thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, design, and product management. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (535) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (80) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, Data Visualization, SQL, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    LocationOnline, Detroit, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/flexible/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    Start Date November 18, 2019
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-science/full-time/#pricing
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced degree
    November 18, 2019 - Online Apply by October 23, 2019
    January 2, 2020 - Online Apply by December 11, 2019
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/pricing/#financing
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date December 2, 2019
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
    December 2, 2019 - Online Apply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - Online Apply by November 18, 2019
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Start Date December 2, 2019
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/web-development/nights-weekends/#pricing
    December 2, 2019 - Online Apply by October 14, 2019
    January 6, 2020 - Online Apply by November 18, 2019
  • Product Design Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/product-design/flexible/#pricing
  • Product Management Flex

This flexible, online Product Management course is built to help you start a brand new, high-paying tech career. You’ll receive a personal mentor, work on real-world projects, and benefit from career coaches.

• Annah  User Photo
    Annah • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Overall, I had a pretty good experience at Thinkful. Thankfully I spent about 6 months learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript before starting, so I was able to get through the fundamentals section really fast which helped me to graduate on time. I know quite a few people who weren't able to graduate on time, which really doesn't surprise me since you do have to devote a LOT of time to studying and working on projects.

The curriculum was good but really only covers the basics, and it's all readings (no videos or anything). For example, they gave you kind of a short tutorial on React, which definitely was not enough, so in addition to that I also had to read all of the React documentation, do a Codecademy React course, and watch some youtube tutorials. But they give you enough to get started.

I also found the Node section to be extremely lacking, and I know a bunch of other people who feel the same about that.

Also, I had four different mentors. My first mentor was very good, but unfortunately they only assigned him to me for the fundamentals section. I then got assigned another mentor who was terrible and didn't even know Node or React, so I switched. I then got assigned another mentor who was great, but had a VERY strong accent and it was very difficult to understand him, so I switched again. Then my last mentor was ok.

But my husband, who is a full-stack developer, is the one who would help me the most. Sometimes my mentors would spend our entire session trying to help me figure out one of my problems, and they wouldn't be able to solve it, so I would have to ask my husband who would literally solve the problem is under 5 minutes. Sometimes even like 30 seconds. It was crazy.

The Q&A sessions are also not very helpful, and I only went to a few of them. A few times they were able to help me, but mostly they weren't much of a help. Unfortunately there can sometimes be like 6 other people in the Q&A so they have to be fast with helping you. There are definitely some good Q&A mentors though, like Luis and TJ. They're really good!

But overall, I definitely learned a lot. I still don't really feel like I'm that great of a developer, but I know that takes time, and I'm going to have to keep learning and doing projects on my own. I just graduated though and am hoping to find a job soon!

• Jesse • Process Engineer • Graduate

After getting a good grasp of the Python programming language, I don't know where I could start learning about the Data Science due to its broadly immense field of study. Not until I found Thinkful. I enrolled in Data Science in Python, because I thought it would introduce me to this field and have a better idea on the scope and analytics commonly used.

I got more than what I bargained for as the curricula goes through teaching data import and extraction from numerous sources, and once that is done, delves right into the many, many analytical methods which honestly took a bulk of my time to learn and understand. I did wish I get to learn more. My mentor, Rowan Copley, is a quirky yet awesome individual that is always available for help both during and not during mentoring sessions. He also provides great books to read or up-to-date news on this field to keep me motivated throughout the course.

However, in the end, I get to build up a great looking repository of my journey. So thanks Thinkful!

• Victor Ahluwalia • Student

I'm about a month through the web development career path and I could not be any more satisfied with my experience. My mentor, Alex Cumbo, is a great teacher and has guided me through the material by breaking down concepts at a very detailed level and by keeping me interested in learning more. I really like the way the curriculum is structured as it introduces a certain topic and then provides an opportunity to complete fun excerices that help reinforce the concepts.

I am excited to progress further into the course and will provide an update once I complete the curriculum.

• Great experience
    - 4/9/2016
    Ian Mrak • Student

As a self taught programmer, Thinkful provided invaluable experience with day-to-day commincation and problem solving with another engineer. They help familiarize me with a professional working environment as well as providing a solid set of coursework for intermediate JavaScript.

• AngularJS Course
    - 4/8/2016
    Bill H • Software Engineer • Student

I took the Front End Web Development course about a year ago and decided to sign up for the the Angular course in February. The FEWD course about a year ago wasn't perfect, but I got through it and learned a lot. I learned enough to coast through the front end part of my brick and mortar Java boot camp. That's why I decided to go with Thinkful again and take the Angular course.

I'm about half way through it and I'm much happier with the quality of the content. It's written much more clearly and understandably these days. The projects that we do are great because we build on the same few projects the whole class. And, of course, the mentorship is what makes it great. My mentor has helped me get unstuck many times. It helps keep me motivated. Were I learning by myself, I'm afraid that getting stuck without help might decrease my motivation. That's why the mentorship at Thinkful is worth so much.

I was happy with the FEWD class and I'm happy with this one, too. I'll probably end up taking more as well. It's a worthwhile investment.

I've had a great experience using the Thinkful Web Development Career Path.  You must be disciplined enough to spend time working through challenges on your own, but the great thing about the program is access to the wealth of knowledge through your mentor and Slack community.  Thinkful provides fun challenges to work through each new concept.  Combining that with access to people with real world experience really makes the learning process flow wonderfully.

I'm looking forward to continuing towards my career goals with the Thinkful team.

• Amit • Student

I've had an extremely positive experience taking the Web Development Career Path course through Thinkful. I had taken all the self-paced online courses in HTML, CSS, and JS via Codecademy and was ready to take what I learned to the next level. They definitely helped me do that.

Thinkful does a great job of teaching you about a subject, and having you apply it to an actual project. All the little exercises that courses like Codecademy give are helpful for understanding syntax and the general language; it is, in my experience, very difficult to take a basic understanding of a language and build something with it. They also helped me do that.

Thinkful did a great job introducing me to several technologies and libraries that are critical to becoming a competitive job candidate in today's developer job market (Webpack, React, Node, Redux, etc.).

Thinkful's cream of the crop is its mentor sessions. I was matched with an experienced developer who understands the ins and outs of what one needs to know to become a professional developer. He's done a really good job of teaching me the latest and greatest technologies (listed above), which I can easily take with me to a proffesional setting. He's also been available to me as a resource throughout the week if I ever get stuck on a bug or confused on a subject matter. It's kind of like having your own personal tutor who's always available to help you out. It's pretty great.

The other cool part of Thinkful is it's Slack group and daily office hours sessions. If for whatever reason your mentor isn't available, Thinkful has a giant group chat of fellow students and mentors that are more than happy to help you out if you get stuck on something.

Overall, I pretty much avoided paying $19k for a full-time bootcamp, worked part-time while I studied, and gained all the necessary skills I needed to get a job as a developer. It's a pretty sweet deal.

• Ruby on Rails
    - 4/7/2016
    Jason Terlizzi • Graduate

The best thing about Thinkful are the mentors and access to a large number of engineers via Slack. I took the Full-Stack Rails class, and it was incredable. You'll have to be disciplined as the first 2 sections show basic techniques for development. Most of your time will be spent understanding how things work and applying concepts to your own projects. This is where mentors help out a great deal. The last section of the Rails course was a bit more difficult, there were several typos which led me to believe it hasn't been reviewed recently. This is the only flaw I found with the course, I spent several hours going down a rabbit hole with typos and wrong concepts that weren't edited correctly. In the end, after 3 months of instense study, I'm now doing small Rails projects as side work. It also helped me with becoming a better problem solver and using programming as a skill-set.

• Andrew • Graduate

This review is for the course "Programming in Python" (part-time; 3 months; $500 a month). It took me 2 months to complete the standard course material and a month to finish my capstone project.

I have previous programming experience in Java, JavaScript, and C. At the time of enrollment in this course, I was already working at a tech company as a technical account manager, coding in JavaScript on a daily basis. No prior Python experience, though!

There are dozens of free online Python courses (some better than Thinkful's), but that's not what you're paying for when you sign up for one of Thinkful's courses. What you're paying for is direct access to a community of developers who have years of experience working in their industry. My mentor, Tudor, was an invaluable asset, steering me in the right direction and saving me countless hours of what surely would have been fruitless internet searching. Tudor always knew multiple different tools, libraries, and methods I could explore to accomplish my tasks.

All of this isn't to say that the course curriculum isn't valuable. It certainly is. The material focuses on breadth rather than depth, though, meaning that you'll touch upon every aspect of developing and deploying a web app that a fullstack developer might. There's the bread and butter Python, but that leads into some HTML, CSS, and JavaScript; configuring and using databases; web frameworks like Flask and Django (for the adventurous); unit and component testing; Heroku deployment; continuous integration; and more. My only disappointment was that there weren't more lessons on the Python language itself, so I ended up purchasing a dedicated Python book to supplement the course which I found extremely useful.

With this course and my mentor Tudor's help, I was able to create a web app that I will use as part of my portfolio when applying for a developer position. More immediately, however, I have been able to apply the Python skills I learned to build numerous tools for my coworkers at my current job to help them automate their more tedious tasks.

Ultimately, this course was valuable to me for two reasons: 1) because I already had experience in a few programming languages, but didn't understand how the development cycle of modern web apps all fit together; and 2) because having a mentor was motivating and a much better use of my time than scrounging the internet for answers.

I hope this review helps you find the right course for your needs! Good luck!

Disclaimer: Thinkful offered me a t-shirt for this review. But, if it makes you feel any better I have other t-shirts so it's not like I had to write this review.

• Anthony Espino

My experience at thinkful has too be honestly one of the best decision I have made for myself. So far i been enjoying the lessons. But the real reason I believe that makes Thinkful is their mentors, My mentor is willing to take the time to help me with any problems i might have and very encouraging

• M Williams
    M Williams • Student

The curriculum is great but to me the mentor session time is what really stands out about the program.

I came to the right place.

• Mentorship Rules
    Colette Kenney • Project Controls Manager • Student

I'm a Mechanical Engineer with a Masters in Psychology who currently earns a living as a Project Controls Manger in Oil and Gas. Due to a volitile energy market, and an overwhelming desire to work remotely from anywhere in the world; I decided it was time to become a FULL-STACK WEB DEVELOPER.

I needed to find a school who would teach me what I needed to know in the shortest amount of time possible. So I did a Google search (I think my search terms were something like "Best Online Schools Full Stack Web Developer") and up came Thinkful. Their website suggested that they could teach you to be a Full-Stack developer in 4-6 months, so the timeframe was just right. And then, when I saw that Thinkful offered mentorship I 100% knew I'd be signing up. What better way to get through a program quickly than to have 3 one-hour mentorship sessions per week!

The curriculum at Thinkful is challenging, there is no doubt. The learning curve is steep! But they teach you everything you need to know, using the tools of the trade that you will be using when you get your first job, and the mentorship they provide ensures that you stick with it, even when the going gets tough.

Learning to code isn't easy. If it was, everyone would be doing it. I am grateful to have found Thinkful because if I was trying to learn to code on my own, I'm sure I would have quit more than a few times already!

• No regrets
    Adeola • Graduate

I enrolled into the Thinkful python programming course after two failed attempts to learn python via Coursera. The main thing that reinforced my decision to enroll in this course was the mentor arrangment which I felt would accelerate my learning since I would have someone I could talk to.

I have enjoyed working with my mentor(Hoa Tran). His approach to working with me is not one where he just solves my coding problems by  typing out the solution. Instead it is one of "forced learning" where he asks me to think and try to solve the problem by myself. Most times this is very frustrating but it has helped improve my problem solving skills when it comes to finding out errors in my code. Another avenue that I have really enjoyed is the Thinkful slack community because there is always someone to help, with whatever issue you are confused about. Sometimes as coding newbies one is ashamed to ask questions because you are worried you might be ridiculed, but I have never experienced that in the t´Thinkful slack community.  Rosuav a thinkful mentor has been especially helpful.

The course content is very thorough and you get to learn a lot of things and type out really great code. There are however some areas which I think need to be improved. For instance there are no python workshops available on the website. Some of the topics covered in the python course are really complex and require more than just written text for a newbie to understand. I also wish there were more python Q&A sessions. This used to be the case when I first started the course but in the last few weeks, this has changed.

Overall I have had to make some sacrifices financially to take this course but I have no regrets. It has been a worthwhile experience.

• No regrets
    Adeola • Graduate

At first, I was hestitant to go forward with an online bootcamp, but now that it has been a month, I am definitely pleased with my choice.  Yes, there are free materials online and books you can buy, but sometimes books/tutorials are too theory heavy, lack projects, too dry, or erroneous.  Sometimes you also need an experienced guide to help you separate the wheat from the chaff, when it comes to learning new materials.

In my opinion, the best way to learn a language is to use it and develop meaningful projects.  This course does just that.  There is ample room for creativity for the projects and you'll get a good base of the fundamentals from which you can self-teach.

Mentorship is excellent because you learn by asking the right questions and getting feedback.  Sometimes you get stuck and need to dig your way out, but in the beginning stages, you crawl before you can walk.

I would definitely recommend Thinkful to anyone interested in learning in a structured environment using a pragmatic approach.

• Uday • Student
    I have been really impressed by Thinkful. The team are not only friendly, but also extremely efficient. I signed up for the introduction to pyhton course, and have found the course material and assigned mentor to be first rate.
  • Urvashi Atodaria • Student

Thinkful has been one of the best decisions I made. I am actually enrolled into a software development bootcamp for April and I would have been very nervous and skeptical about it had it not been for Thinkful. After my 3-month course at Thinkful, I am confident I want to work in this field and am excited for the new challenges. The coursework has been very well written and the challenges are quite good. I would also like to make a special mention of my mentor Ms. Alissa Pierce. She has been the best mentor I could have asked for. She is always supportive and patient, answers all my stupid questions and has been incredibly easy to work with. She has helped me grow and trust my skills. I have learned so much from her these past 3 months and will always carry her suggestions and advises with me. Just a big thank you to Alissa for being as awesome as she is.

• B. Kwong

It's been about a month since I started this program with Thinkful and it's been nothing but great experiences.  I wanted to learn how to code because I felt stagnant at work and I wanted to make a change in my career direction.   The material has been great, easy to understand, but at the same time challenging enough (they try to not give you the answers straight away).  I've had a good amount of instructors, career coaches, mentors, etc. reach out to me to check on my progress in addition to the online community of students across various stages that are quite helpful as well.

Quite looking forward to the rest of the material as well.  Even though they've got curriculum set up when you enroll, it seems like they're willing to let you pick and choose what you believe is more relevant.  For example, I'm looking at CSS preprocessors and the course is recommending Less.   But my mentor and I discovered that Bootstrap 4 will be providing more support for Sass instead and so we're thinking about exploring Compass/Sass as an alternative.

Another great thing is that the community seems more than willing to share code and projects for inspiration.  I can't speak too much about job assistance yet, because at this time of writing, I haven't gone through mock interviews or anything of the sort (still just 1 month in!).  Having said that, my career coach has already reached out to me to recommend steps I should be taking to make myself visible, etc.

• Virgin Developer
    - 3/11/2016

Upon my joining the Thinkful community I had no expectations and was really nervous to join a group of individuals who have so much knowledge of development, coding and building.  It can very intimidating to learn something you have little or no knowledge of and expect to be successful in accomplishing the course. When something is new you have to embrace it and the Thinkful mentors and resources will make sure they help you get there. I'm having a wonderful and exciting learning experience with Thinkful.

• Teresa • Student

I was completely new to coding when I started this course about five weeks ago. Within that short time, Many Thinkful staff members in various roles (about 9) have reached out.  Each and every person was friendly, inviting, encouraging ahd helpful.  I sometimes have trouble comprehending the written course material and often become only more confused by what I find when I google. However, the 3x/wk meetings with my mentor, Marius, have been invaluable in helping me past what sometimes seem like insurmountable hurdles.  I like that things are moving along at a realtively rapid pace and am looking forward to my first  "mock interview" which is tomorrow.  I have no doubt that the job assistance and coaching will be just as valuable as the course itself.

• Ferdinand • Student

I strongly feel your courses including its structure works and so glad I found this site. In addition, your staff contains real people whom I could talk to and understand people (case in point--I had the need to study front-end with Javascript and I was given free access to that course and my mentor drilled me for my job interview and that worked! I got the job as a Sr. Web Developer close to home). I knew I could do the job--it's just that lots of gray areas in my full stack skills and that's where you guys came in--fill those gray areas and expand my knowledge more in the same way I teach myself and that is to actual projects.

• Ben Baik • Student

I am almost 6 weeks into the course. So far I am very pleased. This program sets you up with great resources. I meet with a mentor 3x a week for an hour. I attend a lot of the workshops to get my questions answered. The Slack community is also a great way to get help. The curriculum can be lacking at times but mentor sessions can make up for that. Also this style of learning teached you to research on your own. I'm finding that being a good Googler is an important part of web development. It also teaches you to communicate what you are struggling with to mentors.

I have had no problems with any of the mentors. I also have been hellped by students that are further in the program. Overall a great experience. Do not regret enrolling.

• Front End course
    - 3/10/2016

The course work is easy to follow and understand. The thing I like the most is having a mentor who is currently working in the industry. I can email him questions and he replies really quickly and also he explains the course material well during our sessions.

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

86% of job obtainers reported salaries.