thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, design, and product management. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (544) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (82) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, Data Visualization, SQL, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    LocationOnline, Detroit, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced degree
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.

• Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.

• Product Management Flex

This flexible, online Product Management course is built to help you start a brand new, high-paying tech career. You’ll receive a personal mentor, work on real-world projects, and benefit from career coaches.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.

Options:

I didn't make it far in the course, but when I did make an honest effort to do what they wantted, I found the way they formatted the curriculumn to be overly complicated. I am very new to HTML and CSS and didn't understand when they would say to do something because it was poorly formatted. Perhaps the expectation was for people to know more before taking the course but they said it was for beginners, and I didn't find that to be the case. They even had examples of what the code should look like but when I was showing it to my instructor, we realized the code they used was causing problems for my page, which lead to me getting frustrated. I really didn't have time to waste but waste it I did.

• Backend in Node.js
    - 6/26/2015
    Aaron • Graduate

To lead with the positives,my assigned mentor Denis was fanastic.Extremely knowledgeable, and further was available both for our scheduled meetings and via email, which was a big help for a number of questions that I had. He was an excellent guide in understanding how Node.js works in real life. Thinkful itself did  a very good job in facilitating the class, and when I initially had problems synching up with my first mentor, they readily extended the course availability until a new one was assigned. The curriculum itself though I found to be a little lackluster. I appreciate that it was building a project, but I feel that it was a level of instruction below that which I've gotten at Codeschool and Treehouse. In fact, both of those sources were used for certain parts of the course. Thinkful's own lessons were fairly quick, and I don't feel really went into depth the way I was expecting. Also, there were some typos and other issues in the course that made it seem that it wasn't quite ready for primetime (though I'm assuming these have since been improved, as I did report them to Thinkful). Overall, this course felt like it was second fiddle to their more premiere front-end offerings. Given the strength of my mentor, correspondingly high quality instruction material could have really made this course shine. I wonder if it's just biting off a little more than it can chew, as backend programming really seems to require more depth than can be delivered in a short term online course.

• Thinkful Thoughts
    - 5/29/2015

I just graduated from Thinkful's main FEWD (Front End Web Design) course. I have not yet tried to find a job as this process is a career change for me and I am still financially hooked to my prior job for a few more months. I cannot therefore speak to Thinkful's job assistance, but they have offered to help even though it was not covered in my original package.

I have to start off by saying how hard to back office staff works to hear from their students and learn from what they like and dislike about their program. They seemed super attentive to anything you had to say, whether that’s for me, their business, or both, I just can't say, but it did feel as though it was for me.

I did have a small amount of coding background coming into the course. A long length of time trying to teach myself, but not a huge amount of actual time was spent given that I work a 55+ hour a week job with lots of travel. That is the main reason I choose Thinkful and I think overall that was a smart move. Thinkful's biggest competitor is Bloc. Thinkful is a bit newer and rapidly growing everyday thus it is hard to make a full comparison, however, because I spent the money, I think I shall.

Thinkful is cheaper but you do receive what you pay for in this area. The curriculum had a huge number of errors, mainly typographical, however, they started to wear on the student as you go through the material. Given that Thinkful is so young, it is understandable, but nonetheless, quite irritating. Also on the curriculum, there was a great deal of "go to this other website and read their lessons and then come back here for your project". They are updating it as we speak, all the time, and have multiple version going at the same time depending on when you start. This was one of my two biggest pet peeves with Thinkful. Their curriculum is just not uniquely theirs while Bloc's does have a home written curriculum. My other pet peeve was that I was unable to choose my mentor specifically. While they were quite knowledgeable, they did not fit me personally and had some other shortcomings that I would have at least been able to attempt to rectify by choosing one that aligned with my goals. I am confident, that had I complained to Thinkful, they would have changed me out, however, like I said, I would then just be paired with another mentor at random, without really fixing the problem of alignment.

Thinkful's projects are great, though a bit on the lighter side. It is only 3 months of about 10 hours a week but still I felt that doing just the projects at face value would not lead to much help. I took my own initiative as much as I could to do extra for each project, just for the practice. I know Bloc's projects are much more in depth and of larger number. I would have liked that.

My overall conclusion is therefore, that for the money, this is a great program. If you want to go their online only, Bloc is quite expensive but offers more, and Thinkful is cheaper but offers less. This Thinkful program was still great and I would recommend to anyone that cannot afford the Bloc courses or does not need the intensity of that program.

• Jun C. • Corporate Safety and IT Specialist • Graduate

I was a student at Thinkful over a year ago in their Programming in Python course in which I learned to develop a dynamic website using Python and Flask in the backend.

At the time, I wanted to enhance my knowledge and potentially advance or change my career from the pharmaceutical industry to the tech industry. I was researching a number of options. I could get an AA degree in CS from one of the local community colleges; getting a BS was out of the question since the local universities here in San Diego, CA do not allow for a secondary BS and so my other option was getting an MS in CS at one of the universities. This meant that I would have to study for and take the GRE... meh, that's a lot of commitment for exploring getting into the tech industry.

I also read a few articles about bootcamps and so I researched that. Unfortunately, there are no local bootcamps in SoCal. They're based near Silicon Valley and New York. Going into a bootcamp would've required me to quit my job for a few months and hope that I would find a job after the end of the bootcamp pending the fact that I don't burn out from the bootcamp. Since I already had job, the risk of doing a bootcamp didn't seem worth it.

There were also these other free online courses and MOOCs... Udacity, Udemy, Coursera, etc... and I also came across Thinkful.com. I've taken some courses on Udacity and learned how to program with JavaScript. These free online courses and MOOCs were great! Learn at your own pace and sometimes they were free or relatively cheap. And then comes Thinkful...

It's somewhere between a full on bootcamp (I'm assuming here since I've never done a bootcamp) and a MOOC. You pay for their course and service (which is a sh*t-ton cheaper than the cost of a bootcamp) on a monthly basis and in the end, you graduate the course by working on and presenting a project with real world use. My final project was an "Online Training Website" in which a user can log in, do training courses, and it tracks which training courses you've completed. I used Python, Git, SQLAlchemy, Flask, and MySQL to create this site and I've actually put it into use at my current place of employment and they liked it so much since it was value-adding to our safety training. My company was recently bought out by another company (actually, the number one company in my particular industry) and I may even be able to use my training website in this company...

Anyway, I've learned so much from Thinkful and I would definitely recommend it. The most valuable difference between Thinkful and MOOCs or other online courses such as the ones I took at Udacity and Coursera is that you have a mentor... a person who works in the industry with the technologies that you're learning. You do the assignments, just like Udacity or Coursera or Udemy... but when you're stuck on an assignment or if you don't understand the how or why... you have your assigned mentor availble to help you out. That personal touch can't be beat. And even if your mentor isn't available at that time, you have other mentors available to help you out. This type of positive experience doesn't even compare to MOOC forums or MOOC TAs.

After graduating from Thinkful, I've taken a few Python programming MOOCs here and there and honestly, I wouldn't have been able to pass some of those MOOCs without the knowledge I gained from Thinkful. And if I didn't pass those MOOCs, it would've been a waste of time and commitment...

My overall experience with Thinkful was awesome and my mentor was excellent! I've learned a lot about his programming workflow and about his experience in the industry... that's something you'll never ever learn in a MOOC!  They are continually updating and improving their curriculum so I know the courses I did while I was their have improved. I haven't really looked into their Job Assistance as of yet since I'm still currently employed in the pharma industry (and using what I've learned at Thinkful) but I just might check with them in the near future...

If you're looking at bootcamps... have a look at Thinkful first... maybe that's a better option for you and they have other courses too! If you don't want to pay... go ahead and look at Coursera, Udemy, Udacity, etc... but when it gets to the point where you plateau in your learning, type http://thinkful.com into your web browser...

• Varun • Engineer • Graduate

I wanted to learn about front end web development and somebody told me about thinkful. I got enrolled and it was a great journey. I learned a lot and it helped me to make my next carrer switch.

• Cody Karst • Graduate

When I found Thinkful I was looking for a way to reclaim my life and my time.  I wanted to be able to work from home and focus on my family.  After all, I didn't get married and have three wonderful kids just to spend the majority of my waking time at work.  I wanted to be there, to watch them grow up. I realized that the only currency of worth in our lives is time. You can't get time back and you can't stop spending it.  The thought of missing years of my kids lives because I worked a "traditional" job weighed heavy on my heart. It was a driving force pushing me to make radical change.

College was just to expensive and time consuming.  I didn't want a well rounded education I wanted a specialized one. I wanted to hone my skills towards a specific goal and while college degrees are cool and all it just wasn't going to work for me.

When I discovered Thinkful the first thing I noticed was that they were really friendly. In fact I was able to get on the phone and talk to them right away. They were quick to go over the pros and cons of online learning. They let me know that it was on my own time frame and that I could go as fast or as slow as I wanted.  They told me about how the mentorship program works and what I could expect.  I was the most excited about the prospect of a mentor.  After attempting to self teach my self front-end dev and hitting wall after wall with no one to ask for help I was ready for a mentor.

After speaking with Thinkful I continued to research my options. I reached out to several other prominent online bootcamps and after weighing all of the pros and cons of each I decided to choose Thinkful.

The price was right and the people seemed exceptionally warm and sincere.  I took a leap and enrolled and it changed my life!

My mentor was/is amazing.  He is the reason I was able to succeed through the whole process.  He not only provided support and accountability but true friendship.  I always looked forward to our weekly hangout and a chance to ask questions and show off my work.  He was always patient and took the time to make sure I really understood the curriculum. There were times when I just didn't get things.  In fact several times we focused on the same weeks problem for several weeks.  He made 100% sure I got it and I was ready to move forward.  He wasn't trying to push me through, he was teaching me.  And I actually...gasp LEARNED the content!

I found the curriculum well done.  It continued at a good pace. I felt like each new concept was introduced at the right time and it was challenging but not overwhelming. Thinkful suggests that the Front-end dev course should take about three months.  I took four months and that felt just right.  I was able to spend time with my family and still have time to continue to learn.

Midway through my course I decided to make the jump into freelancing. I had  reduced my hours to part time at my job but that wasn't enough. I needed a change! So I quit and went 100% into freelancing.  It was scary as hell but I had made up my mind.  I knew my skill set was strong enough to start charging. I also felt confident in my ability to learn and master my trade.

I am now in the second year of my business. It hasn't been easy and I know there are still many challenges ahead of me but its been the best years of my life. I work from home and get to enjoy my beautiful wife and children every day. I am watching them grow up and giving them my time instead of a job I didn't like. I just bought a house and I am getting the privilege to partner with exceptional clients.

I went on to take the awesome Angular.JS course with Thinkful.  I was even given the honor to help write some of the content for Thinkful's freelancing course.  Things have gone full circle and I honestly couldn't have done it on my own.  Thinkful was the foundation I needed to get going and help me live my dream.  I am so thankful for Thinkful!

• John Marks • Fullstack Developer

This was a great class, boosting my frontend productivity. The Angular (v1.3) curriculum presented the necessary info and concepts to understand a very large portion of the framework.

It seems that many people today are struggling with Angular, but I love it. Working on old jQuery only apps was such a pain. The Angular framework employs convention over configuration, providing it's own way to create a slick MVC separation between the view (HTML/CSS) and the JavaScript/backend and model. It's built-in dependency injection system is genius. The controllers are super easy to learn. The services handle all business logic and talking with backends. Directives really make Angular what HTML6 should be. I know that are some problems with AngularJS (makes SEO tough, startup load can be slow), but it is such a huge leap forward in SPA development.

The Thinkful team built a very powerful curriculum. Just do it one lesson at a time, and you will come out the end understanding most of the Angular framework. My mentor (Leon) was in the UK (six hours later) and was very helpful. He had been using Angular from the early days and really knew the framework. If you already have a bit of backend experience, having Angular under your belt will definitely give you a boost in productivity. Use Thinkful if you want to do it right.

• Thinkful Thoughts
    - 4/26/2015

• Emily K • Graduate

My experience with Thinkful was extremely positive from the beginning. Before enrolling, I wanted to make sure that I would be able to get a mentor that really worked with me. They asked me for guidelines in choosing a mentor for me, and assured me that I could request a change if we didn't "click." Luckily, we did.

The material is very well-presented in an order that makes sense. You dive in actually writing code right away, and work on projects throughout. These projects provide not only hands-on learning, but finished pieces you can show to prospective employers. Many are still in my portfolio today.

The weekly sessions with your mentor are what what really set this program apart from others, IMO. My mentor was great. She helped me when I needed it without just fixing things for me, which helped me understand things. She was available by email outside our scheduled sessions. She was AWESOME.

In addition to mentors, there is a student community where you can post your projects for help or feedback, both from other students and other TAs and mentors. This is frequently the fastest way to get help. There are also office hours daily (or close to daily) via google hangout with different mentors. Anyone can go into the office hours hangout and get help or ask questions. Sometimes the mentor will talk about aspects of the industry if there's not people that need help with specific questions. This was SO valuable!

I also found the support staff to be friendly and quick to respond to technical issues or feedback.

When I finished my course at Thinkful I felt confident as a junior front end developer. I would highly recommend this program to anyone, especially those looking for something in between completely self-directed study like Treehouse and a full bootcamp.

I believe that since I finished, they have expanded the course to include job search assistance, which would make it even more valuable.

• Aaron Piotrowski • Developer • Graduate

The Front-end course at Thinkful was one of the best experiences that I've had during my journey to become a developer. They have a easy to read and understand, yet thorough material set. I started with no knowledge of programming or writing markup, and afterwards was able to build sites from the ground up. One of the reasons that I feel I got so much out of the program is that I was able to have one on one time with a mentor. I could talk through the problem that I was stuck on and they would help me figure it out. The keyword being help, you don't learn anything from someone spoon feeding you the answers. Learning to solve problems is such an important skill.

The other reason that I enjoyed the program is that I never once felt like I was competing against my peers. I was able to work at my own pace and not burn myself out. I did move from Thinkful to an on location bootcamp and I feel I can say that people are able to learn without coding 16+ hours a day.

I want to explain the 1 star for Job Assistance. During my enrollment at Thinkful they didn't really have any career help after the program. They have since started a career assistance section. I haven't taken it so I can't give an honest opinion of it.

• FEWD review
    - 4/15/2015
    Chris • Graduate

During the summer of 2014 I attended the online Thinkful FrontEnd Web Development (FEWD) course.  I use to be a web developer, but had since fallen out of the game, not knowing what was relevant vs. irrelevant.

In a very short period of time, the FEWD course got my interest back in the field, and also got me up to speed on pertinent things to focus on while trying to get back into the field.  This course come down to how immersed you allow yourself to become in the overall course.  By overall course I mean, using the community chat, joining the office hour hangout meetings, as well as completing your assignments, etc...

Weekly hour long, and they typically went over, sessions with the same mentor throughout the course was more than beneficial.  My mentor would give amazing real world examples of scenarios that I might find myself in somewhere along the line, and I could ask him or her questions about certain WebDev ideas that I may have and they would dive right in, helping me every step of the way.

In summary:

• Great course
    • Worth the money spent
    • You get out what you put in
    • Great people!
  • Great resources
    - 4/15/2015
    Troy • Graduate

If you are autodidactic but need a little bit of guidence, Thinkful is amazing. I had a little experience building static websites with HTML and CSS, but really wanted to get more programming experience with Javascript. I had clear objectives and knew what I wanted to learn. This is important because I hit a wall with my first mentor, but Thinkful was accomodating and found me someone who could take me the rest of the way through the course with my particular learning goals in mind.

I had high expectations for the Full Stack Rails course, however I was very disappointed.  Their coverage of most topics is superficial and the links they provide for in depth information are to other organization's free online resources.

They skim over many fundemental topics and have you enter a code snippet without explaining fully why.  If you have any difficulties with tasks in the course, such as database migration, they request that you go search for a solution in stackoverflow or search in google.

I never have received a mentor.  The person who met with me for my first "session" promised to email me their contact info but never did.  I have two chapters left but don't know if I will bother completing them.  Visually the curriculum is nicely packaged, but you will not gain any true depth of knowledge from it.

• Do it for free
    - 3/1/2015

I finished Thinkful in January. All the content used in the Front-end development course can be found on online for free. In, fact I completed alot of the resources they used before I started Thinkful. You do get a mentor. My mentor didn't show up for scheduled meetings. You are better off using codementor.io to find your own mentor (that meets your requirements) at a reasonable price. It's cheaper than paying $500 a month for free content and mediocre mentors. You will have a portfolio when you finish, but it's not worth paying $1500 for three months.

I'm writing this here to help anyone that might be on the fence about thinkful...
    1) They don't teach, sure you can ask your mentor stuff, but the actual lesson plans, the ones your supposed to spend all day doing... I kid you not they tell you to go to Google, or stackoverflow to find the answers.

2) they raised the price to $500 a class, because they offer "career services". I'm not sure what this means because they don't offer you a job or help you find one.

3) at the end of it all your spending $1500 to Google html, CSS, and javascript. You'll find your self using free resources on the web, thinking to your self. " why the hell am i spending $1500?". ohhhhhhhh cool I made a portfolio....

Perhaps I just had bad luck with really poor mentors, but the three mentors I tried were all very young. With one exception they would communicate very poorly (their English was fine, I just mean they would send out a one line email, misinterpret emails) as a result of which they would miss lessons, and didn't seem to care much.

They tended to repeat the curriculum materials, and take 20 minutes to explain really trivial stuff.

• Daniel Bogart • Graduate

I had a background in sales, with little coding experience, but was eager to make a career shift to software development. I decided on Thinkful over a bootcamp because of the flexibility and cost.

The course provided the fundamentals and best-practices I needed to start with next to no experience. I found that the mentor sessions and office hours alone were worth the investment - having access to expert programmers for several hours a week is totally invaluable. Think about this, a comparable "mentor session" from a service like airpair can cost over $200/hour. To me, this is what made it a no brainer.

Beyond the obvious benefit of having a mentor to help you work through problems, I found that having a mentor session or office hours to attend kept me motivated - I never wanted to show up to a session without progress or questions. After finishing the front-end course, I completed the ruby/rails course, and less than two months after, received three offers (rails dev, front-end dev, angularjs dev). I'm now working as an angularjs developer and loving it.

• Thinkful Review
    - 1/20/2015
    Devon Campbell • Graduate

Several months back, I found myself needing to brush up on my front-end development skills. An in-person boot camp is a scary proposition due both to the cost and sometimes the need to move in order to have access to one. (The tech scene isn’t great here in Knoxville, and, so far as I know, we have no developer bootcamps here.)

Thinkful was an attractive alternative. I’ve taken online courses before, but this really is much more like a bootcamp. In more traditional classes, the curriculum is very rigid and instructor interaction is minimal. In the Thinkful course, I have access to a mentor every week which is really great. I’m also bringing my own projects to the course which greases the wheels of learning. Each lesson, I’m getting closer to reaching a goal that means something to me.

The staff has also been very responsive. I’m able to get in touch with the “powers that be” and make suggestions, and they actually respond. They seem genuinely interested in building the thing their students want.

It’s been a great experience, and I’d highly recommend it.

• Sunil • Air Warfare Specialist • Graduate

Like many people out there, depite competing demands on my time, I had a real urge to increase my understanding of web related technologies and programming in general. While self-taught for the majority of my knowledge in, networking, programming, Linux and basic scripting I discovered self-teaching was taking me a lot longer than I thought. As a military instructor, I came to the realization that I needed some scope and objectives to try and achieve my goals. In the middle of 2013, I started to search for a flexible course I could take to help me get a foothold in the coding field.

There didn't seem to be a lot of institutions out there that provided the mentorship and scoping that would really help me grow as a student and fledgling developer without investing university level fees. Then I stumbled across Thinkful. They offered a great, always evolving syllabus and mentorship. The most attractive feature of the courses they offered was flexibility. From what I read on their website, I could fit their course work around a schedule that could have me working normal office hours one day, then 5 hours later, be searching for vessels in distress in stormy seas in the middle of the pacific ocean.

To be honest it was a no-brainer, I signed up, there wasn't anything really to lose. I never looked back, I have fantastic mentors, who provide honest, critical feedback and have excellent experience. As an instructor, the critical analysis of my code was invaluable to help dme grow as a developer. I also have immense respect for the patience and enthusiasm that Thinkful mentors have. They deal with a multitude of students spread over different time zones, yet always have time for a quick email exchange or chat outside of normal hours. The course flexibility allowed me to work hard when I had the time, and then put in a course pause when my job required that I deploy to a place with minimal connectivity.

I completed the front-end developer course in May 2014 and am currently working through the AngularJS syllabus when and where I am able. I've put the skills I gained in the FEWD course into my job developing applications for my current job, and helped me enhance our own teaching cirriculum.

As a learning institution and flexible educational model, Thinkful is well worth investing time and effort in. The on-going access you gain to an ever evolving detailed cirriculum, fantastic community of mentors, students and developers is outstanding. It also ensures you can go back and review anything, anytime. I highly recommend Thinkful to anyone who is looking at a structured course and highly-motiviational mentors for getting into the programming game.

• Join Thinkful
    - 1/11/2015
    Andrew • Front End Developer

I was teaching myself front end development for a year or so but felt so overwhelmed by the amount of information and resources out there. I was never sure if I was going in the right direction. Thinkful was the best solution I could of hoped for to solve this problem. Their well crafted and up-to-date curriculum tied with passionate mentors created a winning formula. They have mentors that can answer those difficult questions that googling cannot. These answers are delivered in a succinct way based on real world experience and genuine passion for what they do.

After completing the front end web development course at the beginning of 2014 I have since moved from a role that didn’t involve writing code to a full time front end development role. I am now back at thinkful to begin 2015 taking the Backend in Node.js course. I know by the time the three months is up I will be equipped with yet another set of invaluable skills to further my career as a developer.

Without Thinkful there would be no way I would be working as a developer today. I highly recommend Thinkful to anyone looking to switch careers or just to tie up the loose ends you have with any of the subjects they offer. You won’t regret it

• Megan Taylor • UI Developer • Graduate

I took the FEWD course in the Fall of 2013 and I'm so glad I did! The curriculum was comprehensive, the community was super helpful and my mentor gave me all the guidance I needed to complete the curriculum and make my projects the best they could be.

I loved the project-based curriculum because it gave me hands-on experience and practice implementing what I was learning, while helping me build portfolio pieces to apply for a job.

Shortly after completing the course, I got my dream job as a Jr Dev at an awesome company, and I have since been promoted. I give Thinkful a lot of credit for giving me the guidance and self-confidence I needed.

• Edoe Cohen • Student

(I orginally posted this review on Quora)

I took the Thinkful front-end course and am now in the middle of the Angular course. After dabbling in code for a while and learning with other tools, I can definitely say that Thinkful has played a significant role in propelling me further in my programming skills and confidence.

What I love most about Thinkful are the hands-on projects you are tasked with at the end of almost each lesson. These projects are what really help me absorb the curriculum and the new tools and skills I'm learning. I've tried a lot of tutorials and online programming schools before including Codecademy and Code School, which were great. But what I was really missing were opportunities to use what I was learning in a real context. With Thinkful I've built numerous apps and sites and now feel way more confident to build something from scratch.

The mentor aspect of Thinkful also played a huge role in this, since there was someone reviewing my code each week and giving me feedback. My mentor also went out of his way to push me further when he saw that I was quite ahead in the course, by giving me extra curriculum projects to work on.

One could argue that you could find similar projects to work on and just use free tools. Maybe. But for me the bundle of the Thinkful curriculum, plus mentor, plus projects was really a winning formula. Different people learn in different ways. But if you're busy with a day job and family, and are serious about learning, I really would recommend Thinkful. It will save you time and maximize your learning. Good luck!

• Anonymous • AngularJS Developer • Graduate
    When I first began reviewing software dev training options I found two disctinct groups: free online resources, and $10k intensive bootcamps. Thinkful was the only option I found that lands in the middle of these options. I decided on Thinkful over simply using free resources because of two critical factors that are difficult to put a price on: motivation and mentorship. I decided on it over a bootcamp because of it’s flexibility, price, and the thought that I could always enroll in a bootcamp if I got through Thinkful but couldn’t land a job (spoiler: I landed a job almost immediately after finishing Thinkful).

I started with the Front-End course, which provided the fundamentals and best-practices I needed to start with next to no coding experience. I found that the mentor sessions and office hours alone were worth the investment - having access to expert programmers for several hours a week is totally invaluable. Think about this, a comparable "mentor session" from a service like airpair can cost over $200/hour. To me, this is what made it a no brainer - far faster and more effective than posting to SO or IRC.

• Javier Collado • Graduate

(Note: This review was originally published here)

Introduction

This week I’ve completed the FEWD (Front End Web Development) course at Thinkful. It’s been three months of hard work in which I think I’ve made good progress in sharpening my web development skills. In this post, I’m sharing my impressions for those who want to have the opinion of a former student about the course before making the decision to take it.

Who is this course for?

This is a course that can be taken by absolute beginners to learn html, css and javascript from the ground up, but it’s also useful to people who already have some experience, but want to improve in any of the technologies involved.

What does the course include?

The resources available to you as a student are:

• curriculum: the course content itself. It’s made from content already available on the internet for free, but structured to introduce new concepts progressively. It also includes a set of assignments to ensure student comprehension that have to be posted to the community for feedback (see below).

• mentoring sessions: every student has half an hour weekly meetings with a mentor that will provide guidance and specific advice in any area the student is interested in. This is good not only to get personalized information about problems, but also because of the accountability that is generated when you commit to finish some assignment for the following week.

• community: this is where the work on the assignments is posted to gather feedback aside from the one provided by your mentor. If you’re in trouble this is a good place to ask for help because you’ll get faster feedback than if you wait for your mentoring session. Also, if you help other students, it’s a nice mechanism to reinforce your own learning since you’ll need to take a look at the same kind of problem multiple times.

• office hours: these are daily meetings in which you can also ask a mentor face to face about problems you might have and learn from the questions asked by other students. As for now, the time isn’t very convenient unless you’re in the US, but still it’s a good experience to attend them.

What assignments will I work on?

In case you’re curious, the assignments that you’ll need to work on are (including links to my personal work):

• Google clone: reproduce the Google homepage.
    • 37signals clone: reproduce the 37signals homepage.
    • Hot or cold: Number guessing game.
    • Shopping list: Todo list application.
    • Quiz: Quiz application.
    • API hack: An application that takes advantage of public API.
    • Portfolio: Final project to showcase the work done during the course.

What will I learn?

This almost entirely up to you. The more you involve in the community and the more you work in the assignments, the more advanced stuff you’ll get out of the course. Of course, you can get by with just basic html, css and javascript with jquery; but if you’re curious you can much further than that.

In my case, some of the things that I learned are:

• Object oriented javascript
    • MVC frameworks
    • Data binding libraries
    • Template libraries
    • CSS preprocessors
    • Single page applications
    • Responsive design

I’m not an expert in any of the above, but now I’m confident that I can refer to the documentation of any library and/or framework in the future and get up to speed quickly if I need to.

Conclusion

After three months of work, I’ve learned quite a few interesting things and I’ve got a portolio that I can improve in the future. I believe this is a quite good outcome for the time spent.

What makes the course shine, in my opinion, is that it includes weekly meetings with a mentor and access to a community of students that are going through the same problems as you are. This is really powerful to create accountability and get rid of procrastination to make progress in short time.

In case you’re wondering, I feel that I could have learned the same stuff on my own, but I don’t how long would that have taken me. If you’re really good in setting your own goals and keeping the motivation to accomplish them and you’ve got plenty of time to look for good learning resources, then you might not need the course, but I’d still encourage you to think about taking it.

• Review
    - 10/5/2019

The program is light on the ground theory behind most data science algorithms and techniques. Much of the curriculum needs to be substituted with outside material. The outlines as to how the assignments are graded is nonexistent. Also much of the examples are not well chosen. Other than that you do gain a lot of exposure to the data science as a whole so there is breath but not depth to the materials in the program. Hopefully the job placement portion of the program will aid in developing contacts and landing a data science position

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

86% of job obtainers reported salaries.