thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, and design. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (513) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (79) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, SQL, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    Rolling Start Date
    Online, Detroit, Atlanta, Washington, Los Angeles, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, Dallas, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Austin, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    Self-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    Rolling Start Date
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Intermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    September 30, 2019
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Advanced degree
    September 30, 2019 - OnlineApply by August 4, 2019
    November 18, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
    January 2, 2020 - OnlineApply by December 11, 2019
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/pricing/#financing
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 21, 2019
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
    Options:https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/full-time/#payment-options
    October 21, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 2, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - OnlineApply by November 18, 2019
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 2, 2019
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/nights-weekends/#pricing
    October 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 2, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - OnlineApply by November 18, 2019
  • Product Design Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/product-design/flexible/#pricing

• Anonymous • Primary School Teaching Assistant • Student

Are you totally intimidated by the phrase "Full Stack Web Developer"? I was too. Thinkful's entire Slack community dispelled my fears. Anytime I had a question, Thinkful was there to point me in the right direction. Anytime I was worried about career options or needed further support, Thinkful was there. My mentors were all engaged and helpful, and when (due to scheduling conflicts) I needed to switch to a new mentor in my first few weeks of the course, the mentorship manager was immediately on it to get me the connection I needed. The career services team is up-front, kind and thorough, and I have every confidence that they will be able to place me in the right network as I move past graduation.

• Nicole G  User Photo
    Nicole G • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you put in the time, Thinkful will be an amazing return on investment. I highly recommend the engineering immersion program for that reason-- the teaching assistances were key to my success. We learned the MERN stack, but having some knowledge in HTML/CSS/JavaScript or another language will aid you prior to starting the course. Expect to spend 40-50 hours a week minimum studying, so try some coding on your own and make sure you enjoy it! I loved pair programming with other classmates and I found a job before I graduated.

• Sean Bray  User Photo
    Sean Bray • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I participated in Thinkful's 6-month Flex Program and felt blown away by the results. Let me preface this by stating that I was a theatre major in college, so feel free to make any assumptions about my math ability from that. Thinkful's curriculum increases at a perfect pace to understand everything before moving on. I had several moments throughout the Bootcamp where I felt like I wasn't going to be able to grasp a topic, but without fail after 2 - 3 days learning about the topic I always came around. In short, this bootcamp is for people from all backgrounds and regardless of previous web development knowledge. After graduating I found a job working for Booz Allen Hamilton after one month.

• Brad Garner  User Photo
    Brad Garner • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Thinkful’s Engineering Immersion program was just what I needed to effectively enter tech. The mentors and instructors were smart, experienced, and helpful. The curriculum (mostly Node and React) was fresh and relevant. And a full month of data structures and algorithms was one of the programs’s selling points for me. Thinkful taught me how to continue learning well after graduation and starting a job.

• Ryan   User Photo
    Ryan • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had an awesome experience with Thinkful. It was a lot of work, even more time, a lot of frustration but even more reward.

Chris, our instructor that led the node/express portion of the course was literally one of the best teachers I have ever had. The amount of support by the TAs and mentors is unparelleled. If you are struggling there is no shame in asking for help and help you they will, everyone that had given me their assistance stayed with me until I thoroughly understood the concept in question. I also really liked the way most of the course was put together with instructor led lectures, then you break off into pairs to practice what the lecture was about and then ended the day with help from TAs and a mentor session to cover anything still not fully understood.

That being said there were some things that could be improved. I really did not like the consitancy with some of the instructors using vim as a code editor instead of vs code (which is what all the students used at the time). This discrepency was very hard to follow especially when learning react. During a topic or two that was covered, I think the instructors could have spent a little more time with us during the lectures to go over concepts.

All things considered, Thinkful was definitely worth it in my opinion. You only get out what you put into it though! If all the resources are used that Thinkful offers (which is a lot) and you really, truley are attentive during lectures and put in the effort, the reward will definitely be a job of your choosing!

• Nicci Williams  User Photo
    Nicci Williams • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am a software engineer and recent graduate of Thinkful's full-time Engineering Immersion program. I had previous web development experience, but knew that I was falling behind in terms of my modern, relevant development skills. I'd tried books, online tuts, videos and Meetups. They were helpful, but none of them worked - for me - to get me to the next level. I'm not a twenty-something, so I really didn't think a coding bootcamp was an option for someone like me. I happened to find myself in a JavaScript Meetup - and that's when everything changed!

The Meetup was put on by Thinkful, which I'd never heard of, at the time. After talking to the Community Manager there, I decided it would be worth it to sign-up for their 2-week trial. As soon as I logged into their portal, I WAS SOLD!! The curriculum is challenging, but presented in a very managable way. It is also 100% relevant to what I am doing in my job as a software engineer. There are live Q&A sessions and workshops with experienced mentors almost around the clock (including weekends). Not to mention my designated mentors that I worked with daily, 1-on-1 throughout the entire program. We also had mock interviews after every module of the program to test our knowledge of the material and get us more comfortable with talking through the various technical questions and processes.

Speaking of the mentors, every single person I interacted with so supportive, so passionate and so committed to my success that I was constantly reassured that this huge investment was going to pay off. I "pair programmed" with other students in my cohort almost every day, so I got to know them pretty well and we got to draw energy from one another, which helped keep productivity high. I did have an issue with one mentor. He was making an effort, but I wasn't getting what I needed from his instruction. I took it up with my Program Manager, who immediately went to work finding me another mentor. The Capstone projects and GitHub repos that we produced were definitely looked at by potential employers, so the mentors and program managers reviewed my work and made me bring it up to a certain level before I could move on or graduate.

I was initially concerned about the 100% online format, but that concern was quickly put to rest. I never felt stuck, disconnected or alone. Between Slack and the live video sessions every day, I had all of the support and connection I wanted and needed - without ever being in traffic! But for the times I needed to be with real people, my city also offered in-person dinners, events and study sessions. So, I had the best of both worlds.

Finally, my dedicated Career Services mentor reviewed and advised me on my resume, LinkedIn profile, portfolio, salary negotiations, interview questions, provided emotional support...everything that I needed during my job search.

I cannot speak highly enough about my Thinkful experience! Again, it IS challenging but if you do the work and stay in communication with them; you will get everything you need out of the Thinkful staff and curriculum -- and, most importantly, you will get a dev job! About 6 months ago, I wasn't sure what I was going to do...and today, I'm living MY dream!

• Tiani  User Photo
    Tiani • Student Verified via LinkedIn

My qualifications for this review: biology undergraduate education, no formal/previous background in coding at all, joined Thinkful's Data Science Bootcamp about a month and a half ago.

My program search and why I chose Thinkful: I knew others who had gone through this program and talked with them about their experiences, searched Course Report for what online bootcamps were popular, discussed my questions with Jessica (one of the Thinkful advisors), and spoke with others about their experiences in other programs. I would recommend any prospective students to ask A LOT of questions to people who are just a few steps ahead of you. But, it's ultimately your decision.

I chose Thinkful because I liked their track record of taking people with non-coding backgrounds and ensuring they did not just learn the material, but were also confident about their newfound skills, and their ability to apply them in concrete projects at multiple stages along their course. Thinkful also has great graduation rates and job placement records for past graduates. The mentors are highly qualified (ask any program your interested what qualifications all of their mentors need to have). Additionally, I liked all of the different payment plans and potential loans that the Thinkful program offers. Other programs were not as favorable on a month to month payment basis as Thinkful's is. I also liked the idea of being able to specialize in a certain data science focus after developing the basic skills. I had some doubts "how do I know I'm chosing the right one?" and other thoughts like that. But the mentors ensured me that they would work with me, give suggestions, and that I wasn't "locked in" to a specialization after I've chosen one. It might take more time to switch specializations, but the benefit of potentially learning a bit from two might even give me a uniqueness about my background that could be favorable on the job market. Additionally, I hear you get multiple mentors in Thinkful (one program manager, one mentor (who you meet with 2x/week 1:1), multiple Q&A leading mentors, etc..That's a lot of attention, which I think is so essential for an online program where you could just otherwise be a name on a course enrollment list.

Overall experience so far: I'm glad that I learned the basics of Python while I was working. In my downtime, I went through Codacademy's free Python modules and got about half way through before starting at Thinkful. That helped me have confidence that I could track with the coding logic for at least the beginning. This helped me go through the pre-course faster than otherwise because there aren't as many interactive lessons for those initial drills as there are in Codacademy. I was thankful for the instructions that told you not to spend more than 20-30 minutes on a CodeWars challenge. That brought a lot of relief to me because I knew it was ok to ask questions after trying a bit on my own. I recognize that my biology background has helped me understand the statistics, research proposal and sampling rationale curriculum so far, but the material is challenging and I get stuck at times on the challenges. Drew, my specific mentor, is superb. He has helped me on this journey and I look forward to what I'll learn as I continue.

• John-Alexander Hall  User Photo
    John-Alexander Hall • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After veering away from a career in web development, I was looking for a bootcamp program that taught me how to leverage python for data science. Thinkful's online model was great for me, as I was looking for a flexible curriculum that I could complete at my own pace and in the comfort of my own home. I also really enjoyed the idead of having a mentor that I could meet with 3 times a week and email as I saw fit. Going through difficult concepts with a mentor who has years of experience in the field made the process that much easier. Thinkful also has lots of learning opportunities throughout the week hosted by various mentors. This course curriculum was definitely the highlight of the program for me, providing a high-level, holisitic view of what can be done with the available data tools. This high-level view was augmented through conversations with my personal mentor, other students and other mentors.

One thing that did leave me slightly disappointed concerned the career services section of the course. I expected Thinkful to provide a list of hiring partners, but I think, due to my east coast location, it was slightly more difficult for them to do so. However, I adhered to their guidelines on how to approach the hiring process and things still ended up working out.

In summation, I really enjoyed my time with Thinkful. I learned a great deal about how to leverage the available tools for data science and it made me job ready.

• Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Thinkful provides a content-rich, supportive learning environment that is designed to help students flourish. I graduated from the full-stack flex program, and came away with the skills, confidence, and connections that would have taken me years to develop on my own.

This owes to the strength of Thinkful’s staff, curriculum, and student support.

• Staff: As a Thinkful student you are provided a wealth of dedicated people to help make sure you’re meeting your learning and career goals. Your mentor is your primary guide—in twice weekly one-on-one meetings, they’ll help you squash bugs, offer new explanations for tricky concepts, show you best practices, or just offer encouragement as your work through a difficult project.

You can also drop in on Q&A sessions that will let you ask questions live to an expert, or just eavesdrop on other people’s programming questions. Or check out the various Thinkful slack channels. There’s always someone around to help.

Your project manager is the connective tissue for your Thinkful experience. They’ll check in to make sure things are going well with your mentor, give you a heads up on events, help you set check points, and chase down answers to non-programming questions you have.

I don’t yet have experience with this, but you’ll also get a career mentor who will help you polish up your job materials. (I gave it 5 stars below because I'm required to put something there. I'll come back and edit this if something unexpected happens.)

• Curriculum: Before Thinkful, I checked out a number of other online resources. Thinkful’s curriculum is, far and away, the best I’ve seen for web development.

The writing quality is, generally, superb. Each section lays out key ideas plainly and with plenty of examples. And most of the units offer multiple, well thought out interactive coding exercises along the way.

I appreciated the focus that the curriculum offers. On my own, I tended to jump around from topic to topic, learning the same concepts over and over from different sources, or in slightly different ways. Thinkful’s curriculum makes sure you’re constantly learning something new, while reinforcing fundamental concepts.

Some of the later sections could use a re-organization. When I went through the course, the section on Node.js seemed to jump around a bit, offering high level overviews of JS Promises, and then not returning to do anything with them until much later, for example. The content was solid, it just came in a strange order.

The final unit on data structures and algorithms isn’t quite on the level of the other sections. Here you’ll find yourself going outside the curriculum (or bugging your mentor) to really gain an understanding of the ideas.

• Student support: Thinkful does a lot for its students and will find a way to make sure each student can fully leverage its resources. I found the mock interviews to be a really enriching experience, for example. When scheduling those, I was offered the calendar of over a dozen different interviewers, so I could pick the exact day and time that worked for me. When I wanted to switch mentors – just because I wanted to try out a different learning style – my PM listened to me, and made it happen within a day. The various people in the TF community have made sure to include me in all sorts of opportunities—from assisting with in-person instructional sections, to setting up career meetups, to just hosting hang outs.

Thinkful has been a truly rewarding experience for me, and I hope it can be the same for others.

• Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous • IT Coordinator • Student Verified via GitHub

Can't help but wish I had the opportunity sooner. Thinkful provides an incredibly deep and diverse, community experience that supports all of the students with becoming a developer. After shopping around amoungst the other 'bootcamp' styled programs, I decided on Thinkful for this exact reason.

• Kayla W.  User Photo
    Kayla W. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Warning: this is a long review. Skip to TL;DR if you don't care to read it all.

Attending Thinkful's Engineering Immersion program was definitely one of the best decisions I have made for my career. Everyone in the organization truly cares about your success. I was fortunate enough to have the support of my employer to make this career switch, but even if you make the leap on your own, Thinkful adequately prepares you to be EMPLOYABLE in less than 6 months. This review will be for the full time program.

TL;DR - The tech stack is top notch and relevant for what the market is looking for. You also learn soft skills that make you a great developer - perseverance, curiosity, patience, working on a team. The full time program is tough and you will doubt yourself over and over but if you stick with it and utilize the wealth of resources around you (mentors, TAs, slack channel, office hours), you WILL be successful and you WILL find a job.

THE PREP

You begin with 3-4 weeks of prep material to get you up to speed on HTML, CSS, git and Javascript. The prep course will give you base level knowledge so that you can pass the technical evaluation. It's self paced, but will have "milestones" that you need to complete to be ready to join the next cohort. A new cohort begins every 5 weeks. Therefore, there is no need to panic if you don't do well or feel like you need more time. You also have a prep course program manager and a mentor that you meet with 3 times a week during the prep course. Sidenote -- what other bootcamp gives you a mentor BEFORE the program actually begins?? Mentor support at Thinkful is truly remarkable.

THE TECHNICAL EVALUATION

Once you complete the prep course, you will schedule your technical evaluation that is held with one of Thinkful's mentors. Everyone does it differently but it essentially will gauge if you have a handle on the basic concepts to be ready for the rigor of the bootcamp. Be prepared to discuss concepts and do some basic coding challenges. Don't worry -- your program manager will give you a study guide. It won't be on anything that you did not cover in the prep course. After you pass the tech eval, you'll do another interview that's essentially a culture fit. They want to make sure you'll work well with other students. Pair programming is a central part of the full time program.

MODULE I: JAVASCRIPT FUNDAMENTALS

For me, the first two weeks of the program felt like getting hit by a truck. No lie. I knew it would be hard but it was super fast paced. We worked on a lot of exercises to get used to git then dove into object-oriented programming, jQuery and hitting APIs from the front-end. I think there was an API project sprinkled in there too. It's all a bit of a blur since we went quick.

MODULE II: SERVER - NODE, EXPRESS, MONGO, POSTGRES

After a relatively quick unit in Javascript, OOP and APIs, we moved along to server-side code. It seems like a lot of people struggle with this part of the curriculum simply because the backend isn't sexy. There's not really any instant feedback like there is on the client-side. Personally, I loved it since I have a data background. Anywhoo, after 5-ish weeks on the server, you'll do your first big capstone that should showcase your knowledge of RESTful APIs.

MODULE III: REACT, REDUX

Back on the front-end, you'll learn about React, the Javascript framework developed by Facebook and used by many companies (i.e. AirBnB). The market is HOT at the moment for developers with knowledge of React, so pay attention! (haha) In all seriousness, React is super fun. As someone who struggled a bit with jQuery, it was cool to work with a framework that gives you instance feedback without manually reloading the page. You also will dive into Redux, which is a library that manages your application's state.

Thinkful does a great job at introducing you to tools that modern Engineering teams use to manage large codebases (you MUST maintain the state of your application SOMEWHERE or there will be CHAOS! ^_^)

After about 4 weeks learning React and Redux, you'll be paired with someone to do a Full Stack Capstone, marrying what you learned about Node.

MODULE IV: DESIGN WEEK

Chill, fun week that gives you a bit of a "break." You learn about design concepts like typography, layout, and color schemes. Here, you'll get a start on your portfolio and receive feedback.

MODULE V: COMPUTER SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALS

The last type of formal instruction that you get as an EI student is a crash course in computer science fundamentals -- they fit Data Structures (i.e. Arrays, linked lists, stacks, queues) and algorithms (sorting, searching etc.) into about 2 weeks of material. It's A LOT. But don't panic. This stuff is hard and they want to prepare you for the inevitable white-boarding interview that you may encounter during the job search. It's important to be able to intelligently talk about WHY you solved a technical problem a certain way and what the performance benefits and/or limitations are (Big O notation). Though many companies are shying away from the traditional white-boarding interview, you still need to be prepared to talk about technical concepts. You'll be able to practice during this part of the course with mock interviews (sidenote: there are mock interviews throughout the duration bootcamp but this one is supposed to be more challenging of them all).

You'll have another capstone centered around algorithms at the end of this unit. This one was probably my favorite because of how much it made my brain hurt (ha). Struggle ====== GROWTH.

MODULE VI: FLEX WEEK

Pick a technology and you have a week to learn about it. Don't pick a low-level language like C -- there simply isn't enough time. Most students do a different front-end framework like Angular, React Native or Vue. The goal of flex week is to figure out how best you can learn new technologies on your own. That is honestly 80% of the job as a developer. Speaking as someone who has only been working professionally as a developer for two months -- i've had to learn so many new concepts in a short period of time. However, it's no longer daunting because Thinkful floods you with information until you figure out what works for you (everyone is different).

MODULE VII: FINAL CAPSTONE, CAREER SERVICES

After flex week you'll be working on a larger team (about 3-5 of your classmates) to do you final capstone! This is a 3 week project where you'll get a taste of what it's like to work on a real development team. You'll no longer have your instructors or mentors to hold your hand. You're mostly on your own except for your team lead that is a Thinkful mentor and he or she will just make sure your team is on the right track. This project should be impressive (you have 3 weeks!) and you'll each have some sort of role -- Project Manager, design lead etc. etc. It's hard work and almost identical to what you'll experience as a professional.

After that, you take a week to finalize your portfolio and submit it for feedback, after which CONGRATS, you've graduated. I was lucky enough to have a job before I graduated, so I can't speak about career services other than they make sure to get you ready to apply for jobs. They guarantee that you'll find a job or you get your money back -- that's how confident they are.

IN CONCLUSION

Making the leap over to the tech community is the best decision I could have ever made for my career and I'm truly grateful that I was able to attend Thinkful. Not only have I forged awesome relationships (the Thinkful communities in D.C./LA/NYC/ATL are very active!), I now have skills that nobody can take away from me.

Good luck!
  • Tom Lam  User Photo
    Tom Lam • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The mentors in the program have a lot of experience and knowledge to pass on. I feel I have learned more in these 3 months of taking the program so far than I have ever learned in my life. There are certain times where you can find yourself stuck due to the difficulty of the material but your mentor will always be there to help you get out of that hole.

• Peter Benvenuto  User Photo
    Peter Benvenuto • Student • Student Verified via GitHub

Honestly the educational experience with Thinkful has been amazing. I'm close to finishing the course and I never thought I could be this comfortable after a regular bootcamp. I was actually supposed ot go to a 9 week immersive bootcamp here in Toronto, but 9 weeks feels too quick and I decided to choose Thinkful because you get 6 months ot learn concepts that are foreign to beginners. I have very little previous knowledge havign completed a prep course for another bootcamp. The curriculum forces you to do research to figure problems out on your own because that's how you learn. My advice for anyone joining is the course materials are there to guide you into finding a solution, do yoru own research online, and in the Slack community it really helps you undertsand what you're doing.

• Shannon Callahan  User Photo
    Shannon Callahan • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I guess being as the first deaf student within this bootcamp. My first impression was their resources and expectations. Even if there were some bumps along the way, but they were more willing to figure out the solution. My progress with this bootcamp is at the hard place right now, but there is plentiful support from peers, mentors, and teachers. I could not imagine myself doing some self-taught without any support. I would recommend you to check this out and give it a try.

• Timothy  User Photo
    Timothy • Student Verified via GitHub

I am currently in the midst of the full stack flex program at Thinkful. While I had tried learning on my own through the many websites that are available to learn web development I always felt something was missing. That is until I found Thinkful and it's 1 on 1 mentor sessions it has greatly improved my understanding of web development and I can not stress how useful it is to get instant feedback and help that my mentors have provided for me so far. They ask me questions to make sure I understand the material as well which I feel has really helped to squash the dreaded 'imposter syndrome' because they give me the opportunity to show to myself that I know what I am talking about. On top of that, the projects that are giving are fairly open-ended allowing you to be creative with only guided lessons to help you take a project from the planning stage to completed app. On top of all that each lesson is ended with a mock interview which not only helps get rid of 'imposter syndrome' but also helps to get me ready for the real interviews to come. While I am only in the middle of the material right now I feel extremely confident that after I graduate I will be able to get a job as a web developer thanks to Thinkful.

ps. Job Support is listed n/a only because I haven't utilized it at this time.

• Sreyas  User Photo
    Sreyas • Student Verified via GitHub

Pros: Great community where you can post your questions when you are stuck while learning and you get response quickly

Good learning content

Coding challenge helps to understand the concepts better

Mock interview prepares you for the real world

Cons:

Overpriced

• Ari Simon  User Photo
    Ari Simon • Student Verified via GitHub

I love this boot camp. I was a bit tentative in deciding whether or not to do this boot camp due to the fact that I was already employed full-time. The prospect of having 25-30+ hours a week of coding on top of my already busy schedule was something that I had to get used to but when it comes down to it,  I haven't regretted my decision one bit.

There is no doubt that the material is difficult and having to manage my time has been something I have struggled with. The curriculum itself is awesome (though hard!) and the drills and projects I have done so far have provided me with a great base to build upon as I continue through the course. I really feel that when I finish, I will have the knowledge and skills to pursue a career in web development.

More than anything, I cannot be more grateful for the support that I have found in the Thinkful community. From my mentor who has gone out of her way no matter the hour to help me with bugs and broken code to the Slack community of other mentors/developers/students who are always available to answer my questions or give me feedback when it's most needed.

For anyone that is looking for a great program that is flexible but challenging, look no further!

• Nathan Garrett  User Photo
    Nathan Garrett • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Thinkful has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I've done a lot of challenging things so far at the age of 25, i've owned 2 businesses, am a marine corps veteran, and now graduate of Thinkful and found my way into the tech industry working professionally now. I started full stack immersive class at the end of September and graduated mid-february. The cirriculum is very thorough and constantly updated making you the most modern dev when you go into interviews. The languages/frameworks the other applicants are talking about trying to learn, you already know in depth from Thinkful. The 2 best things about Thinkful though I have to say, is the mentors, program managers and the people you are surrounded by on a daily basis and the fact that you not only learn to be a modern full stack web developer, but you always learn HOW TO learn which was huge for me. Tech is constantly changing and I wanted the ability to be able to learn, grow, and adapt to this changing field and Thinkful helped me do that by teaching me how to learn and pick up new languages, frameworks, etc. I will end this review by making one last, important statement... only join this course if you intend to give your 120% all day every day. If you don't put in maximum effort, you won't get maxiumum return. As well as hindering the experience for your fellow classmates which isn't fair to them either. I never ran into this issue at all and still regularly communicate with my fellow cohort, but it's important for you all to work hard and never give up on yourself or each other. In the full stack immersive you'll feel like you're living with these people with 6 months and grow fantastic relationships with them along the way.

• Hadas Ben-Tsur  User Photo
    Hadas Ben-Tsur • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm currently attending the online Full Stack Flex program with Thinkful. I participated in another in-person bootcamp elsewhere and found it really lacking as concepts weren't explained thoroughly and instructors/staff weren't around often enough to help me through tough assignments. So I found Thinkful through Course Report!

At Thinkful the course curriculum is so thorough that I'm able to tackle a good 70% of it on my own. They provide so many additional resources if you want to dig deeper or if you need help understanding a concept. Besides the fantastic material, there are also many Q+A sessions throughout the day. If I'm ever stuck on a problem for more than an hour I hop into a Q+A session and am guided in the right direction. I've been in many of these sessions and interacted with many of the instructors and each one helps put me on the right track without handing me the answer or making me feel stupid for not knowing something. I also have an incredible mentor I meet with twice a week on a video chat where we go over my homework and any questions I have.

There's also a strong focus on job eligibility between mock interviews that are part of your course requirements, career Q+A sessions offered several times a week, and the capstone projects that are great additions to a portfolio.

I'm so grateful to have found Thinkful through Course Report! I find myself facing mental challenges I never experienced before yet it's all good because the Thinkful structure and team is encouraging through every step.

• Matt Palumbo  User Photo
    Matt Palumbo • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I signed up for the Flexible Full Stack JavaScript course.  I found the material to be extremely relevant in terms of the job market and incredibly thorough.  I ventured out many times to find other takes on the concepts they were teaching especially in regards to the Computer Science material and every single time I found that their code was the cleanest, most concise, and most elegant.  They updated the material very regularly which impressed me. You work with mentors 3x / week via Slack or some other vid chat for an hour at a time.  I worked with 2, they were both very seasoned and knowledgable programmers and web developers.  The last one I worked with was working for a startup in the Netherlands before he came back to the states to work for Nike (he knew his stuff).  The program director I worked with (Derek Forge) was an awesome and amazing guy (also extremely seasoned developer) and was always eager to help and available to chat.  My career coach Jen worked with me weekly.  She really helped me put out a professional resume and had great advice to help get me a job.  Overall I was extremley happy with my experience there.  I really their curriculum is top notch.

• Lindsey  User Photo
    Lindsey • Technical Writer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My overall experience as a Thinkful student was incredibly positive.  I originally started with Thinkful in their Full Time Web Development program.  The instructors for the full time program are very knowledgable and take the time to focus on each team's projects and progress throughout the course.  There is also a TA assigned to each cohort who is available to help outside of designated daily class hours.

After completing the 3-week prep course and about 2 weeks of the full time schedule, I switched over to the Flexible Web Development program.  I was able to stay with the same mentor who I initially started with and still had access to all of the great resources that Thinkful provides, like QA sessions, Workshops, a designated Program Manager, and multiple Slack channels connecting me with fellow Thinkful students.

The curriculum that Thinkful lays out for each section provides a great foundation for full stack web development.  Before Thinkful, I taught myself HTML, CSS, and some basic JavaScript.  I drastically increased my programming skills and understanding over the past six months, learning both front- and backend JS frameworks and libraries.

A couple of aspects that really set Thinkful apart from other bootcamps are their individualized care for each student and their one-on-one mentor program.  Having the opportunity to speak to a professional programmer 3 times a week was invaluable.  My mentor helped me make sense of concepts I struggled with and guided me back on track when I was working through the curriculum and 3 capstone projects.  Each student at Thinkful is also paired with their own Program Manager who helps you with any concerns you might have about your progress or to just check in to see how things are going with you.

If you're weighing your coding bootcamp options and you are looking for a program that has fine-tuned (and continuously improves) the online bootcamp experience, seriously consider going with Thinkful.  I don't think I could have achieved such success and have been able to change careers if it had not been for Thinkful.

• Excellent Course!
    - 2/26/2018
    Jason  User Photo
    Jason • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm a professional educator, and I know that learning in this model, with self-directed projects alongside a mentor, is the most effective way to learn.The course material is well organized, appropriate, and challenging, and the mentor sessions are invaluable. I love the flexibility in the Full Stack Flex program. I coded 15 years ago in Java, and now need to go back to some basics to get back up to web dev speed, and I appreciate the combination of basics and advanced concepts as well as the ability for me to speed up or slow down as needed. I recommend Thinkful's Flex program for anyone that wants to learn the most up-to-date web development with the most flexibility.

• Great Course
    - 2/24/2018
    Bryan Corder  User Photo
    Bryan Corder • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Coming from a business background with only cursory knowledge of Python and Statistics, I probably have to work harder and longer than everyone else, but found my mentor supportive in guiding me through the curriculum and pointing me in the right direction so I didn't waste too much time going on tangents. There are a number of bootcamps popping up in person and online, and I haven't tried them so I can't do a direct comparison, but Thinkful's emphasis (compared to the curriculum of others) on putting together real projects drew me to the course, and I believe my Capstones will demonstrate my capabilities to potential employers. The capstones will get me in the door and the intensive mock interviews will get me the job. It's well worth the investment.
  • Brittany Renz-Lopez  User Photo
    Brittany Renz-Lopez • Student Verified via GitHub

Before finding Thinkful I was lost, uncertain of what I would make of my future. I had drive but I did not know where to apply it or what my prospects were of achieving purpose or success in any of the options that were put before me career-wise. I have since found that guidance in Thinkful via my wonderful mentor (shoutout to Aaron) and the excellent support system that makes up the rest of the community. The curriculum and resources are very thorough and the staff is very accommodating. I have found great benefit from the program as a whole so far and would recommend it to anyone seeking a career in web development or feeling lost as I once was.

• Tyler  User Photo
    Tyler • Student Verified via LinkedIn

So far I am about a month and a half into Thinkful's flexible web development boot camp. I am just finished my first big project and I am finishing up the introductory section. I have had a great experience with Thinkful so far. When you have a question that needs to be answered quickly you can go to the Slack community where there are mentors that will answer your question very fast. If you have a more in-depth question there are Q & A sessions going on all day long on various topics that you can jump into via video chat to get your question answered. Finally, you have 3, hour-long sessions with your mentor each week to go over what you are learning. The mentor meetings are extremely valuable. My mentor has helped to clear up topics that I have been confused about.

I can't give an accurate rating of the job support as I haven't reached that point in the course yet. Although, if it is anything like the support I have received so far then I know I won't be disappointed. If you are thinking about joining Thinkful and want to talk to a current student, feel free to email me at strtzy91@gmail.com.

• Best Decision
    - 11/17/2017
    Donald Dobbin  User Photo
    Donald Dobbin • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Applying to Thinkful was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I completed the full-time fullstack JavaScript course in August 2017. It was a huge time commitment, but I was lucky enough to be able to give the course 100% attention. I probably put a minimum of 40 hours a week for the entire length of the course. If you put in the time and work, and have a passion for becoming a developer, this is definitely the place for you.

The teachers were great, the mentor system was amazing, and the Thinkful network is absolutely incredible. If I ever needed help or advice on something, I would be able to reach out to someone and get an answer or pointed in the right direction in a timely manner. I would say the thing that I was most impressed with was the effort so many people put in during the job search. I would get slack messages a few times a week with job postings that fit what I was looking for. One of those slack messages ended up being the job I accepted! I hit a bit of a snag during my job search and my career coach revamped my resume and I believe it really helped me finding my eventual job.

Expect to learn a ton of new stuff, really really quickly. It can get overwhelming but all you have to do is keep moving forward. Let people know if you're not understanding the material, the last thing you want to do is fall behind. Everything will come together in the end, you just have to work hard every day for the enitre length of the course.

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

92% of job obtainers reported salaries.