notch, friendly and extremely supportive. Providing examples, explanations and fixes that were holding me back.

I'm looking forward to applying my newly aquired knowledge to my work in game development and on personal hobby projects.

My only criticism is that the Slack channel wasn't as active as I would have liked, but still a good community on there too.

I was enrolled in the Bloc part-time bootcamp and neede more than two 30 minute mentor meetings per week.  With Thinkful I got three 1 hour  session per week. Also, liked the way the material was presented on Thinkful. It was explained then you did drills then used the material in challenges.  In Bloc they just piled concept upon concept at a very deep level with much of you work just copying the code they already had in place.

• Full Stack Program
    - 6/13/2017

My journey from social studies teacher to software developer has been a crazy journey, and not always an easy one. After trying a variety of different programs, such as Launch School, free code camp, code academy, etc... I realized that I in fact loved programming, however I was not going to be able to be disciplined enough to do a self paced program.

This is where Thinkful comes in, and I am so glad I worked through the program. Not everything is perfect with any program, but Thinkful did a great job in the Full Time Web Development Bootcamp. The program was very structured, and built upon itself each week.

My favorite thing about the entire Thinkful full time web development bootcamp, was definitely the fact that we had structured instructor time, TA availability throughout the day, and a personal mentor. I met with my mentor every day after class and we would go over anything that i didn't understand or wanted to dive a little deeper into knowing how something was working.

The thing that is awesome about the Thinkful program is how caring and hardworking the staff is in their mission to help their students become professional web develoeprs. The thing that i truly admired about the program is that we weren't only being taught current technologies, but how to continue learning, and think critically about a problem.

Overall I would highly recomment Thinkful's full time web development bootcamp if your a student that requires a structured environment, and if you learn better by having classmates who are in the same boat as you are.

• Anonymous • Application Developer • Applicant

I was highly interested in the program and ended up sending 3 emails with a question and request for response.  These were all submitted through their website. Each was spaced a few days apart in an attempt to not be annoying/demanding.  Still no response to this day.

If they are unresponsive at this point, there's no way I would entertain the idea of sending them money and trusting them.  No longer interested - I've found something else.

Note: I was required to rate the Instructors and Curriculum to submit this review.  I defaulted to a single star due to my experience with simply trying to get some information.  I have no experience with their instructors or curriculum.

• Think twice
    - 3/15/2017

Pros:

• Easy to use platform
    • Mentorship - 45mins once a week
    • Offers Q/A and workshop sessions
    • Price - $500 per month
    • Nice and friendly staff

Cons:

• Exercises sometimes doesn't reflect on what was being taught. It's more difficult than what was explained or even asking for completely different solutions at times. I know that they want you to learn and do research yourself, but it just doesn't smoothly transition into the exercises/projects. I don't feel like it's for "beginners" as how they mentioned the course was for.
    • No videos at all. Expect to learn from reading and mini projects only. And if you ask your mentor, they want you to research yourself as well.
    • Although having a mentor is helpful, you need to be the one to ask specific questions and tell them what you want to review during your sessions. Basically, it's YOUR choice. However, if it's more structured, it will be a better guidance for the students. For instance, once you submit your projects, you will hear no feedback from your mentor unless you are THE ONE to bring it up. I feel that as a student, if I submit something, I should receive some comments or etc? Just like when you are in school, you receive a grade/comment. At least that's how I feel.
    • Sometimes typos/errors in given problems to solve. For instance, you are given an algorithm to solve in jsbin, but if you're not able to solve it within a specific time, then look at the solution they gave you. Then after you understood it, write that code on your jsbin to solve it. However, it doesn't work (I did not change any codes at all, parts of the codes were already given when you open the file, so that it will show 'it's working' or 'it's not working'), so I had to copy and paste the same code from the solutions to the jsbin to make it work. Meaning there were already some kind of typos in the given problem to solve.
    • You don't have lifetime access to the course materials unless you stayed at least 3 months in the course. What if people finish in less than 3 months, then they're forced to stay extra long and pay that extra month/s in order to receive lifetime access?

By no means, I'm trying to make you change your mind if you do decide to join Thinkful. This is all from my personal experience and personal thoughts on the course. I don't recommend it to those who are just starting out as a beginner, but if you do have experience with coding, then Thinkful is for you.

• Dont be fooled
    - 1/26/2017
    Anonymous • Worker bee • Applicant
    As far as the graduation rate and job placement,like many schools they promise wonderful things. Its just a matter of having the means to attend one of these schools or camps. My experience with my advisor or whatever they call themseleves was very simplistic. Simple in that once he found out i was living patcheck to paycheck i didnt matter much. Its quite understandeable but i dont think many people new to a career change are actually realizing how much 4 to 6 months without work can literally destroy a life especially if you have a family to care for. So I have 3 realistic options. 1. I can give up my low paying job and have me and my family stay in low income dangerous housing,going hungry from time to time and not knowing how bills will get paid 2. Keep my job and in my very little free time try and be self taught which will get me the experience in about 5 to 6 years. 3. I cannot get a loan for any real amount of money (if i could i wouldnt need to switch careers) so actually option 3 is off the table. Will the world be able to fill these 1.4 million programmer positions by 2020? With people like me probably not but what do i know i make minimum wage. So Thinkful and all you other schills;no thats not a typo, quit pumpin numbers about graduation rates and job placement. We all know theres TONS of jobs out there but until someone comes up with a realistic way for normal everyday people who have bills to attend these schools then youll just be another Kaplan or ITT tech

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here