practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Created by engineers from tech company Yandex, Practicum is a 30-46 week, online coding bootcamp offering tracks in Data Science, Data Analysis, and Web Development and aimed at sparking career change. Each bootcamp includes full access to an interactive online platform, real-life projects, tutor support from experienced developers, code reviews, online webinars, and live-coding sessions. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if a student doesn't secure a position within six months of graduating, Practicum guarantees to refund their money.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma.

With an average employment rate of 71%, Practicum’s career acceleration program provides graduates with the competitive edge they need to succeed. From resume-building to job offer negotiation, Practicum supports their students and graduates every step of the way. Students graduate with professional certificates and portfolios with 6 to 15 projects to show to potential employers. Practicum graduates have landed tech jobs at companies, such as Tesla, Accenture, Nielsen, and Microsoft.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (140) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Analytics , Data Structures, Data Visualization, Python, SQL
      Start Date November 18, 2021
      Over this 6-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of 12 projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from various industries (e-commerce, taxi services, advertising, and more) and are designed to highlight a range of skills relevant to business analytics, hypothesis testing, and presenting results. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
    • Data Scientist

Start Date November 18, 2021
      Over this 9-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of 15+ projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from a range of industries: e-commerce, taxi services, mining, and more. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
    • Web Developer

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, SQL
      Start Date November 18, 2021
      Over this 10-month course, you'll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. You'll work on six real, industry-level projects: a webpage made with HTML & CSS; an adaptive website; an interactive social network; a website built with React, a back-end server using Node.js; and a full-fledged independent web application. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
    • Ivy B. • Student
      Joining the Practicum by Yandex Data Science program was one of the best decisions I have made this year. Right from the introductory course to the full-time program, my entire experience has been excellent. The interactive learning platform contains relevant coursework accompanied with practical tasks. They even have interesting and funny messages that has kept me glued to learning on the platform. One of the things that stands out to me the most is the 24/7 technical support. Anytime I encountered challenges, the support team was always quick to help unblock me.

The people at Practicum are amazing! The community managers care a lot about student's progress and check in often. The tutors, instructors and senior students are very responsive and provide helpful feedback to students via the Slack community and webinars. The program is project-oriented so I get to complete at least one real world project for my portfolio. I also love that the Practicum team is very open to receiving feedback and are constantly looking out for ways to improve the program and student experience.

I'm super excited about the opportunity to study Data Science with Practicum and highly recommend them.
    • Daniel
      I had very minimal prior Python experience (intro course on Coursera) before deciding to enroll in the Practicum introduction course for Data Science. In brief, the introduction course is an amazing way to get your feet wet in the field of data science. The introduction course is well structured and explains topics in a way that can be easily understood. The course also gives a lot of real life examples when explaining concepts and lessons. I think that learning coding can be a bit overwhelming but Practicum introduction course managed to help me gain a lot of confidence with Python very quickly. While enrolled in the introduction course, I was debating between joining Practicum and other 'job guarantee' boot camps but ultimately decided on Practicum because it is much more cost efficient and the support/curriculum has been amazing so far. I would definitely recommend!
    • Derek Schinke • Student
       The Web Developer Course from Practicum by Yandex is well-structured, progressive, and challenging. It starts out from basic concepts of website structure and design through HTML and CSS (with the BEM methodology), adds to it with a crash course in JavaScript, and eventually React, that immediately has you building quality, responsive websites and web apps. By then end, you’ll understand how to build a fully-featured web app in React, in addition to its requisite backend using a MERN stack. Each project builds upon the last, and a sense of progression and accomplishment is felt during every sprint. The Tutors and Senior Students are helpful and very willing to dissect code and guide you at every step. Each two week sprint is divided into a week of exercises, and a week of project building, although this divide is flexible. The time commitment is slightly demanding, so be prepared to spend a decent amount of time working on developing your skills; this definitely isn’t a passive program. Altogether, you can learn how to become a great web developer with Practicum by Yandex.
    • Vy Vuong • Student
      I was offered a full time position as a clinical data analyst last November - Practicum by Yandex contributes greatly to this achievement.

I love the way the team put a lot of effort in developing the content for the data science curriculum. They teach us from basic python syntax to complicated machine learning models, and also help us review mathematic concepts in linear algebra, statistics and probability. I think this is a holistic way to approach data science because you need not only to be able to deploy machine learning models, but you need to understand the math behind them, and to be able to preprocess data before running models.

Another thing I love about the program is the responsiveness of all the team, from tutor to project reviewer to community manager. This make you avoid confusion on your learning journey as much as possible. The fact that they set deadlines for projects and lessons helps us to keep discipline and follow our goal. They are also flexible enough to grant us a few academic leaves if we can't catch up with the space of the whole group because of our busy schedules.

I used a lot of knowledge and skills learned from Practicum to get through job interview and apply for my current job. With these great things, I highly recommend Practicum for those who want to start or switch to Data Science/Analytics career.
    • Zachary Rodriguez • Web Developer • Student
      I had an excellent experience with this program! Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn web development

The curriculum was up to date and well taught. In fact, rather than going to stackexchange or googling for something, I often review my lessons from this class when I can't remember how to do something or am having trouble with the documentation. There's a lot of information available online that covers similar subjects, but the way Yandex presents it is just better. Especially with javascript, a lot of information can be old or outdated examples that use jquery, not the case for Yandex.

They cover basically everything you need to know for the MERN stack:
      • html/css
      • BEM style
      • flexbox/flexgrid
      • javascript es10 (they do an especially good job here)
      • react
      • mongodb
      • mongoose
      • REST api
      • modular programming

The instructors were one of the best parts of the program. I really like the staff and found them very helpful and easy to talk to. You could reach them over slack whenever you are having trouble on a project. Keep in mind, though, that most of them are based in Russia. For me, in Pacific Standard Time, I would usually do my work during the day and send it to be reviewed or to receive feedback if I was having difficulty with the project, and by the next day I would receive feedback from them that I could work on.

If you have anything come up during the course and need to take a leave of absence, the staff is very flexible and accommodating.

The projects were challenging, but their feedback was extremely helpful and even if you have done some programming before you will really improve a lot. There were clear deadlines for projects that were very reasonable.

There were a few lessons on common whiteboarding questions you might be asked during an interview. There was also an optional project for a real company that groups of 3-4 students could work on, which was an excellent learning experience.

Overall this was exactly what I wanted out of a bootcamp program. I especially recommend it for people who have some background in programming already and want to improve, since you will be challenged and they will leave a lot of constructive criticism on your projects. It can also be challenging because it is a lot of information to cover, but the program is long enough to cover it all well, and you can always come back to the course material if you need to review.

• Data Science
      - 2/28/2021
      Deepti • Student
      I always had a keen interest in pursuing my career in the area of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. I was looking for a good, instructor led online course that would enable me to learn and also do hands-on Data Science projects. When I found about the curriculum and learning process of the DataScience Bootcamp by Practicum@Yandex, I immediately enrolled in the program, and I am thankful I DID, because it is an EXCELLENT PROGRAM.

This course consists of online, comprehensive, well planned, highly educational course material with hands-on exercises, challenging hands on projects, collaborative stack of Slack and Notion, and a community of professionals and educators.

This course has enabled me to learn various topics in Data Science (Python, Data Preprocessing, EDA, SDA, AI, ML, Deep Learning, ComputerVision, Supervised Learning, Unsupervised learning and much more). It has increased my curiosity to learn more, boosted my confidence to a level where I am eager to work on new projects in Data Science.   This course also has a web-development part, where we can learn in the web-development introductory courses offered by Practicum @ Yandex.  Everything in ONE place.

The course is very rigorous and used Agile Methodology of Sprints. The active help and 24/7 support from the technical instructors, coaches, administrative staff, and students have made the entire learning a very pleasant and confident process.  The instructors and coaches are very learned, knowledgeable and experienced. They are willing to go above and beyond to enable us to learn more. There are well-planned webinars held to teach new concepts and discuss the projects.

A year ago, Data Science seemed to me a far-reaching goal and I used to wonder  if I could ever do that online. The Practicum @ Yandex Data Science boot-camp has enabled me to reach my goals in less than a year. With their constant guidance and support, I am very optimistic to find a job in the Data Science field.

Thank you all at Practicum @ Yandex.
    • Xia Cui • Student
      I started learning data analytics by doing various small courses online and realised this is the kind of career path I want to pursue. Then I want to engage in some more comprehensive, intense, but also practical learning to develop and consolidate my skills. That's when I found Practicum by Yandex among all the bootcamps available online.

I picked Yandex based on others' reviews and I'm extremely glad with this decision. I feel so enjoyed the course and every aspect of it: the platform, the tasks, the design, the flow, the support. I can't say enough good things about the course and still can't believe I get so much for what I pay.

I'm half way in my data analytics course and excited with each new chapter and task. The learning offered by Practicum suits me perfect. There are also plenty of additional resources offered which i really appreciate. The tutors have been great and so helpful too.

What I'm really impressed is how prompt the platform online support is. Whenever I got stuck with a task, I sent an inquiry via the platform tech support, the response is almost straightaway, despite all the time differences. Wow. that's impressive, and super helpful!

As i said, I can't say enough good things about the course. Anymore will make me sound like a sales person. haha!  Highly recommended!
    • Great experience
      - 2/17/2021
      Elizaveta Gorbunova • Student
      I am studying at Practicum by Yandex for half a year now and I am going to finish my course soon. I've enjoyed my Data Analytics course and I am inspired for further work. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone, cause it has a  complex approach to studies. You get well-structured theory, practice, real projects, guidance, tips on soft skills, communication with mentors and peers. This is a top quality program.
      Of course, nothing is ideal and there were some annoying moments, for example, some bugs on the platform. But they were really minor and did not spoil the overall experience.
      In conclusion, I'd like to add, that knowing how to work with data is essential in today's world. Data is the essence of knowledge, science and development.
    • Data Scientist
      - 2/17/2021
      Jay Gentry • Student
      I loved my experience! They made learning feel easy. Any time I ran into a road block I contacted support and got help quickly, as they were really responsive. The structure of the curriculum was challenging in a good way. It helps you build skills to learn for yourself instead of just the simple read and review tutorial of other bootcamps. I loved practicum by yandex so much I am considering going back for one of there other boot camps in the future!
    • Data Science
      - 2/15/2021
      Vladimir Gurevich • Student
       I started the full data scientist course by Practicum in 2020. It's a good solid course with slack/webinars and etc. ways of communication. They provide a platform for tasks and during each sprint need to finish a project.

THIS REVIEW IS HELPFUL0
    • Web Developer
      - 2/12/2021
      Pinwei Wu • Graduate
      I really like Practicum offers hand on experience at coding. Though I self learned some coding before the program but never feel like I could break into the field. In Practicum web developer program, I not only learned the coding skill, but also the way how developer works. I am especially impressed by the hard working code reviewers. My coding structures and logic improved every time I got back my feedback. I now can build websites on a scratch all by myself, feel confident and am finally ready. Highly recommended!
    • Mirjana Grkovska • Student
      In the end of November, I decided to enroll for the Practicum by Yandex Data Science bootcamp. I started the introductory course and I got hooked. So much, that I completed the first three chapters in 2 days. It did not take me long either to complete the rest 5 chapters of the course. It was not my knowledge and skills that enabled me to finish everything in such a short time, but the interesting content, and the help of the Yandex team. I must say that is not the first time I am doing online Python lessons, but it is the first time where I feel challenged (rather than discouraged) to solve tasks and problems. I really like the concise content of the lessons - structured around solving a particular problem and I love the message window that pops up after getting the right solution. How well thought that these messages are not saying the same thing over and over again, such as 'Correct' or 'Well done', but they make reference to the topic I study at that moment and summarize the results in a creative way. These messages put smile on my face. I also like that there are diverse range of examples for the tasks, so there is something of interest for everyone (regardless whether you are a movie fan, marketing analyst, or social media devote, there is something you have knowledge on, so that motivates you more to solve the tasks and see what the results are). In addition, I feel that I am part of a great community that is always there to help. I have asked for help on fb, on slack, directly on the learning platform and the whole team is so friendly and makes me feel that I am not bothering them and that they are always available for the students. I am so excited about everything on this course, that I find myself studying late at night, or whenever I find a free time during my day job. I genuinely enjoy my learning journey with Yandex. Thank you Yandex team, you are all wonderful!