thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Thinkful

Thinkful, a Chegg service, provides every adult learner with a pathway to a rewarding career. This online bootcamp offers fast-paced, career-focused programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Product Management, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. Students commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time format, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option. All programs include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and Q&A sessions with industry professionals.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll. Students continue to get personalized support from a dedicated career coach for six months after graduation, or until they’re hired. Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. Students join a community of 3,000+ learners and mentors to get on-demand help and build a professional network.

Thinkful also offers an expanding list of flexible payment options. Thinkful students are empowered to balance life and learning, and can complete any of the part-time programs even if they plan to keep working in an existing job. They can access course materials from anywhere in the world.

Prospective students can apply via Thinkful.com, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.55

all (732) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (107) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Data Visualization, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, SQL, Python
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Digital Marketing Immersion

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    The fastest way to launch your marketing career. Create campaigns and analyze results as you learn relevant, up-to-date technical skills. Showcase your knowledge with an interview-ready portfolio that stands out and earns job offers. Enroll now, and pay nothing until you’ve graduated and landed a job.
    Options:
  • Engineering Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • Technical Project Management Immersion

The fastest path to a project management career. Learn to leverage the tools used by top employers in this full-time, online course. Work through a project-based course that builds your portfolio with the support of industry experts, a rigorous curriculum, and paired workshops.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.
  • Matthew Seelig  User Photo
    Matthew Seelig • Consultant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     I recently completed the full-time Data Analytics Immersion course provided by Thinkful.  I was impressed with the amount of knowledge gained in a short period of time - in two weeks, I went from complete unfamiliarity with the advanced functions of Excel to passing an Excel assessment on LinkedIn with flying colors!  The support provided by Thinkful's instructors and counselors is tremendous, and the focus remains on career placement every step of the way.  I was able to secure a job offer less than a month after I completed the course!
  • Trevin Wacker  User Photo
    Trevin Wacker • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    All these perspectives are regarding the Flex program, the Immersive may be different.

My favorite thing about Thinkful was the mix of setting up for success in both the industry and as a job candidate.  Through the course of the program, the lessons and capstones are marked through helpful lessons in resume building, portfolio construction, and other necessary skills that, even if you've applied/had a substantial professional career, are great supplements to the coursework.  I'm self motivated but it's still helpful to make this a required stepping stone of the program, and I feel the feedback I got was very helpful.

I also really liked my mentor, he did a good job of providing guidance and ideas for my projects, and having overall advice on the Data Science field down to what laptops I should look into, but was also diligent on pushing me to produce really good work through the program.  Even as a new data scientist, it's important to demonstrate good work and capability and I'm glad I had him in my corner.

There were quite a few technical errors during my time in the program, including some delays in grading and one case where I never received grading at all, and the quality varied.  Some feedback was detailed and others not, and a majority of the assignments aren't graded regardless.  I would say that was my biggest letdown; I would've liked more feedback and at more consistent points throughout the program.  Once you get past coding it really does require a person to grade a project or assignment, but at least having some additional quizzes or shorter assignments that could be looked at would be helpful.

My interactions with other students was also very limited.  I was pretty involved with the student Slack channel and the career development sessions for my first two months, and then after never interacted with another student.  It is encouraged to but the community Slack channels for learners in the same city aren't very strong and, even though each capstone suggests that you'll present to your peers, I never did and was never able to.  I'm assuming this is all different for Immersion, but that program is more expensive and (obviously) more immersive.

Overall I would recommend the program, but self motivation really is key, especially after!  The program does a good job of setting you up and providing a path but it really is reliant on you to put in the work.
  • Mackenzie West  User Photo
    Mackenzie West • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I dropped out of college because I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do as a career so my sister told me to check out this program called Thinkful, and I immediately became interested in their digital marketing program. Joining their team was one of the best decisions I’ve made. I learned how to do so much in only 4 months, I loved how hands on all the projects were with me being a very visual learner. They pair you with a mentor that you meet with once a week and it was extremely helpful to me to be able to get that dedicated one on one time. I absolutely recommend this program!
  • S  User Photo
    S • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Great resources and materials covered, but I do think that they could have done better by matching the mentors that are experts in all kinds of tools that are covered in the curriculum. For example, my mentor is very knowledgable in Excel, SQL, but cannot really help in Tableau.
  • Vida  User Photo
    Vida • UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I really enjoyed my time with Thinkful in their UX/UI Design Immersion program. They have done a great job of creating courses led by actual designers who are still working within the field who can speak to the most needed skills that designers have right now. I got a great foundational education in design, I love that the projects are not cookie-cutter like other boot camp programs so each student's portfolio is distinguishable from their peers, and I got an overabundance of support with both coursework during the program and with job hunting after the program! The benefit of this boot camp is that your success as a student directly affects the success of the boot camp and Thinkful. Therefore the instructors, TAs, mentors, and career counselors do everything in their power to help you be as successful as you can be. The program is not for the faint of heart and it is hard work, but if you stick it out, there is no way you won't be successful!
  • Career Change
    - 4/14/2021
    Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently was contemplating changing careers, as my current career was not engaging enough for me, nor was I learning anything new on a daily basis. This time of reflection was happing just months before the COVID-19 outbreak. While cases were growing, my office actually closed its doors and I was left to seek new opportunities or learn new skills that would propel me into a new a rewarding career, that was both fulfilling and challenging. I came across Thinkful and it looked like a great place to develop the skills I needed to compete for a position in the tech industry. I knew I wanted to code and build applications so I joined Thinkful's Engineering Immersion course. The pace was intense and engaging, which is what I imagined a normal week for a developer would be. The depth of the education material was thorough and working 1:1 with cohort members and advisors was invaluable in preparation for dealing with co-workers and managers.
    After the course, I was paired with another advisor that helped me with every stage of applying to jobs, interview preparation, as well as reviewing and negotiating offers.

Overall, I believe I gained much invaluable information in a curriculum form that made sense to follow. I recommend Thinkful to anyone, either looking to change careers or get a head start in the industry, because of their outstanding program and commitment towards your success.
  • Brandon Niles  User Photo
    Brandon Niles • Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience was pretty good. I did however come into this program with a bit of technical experience that definitely helped me accel. The instructors were great for the most part. And the curriculum was challenging which I enjoyed.
  • Joshua Vaughan  User Photo
    Joshua Vaughan • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I discovered Thinkful's programming last year after losing my contract job due to the pandemic. The following are things I believe anyone interested in participating in their Bootcamp would find beneficial to know.

Let's start with the Positives:

1.) They offer a living stipend/income share agreement
    Thinkful's partnership with Vemo (not Venmo) opens the doors for many people struggling financially. I can honestly say that without this program I wouldn't have been able to attend this life-changing program. The stipend is 1500/month and was just enough to ensure all my bills were covered and that I could have some food in the fridge.

2.) Thinkful offers a job guarantee
    This job guarantee definitely was a major consideration. Especially the "qualifying position" points in the contract. I knew that any business that was willing to risk their revenues would have to be pretty sure of their programming and curriculum.

3.) Pair Programming focused learning (full-time immersion)
    Being able to work and network with other aspiring devs of differing skill and experience levels was one of my favorite parts of the program. It also gave me an idea of how I would fit in, culturally, to the industry. I was able to learn from and teach other students in the same way that I would in a work setting.

4.) Teaching Assistants were incredibly helpful!
    During business hours, TA's were always willing to sit with you until the issue you were facing was solved - and didn't leave until you felt comfortable with the concept you were having issues with. I cannot stress enough how great the TA's were.

5.) Mentors
    While some mentors were hit/miss, they allowed you to request new mentors until you found a fit. I had fantastic mentors, an Academic Success Manager who TRULY cared and had a vested interest in my growth, and several fantastic career coaches! I sincerely believe I would not be anywhere near as successful in my program without them!

Now for the constructive criticism:

1.) Communication to students about changes in the program are non-existent
    In the middle of my cohort, there were MASSIVE changes made that ran the risk of severely affecting our success.
    One of which was changing from dedicated TA's for each cohort to general TA's that also were working with another program not affiliated with Thinkful (from what I was told). Another change happened before our cohort was completed, in that the careers team were no longer guaranteeing us interviews with partnered employers. The program was eliminated and this was a major thing that set Thinkful apart from its competitors. This felt like disingenuity from Thinkful, given we were sold this program on certain things and it was just changed without letting us know ahead of time or having us grandfathered in to finish out our program.

2.) Certain instructors are toxic.
    While 3/4 of my instructors were fantastic, eager to guide and develop aspiring devs, 1 instructor in particular almost led me to attempt to find a way to leave the program. She would outright call out/embarrass people in class, would deflect any questions about the material with "call a TA after lecture", then show up in our paired rooms when we put in a TA ticket only to harass us and not answer the question or just flat out say "I dont know what you're asking" and leave the room and clear the ticket. Not a single student coming out of the React block of the curriculum felt strong and well over 50% dropped due to the inept and at times extremely unprofessional "teaching" style of this instructor. Every single person in the cohort put in a complaint against her, and I have recently attended AMA's and have found that she has gotten WORSE - with claims that she has been acting racist on camera during lectures. The fact that she is still working there is unacceptable and I know that all of my mentors have reached out to escalate this, but Chegg has not done anything to alleviate the situation and her employment continues. Were it not for her, this would be a fully 5-star review for instructors.

3.) Outdated Curriculum
    The curriculum at the time of me undergoing the program was, as was told to me by my original mentor who has since left, at least 2 years out of date. With that being said, I have seen Thinkful working to update the curriculum and am exceptionally happy about this. Seeing them drop jQuery and adding in hooks and functional components to the React course is great, and I'm actively seeing people going through the program talking about it in the slack channels - which is fantastic.

TL;DR Summary -
    I would and continue to recommend Thinkful to all of my friends and any aspiring devs. It was a fantastic program that was worth every penny for the resources I received. While I experienced one awful instructor, changes in programs without being informed, and an outdated curriculum that was being updated, I still managed to find a job within 60 days of graduation. I also gained a large group of friends from the program who are just as passionate about the industry as I was. 4.25/5 stars.
    Response From: Serena Green of Thinkful
    Title: Digital Marketing Associate
    Thursday, Apr 15 2021
    Hi Joshua. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a thorough review. We appreciate the kind words as well as the candid feedback. Regarding your comments about your instructor, we take that very seriously and would like to escalate this internally. Could you please email our Director of Educator Experience, Theresa, at theresa@chegg.com to investigate further?

Sincerely,
    Serena
  • Fantastic Program
    - 4/14/2021
    Bice  User Photo
    Bice • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended the engineering immersion program through Thinkful in 2020.
    I am very pleased with the quality of the program and what I learned in the curriculum.
    The experience was a rich and valuable one, and has led me to my recent employment as software developer. The options provided by Thinkful along with the stipend program paved the way to where I now find myself. Don't fool yourself, the program is rigorous and challenging, I came in with a lot of experience prior and still found it to be testing at times. But challenges are what we must endure to both value something and get us where we want to be. I recommend the program.
  • Jennifer  User Photo
    Jennifer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently graduated from the Designer Track of Thinkful's Bloc online program and had a very positive experience.

I do feel the curriculum, projects, and assessments have prepared me to enter the field of UX Design and I'm beginning work with the careers team now to start that journey. I enjoyed the self-guided curriculum and found it easy to move through, particularly with the support of real-time chat for curriculum support.

The program can feel isolating and frustrating at times if you don't take initiative to reach out for support. I didn't connect with my first mentor who was rarely fully available, but once advocating for my needs with the academic support team I ended up with two different excellent mentors throughout the remainder of my coursework and exceptional support from the academic support team. The support is there, but only if you seek it out. Creating and joining student groups on the Slack channels is also a great way to build up your support system, which you'll really need to fully enjoy the course in my opinion.

Overall, I'm so glad I did the program and I'm excited to begin working with the careers team!
  • Kyle  User Photo
    Kyle • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a really great experience with Thinkful's Engineering Flex program. I learned a lot of valuable tech skills and had tremendous support from my mentor and the Thinkful community.

The only thing I'd caution prospective students on is that the program is an enormous amount of work - particularly if you lack any prior programming experience. So if you work full time, have kids, or other competing obligations, then you should plan accordingly and be aware that projects may take longer than you anticipate. But that's because you will learn a lot!
  • Daphne  User Photo
    Daphne • Front End Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Thinkful provides a flexible channel and study environment for the students, and the mentor system is really helpful for beginners like me. Spent 8 months following the courses and landed a front-end engineer position two weeks after graduation. The capstone projects were evaluated with really high standards to make sure the graduate was qualified as a professional developer.

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here