thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, and design. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (513) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (79) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, SQL, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    Rolling Start Date
    Online, Detroit, Atlanta, Washington, Los Angeles, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, Dallas, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Austin, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    Self-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    Rolling Start Date
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Intermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    September 30, 2019
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Advanced degree
    September 30, 2019 - OnlineApply by August 4, 2019
    November 18, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
    January 2, 2020 - OnlineApply by December 11, 2019
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/pricing/#financing
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 21, 2019
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
    Options:https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/full-time/#payment-options
    October 21, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 2, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - OnlineApply by November 18, 2019
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 2, 2019
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/nights-weekends/#pricing
    October 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 2, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - OnlineApply by November 18, 2019
  • Product Design Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/product-design/flexible/#pricing

• Full Stack Flex
    - 5/20/2019
    Timothy  User Photo
    Timothy • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am currently in Thinkful's Full Stack Flex program, and I'm very happy with my decision. I was initially planning on doing a local in-person bootcamp. I wanted the face to face mentorship and the opportunity to have an immediate network of local partners. I decided to go with Thinkful primarily for two reasons (aside from being able to keep my day job while I learn...):

1) Mentorship. I have learned a ton by meeting with my mentor twice a week. And since it is a self-paced program (unlike a structured local bootcamp) I'm not held back by the class when I easily understand a concept, and I'm not rushed past a concept when I am slower to understand it. Also, I have a regional advocate, a project manager, that helps with bigger picture things, and helps support a local community of learners.

2) Job guarantee. Although I feel confident that if I put in the work that Thinkful is preparing me to enter the industry, I don't need blind faith. Thinkful is transparent about its outcomes, and reports are released by a third party (CIRR). Basically, if you can graduate, you are extremely likely to find a job. The caveat seems to be that because the barrier to entry is low for Thinkful, a lot of people don't make it through the program (roughly half). I am committed to taking it seriously and putting in the hours, and I am on pace to graduate on time. Even if I can't find work upon graduation (which I don't think will be the case), I am guaranteed my money back.

This program is not easy, especially while working a full-time job and being a father of two young children. For background context, I have a B.S. degree in Science, and have been putting in pretty close to the 25 hours a week to keep nicely on pace for the 6-month graduation.

• Peter Szujewski   User Photo
    Peter Szujewski • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I completed the full time program and found a job pretty much right away. That is, however, not always the case for everyone, so if you do the course make sure you are prepared to spend at least 3 months looking for a job. It's really a matter of luck and being at the right place at the right time. If you treat looking for a job like a job though you should be able to find something.

My advice to anyone considering this program is to first spend a good amount of time working through free online materials to make sure web development/ coding is a good fit for you. I spent about 5-6 months working through codecademy and free code camp before committing to thinkful. I learned how to work with html, css, JS, jQuery at a beginner-level on my own. I went to a couple tech meetups in my area to see if I had similar interests with people already in the field.

Besides preparing me to be successful for thinkful's program, doing the prep work confirmed that this was somethig I actually wanted to do. If you have a good time working through those tutorials and you enjoy working on small projects with jQuery, you will be successful in the program. Read about nodeJS and reactJS and see if it really interests you. Good luck and enjoy the process!

• C.C.  User Photo
    C.C. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Thinkful provided me with just the program I was looking for. At the time, I was working full time as an engineer in the chemicals industry and I was unhappy with my role and really wanted a change. Through Thinkful's program I was able to keep my job while working through the program online on evenings and weekends. I was a grueling time commitment juggling both, but it turned out to be a great decision and I'm so happy I went for it. I met with my mentor 3 times a week online and in enabled me to learn to code faster than the online tutorials I'd worked through on my own. Being on the outside of an industry looking in, I found it incredibly valuable to to have access to skilled developers and live online QA sessions where you could ask questions and benefit from the developers' years experience and while also getting a feel for the latest tech and industry practices. Also when it can time to interview, a mentor recommendation meant a lot. Thinkful also does a great job with career support. Initially, I thought this would just entail someone helping me polish up my resume and portfolio, but it much more. In career coaching sessions we would talk though how to strategically approach job searching, applying and interviewing, which was very helpful. They are also very proactive in connecting you with potential employers, wherever your location. They worked with me to help me connect with employers in the city where I wanted to relocate. There can be cons to learning online, but it worked out well for me in the time I could commit.  After the program, I was able to switch industries and land a job as Jr. Software Engineer. I'd highly recommend the program!

• David Gonen  User Photo
    David Gonen • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am a serial entrepreneur who has worked extensively with developers in the past as a project / product manager.  Made the decision it was time to learn to code myself, with the goal of increasing my independence in starting a project or building a quick prototype.  I researched and spoke with graduates of several of the well known bootcamps. I wanted a path towards learning React & React Native.  And as I looked at various bootcamps and their curriculums, I realized I preferred a remote bootcamp.  I have never done as well sitting in a classroom compared to learning on my own.  But I had already realized that learning to code on your own is very difficult, there are so many pitfalls and ways of getting totally stuck at.  Those reasons are why Thinkful's approach appealed so much to me.  It allowed me to self-study as much as I like, with regular mentor session available for me to ask all my specific questions of where I was confused or stuck.  Also it was somewhat early days for React, but they worked with me to modify their curriculum at the time to fit my goal.  Bottom line is I didn't find any other bootcamp that was flexible enough to fit my schedule, allow me to learn from anywhere, had the right curriculum, and allowed me to learn on my own as much as possible.

After the bootcamp I started building a few of my own projects, building on the Javascript & React fundamentals I learned at Thinkful to pickup redux, react native, & firebase.  I have now used my new skills to create several live apps (mobile & web).  And working with other developers is a totally different (better) experience, much easier to communicate and stay on task.

Next time I am in between projects I am thinking of advancing my knowledge using thinkful (either a backend developer course or perhaps design/UX)

• Brian McMinn  User Photo
    Brian McMinn • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Thinkful changed my life. I spent nine years in a career I hated. I was in sales, making great money but never felt any enjoyment out of my life. I dealt frequently with Software Engineers in my career and always wanted to be on their side.

I was shocked when I heard you could attend a bootcamp and better yet do it remotely. After months of research, I decided I would enroll in the Full Time Web Development Bootcamp. At first, it was hard, I wanted to quit. I stuck with it and was so glad I did.  I learned more in the past 4 months then I probably have learned in the past 10 years. I went from not knowing what a variable or loop was, to building full stack applications using Javascript and latest Javascript frameworks. Not only do you learn in the Thinkful, but Thinkful teaches you how to learn for the rest of your life helping you continually build on your skills.

The special thing about Thinkful in addition to their curiccullum is something you cannot get from an Udemy or Pluralsight. It is the Thinkful community you are surrounded with. I spent 10 hours a day, 5 days a week and some weekends with the same 12 people in my cohort. We grew close as developers and also made some great friends / potential colleagues one day. I also grew close with the staff and we talk regularly even after the completion of the bootcamp.

The mentoring in Thinkful is second to none. I grew close with my mentor and he helped me every step of the way. There is no substitute from 1 on 1 mentorship and Thinkful has hired a great team of mentors to help students like me along the way. The mentorship alone is reason enough to enroll in this course.

Enrolling in Thinkful does not mean you willl get a free ride. You truly get what you put in. It is not easy, you must study and eat, sleep and breathe coding all day to truly become ready to enter the job market. But if you listen to them and "trust the process" I guarantee you will be a competent developer by the end and more skilled than people from many other bootcamps.

I started Thinkful in January and Graduated in May. It is now July and I start a job this week as a developer making almost a $100K income. I cannot thank Thinkful enough and highly recommend this program to anybody on the fence.

• Nick C.  User Photo
    Nick C. • Front End Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

Yes ... going through the program got me a position as a Front End Developer coding in ReactJS.  I couldn't have got there with out them. Thinkful is amazing ... They stuck with me through it all and were absolutely decidated to my success.

For full-time, the classes are live online and you work in a collaborative, pair programing environment with students around the US using tools like Slack, Screen Hero, and in a live tool similar to Google Hangout. You have a dedicated mentor that you meet with every weekday evening to help you with anything you didn't quite understand. And, they also have multiple live mentor Q&A and workshops every day. The curiculum was focused around the MERN stack (Mongo, Express, ReactJS, Node) in and using Javascript ES6/ES7 ... so, is very current and applicable to the current job market.

After graducation, we had daily career meetings where they helped with anything I needed (extra mentoring, reviewing code when job interviews required projects, advice, and encouragement) to weekly one-on-one meetings with a dedicated career coach to advise me on everything from my resume to how to search for a tech job to understanding what was working/what wasn't.

• Dom C  User Photo
    Dom C • Software Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

Thinkful has been an awesome experience. I joined after taking a few primers on web development through Udemy/Udacity and I found that it was the best deal out there as far as web dev bootcamps go. What sets Thinkful apart is that you are really left to your own devices when it comes to solving problems so it really teaches you how to be resourceful and ask good questions when you're not meeting with a mentor. You're also not on a rigid in-person schedule like most bootcamps so this is great for people who are changing careers but dont have the ability to dive in 100% just yet.

They also do a lot to prepare you for networking, interviews, code challenges and beyond. The projects you build go right into your portfolio and its totally on you as to how far you want to take your projects. You can also slow down any part of the course due to its flexible schedule and proceed when you understand and are ready.

As for price, you get the most bang for your buck with Thinkful, but you have to be somewhat disciplined yourself in order to get the most out. You really get out of it what you put in so give it your 110% and you can get all the quality of a $20,000 in person bootcamp without spending 12 hours on site.

• Life Changing
    - 7/11/2017
    Mike  User Photo
    Mike • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came into Thinkful's Full Stack Web Development Flex program with very minimal knowledge of coding beforehand. What I learned by myself in 3 months, we covered in 3 weeks at Thinkful. My mentor is amazing and put in extra time when I needed it. I went from being a broke musician, driving for lyft, to being an employed frontend developer in 8 months! I could not ask for a better experience.

Be aware, that you will probably have to put in more time than they say upfront. The curriculum is pretty good, but they are a few sections where additional resources are needed ( you can find them for free ). Everyone learns at a different pace, but I averaged 30-40 hours a week in the flex program, so be prepared to kiss your social life goodbye for 6 months! But if you are willing to make that commitment, you will not only get a job when you graduate, but you will crush it at your new job!

• A Great Program
    - 6/24/2017
    L.J.  User Photo
    L.J. • Student Verified via GitHub

I was incredibly skeptible of bootcamps. The claims of becoming job-ready in x months seemed too good to be true. I started learning on my own through some of the free resources but I couldn't stay motivated. I got back in touch with my old friend, Elias, who's a mentor at Thinkful. Testimony from an individual I trusted helped nudge me in the right direction.

When I enrolled with Thinkful, I had a beginner's understanding of HTML, CSS and jQuery but I had no idea how to apply these skills to real-world applications. From the beginning, the curriculum is written in a way that the materials being covered can be easily-translated to the real world.

Working with my mentor, Rachel, has been fantastic. Both she and my project manager challenge me to perfect my projects and assignments. Rachel gave me direction and guidance from the early stages of the Front-End course which prepared me for the later courses like React.

There is nothing new or original about Thinkful's curriculum. They are not reinventing the wheel, nor should they. The value comes from the experience. I meet with Rachel 3 times a week, there are Q&A sessions multiple times a day which are run by mentors and open to all students, there is a Slack channel for students to get in touch with mentors and other students, and career counselors. All of these resources help me to see other perspectives on how to do things and connect with fellow newbies. I am building a network while I am still learning, which is priceless!

I have been enrolled with Thinkful for a little over 3 months now and I am very happy with my decision. I would recommend Thinkful to anyone looking to get serious about a new career in Web Development, as long as they are willing to commit to the time and energy it takes to complete this or any bootcamp.

• Dustin  User Photo
    Dustin Verified via GitHub

I joined Thinkful's Flexible Bootcamp last November. It was very good at the beginning and I felt as though I was learning a lot. Once the course got to Node, I started to fall behind and I couldn't understand the lessons very well. My instructor, M____(want to keep his name anonymous), was definitely a good guy and very flexible with scheduling, but oftentimes would do things for me and not explain why he was doing things. There was a bit of a language barrier, too, which made communication difficult at times and limited his ability to explain.

I admittedly didn't have as much time as I would have liked to work on programming (averaged 15-20 hours/week), but I did go over the course material over and over to no avail. I found the Thinkful course material lacking, especially starting at Node and for React. There's a lot that's just glossed over. I guess you're expected to seek out the materials yourself but that's a bit unfair considering how much you're paying for the course.

I'm 2 months over the expected 6 months at this point after project requirement changes mid-course that also stalled my progress. For instance, you're expected to make a landing page for your projects now, a requirement added in at random. I understand they want us to have the best portfolio possible, but it's annoying when you're not given these expectations up front.

Two of my projects keep breaking at this point and I tried scheduling a time with my program manager but he blew me off yesterday. Not sure what to do at this point. I think most people would be better off self-learning through Udemy, Coursera, Pluralsight, and Stack Overflow, to be quite honest. I wanted to belive in Thinkful but I was pretty let down.

• Jami  User Photo
    Jami • Teacher, small business owner, soon-to-be Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

It's difficult to know where to start with an update on my review. I just recently graduated from Thinkful- because I was hired as a Junior Developer. SO much is going through my head as I write this review, but I will start with this: If you are considering bootcamp, Thinkful will help you reach your goals!

I started this program with a little experience in HTML & CSS. I didn't really understand either of them, if that helps you know what "a little experience" means, but I loved learning it. I was an elementary teacher, looking for a way to help provide for my family, love what I do, and not spend 70-80 hours a week trying to keep my head above water. I loved my students, but the workload was unsustainable. I wanted to connect my love for learning with my new-found fascination with writing code.

I knew that I could not truly learn to code and change careers on my own with the job I had, family, and other demands for time. I began looking into bootcamps, and was quickly discouraged at the time commitment and cost. But then I stumbled across part-time, or flexible, bootcamps. Thinkful was one of many that I considered and interviewed. Ultimately,  the staff, their system, and the job guarantee won me over. Every staff member with whom I spoke was helpful and informative. The system is set up for students to succeed. I found very few bootcamps that offered the amount of support Thinkful did- from 3 one-on-one mentor sessions weekly, to a program manager available any time, and career services to boot.

I spoke with career services very early on, and the person I spoke with strongly encouraged me to network. That is not something I enjoy or do well. However, because of the way she helped me understand its importance, I jumped out there and tried it. Eventually, it led to my first interview as a developer. And a position as a Junior Developer in a company I love.

I could not end this review without mentioning my incredible Mentor. My journey has not been all rainbows and cupcakes- I held down a full-time job, took care of my family, and often on my days off traveled to do teacher trainings. While learning Javascript. And jquery. And Node. And React. And so many things I thought I would NEVER actually "get". My mentor walked me through it, gave me specific exercises to help me understand, encouraged me, and told me when I needed to put forth more effort. On our last call, when I told him I appreciated him and could not have done this without him, he said, "Oh you definitely could. I was just here to be your sidekick and help you know you could." He is truly one of the greatest teachers, because he stuck it out with me even when I wasn't sure I could do this.

I am grateful for this experience and the opportunity to begin this exciting new career where I can, and will be expected to, learn constantly, be on a team making tools to share with the world, and solve incredibly complex problems. If that sounds exciting to you, call someone at Thinkful now!!

• Avi Zajac  User Photo
    Avi Zajac • Student Verified via GitHub

I want to disclose that the reason I am a current student at Thinkful is made fully possible through a full tuition scholarship recipient from Out in Tech. It has been a wild adventure to get to this point of my life and it's something I wake up every day to going, "Oh golly this really is still real and happening, that's so darling."

For anyone else like myself who really loves to break and find things, it truly is worth finding out how the folks who design the things that you like to break think. It also is most certainly helpful to be able to actually build that same thing from scratch beginning to end and ask yourself: is this actually secure, am I part of the problem, too? It has been an extroardinary experience working through that which I accept as a very happy challenge to myself.

Going into this program I knew I'd be going into a structured program with the trendy/popular full stack they're gearing students towards. What I didn't expect was for my mentor to figure out how I learn best, how I think or see problems, and use that to help me get a much richer and fuller understanding than the course itself alone. I'm a massive generalist so to have my mentor reach into my security and hacker community backgrounds to connect everything I know and the course together to fill in the gaps I do have has been absolutely wonderful.

The mentors are by far what truly make this program what it is for me. That's not to say the instructors and TA's aren't, they are most definitely that other huge chunk. Yet it really is up to you to decide on what path you want to take, what you want out of the program, and your mentor will be there to help guide you down the way you want to go.

Before I forget if you're in a Thinkful city like DC there are a lot of meet ups plus dinners for students and mentors together! They're absolutely darling and I highly recommend going to them even if you're not a registered student (for the regular public meet ups of course).

The full time program is intensive. If you come from prior experience, however, you may end some specific days during certain parts of the bootcamp earlier than expected. Especially if you know what '1=1' is for times you focus on databases. On the other hand you make up for it by helping other pairs understand it, working with your mentor on more advance concepts, and working on other things.

Paired programming is something I never got to truly experience growing up messing around in the way we work in the full time program. There is a really lovely mix if folks in my cohort when it comes to prior experience. Getting a chance to work with everyone whether they have a comp sci degree or are a former lawyer is really exciting to see what they bring with them to the program.

You learn a lot about yourself, I don't think I've self reflected nearly this much about myself in how I interact with people in a long while.

There's so much I want to talk about alas I think this is a long review already. If you really want to talk more about the program with me it shouldn't be that hard to reach me! Hope you all have a darling day.

• Tommy M.  User Photo
    Tommy M. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been in the Thinkful Flexible Bootcamp for a little over a month now. I have learned so much within this short period of time with the very thorough curriculum, mentorship three times a week to help me work through my most recent problems, and the community that Thinkful has around it to propel me as a lifelong learner and student of software development. I took a lot of thought into picking a coding bootcamp that helped me accomplish my goals and flexible enough to give me the opportunity to grow as a programmer.

I highly recommend Thinkful for anyone who wants to level up their skills. Whether it's server-side programming, learning asynchronous programming, or learning how to solve software problems with algorithms and data structures. I have been coding little over a year now. Since being in this program, I have learned invaluable advice from some of the best in the field. With all this said,  this bootcamp gives an individual everything they need to succeed but it's up to the individual to apply and grow to acheive what they desire. Good luck and happy coding!

• Game Changer
    - 5/16/2017
    Jacob A.  User Photo
    Jacob A. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I would like to admit that I was a big skeptic of bootcamps and people claiming 'it was a life changing event for them', at first. Seemed like propaganda to me.

One day a friend came up to me and said that he had joined Thinkful, out of the blue mind you. Of course, this had me a little more interested in bootcamps, because now I had an inside voice and a test dummy for me. Win!

After hearing him talk about how great Thinkful is and showing me all that he has built in less than a month, I was in.

I knew I had to make a change in my career soon, and Thinkful did that just that and more for me.

After about 4 months in this course, I am still amazed how much I have actually learned in 4 months. 4 MONTHS. That is nothing realistically. But hear I am developing FULL_STACK apps, by myself and with others (pair programming is an indispensable skill to learn)!

Even though I am paying a tuition, I still think I won't ever be able to repay them for everything I have accomplished. From becoming a developer to all the way to learning how to work better with others, it is all thanks to them!

So if you are like I was, a skeptic, I would highly recommend you check out Thinkful.

If you have any questions about my experience at Thinkful or just want to talk more, please feel free to reach out to me on twitter: https://twitter.com/jacoboutlaw or on my LinkedIn ^

• Hazel D.  User Photo
    Hazel D. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Before my first day of learning at Thinkful, I had minimal knowledge on programming. I dabbled with some exercises in Free Code Camp and Codeacademy, but I felt that I would personally benefit from a mentor who could help me further understand the logic of the code, answer my questions, and recommend best practices. I looked through a variety of online and on-site programs and thought that Thinkful fit my needs: it offered a flexible track (which was ideal since I worked full-time), emphasized the mentor-mentee model, had a supportive community both online and on-site, and a team from career services to guide you on the job hunt. ​

I found Thinkful's curriculum to be organized and straightforward. They lay out the basics and take you through advanced lessons with examples and exercises. They also have assignments and capstones that help you really solidify what you have learned while being creative with your personal projects (which is always fun!).

I will say that there were some topics that I thought could have been explained clearly and thoroughly. With that, you would need to constantly use Google, StackOverflow and other resources to research topics that may seem unclear. To add onto this, you have your mentor, Thinkful/Slack community and Q&A sessions hosted by mentors on a variety of topics that you can turn to for questions; they are usually very responsive and helpful.

As many reviews here have said, this curriculum will be difficult at times. Given that there is so much to learn in a short amount of time, it is completely understandable that anyone can feel frustrated or overwhelmed (I know I did!). But don't give up! Throughout this track, you would need to stay patient, dedicated and willing to work hard. It will pay off nicely in the end, especially when you complete those capstones.

Instructors/Community:

Students get an hour-long mentor session three times a week. Mentor sessions could include anything from curriculum Q&As, coding exercises/pair programming, or interview prep. My mentor Aleksandar Grbic has been nothing short of amazing. As someone who comes from a background completely unrelated to tech, I first felt intimidated by all the new information. Alex has helped me better understand programming concepts by offering clear explanations. For instance, I started off from "What is an object??" to building projects that use them. He has been patient, thorough, understanding, and would offer advice on real-world expectations in the world of web development, which is extremely valuable.

This may vary by city, but we have a local Thinkful group managed by the awesome Peter Kim in Atlanta, GA. We meet bi-weekly to meet other Thinkful students and mentors, showcase capstone projects (and gaining feedback), go through coding challenges, and ask mentors questions. We also learn more about the local tech industry through meet-ups/events or job opportunities shared by mentors and students. I love my Thinkful family and their passion for coding. I would say that our meetings have truly enriched my experience.

While I am not yet at the point of working with the career services team, I have participated in a web conference that interviewed Thinkful graduates about their experiences on finding jobs. Overall, it seemed like a positive experience. I could also note other instances where people from the Thinkful community have assisted in making the job hunt easier. On Slack, students would post their resumes or portfolio pages for review and receive feedback. In my local Thinkful group, we would share opportunities to attend recruiting events together. There were also some mentors who would assist you in finding leads in some companies.

I'm currently on my fourth month of the flexible web development track, and looking back, I have to say that I definitely learned so much that I can now confidently create awesome projects that I am passionate about. Because of its dedication to student success, I would highly recommend Thinkful.

• Jeremy A.  User Photo
    Jeremy A. • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Background:

A close friend of mine at work very randomly one day said to me "Jeremy, you are way too smart to be stuck working here for the rest of your life.  I was reading an article about computer coding a couple days ago, I think you should check it out."  To say computer coding was not on my radar, would not even give that under statement a fair shot as an under statement.  Let's more accurately describe my knowledge/interest in computer coding ..... I have never one time in my entire life given it an iota of thought, until Kenny approached me with the suggestion.  So, self-inventory time, as I'm sitting at home, a few hours after Kenny had unkowingly changed the path of my existence.  Wife-yes, Offspring-yes, Mortgage-yes, Work Stability-yes, Great Friends-yes, Basic Needs Met-yes, Good Health-yes, Complacent-yes, Lackadaisical-Yes, Indifferent-Yes Uninterested-yes.  Immediately all neon arrows were pointing to the only part of my life that wasn't seemingly perfect, causing the last 4 inventory items to be Yes.  I had been working the same brain-dead job for 7 years, and I was wasting away mentally without realizing it.  So, yeah .... let's give computer coding a shot.

The Course:

Currently, I am 35 years old.  The first 25, I spent nearly the entire year freezing to death, in nowhereville Michigan.  The last 10, I have spent nearly the entire year sweating to death, in nowhereville Florida.

The above statement at first glance, will more often then not, be perceived as a negative statement, because of three words.  Human nature teaches us that freezing and sweating, and of course death, are not good things.

Currently, I am 35 years old.  The first 25, I spent nearly the entire year cozied up next to the fireplace, in nowhereville Michigan.  The last 10, I have spent nearly the entire year basking in the beautiful sun, in nowhereville Florida.

Not so bad after a couple replacements were inserted, eh?

I've been in the Flexible Web Development Bootcamp for just over 2 months.  I quickly learned that if this is not something that you very very very very much, deep down, have the passion to apply/challenge/dedicate/sacrifice/trust yourself, to name a few ..... then you're going to view this job field as the first description of FL/MI.  But, for me ... a fire has been lit.  I have never been so enthralled and full of life, in my life.  This short journey has already brought back so much of what I forgot I had inside of me, LIFE! I'm alive again, not some dope wandering through every single day, waiting for the yearly vacation. My wife asked me, "Honey, why did you wait so long? You are a different person!" That's a good question, but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

It's all the things that you would expect from a career with endless potential in a multitude of different arenas, nothing will be handed to you on a silver platter.  This is something you take, you go get it, and you take it, and you don't slow down or stop until you get it.  I'm not there yet, but I will be, .... oh, I will be.

Mentors:

B. Bowers is my mentor.  He is one of the coolest, most laid back, unfair to the rest of society level of brilliant dudes that I have ever met.  I have only known him for a little over 2 months and I look forward everyday, to our time spent intensely obsessing over whatever we are working on at the moment, both of us so locked into working the problem until it's solution is found.  Then we enjoy a tiny shared victory, and right back in we go.  He's the epitomy of the calm during the storm, he'll repeat the same thing to me as calm and slow the 7th time as he did the 1st. time he said it.  Geniune care and concern for my well-being, and for the well-being of my future and that of my family, oh and btw, he is also brilliantly and seamlessly walking me properly/purposefully/perfectly into one of the most thought invoking, complex, detail oriented, do it right or don't do it at all careers in the world.

That will come, of this I know!

Overall:

I could not be happier if I tried.

Shout Out: Noel, I think for 1 month a year, Noel should be sent on a vacation of his choice, wherever, with money filled pockets(not his money)  I counted a little bit ago in my email. During a 4 month period, from his reply to my first horrified email, to his last reply, introducing me to my mentor.(ending with 'hope to hear from you soon')  From a standpoint of what I needed from him, in his over 20+ replies to every single of my emails, he never missed replying to one of them mind you, he absolutely could not have given me a more perfect/relevant/timely/information rich/calming/reassuring/confidence boosting response in regards to what my previous email was requesting of him, ever.  He was overly perfect at getting me exactly and usually more than what I needed.  Noel, brother, you are an amazing amazing man for what you do, and with the passion that you do it with over and over and over and over for all of us.  You're never stale, it's always fresh, sincere and real.  For that, I will forever be in your debt for guiding me through the process to get here.

• Sub-par
    - 5/6/2017
    Casey B.  User Photo
    Casey B. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Background:
    My previous full-time job was completely unrelated to programming. I had a few hobbies that surrounded computers (gaming, computer building) and I had spent some previous time with self study using free online resources and taking a couple community college CS courses. I had tried teaching myself C++ as a young teen and quickly realized how difficult that was, thus abandoning my early CS career. My current job was very stressful with long hours and no appreciation and little to show for it. So I can to the conclusion something had to be done and decided to look back at something that had interested me enough to attempt self learning with C++.

The Course:
    I spent 3 months in this Front-End Web Development course. At that time, it was said to usually take 3-4 months for most students. The material was not that deep and kept mostly to the surface of various web development topics. This was helpful for beginners and was nice to get a overall foundation, however, you soon got to a point where you needed more advanced knowledge in order to actually do anything real world related and the course did not have support for that. In addition, the course would almost always refer to outside resources for their course content. I understand that they did not want to reinvent the wheel when a wheel was already perfectly available; it still gave the nasty taste of a company charging heavy fees to just point you to the Internet. Obviously, this material is not easy, and if you're expecting something simple and fast, you're looking in the wrong field. Having said that, this course would be great for early beginners. Though, when it comes to job application time, you will not be prepared to land a job. The skills you gain in this course are insufficient for being employed and the projects are too simple and too superficial to be of any use for anyone or to showcase necessary skills.

Mentors:
    Initially, I was matched with a mentor who did seem very intelligent but not completely integrated into the Thinkful process. She was on the older side, which is perfectly fine, except she didn’t seem in touch with the most recent web development tools and frameworks, which was severely limited since that’s what the course was made for. She was never prepared for our meetings and only relied on me to ask questions. This was a super frustrating experience for a new developer because I did not know what I did not know and was very much relying on my mentor’s expertise to help guide the way. If I just wanted to teach myself and ask questions when I knew I had them, I would have just done freecodecamp and stackoverflow. Ultimately, I should have switched mentors to see what else was out there.

Job assistance:
    Unfortunately, at the time of me taking this course, Thinkful promised assistance with job placement, however, they did absolutely nothing in this regard. I received no help, no communication, and no offer of assistance during my entire time in the course and since. I was very disappointed with this as even just reviewing my portfolio/online presence, or technical interview prep would have been great.

Overall:
    This course was sub par even considering it cost less than other bootcamps. The material is challenging in that its a new field, but you do not dig very deep, they constantly link you to other materials, career services was non-existent for me, and my mentor was not helpful. The course may be different now, but my experience was not positive.

• Great Course
    - 4/29/2017
    Walter Bottlick  User Photo
    Walter Bottlick • Senior Web Producer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took the Frontend Web Development course, and I found it to be great and my mentor very helpful. She was always willing to walk me through the various processes that I wasn't able to learn on my own in order to accomplish the course goals. The one on one meetings were much more valuable than the larger classroom settings I've been a part of in the past.

• Jim Strother  User Photo
    Jim Strother • none, see review Verified via GitHub

I signed up in November of 2015 full of hope and excitement for my future.  I enrolled into the front-end web development courses and also the node course.  My first mentor was great and we got along very well.  Then in March, 2016, I was suddenly assigned to a different mentor without any prior warning.  I logged in to the usual session time and was told that somebody new was going to guide me through.  At first, everything was going well, but soon he started missing sessions with no notice.  I should have asked to get another mentor, but felt I was very close to finishing so I continued with him.

In July, 2016, my program director told me that he was confident I was ready to graduate and when I sent him my portfolio, he said that it was good enough for him and had me start working with a designer to polish it up.  She gave me a few pointers to make my portfolio better.  The issue with her was that she kept telling me to use my design skills, even though I never took design courses.  I told her that I hadn't taken those courses and was only a developer, but she kept telling me to "use your design skills, use your design skills!"

After three months, THREE MONTHS, of this, somehow another program director got looped into the discussion and he told me that my portfolio, the very same portfolio approved by the first program director, violated Thinkful's own standards for graduation portfolios.  At this point, I had now been enrolled in the 6-8 month program for a full year and he wanted me to redo each and every single one of my projects in the portfolio.  When I told him that it had been approved by the other director, and that I had been in the program for over a year, he said I only had to redo two of them.

From November to December of 2016, I worked on it and the second director was telling me that everything was looking good and he would have somebody from career services reach out to me.  All through January, 2017 I was getting this promise until one day I told him that I was tired of being strung along and either I would have contact with career services or get a refund of my tuition.  Finally, I was put in contact with career services and started what was supposed to be six months of career placement assistance.

She bailed after two months telling me that she would have to seek approval for more sessions with me.  The problem with that was when I signed up, at this point, 18 months prior, I was given a promise of six full months of career placement assistance.  Understandably, I was rather confused as to why she would only work with me for two months.

I worked my tail off each day while I was taking my courses, coming home from a full-time job and putting in several hours in the evening, and several more Saturday and Sunday as well.  I did what they asked of me and trusted them when they said I was ready to graduate and my portfolio was good enough to go.  Now, I'm stuck in limbo, not having the promised career placement help, and they aren't responding to my emails.  If I had to do this all over again, I would have chosen somebody else such as the Odin Project, where they don't charge tuition until after you get a job, or even Free Code Camp.

Thinkful broke every promise they made to me.  Every single one.  I truly regret going through this bootcamp.

• Connor Ericson  User Photo
    Connor Ericson • Student Verified via GitHub

Background:
    My full-time job was completely unrelated to programming. I had a few hobbies that surrounded computers (gaming, computer building) and I had just started working on the front-end portion of a free codecademy lesson (HTML/CSS). I was looking for another career that would challenge me everyday and could give me a way to be creative and design experiences for people for a variety of reasons. This career also has the benefit of bringing in more money than I was making at my other job.

The Course:
    I've been in the 6-month flexible full stack course for about 4 months now. I have learned more practical technical skills in that time than I ever thought possible. With that said, this course is not easy, and if you're expecting something simple and fast, you're looking in the wrong field. The course is written to challenge you and force you to work through problems using skills its shown. It also challenges you to use the most important resource known to any developer: Google. I gave the Curriculum a 4/5 because at times I am frustrated by it, but that is remedied by the one-on-one attention I'm given from my mentor.

Mentors:
    Initially, I was matched with a mentor who did not seem completely onboard with the whole process. I'm not sure if he was new or burnt out, but our first two conversations weren't what I was hoping to get out of the course. I spoke to my program manager and he was immediately willing to move me to another mentor, the one I currently work with, without very much prompting. I was very happy with how flexible he was willing to be to make sure I got what I needed to learn. Just being able to be open and honest with the manager has been a huge help and my new mentor is also responsive to my needs as a learner. My program manager is also always willing to meet during times available on his calendy. This is a HUGE benefit because it affords me the contact of multiple professionals in the field, giving me that much more mentorship. On top of that, Q&A sessions are available from a variety of other mentors during specific times, during which I'm able to ask specific questions. Funny enough, my mentor is very much into server-side coding, and my manager is the biggest CSS/front-end enthusiast I’ve met. Having both of them to teach and guide me has been absolutely amazing.

Job assistance:
    Although I haven't even reached the end of my time in Thinkful, I’m already able to work with local mentors to start a job search. It is extremely important to attend meetups if they are available in your area, as these provide opportunities to network and meet other professionals, some of whom may be hiring. At one such meetup, I made an arrangement with a Thinkful manager to showcase one of my projects and to meet some professionals in the field at a company nearby.

Overall:
    This course is for the dedicated and determined, but it's not like college or another school. You’re working with real professionals in the field who can teach you exactly what you need to be successful.

• Robert Schamhart  User Photo
    Robert Schamhart • Student Verified via GitHub

Recently I completed the Frontend Web Development course (individual skilled course) after a period of 3 months, spending about 10/15 hours a week on the learning materials and exercises. Much more time, however, was spent on my capstone project in which you apply all you have learned.

The course was a great experience and very rewarding to me:

• The web portal is very user-friendly;
    • The learning material is not dry and strikes the right balance between theory and practical hands-on examples;
    • Being paired with a mentor, though is in my opinion, the real key to the success of Thinkful's course concept as it will motivate you to stay on track and in case stuck there is help out there. My mentor Andrew was amazing, very experienced, great communicator and very flexible in case life got in the way. He provided me with many great (re)sources which I (will) consult on a regular basis going forward. Also brainstorming with him about my capstone project was fun and very helpful.

This course did not feel like any other course in the sense that pretty much from day 1 you will be hands-on with quick results. All exercises are interesting and for the more elaborate exercises (interactive quiz, capstone project) it is up to you how to fill them in, as long as it meets the given requirements.

The course felt definitely more as a "hobby" than a "tedious" learning experience.

• Maria  User Photo
    Maria • Student Verified via GitHub

If you're currently reading this review it's probably because you're considering Thinkful among other web development bootcamp options. Based on my experience, I highly advise that you seriously consider choosing Thinkful.

I finished the flexible full-stack development program around 2 months ago and I am now working as a Front End Engineer. For me, this is simply incredible! a year ago I wouldn't have dreamed of having this position and all the skills and knowledge that I now have thanks to the program.

Even though my experience in Thinkful was fantastic, I will list the pros and cons of the program.

Pros:

- Working with an experienced software engineer as your mentor is incredibly valuable! Not only will they help you when you're stuck and explain to you the curriculum, but they will teach you best practices and give you insights about the industry. My mentor was simply amazing. Our sessions were fun, interesting, challenging, and motivating. I would always look forward to our sessions! And he would always help me when I got stuck with my projects even outside of our sessions through Slack.

- Apart from your mentor, you have a large support network. I got a lot of support from my program manager (who is also amazing), especially in the final stages of the program. After I completed the program, other Thinkful mentors were very supportive with my job search.

- The curriculum is very thorough and up to date with industry standards. Learning React gave me a huge advantage in my job search!

- When you complete the program, you have a portfolio ready to show to employers.

- The program's flexibility is great when you have a job or cannot dedicate yourself full-time to study.

- After you complete the program, you are assigned a career coach who helps you write your resume, cover letter, and prepares you for interviews. The team at Career Services can also introduce you to companies and potential employers. I found the sessions with my coach to be very helpful in my job search and without a doubt helped me to land the job that I wanted.

Cons:

- Since it is online, you don't meet people in person, so its hard to make friends and/or study peers.

- You need to be very disciplined with your hours of study. This is really not a problem if you love coding, but you should consider it if you're committing to take the program.

- Unless you have previous experience in coding and/or you have a natural ease for coding, you will spend a lot longer than the time estimates given to complete each exercise.

- Sometimes the notes are not very clear and/or thorough. That being said, the curriculum is updated and improved on a continuous basis.

As the title of this review states, Thinkful is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would definitely recommend taking this program!

• Lisa A. • Student
    I was looking for a flexible/part-time data analytics course available online and, after reading up about the program (here on CR!) & then discussing it with someone in admissions at Thinkful, I decided it was worth it. What attracted me to the program was the careers assistance portion as well as the mentoring and the number of Capstone projects (3) that you have to complete.

It is a text-based learning format where you follow along and then complete checkpoints (ie: mini-projects in Excel, Tableau, Postgresql & Python) and submit them for review. They use pgAdmin4 for the SQL portion and Google Colab for the Python modules & you will need to set up a Tableau Public profile.

It is a challenging program at times (I do have prior experience w/SQL & Python), but, it is very thorough. What's great is, if you ever get stuck on an assignment, there is always someone in technical support available via the Slack channel or, a workshop Q&A. (I can't say enough positive things about the technical support staff). Another aspect that I really appreciated was my mentor who was incredibly helpful and supportive whenever I had questions about a problem I was working on, or, if I had questions about whatever "real life" data analysts encounter. (You meet w/a mentor 2x/week).

One thing that I think set them apart from other programs that I researched (besides cost,) was the career modules including resume & LinkedIn profile guidance and mock interview prep. There are two rounds of each type of interview--behavioral, case and culture fit. Let's face it--everyone gets nervous in an interview, but, like anything else, if you practice, it helps. The feedback that I received from the mentors for the mock interviews was insightful and very helpful. They want you to succeed and they do push you to do your best.

Just remember, you have to put in the work. While the DA Flex program is a p/t program, this is not a program that you can complete on the weekends alone, you must devote a solid block of time every day. When learning anything new, especially coding--you have to be repetitive and keep at it so the concepts stick in your brain. I'm glad I enrolled and look forward to the next steps--to see where my new skills take me.

• David • Software Developer • Graduate

Note: My experience was with Thinkful's Engineering Immersion program. There are several tracks within Thinkful, and each is structured slightly differently.

Deciding to join a boot camp is a very nerve-wracking decision. For me, it was a total career change, so I wanted to minimize my risk as much as possible. I decided to go with Thinkful after seeing that they regularly post their job placement rates online and that they have a job placement guarantee.

The actual program ended up being extremely challenging. I put in anywhere from 40-70 hours a week, depending on that week's content. The material is challenging, but the pace felt spot on for what I wanted to get out of it. During the program I always felt pushed, a little overwhelmed at times. As a result, I left the program feeling like my skills were good enough to not only land a job, but to be comfortable in a new role.

For the Engineering Immersion program you'll meet with an instructor twice a day to go over the day's material and check in on everyone's progress. Then, you'll pair program with another student until the end of the day. There is always support from the instructors and from mentors. On a typical day, we could have someone helping us within 5-10 minutes if we really got stuck on a tricky concept. Having that support meant that I never felt like I was wasting my time. Twice a week you'll meet with your mentor to go over anything that you feel like you need help with. Finally, after the course is complete, you'll be assigned a career coach to help you navigate finding that first job. For me, landing that first gig took just under two months from graduation.

Thinkful is a challenging, rigorous program. If you're looking to skate through with minimal effort and start applying to jobs, this probably isn't the program for you. If you're looking to build solid foundational skills and put in the time to learn, then Thinkful has the right resources to help you succed.

• Tyler Barry • Student • Student

I’m just beginning to finish up my Fundamentals Modules for the Product design Track on Thinkful and so far I’m super impressed. I left my full full time job to pursue this and it’s hand down the best investment I’ve made in myself to date. The curriculum is super thorough (which is super helpful to someone with no experience in the field such as myself), and the feedback from the graders is always helpful (unless you pass right away, in which they usually say something that can be summed up in a “job well done”). My mentor is great, and is an awesome match personality wise. Having the two 45 minute one on one sessions each week is a huge perk. I don’t see how anyone could do this well with out them. If you’re hesitant and reading reviews to help make a decision, I say take the jump!

• Maya • Student • Student

I am a couple of months into Thinkful's full-stack flex program, and I could not be happier! For me, the most important thing has been my sessions with my mentor. Having one on one time with a seasoned developer is absolutely priceless. The program managers are amazing, they are there to cheer you on and be there for anything you might need. Then, there is the Thinkful Slack community, just open lines of communication and students, alum and support staff helping each other out non-stop. Establishing a portfolio early on to add to as you go is a major element that I am thrilled with, it is such a crucial component to have ready to go at the end of the program. It is clear from day one that Thinkful wants you to succeed and will be there with you every step of the way. This is a top-notch program, and I would recommend it to anyone!

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

92% of job obtainers reported salaries.