thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Thinkful

Thinkful, a Chegg service, provides every adult learner with a pathway to a rewarding career. This online bootcamp offers fast-paced, career-focused programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. Students commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time format, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option. All programs include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and Q&A sessions with industry professionals.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll. Students continue to get personalized support from a dedicated career coach for six months after graduation, or until they’re hired. Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. Students join a community of 3,000+ learners and mentors to get on-demand help and build a professional network.

Thinkful also offers an expanding list of flexible payment options. Thinkful students are empowered to balance life and learning, and can complete any of the part-time programs even if they plan to keep working in an existing job. They can access course materials from anywhere in the world.

Prospective students can apply via Thinkful.com, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.55

all (908) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (117) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, Data Visualization, Excel, MySQL, Python, SQL
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

SQL, Python, MySQL, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Algorithms, Data Science, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Python, Spark, SQL
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Data Analytics , Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Engineering Flex

React.js, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, React.js
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • UX/UI Flex

Design, Front End, User Experience Design, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

User Experience Design, jQuery, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, Design, CSS
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.
  • I’m so thankful
    - 10/19/2021
    Tiffany  User Photo
    Tiffany • Graduate Verified via GitHub
     I’m so thankful to Thinkful! I just started UX/UI Flex course and I have a lot of questions. Thankfully, I have a mentor who supports me all the way. It’s so important to have someone who can answer your questions and say the right words when you feel down. And yes, they give a lot of reading! Be prepare!
  • Graduate
    - 9/20/2021
    Jeffrey Fager  User Photo
    Jeffrey Fager • Security Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My mentor and Academic Success Manager were the reason it was worth it. Having someone to help and guide you into the industry is crucial, it takes  more than knowing how to code to succeed.
  • Landed a Dream Job
    - 9/15/2021
    Stephanie  User Photo
    Stephanie • Digital Product Owner • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    A year ago I never would have imagined that I would be landing UX Designer interviews with tech companies and now I've not only interviewed with multiple companies but I've also accepted an offer for an amazing position. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Thinkful but I also wouldn't have been able to do it without grit. This is a tough program but it pays off. If you're interested I would go for it but you have to be prepared to put in a lot of work.

The course material is more text heavy than I anticipated, so be prepared to read a lot. Something Thinkful does really well is provide a very detailed prep course that you must pass to be accepted into the program. This gives you great insight into how the curriculum is structured and gives you an idea of if you'd mesh well with the learning style. At times I felt burnt out and that I could have used more structure in the lectures. But if you leverage your contact with the instructors, TA's and your mentor you will get an A+ education.

The best thing about this program in my opinion is the post-graduate support. I cannot stress enough how important it is to accept the critiques and redirections from your career coach. They have job searching down to a science. At times I felt uncomfortable with networking and cold outreach during the job search process, but with the help of my career coach I was able to overcome these hurdles and land an amazing role as a Product Owner. If you're not sure about your path and your direction I would say that you still have a lot to gain from this program. I studied UX/UI Design with Thinkful and landed in a different role that I'm even more happy with, and studying UX was how I ended up there. I learned technical skills in the program, but I also learned how to work in a new industry which opened doors for me that I wouldn't have thought possible.

Sometimes the curriculum seemed backwards or just not planned quite right but I wouldn't let that deter you. Nothing is perfect and if you make the most of this program you can change your life and they will help you at every step along your journey.
  • Data Science Flex
    - 9/15/2021
    Lateef Medley  User Photo
    Lateef Medley • Data Analyst, Predictive Modeler • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hello!

I graduated from Thinkful in March 2021 and found work by September 2021.

There's a lot to like about the Thinkful Data Science program.

Pro:
    I was paired with a fantastic instructor who wanted to see me become successful and was passionate about it. They have a host of other very talented technical staff that can help you with code.

Con:
    They were using a "Free-meium" version of slack for students while I was there. This means to you as a student if you ask for advice/help on Slack, that conversation is only available for a limited amount of time. I recommend you save all communications you want to refer back to in a file on your computer.

Pro:
    The job assistance wasn't what I expected, but made the program worth it. I was paired with a career coach who was a recruiter in the tech sector for about five years. She was pivotal to capping off the Thinkful experience as an overall positive one. Be prepared to work hard, though and you make it.

Con (Kinda):
    The curriculum was all free stuff you could find online on your own and for a lot of the projects/work I did in the program, I had to look up things outside of the curriculum. There is something to be said and appreciated about all of this information being formulated and put together in one place, which is an activity that could take a long time on its own and if you're not already data science-savvy you will likely find a hard time figuring out where to start.

Pro:
    The community Thinkful creates is great. Reaching out to alumni after program graduation was easy (once you mustered the strength to reach out) and you make great connections that way. Plus, the workshops they have are informative and great ways to learn about how you can apply the concepts you're learning/trying to wrap your head around.

Con:
    Communication with the actual Thinkful staff was always a mystery. My mentor and I often found that with procedural program items, we were in the dark. But once you get a hold of someone, it's friendly and you can get your questions answered.
  • Alexus  User Photo
    Alexus • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, Thinkful is a fantastic program that proved to be an incredibly valuable investment for me.

The pros:
    • Mentors - the individuals who assisted me were all incredibly informative and supportive of me.  Scherry offered me fantastic feedback and moral support through the program.
    • Academic Success Advisor - Taylor was very empathetic and easy to talk to. She was very compassionate during my time at Thinkful due to several major life events that occurred. Very easy to work with.
    • Career Coaching - Tom was a great career coach who works diligently to provide as many resources and chances to improve individuals' experiences as humanly possibly. He was very helpful throughout the job hunt and I've been incredibly grateful for his assistance.
    • Assessment Graders - All of the individuals who graded major assessments provided invaluable feedback. They went above and beyond the call of duty for how to improve and grow.
    • The resources available to me throughout the program were invaluable.

Needs work:

• I feel like the communication between departments and enrolled students could have been better. Oftentimes there were issues that were occurring with the program that I had to find out the hard way after I'd wasted countless hours working off of a rubric or assignment - only to find out that the rubric was either incorrect, or the assignment wasn't even applicable anymore.

CHECKPOINT ASSIGNMENTS: I strongly feel that the checkpoint assignments need a serious overview. There were not nearly enough human-graded assignments to ensure that I was properly learning the material.
    - There were also numerous assignments where the checkpoint hadn't been updated with the current course material. Thus what I was trying to work on proved to be irrelevant and, again, a waste of my time.
    Grading of checkpoint assignments: When checkpoints were graded by humans versus automatically checked off by the system, the turnaround time was very frustrating. Thinkful promises that assignments would be graded w/in 48 hours of submittal. However, that rarely happened. Oftentimes I would have to reach out about when I could expect my assignments to be graded so I could move forward.
    -There were also a few times where the graders hadn't reviewed the assignment they were grading and would fail or provide feedback that wasn't relevant.

Things to Consider:
    • Isolation: The flex plan is very isolating. I definitely urge students to utilize the slack channel. Find a buddy to work with. Even if you aren't at the same point in the curriculum as you, just having someone who understands what you're going through can really enhance your experience.
    • This course is very difficult. But it's worth it. You need to be able to have the self-discipline to get through it, but also the self-compassion to give yourself a realistic pace and allow for breaks when you can. This isn't a sprint, it's like hiking the AT mentally. You don't really know what to expect, but you know that if you keep on pushing - you'll make it through.
    • Always look for new ways to learn and forget about the best. Everybody is different and has different interests. Listen to the feedback that you're given and follow through - even if you don't always agree. :)
  • Dom Frances   User Photo
    Dom Frances • UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a good experience in Thinkfuls program. Be prepared to read ALOT. The amount of time you spend with your mentor is just the right balance. I do wish that you could use the TAs when you're in the self-paced program. Overall, the program should give graders more direction with how they view the student's work.
  • Engineering Flex
    - 9/7/2021
    Mike  User Photo
    Mike Verified via GitHub
    I completed the Engineering flex program in August 2021. I came in with no programming experience and working a full-time job and part-time job. My goal was to go through this program and get a job in the field ASAP. There are a lot of pros to this program and some cons.

Pros:
    • You are able to do this during your free time (about 20-25 hours a week).
    • The program went through both frontend (React, JavaScript, HTML, CSS) and backend (Node.js, Express)
    •  It started from scratch which helps those who don't have any background
    • The mentors were good
    • You come away with 4-5 good portfolio pieces
    • The timeline they give you helps to keep on pace for graduation

Cons:
    • Make sure you gel with your mentor. I had 3 different ones throughout my time. I chose to get a new one after the first month. He didn't help me at all and didn't really care that he wasn't helpful. The second mentor got a new job and left. The third mentor was great
    • The mentor sessions were twice a week for only 30 min. This was good that we met twice a week but sometimes it wasn't enough time to cover what I was hoping to cover.
    • The projects are the same for all of the students which doesn't set you apart
    • They had support called ThinkChat that helped when you were stuck, however, half the time they just wrote the code for me without any explanation and the other half of the time they didn't know how to solve it.
    • They only had videos for about 30-40% of the material. This was a con for me because I learn best when someone explains it to me (like a video). So the other 60-70% I had a very hard time understanding because I just read the material and then was supposed to understand it at a level where I could implement it on a deeper level.

It was very challenging and times where I wanted to quit. I kept going and finished it up. When choosing a bootcamp, I would definitely think through how you learn best. This program is great for those who can learn by reading and doing. If you learn in different ways you can definitely do this program, but you may not learn as well. I look forward to finding a job and using the skills I learned in this program.
  • Noah Roberts  User Photo
    Noah Roberts • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I begin this course with Bloc, which had been acquired by Thinkful in 2018, and by the time I graduated my program had been discontinued. It would have been nice to have some official communication about this transition but no statement was issued. Further frustrations of being a student in that period were that some provided resources became inaccessible, parts of the curriculum had not been updated (hooks in React for example), and some features like office hours were discontinued and replaced with underdeveloped resources.

That being said, the Thinkful resources I gained access to seemed far superior and much better maintained than the Bloc ones. The Discord channel was quite active and Thinkful staff participated and fielded questions with speedy replies. Academic success was quick to respond and helpful with any part of your program outside of technical issues.

1-on-1 mentor sessions are extremely brief, so I would encourage students to change mentors if they feel they don't have an excellent match. Additionally I encourage students to come well-prepared (have all questions written out and prioritized from high to low) and to dictate the pace of you meetings.

One other thing I would mention is you should expect to utilize (and possibly even pay for) a lot of resources outside of the curriculum. They would probably say that this is supposed to train you for what a developer's process of learning new technologies is like and this is certainly true, if a bit jarring. It's important to realize that you're paying less for the curriculum and more for the timeline to keep you moving/motivated and the community of other students, your academic success team, your 1-on-1 mentoring, and the career services.

Which brings me to the last point and for me the real high point of the program, the career services. This is what will really help you convert those skills into a meaningful career. My career coach has been truly amazing, and they provide you with more resources than you could even consume. While you could conceivably learn coding and build a portfolio on your own, finding a first job is extremely challenging and where I think the value of Thinkful's program really shines.

In summation, though my experience was a little strange and frustrating going through the Bloc transition, I would not hesitate to recommend the Thinkful program. Their resources are vast and if you are highly motivated (which you will need to be) they will provide you the tools necessary to succeed.

• Melinda  User Photo
    Melinda • UX/UI Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    My time at Thinkful definitely served its purpose. I wanted to get a job that was remote, would utilize my talents, increase my earning potential, and reduce the amount of time spent in school and student debt. This program provided me with the tools to achieve just this. I recently was hired in my field for a full-time position and am excited to see where it takes me! The pros are the payment arrangements offered, which include a possible monthly stipend (dependent on certain criteria and approval) which allowed me to go to school without working for the duration of the program. The cost of the program is nothing compared to the cost of years of school I might’ve had to go through otherwise, and I consider the amount of money I’ll be making in the field to more than compensate for that. The program is intense and requires a lot of motivation on the student’s part, but worth it. You will come away with the skills needed to enter the field as long as you very seriously apply yourself and maintain attendance.

Cons would be the inconsistency in grading, which Thinkful is aware of and has been improving even throughout the program I attended. Thinkful will listen as long as you communicate if you come across an issue, so it wasn’t ever a major problem for me. Also, it’s important to note that the UX/UI field is not easy to break into as a brand new designer, so expect to put in a ton of applications, but to also be fully supported and guided throughout the process by your Thinkful career coach. I didn’t expect to be employed until 3-6 months of applying but I was hired within 2.5 months due to the assistance of my coach and my own hard work.

Don’t give up! It will be worth it in the end, and Thinkful will be there the entire way to help you succeed.
  • Maher A.  User Photo
    Maher A. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    If you have little to zero experience in the field, this is a great way to rapidly improve your data analytics skills. The curriculum focuses on the main items of Data Cleaning, Data Analysis/Exploration and Data Visualizations through different technologies (Excel, SQL, Python and Tableau).

The structure of the curriculum makes a lot of sense and I was able to leverage my learnings to apply them directly at my current job.
  • Brendon  User Photo
    Brendon • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, I feel I learned a lot from Thinkful's intense program.  I really feel the curriculum was well thought out and the Teaching Assistant's were top notch!!  2 out of 3 of my instructors were well knowledgeable and went above and beyond to help us understand.
    Some issues I did however struggle with was the availability of the assistance given.  A normal schedule consisted of 1.5-2 hrs of lecture by the instructor (which if you were struggling on previous material from even a day beforehand, basically made you feel like you were unable to follow along with the lectures) The rest of the scheduled day time was open to work with groups and teach ourselves most of the material.  However, we were able to call in a TA to assist if we were particularly stuck.  The TA's were my favorite part of the program!!!  Learned a lot with them and they were very patient and understanding.  I was sad however that they are not available at all any other times other than weekdays between 10am-5pm.  Most of my personal studies were in the evenings when I didn't understand a lot of concepts and really wanted to talk to someone for help.  They provided IM services called ThinkChat...but that was SUCH A WASTE OF RESOURCES AND TIME!!!!   No screen sharing or actual interaction other than typing.  Understanding concepts takes a lot more than typing out something for 30 minutes that could have taken 30 seconds to ask and get a reply if we could have done a video conference.
    The speed as well of what we went at was RIDICULOUS.  I understand the program being intense.....but it was strange that we were given 2 weeks off randomly throughout the program....but I feel I could have benefitted a lot more if we instead just had ONE day a week off as our CATCH UP DAY.  Still have access to TA's and whatnot, but at least give us some time to digest.
    I also had a hard time with our Mock Interviews.  There were 4 main Mock interviews throughout the program that STRESSED EVERYONE TO THE POINT OF BREAKING.  If you do not pass the mock interviews within 2 tries (which were a coding challenge you are given on the spot with no preparation beforehand)  you were automatically kicked out of the program.  It made you extremely paranoid and stressed out to the point of a mental breakdown.  That shouldn't be the point of the program.
    I came in knowing nothing of IT software engineering....and there were a handful that came in with backgrounds already.  Those that had some backgrounds are the ones that did well.  Still was a struggle, but at least they could follow along with the logic and had a better experience overall.  There were definitely times where I relied HEAVILY on the other students in my groups to either just give me the code, or beg them to help me understand it.  So the students were teaching me.  It was semi embarrassing to always be reliant on them....but maybe that was the point?   I would have preferred to go to a TA in those times.

I admit that my review is more negative sounding than what I wish.  There were definite struggles and issues I had throughout....but OVERALL, I really still enjoyed all I have learned.  I now have graduated as of 2 weeks ago and I am now in job finding mode.  I am actually reviewing EVERY SINGLE MODULE we did and basically doing the whole program again just to solidify my knowledge and build up more confidence, but I feel I did learn the skills necessary to provide me a good job in the coming months.  My careers coach is also excellent and working to get me in the range of $65k-$85k before he is satisfied.  That sounds good to me!!!  Keeping my fingers crossed!!!  HARD PROGRAM AND EMOTIONALLY AND MENTALLY DRAINING FOR SURE!!!!  But that is also the point.
  • Michael Levy  User Photo
    Michael Levy • Junior Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had an excellent experience with Thinkful from day 1. My Academic Success Specialist Sue was highly responsive and always offering encouragement and tips for success. The mentor that I was originally paired with wasn't a great fit for me so after a couple of weeks I reached out to Sue and she found me an incredible mentor for the remainder for my program. My mentor was always available for a quick question via e-mail and was extremely helpful in cleaning up my presentation skills. I had a job interview near the end of my program that included a take-home data analysis project. My mentor offered to talk through the project with me and gave me advice on how to get started. I landed that job and started in July while finishing up my Thinkful coursework. Don't be afraid to start looking for work before you complete the program. At the start of my program the only experience that I had was some free online courses/youtube videos. I am confident that the knowledge that I gained in 5 months of the program was essential to my landing this job.

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here