thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online bootcamp that offers online, fast-paced, career-ready programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Product Management, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time course, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll.  Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. Thinkful also offers a tuition refund guarantee for qualifying courses, as well as an expanding list of payment support options.

Thinkful’s programs include the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, Data Analytics Flex, and Digital Marketing Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students can join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have stricter admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.56

all (670) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (102) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Data Visualization, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, SQL, Python
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Digital Marketing Immersion

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    The fastest way to launch your marketing career. Create campaigns and analyze results as you learn relevant, up-to-date technical skills. Showcase your knowledge with an interview-ready portfolio that stands out and earns job offers. Enroll now, and pay nothing until you’ve graduated and landed a job.
    Options:
  • Engineering Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • Technical Project Management Immersion

The fastest path to a project management career. Learn to leverage the tools used by top employers in this full-time, online course. Work through a project-based course that builds your portfolio with the support of industry experts, a rigorous curriculum, and paired workshops.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.
  • Richard van der Westhuizen  User Photo
    Richard van der Westhuizen • UI Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I changed careers from a graphic designer over to a UX/UI designer and Bloc/Thinkful's Designer Track course was my first point of contact. My experience was fantastic. They really go deep into all of the topics, as well as give you info that you would normally have to find on your own (and the material is refreshed constantly). My mentor was great, showed up every time and gave me fantastic guidance, that was one of the best experiences for me. Not only that the career guidance (and mentor) I received after finishing the course was incredible. They give you the tools and the necessary info to get out into the work-place. Everyone I dealt with went over and above their normal responsibilities which is refreshing. It's a tough course that requires a lot of commitment but very fulfilling once done.
  • Sara W  User Photo
    Sara W • Software Engineer • Verified via LinkedIn
    I found Thinkful in 2019 and enrolled in the Immersion pre-course in December. After completing the pre-work, I decided the Flex program would be a better option for me, so I switched! I talked to my mentor and my program manager and they were both very supportive of my decision to switch programs. On January 1, 2020 I started the Engineering Flex program. It was a unique situation as the Immersion pre-work is roughly the same as the first month of the Flex program. Thinkful was super helpful and helped me transfer my work so I didn't have to repeat what I just did.

I settled into a routine with my work and probably spent 20-30 hours per week on the program to start. After everything shut down, I was able to devote more time to the program. I had 3 different mentors - 1 for the first section when I thought I was doing the immersion program, another for the second module through capstone #1, and then another for the React/Node/capstones. I really was able to learn from all 3 of them and had a great experience with each of my mentors. Personally, learning on my own and working 1-on-1 with someone works well for me. I was able to work on my own time and while I did think this contributed to me taking a bit longer on the program, I think I was able to absorb more information.

My ASM (academic success manager) was also great. She was responsive and I always enjoyed talking to her. She was motivating as I pushed to finish which was helpful.

The curriculum made sense, for the most part. However, it is a lot of information in a short amount of time. You will not be completely ready for a job. You just have to be curious and willing to do some learning on your own.  Even throughout the program, I had to constantly look things up - which I was grateful for given that in any job you will be doing the same thing. This teaches you how to become a competent "Googler" and researcher. Being able to find the information you're looking for is crucial. I also highly suggest using the resources Thinkful provides, like the technical coaches and the Slack channel. These things were tremendously helpful for me.

I really appreciated the fact that technical interviews were included in the program. They are nerve-wracking and scary, but so necessary! I feel like that was a huge reason I was able to be successful in real-life interviews upon graduation. Definitely take these seriously and spend time preparing so you can be successful here.

GETTING A JOB IS NOT EASY. This was a big misconception for me, personally. I thought I would graduate and instantly find a job. I think this is a mistake of bootcamps in general and is not specifically Thinkful's problem. It is extremely difficult to find a position with no prior professional/commercial experience. I would recommend trying to find an internship or something to bridge the gap between bootcamp experience and real-life experience. You really have to be devoted to the job hunt and be willing to apply, put yourself out there, and continue learning after you graduate. A job (most likely) will NOT just fall in your lap. However, if you do the work, you will find a position. Just be patient and realize that it does take 3-6 months.

Overall, the program was great. I learned a ton of information and made some good connections. I appreciated how some career-prep was integrated into the program as well. I chose Thinkful because of their career support upon completing the program. I knew I would want help with the next step. I was super impressed with my career counselor. She did a fantastic job helping with responding to potential employers and helping me negotiate when I finally did accept a position.
  • Trina   User Photo
    Trina • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated form Thinkful's full stack engineering program back in August 2020, and overall I really enjoyed my experience with them. The course structure felt very organized and the staff were always available and willing to help with any issued we encountered. Each 8 hour day consisted of an hour lecture, then about 3 hours of pair programming, then a lunch break, another slightly shorter lecture, then the rest of the day spent pair programming.

We also did technical interviews regularly throughout the course to make sure that we were keeping up with the material, and to get some interviewing practice.

And we built a few projects to go in our portfolios. I like that they put a lot of focus on the job search as well as different work styles in the industry.

Like some other people mentioned, you wont learn absolutely everything you need to know to be job ready, but you will learn the fundamentals, as well as how to acquire the skills and experience you need to get into the industry.

Overall, I had a great experience with Thinkful, and I'm really proud of everything I learned in the course. I would do it all over again if given the chance.
  • Eric MacKay  User Photo
    Eric MacKay • Solutions Consultant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The Data Analytics Flex Program was exactly what I needed to make a career change from Customer Success to Data Analytics. They guide you through content in an efficient manner and build out your base skills for things that matter in the real world. There is a lot of focus on careers and many resources you have mock interviews with and get feedback and advice from - this was the best part of the program. I talked to I think around 10 people in the field throughout the program. My mentor met with me weekly and was helpful in more ways than just the coursework. Like any learning, you get out of it what you put into it and if you take advantage of the people and the resources then obtaining a job will come easily in the end.
  • UX/UI Design Flex
    - 2/25/2021
    Arlindo Pacheco  User Photo
    Arlindo Pacheco • User Experience Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I took the UX/UI Flex course in six months. The curriculum was great but you can't rely solely on that. You have to be curious enough to read, practice, and practice some more on your own. If you do that and take the curriculum seriously and always show up to mentor meetings, you are bound to be an amazing UX designer. After graduating, I was on the job search full time for 1.5 months before I got a job offer. Highly recommend!
  • A great experience
    - 2/15/2021
    Julianna  User Photo
    Julianna • UX Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    An overall great experience through this UX Design transition journey. All resources, mentors, career coaches and community were very supportive at all times!
  • Software Engineer
    - 1/29/2021
    Dustin  User Photo
    Dustin • Software Engineer • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently graduated from Thinkfuls Engineering Immersion course. My experience was pretty great from start to finish. The course is very fast-paced and you are expected to keep up. I would advise brushing up on your Javascript before enrolling. That being said, they are there to help you be successful. I always felt the instructors were knowledgeable and helpful. The TA's were probably the strongest part of the course. They did a great job of helping you solve your own issues.

This school offered a living stipend as well as deferred payments, which, without it would not have been possible for me to attend. The career services were great, they really do a lot to put you in a good position to find a job. I was hired before our official graduation date and am making 30k more than in my previous position. While the cost can be a bit steep, I feel that attending Thinkful has been a game-changer and absolutely worth it.

The one thing I think that they can improve upon is making sure their mentors are up to date with what the students are learning.
    My mentor was fantastic but at times it felt as if they were disconnected from the curriculum. Overall I would give Thinkful an A, it was a great experience and I am looking forward to my new career.
  • david  User Photo
    david • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    1/20/2021
    I've been in the UX/UI Intensive program and will soon complete it, and it has been hands down one of the worst experiences of my life. The instructors you meet with face to face are amazing, but literally every other aspect of the program is extremely toxic. The grading is inconsistent, the grading team will fail assignments for things that were not required in the assignment listing, and the actual content is stuff you could definitely find on youtube or somewhere else on the internet for free. It seems like Thinkful actively pushes students to drop out.
    They also straight up lied about class sizes. When I was in the middle of enrolling, the recruiter I spoke with assured me that the instructor to student ratio was about 1:20, only to sign up for the first day and find 60+ students in the cohort.
    Further, they assert that you'll easily find a job afterwards but their rates of successful employment are conveniently skewed from reality. For reference, the first class worth of students from this particular program still has a high unemployment rate amongst them.
  • Meghan Allen  User Photo
    Meghan Allen • UI / UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This was a very inclusive and well rounded educational journey done virtually. I was facing a lot of challenges last year (as we all were) in 2020 and at some point down the line decided that I needed to try something new,: learn and polish up some new and existing skill sets. Thinkful (A.K.A Bloc.io) coursework fit right into what I resonated with.  The mentors, Academic Success Team, and connections with other "classmates" via Slack made everything even more inclusive even without it being in-person.

Even when I was facing some pretty heavy life circumstances, my mentor and Academic success team helped me through while making me accountable. So understanding and supportive.

As for the coursework, it was self paced and seemed to be inclusive of all learning styles. It was a good mix of hands on, readings, and videos. There was also group sessions available almost everyday for your to jump in if you just needed to watch, listen, or have another expert help you with a project or module you were working on.

Not only that, but Thinkful had an expert chatroom that would connect you with a curriculum expert on the fly if you weren't able to jump into a group session.

After graduation, you will still have connections with the Career Sucess Team to land a job and polish up your interviewing skills.

So many options to be successful and reach your goal.

Thank you, Thinkful.

• Peter  User Photo
    Peter • Frontend Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I signed up for the course after going the self-teaching route for a few months. While self-teaching I would often find myself going down various rabbit holes or jumping between languages or frameworks thinking that I somehow had to cram massive amounts of information into my brain. Here's what I've come to realize - there's more information in the world of programming than you could possibly master in a lifetime, and most developers only really grasp small pieces of it at a time in order to solve a problem at hand.

That brings me to where I found value in the course: it focused me on understanding the fundamentals of one aspect of programming, developing applications for the web browser. There's a sizeable market for this particular skill right now, and Thinkful did the work of figuring out which technologies are in-demand and guiding me in practicing them. There's a much higher value proposition in mastering one specific area of development than in trying to be a jack-of-all-trades.

The curriculum is well-written, well-paced, and well-structured. It was definitely the highlight for me. I didn't use the lectures or Q&A a whole lot, simply because there are so many high quality resources available on the web already that are hard to compete with. I found I understood something better by reading the MDN docs than by listening to someone talk about it on a video conference. However that might be particular to my temperament - someone else might prefer to talk to someone.

Mentor and Program Manager meetings happened weekly and were good for accountability, as well as for forcing me to clarify my understanding of concepts into words.  I tried using the Technical Coaching a few times, but found that in the time it takes to explain a technical problem to someone it's usually faster to just figure it out for myself. I also engaged in discussions with other students on slack, which I often found to be valuable. If there's one thing I'd change, it would be to emphasize pair-programming more in the course. So learn from my mistake, and drag some fellow students into pair-programming sessions.

TLDR; I had a good experience with Thinkful. They provided me with solutions to my weaknesses: structure, focus, and marketing myself to HR departments. But definitely start with self-teaching and be absolutely sure that you enjoy spending hours of your day working on code and figuring things out before you sign up for a bootcamp. A bootcamp won't make you a developer, but it can be a useful tool in your journey to make yourself a developer.
  • Engineering Flex
    - 12/18/2020
    Kelley Buccieri  User Photo
    Kelley Buccieri • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    If you have are interested in making a career change and are looking to work in the web development industry, Thinkful is the place for you. With very limited exposure to programming in the past, I was able to create two full-stack applications and several other web apps. This program is certainly challenging and at times frustrating(*debugging*), but it is every bit worth it if you have a passion for programming and solving puzzles. The career training I received from this program as well as the knowledge I obtained over the course of 8 months, has allowed me to pursue a career in web development. I was able to get a job within this industry just three months after graduating. I am very happy and grateful that this program was referred to me. If you're looking to turn your career around, take a look into Thinkful's programs. See if there's a fit!
  • Fullstack Dev
    - 12/10/2020
    Keith  User Photo
    Keith • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     It's pretty good.  It's a fair bit of work, but it prepares you well.  The job assistance is really spectacular.  The non-educator middle management bureaucrat scumbag employees are the only concern I would go in with; that and the very strict and limited absence policy.  Otherwise, it is a really good program that I do legitimately recommend.

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here