practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Created by engineers from tech company Yandex, Practicum is a 30-46 week, online coding bootcamp offering tracks in Data Science, Data Analysis, and Web Development and aimed at sparking career change. Each bootcamp includes full access to an interactive online platform, real-life projects, tutor support from experienced developers, code reviews, online webinars, and live-coding sessions. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if a student doesn't secure a position within six months of graduating, Practicum guarantees to refund their money.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma.

With an average employment rate of 71%, Practicum’s career acceleration program provides graduates with the competitive edge they need to succeed. From resume-building to job offer negotiation, Practicum supports their students and graduates every step of the way. Students graduate with professional certificates and portfolios with 6 to 15 projects to show to potential employers. Practicum graduates have landed tech jobs at companies, such as Tesla, Accenture, Nielsen, and Microsoft.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (136) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Analytics , Data Structures, Data Visualization, Python, SQL
      Start Date October 28, 2021
      Over this 6-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of 12 projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from various industries (e-commerce, taxi services, advertising, and more) and are designed to highlight a range of skills relevant to business analytics, hypothesis testing, and presenting results. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      October 28, 2021 - Online
    • Data Scientist

Start Date October 28, 2021
      Over this 9-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of 15+ projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from a range of industries: e-commerce, taxi services, mining, and more. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      October 28, 2021 - Online
    • Web Developer

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, SQL
      Start Date November 18, 2021
      Over this 10-month course, you'll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. You'll work on six real, industry-level projects: a webpage made with HTML & CSS; an adaptive website; an interactive social network; a website built with React, a back-end server using Node.js; and a full-fledged independent web application. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum by Yandex. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      November 18, 2021 - Online
    • MD. JUNAYED AHMED  User Photo
      MD. JUNAYED AHMED • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I have graduated from Practicum by Yandex in web development program. I had basic front-end skills. One day a friend of mine suggested to me Practicum for their advanced web development course. After seeing what skills I can obtain from the course I immediately signed up. I wanted to become an expert in the front-end/web development field, that's why I decided to start learning with Practicum. I was really amazed by the learning process they used for students. All the lessons are made of the most important and useful contents along with a good amount of coding-test sections where I was able to apply the knowledge I obtained from specific lessons. Most amazing part was, after every sprint/topic I got a real life project which was reviewed by an expert to determine if I was doing it properly or not. Reviewer's were really helpful to improve my code efficiency and quality. Going through all the sprints and challenges I was able to gain confidence in my skills. One more thing about Practicum worth mentioning is their support system. Tutors, community manager, and learning support team they all were really helpful. With them I always got my issues solved almost immediately. I really recommend this course to everyone, especially those who want to build a career in web development.
    • Valentina Anthonio  User Photo
      Valentina Anthonio • Verified via LinkedIn
      Wondering why it's the best? And I would say there is no better place to learn not just to code but also to understand the concepts. Coming from a finance and accounting background, I needed something that would accord me both theoretical and practical lessons. I only have a few sprints to finish and can confidently say, I have no regrets since starting.
      My interest in data science all started at a time when I started my MBA. I decided on a topic that required skills that I didn’t have. All I could tell myself after going through some basics was, I might as well see this through the end.
      Fast forward, I started looking for a place where a beginner like me would be feel left out.  I have enjoyed every moment spent going through this course. From the lessons, working on projects, or interacting with the support team when I encounter problems while coding.  And the icing for me is the weekly webinars which provide you with lessons beyond what has been taught on the platform plus the support from the tutors. Even the pop-up comments you get when you submit your work as you go through each lesson cracks you up some things, the feeling that you are not alone in it.
      The projects to complete after every sprint and be graded on are always challenging but always worth it. And even the reviewer’s comments go beyond just reviewing your code. They provide you with additional information to read on so as to improve your code better at the next sprint. Following these recommendations places you ahead of the curve.
    • Luna Hasse  User Photo
      Luna Hasse • Student Verified via GitHub
      I bought the intro web development course for $50 and it was absolutely worth the money. It solidified my decision to buy the full course. The staff is super helpful and communicative and the lessons are engaging. I went into it knowing some HTML and CSS basics, but not knowing any JavaScript. My only issue was that the JavaScript portion went a bit fast for me, so it might be a good idea to do a little bit of learning on your own first before buying the full course. However, buying the intro course will give you a great idea of how ready you are for the full course, and I would recommend it to anyone wondering whether the full course would be right for them.
    • Julia Jones  User Photo
      Julia Jones • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      10 months ago, I started a data science educational program at Practicum by Yandex. By that time, I’ve done several MOOC courses on different platforms, read a bunch of blogs and articles on how to switch to the data science field or become a data scientist.

I was lost. There is a huge amount of information and all advices are good. But how do I exactly start? Where do I begin? I needed a direction. I needed a mentor, a tutor, a community. And all this I found in the program.

If you know someone who doesn’t know how to start, please feel free to refer them to Yandex Practicum. They will get a very well-structured program, 24/7 support and mentorship, a lot of hands-on experience and 10+ projects to their portfolio. The price is affordable and the quality is outstanding!

With this very good beginning my journey continues.
    • Samantha Horsch  User Photo
      Samantha Horsch • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I was looking for an online bootcamp to further improve my skillset as a visual communicator (a.k.a. a graphic designer but more) and stumbled upon Practicum. Previously, I was looking at another potential online program which charged a crazy amount of money to learn what I'm planning to learn through Practicum--web development. I ultimately went with Practicum because it offers the opportunity to try it out for two weeks (for less than $100) to see if it was the right fit and the price was more reasonable.

I decided to try it out for the two weeks and absolutely enjoyed the lessons. The majority of it is self-taught with opportunities to ask either your mentor or classmates for help on a social networking site called Slack (which is arranged like Facebook groups for businesses). The curriculum doesn't bog you down with lengthy descriptions and is easy to understand. The lessons get straight to the point without unnecessary fluff and then immerses you straight into a lesson which you have the chance to apply what you've learnt.

The mentors are very personable and are there for you for any questions you have about the program and lessons. It is emphasized that you're not alone in this journey through the program and there are people that want to help.

I really love the program so far and it allows me to improve my problem-solving skills when beginning to code. I honestly find it hard to stop going through lessons because I'm having so much fun. I'm looking forward to starting the full program in a couple of weeks!
      - 7/29/2021
      Chukwuemeka Okoli  User Photo
      Chukwuemeka Okoli • Student Verified via GitHub
      I started learning Data Science a year ago through MOOC's like Udemy, Coursera but after completing so many of those program, I was lost when it comes to starting a project. I did not know how to structure my thinking the data science way. I started looking for project based bootcamp that would not cost an arm and a leg. After reviewing various bootcamp in the US, I settled for Practicum by Yandex Data Scientist bootcamp. Firstly because it was cheap and you end up with 15 real life projects. Also, because the first Sprint which was free was so attractive to turn down.

The curriculum is structured like a real tech company where you train on the platform for a week or two and work on a project the next week. After completing the first free sprint, I was hooked. I fell in love with the platform so much that I was coding at any free time I have. If your goal is to learn to code for real, think like a data scientist or analyst, then Practicum by Yandex is for you.

My favorite part of the program is the project and code review. It can also be the annoying part because project review can take two to three cycle with corrections back and forth with your reviewer. At the end when your project is approved, there is that satisfaction that comes from achieving a feat. I love the weekly webinars on different topics in data science and the fact that you can connect with your tutors and peers through a common slack channel. My coding has improved from the live coding section with tutors. I believe that I am truly on my way to becoming a data scientist. I am currently in the 10 sprint but I already have some interviews lined up based on the strength of my portfolio. There is the optional career development at the end of the program for the US market with job guarantee but I haven't gotten there yet to see how good it is but I can tell you, with the strength of what I have done so far, getting a job shouldn't be a problem.
    • Makenzie  User Photo
      Makenzie • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Valuable and challenging coursework that continued to push me forward in learning. The tutors are always there to help with unblocking you during your studies. The projects are modeled from real-world scenarios which made them quite interesting to work on and solve. It's been a rewarding experience for me, and I hope to complete the final project in the next two weeks!

If you are interested in pursuing a data science certificate, I would highly encourage you to check out Practicum by Yandex!
    • Jakob Pfefferkorn  User Photo
      Jakob Pfefferkorn • Student • Student Verified via GitHub
      I already had some basic web development experience before deciding to enroll with Practicum, so I knew I was interested in the field and wanted to pursue a career as a developer.
      I picked up some beginner level web development skills over the years through self-study and online courses and got into to doing some freelance work, mostly on WordPress sites. However, I knew there were still significant gaps in my knowledge that were holding me back from progressing further as a professional developer. A bootcamp seemed like it would be the most effective way to build my skills quickly and get up to speed.

I ended up coming across Practicum by Yandex through a Facebook ad, which I wouldn’t normally pay much attention to, but I checked it out and took the free 20-hour intro course and was impressed with the quality. It was a solid introductory course and gave a good feel for what the learning platform offered. The full curriculum fit what I was looking for, so I went ahead and committed to doing the entire 10-month program.

The course is definitely challenging even if you have previous experience. But that challenge is part of what makes it so effective – it requires you to get hands-on and get a good understanding of the material in order to complete the projects. Code review can seem daunting, but it’s actually become one of my favorite aspects of the program and sets it apart from other platforms I’ve tried previously.

Practicum has taught me more in the past year than I’ve learned in over a decade of self-study. Just the exposure to other developers and being introduced to so many helpful tools and resources has been life changing. I finally feel that I’m becoming a competent and capable developer. I highly recommend the program if you’re able to the spend the time on it.

Pros:
      The course is thorough, they work to maintain up-to-date information throughout the course, so it’s often being updated as you progress through the program. The project-based approach, code reviews, and sprint scheduling immerse you in a real-world working environment rather than a traditional classroom.

Cons:
      The platform is almost entirely text with some interactive coding exercises, so if you’re used to video lectures or other teaching styles, this can be challenging. The material is really good, it just might not be a good fit for every learning style. (I found using text-to-speech helped me personally). Depending on the group you’re with, the slack channels and webinars may not be very active.

• Sara  User Photo
      Sara • Student Verified via GitHub
      After looking at a wide variety of online courses, I settled on Practicum, as it's one of the most comprehensive, with great value for money, and also has the option of a 20 hour free introductory course: super helpful for deciding if this is the course or area for you. You can also attend a webinar with tutors and staff from the course to ask questions, and sign up for a one-on-one with an advisor, so there's a lot available to help you decide, but at no point did I feel pressured to make a decision. It felt like the staff really wanted me to make the best choice for me.

The course definitely has a focus on real-world preparation for working as a software developer rather than just focusing solely on hard skill learning. You have sprints, deadlines, pair programming, code reviews by industry professionals, and the tutors are experienced developers. The fact that it's a 10 month course means you are able to cover a lot of ground. Learning starts with front-end (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, REACT etc) moves to back-end (Node.js, REST API etc), and then brings it all together for the final project. There is optional career coaching and support, with things like mock interviews, application help, and building a LinkedIn and CV.

The platform that you learn on is really easy to use and very interactive. I've found some previous self-study guides to be a bit more dry than I would prefer, but I find the way Practicum presents the material to be quite enjoyable, as they try to keep things light-hearted, with real-world scenarios.

One issue I had with some other courses I tried is that you can feel a bit isolated. Not so with Practicum, the support is phenomenal. There are community managers who oversee all non-academic concerns and are super helpful, friendly, and quick with replies. Tutors are also on hand to help. The community on Slack is great too; there's a lot of opportunity for communication and networking, and it's encouraged to reach out to your community for help and advice.

The fact that it's an online 20 hr/wk course means it's flexible, and although there are set times for webinars etc, they are always recorded so you can watch them later.

The only (small) issue I've had is with code reviewing. Sometimes the review isn't clear, or is saying something that contradicts what you may have been taught, but you can't contact the reviewer. However, you can contact your tutor, who will be able to help.

Through all the research I've done, it was definitely an informed decision to sign up for the web dev course with Practicum, and overall I'm super happy with my experience so far.
    • Daniel  User Photo
      Daniel • Revenue Manager • Applicant Verified via GitHub
      I just made it through the free introductory course.The introductory course is packed with information and is absolutely worth doing it. You are working in an environment created by Practicum, so no setups are required. You only need to know how to open your browser. However, things go rapidly in depth and you are facing challenges at some points. (be sure to check your printouts!) I am a critical person, so I wanted to check their support team as well. You can believe me, I did this quite intensely!! And I was very surprised by always (read: always!) getting an answer to all my questions, in less than a few minutes. That gave me the confidence and the security  to sign up for the full course, I felt I was in good hands. Now I´m looking forward to starting the program, which looks high-quality!!!!
    • Chris Ngwa  User Photo
      Chris Ngwa • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I loved the Data Science course. It was very informative and pushed me out of my comfort zone. The tasks and projects will have you thinking a lot and doing some research. If ever you're stuck, you can count on the instructors and tutors for help. It was quite intense for me since I was working a full-time, on-site job and studying at night but hey, I made it through. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in Data Science. Practicum by Yandex is awesome
    • Great Program
      - 5/16/2021
      Ashly Draper  User Photo
      Ashly Draper • Student Verified via GitHub
      I am currently in the Web Development program at Practicum by Yandex. This is a great program! I have been challenged with every project. I have a background in computer networking, but I did not have any prior programming knowledge. I had been a stay-at-home mom for many years and decided that I wanted to rejoin the workforce but in a new field. I chose Web Development because it would give me the opportunity to work from anywhere in the world and have flexible hours. I came across several boot camps but they did not work with my schedule or were too expensive. I was happy to find that Practicum by Yandex offered a Web Development program that was online and semi-self-paced. When I say “semi-self-paced” I mean that we don’t have a particular time of day to work on our theory or projects. We do in fact have soft and hard deadlines to get theory and projects completed. I am impressed on how Practicum tries to keep up connected even though we are all across the world. We use Slack to interact with our classmates, tutors and administrators. They are always asking our opinion on how we feel about the program what changes can they make. Practicum provides live coding sessions, webinars and so many more opportunities to connect with others who are currently working in Web Development.