thinkful-logo

Thinkful

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Online, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Washington

Thinkful

Thinkful is an online bootcamp that equips students for new careers in the world’s next workforce by offering online, fast-paced, job-ready programs in software engineering, data science, data analytics, design, product management, and digital marketing. Students learn cutting-edge industry standards, have 1-on-1 mentoring with an industry professional, and receive career services and job placement assistance to get a job in tech. Thinkful also offers a tuition refund guarantee for qualifying courses. While Thinkful is an online platform, the school also has in-person communities in tech hubs around the US, where students can attend in-person events and classes.

Thinkful’s programs include the 5-month Engineering Immersion and Data Science Immersion, Engineering Flex, Engineering Nights & Weekends, Data Science Flex, Product Design Flex, Product Management Flex, Data Analytics Flex, and Digital Marketing Flex. All courses include personal mentor meetings, a custom-built curriculum, and mentor-hosted Q&A sessions with industry professionals. Students are expected to commit 50-60 hours per week for Immersion programs and 20 to 25 hours per week for Flexible programs. Thinkful students can learn while they can keep their jobs, and access course materials from anywhere in the world. Students can join a community of 3000+ students and mentors on Slack to get on-demand code help and build a professional network. All graduates receive lifetime access to the course curriculum.

Thinkful offers all students career guidance to navigate the job market, build a professional portfolio, and prepare for interviews. All programs guarantee job placement in a qualifying position that is full-time and in-field. If students are not placed within 6 months of graduation, they get a 100% tuition refund.

Prospective students can apply via the Thinkful website, and schedule a call to chat with an advisor. It’s important to note that the Data Science Immersion and Flexible programs have more strict admissions requirements than other programs.

Recent Thinkful Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (557) reviews for Thinkful →

Recent Thinkful News

Read all (86) articles about Thinkful →
  • Data Analytics Flex

MySQL, Data Visualization, Excel, Data Analytics , Business Intelligence, SQL, Python
    LocationOnline, Detroit, Washington, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Chicago, Raleigh, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco
    Set your schedule in a program built to turn your into a highly-paid data analyst in six months. Benefit from one-on-one mentorship, career guidance, and community support from enroll to hire.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
    ScholarshipSelf-identifying women and US military members (active or discharged) are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • Data Analytics Immersion

A rigorous and structured full-time program built to get you a job as a data analyst. Benefit from instructor-led learning, a virtual classroom environment, 1-on-1 mentorship, and a robust support team.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/full-time/#pricing
  • Data Science Flex

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    A flexible, online data science course aimed at helping you launch a career. One-on-one mentorship, professional guidance, and a robust community network are on hand to help you succeed in this highly advanced profession.
    Minimum Skill LevelIntermediate
  • Data Science Immersion

Data Science, Hadoop, Spark, Algorithms, SQL, Python, Machine Learning
    An accelerated online program of classes, mentorship, and professional guidance designed to get you a career in data science, fast. This advanced program is designed to serve the needs of equipping degree graduates with the data science skillset they need to obtain a career in their field of study.
    Minimum Skill LevelAdvanced degree
  • Digital Marketing Flex

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking, SEO, Data Analytics
    Learn the technical skills needed to build an audience, create a brand, and drive sales. Study with a flexible, online schedule, a personal mentor, and peer groups. Professional career coaches guide you with networking advice and personalized resume tips to help secure a high-income marketing role.
    Options: https://www.thinkful.com/bootcamp/data-analytics/flexible/#pricing
  • Engineering Immersion

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    A fast-tracked, full time program of online classes, mentorship, and career coaching. Skills, tools, and the support you need to become a highly paid full-stack web developer.
  • Product Management Flex

This flexible, online Product Management course is built to help you start a brand new, high-paying tech career. You’ll receive a personal mentor, work on real-world projects, and benefit from career coaches.
  • UX/UI Flex

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, Front End
    Set your schedule with an online program aimed at taking you from newbie to a confident, highly-paid product designer. Learn the skills and the best way to present them with a team of mentors, career coaches, and community supporters.

• Missy Tracy • Student

I'm currently taking the Flexible Data Science Bootcamp and couldn't be happier with my decision.  I researched various in-person and online bootcamps for a year before finally deciding to go with Thinkful.  I was initially skeptical of bootcamps in general.  Coming from a background in academia (environmental engineering), I was afraid I would be wasting my money for an intangible result.  I was wrong!  I'm only about a month into the program but am blown away by how much practical knowledge and coding ability I have gained in such a short time.

The online learning platform is great, as is the flexible schedule.  The program has a very personal feel.  You set a pace that works for you.  I've also been really impressed with the entire Thinkful community.  Having a personal mentor is a huge benefit and holds you accountable.  I'm very excited to continue to grow my skills over the next several months.

• Matt • Junior Developer • Graduate

Attending Thinkful was probably one of the best decisions I've made. I've waited until I was hired as a developer before reviewing so that I could give a full review of the bootcamp, both the curriculum and the post-grad support.

To give some context - Prior to Thinkful, I had dabbled in several fields - academic research, law, and recruitment. For various reasons, they were not satisfying to me. In the spring of 2017, I decided to relocate to Seattle. Alongside the move, I decided to give software engineer a chance as I had always been interested in it and thought it was the perfect time considering the move.

I was looking for several things in a bootcamp - the ability to do it online since I was relocating, the opportunity to work with others, the opportunity to be taught by somebody who worked in the field, a solid structure to the curriculum that would guide me as I learned, a portfolio to demonstrate my skills upon graduation, and a guarantee that I would get a software position of some sort (or lacking that a solid history of placing people in a position).

Thinkful immediately stood out to me because, to my surprise, they met every single one of my criteria, including, the best case, the job guarantee. I'll review each of my criteria in a short (or long) summary of how Thinkful did and didn't live up to them. (Spoiler, they did).

Mentor - This breaks down into two, engineering mentor and career mentor. Thinkful's mentor support has been phenomenal. I worked with an engineer that knew his stuff, guided me when I struggled and, most importantly, let me struggle instead of giving me answers. Our relationship was tight over the 6 months I worked with him and I truly couldn't have asked for a better one. When I graduated, I was placed with a career mentor who guided me through the tough and draining application processes, always motivating me and helping me get better. The amount of resources made available to me was staggering. I truly wouldn't have been able to find a job as quickly as I did without her help. Thinkful absolutely shines when it comes to the mentor support.

Work with Others - As I did the part time, I was solo for most of the bootcamp. Thinkful offers extracurricular lectures and a very active community of other learners for you to tap in to. So while I wasn't mandated to interact as part of the part time bootcamp, the community was there and extremely helpful.

Curriculum - This was arguably one of the most important considerations. Thinkful's curriculum is not only excellent, but constantly updated to stay relevant. The Thinkful team was constantly improving on the curriculum and keeping active students informed of additions so that we could revisit the improved information. Aside from the improvements, the material itself was relevant, clear, and easily understood. It had a number of practice problems/projects that helped to refine my understanding and had a number of guided lessons to help. In addition, they constantly sought feed back to ensure that the material was error free and easily followed. The curriculum covers an extremely modern (and desired) stack and it teaches you how to teach yourself. So while the stack my go out of style in the future, the skills and methods you gain from Thinkful goes beyond just one stack but how to think like an engineer. However, their coverage of Computer Science fundamentals was extremely brief and in my opinion did not prepare me as well as it could have for interviews. This is probably the only criticism I can make of Thinkful. But, I cut them a huge amount of slack primarily because this is NOT a computer science degree or program. It is a web development program. So they focus a ton of effort for preparing you to be a web developer. And as I touch on before, they teach you to teach yourself. So they introduced basic computer science fundamentals and provided a cursory overview and I was able to supplement that information with my own research and study. Interviews are curious to know if you have a basic grasp of this information, so having a solid understanding of it is important to get through the initial interviews.

Portfolio - I sought a portfolio so that I could have real projects to show to prospective employers. As part of the bootcamp, you're required to develop 3 projects and a portfolio site (plug- https://mattpeebl.es). These projects are rigorously reviewed to ensure originality and mastery over the subjects. They also give you a ton of things to talk about during interviews. I was extremely pleased by the requirements they set and the feedback I was given to improve.

Job Guarantee - This was the clincher for me. A job in software development within 6 months of graduating or my money back, in full. This alleviated so many of my worries and was the deciding factor for me. Thinkful takes great care to ensure you do get employed and works tirelessly to see that you do. In my experience, this wasn't an empty promise but one of their core values that they strove to meet everyday.

There's a ton more I could go into - like the constant support I received from their support team, the ability to place the course on hold when life gets in the way, the project managers who were extremely available, their huge success in creating communities across the United States, their vote of confidence in not just their students but the tech community as a whole with their most recent fund-raising series and so much more.

Thinkful was, again, truly one of the best decisions I've made and gave me the means and knowledge to work in my chosen field, successfully. 5/5 across the board from me.

• L. Morales • Digital Producer • Graduate

Excellent experience with Thinkful's Front Web Development course. My mentor asked the best questions and always provided clarity on the coursework. Curriculum is no joke though---be prepared to work hard.

• Ryan • Student

I am currently finishing up my second month of the program.  They provide you with everything you need to learn from a blank slate.  You will have a mentor, a program manager, helpful developers that host q and a sessions, and a community on slack eager to assist.  It has been a great experience so far and manageable with my full time job.  If you are very serious about getting into this field, this is a great avenue to take.  I had no prior programming experience before this.  I simply like technology and enjoy problem solving.  None of this program has felt like school.  I would encourage you to explore this field and see if it interests you.  If it does, Thinkful is a great option.

• Jinesh • Student

I made the decision to apply to Thinkful's bootcamp back in September 2017. It's now January 2018 and I can confidently say it was a great decision. The amount I've learned in only a couple months is amazing. This course is very fast paced, but it's also extremely rewarding.

I've had two different mentors, one for the Web Development Fundamentals part and one once I entered the Full Stack part of the curriculum. Both mentors had distictly different teaching styles, yet both were extremely knowledgable and helpful when I was stuck or struggling to grasp a concept.

Another great thing about the course is that they not only teach you Full Stack Web Development, but also teach you ways to get involved in the tech community around you through meetups. They are dedicated to making sure you have the skills to be a developer and they are also dedicated to teaching you ways to network.

I have not gotten to the Job Assistance part of the program yet as I am still working through it, however, I have talked to a career advisor who has been extremely helpful in helping me decide on places to look at once I finally reach that part of the course. Also, my career advisor provided me with resources to look at for my future job search while I work through the course. The support provided by all the people I've experienced at Thinkful has been great and I look forward to continuing the course! I would highly recommend Thinkful, but keep in mind that you have to be dedicated to the course and put in the time to succeed. You will invest a lot of time and effort, but it is definitly worth it.

• Caleb • Student

I enrolled in the flexible bootcamp option, intending to do it after work each day. A week later I ended up losing my job, and thus was able to do the 6 month part time program in closer to 3 months. I should finish early February.
    Thinkful is so transparent with what they ask of you as a student, and there are always at least two people you can go to for answers about those larger, career minded questions.
    As far as the curriculum goes, it’s a very well rounded and well thought out curriculum compared to others I’ve tried. It won’t teach you everything a 4 year university will teach you, but you’ll get a solid base  and have a portfolio to show for it. How good your portfolio looks is completely dependent on how much time you put in. Towards the end of the program, there’s time to go back to previous projects and edit them or polish them a little bit as your knowledge expands, but you won’t really need to.
    They lay everything out so well that it’s super easy to follow along and have a clear vision of where you’re going.

• Jeff • Student

I'm really impressed with Thinkful so far. I've been enrolled in the flex web dev bootcamp for about two months and have learned a lot. The curriculum is laid out really well and my mentor Nathaniel has been a really nice person to learn from -- he clearly has a ton of experience and does a good job of explaining the concepts.

I tried a bunch of different things before Thinkful including freeCodeCamp, Viking Code School, and a bunch of courses on Udemy. The difference with Thinkful is that they do a good job of providing a polished learning experience from beginner to junior developer. Also, it's really encouraging knowing that I'll have 6 months with a career counselor after I finish the curriculum. This coupled with the consistent check-ins and mock interviews make me feel pretty confident that I'll be able to find a job after I'm done.

I would highly recommend this course for someone who has been learning on their own (or is just starting) and feels a little uneasy without a clear path to work through on the way to getting a job. There are some amazing resources out there, but this is the first thing I've done that has allowed me to be less stressed about if I'm spending time on the right things as I learn.

Highly recommended to anyone who is interested in this sort of program.

• Truly Flexible
    - 1/2/2018
    Carly Sierra • Student

Overall, I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a big life change and enjoys the work. I love that I can do it from home and the schedule flexibility it offers. The curriculum is in depth without being too much for a total beginner to grasp. It can move quickly at times, so some prep can be helpful starting out (Codecademy, freecodecamp, etc). Reach out and utilize the resources you're paying for!

Some cons are: The curriculum can be (intentionally) vague at times. The intention is to encourage self-research, reaching out to others for help, and solving problems independently. It can be frustrating, but leads to realistic preparation and expectation for the type of work. Also, the mentor selection is random so the match may not be the best for individual needs. There is an option to request a new mentor, though, if it does not work out.

This program will help you in whatever direction you want to go. The mentors, community, and lifestyle changes are easily worth the cost.

• I love it
    - 1/2/2018
    Jorge Rodriguez • Student

I love that there is so much flexibily with this course. With everyone being so busy, it helps that I can set my own schedule, and having mentors guiding me every step of the way is a major plus. If you are serious about web develepment, this is a great stepping stone to get the career that you desire.

• Richard Greene • Graduate

My time with the iOS course has been not what I expected and I mean that as a good thing. I was aware that I would have a capstone project to finish at the end of the course but what I didn't know is that the project is where I would be learning the most about Swift. My mentor was a valuable asset to have to guide me and was the highlight of the course. As such, this review will be mostly about my experience with my Capstone project and my mentor while using the course as reference and materials.

I would say the Capstone made up 75% of my Thinkful course length and the fact that there is no set limit to how long you can stay enrolled was perfect for that.  The course was basic enough that I was able to implement things I learned and recheck the sections in order to properly add or troubleshoot features pertaining to my app. Though I wish there was a feature that let you dive further into a certain subject like game development and using web services in other instances. My mentor was extremely kind and helpful as our sessions evolved from reviewing what I learned in past sections and introducing the next section(s) to guiding me to make my app better. Even with our near 12-hour timezone gap, we were still able to send emails back and forth and set time for sessions. We would spend our time troubleshooting problems I had that the course materials didn't go over and were slightly too dated to answer.

Overall I would have to say that the 1 on 1 mentor sessions were the best parts about my Thinkful course as it gave a human face and mind to the course materials you would work on throughout the week between them. I only wish I could've been able to schedule more than one session per week as I would've been able to get more done getting questions answered and being introduced to new subjects. Thinkful is exactly what I needed for someone who didn't wish to commute every day to a classroom to learn a new skill. This is the future of specialized education.

• Thinkful Experience
    - 12/13/2017
    TK • Dev in Test • Graduate

I graduated from Thinkful in August 2017. I thrived from havinig a cohort sized at 8 because it felt like a space where I could comfortably ask questions or discuss with classmates when I didn't understand concepts. I walked away from Thinkful knowing how to do a lot of "things" in javascript on both the front end and backend. It was during the career services portion of the course I realized I was closest to becoming a developer because before the program ended I still couldn't imagine it. Building Javascript 30 applications, a suggestion of one mentor, gave me a better understanding of the foundational curriculum Thinkful jumpstarted us with. I had an ally from the class that I worked through problems daily in a safe space where we grew from our mistakes implementing solutions. I also had a career coach that helped me identify my weeknesses then provided pointers to strengthen them for my next interview or project. I liked most that when I was interiewing, mentors were ALWAYS available to double look over assignments, clarify concepts, or give me a confidence boost with helpful feedback. This tremendously helped me grow and learn that my work as a developer only enhances with conductive criticism. The connections that the career coaches made with Thinkful's existing partners was so helpful. It ultimately led me to multiple offers and my ability to choose my the best fit for me. If you're thinking "I can't", you definitely can... because you'll have a whole team rooting for you and encouraging you through the gruesome and vunerable interview process.

• Mila B

I definitely did my share of researching online offerings before deciding on Thinkful’s DS prep course. It’s been a positive experience and I’m learning a lot. It is a solid alternative to in class studies and the pace is self directed.  Thinkful has some amazing mentors and I’m looking forward to enrolling in the bootcamp.

• Michelle Barker • Management • Student

I am taking Thinkful's full-stack flex program now.  It's definitely intense, but I'm amazed at how much I've learned in just a few short weeks!  My brother works as a developer here in Atlanta and has been in this field for 20+ years, and I'm learning things he only learned in the past year!  A few times I actually knew about something he never even heard of, so I got to educate him a little bit!  Because I'm doing this online I really appreciate the fact that they offer free classes every week so I have the opportunity to sit down in a classroom-like setting and have some of the concepts explained in further detail.  You also get between 3 and 6 hours a week with your mentor, so there's help available should you need it.  I'm so glad I made the choice to do this and can't wait to see what comes next!

• Jon

I chose Thinkful because I was sold on the fact that they update their curriculum based on what's popular in the industry. So at the time of my experience, React and Node were the two big guns, and now I feel pretty comfortable after my months of hard work and motivation.

Thinkful's best asset is its mentorship. You get to have a 1-on-1 meeting with someone in the industry who knows his/her stuff. During my weeks of React, I got someone who is amazing at React. During the Data Structures week, I got another guy who exceled in that. I would also like to mention having a boot camp that has time spent in Data Structures and Algorithms will REALLY benefit you come interview time.

Basically, you never feel alone, despite this being an online/remote experience. I struggled learning to code because I didn't know where to start or who to meet. Thinkful put me in front of the right people and more importantly, kept me motivated, because face it: you have to do this yourself!

Oh, and I got a job pretty quickly after the course finished. They take their career services pretty seriously as well :-)

• A+
    - 11/12/2017
    Kristoffer Panahon • Software Developer • Graduate
    Short Version

I was spooked by the whole remote thing. I wasn't sure about who I'd be working with or what the quality of everything would be. If you're on the fence about this school, don't think twice. This is a great program that's been well thought out, and it's going to get you to where you need to be. I have zero regrets dropping $14k on the full-time program.

Long version

WHY THINKFUL?

Prior to Thinkful, I went to App Academy in NYC. I made it to three weeks and then quit. I commuted 4 hours from the burbs, and slept 3-4 hours every day. I couldn't retain knowledge, my brain tapped out.

After leaving, I set out to find a school that eliminated my biggest issues with App Academy — pace and commute. After much digging, I found Thinkful, and it turned out to be more or less what I was expecting (which is a wonderful thing), after Benjy and Bhaumik fielded my bajillion questions about the program.

CURRICULUM

The quality of Thinkful's curriculum was the biggest unknown to me, and I'm happy to report that it's legit. You could tell it was crafted with care and attention to detail. Sure, I'd find typos, but if you can get over that, the high quality is apparent. Only once or twice did I need to reference outside resources, but I always heavily favored Thinkful's interpretation of a topic (as opposed to some half-baked or outdated tutorial on the web). The biggest compliment I can give to Thinkful's curriculum is that it reminds me of a textbook — it felt like the foremost authority on the topic at hand.

Other than teaching us the skills to confidently be called Web Developers, we learned how to discuss programming topics with others, which I found to be essential in forging the sorts of relationships that would later turn into job opportunities.

STAFF

With the staff that you work with on a daily basis, you quickly learn that these folks are 100% invested in your success. They genuinely care. I'll go into who I feel were the heroes in my experience.

Instructors. I can't understate the importance of the instructors. They create/maintain the learning materials, present them, and are a resource themselves. All of our instructors demonstrated an airtight command of their topic, and they were always available to take questions. (Shout out to Rich, Chris, Joe, Tauhida, and Ray!)

Program Manager. Invaluable to me is the person who's running the show, and managing the cohort's day-to-day. Thinkful assigns this person the title of Program Manager. Our PM, Theresa, was exceptional. I can't thank her enough for creating a synergistic, organized, personalized, and human experience. On a daily basis, we submit our thoughts to her (kinda like a diary), and she shrewdly makes adjustments based on your reflections. In the end, you're left with an experience that optimizes your learning and mitigates any peripheral hurdles. She was someone you could go to for anything and everything — positives/negatives, suggestions, questions, complaints, etc. In a remote program, I feel like this was a huge deal. And she was always very quick to respond, even on weekends, or late at night. To me, things felt seamless, but I'd guess a big reason for that is the Program Manager. Thank you, Theresa!

Mentor. Your mentor is a big deal. My mentor and I quickly established a rapport and that meant I could reach out to him for questions all the time. This was essential in my development throughout the course, because that meant I'd have minimal logjams, and additional enrichment on top of an already solid foundation. Considering the pace of the course, this is so, so important.

SUPPORT

You have SO many support avenues at Thinkful. Firstly, throughout the day, you have the TAs. Our TAs were stellar. I'm talking about Elias, Sidharth and Joshua. They're teaching us not only the solution to problems, but how to think about solving problems, and how to think about the bigger picture. Slowly but surely, their problem solving habits become our own, and to be given that skill is important for any uncharted territory that you have to tread later on. My only complaint is that on some days, there would be a significant wait because of students in the queue, but most of the time it wasn't bad at all.

I already covered mentoring so I'll move on.

There's always email and Slack, and folks in the full-time program get back to you within a day at the very most. Often, you get responses instantly. There's also a general "front end web dev" channel where you can post questions, but it's hit-or-miss.

You can also ask questions during the daily workshop (where the instructor is presenting the new material). Or you can catch the instructors before or after the workshop, which I did several times. Or, sometimes instructors would stay and help you well after end-of-day (looking at you Chris Klanac). They are the most knowledgeable in their particular topic and they were pretty easy to get a hold of.

When you get support, everyone's got a positive attitude (which was helpful for my sometimes negative/angry attitude lol). You never feel like you're rushed or wasting someone's time. You never feel punished if you're wrong. You're given help by an intelligent, polite, tactful person that's just trying to get you on board with the day's concepts.

My one major gripe I have with Thinkful are their Q&A sessions. This is like having office hours throughout the day, every day, even on weekends, on several (if not all) topics being taught in the course. In theory this is great, but I encountered firsthand what happens if you aren't aggressive about getting your question answered — sometimes you get cut in line! This is frustrating after waiting for 30+ minutes. I rarely used Q&A after that. It would be a boon if they had a queue function built into the session, and even better, if you were notified when it's your turn so you don't have to sit through a question that isn't relevant to you.

CAREER SERVICES

I was fortunate to get a job days after completing the program, so I didn't get to work with Career Services a lot. But I'll say that the time I did spend with them left me encouraged and feeling positively about the job hunt. I also think it says something about the school that I was able to get a job so quickly after graduation.

WRAP UP

The program isn't easy and you reap what you sow. It's important to understand that no one at Thinkful is going to force you to learn, or force you to work hard. They do a lot to keep you accountable on a daily basis, but ultimately you gotta decide how much you get out of it. There are no tests; there's nothing to keep you in fear of failure or dismissal. But as long as you can work hard every day, you'll be fine, because Thinkful will set you up to succeed.
  • Nick • Frontend Developer • Graduate

I completed the Full Time Web Development course at Thinkful a little over a month ago, and have just been hired as a Frontend Developer at a startup in NYC. The cirriculum and people involved are both fantastic. They very clearly care about the success of their students, and do everything possible to get you hired.

You continue to build applications throughout the coursework, each getting more and more complex, until you have a full sized portfolio to help you get a job. The mentors along the way were excellent, helping with any and all problems I had.

Careeer Services begin after you have completed the course and last until you get a job. With daily and weekly check-ins with a career coach, you are actively working on your approach and job hunt, rather than just sitting around.

It worked for me, and it was work for you too.

I definitely recommend Thinkful to all!

• A Great Experience
    - 10/19/2017
    Paul • Graduate

I enrolled in the Flexible Web Development Bootcamp because I work full time and have family. What I liked about it was it's at your own pace and you aren't forced to graduate by a certain point with half-baked projects. The plan was to make a career change from sales into becoming a web developer. Studied curriculum during 2016, so my viewpoint may be different that what's currently on the program in terms of curriculum. Graduated in 6 months time while dedicating on average 20 hours a week. It took me about 5 months to get a job in the Bay Area after I graduated. DISCLOSURE: Getting a job in the Bay Area out of a bootcamp is VERY HARD! There's a ton of talented competition out here, so bootcampers often get sidelined. Not impossible but difficult. I leveraged my previous experience combined with my new web developer skills to find a job that utilized both.

I came into the program with my feet wet on HTML, CSS, and a little JavaScript. That helped a bit as the curriculum and examples can be difficult to follow at times. A couple of times I took it upon myself to sign up for a $10 Udemy course on the side for specific topics to better my understanding. Curriculum was heavily text based, which is fine but I would have liked some diagrams or videos integrated.

The best part about Thinkful is the mentor program, which is where you meet 3x a week with a personal mentor who's already a web developer to talk through challenges and explore topics. Where the curriculum lacked, the mentor program filled the gap. I loved having my mentor and felt he gave me a wider perspective on what was being taught.

I really enjoyed building capstone projects which are portfolio pieces you'll need to show when job hunting. I probably spent more time that I needed to on some of them but the work paid off.

Career services was excellent and very supportive. They helped keep me on track with job applications and refined my resume and LinkedIn to shine in the best possible light.

The last section of the course focused on Data Structures & Algorithms. Kind of a minor focus in scope compared to the rest of the course but important to know. After finishing the course I took it upon myself to purchase a textbook on the subject and get better at it in prep for interviews.

I would recommend Thinkful to others! Very happy about my experience as a whole.

• Christopher • Student

Thinkful has taken my web development to a whole new level. I studied on my own for 6-8 months and decided I needed more structure. After only 1.5 months I have learned more than the entire time I was doing it on my own. Thinkful’s mentors, program managers, and curriculum are all top notch. The projects Are great at applying what you learn and building up to more advanced concepts. I know I will have a job after completing the course, and I will owe that all to thinkful.

-Chris

-Thinkful Student

• Product Manager
    - 10/11/2017
    Josh Kuhar • Graduate

The best way to learn programming is to build something. With Thinkful, you will build a lot of programs, to the point that you start thinking in larger terms of architecture and code maintainability.

• Jacqui Dow • Lead Analyst, Audience Engagement • Student

I have been around the block in terms of learning basic python learning (in the hopes to get some data science chops): I've dabbled in Code Academy, General Assembly intro classes and a few free resources. The main issue I kept running into is integrating Python skills with Data Science. All other courses out there will teach you basic Python syntax, but getting the context-- how do I use this in real life and to solve data science problems-- is hard to get a grasp on.

Thinkful's prep course is the best introduction to Data Science out there. It teaches you the basics of Python in the context of data science -- so you are learning programming with purpose. The curriculum is well-written, witty, and engaging-- with plenty of opportunity to practice as you go. Though I haven't taken the full bootcamp (I don't feel it's the right time for me right now) I would absolutely go to Thinkful in the future to pursue Data Science further.

With that said, the one area I feel they could improve is the mentorship experience. I realize it's a tough nut to crack--matching the right people together, and quickly-- but there needs to be some more centralized approach to improve quality. For example, my mentor didn't really help guide my Final Project for the prep course based on the criteria that I was being graded on. He coached me through Python issues I was having, but ultimately my project ended up being less "data sciencey" than was expected of me.

• It's going great!
    - 9/18/2017
    Alina • Student

I just started my 7th week with the Thinkful flexible bootcamp, and it has gone smoothly thanks to everything Thinkful has in place. If you're pretty motivated and can hold yourself to a schedule, this is probably the least stressful choice.  My learning is all online and fits my schedule, but the 1-on-1 skype-style meetings with a mentor 3 times per week have helped me to discuss what I'm learning in the correct terms, and how this sort of project would work in a team setting.  It is also great to have someone look at my code and take the time to tell me how it looks, and how I'm doing overall. When I'm stuck in between mentor sessions, there are Q&A video chat sessions I can jump into most hours of the day and run it by a Thinkful programmer.   I imagine this support is what most of my tuition is paying for, and it's been really valuable.
      I've already been encouraged to attend meetups and talk to a career coach, although the real coaching is supposed to start once you've 'graduated' the curriculum. The curriculum wastes no time; it explains only what you need to understand about a subject, but provides great resource links for when you do want more detail. I'll let you know about the job assistance once I get there :)

• Neha Kaura • Full stack dev • Graduate

My experience with Thinkful has turned out to be a very knowledgable one. The curriculum is straightforward and systematic. Interaction with mentors is encouraged. I was looking for a good introduction into the UX design techniques being a full stack developer wanting to get more into design.
    Anna Mendoza is the mentor assigned to me. She has been a great help. We go over each assignment and the next steps in detail. She is always encouraging and goes the extra step to explain a concept.
    To conclude i would recommend anyone looking for a good introduction to the core concepts in user experience to try out thinkful. I do believe the program is expensive and can be made more affordable.

• Robby • Software Engineer • Graduate

Where I am now:

I figured it'd be good to start with where I am now to qualify my review. I currently work at a local 5 year old startup where we build software for other companies. I've been at my current position for about 10 months and have primarily been a mobile developer having done projects in React Native, Swift (ios), and Java (android) with a short time in web with MeteorJS and React.

My Review:

I enrolled in Thinkful's Full-time Web Development Bootcamp 2 years after graduating college with a degree in Architecture. I worked in a call center for a year before that and took 1 programming course (C++) in college in 2010. My experience with Thinkful was overwhelmingly positive and I was able to go from doing random lessons in Codecademy to building full stack web application to now, almost a year later building applications in different languages, working with scripting continuous integration, AWS and etc.

While there are many, many other bootcamps out there, one of the primary reasons I chose Thinkful was their transparency in their statistics and reviews. I saw many, many great reviews but also some mediocre ones which told me they did not censor reviews like I've seen other bootcamps do. I was also part of the second ever cohort and thought that they had a LOT of stake in me as a student. If I failed, they fail -- so it gave me much confidence in their ownership over my success.

The bootcamp is open to people of any and all backgrounds so if you've never coded in your life, you can still enroll in the program. Given this, the curriculum and assistance daily is very good. They provide TAs that are available during the projects and the actual written curriculum is broken down and constantly being improved. The TAs and curriculum writers are also relatively accessible and are able to clarify and assist. On top of that there is a mentor you meet with 4 of 5 weekdays to get more individualized assistance.

Read if you have programming experience: While this is really awesome and allows for you to learn from the very beginning, the curriculum can feel pretty slow at times if you have experience. Because I came in with some programming experience, I felt like the material could move faster and found ourselves finishing early on many of the days. One thing I wish would have been improved is having supplemental material or "challenges" to challenge those who come in with a little experience.

When it comes to the instructors, they're incredibly helpful and dedicated to our success. Not only do they help us with the material and concepts but they instill in us industry standard practices and try and stay on top of what the latest tech trends are. While many bootcamps were still teaching Angular 1.5 and etc. Thinkful saw the trend moving towards React and planned accordingly. The bootcamp has so many mentors from around the world that you can find a mentor for any language or framework you're working on.

When it comes to job assistance, they provide you with a career mentor that helps you build a resume and figure out your job hunting plan. Throughout the bootcamp, they have you do mock technical interviews and help you build your portfolio. My experience with the career mentor was pretty good overall with a couple of hiccups in the beginning. Overall, they provided assistance in helping find a job but really, this portion is on you and your initiative. I was very heavy on networking and applying to just a couple jobs and was able to get two offers within two months of graduating. Thinkful provided mentors and extra coursework to learn different frameworks to prepare for the technical aspects of the interviews.

Overall, I really enjoyed my experience with Thinkful and would recommend anyone to enroll and join the programming world!

• Jeremy S. • Web Developer • Graduate

Nervous and skeptical is how I felt as I approached my first Thinkful intro session.

Could I really learn coding? I didn't know the first thing about HTML or CSS...

Would it be worth the money, time, and energy...?

Now that I've finished, it sort of makes me laugh at all the challenges that I feared would undermine my success. None of them actually happened.

Overall, Thinkful knocked it out of the park for me! Paid work started to become available even before I finished the course.

The #1 reason for my accelerated learning was my 10/10 mentor, W.N. One of the many things he did so well was to figure out where the limites of my knoweldge were, and then he would help guide me to the next step... week after week... month after month. Patient and diligent, he helped accelerate. Honestly, he went way above and beyond the specific terms of the mentor/mentee contact and was clearly personally invested in my learning.

Working together online from the same screen, going over the code, and having someone to guide me right there when I was stuck was invaluable. Mentor sessions were just a lot of fun too. We will be friends for life at this point.

My program manager was another all-star in my time with Thinkful. With every call he had awesome perspective from a few steps beyond that of pure development. He shared about the industry and helped motivate my entrepreneurial under pinnings to help really fan my fires to keep going. Big props to him D.F.

I came in as an online entrepreneur who had built a few wordpress websites for clients in the past. I just felt like there was so much I was missing. I knew nothing about coding, programming, what an API is or even the difference between back and front end development.

After my experience with Thinkful, I feel like a better informed person in this age of the internet. And it's not just about the coding, It's about learning to work collaboratively online and using the tools of the web to build and work through the web.

You can't learn everything from Thinkful, but that's not the point of web dev. It's more about devloping the tools to think about coding and web challenges. Once you have those skills, you can dive into documentation from different tools and technologies of all sorts and you will be better suited to pick up and use all sorts of skills that you had never needed until the next project moved you in that direction.

If you have the ability to commit to a path of study week after week and month after month, your return on investment for your time and energy in Thinkful will be more than worth it.

• Christopher • Student

I am part way through the online program at thinkful.  So far I could not ask for anything more.  The resources and support available to you are awesome.  There is always someone there 24/7 that is able to do their best to help.  I have learned so much in a month and I have quite a bit to go.  It has been awesome so far and look forward to working with career services to find a job!

Thinkful Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Thinkful CIRR report here