practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of three programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst, and Web Developer. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $1,200 and $2,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (82) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, SQL, Python
      Start Date December 3, 2020
      Data analysis is a complex and intricate process. It involves collecting and structuring data, formulating and testing hypotheses, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data analysts are essential in business, administration, and science. They work with fundamental tools including Python and its libraries, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data analyst. Over the course of our six-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill Level All you need is a high school education
    • Data Scientist

Start Date December 3, 2020
      Data science is a complex and intricate field. It involves structuring and analyzing large amounts of data, employing machine learning to make predictions, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data scientists are needed in business, manufacturing, and science. They work with tools such as Python and its libraries, including Scikit-Learn and XGBoost, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data scientist. Over the course of our eight-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Web Developer

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Node.js, Front End, SQL
      Start Date December 3, 2020
      A web developer is a software engineer who develops websites using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, builds user interfaces with React (a JavaScript library), works as part of a team with Git, and uses Webpack to bundle project files automatically. Web developers understand how web servers work: they can configure Nginx and build a server in Node.js. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior web developer. Over the course of our 10-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you’ll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Lindsey Naylor • Student
      I’ve been a student in Practicum’s full Data Scientist course for a little while now and man is it a lot of information. As a recent graduate with a degree in Data Analytics, I’m well aware of the scope of this industry right now (Unsupervised vs Supervised Learning, Data Warehousing, Networking, Text Analysis, Machine Learning, the list goes on!). There is simply so much material out there that it is difficult to know where to start. Peer to peer, I’ll be honest. This course requires a tremendous investment of time, more so for those completely new to the material, and potentially more than the developers have suggested. That said, it is also the best course I’ve found on the market today. Not only do you have exclusive access to collaborative community channels, you have 24/7 live support from the Practicum team, opportunities for one-on-one help with your tutor, and a multitude of supplemental resources to help you along your journey. Let me be clear, this is a boot camp course. It is intense. It is hard and it will test you. I’m not personally done with my course yet, but I have already gained so much already, some of which I’ve added to my resume. I wholeheartedly recommend this course and please feel free to reach out to me if you’d like more information.
    • Data Analyst Track
      - 8/24/2020
      Kuldeep Changia • Advanced Business Analyst • Applicant
      I recently completed the first phase of the Data Analyst course using Python at Practicum by Yandex as a beta tester.

Considering the fact that my track record of starting numerous courses across various platforms always ended up with me leaving the course mid-way for some reason or the other. (Read laziness and procastination)

Yandex, was a totally diffrent experience for 3 main reasons:

1) Deadlines: Considering each of the modules have a 2 week deadline attached to it, this sense of urgency actually helped a lazy person like me. However, there are options available in case you miss these deadlines but still having a sword above my head helped 😃

2) Projects: Besides the regular lessons,  there is a project that needs to be done for each sprint, Also at the end of any particular phase an integrated project awaits you that tests in amalgation all that you have learnt across the various sprints. Each of the project is checked and reviewed by tutors with comments to improve

3) Tutoring and Slack Community: there is a super amazing  slack channel and a very well versed group of professional tutors at your disposal to help you understand concepts and guide you whenever you are stuck.

I can't thank these guys enough! A great experience so far!
       #datascience #python

• Yael • Student
      * The material is very structured with great examples that make it clear and easy to learn.
      * The team makes it feel like home, always trying to assist with various issues and helping you to get through your track.
      * You can start practicing immediately in the course platform, and work on your projects - the installation of the workspace on your PC is not a barrier! you can deal with it later.
      * The course takes you step-by-step with small amounts of theory and small tasks - a great thing if you deal with concentration difficulties!
      * There's practicing from the very begining, you code nice stuff before you notice
      * All the topics you need for your projects are covered in the course texts, no need to drown in a sea of information - you'll know what to search for.
      * Very organized forum for questions about tasks which makes it easy to find what you need quickly.
      * All the necessary material is textual, the videos are usually just a bonus - a great advantage if you are the type of person that loves texts and despises videos like me :)

Besides that, I think you'll need to develop a good coding style on your own, and search for efficient and aesthetic ways to implement your code. I came to this course with some experience in Python coding and with a BSc in electrical engineering, but I don't think that's necessary for studying.
    • Egor Vinogradov • Student
      If you haven’t background in code but you want dive in IT I think this course is good opportunity to start! I hadn’t any background before I started it, any Bachelor or Master in CS. When you start this course you will see that in each lesson has good and precise explanations. If still you have questions you have good community in Slak which happy to help you:) On each stage of the course you will made projects by your own for fixing you new knowledge:) Moreover each 2-3 weeks there are webinars in which you can ask your questions about projects etc. I spend on course 10-12 hours in week and I think that it enough.
    • Andrea DeHart • Student
      I took the intro to data science course. it sounded the most interesting to me of all the intro courses. I really enjoyed taking the intro course. it gave me a good feel of what I was getting into. I didn't realize how long the intro course was when I first took it. I thought it was only going to be a couple of lessons but it was 7 courses with multiple lessons. Everyone was extremely helpful whenever I ran into any issues or needed help with a mistake in my coding.
    • Soon Young Jeoung • Student
      I took the Data Analyst course, and this was so great.
      It was useful to me, and I could learned alot.
      Same type of questions are keep coming up. Also, advisor is keep tracking for how is the processing my course.
      I believe I could learn lots of codes from this course.
      The thing is sometimes hint is little bit hard to understand and weak.
      However, always there is agent who could help me. so send the link then they will help me.
    • Cassandra Cook • Designer • Student
      Thia introductory course in web development is the best time that I've ever taken. It had good real world examples. I'm an experienced web developer and was taught some new techniques. I especially liked their explanation of the box model - with padding, borders, and margins.
    • Ibtehaz Utsay • Student
      Yandex is basically the Google if Russia that provides a much more secure platform. Practicum is one of their initiatives that is well structured and intuitive, whilst making programming skills accessible to everyone with a desire to learn. The teaching experts and support in the slack channel is highly responsive and knowledgeable.
    • Kyle W • Student
      This was my first experience learning about Python, but the Practicum system made it super easy! They made sure to explain how everyone function worked and included great summary sheets at the end of each chapter for easy reference. There were a few frustrating tasks where I had some persistent errors, but that was usually due to a silly mistake on my part than the fault of the program. Overall, I'd highly recommend this course to someone looking to learn about Python and as a springboard to more advanced courses. Also, there was a great community with this where people asked questions and provided feedback.
    • DS course
      - 5/13/2020
      Vladimir • IT-consultant • Student
      A good link between brief theory and instant practice makes you grow faster.
      That's what you can get here.
    • Vy Vuong • Student
      I'm a beta tester for the Practicum by Yandex on the Data Scientist Track. The strengths of the program lie in their real-life data, real-industry data tasks and systematic curriculum. I like the way they stipulate the research question at the beginning of each lesson, then give a summary of how the lesson will help learners decipher that question via data analysis. The big question at the beginning will then be divided into smaller tasks with corresponding data analysis lessons. They wrap up the lesson by pointing out how the learner's progress has helped to answer the question and what the next steps are. I find this process very helpful and exciting since it makes me act as if I was a real data scientist. A special shout-out for the technical support team, teaching assistant and community managers for being so responsive, attentive and friendly (they always put a smiling icon after their explanation/message) to learners' theoretical questions as well as their challenges in coding or keeping up with the learning process. There were some points during the process I thought I could have given up had there not been their timely support and encouragement. There are two things I think the platform can improve to help learners excel more in their work: the use of English language and adding more theories. I am not a native English speaker, sometimes I found it difficult to understand what the instructions are on the platform since their English syntaxes sound unfamiliar to me. I also hope to get more theories on data science. Since it's still in its testing period, I believe the team will soon fix all these bumpy issues and the new generation of learners will have the best learning experience as they can!
    • Ofir • Student
      Practicum by Yandex (the Russian tech giant) is a new platform for learning data science, and has a lot of potential for growth in my opinion.
      While the fact that it's a new platform does mean it still has a few bumps here and there, they are quickly fixed - and the team comes up with new ideas and initiatives for enhancing the learning process.
      The team does their absolute best to be there for you, from the community managers, through the instructors all the way to a dedicated 24/7 support team.
      For an online platform, it has two novel and welcome additions - biweekly (every two weeks is a 'sprint', a learning subject) webinars and personal projects. Those projects, in my opinion, are the highlight of this program - they enable you to express yourself as a data scientist, with constructive, personal feedback.
      In addition, at the end of the program they offer aid landing your first job, but I haven't reached that part yet.

One thing I'm missing a bit is an emphasis on data science theory. But, well - even Practicum's name implies at its dedication for implementation and hands-on experience. In any case, a good data scientist has to know how to find new textbooks and research papers :)