practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of three programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst, and Web Developer. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $600 and $1,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free. Students should be prepared to devote at least 20 hours per week to their studies.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.72

all (61) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, SQL, Python
      Data analysis is a complex and intricate process. It involves collecting and structuring data, formulating and testing hypotheses, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data analysts are essential in business, administration, and science. They work with fundamental tools including Python and its libraries, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data analyst. Over the course of our six-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill Level All you need is a high school education
    • Data Scientist

Data Science, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Python, Machine Learning
      Data science is a complex and intricate field. It involves structuring and analyzing large amounts of data, employing machine learning to make predictions, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data scientists are needed in business, manufacturing, and science. They work with tools such as Python and its libraries, including Scikit-Learn and XGBoost, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data scientist. Over the course of our eight-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Web Developer

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Node.js, Front End, SQL
      A web developer is a software engineer who develops websites using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, builds user interfaces with React (a JavaScript library), works as part of a team with Git, and uses Webpack to bundle project files automatically. Web developers understand how web servers work: they can configure Nginx and build a server in Node.js. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior web developer. Over the course of our 10-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you’ll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Pilar Kaminski  User Photo
      Pilar Kaminski • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I finished the introductory course in web development and it was fantastic, I cannot wait to start the full program. The course is very well written and the lessons are very informative. The coding platform is friendly and it provides you with hints when you get stuck. The community manager is very friendly and always there to help. It's a very lovely community and I can't wait to continue my education with Practicum by Yandex.
    • Jared  User Photo
      Jared • Market Research Analyst • Verified via LinkedIn
      Fantastic course so far!

Having completed the intro course, this program seems to be a really good mix between your standard intensive boot camp and something like DataQuest ore Codeacademy. This is helpful in keeping you motivated without feeling too rigid.

There is the occasional issue that arises due to some translation issue (Yandex is a Russian company), but translating is hard enough without having to do it while teaching a technical subject. I'd rate this a 4.5 stars if I could due to the newness of the course and the fact it's still in development.

All in all, I highly recommend at least trying the intro to see if the format works for you.
    • Mamuka Anjaparidze  User Photo
      Mamuka Anjaparidze • Web & Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
       TL; DR - I have several years of experience in online courses and programming boot caps, and Practicum is on the first spot by deliverability and simplicity by the most important features which makes online courses enjoyable.

Really important key features which I learnt are important from personal experience are:
      TECHNICAL FEATURES:
      • The simplicity of the explanatory material -  ✅
      • The exact and thorough explanation of the material and not general fact-throwing -  ✅
      • The importance of task challenges right after the learnt material -  ✅
      • Interactive in-built text-compiler -  ✅
      • Feedback & Debugging features for even more comfortable and easy learning -  ✅

FOLLOWUP & HELP DESK FEATURES:
      • One of the most friendly and open-minded community, always ready to help -  ✅
      • Multiple feedback and help desk channels on various social networks -  ✅
      • Caring and understanding follow-up managers who are always checking on your progress and are oriented to satisfy your needs and give you a helping hand in any way possible in their authority -  ✅
      • One of the best trained and knowledgable instructors of the course with thorough and simple explanatory skills -   ✅

ABOUT ME
      I am a student at the faculty of Computer Science. Throughout the years I was trying to furthermore deepen my knowledge and experience in the field of CS and programming by applying and participating in various boot camps some of which where 500+ hour coding boot camps, some of them online and some onsite.
      Not long ago I got interested in the Machine Learning and Data Science and found out about the Practicum courses and got interested. From a general overview, I got the general idea of what to expect from the course but they exceeded my expectations by multiples.
    • Maurice Ellis  User Photo
      Maurice Ellis Verified via GitHub
      I was nervous about signing up for a bootcamp because after reading about them, many seemed to not have much depth nor prepare you to truly be a data scientist. I was already diving in to data science by watching YouTube videos and reading articles, but I wanted to know more than just writing or copying lines of code, so before I signed up I looked at outline of topics and I was surprised that it dove into a wide range of topics and more important, statistics and linear algebra. I wanted a deep understand of what I was doing and why we use one regression formula over another one.

With Practicum, I feel that I have not only wrote the code, but understand what I am doing and why. Practicum not only provides theory, but provides exercises to complete to better grasps the concepts learns. What makes it better, it uses real life data that is relatable in the real world. Even better, when I have a question or confused on a concept, there is a instructor and other peers who can answer my question. One thing I really love is the projects, this is where we open up a Jupyter Notebook and do everything for ourselves to answer the questions posed for the assignment. We process the data, we analyze the data, and draw conclusions. Our projects are then code reviewed to make sure we have accomplished the task at hand and have drawn the right conclusion. Nothing else to say, other than I love it.
    • Daniel Garcia  User Photo
      Daniel Garcia • Data Analyst - Alpha Tester • Student Verified via GitHub

As an alpha tester for the Practicum by Yandex Data Analyst professional program I can attest to the strength of the program’s quality in teaching you how to think and apply the skills required to be an effective data analyst.  The strength of their program even at their early stage of development comes at no surprise to me as the company is one of the leading IT companies in Europe. In regards to the program, I like the sprint-like approach that they take to learning wherein you have two weeks to complete the lessons, coding tasks, and projects associated with each course (ie. Data Preprocessing, A/B tests, etc.). I have found this very helpful because it has made me into a more efficient learner while seeing progress in my learning.
             I also like the support structure that Yandex creates for its programs. Whenever I have trouble with a coding task/project or need help grasping some of the theories, I can always reach out to my peers, tutor, or 24/7 learning support via Slack. This along with the biweekly webinar has been very helpful because most of the topics are new to me as a psychology major. In regards to the projects--my personal highlight of the program-- they provide you with enough tips to be able to independently complete the project using the approach and learning that was taught in the course lessons. These are later checked and provided with constructive feedback by professionals in the field (in my case Data Analyst). Top it off with the job support that they provide after finishing the program and this program becomes one of the top (and relatively cheap) technical boot camps out there.
             All in all, the hands-on and sprint-like learning approach, as well as the support system that makes up the  Practicum by Yandex courses, make it a top-boot camp that anyone wanting to enter into tech should strongly consider taking. Personally, I’ve developed a deeper understanding of the data analyst field and substantially developed my coding and problem-solving skills through this program.

• Mabel  User Photo
      Mabel • Student Verified via GitHub
      I started this program 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier with the structure and the curriculum. The program is 10 months long and it covers both front and backend technology needed to become a web developer. The curriculum starts with a free introductory course on HTLM and CSS then progresses to more advance topics in HTML and CSS, JavaScript, React and Node. The work is completed in two weeks sprints. Every two weeks a number of lectures and exercises become available followed by an independent project assignment. Each project is reviewed by an experienced developer who will ensure your project uses best coding practices. In the end you have will have a professional project to add to your portfolio.

In addition to the curriculum, I like the community aspect of the program. There are tutors and a slack group for students. There's also bi-weekly live coding lessons where students have the opportunity to ask questions regarding the project work.

I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who wants to learn web development. Since this is a longer program, students really get a chance to learn the material covered and practice using real developer tools such as Figma, Git and Github. Definitely give this program a try!
    • Learn by doing
      - 5/10/2020
      Adam  User Photo
      Adam • Student Verified via GitHub
      I'm freshman in coding. I learned basics on different platforms, and I felt it wasn't enough.
      I've accidentally started Yandex Practicum course, and from the first lesson (okey, from the 10-15th , cause these were too simple for me), I've understood I'm on the right way. I feel confident in learning Data Analytics course. Anytime I may ask mentors or other students in our chat for help. I face a lot of difficulties every time I open the course, or when I do practise by analysing any dataset I can found in the Web, but I don't give up. During the course I've learn how to make mistakes, and how to use it as strengths.
      I love tasks we solve during the course. Most of the tasks are taken from real-life. I don't feel I just solve an exercise from a book, I feel I participate in research in a company, and do my job. For me, this "atmosphere" means a lot. It encourages me to keep studying.
      Curriculum in general, is done good, but sometimes (if you've done previous chapter too fast), you have to wait for an access to a new one for a couple of days (up to week). Webinars are held in the morning, New York Time, and it is early evening in Europe / Middle East. However, we had an interesting webinar, that was at 7 pm., New York time (in Israel in was 3 am). Once, but still.
      Instructors are really friendly and helpful. They available and answer almost anytime we write them. They always send us additional material, show different ways to solve a task, and share stories from data analytics world.
      I am very glad I've started this course. Thanks to Yandex Team, I feel tremendous interest in Data Analysis and coding with Python.

• James Ryan  User Photo
      James Ryan • Student Verified via GitHub
      I've been taking part in the Web Developer course since February and I've been blown away by the level of support I've received from both mentors, code reviewers and fellow students in the Slack group. Prior to this course I was studying from free resources in my spare time and generally just going it alone. After a few months I started feeling directionless and like I had reached a plateau - I was ready to throw the towel in.

Joining the course changed all that. I feel like I'm part of something bigger than me and it's great. If I ever need help all I need to do is ask the mentors or other students for help. When I submit my code for review I get constructive feedback as to what can be improved and links to resources that will help me improve.

I have levelled up so much due to this and it's the best course I've done by far. Can't wait to see what the next 6-7 months bring!
    • Andrea DeHart • Student
      I took the intro to data science course. it sounded the most interesting to me of all the intro courses. I really enjoyed taking the intro course. it gave me a good feel of what I was getting into. I didn't realize how long the intro course was when I first took it. I thought it was only going to be a couple of lessons but it was 7 courses with multiple lessons. Everyone was extremely helpful whenever I ran into any issues or needed help with a mistake in my coding.
    • Soon Young Jeoung • Student
      I took the Data Analyst course, and this was so great.
      It was useful to me, and I could learned alot.
      Same type of questions are keep coming up. Also, advisor is keep tracking for how is the processing my course.
      I believe I could learn lots of codes from this course.
      The thing is sometimes hint is little bit hard to understand and weak.
      However, always there is agent who could help me. so send the link then they will help me.
    • Cassandra Cook • Designer • Student
      Thia introductory course in web development is the best time that I've ever taken. It had good real world examples. I'm an experienced web developer and was taught some new techniques. I especially liked their explanation of the box model - with padding, borders, and margins.
    • Ibtehaz Utsay • Student
      Yandex is basically the Google if Russia that provides a much more secure platform. Practicum is one of their initiatives that is well structured and intuitive, whilst making programming skills accessible to everyone with a desire to learn. The teaching experts and support in the slack channel is highly responsive and knowledgeable.