practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of three programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst, and Web Developer. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $1,200 and $2,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (72) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, SQL, Python
      Data analysis is a complex and intricate process. It involves collecting and structuring data, formulating and testing hypotheses, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data analysts are essential in business, administration, and science. They work with fundamental tools including Python and its libraries, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data analyst. Over the course of our six-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill Level All you need is a high school education
    • Data Scientist

Data Science, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Python, Machine Learning
      Data science is a complex and intricate field. It involves structuring and analyzing large amounts of data, employing machine learning to make predictions, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data scientists are needed in business, manufacturing, and science. They work with tools such as Python and its libraries, including Scikit-Learn and XGBoost, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data scientist. Over the course of our eight-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Web Developer

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Node.js, Front End, SQL
      A web developer is a software engineer who develops websites using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, builds user interfaces with React (a JavaScript library), works as part of a team with Git, and uses Webpack to bundle project files automatically. Web developers understand how web servers work: they can configure Nginx and build a server in Node.js. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior web developer. Over the course of our 10-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you’ll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Software Engineer
      - 9/11/2020
      Wesley C  User Photo
      Wesley C • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Currently taking the Data Science course.

From the perspective of a CS grad and as a software engineer, the program is of good quality. I can't compare it to other bootcamps, but from a practical point of view, you're taught most things necessary to do your job correctly. As with most online courses, what you put into it is what you get out of it- there are a lot of resources that you have access to throughout the duration of the program, make use of them. This includes mentors that review your code, demonstrations from professionals to see how they would do projects you previously completed, webinars for all sorts of things, group zoom meetings, articles, etc. You also have access to a slack channel where you can communicate with other students and mentors. You can choose to use it. Or not.

Let's talk about the education material. You progress through the course in 2 week sprints, with a module and a project in each sprint. Each module builds on top of the previous. Overall you'll learn to use python and the associated tools required for data science purposes(Anaconda, relevant python libraries, github, jupyter notebook, etc) and the critical thinking skills required for the job. Over time your hand is held less, and you'll learn to utilize anaconda to do your work, without relying on Practicum's interactive platform. You'll slowly be expected to know more material, and utilize python + associated libraries to do the work you need to do, while learning to search for documentation on your own(aka googling) to understand specific classes/methods in the relevant libraries.

For those with no prior coding experience It may seem to progress fast, but again you're given a lot of resources and help along the way. You'll gain a lot from the curriculum if you put in the recommended hours into it. Maybe you'll need less. Projects will be hard work- but you'll have unlimited opportunities to submit it, get it reviewed, ask questions, and be guided by both the code reviewer and the mentors.

For those with prior coding experiences, the beginning may seem to progress slowly, and earlier projects may seem a bit tedious. Best of luck to you.

My biggest gripes would be the automated testing in the interactive platform, the lack of clear instructions for some of the work required, and sometimes sentences that are worded poorly. Submitting code may throw incomprehensible/false errors, causing you to be stuck on things that shouldn't be an issue. The platform still needs work, and I hope it will continue to be improved. On the bright side, you have the slack channel for your needs of assistance- vague instructions and lack of both clarity and assistance is something the tech industry excels at even more :-)
    • Data Science
      - 9/6/2020
      Kristina  User Photo
      Kristina • QA engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Hi all. I'm studying at Practicum already 7 month on Data Science program. It is a great opportunity to became more familiar with DS field. After 5 month I already fell myself more confidently working with Python and data bases.
      I cannot tell it's enough to find a new job, because I still haven't try, but I assure that you can do it following their recommendation in carrier track sessions (by the way there is a great speaker Carrie).
      Also Practicum gives a really good level of knowledge, so you already can start competitions on Kaggle or trying yourself in your own project.
      I'm a person who procrastinate everything and everywhere and it's really important for me to have deadlines, schedules and group of people is learning with me - all of it is motivating me to move forward and all of it is what Yandex Practicum has.
      Highly recommend <3
    • Veianya  User Photo
      Veianya • Student • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I just started my third month in the web development program.  Wanted to leave a review because I searched here before joining the school, and it seemed like most of the reviews were from people who have only taken the free introductory course.  Now that I've been a (paying) student for a while, I'll share my experience.

The good:
      •  The introductory course was a good way to discover that their teaching style is a good fit for me.
      •  I have learned a LOT in a short time.  The large projects and strict deadlines keep me learning at a much faster pace than I ever would studying on my own.
      •  Having the main tutor, community manager, student tutors, and fellow classmates available.  They're there if I have questions, need help, need to vent, etc.
      •  It is an incredible value.  It's almost a year's worth of coding education for only $1000.  Even when things aren't perfect, I can't really complain since I've saved so much money by going here instead of other (pricier) boot camps.  And I feel like I'm receiving a very quality education for that price.

Could be better:
      •  Maybe it's because I'm older and not as quick as I used to be.  But I spend a LOT more time on this course than I expected to.  It's been the equivalent of a full-time job for me.  They say 10 hours a week minimum.  But I don't know how realistic that is depending on your experience level starting out.
      •  Sometimes there is a language barrier.  The way things are worded on the learning platform can be difficult to understand.  We also have live coding events and it can be difficult for me to understand what the programmer is saying.
      •  The learning platform can be frustrating.  If you don't answer the question the exact way to the computer is expecting you to, then you can't continue.  And if nobody is around on the slack channel to help you, then you can be stuck there for a long time.  Which is not only a time waste, but also prevents you from being able to access your project and start working on it.
      •  This isn't really a negative thing.  But they have a lot of faith in us lol.  The projects we do every two weeks are not simple.  It's not rare to feel unprepared and overwhelmed every time we see the instructions.  It usually feels impossible at first.  And the code reviewers are very strict about what they'll accept.  Yet somehow, I keep managing to stick with it and complete everything.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there.
    • Kevin Loughead  User Photo
      Kevin Loughead • Student Verified via GitHub
      The material on the platform is engaging and the community is very supportive.   But what really makes this course shine are the real, substantial projects that you build from the ground up, along with the challenging system of code reviews for each project.   Highly recommended.
    • Jackie  User Photo
      Jackie • Student Verified via GitHub
      I personally have never had experience studying from an online boot camp, but I saw Practicum through an enticing advertisement and decided to finally pull the trigger after thinking about being part of a boot camp for some time. The early part of the course is easy to understand even for those without STEM backgrounds while teaching Python fundamentals. I am in the last third of the course and it has become increasingly difficult where I'm putting in 1.5x more hours than I had originally I think. Fortunately, the instructors are very responsive in addition to other students who are able to help. The community that is cultivated in my cohort is extremely impressive, and I do feel like I am growing and learning with my fellow students. The job assistance portion is relatively new, but I believe they are approaching it correctly and providing great resources for the job seekers. I'm curious to see the concepts they teach and the job assistance they provide in my last few months with them. I have trust in their ability to provide the same great quality for the rest of the boot camp.
    • Pilar Kaminski  User Photo
      Pilar Kaminski • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I finished the introductory course in web development and it was fantastic, I cannot wait to start the full program. The course is very well written and the lessons are very informative. The coding platform is friendly and it provides you with hints when you get stuck. The community manager is very friendly and always there to help. It's a very lovely community and I can't wait to continue my education with Practicum by Yandex.
    • Jared  User Photo
      Jared • Market Research Analyst • Verified via LinkedIn
      Fantastic course so far!

Having completed the intro course, this program seems to be a really good mix between your standard intensive boot camp and something like DataQuest ore Codeacademy. This is helpful in keeping you motivated without feeling too rigid.

There is the occasional issue that arises due to some translation issue (Yandex is a Russian company), but translating is hard enough without having to do it while teaching a technical subject. I'd rate this a 4.5 stars if I could due to the newness of the course and the fact it's still in development.

All in all, I highly recommend at least trying the intro to see if the format works for you.
    • Mamuka Anjaparidze  User Photo
      Mamuka Anjaparidze • Web & Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
       TL; DR - I have several years of experience in online courses and programming boot caps, and Practicum is on the first spot by deliverability and simplicity by the most important features which makes online courses enjoyable.

Really important key features which I learnt are important from personal experience are:
      TECHNICAL FEATURES:
      • The simplicity of the explanatory material -  ✅
      • The exact and thorough explanation of the material and not general fact-throwing -  ✅
      • The importance of task challenges right after the learnt material -  ✅
      • Interactive in-built text-compiler -  ✅
      • Feedback & Debugging features for even more comfortable and easy learning -  ✅

FOLLOWUP & HELP DESK FEATURES:
      • One of the most friendly and open-minded community, always ready to help -  ✅
      • Multiple feedback and help desk channels on various social networks -  ✅
      • Caring and understanding follow-up managers who are always checking on your progress and are oriented to satisfy your needs and give you a helping hand in any way possible in their authority -  ✅
      • One of the best trained and knowledgable instructors of the course with thorough and simple explanatory skills -   ✅

ABOUT ME
      I am a student at the faculty of Computer Science. Throughout the years I was trying to furthermore deepen my knowledge and experience in the field of CS and programming by applying and participating in various boot camps some of which where 500+ hour coding boot camps, some of them online and some onsite.
      Not long ago I got interested in the Machine Learning and Data Science and found out about the Practicum courses and got interested. From a general overview, I got the general idea of what to expect from the course but they exceeded my expectations by multiples.
    • Maurice Ellis  User Photo
      Maurice Ellis Verified via GitHub
      I was nervous about signing up for a bootcamp because after reading about them, many seemed to not have much depth nor prepare you to truly be a data scientist. I was already diving in to data science by watching YouTube videos and reading articles, but I wanted to know more than just writing or copying lines of code, so before I signed up I looked at outline of topics and I was surprised that it dove into a wide range of topics and more important, statistics and linear algebra. I wanted a deep understand of what I was doing and why we use one regression formula over another one.

With Practicum, I feel that I have not only wrote the code, but understand what I am doing and why. Practicum not only provides theory, but provides exercises to complete to better grasps the concepts learns. What makes it better, it uses real life data that is relatable in the real world. Even better, when I have a question or confused on a concept, there is a instructor and other peers who can answer my question. One thing I really love is the projects, this is where we open up a Jupyter Notebook and do everything for ourselves to answer the questions posed for the assignment. We process the data, we analyze the data, and draw conclusions. Our projects are then code reviewed to make sure we have accomplished the task at hand and have drawn the right conclusion. Nothing else to say, other than I love it.
    • Daniel Garcia  User Photo
      Daniel Garcia • Data Analyst - Alpha Tester • Student Verified via GitHub

As an alpha tester for the Practicum by Yandex Data Analyst professional program I can attest to the strength of the program’s quality in teaching you how to think and apply the skills required to be an effective data analyst.  The strength of their program even at their early stage of development comes at no surprise to me as the company is one of the leading IT companies in Europe. In regards to the program, I like the sprint-like approach that they take to learning wherein you have two weeks to complete the lessons, coding tasks, and projects associated with each course (ie. Data Preprocessing, A/B tests, etc.). I have found this very helpful because it has made me into a more efficient learner while seeing progress in my learning.
             I also like the support structure that Yandex creates for its programs. Whenever I have trouble with a coding task/project or need help grasping some of the theories, I can always reach out to my peers, tutor, or 24/7 learning support via Slack. This along with the biweekly webinar has been very helpful because most of the topics are new to me as a psychology major. In regards to the projects--my personal highlight of the program-- they provide you with enough tips to be able to independently complete the project using the approach and learning that was taught in the course lessons. These are later checked and provided with constructive feedback by professionals in the field (in my case Data Analyst). Top it off with the job support that they provide after finishing the program and this program becomes one of the top (and relatively cheap) technical boot camps out there.
             All in all, the hands-on and sprint-like learning approach, as well as the support system that makes up the  Practicum by Yandex courses, make it a top-boot camp that anyone wanting to enter into tech should strongly consider taking. Personally, I’ve developed a deeper understanding of the data analyst field and substantially developed my coding and problem-solving skills through this program.

• Mabel  User Photo
      Mabel • Student Verified via GitHub
      I started this program 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier with the structure and the curriculum. The program is 10 months long and it covers both front and backend technology needed to become a web developer. The curriculum starts with a free introductory course on HTLM and CSS then progresses to more advance topics in HTML and CSS, JavaScript, React and Node. The work is completed in two weeks sprints. Every two weeks a number of lectures and exercises become available followed by an independent project assignment. Each project is reviewed by an experienced developer who will ensure your project uses best coding practices. In the end you have will have a professional project to add to your portfolio.

In addition to the curriculum, I like the community aspect of the program. There are tutors and a slack group for students. There's also bi-weekly live coding lessons where students have the opportunity to ask questions regarding the project work.

I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who wants to learn web development. Since this is a longer program, students really get a chance to learn the material covered and practice using real developer tools such as Figma, Git and Github. Definitely give this program a try!
    • Learn by doing
      - 5/10/2020
      Adam  User Photo
      Adam • Student Verified via GitHub
      I'm freshman in coding. I learned basics on different platforms, and I felt it wasn't enough.
      I've accidentally started Yandex Practicum course, and from the first lesson (okey, from the 10-15th , cause these were too simple for me), I've understood I'm on the right way. I feel confident in learning Data Analytics course. Anytime I may ask mentors or other students in our chat for help. I face a lot of difficulties every time I open the course, or when I do practise by analysing any dataset I can found in the Web, but I don't give up. During the course I've learn how to make mistakes, and how to use it as strengths.
      I love tasks we solve during the course. Most of the tasks are taken from real-life. I don't feel I just solve an exercise from a book, I feel I participate in research in a company, and do my job. For me, this "atmosphere" means a lot. It encourages me to keep studying.
      Curriculum in general, is done good, but sometimes (if you've done previous chapter too fast), you have to wait for an access to a new one for a couple of days (up to week). Webinars are held in the morning, New York Time, and it is early evening in Europe / Middle East. However, we had an interesting webinar, that was at 7 pm., New York time (in Israel in was 3 am). Once, but still.
      Instructors are really friendly and helpful. They available and answer almost anytime we write them. They always send us additional material, show different ways to solve a task, and share stories from data analytics world.
      I am very glad I've started this course. Thanks to Yandex Team, I feel tremendous interest in Data Analysis and coding with Python.