practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Created by engineers from tech company Yandex, Practicum is a 30-46 week, online coding bootcamp offering tracks in Data Science, Data Analysis, and Web Development and aimed at sparking career change. Each bootcamp includes full access to an interactive online platform, real-life projects, tutor support from experienced developers, code reviews, online webinars, and live-coding sessions. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if a student doesn't secure a position within six months of graduating, Practicum guarantees to refund their money.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma.

With an average employment rate of 71%, Practicum’s career acceleration program provides graduates with the competitive edge they need to succeed. From resume-building to job offer negotiation, Practicum supports their students and graduates every step of the way. Students graduate with professional certificates and portfolios with 6 to 15 projects to show to potential employers. Practicum graduates have landed tech jobs at companies, such as Tesla, Accenture, Nielsen, and Microsoft.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (136) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Analytics , Data Structures, Data Visualization, Python, SQL
      Start Date October 28, 2021
      Over this 6-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of 12 projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from various industries (e-commerce, taxi services, advertising, and more) and are designed to highlight a range of skills relevant to business analytics, hypothesis testing, and presenting results. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      October 28, 2021 - Online
    • Data Scientist

Start Date October 28, 2021
      Over this 9-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of 15+ projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from a range of industries: e-commerce, taxi services, mining, and more. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      October 28, 2021 - Online
    • Web Developer

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, SQL
      Start Date October 14, 2021
      Over this 10-month course, you'll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. You'll work on six real, industry-level projects: a webpage made with HTML & CSS; an adaptive website; an interactive social network; a website built with React, a back-end server using Node.js; and a full-fledged independent web application. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      October 14, 2021 - Online
    • Data Science
      - 5/5/2021
      Libby Kosolapov  User Photo
      Libby Kosolapov • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I began the  Practicum data science course with basic knowledge of Data Analysis and Machine learning.  I joined this Bootcamp to expand my knowledge and indeed the tasks were checked manually with useful remarks and tips and I learned a  lot and in addition, I have a nice portfolio with the practicum projects.
    • Einav  User Photo
      Einav • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Let's start from the bottom line-
      I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to get in to web development world through a fun yet super serious, intense and high quality course.
      And that's why:

As someone who has never really coded before, I came in to this adventure with really nothing much to expect.
      To see if I can enjoy or even handle this type of course I took the free introductory course Practicum by Yandex offers and I was pleasantly surprised how much entertaining the learning platform is and how I felt "glued" to the screen, wanting to pass more and more lessons and tasks.
      Now, the course is separated into sprints. Each lasts two weeks. In these two weeks you go through quite a charming learning process in the platform (including side jokes, visual explanations and reactive pages to see the code you write actually works).
      Then there is a project where you implay the knowledge from the lessons.
      In between there are webinars with people from the industry about a lot of interesting and important topics for the real tech world,
      live zoom meeting with the mentor and teammates to discuss the next project and more..

From my personal experience all the questions/ worries/ uncertainties I had where answered within minutes(!) from the really wonderful staff members. Whether it's the technical support team who will answer your challenging tasks questions or the community managers and mentors in the interacting platform (Slack). There's always someone to answer your question and it seems like they really care from the students' progress and they are eager to see them finish the course successfully.
      Plus there are several other channels on Slack where you can communicate with fellow students and share your thoughts, in a very friendly and nice way.

• Aisha G  User Photo
      Aisha G • Student Verified via GitHub
      I am a Web Development track student here at Practicum by Yandex. Previously, I have attempted and failed many times at teaching myself the in's and out's of web development. Practicum has changed that for me. The program is challenging, realistic, and provides a sense of community for its students. The curriculum itself is based off of real world work, which can be difficult to find in other programs. There is also no need to worry when you may be having trouble with understanding certain concepts. There are tutors excited to assist you with learning these strange concepts, while even providing additional resources to help you work through the problems. Aside from the tutors, there are also opportunities to pair program with other students who are in the same or different cohorts than yourself. The program makes it very easy to communicate with other students via Slack. There are constant opportunities to grow within your chosen program such as webinars, live coding, and so much more!
    • Excellent Value
      - 4/26/2021
      Jared Parker  User Photo
      Jared Parker • Ongoing Commissioning Lead • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I  am a bit over half way through the Data Science program - it is an 8 month course. the first chapter is free so you can get a feel for if it will work out for you. the platform work is step by step - so introduce a concept, apply the concept, then introduce a new aspect of the concept, etc.

where the program really shines, in my opinion, is the tutors and the projects.

the projects are realistic scenarios and, while you are expected to use the concepts taught in the chapter, there is also room to try out new methods, libraries and approaches. you are then paired with a reviewer who will provide feedback, additional information and hints on how to make your end product better.

the tutors are able to provide explanations and input on how to better perform tasks and understand concepts.

overall, i think the value is amazing, especially considering the cost and length of the course. it is very in depth.
    • Jess  User Photo
      Jess • Web developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
       I decided to start learning web development last year after looking for options to change my career to something that aligns more with my need and lifestyle. Practicum offered me a scholarship as part of Women in web dev. It is a great opportunity to get started in web development. When I started learning at Practicum I was completely new at coding. Practicum has helped me learn to code from the ground up. I didn't know anything about coding when I started, and now I can code fully functional and adaptive websites from scratch. I have learned how to write HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I have learned about git, figma, json, DOM, OOP, BEM and much more.
      My favorite part of the program is building the projects. After learning the thoery from the sprint, we are assigned an independent project to build based of specs and designs given to us. I think this is very valuable experience to have when starting out as a web developer.
      I have recently started applying for remote web developer jobs and have already gotten interest from several possible employers by using the projects I build in Practicum bootcamp.
    • Stefano Pedicino  User Photo
      Stefano Pedicino • Student Verified via GitHub
       In November I participated in Practicum 100, having a little experience in languages such as C, C++ and C#. I decided to take part in this competition trying to do my best. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be among the 100 most talented. But I found myself so well during the course of the first module "Python and Data Analysis Basis" that I decided to buy a course with Yandex anyway! The first thought I had on the course was that the working platform was great, and that's what I still think. Yandex's platform it's one of the point of strenghts of the programm! I had already tried some other platform by other site that allow you to try them before to buy a programm, but I usually felt really bad with them. On the contrary with this one, I really had a good feeling. Theory was really clearly explained and exercises well structured. Without going long, only in the first month, I had learned the basics of Python and Pandas library. So I started the course and in few times, I was working on projects, being able on my own to organize databases with thousand of records, was something absolutely amazing. I was literally thrilled by those experiences! I went trough Data Preprocessing, Exploratory data analysis (this one super interesting, helped me to learn to draw stunning graphics with data), statistical data analysis and SQL in few months. After that, started the Data Science part, that I am still currently following. What I love about this part is the possibility to create machine learning algorithms and models. this translates into starting to build algorithms for artificial intelligences. I had never thought, to get in such a short time to be able to do something like this. Those were my experiences about the programm, platform and lessons but Yandex is not only that, they have a platform to communicate among students where you can get help from tutors, support team and managers if you have any sort of problems. They are always there, ready to support you in continuing studying and helping you to be successful in the programm. A really big thanks to the entire team! Furthermore, are often provided really interesting webinair about subject related topics, almost all weeks!
      After the programm, is expected a work preparation period, as said, they are going to help students with curriculum and portfolio preparation, I am not already on that programm part but curious to taking part to that as well! I really am hoping to land a good job after Yandex course. I don't know if I am going to accomplish that but extremely positive considered the quality of the course.
    • Data Analytics
      - 4/21/2021
      Atajan Abdyyev  User Photo
      Atajan Abdyyev • Verified via LinkedIn
      Great supporting community, well organized, quick responses from tutors and qa team. Learned so much in such a short time.
    • Jenna Toff  User Photo
      Jenna Toff • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      When I went through the sample course, I found I really enjoyed how the curriculum was written: it made it easier for me to read through what had otherwise been dry material in my previous self-studying, and the way that portion was written stayed throughout the program with only a few areas being a bit more on the dry side. There's a little bit of humor in some of the messages when we've succeeded, often making puns on the material we just went over, which also helps with keeping the information a bit better.

You do get out of it what you put in, and with supportive communities and networking opportunities, along with many chances to build upon soft skills: it's easy with Practicum to get a lot out of it. You have a cohort you work with, and many people you can reach out to ask if you get stuck or have questions: even if it's not directly related to the material you're going through in the course. If things aren't working, you can let someone know and it will be fixed by generally the next day. Feedback for projects is available within 24 hours, and you have chances to improve if you didn't get it quite right the first time.

After finishing the program I've been working with the 'career accelerator' program they have and they're helping me through the job navigation process that spans to 1-1 conversations with someone who is actually helping you fine-tune the different parts in the job search.
    • Leonid Gorelik   User Photo
      Leonid Gorelik • Sales operations analyst • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I tried to go deeper into data analysis for several times but all my previous attempts were unsuccessful. I checked different formats of bootcamps but none of them fit me. Classical offline bootcamps are 6 -8 times more expensive than Practicum by Yandex moreover they require full time dedication which means no possibility  to combine them with my current job. Learning on various on line platforms was also not a match because explanation was often not very clear,  problems solved there were not related to real business cases so I lost motivation very soon after starting a new course. At Practicum things are different: you start learning each topic on the online platform imitating real environment but if you have questions you can always address them to mentors or your mates. The program is divided  into sprints. Each sprint consists of education on the platform and a real life case which you have to solve based on the knowledge aquired on the platform and  every two weeks there are Webinars where mentor shows the best approach  in solving the project and also answers your questions .
      But my favorite thing about the course is that it is really very practical and although I am still at the first half of the course I already started using python at my current job and it saves me a lot of time.
    • Web Developer
      - 2/26/2021
      Maria W  User Photo
      Maria W • Student Verified via GitHub
      I have tried several coding programs, including Code Academy, Udemy classes, and Skillcrush. Practicum is far and above the best. As a WordPress developer, I have always been more interested in the code and less about the design, so I wanted to improve my skills to find a job in coding. Practicum has given me everything I need to be confident in my job search. The instructors and class cohorts are fantastic and extremely helpful. The lessons are flexible in that you don't have to attend live, which can be hard when you have a full-time job. There have been countless webinars and resources with recruiters and current coders on how to land a job after graduation. And the portfolio I will have to show future employers is stellar. I am one project away from graduation and I can't wait to move into my new career.
    • Jaia B  User Photo
      Jaia B • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Practicum is by far the BEST learning platform I've used. The learning experience is dynamic and fun.

PROS:
      -The curriculum is up to date and very well designed.
      -We work on real projects immediately applying what we learn on every module.
      -Our projects are reviewed by industry professionals.
      -The learning support comes in many ways: dedicated community managers, classmates, tutors, platform support.
      -The product team at Practicum is constantly improving the learning experience for students. They TRULY care about us.
      -We learn soft and hard skills needed for the real world.
      -The learning journey doesn't feel detached or lonely, and THAT is quite the feat for an online bootcamp.
      -The price is right. The length of program goes accordingly with the content and value we get from the program. Many bootcamps and online platforms offer much much less and cost 2.5X more.
      -They have a free 20 hr program introduction, which is super helpful if you want to find out what the program will be like and if you actually like web development. It's pretty straight forward, there's no catch or nasty surprises.
      -Transparency.

I honestly don't have any CONS. In the past I tried many platforms and was very disappointed. When I found Practicum, I tried the introductory course and was pleasantly surprised to see that in only 20 hrs they thoroughly taught what other programs would take 2 months to teach in a boring and burdensome way. I was very surprised at the quality of the curriculum and was instantly hooked. Right from the beginning we are shown the practical applications to so many abstract and (many times) difficult concepts.
      The program is intense and very rewarding. It has gone above and beyond any expectations I had.

• Leandra M.  User Photo
      Leandra M. • Student Verified via GitHub

Before diving into the world of computer programming, I was a secretary at a doctors office. I
      loved my coworkers and even liked my job but wasn’t being challenged
      enough. I was introduced to programming through sites like
      Codecademy. I immediately fell in love with learning to code and wanted to
      know more. I was lucky enough to be able to leave my full-time job to
      dive into learning further. I started with self-learning through all of the
      free sites you have undoubtedly have heard of, but eventually felt like I was in a rut, constantly learning
      theory but not putting it into practice or knowing if I was doing it
      right! I discovered Practicum by Yandex through a Facebook programming
      group I had joined. I took the free introductory course for web
      development and flew through it. The promise of real world projects,
      actual reviews and a community to be a part of convinced me to sign up.

I am so happy I did! One of the best things for me is now I have
      accountability. The course is split up into two week “sprints” that
      give me a goal to achieve, which is a great motivator for me. The
      sprints are made up of two parts. First is theory, which you read about and then immediately practice
      in exercises. I’m a hands-on learner myself, so practicing what I just
      learned in theory is so helpful. After the theory you work on a real world
      project. For these projects you learn how to use common development tools such as Figma, Github, VScode
      and will have a website of your own creation at the end. Your projects are reviewed by
      professional web developers who give further sources for you to
      research if needed and explain why something should be done a
      different way. We also have a live coding session for every sprint
      that further explains the theory and helps you see coding in action.
      If that wasn’t enough, there is a fantastic community of your fellow
      students set up on the chat program Slack. You are able to ask others who are working
      on the same project you are questions or get advice. It’s so nice to know I’m not
      the only one struggling with a problem or succeeding! You get practice
      in helping others if you can and there are senior students from other
      cohorts that help answer questions as well. On top of that, what I’ve
      found most helpful is my tutor. The tutor is there to answer your
      questions when you don’t know something but in a way that leads you to the
      answer instead of just giving you the solution outright.

Also I can tell everyone on the Practicum team wants me to succeed.
      They give you countless resources and listen to your feedback. They
      want to improve the course for all students.
      If you're on the fence about trying a bootcamp I would say jump over
      and sign up for Practicum by Yandex, you won't regret it!