thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, and design. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (513) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (79) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, SQL, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    Rolling Start Date
    Online, Detroit, Atlanta, Washington, Los Angeles, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, Dallas, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Austin, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    Self-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    Rolling Start Date
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Intermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    September 30, 2019
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Advanced degree
    September 30, 2019 - OnlineApply by August 4, 2019
    November 18, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
    January 2, 2020 - OnlineApply by December 11, 2019
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/pricing/#financing
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 21, 2019
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
    Options:https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/full-time/#payment-options
    October 21, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 2, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - OnlineApply by November 18, 2019
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 2, 2019
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/nights-weekends/#pricing
    October 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 2, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - OnlineApply by November 18, 2019
  • Product Design Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/product-design/flexible/#pricing
    Interview

I had a very bad experience with Thinkful. My mentor was really great though, as a person and as an amazing professional in his field, which is why I am giving him 5 stars. Actually, all mentors that crossed my path were really great.

I started the program in September 2017. In good faith, I paid up front the whole amount for the Web Development Flex program (bad idea, as it turned out). Everything was fine for five months, until I discovered that none of my two program managers (PM) were aware of my falling behind. So after five months, I finaly recieved my graduation trajectory, after asking for it for weeks. Well, it was there all along, it just wasn't shared with me. I was one month behind. There was no way that I would finish in time. My second PM told me that I would have to pay monthly until I finish the program, in addition to what I already paid. I was really upset about this. Few days later, they broke the contract and accused me of yelling and insulting the staff. Absolutely ridiculous. I am a firm person, I know what I want and I know what is fair and what is not. I don't have to be pleasant when I am presented with this mess. I invested $8000 in this and I wanted to get what was promised to me. But, this was one-way deal, it was their way or the highway, which is fine, but they also kept my money, which is not fine.

Miss-worded policy

During the one-week back and forth between me and my PMs that were not hepful at all, and if I didn't ask million of questions, while trying to learn and code (I basicaly did their job), I would not even know the protocol concerning the pause days. So I finally looked at their pause days policy and asked about that, and so my PM told me that the policy is miss-worded and I did not understand it correctly.

Also, my PM said that she told me that I haven't been investing enough time in my projects during our meeting. That conersation never occured. I called her out on that and she appologized. I accepted the apology.

Attempt to resolve my problem,

There was one attempt during the video phonecall, where we came up with a plan and continued to work together. By the way, it is during this cideo phonecall that they said I yelled and insulted the staff. We continued to work normally after this, at no point did they say to me that I was yelling or insulting. I remember us smiling, discussing, also my husband was in the room, he tought it went well. Really strange, but also dishonest, in my opinion, to later deem this conversation to be disrespectful. I think that if somone was yelling and insulting me, I would ask them to stop right away, why go for 30 min with me yelling and insulting? That makes no sense.

Also during the same call we reached a plan, that they would change a day later without consulting me. Again very autocratic. They said that there were multiple attempts to solve my problem that they caused. but there was one and in the period of exactly two days, and that one went from bad to worse.

Dismissal letter

Few days after the video call, I recieved the letter, I wrote the letter of apoogy, because they, in my opinion, held my investment hostage, I felt emotionally draned after dealing with them. I really had nothing to apologize for, as I received no apologies from them for being in my predicament. As other things in my experience with Thinkful, my apology fell on deaf ears, but I had to accept their apologies for fabrications, "miss-worded" policies, resolution plans that they kept changing. Actually my graduation date changed twice.

In this whole process, I asked the student support manager to call me, he did not communicate with me at all. Just with his staff that was at fault. They did not want to hear from the student.

The thing is I had a major red flag when I read their term of service and the learning contract, they are both extremely one-sided and autocratic. Where is the respect for my investment? Should I have just pay more, accept the solutions to my problem that were detremental to me? They said that their employees felt bullied by me, but they just went along with it and did not write a formal complaint, why didn't they? I feel bullied in that they dismissed me like I was their employee but kept my money.

So, I ended up paying $5300 for the following:

-no job guarnantee, or a job or a chance to obtain a job with the their help.

-no full stack knowledge,

-I got nothing out of the course that I can monetize, because I am that absolute beginner that did really well, but that was of no concern to the support manager. I needed job assistance, help with portfolio.

- mentorship, that I didn't purchase, or consented to purchase. I purchased the whole program.

-forceful withdrawal, because they were sick of my questions and requests as a paying customer.

The only reason why I decided to go with Thinkful is because of the job guarantee and because of all these great coursereport data.

My problem lies only with the administrative part of Thnkful, this was just not a good fit, I don't like relaxed policies or the idea that somone has an autcratic control over my investment of thousands of dollars. I deeply regret ever investing in my education through Thinkful.

Great mentorship. Many course sections need to be more rigorously copy edited for typos and dead links.

• Happy Student
    - 8/26/2016

I have enjoyed the UX Design Thinkful course very much over the past month. I think the course work is very informative and relevant and gives a good overview of what goes in to UX Design. I have really enjoyed my mentor. I think that is the most valuable part of the program is having someone who knows what they are doing give advice and guidance. Of course, with programs like this you get out what you put into them. As long as you are willing to put the work in Thinkful will help you progress in a positive way.

Thinkful's customer service and professional mentorship are the program's best assets. I was always impressed by how accessible Thinkful staff are. Here's one example: I was worried that my final project wouldn't quite be up to snuff before another billing cycle. If Thinkful just wanted my money, they could have made me pay for another round, but instead, they were on my side and worked with me to make sure my final project was solid.

The front-end unit was pretty easy thanks to resources like codecademy, but suddenly the back-end unit made me feel clueless at first. I definitely felt frustrated at first, but I think that Thinkful was doing me a favor by making me seek out answers to suppliment the provided material. Also, they made that seeking-out-of-answers pretty easy by responding to all questions on Slack channels and pointing me in the direction of articles and tutorials that made the pieces click. I realize now that I will have to know how to go out and find the answers to most of the problems I encounter as a web developer, so I am really glad that the curriculum didn't hand me all the answers off the bat.

My wife and I both joined thinkful, both of us have quit after two months. And let me say firstly, laziness was not an issue. We spent hours every day trying to do this course, we did not seek "handholding" nor did I enter this with an illusion of becoming an engineer overnight, this program is expensive and I wish I had sought better information before handing the cash over.

If you are  looking for an immersive educational experience leading to a career change, this is not the program for you. If your company is paying for it and you are looking to kill time and put on a good front for the boss this is perfect, or perhaps for some reason you want to buy an ebook that cost thousands of dollars; this is the program for you.

Expect the course material to be 100% reading and assignments based on the reading, expect the solutions to be wrong(wasting days and days and weeks and weeks), expect your personal mentor to have no  knowledge of the course material itself or your prgress throughout it, expect no help, expect arrogance and condesention when you seek help.

Not many graduate, they claim 60%(read the fine print of their report) graduate the program and if that is true I would be surprised that the graduate rate is even that high. I never wanted to write a review like this and stayed loyal as long as I could but the truth is they don't care about your success, and I would hate to see someone lose hope in learning to code and make the life changes simply because they were fooled and signed up for the wrong program. I switch to the free version of CodeSchool.com and in 10 minutes learned more then 2 months of heartache from thinkful.

• Anonymous • Primary School Teaching Assistant • Student

Are you totally intimidated by the phrase "Full Stack Web Developer"? I was too. Thinkful's entire Slack community dispelled my fears. Anytime I had a question, Thinkful was there to point me in the right direction. Anytime I was worried about career options or needed further support, Thinkful was there. My mentors were all engaged and helpful, and when (due to scheduling conflicts) I needed to switch to a new mentor in my first few weeks of the course, the mentorship manager was immediately on it to get me the connection I needed. The career services team is up-front, kind and thorough, and I have every confidence that they will be able to place me in the right network as I move past graduation.

I've never programmed before so I didn't know what to expect, but Thinkful has made it a smooth easy to understand. The curriculum covers a lot of core topics, and the projects they assign test your knowledge thoroughly. My mentor is great – quick to respond and good feedback. The sessions generally go over the projects – any key points that you miss will be pointed out, and solutions different from yours will be shown to give you an idea of how experienced programmers think.

The only negative thing that I could say is that the reading material isn't always as in-depth as it should be in my opinion. Sometimes in order to do parts of some of the projects that they assign or answer some of the questions they ask, I find myself having to look at free online sources. But that isn't too big of a deal because the information is readily available (for free), and you are guided towards learning this information by the projects and questions so you won't miss out.

Great course overall.

• Excellent
    - 6/22/2016

I just completed Thinkful's Web Development Career Path and was very impressed with the program. I’ve been coding regularly for over a year now and I am currently seeking full-time work as a full stack developer. During the program I studied in depth, full stack JavaScript web development, created four personal projects, and received excellent mentorship. I was able to complete the program in three months without working. I recommend this program to anyone starting out in web development.

• Good Investment
    - 6/19/2016
    Anonymous • Quality Assurance Rep • Student

I have been enrolled in Thinkful for about 1 month now, so very new and very new to coding itself. I am a true beginner coder, changing careers. I was between Viking and Thinkful and did a lot of research to see what would be best for me. The cost, length of course, mentorship and career help was what led me to Thinkful ultimately. I knew that I would need help along the way with the intensity of the program and so mentorship was key for me. My mentor Marius is a superb mentor that has been doing web dev for a considerable amount of time, so I knew I was getting a professional.

I will say, the course is hard (is for me) but very much worth it. As much as I struggle is as much as I thrive and motivated to go the next challenge and see my coding create sites. You will struggle, you will doubt yourself and you will wonder if you will get better and YOU WILL if you stick with it and do the work involved.

I know I'm only a month in, but I have already learned so much! Only 5 months more to go!

• Meh
    - 6/1/2016

I am currently taking the $300 a month Frontend Web Development course.

Pros:

1. Quite a bit of course material.
    2. Course material can sometimes be in depth.
    3. Good mentorship
    4. Breaks down learning into easy steps.
    5. Good amount of projects to work on.

Cons:

1. Course material 95% of the time is extremely vague.
    2. No video's.
    3. For the most part you have to look other places to actually learn about what they cover.
    4. You get the feeling that a lot of the course work was just mashed together from other free websites out there.
    5. The price they charge for the course. Not worth $300. $100 a month or less seems a fair price.

Overall I am very unimpressed with this course. The course material is altogether very vague. Going through it almost feels like you have to decipher everything line by line. I believe they do this so that it takes you longer to go through it so that they can charge you more.

If you are willing to drop money on an online course I would honestly look any where else but here. In all fairness I am going to complete the course and then look else where to continue my education. I would not recommend thinkful.com to anyone.

Curated curriculum means most of the content is from FREE web resources.  So I guess you're paying for the Mentor, except my mentor never answered any questions but rather threw me some weblinks and told me to go on Slack or Stackoverflow.

Yeah, I know I can find the answers online but I'm asking YOU right NOW for the answer. She also told me to go to Codeacademy - again another FREE resource.

I had high hopes for Mentor led learning but at Thinkful I got the impression that my Mentor was just trying to fulfill a quota of meetings and killing time just to reach the required 45 minute minimum.

I'll give Thinkful credit in that it got me to start using Github and Terminal but most of the technical learning I did on other resources like Codeacademy and even Lynda.com (my current employer has a company account).

• Anonymous • Student • Graduate

Just finished up Thinkful's FrontEnd Development Course with a dedicated mentor.  In full disclosure, I conducted a signfiicant amount of diligence into how best begin exploring a career in coding -- and after reading many reviews, making calls, talking with references, I decided to choose Thinkful.  Importantly, my own personal experience over the past five months has been entirely consistent with the feedback I had received from a myriad of others before embarking on the course.

My experience with Thinkful:  This was truly my first coding experience and while I was bit nervous, my assigned mentor literally assuaged each and every one of my concerns.  IN so many ways, Thinkful bridges an important, critical gap between asychronous, self-paced, online free learning and on the other end of the spectrum, jumping into a coding bootcamp, full-time (whether online or in residence.)

With Thinkful, I got access to:

(1) a very strong online curriculum that allowed me to work on my own pace

(2) a strong, active and supportive community of both instructors and fellow students with ample opportunities to participate in workshops (think extra, live classes)

(3) And most importantly, a dedicated "mentor" who was litearlly with me every step of the way.

I cannot emphasize enough how important this mentor-relationship is.  While Thinkful calls its instructors mentors - I really thought of my mentor (TJ) as a super coach.  He is a professional developer with a ton of experience -- experiences that he shared with me that went well above and beyond the actual curriculum itself.  For example, there were multiple times in which TJ suggested fantastic additional, free learning resources that were outside the scope of the Thinkful online curriculum that I would likely not have found myself.  There were instances were TJ told me that it would pay off in dividends to invest the extra time and effort to learn a ton of Git shortcuts.  He was right.

Most of all, my Thinkful mentor served as an inspiring and encouraging coach. Not only were all of my 1-on-1 sessions with him instructive and incredibly helpful, but knowing that I had a meeting scheduled with TJ was super motivational to put the extra time in - even after a long & tiring day at school - so that I could be best prepared to a) try to impress him and b) make sure that I used the time most effectively to address questions or concepts that I had been struggling with on my own.

For my "capstone" project - TJ continued to be super encouraging and incredibly helpful.  I wanted to go a little further for my FrontEnd project - so I literally developed and launched a commercial website that's now generating approximately $1K per month in revenue just a few weeks after launch.  My Thinkful mentor was not only open to helping me with my project as part of our mentor sessions together, but was incredibly helpful in teaching me how to do things like STRIPE API integration, leveraging AWS et al. Again, I realize that these things may seem both obvious and simple -- but remember, prior to starting Thinkful, I had absolute zero experience.

To balance out this review, I really wish there were some things I could point to for areas of improvement in regards to the overall Thinkful experience.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) there really aren't.  Ultimately, the litmus test for me is will I be returning for the next course sequence at Thinkful? The answer is yes.  I could not recommend Thinkful and it's mentor program more highly.  Truly.

• Full Stack Flex
    - 10/4/2018
    Ellen • Student

Thinkful has provided me with great resources to be successful in this program. I was able to complete the 6 month program in 4 months by working on it full time. A few things that I wish I had been prepared for were to do some additional learning and research on my own to discover new things, and to reach out for help much earlier and more often. I found myself scrambling to work on things on my own, and once I owned up to the fact that I needed help and asked for it, I was able to learn and do so much more. Some of the curriculum is slightly dated (for example deploying to heroku, rather than another deployment site), based on the jobs I'm applying to, but there are plenty of external resources and other thinkful mentors and students to get help from. If you're coming from a completely different background, like I did, be prepared for a steep learning curve.

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

92% of job obtainers reported salaries.