practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of four programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Web Developer and UX/UI Design. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $3,000 and $5,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.81

all (105) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, SQL, Python
      Start Date April 22, 2021
      Data analysis is a complex and intricate process. It involves collecting and structuring data, formulating and testing hypotheses, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data analysts are essential in business, administration, and science. They work with fundamental tools including Python and its libraries, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data analyst. Over the course of our six-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill Level All you need is a high school education
    • Data Scientist

Start Date April 22, 2021
      Data science is a complex and intricate field. It involves structuring and analyzing large amounts of data, employing machine learning to make predictions, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data scientists are needed in business, manufacturing, and science. They work with tools such as Python and its libraries, including Scikit-Learn and XGBoost, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data scientist. Over the course of our eight-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • UX/UI Design

Design, User Experience Design
      Our UX/UI Design course is here to help you navigate the world of user-oriented and inclusive design. Good design doesn't start with a nice-looking product, but rather a user's convenience and a great experience using it. Human-centric approach and attention to detail are key in being a great designer. The course is divided into 2-week, 20-hour-per-week sprints featuring several large-scale projects you will get to design from scratch that'll land in your portfolio. Our tutors will run group critique sessions, soft skills workshops, sprint kick-offs, and retrospective meetings to discuss any unanswered questions and share real-life design expertise. Also, a team of experienced designers will be supporting you for six months after graduation by providing networking opportunities, setting up mock job interviews, helping refine your portfolio, and telling you what to expect from potential employers.
      Minimum Skill Level All you need is a high school education
    • Web Developer

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Node.js, Front End, SQL
      Start Date April 22, 2021
      A web developer is a software engineer who develops websites using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, builds user interfaces with React (a JavaScript library), works as part of a team with Git, and uses Webpack to bundle project files automatically. Web developers understand how web servers work: they can configure Nginx and build a server in Node.js. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior web developer. Over the course of our 10-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you’ll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Daniel Garcia  User Photo
      Daniel Garcia • Data Analyst - Alpha Tester • Student Verified via GitHub

As an alpha tester for the Practicum by Yandex Data Analyst professional program I can attest to the strength of the program’s quality in teaching you how to think and apply the skills required to be an effective data analyst.  The strength of their program even at their early stage of development comes at no surprise to me as the company is one of the leading IT companies in Europe. In regards to the program, I like the sprint-like approach that they take to learning wherein you have two weeks to complete the lessons, coding tasks, and projects associated with each course (ie. Data Preprocessing, A/B tests, etc.). I have found this very helpful because it has made me into a more efficient learner while seeing progress in my learning.
             I also like the support structure that Yandex creates for its programs. Whenever I have trouble with a coding task/project or need help grasping some of the theories, I can always reach out to my peers, tutor, or 24/7 learning support via Slack. This along with the biweekly webinar has been very helpful because most of the topics are new to me as a psychology major. In regards to the projects--my personal highlight of the program-- they provide you with enough tips to be able to independently complete the project using the approach and learning that was taught in the course lessons. These are later checked and provided with constructive feedback by professionals in the field (in my case Data Analyst). Top it off with the job support that they provide after finishing the program and this program becomes one of the top (and relatively cheap) technical boot camps out there.
             All in all, the hands-on and sprint-like learning approach, as well as the support system that makes up the  Practicum by Yandex courses, make it a top-boot camp that anyone wanting to enter into tech should strongly consider taking. Personally, I’ve developed a deeper understanding of the data analyst field and substantially developed my coding and problem-solving skills through this program.

• Mabel  User Photo
      Mabel • Student Verified via GitHub
      I started this program 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier with the structure and the curriculum. The program is 10 months long and it covers both front and backend technology needed to become a web developer. The curriculum starts with a free introductory course on HTLM and CSS then progresses to more advance topics in HTML and CSS, JavaScript, React and Node. The work is completed in two weeks sprints. Every two weeks a number of lectures and exercises become available followed by an independent project assignment. Each project is reviewed by an experienced developer who will ensure your project uses best coding practices. In the end you have will have a professional project to add to your portfolio.

In addition to the curriculum, I like the community aspect of the program. There are tutors and a slack group for students. There's also bi-weekly live coding lessons where students have the opportunity to ask questions regarding the project work.

I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who wants to learn web development. Since this is a longer program, students really get a chance to learn the material covered and practice using real developer tools such as Figma, Git and Github. Definitely give this program a try!
    • Learn by doing
      - 5/10/2020
      Adam  User Photo
      Adam • Student Verified via GitHub
      I'm freshman in coding. I learned basics on different platforms, and I felt it wasn't enough.
      I've accidentally started Yandex Practicum course, and from the first lesson (okey, from the 10-15th , cause these were too simple for me), I've understood I'm on the right way. I feel confident in learning Data Analytics course. Anytime I may ask mentors or other students in our chat for help. I face a lot of difficulties every time I open the course, or when I do practise by analysing any dataset I can found in the Web, but I don't give up. During the course I've learn how to make mistakes, and how to use it as strengths.
      I love tasks we solve during the course. Most of the tasks are taken from real-life. I don't feel I just solve an exercise from a book, I feel I participate in research in a company, and do my job. For me, this "atmosphere" means a lot. It encourages me to keep studying.
      Curriculum in general, is done good, but sometimes (if you've done previous chapter too fast), you have to wait for an access to a new one for a couple of days (up to week). Webinars are held in the morning, New York Time, and it is early evening in Europe / Middle East. However, we had an interesting webinar, that was at 7 pm., New York time (in Israel in was 3 am). Once, but still.
      Instructors are really friendly and helpful. They available and answer almost anytime we write them. They always send us additional material, show different ways to solve a task, and share stories from data analytics world.
      I am very glad I've started this course. Thanks to Yandex Team, I feel tremendous interest in Data Analysis and coding with Python.

• James Ryan  User Photo
      James Ryan • Student Verified via GitHub
      I've been taking part in the Web Developer course since February and I've been blown away by the level of support I've received from both mentors, code reviewers and fellow students in the Slack group. Prior to this course I was studying from free resources in my spare time and generally just going it alone. After a few months I started feeling directionless and like I had reached a plateau - I was ready to throw the towel in.

Joining the course changed all that. I feel like I'm part of something bigger than me and it's great. If I ever need help all I need to do is ask the mentors or other students for help. When I submit my code for review I get constructive feedback as to what can be improved and links to resources that will help me improve.

I have levelled up so much due to this and it's the best course I've done by far. Can't wait to see what the next 6-7 months bring!
    • Vy Vuong • Student
      I was offered a full time position as a clinical data analyst last November - Practicum by Yandex contributes greatly to this achievement.

I love the way the team put a lot of effort in developing the content for the data science curriculum. They teach us from basic python syntax to complicated machine learning models, and also help us review mathematic concepts in linear algebra, statistics and probability. I think this is a holistic way to approach data science because you need not only to be able to deploy machine learning models, but you need to understand the math behind them, and to be able to preprocess data before running models.

Another thing I love about the program is the responsiveness of all the team, from tutor to project reviewer to community manager. This make you avoid confusion on your learning journey as much as possible. The fact that they set deadlines for projects and lessons helps us to keep discipline and follow our goal. They are also flexible enough to grant us a few academic leaves if we can't catch up with the space of the whole group because of our busy schedules.

I used a lot of knowledge and skills learned from Practicum to get through job interview and apply for my current job. With these great things, I highly recommend Practicum for those who want to start or switch to Data Science/Analytics career.
    • Zachary Rodriguez • Web Developer • Student
      I had an excellent experience with this program! Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn web development

The curriculum was up to date and well taught. In fact, rather than going to stackexchange or googling for something, I often review my lessons from this class when I can't remember how to do something or am having trouble with the documentation. There's a lot of information available online that covers similar subjects, but the way Yandex presents it is just better. Especially with javascript, a lot of information can be old or outdated examples that use jquery, not the case for Yandex.

They cover basically everything you need to know for the MERN stack:
      • html/css
      • BEM style
      • flexbox/flexgrid
      • javascript es10 (they do an especially good job here)
      • react
      • mongodb
      • mongoose
      • REST api
      • modular programming

The instructors were one of the best parts of the program. I really like the staff and found them very helpful and easy to talk to. You could reach them over slack whenever you are having trouble on a project. Keep in mind, though, that most of them are based in Russia. For me, in Pacific Standard Time, I would usually do my work during the day and send it to be reviewed or to receive feedback if I was having difficulty with the project, and by the next day I would receive feedback from them that I could work on.

If you have anything come up during the course and need to take a leave of absence, the staff is very flexible and accommodating.

The projects were challenging, but their feedback was extremely helpful and even if you have done some programming before you will really improve a lot. There were clear deadlines for projects that were very reasonable.

There were a few lessons on common whiteboarding questions you might be asked during an interview. There was also an optional project for a real company that groups of 3-4 students could work on, which was an excellent learning experience.

Overall this was exactly what I wanted out of a bootcamp program. I especially recommend it for people who have some background in programming already and want to improve, since you will be challenged and they will leave a lot of constructive criticism on your projects. It can also be challenging because it is a lot of information to cover, but the program is long enough to cover it all well, and you can always come back to the course material if you need to review.

• Data Science
      - 2/28/2021
      Deepti • Student
      I always had a keen interest in pursuing my career in the area of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. I was looking for a good, instructor led online course that would enable me to learn and also do hands-on Data Science projects. When I found about the curriculum and learning process of the DataScience Bootcamp by Practicum@Yandex, I immediately enrolled in the program, and I am thankful I DID, because it is an EXCELLENT PROGRAM.

This course consists of online, comprehensive, well planned, highly educational course material with hands-on exercises, challenging hands on projects, collaborative stack of Slack and Notion, and a community of professionals and educators.

This course has enabled me to learn various topics in Data Science (Python, Data Preprocessing, EDA, SDA, AI, ML, Deep Learning, ComputerVision, Supervised Learning, Unsupervised learning and much more). It has increased my curiosity to learn more, boosted my confidence to a level where I am eager to work on new projects in Data Science.   This course also has a web-development part, where we can learn in the web-development introductory courses offered by Practicum @ Yandex.  Everything in ONE place.

The course is very rigorous and used Agile Methodology of Sprints. The active help and 24/7 support from the technical instructors, coaches, administrative staff, and students have made the entire learning a very pleasant and confident process.  The instructors and coaches are very learned, knowledgeable and experienced. They are willing to go above and beyond to enable us to learn more. There are well-planned webinars held to teach new concepts and discuss the projects.

A year ago, Data Science seemed to me a far-reaching goal and I used to wonder  if I could ever do that online. The Practicum @ Yandex Data Science boot-camp has enabled me to reach my goals in less than a year. With their constant guidance and support, I am very optimistic to find a job in the Data Science field.

Thank you all at Practicum @ Yandex.
    • Xia Cui • Student
      I started learning data analytics by doing various small courses online and realised this is the kind of career path I want to pursue. Then I want to engage in some more comprehensive, intense, but also practical learning to develop and consolidate my skills. That's when I found Practicum by Yandex among all the bootcamps available online.

I picked Yandex based on others' reviews and I'm extremely glad with this decision. I feel so enjoyed the course and every aspect of it: the platform, the tasks, the design, the flow, the support. I can't say enough good things about the course and still can't believe I get so much for what I pay.

I'm half way in my data analytics course and excited with each new chapter and task. The learning offered by Practicum suits me perfect. There are also plenty of additional resources offered which i really appreciate. The tutors have been great and so helpful too.

What I'm really impressed is how prompt the platform online support is. Whenever I got stuck with a task, I sent an inquiry via the platform tech support, the response is almost straightaway, despite all the time differences. Wow. that's impressive, and super helpful!

As i said, I can't say enough good things about the course. Anymore will make me sound like a sales person. haha!  Highly recommended!
    • Great experience
      - 2/17/2021
      Elizaveta Gorbunova • Student
      I am studying at Practicum by Yandex for half a year now and I am going to finish my course soon. I've enjoyed my Data Analytics course and I am inspired for further work. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone, cause it has a  complex approach to studies. You get well-structured theory, practice, real projects, guidance, tips on soft skills, communication with mentors and peers. This is a top quality program.
      Of course, nothing is ideal and there were some annoying moments, for example, some bugs on the platform. But they were really minor and did not spoil the overall experience.
      In conclusion, I'd like to add, that knowing how to work with data is essential in today's world. Data is the essence of knowledge, science and development.
    • Data Scientist
      - 2/17/2021
      Jay Gentry • Student
      I loved my experience! They made learning feel easy. Any time I ran into a road block I contacted support and got help quickly, as they were really responsive. The structure of the curriculum was challenging in a good way. It helps you build skills to learn for yourself instead of just the simple read and review tutorial of other bootcamps. I loved practicum by yandex so much I am considering going back for one of there other boot camps in the future!
    • Data Science
      - 2/15/2021
      Vladimir Gurevich • Student
       I started the full data scientist course by Practicum in 2020. It's a good solid course with slack/webinars and etc. ways of communication. They provide a platform for tasks and during each sprint need to finish a project.

THIS REVIEW IS HELPFUL0
    • Web Developer
      - 2/12/2021
      Pinwei Wu • Graduate
      I really like Practicum offers hand on experience at coding. Though I self learned some coding before the program but never feel like I could break into the field. In Practicum web developer program, I not only learned the coding skill, but also the way how developer works. I am especially impressed by the hard working code reviewers. My coding structures and logic improved every time I got back my feedback. I now can build websites on a scratch all by myself, feel confident and am finally ready. Highly recommended!