practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of three programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst and Web Developer. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $3,000 and $5,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.83

all (124) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

SQL, Python, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Analytics
      Start Date August 19, 2021
      Over this 6-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of 12 projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from various industries (e-commerce, taxi services, advertising, and more) and are designed to highlight a range of skills relevant to business analytics, hypothesis testing, and presenting results. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
    • Data Scientist

Start Date August 19, 2021
      Over this 9-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of 15+ projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from a range of industries: e-commerce, taxi services, mining, and more. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
    • Web Developer

SQL, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, Front End, CSS
      Start Date August 19, 2021
      Over this 10-month course, you'll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. You'll work on six real, industry-level projects: a webpage made with HTML & CSS; an adaptive website; an interactive social network; a website built with React, a back-end server using Node.js; and a full-fledged independent web application. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
    • Maurice Ellis  User Photo
      Maurice Ellis Verified via GitHub
      I was nervous about signing up for a bootcamp because after reading about them, many seemed to not have much depth nor prepare you to truly be a data scientist. I was already diving in to data science by watching YouTube videos and reading articles, but I wanted to know more than just writing or copying lines of code, so before I signed up I looked at outline of topics and I was surprised that it dove into a wide range of topics and more important, statistics and linear algebra. I wanted a deep understand of what I was doing and why we use one regression formula over another one.

With Practicum, I feel that I have not only wrote the code, but understand what I am doing and why. Practicum not only provides theory, but provides exercises to complete to better grasps the concepts learns. What makes it better, it uses real life data that is relatable in the real world. Even better, when I have a question or confused on a concept, there is a instructor and other peers who can answer my question. One thing I really love is the projects, this is where we open up a Jupyter Notebook and do everything for ourselves to answer the questions posed for the assignment. We process the data, we analyze the data, and draw conclusions. Our projects are then code reviewed to make sure we have accomplished the task at hand and have drawn the right conclusion. Nothing else to say, other than I love it.
    • Daniel Garcia  User Photo
      Daniel Garcia • Data Analyst - Alpha Tester • Student Verified via GitHub

As an alpha tester for the Practicum by Yandex Data Analyst professional program I can attest to the strength of the program’s quality in teaching you how to think and apply the skills required to be an effective data analyst.  The strength of their program even at their early stage of development comes at no surprise to me as the company is one of the leading IT companies in Europe. In regards to the program, I like the sprint-like approach that they take to learning wherein you have two weeks to complete the lessons, coding tasks, and projects associated with each course (ie. Data Preprocessing, A/B tests, etc.). I have found this very helpful because it has made me into a more efficient learner while seeing progress in my learning.
             I also like the support structure that Yandex creates for its programs. Whenever I have trouble with a coding task/project or need help grasping some of the theories, I can always reach out to my peers, tutor, or 24/7 learning support via Slack. This along with the biweekly webinar has been very helpful because most of the topics are new to me as a psychology major. In regards to the projects--my personal highlight of the program-- they provide you with enough tips to be able to independently complete the project using the approach and learning that was taught in the course lessons. These are later checked and provided with constructive feedback by professionals in the field (in my case Data Analyst). Top it off with the job support that they provide after finishing the program and this program becomes one of the top (and relatively cheap) technical boot camps out there.
             All in all, the hands-on and sprint-like learning approach, as well as the support system that makes up the  Practicum by Yandex courses, make it a top-boot camp that anyone wanting to enter into tech should strongly consider taking. Personally, I’ve developed a deeper understanding of the data analyst field and substantially developed my coding and problem-solving skills through this program.

• Mabel  User Photo
      Mabel • Student Verified via GitHub
      I started this program 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier with the structure and the curriculum. The program is 10 months long and it covers both front and backend technology needed to become a web developer. The curriculum starts with a free introductory course on HTLM and CSS then progresses to more advance topics in HTML and CSS, JavaScript, React and Node. The work is completed in two weeks sprints. Every two weeks a number of lectures and exercises become available followed by an independent project assignment. Each project is reviewed by an experienced developer who will ensure your project uses best coding practices. In the end you have will have a professional project to add to your portfolio.

In addition to the curriculum, I like the community aspect of the program. There are tutors and a slack group for students. There's also bi-weekly live coding lessons where students have the opportunity to ask questions regarding the project work.

I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who wants to learn web development. Since this is a longer program, students really get a chance to learn the material covered and practice using real developer tools such as Figma, Git and Github. Definitely give this program a try!
    • Learn by doing
      - 5/10/2020
      Adam  User Photo
      Adam • Student Verified via GitHub
      I'm freshman in coding. I learned basics on different platforms, and I felt it wasn't enough.
      I've accidentally started Yandex Practicum course, and from the first lesson (okey, from the 10-15th , cause these were too simple for me), I've understood I'm on the right way. I feel confident in learning Data Analytics course. Anytime I may ask mentors or other students in our chat for help. I face a lot of difficulties every time I open the course, or when I do practise by analysing any dataset I can found in the Web, but I don't give up. During the course I've learn how to make mistakes, and how to use it as strengths.
      I love tasks we solve during the course. Most of the tasks are taken from real-life. I don't feel I just solve an exercise from a book, I feel I participate in research in a company, and do my job. For me, this "atmosphere" means a lot. It encourages me to keep studying.
      Curriculum in general, is done good, but sometimes (if you've done previous chapter too fast), you have to wait for an access to a new one for a couple of days (up to week). Webinars are held in the morning, New York Time, and it is early evening in Europe / Middle East. However, we had an interesting webinar, that was at 7 pm., New York time (in Israel in was 3 am). Once, but still.
      Instructors are really friendly and helpful. They available and answer almost anytime we write them. They always send us additional material, show different ways to solve a task, and share stories from data analytics world.
      I am very glad I've started this course. Thanks to Yandex Team, I feel tremendous interest in Data Analysis and coding with Python.

• James Ryan  User Photo
      James Ryan • Student Verified via GitHub
      I've been taking part in the Web Developer course since February and I've been blown away by the level of support I've received from both mentors, code reviewers and fellow students in the Slack group. Prior to this course I was studying from free resources in my spare time and generally just going it alone. After a few months I started feeling directionless and like I had reached a plateau - I was ready to throw the towel in.

Joining the course changed all that. I feel like I'm part of something bigger than me and it's great. If I ever need help all I need to do is ask the mentors or other students for help. When I submit my code for review I get constructive feedback as to what can be improved and links to resources that will help me improve.

I have levelled up so much due to this and it's the best course I've done by far. Can't wait to see what the next 6-7 months bring!
    • Makenzie • Student
      Valuable and challenging coursework that continued to push me forward in learning. The tutors are always there to help with unblocking you during your studies. The projects are modeled from real-world scenarios which made them quite interesting to work on and solve. It's been a rewarding experience for me, and I hope to complete the final project in the next two weeks!

If you are interested in pursuing a data science certificate, I would highly encourage you to check out Practicum by Yandex!
    • Xiao Zhong • Student
      I started Practicum's free introductory web developer course as part of the Women Who Code X Practicum by Yandex scholarship and I absolutely loved it!

The platform is highly engaging and simulates a real work setting. I like how the theory part is followed immediately by a hands-on coding task as practice. I also like how the platform is linear - you cannot proceed to the next section/topic unless you finish all previous sections. This addressed my problem of unstructured self-study and puts me in a structured roadmap with the correct order of learning.

I also like the fact that the official program is organized in two-week sprints spanning a total of 10 months, with a  final project at the end of each sprint. I haven't gotten far enough to do any project yet, but knowing that I will be able to receive customized feedback from professional reviewers on my projects further motivates me to treat each project seriously.

The best part of my experience is the supportive Slack community and the live coding sessions/webinars hosted by tutors. This complements the self-paced study on the platform. Everyone I have interacted with so far - community managers Ramil and Iuliia, our tutor Nadya, and my fellow cohort-mates -  are absolutely amazing. I am looking forward to learning and becoming friends with everybody :)
    • Rohit Kumar • Student
      Before joining Practicum I tried various other platforms for web development and Came to know that entirely video based tutorials are not for me where I was just following along and get a little opportunity to learn. While the Practicum has it's own platform where you can learn and apply. later on you need to make the projects using the information you learned. The platform they are using is user friendly and very well maintained. I am currently a student and it looks promising so far. Their career support and community support is excellent throughout and I like the continuous feedback from members of the team, not to forget the code review process is quick and detailed so you can improve your work. I definitely Practicum recommend to anyone who wants to learn Development from scratch.
    • Ivy B. • Student
      Joining the Practicum by Yandex Data Science program was one of the best decisions I have made this year. Right from the introductory course to the full-time program, my entire experience has been excellent. The interactive learning platform contains relevant coursework accompanied with practical tasks. They even have interesting and funny messages that has kept me glued to learning on the platform. One of the things that stands out to me the most is the 24/7 technical support. Anytime I encountered challenges, the support team was always quick to help unblock me.

The people at Practicum are amazing! The community managers care a lot about student's progress and check in often. The tutors, instructors and senior students are very responsive and provide helpful feedback to students via the Slack community and webinars. The program is project-oriented so I get to complete at least one real world project for my portfolio. I also love that the Practicum team is very open to receiving feedback and are constantly looking out for ways to improve the program and student experience.

I'm super excited about the opportunity to study Data Science with Practicum and highly recommend them.
    • Daniel
      I had very minimal prior Python experience (intro course on Coursera) before deciding to enroll in the Practicum introduction course for Data Science. In brief, the introduction course is an amazing way to get your feet wet in the field of data science. The introduction course is well structured and explains topics in a way that can be easily understood. The course also gives a lot of real life examples when explaining concepts and lessons. I think that learning coding can be a bit overwhelming but Practicum introduction course managed to help me gain a lot of confidence with Python very quickly. While enrolled in the introduction course, I was debating between joining Practicum and other 'job guarantee' boot camps but ultimately decided on Practicum because it is much more cost efficient and the support/curriculum has been amazing so far. I would definitely recommend!
    • Derek Schinke • Student
       The Web Developer Course from Practicum by Yandex is well-structured, progressive, and challenging. It starts out from basic concepts of website structure and design through HTML and CSS (with the BEM methodology), adds to it with a crash course in JavaScript, and eventually React, that immediately has you building quality, responsive websites and web apps. By then end, you’ll understand how to build a fully-featured web app in React, in addition to its requisite backend using a MERN stack. Each project builds upon the last, and a sense of progression and accomplishment is felt during every sprint. The Tutors and Senior Students are helpful and very willing to dissect code and guide you at every step. Each two week sprint is divided into a week of exercises, and a week of project building, although this divide is flexible. The time commitment is slightly demanding, so be prepared to spend a decent amount of time working on developing your skills; this definitely isn’t a passive program. Altogether, you can learn how to become a great web developer with Practicum by Yandex.
    • Vy Vuong • Student
      I was offered a full time position as a clinical data analyst last November - Practicum by Yandex contributes greatly to this achievement.

I love the way the team put a lot of effort in developing the content for the data science curriculum. They teach us from basic python syntax to complicated machine learning models, and also help us review mathematic concepts in linear algebra, statistics and probability. I think this is a holistic way to approach data science because you need not only to be able to deploy machine learning models, but you need to understand the math behind them, and to be able to preprocess data before running models.

Another thing I love about the program is the responsiveness of all the team, from tutor to project reviewer to community manager. This make you avoid confusion on your learning journey as much as possible. The fact that they set deadlines for projects and lessons helps us to keep discipline and follow our goal. They are also flexible enough to grant us a few academic leaves if we can't catch up with the space of the whole group because of our busy schedules.

I used a lot of knowledge and skills learned from Practicum to get through job interview and apply for my current job. With these great things, I highly recommend Practicum for those who want to start or switch to Data Science/Analytics career.