thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online bootcamp that equips students for new careers in the world’s next workforce by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, design, product management, and digital marketing. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech. Thinkful also offers a tuition refund guarantee for qualifying courses. While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s programs include the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, Data Analytics Flex, and Digital Marketing Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students can join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (557) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (86) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Data Visualization, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, SQL, Python
    LocationOnline, Detroit, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced degree
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Product Management Flex

This flexible, online Product Management course is built to help you start a brand new, high-paying tech career. You’ll receive a personal mentor, work on real-world projects, and benefit from career coaches.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.

• Great Format
    - 9/27/2016
    Bernardo • Sr. Analyst • Graduate

I really enjoyed the experience at Thinkful. I've been learning Python with various platforms and found that the structure of Thinkful sets it apart from the rest. Being higher priced than others allows the program to provide more human interaction. My mentor was instrumental in my success and I took part in some Q&A sessions and the Slack channel.

My one critique would be that I thought the pace was a bit fast for a class being advertised as beginner. I think some of the course content could be expanded upon before getting into building the programs. I would recommend having some foundations in Python before taking this class. I am interested in continuing my training in the Data Science class that Thinkful offers so I would say that is a testement to their offerings.

• Trey • Jazz Musician/construction

With only a few months of coding experience prior to enrolling into the Thinkful part-time flexible career path, I have so far managed to finish all of my project assignments on time and conveniently attend mentor sessions. Before enrolling, my biggest concern was falling behind due to my lack of prior coding experience and/or basic understanding of code and web related stuff. I was a total noob when it came to computers, and so I naturally felt that enrolling into a bootcamp might not be a practical idea considering how rigorous and intensive most bootcamps are.

Thinkful stands out from other bootcamps in that it offers various courses to accomodate its students. At age 29, I chose to enroll into the flexible part-time career path since I couldn't quit my current job. This isn't an option with other bootcamps, such as Hackreactor, a school in which I originally wanted to enroll. Thinkful offers same results as other schools, but different approaches.

The Thinkful team has worked with me in many ways than just teaching me to code. The Q&A sessions that are offered, along with forums and Slack discussions, have helped immerse me in not only the langauge but the entire culture of code, an experience I couldn't have achieved with doing personal research alone. Like any language, to be fluent one must understand the abstract things that underlie grammar, syntax, and even pronunciation, and the abstract part of code, to me, is understanding the various styles code. There are so many ways to write code, and once you understand basic syntax and logic, the fun part is finding your style.

Thinkful also does a great job at emphasizing the importance in honing your research skills as a developer. Various online resources are provided, perfect for bookmarking so to revisit or harken back to later if needed.

If you're pretty serious about learning to code, I highly recommend doing so via the Thinkful team. I am 2 months in and already I feel I am starting to see the world from the eyes of a developer, and develop my own unique "style" of writing code.

• Great experience
    - 9/21/2016
    Olia • Graduate

Thinkful Front-end Development course proved to me that I can actually code which seemed almost impossible before! Everything is explained pretty well and mentor helps a lot as well as Q&A sessions! I gained new skills and hope to continue learning how to code because it's so much fun! I like challenges and Thinkful is a perfect one to overcome!

• Jon • Creative Director • Graduate

The self driven online learning platform offered by Thinkful was perfect for me. It allowed me to move at my own pace and gave me the opportunity to spend as much time as necessary on any subject I felt I needed. The 1 on 1 mentor sessions gave me a platform to voice my questions and concerns, and helped me to focus on what was really important for my development. The Front-End Web Development course provided me with relevant information and educated me utilizing current and emerging industry practices.

• iOS (Swift)
    - 9/19/2016
    Jordan • Student

My course at Thinkful was great! It provided me with a great foundation, now I feel like I can tackle any idea I have. If I have any problems, I know where to look if I have any issues. I would recommend this class to anyone!

• Nick Galantowicz

With practically zero experience I entered the front end engineering course nervous to say the least.  Theyre support systems and my mentor relationship subsided such nerves continuosly throughout.  I can't thank thinkful and my mentor Max enough for setting me on my path to becoming a programer!  Great course!

• Thinkful review.
    - 9/8/2016
    Luis • Student

I believe Thinkul is one of the best courses that I've seen out there. I've tried a couple of courses from different companies, but I feel like the one that helped me the most was Thinkful. The way they provide the information is very useful. They will give you a task and a one hour time frame for you to complete as much as you can. Once you finish the one hour time frame, you can go to the next step which is a walkthrough of how to complete the previous task.

The 1on1 with the mentor is such a great way to answer all your questions. Nicolas was my mentor and I have to say that he was an awesome resource that helped me a lot. I would recommend Thinkful to anyone who wants to learn how to code.

• Worth it
    - 9/7/2016
    Brian Barrow • Student

I have really enjoyed the Thinkful curriculum so far. The reason I signed up was the mentorship factor. I had been going through FreeCodeCamp for about a year and was making good progress there, but I never had any consistent and quality feedback on my code. My projects worked, but I didn't know if I was following best practices. Having a mentor has been absolutely priceless. Definitely worth it!

• Liz C. • Student

I'm currently enrolled in the flexible time full stack developement course through thinkful.com . I don't have a background in coding but do have a sense of curiosity and desire to learn so I was searching for a program that would support me as I learnt concepts that we new to me.  Part of the beauty of this program is the personal support provided by the staff. I'm not searching for tradtional employment upon gradution but rather the start of a freelance career so it's been great to hear from the various support staff as to how they can help me achieve this.  I've never felt like a generic student being pushed through the program but rather like an individual with specfic needs that can be discussed and addressed.  I have 3 people in my support team: my mentor, my program manager and a career counselor. We have discussed how my experience can be tailored to help my needs, from changing out sections of the curiculum to altering my career search to match the requirements of being a freelancer.  It makes me fee like I'm being set up to succeed and flourish with my new found skills.

In terms of coursework support, I have 3 online video sessions with my mentor where we talk through concepts I'm having trouble grasping or work through code that isn't working.  If I'm between sessions there is plenty of support in the form of online office hours or a slack channel filled with people happy to help.

If you are worried about coding being too hard for you or feeling like you want support and motivation as you learn then I can't recommend thinkful.com enough.

• Michelle Litzau • Student

I am currently in the Front End Web Development course and I am getting a lot out of it. The program layout is very helpful and the mentor they assigned to me is excellent. I would recommend this course to anyone who is looking to start from the beginning or who has been away from the subject and needs a good refresher course.

• Courtney Waller • Web Developer • Graduate

I'll lead with good news - I really did get a job (and a good one!) after completing Thinkful's flex front end bootcamp.

I came in with very little knowledge about programming or web dev when I started in January, and Thinkful's course setup got me up and running in lightning fast time. Working with a mentor 3x a week was fantastic and much needed. I also took advantage of the Slack chatroom and live Q&A sessions so that even though I was doing it online, I felt like I had a community around me.

Once I graduated (aka finished the curriculum), I had a very thorough review of my projects and portfolio to get them up to professional quality, plus help from an awesome team that introduced me to companies in my area and gave me interview and negotiating advice.

From start to finish, I felt really supported and very much that what I was learning was on point and applicable to real life jobs. I would pick Thinkful again in a heartbeat and definitely recommend it to anyone looking to transition into a dev career.

• Taylor Watters • Student

This course has provided me skills that have proven to put me ahead of my competition in the job hunt. The course is well designed and I really enjoyed the fact it makes you think about how to design the layout or solve a problem on your own after providing just enough background information. This was a great first step for me to take on my way towards becoming a full stack web developer and I would certainly recommend you enroll if this field interests you.

• Great Bootcamp!
    - 8/16/2016
    Bryce • Student

This course has really helped me to understand what I am doing. I have tried to start learning to code on my own but this is the first time I truly started to understand it and have it stick.

Meeting with my mentor every week is really the difference maker. Just being able to learn from someone who is activley working in the industry is a huge help. My mentor has helped me grasp the information in the lessons way better than I could do on my own.

The projects are also set up in a way that really helps apply what was just learned. The staff at Thinkful are really great about fixing any issues quickly when you let them know about it.

• AthanasiosCanko • Student

I've been attending this course for a few weeks now, and everything seems so clear and smooth. I knew almost nothing about Node.js, and now I feel confident enough to create any web app that comes through my mind. Kudos to Thinkful!

• Tyler Wade Bridges • Student

I've really had an amazing time with thinkful, I've tried many other bootcamps or classes such as Hack Reactor prep but what they dont tell you on top of the entire bootcamp cost is that you have to give up your job as well as take out a loan to attend those bootcamps. Thinkful can be a part time course where you're allowed to make a living and have a much less aggressive career transistion and they offer all the best stuff of bootcamps and job guarantees and for 1/2 the price!

• Cody • Student

I am only halfway through the part-time web developement career track, but have already learned more than I did in multiple college classes.

Their curriculum is top notch, and I have an amazing mentor who I really connect with.

I would highly recommend them.

• Gerry Brosas • Regional Compliance Leader • Student

I am currently enrolled in thinkful's Flexible web development bootcamp and here's my experience so far.

It took me a while to finally commit to thinkful, a lot of research and asking around. a lot of other school out there offeres the same or if not almost the same curiculum as thiknkful. but what actually caught my attention was their promise to land you or at least help you land a job. and since i'm doing this to change careers these option works best for me.

I started with a call with NOEL your friendly thinkful walking wikipedia who i think knows everything you need to know about thinkful. after he answered all my questions i know i'm in. he sent me the link to the enrollment page

Note: one thing i love about thinkful is they offer a a lot of payment options. which really really help. they're working with skill funds for any one who needs to take a loan.

after i enrolled, i got scheduled with Aric my program manager who walked me through on how the course will be. he was staright out on what to exoect from them and what they expect from.

after that i had my first mentor interview scheduled, which i think cause my mentor flaked on me, but i'm pretty sure he has a valid reason. i sent an email out to aric and the thinkful support team, they responded pretty quick. i got a little late with my mentor sessions but it's ok cause they provided me with a new mentor Kris Craw who is by the way an amazing mentor. his style in teaching works prefect for me. i don't know about other mentor but this guy is the best, he actually gives a lot of pro-tips which helps a lot in moving forward, his tips makes your coding life more easier.

i'm currenty doing the JQuery lessons and so far everything has been great.

this course like every other course really depends on how your outlook is. if you're willing to learn you will learn a lot of new amazing things. what i really suggest to anyone planning to enroll is try out codecademy free material its not 100% the same but i think its the closest you can get on how their material feels like, this is a good way to see if you can commit into an on-line coding class. cause it's not easy you need dedication.

one last thing i want to add. i think what makes thinkful really stand-out than others are their mentor sessions, this helps a lot specially in understanding the lessons. or giving you tips.

• Johnny • Student

At my work there was an opening for someone to build an iOS app for another department. Naively, I jumped at the chance, thinking app development couldn't be hard. But it's tough, crazy tough for a beginner like me. There are many online tutorials, many of which don't cost much. And maybe you won't consider this until you've been as far as I have in the tutorial wilderness. The mentorship at Thinkful is really great along with the slack channel where you can get even more help in between sessions. The user experience of the course is also really great. Some courses have smallish font with scattered videos. Thinkful is a nice clean presentation that makes you feel comfortable with learning and keeps you going.

• Great Course
    - 7/28/2016
    Joseph • Student

I signed up for the Front End Web Development course through Thinkful when I thought I was signing up for the Bootcamp Prep course. When I found out a month later that I signed up for the wrong course, I immediately thought I made a mistake, but I actually felt like I made the right choice. I learned a lot more than I thought in a short amount of time, and felt that I could use that knowledge to get into the bootcamp of my choice. After a little bit of time, I was accepted into the bootcamp that I really wanted to join and could not be any happier. I accomplished what I wanted with the program and more. I would recommend this program to anyone wanting to start learning, because it gives you a great structure to learn, and doesn't hold your hand the entire way. Finding things out on your own, and through the slack community has made me learn things better than someone just telling me the answers. Thank you Thinkful for the direction you took me.

• Dylan • Student

I am about 6 weeks into the Thinkful Flexible Bootcamp. At first I was a little sketched out about forking the cash for a coding camp. Upon many reviews and many trips to reddit and youtube I stumbled on thinkful.

Initially siging up for the course was easy. I was guided through by the program manager until they could find me a Mentor. Although, it took a week to get me a mentor after signing up my concerns were addressed in a very quick manner. They got my mentor set up with me and helped me in every way possible.

Once I got completely settled in which only took a week for me because everyone was awesome. I was impressed with how structured all of the material was and how motivating my mentor always is. The plus with having a mentor is that you are held accountable and have to answer for something if you do not progress. I have been self teaching for a while but have learned more in the past month from Thinkful than 4 years of self taught learning.

The only thing that I have to say about thinkful or any bootcamp that is on the verge of negative is that it is not for the faint of heart. I work a full time job 40+ hours a week in DevOps so I am in high demand. On top of that I put in 3.5 hours a night to my bootcamp. On top of those things I have a wife and a 2 year old daughter to pay attention to. It is not impossible just hard but if you go through it every accomplishment and every problem solved is that much more grand because you have a life outside of the camp that needs attention to.

So I would recommend Thinkful to anyone that would wants to learn a whole lot while working. You have to want it though. If you are in it for just the glamour of being a developer you will be dissapointed because it is not always glamourous. It is not always sitting at starbucks drinking a latte just hacking away. You will get stuck and you will feel inadequate at times. However, the trick is to perservere because once you have learned and once you get your dream job you will be thanking yourself. Your family will be proud of you as well.

I like Thinkful and I support what they are doing whole heartedly because they truly care about their relationships with the students and the alumni. I am looking forward to my future in software engineering and web developement with the expert assistance and career services of Thinkful.

TO THE POINT: If you are looking to learn and have the backing of industry professionals and people that truly care about your success sign up now at thinkful.

• Great Staff
    - 7/25/2016
    Daryll • Student

Even though I'm only on my second month into my bootcamp, I'm so glad I chose Thinkful. All the staff that I have had the pleasure to interact with have all been very helpful and has made everything very simple. My mentor, Mario, is a great friend and mentor. He tries his best to answer all my questions - if he wasn't too sure what the answer is, he'll look for the answer and make sure to explain it to me. There was an error on my billing and Ariana quickly corrected the error. Aric, my program advisor, has been very helpful as well answering every question I have and have been very supportive. I needed to take a month off as I will be moving in August and everyone has made it a very smooth transition for me.

Outside of everyone being amazing, the lessons are also as great as the staff are helpful. The lessons are given to you in a way where you can get the basic idea of the topic and try to take off from there. But even if you can't figure it out, your mentor, other mentors, and the students are more than willing to answer any questions on the community messaging. There are daily Q&A sessions that are available to all students to take advantage as well.

Thinkful is honestly a great community to learn coding. I look forward to continuing to interact with everyone and finishing my course.

• Cathy Y.

When I came to Thinkful, I had zero knowledge about coding. Working with a mentor at Thinkful was the best thing for me. I learned so much faster than if I had worked on my own. I have a better understanding of problem solving and the logic behind certain codes. Now I'm much more confidant about coding.

Alvin, my mentor, was fantastic. He really cared whether I understood the material and was very patient with me. Even problems that were probably really easy to him, he never rushed me. He was encouraging when things got tough and he also made it fun. I couldn't have asked for someone better to help me get started. I feel very lucky I had him as a mentor.

• Daniel Dorner • Multimedia Specialist • Graduate

Overall this was a great course. There are a plethora of online learning resources, however having a dedicated mentor is invaluable. If you're starting from scratch you may find the curriculum challenging - however it prepares you for the research and problem solving skills you'll need to successfully finish the course.

I came with some programming experience - and some Swift experience - but still gained considerable knowledge. And my mentor Brian was great.

Looking forward to taking more courses.

• Ted Tzuridis • Student

Before I write about Thinkful I'd like for people to know of my prior knowledge about bootcamps from friends I have. My two friends went to MKS in San Fran, it cost them over 20k each for 3 months because of the cost of living in San Fran as well as tuition. They both obtained jobs within 6 months of graduation.

I chose Thinkful over MKS or Hack Reactor because I was able to keep my job which is not something I could find anywhere else and I could also go at my own pace with the part time program. Thinkful is the most affordable of all the top bootcamps and the mentoring is like working with other professional devs from day 1.

I have yet to finish the coursework as I just started in July. However the curriculum is exactly the same as what you would learn at places like MKS and I know this because I had 2 friends who went there. If you have some prior knowledge in html css or js you will probably finish in about 4 months with the part time program.

If you are considering a bootcamp, I would just say to think about this: Why pay more money for the same curriculum? And also if you have bills to pay so you need to kepp working rather than get 3-6 months off, it's highly unlikely you will find a program with mentors that can be available whenever you need them, which is how thinkful is setup.

TLDR:

In short Thinkful is the most affordable top bootcamp with a network of mentors that doesnt exist anywhere else. It is the best option for people who cant take 3-6 months off whether you be a total noobie or have some prior knowledge. And finally in my opinion I would say that it is also the best option if you do have that time off and participate in the full time program and that is because of the vast network of mentors they have.

• Simply Awesome
    - 7/14/2016
    Justin • Student

I've been working on the part time web development career path for the past six weeks. The course really drives you to keep learning, and the people are amazing! I've had conversations with many people from HQ, and they are all quite helpful and genuinely want to help you to do your best. It's been such a great experience that I've chosen to enroll in the fulltime course!

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here