thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online school that equips students for new careers by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, design, and product management. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech (and even offer a tuition refund guarantee). While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s flagship programs are the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, and Data Analytics Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and daily mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can set their schedules, learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (544) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (82) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Python, Data Visualization, SQL, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence
    LocationOnline, Detroit, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Python, SQL, Hadoop, Machine Learning, Spark, Algorithms
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced degree
  • Engineering Flex

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A flexible program built to get you a career in full-stack web development. Study online at a pace that works for you, while a team of mentors, career coaches, and peers guides you every step of the way.

• Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Engineering Nights & Weekends

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    An online program that will turn you into a full-stack web developer after hours. Work up from the fundamentals, write strong code, and build the perfect job-ready portfolio.

• Product Management Flex

This flexible, online Product Management course is built to help you start a brand new, high-paying tech career. You’ll receive a personal mentor, work on real-world projects, and benefit from career coaches.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.

• Dinara • Frontend Developer • Student

I completed two Thinkful courses: frontend and web design. Frontend one year ago and web design this week.

First of all I want to say a huge thank you to my teacher - Alissa Pierce. She motivated and inspired me every session.

I'm a lucky person, because I have a profession I love - already a year I'm frontend developer. But I started as a Thinkful student, that was my first and probably the most important step. I like Thinkful for two things: ability to study what you really want to study online and not very expensive and for huge support during all the studing. Then you are in the beginning of your career it's really hard to believe in yourself, to believe that one day you'll become a good specialist. And my opinion that mentors in Thinkful are doing a great job to make you self assure, to make you believe that you can do it!

I don't know where I will be in web design in one year, but I know that if you want something really hard you'll get it: not at one moment, but step by step. Thinkful already helped me in many steps and I'm not going to stop.

• Ux design
    - 4/16/2016

this course teaches the basics and implementation of user experience design

• Krystyna • Customer Support • Graduate

I took a few classes in college and found my passion, however after graduation life moved fast and 2 years passed. I knew I wanted a career in web development but didn't know where to start and I didn't have the confidence to consider myself a "professional coder". I tried a few free teaching apps and programs (like many others) but couldn't seem to get focused or motivated. I felt like they were great for practice and review but very diffucult to teach yourself with.

That's when I came across Thinkful. Thinkful gave me the opportunity to go back to school on my own schedule and my own time without having to worry about semesters and application deadlines. But that was only the first perk! They hold you accountable, so it keeps you on track and motivated. They provide mock interviews (my weakness) which is another huge perk for me. And my mentor is not the only one keeping tabs on how I am doing in the program. So even though it's an online course, it certainly doesn't feel like it. I've taken online courses previously, and never did well in them. If that is your concern, as it was mine, don't let it be. The webinars and livechats with your mentor 2-3x per week makes you feel accountable and it's like you're actually having class sessions.

Though some was review, I have learned many new strategies as well as content during my first month alone. I absolutely cannot wait to complete this program and see how far I have come in such a short period of time. The projects are fun and challenging but very achievable. I get excited knowing that my portfolio is going to look awesome as I continue to build and add more projects!

I feel like Thinkful is there from start to finish. They don't just throw you out after completion. They stick by yourside during the whole interview and job hunt process to make sure you get in the field you want. I don't know about you, but college did not provide that for me. So in essence, I feel as if the Career Path was a wise investment for myself as well as cost effective.

• Aleks • COO, Parts Detect • Student

I had the privledge of meeting Martin Bing through Thinkful's MakerSquare Prep course and I'm sure if they have people of his caliber working with them that their other programs must be excellent. Martin went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable with concepts, offered suggestions and examples to clarify nuances in the various concepts of JS.

Curriculum was very thorough, instructor amazing, but I wished there were more excercises or projects within them simply because a succesful bootcamp interview will depend on practice as well as understanding. That being said, I have since registered on coderbyte and pluralsight in order to continue practicing after the course.

• Front End
    - 4/13/2016
    Steven Rodriguez • ESL Teacher • Student

I was trying to teach myself for 6 moths. I do not have a CS background, so it was difficult for me to even know where to start. I was looking for a free program, non of them really showed how to begin. I decided to go ahead and pay for a course and to have a mentor. Best decision I made. I learned so much more within 1 week rather than when I was trying to teach myself in those 6 months. The cirriculum is great, just one thing.. As a teacher, Vocabulary is important. They should have vocabulary in bold and maybe like a glossary or a quiz at the end of lessons.

• Amazing!
    - 4/13/2016
    Jack • Executive Director

I researche MANY resources for iOS development and Thinkful is by far the best! I had no experience in development and was quickly comfortable in just a few weeks with their resources.  From the one-on-one mentoring to general support, they are responsive, direct and very helpful.  I was comfortable working at my own pace and Thinkful makes it easy to jump right back in at any time.

My overall experience wasn't the best. I went through the FEWD Career Path. You're supposed to get multiple mock interviews throughout the course. I received one 15 minute mock interview. Also, don't believe the job placement numbers. Their job placement assistance was a joke. The job assistance mentor who was assigned to me looked at my portfolio site for about 10 minutes and that's as far as job assistance went. Noone looked at my resume etc. I had to hire someone outside of Thinkful to help me with that. The mentor who was assigned to review my portfolio and help with finding a job had just graduated Thinkful 1-2 years ago. Is that a joke?

• Vincent

I was simply blown away by all the resources Thinkful had to offer. My mentor was extremely knowledgeable and patient with me when explaining to me tough concepts. He was always quick to respond to any questions I had whether by email or by Slack chat. There is also an overwhelming amount of office hours and workshops that cover a wide variety of subjects and it's easy to find one that fits your schedule.

Overall, the customer service was very accommodating and the cirriculum was very in depth. I would highly recommend Thinkful to anyone!

• Helen • Social Media Manager • Graduate

I was able to go at my own pace, which was sometimes 5 hours a week and other times 15 hours a week. My mentor kept me motivated and interested in the course material. If I ever needed help outside of my mentor sessions, I utilized the slack chat function to talk my issues out with other students. I felt I got what I paid for and more with all of the resources available to me through Thinkful.

• Jake P. • Frontend Web Developer • Graduate

I really enjoyed my time with Thinkful and my mentor Jacquie. It seemed like she was always there when I needed her to help me on my path of learning Frontend Web Developement. Being in this program was a great boost in my confidence and knowledge and has helped to prepare me for my upcoming bootcamp. I deffinitly endorse this program, essepessialy if you are just getting into coding and don't have anyone else to talk to about it. I, for example,  came from a military and personal training background so close to no one to talk to or help me with code. Since Thinkful I have gotten two job offers and won two Hackathons within two months of finishing the program...

• Jesse • Process Engineer • Graduate

After getting a good grasp of the Python programming language, I don't know where I could start learning about the Data Science due to its broadly immense field of study. Not until I found Thinkful. I enrolled in Data Science in Python, because I thought it would introduce me to this field and have a better idea on the scope and analytics commonly used.

I got more than what I bargained for as the curricula goes through teaching data import and extraction from numerous sources, and once that is done, delves right into the many, many analytical methods which honestly took a bulk of my time to learn and understand. I did wish I get to learn more. My mentor, Rowan Copley, is a quirky yet awesome individual that is always available for help both during and not during mentoring sessions. He also provides great books to read or up-to-date news on this field to keep me motivated throughout the course.

However, in the end, I get to build up a great looking repository of my journey. So thanks Thinkful!

• Victor Ahluwalia • Student

I'm about a month through the web development career path and I could not be any more satisfied with my experience. My mentor, Alex Cumbo, is a great teacher and has guided me through the material by breaking down concepts at a very detailed level and by keeping me interested in learning more. I really like the way the curriculum is structured as it introduces a certain topic and then provides an opportunity to complete fun excerices that help reinforce the concepts.

I am excited to progress further into the course and will provide an update once I complete the curriculum.

• Great experience
    - 4/9/2016
    Ian Mrak • Student

As a self taught programmer, Thinkful provided invaluable experience with day-to-day commincation and problem solving with another engineer. They help familiarize me with a professional working environment as well as providing a solid set of coursework for intermediate JavaScript.

• AngularJS Course
    - 4/8/2016
    Bill H • Software Engineer • Student

I took the Front End Web Development course about a year ago and decided to sign up for the the Angular course in February. The FEWD course about a year ago wasn't perfect, but I got through it and learned a lot. I learned enough to coast through the front end part of my brick and mortar Java boot camp. That's why I decided to go with Thinkful again and take the Angular course.

I'm about half way through it and I'm much happier with the quality of the content. It's written much more clearly and understandably these days. The projects that we do are great because we build on the same few projects the whole class. And, of course, the mentorship is what makes it great. My mentor has helped me get unstuck many times. It helps keep me motivated. Were I learning by myself, I'm afraid that getting stuck without help might decrease my motivation. That's why the mentorship at Thinkful is worth so much.

I was happy with the FEWD class and I'm happy with this one, too. I'll probably end up taking more as well. It's a worthwhile investment.

I've had a great experience using the Thinkful Web Development Career Path.  You must be disciplined enough to spend time working through challenges on your own, but the great thing about the program is access to the wealth of knowledge through your mentor and Slack community.  Thinkful provides fun challenges to work through each new concept.  Combining that with access to people with real world experience really makes the learning process flow wonderfully.

I'm looking forward to continuing towards my career goals with the Thinkful team.

• Amit • Student

I've had an extremely positive experience taking the Web Development Career Path course through Thinkful. I had taken all the self-paced online courses in HTML, CSS, and JS via Codecademy and was ready to take what I learned to the next level. They definitely helped me do that.

Thinkful does a great job of teaching you about a subject, and having you apply it to an actual project. All the little exercises that courses like Codecademy give are helpful for understanding syntax and the general language; it is, in my experience, very difficult to take a basic understanding of a language and build something with it. They also helped me do that.

Thinkful did a great job introducing me to several technologies and libraries that are critical to becoming a competitive job candidate in today's developer job market (Webpack, React, Node, Redux, etc.).

Thinkful's cream of the crop is its mentor sessions. I was matched with an experienced developer who understands the ins and outs of what one needs to know to become a professional developer. He's done a really good job of teaching me the latest and greatest technologies (listed above), which I can easily take with me to a proffesional setting. He's also been available to me as a resource throughout the week if I ever get stuck on a bug or confused on a subject matter. It's kind of like having your own personal tutor who's always available to help you out. It's pretty great.

The other cool part of Thinkful is it's Slack group and daily office hours sessions. If for whatever reason your mentor isn't available, Thinkful has a giant group chat of fellow students and mentors that are more than happy to help you out if you get stuck on something.

Overall, I pretty much avoided paying $19k for a full-time bootcamp, worked part-time while I studied, and gained all the necessary skills I needed to get a job as a developer. It's a pretty sweet deal.

• Ruby on Rails
    - 4/7/2016
    Jason Terlizzi • Graduate

The best thing about Thinkful are the mentors and access to a large number of engineers via Slack. I took the Full-Stack Rails class, and it was incredable. You'll have to be disciplined as the first 2 sections show basic techniques for development. Most of your time will be spent understanding how things work and applying concepts to your own projects. This is where mentors help out a great deal. The last section of the Rails course was a bit more difficult, there were several typos which led me to believe it hasn't been reviewed recently. This is the only flaw I found with the course, I spent several hours going down a rabbit hole with typos and wrong concepts that weren't edited correctly. In the end, after 3 months of instense study, I'm now doing small Rails projects as side work. It also helped me with becoming a better problem solver and using programming as a skill-set.

• Andrew • Graduate

This review is for the course "Programming in Python" (part-time; 3 months; $500 a month). It took me 2 months to complete the standard course material and a month to finish my capstone project.

I have previous programming experience in Java, JavaScript, and C. At the time of enrollment in this course, I was already working at a tech company as a technical account manager, coding in JavaScript on a daily basis. No prior Python experience, though!

There are dozens of free online Python courses (some better than Thinkful's), but that's not what you're paying for when you sign up for one of Thinkful's courses. What you're paying for is direct access to a community of developers who have years of experience working in their industry. My mentor, Tudor, was an invaluable asset, steering me in the right direction and saving me countless hours of what surely would have been fruitless internet searching. Tudor always knew multiple different tools, libraries, and methods I could explore to accomplish my tasks.

All of this isn't to say that the course curriculum isn't valuable. It certainly is. The material focuses on breadth rather than depth, though, meaning that you'll touch upon every aspect of developing and deploying a web app that a fullstack developer might. There's the bread and butter Python, but that leads into some HTML, CSS, and JavaScript; configuring and using databases; web frameworks like Flask and Django (for the adventurous); unit and component testing; Heroku deployment; continuous integration; and more. My only disappointment was that there weren't more lessons on the Python language itself, so I ended up purchasing a dedicated Python book to supplement the course which I found extremely useful.

With this course and my mentor Tudor's help, I was able to create a web app that I will use as part of my portfolio when applying for a developer position. More immediately, however, I have been able to apply the Python skills I learned to build numerous tools for my coworkers at my current job to help them automate their more tedious tasks.

Ultimately, this course was valuable to me for two reasons: 1) because I already had experience in a few programming languages, but didn't understand how the development cycle of modern web apps all fit together; and 2) because having a mentor was motivating and a much better use of my time than scrounging the internet for answers.

I hope this review helps you find the right course for your needs! Good luck!

Disclaimer: Thinkful offered me a t-shirt for this review. But, if it makes you feel any better I have other t-shirts so it's not like I had to write this review.

• Anthony Espino

My experience at thinkful has too be honestly one of the best decision I have made for myself. So far i been enjoying the lessons. But the real reason I believe that makes Thinkful is their mentors, My mentor is willing to take the time to help me with any problems i might have and very encouraging

• M Williams
    M Williams • Student

The curriculum is great but to me the mentor session time is what really stands out about the program.

I came to the right place.

• Mentorship Rules
    Colette Kenney • Project Controls Manager • Student

I'm a Mechanical Engineer with a Masters in Psychology who currently earns a living as a Project Controls Manger in Oil and Gas. Due to a volitile energy market, and an overwhelming desire to work remotely from anywhere in the world; I decided it was time to become a FULL-STACK WEB DEVELOPER.

I needed to find a school who would teach me what I needed to know in the shortest amount of time possible. So I did a Google search (I think my search terms were something like "Best Online Schools Full Stack Web Developer") and up came Thinkful. Their website suggested that they could teach you to be a Full-Stack developer in 4-6 months, so the timeframe was just right. And then, when I saw that Thinkful offered mentorship I 100% knew I'd be signing up. What better way to get through a program quickly than to have 3 one-hour mentorship sessions per week!

The curriculum at Thinkful is challenging, there is no doubt. The learning curve is steep! But they teach you everything you need to know, using the tools of the trade that you will be using when you get your first job, and the mentorship they provide ensures that you stick with it, even when the going gets tough.

Learning to code isn't easy. If it was, everyone would be doing it. I am grateful to have found Thinkful because if I was trying to learn to code on my own, I'm sure I would have quit more than a few times already!

• No regrets
    Adeola • Graduate

I enrolled into the Thinkful python programming course after two failed attempts to learn python via Coursera. The main thing that reinforced my decision to enroll in this course was the mentor arrangment which I felt would accelerate my learning since I would have someone I could talk to.

I have enjoyed working with my mentor(Hoa Tran). His approach to working with me is not one where he just solves my coding problems by  typing out the solution. Instead it is one of "forced learning" where he asks me to think and try to solve the problem by myself. Most times this is very frustrating but it has helped improve my problem solving skills when it comes to finding out errors in my code. Another avenue that I have really enjoyed is the Thinkful slack community because there is always someone to help, with whatever issue you are confused about. Sometimes as coding newbies one is ashamed to ask questions because you are worried you might be ridiculed, but I have never experienced that in the t´Thinkful slack community.  Rosuav a thinkful mentor has been especially helpful.

The course content is very thorough and you get to learn a lot of things and type out really great code. There are however some areas which I think need to be improved. For instance there are no python workshops available on the website. Some of the topics covered in the python course are really complex and require more than just written text for a newbie to understand. I also wish there were more python Q&A sessions. This used to be the case when I first started the course but in the last few weeks, this has changed.

Overall I have had to make some sacrifices financially to take this course but I have no regrets. It has been a worthwhile experience.

Change in Salary

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

86% of job obtainers reported salaries.