practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of four programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Web Developer and UX/UI Design. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $3,000 and $5,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (115) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, SQL, Python
      Start Date May 20, 2021
      Data analysis is a complex and intricate process. It involves collecting and structuring data, formulating and testing hypotheses, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data analysts are essential in business, administration, and science. They work with fundamental tools including Python and its libraries, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data analyst. Over the course of our six-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill Level All you need is a high school education
      May 20, 2021 - Online
    • Data Scientist

Start Date May 20, 2021
      Data science is a complex and intricate field. It involves structuring and analyzing large amounts of data, employing machine learning to make predictions, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data scientists are needed in business, manufacturing, and science. They work with tools such as Python and its libraries, including Scikit-Learn and XGBoost, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data scientist. Over the course of our eight-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
      May 20, 2021 - Online
    • Web Developer

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Node.js, Front End, SQL
      Start Date June 3, 2021
      A web developer is a software engineer who develops websites using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, builds user interfaces with React (a JavaScript library), works as part of a team with Git, and uses Webpack to bundle project files automatically. Web developers understand how web servers work: they can configure Nginx and build a server in Node.js. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior web developer. Over the course of our 10-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you’ll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
      June 3, 2021 - Online
    • Egor Vinogradov • Student
      If you haven’t background in code but you want dive in IT I think this course is good opportunity to start! I hadn’t any background before I started it, any Bachelor or Master in CS. When you start this course you will see that in each lesson has good and precise explanations. If still you have questions you have good community in Slak which happy to help you:) On each stage of the course you will made projects by your own for fixing you new knowledge:) Moreover each 2-3 weeks there are webinars in which you can ask your questions about projects etc. I spend on course 10-12 hours in week and I think that it enough.
    • Andrea DeHart • Student
      I took the intro to data science course. it sounded the most interesting to me of all the intro courses. I really enjoyed taking the intro course. it gave me a good feel of what I was getting into. I didn't realize how long the intro course was when I first took it. I thought it was only going to be a couple of lessons but it was 7 courses with multiple lessons. Everyone was extremely helpful whenever I ran into any issues or needed help with a mistake in my coding.
    • Soon Young Jeoung • Student
      I took the Data Analyst course, and this was so great.
      It was useful to me, and I could learned alot.
      Same type of questions are keep coming up. Also, advisor is keep tracking for how is the processing my course.
      I believe I could learn lots of codes from this course.
      The thing is sometimes hint is little bit hard to understand and weak.
      However, always there is agent who could help me. so send the link then they will help me.
    • Cassandra Cook • Designer • Student
      Thia introductory course in web development is the best time that I've ever taken. It had good real world examples. I'm an experienced web developer and was taught some new techniques. I especially liked their explanation of the box model - with padding, borders, and margins.
    • Ibtehaz Utsay • Student
      Yandex is basically the Google if Russia that provides a much more secure platform. Practicum is one of their initiatives that is well structured and intuitive, whilst making programming skills accessible to everyone with a desire to learn. The teaching experts and support in the slack channel is highly responsive and knowledgeable.
    • Kyle W • Student
      This was my first experience learning about Python, but the Practicum system made it super easy! They made sure to explain how everyone function worked and included great summary sheets at the end of each chapter for easy reference. There were a few frustrating tasks where I had some persistent errors, but that was usually due to a silly mistake on my part than the fault of the program. Overall, I'd highly recommend this course to someone looking to learn about Python and as a springboard to more advanced courses. Also, there was a great community with this where people asked questions and provided feedback.
    • DS course
      - 5/13/2020
      Vladimir • IT-consultant • Student
      A good link between brief theory and instant practice makes you grow faster.
      That's what you can get here.
    • Vy Vuong • Student
      I'm a beta tester for the Practicum by Yandex on the Data Scientist Track. The strengths of the program lie in their real-life data, real-industry data tasks and systematic curriculum. I like the way they stipulate the research question at the beginning of each lesson, then give a summary of how the lesson will help learners decipher that question via data analysis. The big question at the beginning will then be divided into smaller tasks with corresponding data analysis lessons. They wrap up the lesson by pointing out how the learner's progress has helped to answer the question and what the next steps are. I find this process very helpful and exciting since it makes me act as if I was a real data scientist. A special shout-out for the technical support team, teaching assistant and community managers for being so responsive, attentive and friendly (they always put a smiling icon after their explanation/message) to learners' theoretical questions as well as their challenges in coding or keeping up with the learning process. There were some points during the process I thought I could have given up had there not been their timely support and encouragement. There are two things I think the platform can improve to help learners excel more in their work: the use of English language and adding more theories. I am not a native English speaker, sometimes I found it difficult to understand what the instructions are on the platform since their English syntaxes sound unfamiliar to me. I also hope to get more theories on data science. Since it's still in its testing period, I believe the team will soon fix all these bumpy issues and the new generation of learners will have the best learning experience as they can!
    • Ofir • Student
      Practicum by Yandex (the Russian tech giant) is a new platform for learning data science, and has a lot of potential for growth in my opinion.
      While the fact that it's a new platform does mean it still has a few bumps here and there, they are quickly fixed - and the team comes up with new ideas and initiatives for enhancing the learning process.
      The team does their absolute best to be there for you, from the community managers, through the instructors all the way to a dedicated 24/7 support team.
      For an online platform, it has two novel and welcome additions - biweekly (every two weeks is a 'sprint', a learning subject) webinars and personal projects. Those projects, in my opinion, are the highlight of this program - they enable you to express yourself as a data scientist, with constructive, personal feedback.
      In addition, at the end of the program they offer aid landing your first job, but I haven't reached that part yet.

One thing I'm missing a bit is an emphasis on data science theory. But, well - even Practicum's name implies at its dedication for implementation and hands-on experience. In any case, a good data scientist has to know how to find new textbooks and research papers :)
    • I love it!
      - 5/8/2020
      Linda Kovacs • Web Developer and Designer
      I'm a remote freelancer with many years of experience in the field and this year due to Coronavirus I decided to accept an invitation form Women Who Code to become a beta-tester of the Practicum by Yandex platform. I joined the Web Developer Professional Certificate Program.
      When I joined the Program I was convinced that my prior professional experience will make it easy to surf the program. To my surprise, I got overwhelmed with things I thought I was doing great at before like CSS. It’s true I never knew about BEM which blew my mind and at certain point got me confused, it was hard and frustrating.  Code reusability is the the main focus of the Bootcamp. Actually, Practicum curriculum brought me additional value as Developer and Designer to align my knowledge to the latest accessibility and Web standards.
      I thought I will be able to finish easily this course but it is not this way! I got surprised to see that I tripped on the simplest part I considered before the CSS. I was expecting to experience some issues when we get to the algorithms, JavaScript, React, back end parts that are well known to be more challenging even for developers with experience.
      The Program of 9-10 months is based on Sprints that gives you the right tools to use when building the projects every 2-3 weeks. The review process and the projects activities gives you the real world work environment and prepare you to be ready to join any Company’s Developer team at any time. The Sprints are build having in mind the job ready Developers.
      The curriculum is geared to make you build your portfolio of projects by following the original mockup design files. You will collaborate through GitHub using a professional developer's workflow that will help you in your Developer job.
      I don’t have enough words to recommend Practicum by Yandex Curriculum, join today and you will be definitely happy with your choice! Give it a try! https://practicum.yandex.com/
    • Web Development
      - 4/18/2020
      Maria Merk • Student
      This is a beautifully designed course! Everything is very clear and interesting. It was a great pleasure to dive into the study of new knowledge. Thank you!
    • Andrew • Student
      I really enjoy how well written and challenging the course becomes. I have taken other courses and all of them are written to where the user doesn’t have to use their mind. Well here you have to and that makes you a better learner!!!