thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Thinkful

Thinkful, a Chegg service, provides every adult learner with a pathway to a rewarding career. This online bootcamp offers fast-paced, career-focused programs in Software Engineering, Data Science, Data Analytics, UX/UI Design, Digital Marketing, and Technical Project Management. These programs are offered in part-time and full-time formats. Students commit 20-25 hours per week in the part-time format, and up to 60 hours in the full-time option. All programs include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and Q&A sessions with industry professionals.

On top of learning the most up-to-date industry skills, students benefit from 1-on-1 mentorship, and receive career support from the day they enroll. Students continue to get personalized support from a dedicated career coach for six months after graduation, or until they’re hired. Each student graduates with a professional portfolio, interview experience, and the tools they need to navigate the job market. Students join a community of 3,000+ learners and mentors to get on-demand help and build a professional network.

Thinkful also offers an expanding list of flexible payment options. Thinkful students are empowered to balance life and learning, and can complete any of the part-time programs even if they plan to keep working in an existing job. They can access course materials from anywhere in the world.

Prospective students can apply via Thinkful.com, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.55

all (910) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (117) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, Data Visualization, Excel, MySQL, Python, SQL
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

SQL, Python, MySQL, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Algorithms, Data Science, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Python, Spark, SQL
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Data Analytics , Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/digital-marketing/flexible/#pricing
  • Engineering Flex

React.js, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
  • Engineering Immersion

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, React.js
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Technical Project Management Flex

Break into tech as a project manager. Learn how to plan, schedule, and budget in a business setting while developing the leadership skills for long-term career growth. A flexible format that works around your schedule, with industry mentors and career support until you’re hired.
  • UX/UI Flex

Design, Front End, User Experience Design, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
  • UX/UI Immersion

User Experience Design, jQuery, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, Design, CSS
    Learn career-ready skills in research, web design, and teamwork on your path to a high-paying role in UX/UI. One-on-one mentorship, interview prep and community support take you from newbie to hired and beyond.
  • Brendon  User Photo
    Brendon • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall, I feel I learned a lot from Thinkful's intense program.  I really feel the curriculum was well thought out and the Teaching Assistant's were top notch!!  2 out of 3 of my instructors were well knowledgeable and went above and beyond to help us understand.
    Some issues I did however struggle with was the availability of the assistance given.  A normal schedule consisted of 1.5-2 hrs of lecture by the instructor (which if you were struggling on previous material from even a day beforehand, basically made you feel like you were unable to follow along with the lectures) The rest of the scheduled day time was open to work with groups and teach ourselves most of the material.  However, we were able to call in a TA to assist if we were particularly stuck.  The TA's were my favorite part of the program!!!  Learned a lot with them and they were very patient and understanding.  I was sad however that they are not available at all any other times other than weekdays between 10am-5pm.  Most of my personal studies were in the evenings when I didn't understand a lot of concepts and really wanted to talk to someone for help.  They provided IM services called ThinkChat...but that was SUCH A WASTE OF RESOURCES AND TIME!!!!   No screen sharing or actual interaction other than typing.  Understanding concepts takes a lot more than typing out something for 30 minutes that could have taken 30 seconds to ask and get a reply if we could have done a video conference.
    The speed as well of what we went at was RIDICULOUS.  I understand the program being intense.....but it was strange that we were given 2 weeks off randomly throughout the program....but I feel I could have benefitted a lot more if we instead just had ONE day a week off as our CATCH UP DAY.  Still have access to TA's and whatnot, but at least give us some time to digest.
    I also had a hard time with our Mock Interviews.  There were 4 main Mock interviews throughout the program that STRESSED EVERYONE TO THE POINT OF BREAKING.  If you do not pass the mock interviews within 2 tries (which were a coding challenge you are given on the spot with no preparation beforehand)  you were automatically kicked out of the program.  It made you extremely paranoid and stressed out to the point of a mental breakdown.  That shouldn't be the point of the program.
    I came in knowing nothing of IT software engineering....and there were a handful that came in with backgrounds already.  Those that had some backgrounds are the ones that did well.  Still was a struggle, but at least they could follow along with the logic and had a better experience overall.  There were definitely times where I relied HEAVILY on the other students in my groups to either just give me the code, or beg them to help me understand it.  So the students were teaching me.  It was semi embarrassing to always be reliant on them....but maybe that was the point?   I would have preferred to go to a TA in those times.

I admit that my review is more negative sounding than what I wish.  There were definite struggles and issues I had throughout....but OVERALL, I really still enjoyed all I have learned.  I now have graduated as of 2 weeks ago and I am now in job finding mode.  I am actually reviewing EVERY SINGLE MODULE we did and basically doing the whole program again just to solidify my knowledge and build up more confidence, but I feel I did learn the skills necessary to provide me a good job in the coming months.  My careers coach is also excellent and working to get me in the range of $65k-$85k before he is satisfied.  That sounds good to me!!!  Keeping my fingers crossed!!!  HARD PROGRAM AND EMOTIONALLY AND MENTALLY DRAINING FOR SURE!!!!  But that is also the point.
  • Michael Levy  User Photo
    Michael Levy • Junior Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had an excellent experience with Thinkful from day 1. My Academic Success Specialist Sue was highly responsive and always offering encouragement and tips for success. The mentor that I was originally paired with wasn't a great fit for me so after a couple of weeks I reached out to Sue and she found me an incredible mentor for the remainder for my program. My mentor was always available for a quick question via e-mail and was extremely helpful in cleaning up my presentation skills. I had a job interview near the end of my program that included a take-home data analysis project. My mentor offered to talk through the project with me and gave me advice on how to get started. I landed that job and started in July while finishing up my Thinkful coursework. Don't be afraid to start looking for work before you complete the program. At the start of my program the only experience that I had was some free online courses/youtube videos. I am confident that the knowledge that I gained in 5 months of the program was essential to my landing this job.
  • Data Analyst
    - 8/28/2021
    Rebecca  User Photo
    Rebecca • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I enjoyed the curriculum and the assistance on all topic matters and practice were well coordinated. I learned effectively and easily.  I was expecting more organized interviews/internship opportunities but the career coaching was very well supported throughout. Your career coach will support you and the difficulties it involves in your job search.
  • Taylor  User Photo
    Taylor • Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub
    My experience at Thinkful was life changing.  I found Thinkful at the start of the pandemic when I desperately wanted to switch careers, but didn’t quite know what I wanted to do.  I have no prior coding or computer science experience - so if you don’t either, you don’t need it.  You will learn everything you need to get started in this new field!

I participated in the Software Engineering Flex Program.  The flex program allowed me to create my own schedule and work part-time.  Keep in mind, I still spent most days from morning to night coding - whether that was on course work or my own personal extra study time.  I would encourage you to take the time outside of dedicated Thinkful hours to study on your own.  I found supplementing with outside resources was key to my success.

They prepare you for the real-world of development right away - your “finals” are live coding interviews which is exactly how it is when you start applying and interviewing for jobs.  This alone was instrumental in preparing me for that process!

They provide you with a mentor and have a live chat feature where you can receive help in realtime when you are stuck on a problem.  I learned more than I ever thought possible.  It was one of the most challenging AND most rewarding experiences of my life.  It has put me in an amazing position for my new career.

Everyone I interacted with was incredibly supportive and encouraging.  Remember to trust the process and take it one day at a time.  This program is NOT easy.  You will want to quit.  At times, you’ll feel like you can’t do it.  You’ll doubt yourself.  But I promise you, when you choose to persevere and dedicate yourself to the hard work, it was 100% worth it!!
  • Changed My Life
    - 8/24/2021
    Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Integration Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Thinkful changed my life. I was working as a massage therapist when I had lost my dad in early 2019. In the city I was living in, there weren’t any in person boot camps so I had to turn my attention to finding a remote one. I had looked at other boot camps but due to their pacing and how many tech stacks they have you learn, I felt overwhelmed. Input Thinkful, which had the very opposite.

Thinkful's smaller tech stack (Node.js, Javascript, Express, React, PostgreSQL) and longer program length (6 Months) meant that I would learn the information but really take the time to learn the fundamentals. Meeting with a Senior Developer (they refer to them as Mentors), was an awesome experience in of itself. Not only can they help you with the current assignments, they can help with learning, building your full stack apps and more. The program manager was awesome as well with their check ins from time to time. But one of the biggest things was the mock interviews. I have bad interview anxiety but the people who ran the mock ones did a very good job at making you feel comfortable and confident.  The curriculum is pretty up to date.  It can be a bit dry to read (theres a lot of reading) but there was some videos/screenshots showing you what they were talking about.  The only thing I would change is swapping out PostgreSQL for MongoDB as MongoDB is a lot easier to work with than PostgreSQL.  You'll learn Javascript and then proceed to learning stuff on the front end before moving to the backend.

Overall, I would do it all over again. It’s a great program, great community of people as well.
  • Devin   User Photo
    Devin • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    My thinkful program left me very well prepared for finding a job in data. I found that the Data Science Flex program complimented my Biology degree with highly relevant skills in python, data and machine learning. This program pairs you with a mentor to meet with every week, ensuring you can get the support you need to understand challenging topics. After completing the coursework, the careers section is thorough and educates you as to the best way to job hunt and interview. I highly reccomend this program.
  • Christopher Richardson  User Photo
    Christopher Richardson • Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My time at Thinkful was an amazing experience. The Data Science flex program allowed me to learn during my off time from my daily job.  The thing that I enjoyed the most about the program was learning from an industry expert as my mentor.  My mentor helped me get through the items/sections of the program which I had trouble with while ensuring that I understood all other concepts, allowing me to slowly build confidence.  My mentor always looked out for my best interests, always tried his best to understand why am I getting stuck on a topic, and explain or point me towards resources to allow me to learn on my own.
    After my completion of the Bootcamp, I was paired with an experienced career coach who has helped me polish items such as my resume, elevator pitch, and LinkedIn to name a few.  I highly recommend ThinkFul for those looking for a career transition and/or prep for a graduate school program relating to data science or any type of research degree.

• Darcey  User Photo
    Darcey • Software Application Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     i was very excited to see that I could enter a fast-paced program while receiving a stipend so I could focus my time on studying instead of juggling homework and working to cover my bills. The program and instructors were very helpful however sometimes our lectures did seem a bit rushed. I felt like having advisors and mentors available to me helped to pick up that slack. I think the timelines for projects was helpful as well as getting us ready to perform daily standups on our individual progress. When I neared the end of my program, I naturally had imposters syndrome even though I had learned a lot in the program. They offer support for career placement for six months after your graduation and while my career coach was amazing, I still was worried I wouldn't find a company to accept me as a developer. I accepted a position in early August after graduating late March. Even if it took me over six months to get a job, I still would have not had to pay back my tuition which I think is an important promise they make to students so they aren't stuck paying for something that wasn't helpful to their careers. I was furloughed from a hospitality job (no developer/technology experience before) in April 2020 and have not worked since, I was sure that working in such a different field combined with such a large gap in my resume would surely make it hard to be hired. While it took some time, I'm very happy I was able to find a position within six months of graduation.
  • Lisa  User Photo
    Lisa • Project Manager, Software Development and Business Transformation • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall Verdict

1.     They are good at what they do and worth the money to invest in your future. Thinkful has a rigorous and strict policy for students to comply to in order to be successful. They are selling you a product and guarantee its success, IF AND ONLY IF, you follow their plan that they outlined and are backing their word up by offering full tuition refund if THEIR plan fails.

2.     They give you the tools and the support to help you succeed and graduate the program because care about your success. All their staff (mentors, academic success manager, TAs, graders) are people with impeccable years of experience within the industry and are available for you to gain some industry knowledge/advice through their experiences.

3.     Their success is dependent on your success because it affects their retention rate, success rate, and alumni network. People are more willing to purchase things based on brands that have a positive reputation. So, they want and will do whatever it takes for their students to succeed. This also means students need to come in with an open mind, motivation to learn, and drive to push through this rigorous program.

Thinkful and My success

I was offered a project manager position in the software development team 2 weeks before graduation. The careers coach helped me prepare for my interviews by providing me possible industry-based interview questions. My mentor gave me confidence by reassuring and motivating me. My instructor answered any questions I had throughout the program and provided insightful advice driven from experience. Alumni’s were active on recruiting Thinkful’s students for their company’s job openings. All resources to succeed were made available and I made sure I got my money’s worth.

What led me to Thinkful’s Technical Project Management Program

After months of submitting at least 5 applications a day (35 per week), attending about 4 interviews a week, and receiving rejection emails due to my lack of experience in the technology industry (FYI, I have prior experience as a project manager and attempting an industry switch), I decided to enroll in the Technical Project Management program at Thinkful. I chose the immersive plan because I had the time and motivation to dedicate more than what is expected of me to complete the program.

My experience with the Technical Project Management Program

Thinkful gave me the project management knowledge and the experience to apply it to real-world projects that can be found at any organization in any industry. Company structures are all different from each other, so being familiar with all and selecting the appropriate ones that align with a specific company’s value only prepares you for success.

Thinkful gave me the strategies to become a successful leader which is the main aspect to leading teams on a project AND MOST IMPORTANTLY provided the opportunity for me to refine my skills while putting it into practice (This wasn’t written out or openly expressed, but I think it was a something that required students to “read between the line” or “find value in the things you do/learn by relating it to real-world work” to be successful in their career, which also further develops critical thinking skills).

Thinkful gave me the tools to understand the required processes and workflow involved in technical work by allowing the students to get hands-on experience with coding and various applications. Allowing the ability to understand the terminologies commonly used and to communicate more effectively between cross-functional teams.
  • Shontelle  User Photo
    Shontelle • Data Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My time at Thinkful was a great experience. Transitioning my career during the pandemic was tough, but the resources that was provided to me through Thinkful helped tremendously. I participated in the Immersion program which was the full-time course, and although it was fast paced, the instructors as well as my mentor were available to me any time I needed help understanding the Data Science concepts. Throughout the course Thinkful has you learning the concepts by completing and presenting hands-on assignments and projects as well as mock-interviews to help you prepare for your job search. In addition, the graders were great as they gave feedback on what could be improved and what you did well. After the completion of the program, my career coach was with me 100% of the way in my job search. She helped in presenting my best self on paper, sending me job descriptions, and setting up a schedule so I could complete tasks throughout the week. Overall I am grateful for the experience at Thinkful as the skills and connections I made will continue to help me grow in this industry.
  • Mariana  User Photo
    Mariana • Front End Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This flexible program allowed me to learn software engineering concepts at my own pace as I balanced a full time job and other responsibilities. It helped me gain the knowledge and confidence to change careers into software development. I really enjoyed the mentorship aspect and learned even more during those sessions. I am very pleased with the investment I made in choosing this bootcamp.
  • Mary  User Photo
    Mary • Product Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     Thinkful changed my life. A month and 3 days after graduating, I accepted a job offer for $70k

Awesome. Now, here's what I would say to anyone thinking about signing up:
    • Do your research before you enroll. Spend all of your free time reading about job prospects, getting familiar with software, and understanding the scope of user experience design. Why? You will probably either fall in love with it or get nervous about how tedious the process really is. If the whole design thinking process sounds dull, don't waste your time.
    • Get familiar with the pricing structure and policies. Thinkful does not screw around with absences, late policy and grades. You need to have those rules memorized (or stuck to the wall on a sticky note like me!) so you're not surprised if you accidentally violate one. You might be surprised by the ones that aren't enforced though! Certain things, like signing out at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure nobody checks. Word to the wise? Expect to be treated like an employee at a fairly disorganized company and you'll be fine. Just keep your head up!
    • Going to say this for the overachievers in the front: don't do all the checkpoints. Some weeks, you'll have ten checkpoints and a huge graded assignment due at the end. Prioritize the graded work. Spend most of your time making it perfect. Use the TAs, DM your mentor, write about every detail in your decision-making process. The checkpoints are really there to make sure you have enough to do, and I know plenty students that would get overwhelmed and frustrated with all the work being thrown at them.
    • If you don't network early, it's going to be hard later. I say this because the hardest part about this program is the intense job search after graduation. I made my own schedule - a mix of applying for about 10 jobs a day for the first couple days of the week, then networking the other days, answering phone interviews, writing sharp cover letters, etc. You will need to practice early to get comfortable with the process. It also helps for morale to have already done some of the leg work when you are ready to start applying.
    • The program is hard and there is a high turnover rate for the UX program. In my opinion, for the sake of the students who realize they're not going to be a great fit in the program, Thinkful should have a more strict admissions policy. I'm only saying this because by the halfway point, almost half of my cohort had dropped out - and that's a lot of wasted time for students who spent six weeks full time at Thinkful, many of whom feeling mislead by the school's marketing. So. Get to know yourself and be prepared to spend time doing self care, reflecting on your goals and making friends in the program.
    • If you're not sure if flex or immersion is right for you, I'd say this. How aggressively do you need a job? How confident are you that you can stay motivated and on-track if you're doing this alone? I did immersion, opted for the living stipend + the ISA, and I have ZERO regrets.

Now for some positive stuff!
    • I actually made some really great friends during this program and spending time with them outside of instruction was one of my favorite things about this experience!
    • The TAs are awesome. The assessors - awesome. The instructors - incredible. Getting eyes and ears on my work is really what helped me succeed in this program. (PS, I didn't expect this, but these people are qualified af. I don't want to call people out, but there were folks who had just come from household name tech companies, or transitioning into them. I got the impression that being a mentor to new designers is sorta like a rite of passage for senior designers looking to up their game, rather than just a fallback like other professions)
    • I gushed about the work I was doing. I couldn't shut up about it to my friends. They all noticed a change in how I carry myself, and how I talk about my skills. I remember having a conversation with my therapist about this unfamiliar emotion I began to recognize as "confidence."
    • Every day, starting at about the halfway point through the program, I would wake up into this surreal, seismic, shifting paradigm that is the outlook for the rest of my career. Before this program, my job options were bleak and I was prepared to be a ~bartender on the side~ pretty much forever. I am still processing that I've just given myself the gift of job security for the rest of my life.
    • The projects are fun. Working independently is fun. Designing and researching and testing all day is super fun. I had more fun learning in the last five months than I did in five years of college.
    • The careers team is so so so  soooooooo good. I didn't expect them to be so supportive and so ridiculously competent. I wouldn't have come very far in my job search without them. So, a word of advice? Use the resources available to you!!! Take their advice! Redo your resume as many times as they ask you to! Don't quit improving your application materials and strategy until you sign a job offer! Every question you have is worth asking!! Be nice to your career advisor! I'm not really supposed to do this but...shout out to Brenda and Melissa for being my lifeline.

You've read this far so you're probably pretty serious. A few more notes then I'll be done. After a month from graduating, I think I'm maybe the second or third person in my cohort to get an offer, and that's with treating the job search like a full time job. I could do this because I was receiving unemployment insurance. If you don't have a plan for how you're going to live for the last couple of months, you might have a hard time finding a job. I also have a college degree which helped a lot. Plus, I've had internships from my time in college (I was a music business major) and some odd experience working around the arts. If you think you can dive in and fall in love with UX and leverage your life experience to craft a compelling narrative, you will find a job.

Good luck and happy searching! I hope this helped!

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here