thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Atlanta, Austin, Austin, Baltimore, Boise, Boston, Boulder, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Hartford, Houston, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madison, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, New York City, New York City, Oakland, Online, Orlando, Orlando, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Richmond, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online bootcamp that offers online, fast-paced, career-ready programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Product Management, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time course, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll.  Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. Thinkful also offers a tuition refund guarantee for qualifying courses, as well as an expanding list of payment support options.

Thinkful’s programs include the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, Data Analytics Flex, and Digital Marketing Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students can join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have stricter admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.58

all (624) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (95) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Data Visualization, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, SQL, Python
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Digital Marketing Immersion

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    The fastest way to launch your marketing career. Create campaigns and analyze results as you learn relevant, up-to-date technical skills. Showcase your knowledge with an interview-ready portfolio that stands out and earns job offers. Enroll now, and pay nothing until you’ve graduated and landed a job.
    Options:
  • Engineering Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • Technical Project Management Immersion

The fastest path to a project management career. Learn to leverage the tools used by top employers in this full-time, online course. Work through a project-based course that builds your portfolio with the support of industry experts, a rigorous curriculum, and paired workshops.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.

• David • Software Developer • Graduate

Note: My experience was with Thinkful's Engineering Immersion program. There are several tracks within Thinkful, and each is structured slightly differently.

Deciding to join a boot camp is a very nerve-wracking decision. For me, it was a total career change, so I wanted to minimize my risk as much as possible. I decided to go with Thinkful after seeing that they regularly post their job placement rates online and that they have a job placement guarantee.

The actual program ended up being extremely challenging. I put in anywhere from 40-70 hours a week, depending on that week's content. The material is challenging, but the pace felt spot on for what I wanted to get out of it. During the program I always felt pushed, a little overwhelmed at times. As a result, I left the program feeling like my skills were good enough to not only land a job, but to be comfortable in a new role.

For the Engineering Immersion program you'll meet with an instructor twice a day to go over the day's material and check in on everyone's progress. Then, you'll pair program with another student until the end of the day. There is always support from the instructors and from mentors. On a typical day, we could have someone helping us within 5-10 minutes if we really got stuck on a tricky concept. Having that support meant that I never felt like I was wasting my time. Twice a week you'll meet with your mentor to go over anything that you feel like you need help with. Finally, after the course is complete, you'll be assigned a career coach to help you navigate finding that first job. For me, landing that first gig took just under two months from graduation.

Thinkful is a challenging, rigorous program. If you're looking to skate through with minimal effort and start applying to jobs, this probably isn't the program for you. If you're looking to build solid foundational skills and put in the time to learn, then Thinkful has the right resources to help you succed.

• Mary Conley • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate

Thinkful was a bit of a leap of faith for me. I had been a self-taught static-vanilla-HTML-CSS developer in my spare time, but would never have labeled myself a “developer” that was for CS degrees, or people with years of experience, or so I thought.

I had always been interested in coding, but everytime something held me back. The self-driven route was hard and confusing for me. I had the motivation, but knowing where to start, or any stray path I found myself on made me feel like I wasn’t going to get back on track...

The difference for me was that Thinkful provided REAL live instructors! I decided this is my best shot at achieving a dream of mine, I’m going to do it. And I’m so glad I did.

In retrospect, I was right: The difference was truly made by the instructors and mentors and TAs, even my own fellow students! They all acted as my “sherpas” so to speak: Teaching me along the way my ascent to the top (and let me tell you --it was a difficult climb.)They helped me learn: Best practices, colloquial terms, idea sharing, patience. That was the cornerstone of my success. Without the ability to learn from real people, I never would have succeeded, I just didn’t have the coding street-smarts so to speak. But I learned them, and I learned them quickly.

I got better at asking questions,
    I got better at being self sufficient,
    and I got better at coding.

I was always a problem-solver, and finally I was working with tools.

The change that Thinkul brought to me at a person was priceless. I feel like a new person, and well, in a way, I am! Attending Thinkful makes me feel confident in saying, “I’m a Developer” and I can’t wait to see what I accomplish next!

• Arun Nair • Graduate

Great program for those wanting to learn Data Science from scratch. Should be willing to put in the time and effort on your end to see best results. You have Mentor video sessions which are great (probably the best part of the program).

• Ryan • Student

I am almost three months into the Thinkful Fullstack Flex program and I have to say I am quite impressed. The curriculum is very well structured and provides the right amount of detail. I had only very basic programming skills coming into the bootcamp and I feel that Thinkful goes at a great pace. Even without any coding experience, I think their materials provide enough fundamental lessons to get you up to speed.

The mentor aspect is also very helpful. Whenever I get stuck or just need some explanation on certain syntax, my mentor provides clear explanations with examples to ensure that I truly understand the concepts.

• Matthew Fitzgerald • Student

As a student currently enrolled in the Full Stack Flex program offered from Thinkful, I would 100% recommend enrolling in one of their courses, should you be serious and devoted about perhaps becoming a software developer. The curriculum is solid and my knowledge of computer coding has gone from being able to manipulate user interfaces very well, to now creating said user interfaces and understanding the technical side, and so much more.

I have yet to use their job assistance, but i imagine it will far exceed my expectations, the same way everything else in the program so far has.

• Data Scientist
    - 2/25/2019
    Corey M • Data Scientist • Graduate

I took on this course with very little programming experience and left with a breadth of knowledge beyond what I could have imagined.  The program covers a ton of information and does a good job diving deeper into certain topics.  My one piece of advice to future students would be to make sure your schedule will accommodate the amount of work that this course requires.  While 25 hrs/week is what is supposed to be allotted for the course, there is such an intense amount of material to cover that the more time you have available the better.  If you are taking this course part-time be sure to recognize when to draw the line with certain projects because it is easy to get caught up in one and find yourself falling behind.  Other than that, this was the best decision I have made for my career.  I had the best mentor imaginable.  He was extremely knowledgeable and all in all a great guy to work with.  I truly enjoyed our bi-weekly meet ups and wouldn't have the skill set I have today without him.   I am very grateful to have had this experience with my mentor and the Thinkful program and look forward to continuing a career in data!

• Jonathan Zhao • Student

I am three months in the full time Data Science program now. Before reviewing the program, I would like to share some experience first. 1) If you have no previous programming experience, I suggest taking some free intro classes online first. There are lots of free intro classes on the Internet, and taking these intro classes will really help you at the beginning of the bootcamp. I have little bit of programming experienc before when I was in college 6 years ago with MATLAB and VBA, so I took the time to study a little bit of python, get to know the syntax, how to write python codes, and some basic plotting. I also learned how to use Jupyter Notebook and pycharm, as well as some basic statistics classes on Khan Academy before admitting to the bootcamp. This whole pre-boot camp thing took me about 3 months, and the time really paid off at the first month of bootcamp. 2) If you plan on admitting to an online boot camp, try to avoid end of November or December since it's holiday season and it might effect your schedule.

So I started my Thinkful program around the end of November, before Thanksgiving holiday. Before I admitted to the bootcamp, I was able to speak with Thinkful staff and get better understanding of the program. Thinkful also provide workshops to give you a better idea of how the program will be like and Thinkful staffs will answer your questions at the end of the workshop. Thinkful provide you a 2-week trial class so you can test the water. The material of the trial class will carry on to the actual bootcamp. If you got admitted into the program, you will keep working on the pre-bootcamp materials, it took me about 2 weeks to finish all pre-bootcamp materials, which I think the 3 months studies before the bootcamp really help me a lot here.

At the third month of the program, the bootcamp itself is going very well. I have two mentor sessions per week, and I can discuss the course materials or industrial news with my mentor, and the Program manager is always there to answer my questions. There are also lots of office hours and workshops available so you can join and see what other people is doing in the program. You can also attend other student's capstone presentations and get some general ideas of how your capstone project will look like at the beginning. Thinkful also have community events you can attend. I lives in Los Angeles and the community here is huge. They have bi-weekly events so you can meet with other Thinkful students.

There is one think that I suggest Thinkful to improve is to provide more realistic and well-rounded examples in the course material so students can understand the concept much better. I believe most of the students join Thinkful or other bootcamps have the same goal, which is to land a job after the course. I found that some of the course material and its examples are too simple, and not practical, and it lead to a result that the course material is not helping me to finish my assignment. In some cases I end up spending 3 or 4 hours outside of the course material try to find an answer or solution for the Thinkful assignment. I have a full-time job in the day time, and I only have a few hours at night to study. Therefore, spending these extra hours outside of Thinkful materials slowing my pace or it may effect my schedule as well. But again, the Thinkful community at their Slack channel and the mentor are extremely helpful.

• Evan • Software Engineer / Data Analyst • Graduate

I got my undergrad in Computer Science and thought jobs would be thrown at me. I was wrong. Though I did have a lot of programming knowledge, I didn't have much of a portfolio or know much about what people in the industry use now. I decided to take the Data Science course at Thinkful while I drove for lyft. Everything is different now. I have two great jobs, although I don't need both, I enjoy them. I am a Software Engineer / Data Analyst at a great company and also a teaching assistant at a data science certificate program at UCSD.

So, for the course... I don't want to sugar coat it, this course is hard. I spent many many hours going through this course and had many pitfalls and struggles. That being said, I am glad I did. I was lucky to have a great mentor, Mike, who was knowledgable and encouraging to help me through the course. The data science course I TA for now is a class of 30+ students with only 1 instructor and 2 TAs, although it is a good course, I am very thankful I went with Thinkful and had the 1on1 support. Being able to go through it on my own time and having 1on1 time to ask questions was terrific. By the time I was 3/4 of the way through the course I felt confident enough to do work as a data scientist and talk about the complexities of it. I would strongly reccomend this course to anybody who wants to learn a lot and has the time for it

I want to stress that last part. You need to put aside lots of time for this course. That being said, if you do have the time you will come out very happy you took the course.

Also, clarrification on the starts. Overall was great, super glad I took the course. Instructors were better than expected, really happy with them. Cirriculum gets 4 stars because some small exercises have you find a data set to work with (which is cool because you get to work with something that interests you) but I really think the course should offer datasets it thinks would be appropriate for the exercise. And Job Assistance gets 4 stars because I really didn't have to use it much. But hey, this course changed my life so I would definitely reccomend it.

• Joshua Adams • Software Developer Apprentice • Graduate

Fully immersive web development class. Extensive work in teams and with groups, as well as mentorship, career planning, in person meet-ups and networking. They really want you to succeed and it shows. It is a very intense and hard program, expect to work 50-60 hours a week, but when you are done you have what it takes for a job in the industry. Not to scare you away but you will have to have grit to get through it. It is absolutely worth it, but make sure you really have the time to devote to this. I worked part time as well which I would not recommend but I had no choice. Know your limits!

- 2/2/2019
    Enzo Vernon • Student

I have been enrolled in the Full Stack Flex course for a couple of months and have found the curriculum extemely stimulating. One aspect that I didn't anticpate, but is as valuable as the content, is the relationships you forge with your program manager, mentor, and peers. My program manager, Mayank, has been supportive in my growth not only as a software engineer, but also as an individual. My course mentors help me to understand difficult concepts and challenge me to inspect a problem from a variety of viewpoints -- a crucial skill to critical thinking.

The structure of the material is intuitive because the technology supports one another. The mock interviews are great because they are ensuring i'm prepared to add new information to my knowledge base. Finally, I firmly believe the curriculum is setting up their grads to not only graduate but get employed.

• Courtney B. • Student

As a current Thinkful student, I must say that I truly would recommend this program to anyone interested in coding. The structure of the program is balanced for both those with no coding experience and beginner-coders. When I first began with Thinkful I had no prior coding experience but as I have continued with the program, it has prepared me with the appropriate soft skills and technical skills to handle live coding challenges and to communicate clearly with other coders. Thinkful also has a great mentoring program, an active slack community and engaging sessions during office hours. Whether a hobbyist or looking for a career change I truly recommend Thinkful as  your place to begin on your coding journey.

• Changed My Life
    - 12/9/2018
    Jacob MacInnis • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

I looked around the coding school landscape and found that Thinkful was perfect for me. I took on the Full Time Engineering Immersion 5 month program. I had an incredible senior developer mentor who genuinely cared about my career and progress. I found the teachers to be highly skilled in their fields and patient with new learners. The curriculum was very challenging and very current. Upon graduating my new skill set was highly sought after. I am continuing to work with Thinkful as I enter the job search until I am hired. I found that the entire Thinkful organization cares about the student success.

• full stack flex
    - 11/20/2018
    Laura • student • Student

I am a current student at Thinkful Full-stack flex program, and I can honestly say that I've never enjoyed learning as much as I have with this program... granted, I wasn't the most eager student growing up. I fell into web development just like most stories you'll hear, it just sort of happened and the timing couldn't have been better. So to give you a quick but hopefully helpful summary, keep on reading. If you enjoy skipping to the end of the book... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ATTENDING THINKFUL CODING BOOTCAMP, it's an excellent, well-thought-out program and (here's the catch) as long as YOU put in the work, you can get so much out of this course.

****side note: if you want to follow along in my journey, subscribe to my youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Rgy6MBNl2M2fLgNpa2ohw?​ ******

And now for the full review, based on my personal experience:

starting point: a few months of self-taught code. (HTML, CSS, some JavaScript) (FreeCodeCamp, CodeCademy, Youtube)
    end goal: to become a front-end developer to work closely with designers to turn their skills into functionality; and to be knowledgeable in full-stack, so to build better work relationships and conversations with all departments, especially those affected by a project (directly or indirectly)

Pros:
    1. Q&A, Q&A, Q&A, Q&A, Q&A!!!!  there are ongoing info sessions touching all topics of all levels. This means you can hop onto a live chat with an experienced coder at virtually any time. This will help you advance faster, as you don't have to "wait until the next class or your next scheduled mentor session". These sessions are key to building a community of other coders who are often at the same level as you or are willing to learn from you and/or help teach you. The experienced developers are motivated, and willing to either help you get unstuck or help guide you in the right direction, so you can figure out how to 'unstuck' yourself. The experienced developers are also very eager to help you outside of the suggested Q&A time. I recommend attending as many as you can. The live Q&A sessions are soo, extremely helpful and make Thinkful's coding bootcamp truly unique and worth it.
    2. One-on-one mentors. You will get paired with a mentor, which is undeniably one of the best features a bootcamp can offer. In my opinion, this is a  valuable one-on-one time that you wouldn't get at an on-campus bootcamp, as I feel like other students would be fighting to meet with the teachers after classes. The mentor sessions allow you to gather your questions (big or small) and spend as much or as little time as you'd like on that particular question until you're sure you've understood it. Your mentors are also very friendly and are motivated and willing and eager to help you out. You can ask them anything from debugging your code to what life of a developer is like to career advice. Take advantage of your time with your mentors - they're there for you!
    3. Program managers! Omg this is so incredibly helpful. They're your "big brothers", your "annoying parents that care about your success", and your "middle school principal that, despite only seeing them occasionally in the hallways, somehow knew that you weren't paying attention in class". You don't meet with them that often but it's a scheduled time APART from your time with your mentors and lessons, that is dedicated to your success and progress. Be honest with them, as they are also there to help you succeed, they genuinely want you to do well, and they will work with you!
    4. The curriculum - wow I still don't know how someone had the patience and the knowledge to plan each lesson of the program, including everything from the layout to the challenges, to the big projects. It is an easy-to-follow curriciulum that guides you smoothly from one task to another. Each section is balanced between readings, challenges, quizzes, and reviews. So far, I see it as a fail-proof way to learn
    5. The flow - What do I mean by this? The natural flow of the program, and the 'speed' in which you are guaranteed to move through the lessons, prepare for interviews, look for jobs, and become developers. It really is incredible. Just remember, you MUST put in the time and the effort
    6. It's online. You can spend the next six months in pajamas or your birthday suit if you wish ( just make sure to dress appropriately during your live video sessions!) Also, if you have the chance, TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL, take advantage of this time in your life and take the course on the beach in the Bahamas, because why not?

Cons
    1. money, money, money - must be funny, in a rich man's world (sorry, big fan of ABBA here). So here's the thing: money is obviously the biggest deciding factor, as it is a great chunk of money that you're putting into the program, but here's the most important thing I can say - if you believe this is something that you truly want to perceive, then consider the cost as an INVESTMENT. It's an investment to yourself, an investment to your future, to your skillset, to your bank (let's be real, if you do this right, you should eventually be finding a job that will allow a growing salary with time). So again, if you're serious about attending, invest in yourself - even if it means working one more year at that crappy job and having to deal with your crappy boss ... just one. more. year. Save up and do it. (this is coming from someone who currently has - no joke - $122 in her bank account and moved back in with her parents at the age of almost 30.
    2. time - listen, guys, I'm gonna repeat myself but this is an INVESTMENT. If you are serious about this, you have to make sure to COMMIT fully to this program. If you know you have something that will be distracting in the next 6 months, then postpone but make sure you make this your priority.
    3. Sometimes you just have to find your learning groove and that may take some time. This course is not something to take lightly and studying should be your top priority. Just like the others, this isn't really a con, it's just a matter of taking the time of figuring out what it is YOU want.

FINAL THOUGHTS: spend time getting to know your goals and level of commitment, once YOU'RE ready, sign up for Thinkful coding bootcamp, once you're signed up and ready to go just hit the floor running and enjoy every minute, every missed semi-colon of frustration, and every new online-friendship you get, because it truly is a POSITIVE life-changing experience.

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here