practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of three programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst, and Web Developer. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $1,200 and $2,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (82) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, SQL, Python
      Start Date December 3, 2020
      Data analysis is a complex and intricate process. It involves collecting and structuring data, formulating and testing hypotheses, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data analysts are essential in business, administration, and science. They work with fundamental tools including Python and its libraries, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data analyst. Over the course of our six-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill Level All you need is a high school education
    • Data Scientist

Start Date December 3, 2020
      Data science is a complex and intricate field. It involves structuring and analyzing large amounts of data, employing machine learning to make predictions, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data scientists are needed in business, manufacturing, and science. They work with tools such as Python and its libraries, including Scikit-Learn and XGBoost, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data scientist. Over the course of our eight-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Web Developer

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Node.js, Front End, SQL
      Start Date December 3, 2020
      A web developer is a software engineer who develops websites using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, builds user interfaces with React (a JavaScript library), works as part of a team with Git, and uses Webpack to bundle project files automatically. Web developers understand how web servers work: they can configure Nginx and build a server in Node.js. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior web developer. Over the course of our 10-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you’ll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Mabel  User Photo
      Mabel • Student Verified via GitHub
      I started this program 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier with the structure and the curriculum. The program is 10 months long and it covers both front and backend technology needed to become a web developer. The curriculum starts with a free introductory course on HTLM and CSS then progresses to more advance topics in HTML and CSS, JavaScript, React and Node. The work is completed in two weeks sprints. Every two weeks a number of lectures and exercises become available followed by an independent project assignment. Each project is reviewed by an experienced developer who will ensure your project uses best coding practices. In the end you have will have a professional project to add to your portfolio.

In addition to the curriculum, I like the community aspect of the program. There are tutors and a slack group for students. There's also bi-weekly live coding lessons where students have the opportunity to ask questions regarding the project work.

I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who wants to learn web development. Since this is a longer program, students really get a chance to learn the material covered and practice using real developer tools such as Figma, Git and Github. Definitely give this program a try!
    • Learn by doing
      - 5/10/2020
      Adam  User Photo
      Adam • Student Verified via GitHub
      I'm freshman in coding. I learned basics on different platforms, and I felt it wasn't enough.
      I've accidentally started Yandex Practicum course, and from the first lesson (okey, from the 10-15th , cause these were too simple for me), I've understood I'm on the right way. I feel confident in learning Data Analytics course. Anytime I may ask mentors or other students in our chat for help. I face a lot of difficulties every time I open the course, or when I do practise by analysing any dataset I can found in the Web, but I don't give up. During the course I've learn how to make mistakes, and how to use it as strengths.
      I love tasks we solve during the course. Most of the tasks are taken from real-life. I don't feel I just solve an exercise from a book, I feel I participate in research in a company, and do my job. For me, this "atmosphere" means a lot. It encourages me to keep studying.
      Curriculum in general, is done good, but sometimes (if you've done previous chapter too fast), you have to wait for an access to a new one for a couple of days (up to week). Webinars are held in the morning, New York Time, and it is early evening in Europe / Middle East. However, we had an interesting webinar, that was at 7 pm., New York time (in Israel in was 3 am). Once, but still.
      Instructors are really friendly and helpful. They available and answer almost anytime we write them. They always send us additional material, show different ways to solve a task, and share stories from data analytics world.
      I am very glad I've started this course. Thanks to Yandex Team, I feel tremendous interest in Data Analysis and coding with Python.

• James Ryan  User Photo
      James Ryan • Student Verified via GitHub
      I've been taking part in the Web Developer course since February and I've been blown away by the level of support I've received from both mentors, code reviewers and fellow students in the Slack group. Prior to this course I was studying from free resources in my spare time and generally just going it alone. After a few months I started feeling directionless and like I had reached a plateau - I was ready to throw the towel in.

Joining the course changed all that. I feel like I'm part of something bigger than me and it's great. If I ever need help all I need to do is ask the mentors or other students for help. When I submit my code for review I get constructive feedback as to what can be improved and links to resources that will help me improve.

I have levelled up so much due to this and it's the best course I've done by far. Can't wait to see what the next 6-7 months bring!
    • Yanina Khitrova
       For a long time I felt that I need a career change but I wasn't sure where to go. I tries various courses on Coursera and Udemy but without much success. In the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, I saw a Yandex Practicum ad on Facebook and decided to try the Data Analyst program. In the beginning, I wasn't even sure that I will be able to finish it because the whole topic was pretty new to me. But as I was doing it, I got more and more interested and involved in the program. The main program starts with a lesson about mindset and it really helped me improve my attitude. The course is structured in just the right way to involve students and keep it interesting. There are tons of practice tasks from the very beginning with increasing difficulty. The theoretical parts are clearly written and followed by exercises and real life projects. All exercises and projects pretty challenging so you can feel the growing confidence after completing it. All projects are get checked by an industry professionals. They provide really valuable feedback. Sometime you may need to correct and resubmit the project several times until it is done correctly and accepted by reviewer. During the program, I completed 12 projects and one additional project, so the portfolio is pretty impressing. Another great part of the program are biweekly webinars. During the webinar, students could see the how the data analyst works on different real life problems and real time coding sessions. The webinars give more live interactions to the program.
      The program teaches all technical and soft skills needed to junior data analyst:
      -    Python programming language with libraries like Pandas, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Plotly, etc.
      -    Jupiter Notebook
      -    SQL queries and data processing
      -    Data preprocessing with Python
      -    Exploratory and statistical data analysis
      -    Business analytics and A/B test
      -    Data visualization (graphs and dashboards) with Python libraries and Tableau
      -    Automation and machine learning basics
      As a student, I feel constant support from the Practicum team: community managers, mentor, technical support and from fellow students. You can ask any question in the chat and get needed help pretty fast. Sometimes there could be some time lag because the team can be located in the other part of the world but technical support helps really fast anyway.
      I also need to mention the career support program where student can get various help with resume writing, portfolio preparation, attend webinars with technical recruiters and career couches and much more.
      To make the program even more appealing, I would make some suggests:
      *  I would add kind of "tutor-on-duty" to answer the questions of the students from the different time zones. Sometimes, I got stuck in some tasks and could not move forward. I had to wait the help from my tutor till the next day because of the time difference. It could be pretty annoying for people with the packed schedules.
      * It would be very useful to have both way communication with the reviewer.
      * Also, after completion of the projects, it would be very interesting to see other students' projects or best projects from the previous cohorts.
      Thank you Yandex Practicum Team for the great program, for the opportunity to be part of the great community, and opportunity to grow as a professional.
    • Grant W • Student
       Like many other novice developers, I've found myself stuck in a tutorial loop which felt inescapable. I had been trying to make a career switch, but was frustrated with the endless "beginner" code camps which often resulted in just copying and pasting code. I had even completed a FullStack Javascript program from a competitor and felt abandoned the moment I got my certificate. Luckily, I didn't give up and I found Practicum. The course lessons are very interesting and tend to dive a bit deeper than most other programs to ensure you learn the "Why" behind the code. They even sprinkle lessons throughout the curriculum dedicated to helping transfer careers! I've made some great relationships with my instructors who I'm glad to call my mentor. Thank you Practicum for helping me break into my dream career!
    • Data Scientist
      - 11/6/2020
      Shuki Zanyovka • Software Architect • Graduate
      The Yandex Practicum is an online course that provides the basic tools for a Data Scientist including a solid platform for studying the more advanced subjects. The course is an 8 months long program, in which there are a lot of mini-courses regarding multiple subjects in the field. Each of the courses includes a project which is checked carefully by the Practicum staff to provide constructive feedback to the student. In short, it's a great jumpstart towards the world of Data Science for students of any background who need the Data Science tools for their jobs or just for fun :-).
    • Data Analyst
      - 10/29/2020
      Sheryl K • Graduate
      I felt cared for and supported throughout the learning process.

We completed lessons on the platform and projects on our own. The projects were reviewed and approved or returned for improvements. Every improvement was worth while and significantly increased the quality of my work.

I went from feeling a bit overwhelmed to feeling excited about the next task.

“How does this work?” became “I know I can do this!”

• Wilhelmina Tetteh
      I started the Web developer intro course a few week ago and let me tell you, i really enjoyed the whole experience. My favorite parts were;
      1. How simply topics are explained ( with everyday, easy to understand language ).Ive done other online courses in the past and i admit that now i understand certain concepts better now in this course
      2. The projects are taken step by step and i liked the story telling part of it. ( i felt like a a real Web Developer building cool stuff in days . lol)
      3. support:  There is always someone  from the Yandex team or other students to help you or un-block you when you are stuck .
      They constantly check on you and find out how learning is going. I really appreciate that.

Lastly, the Yandex learning  platform is really clean, organized and "clutter-free" . If you are like me and you don't like busy pages with  stuff  all over the place, Yandex is for you. Clean UI

I'll definitely like to continue with the other courses after the intro course.

• Enyel Sequeira • Full-stack engineer • Student
      After finishing a full-stack web development boot-camp, I felt lost and was definitely not ready for a job in the web development world. Since then, I knew that boot camps were not meant for me, but then I was going through Facebook and saw this ad for being a beta test for this new course that Practicum had, that one being a web development course. In my mind, I was skeptical. I already knew how boot-camps worked and how all they care about most of the time is to make money without caring whether the students learn or not, but I decided to give it a try; after all, it couldn’t hurt, and I was a beta test. I’ve decided to enroll and did the introductory week and learned more in 2 weeks than I did in 2 months in my other boot-camp. Ever since I started, it has been quite a ride, with impressive and up to date materials. You’re not just reading and asked to do something that you have no idea how to do, you get to practice all that you’ve learned, and then you get a task. The other great thing is that while you are learning, you are also learning Agile methodology, which is used for most companies out there. Now the tasks can be difficult and challenging at time, but you have a fantastic community and a tutor that is always willing to answer your questions. Reviews are the same way, they can seem as they are too picky at times, but in reality, they are trying to review your code as an actual company would. Thanks to Practicum, I could definitely say I am way better developer than I was when I came out of my other boot-camp and thanks to them, I now feel like confident enough to enter the field
    • Rachelle P • Data Analyst
      This program is no joke!! It is HARD but you will learn. Each part is split into smaller courses. In each course, there are lessons and tasks to test your grasp of the material. Projects are spread out based on 2-week sprints. In each sprint, you are task with getting through certain lessons and a project. The lessons will take hours and so does the project. If you are really not committed to about 20 hours a week it will be hard to complete (at least in the first week of each sprint with hours spread out  WHENEVER you can), but you will feel SO accomplished after each sprint and project is completed. Slack is very structured and helpful. They believe in publicly stating your questions (rather than private DMs) which turns the students into a community helping each other get through.  The staff is exceptional addressing ANY question and doing webinars showing you harder parts. Honestly, plain and simple. This is the best online course I have ever seen in my life!!! You will push yourself and accomplish things you never though you could. Practicum is making magic.
    • Bhadresh Savani • System Engineer • Student
      I was part of the Data Science track at Practicum. I learn about Data Processing, Exploratory Data Analysis, Statistical Data Analysis Technics, SQL, Machine Learning related concepts. The best thing about this Bootcamp is a project which is reviewed by professionals of Data science. There were around 15 different projects. You can ask any question related to Data Science and learning in the course to instructors, the answers were really helpful. The slack workspace is really organized well. What in most like about the Bootcamp is the end of the sprint webinar.

During this Bootcamp course, I transformed my career in the NLP domain from Full stack development. The concepts I learned here related to data handling and preprocessing, I use it in my workspace now.
    • Margarita Sandomirskaya • Tech Recruiter/Jr. Data Analyst • Student
      I have been working in the tech field for almost 4 years, but as an HR specialist, I never coded. I mean, I saw some code and even stopped being so afraid of it, but I never thought about coding on my own. I knew I should automate simple repetitive tasks and that it is a nice idea to get experience in web scraping. Before I found out about Practicum, I thought that I’d have to spend lots of time and money in order to get these skills.

After studying for about 4 months, I can scrape data, and I no longer need Google Sheets/Excel for analytics tasks, because I have Python. Moreover, due to the project approach implemented in Practicum, I can do “full-stack” analytics — from preprocessing and making complex SQL queries to drawing fancy graphs and conclusions in Jupyter Notebook.

Some things now look simpler, although other ones look like a whole new world. For instance, right now we're learning about A/B tests, and there are so many little nuances that I would never say that it is just about how to color buttons and split users. I wonder what other surprises are expecting me later on...