practicum-by-yandex-logo

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex

Practicum by Yandex offers 6 to 10-month online courses in coding-related fields. Students can choose to join one of three programs: Data Scientist, Data Analyst, and Web Developer. Each course includes full access to the online, interactive platform, professional courses with real-life projects, tutor support from an experienced developer, and code reviews. Students graduate with a professional certificate and a portfolio to show potential employers. While in the program, students receive 24/7 support from code reviewers and community managers. Yandex is one of the largest IT companies in Europe.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma. The programs range in price between $1,200 and $2,000. The first 20 hours of each program are free.

Practicum covers the soft skills students will need to get hired. Live coding sessions with tutors from the tech industry and Practicum’s career accelerator will complement a student’s hard skills and make the job search easier. Students also complete a portfolio of up to 15 projects. Practicum offers its graduates career prep courses to help them prepare for the job hunt. Students receive guidance on current job opportunities so that they can find a good fit. Practicum is very serious about helping students find work. If graduates do not get a new job or a promotion within six months of completing the program, Practicum will refund the cost of tuition.

Recent Practicum by Yandex Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (99) reviews for Practicum by Yandex →

Recent Practicum by Yandex News

• Data Analyst

Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, SQL, Python
      Data analysis is a complex and intricate process. It involves collecting and structuring data, formulating and testing hypotheses, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data analysts are essential in business, administration, and science. They work with fundamental tools including Python and its libraries, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data analyst. Over the course of our six-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill Level All you need is a high school education
    • Data Scientist

Data science is a complex and intricate field. It involves structuring and analyzing large amounts of data, employing machine learning to make predictions, identifying patterns, and drawing conclusions. Data scientists are needed in business, manufacturing, and science. They work with tools such as Python and its libraries, including Scikit-Learn and XGBoost, the Jupyter Notebook, and SQL. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior data scientist. Over the course of our eight-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of projects.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Web Developer

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Node.js, Front End, SQL
      A web developer is a software engineer who develops websites using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, builds user interfaces with React (a JavaScript library), works as part of a team with Git, and uses Webpack to bundle project files automatically. Web developers understand how web servers work: they can configure Nginx and build a server in Node.js. Practicum’s mission is to teach you how to use these tools and help you become a competitive junior web developer. Over the course of our 10-month, 20-hour-per-week training course, you’ll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent web developer.
      Minimum Skill LevelAll you need is a high school education
    • Jaia B  User Photo
      Jaia B • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Practicum is by far the BEST learning platform I've used. The learning experience is dynamic and fun.

PROS:
      -The curriculum is up to date and very well designed.
      -We work on real projects immediately applying what we learn on every module.
      -Our projects are reviewed by industry professionals.
      -The learning support comes in many ways: dedicated community managers, classmates, tutors, platform support.
      -The product team at Practicum is constantly improving the learning experience for students. They TRULY care about us.
      -We learn soft and hard skills needed for the real world.
      -The learning journey doesn't feel detached or lonely, and THAT is quite the feat for an online bootcamp.
      -The price is right. The length of program goes accordingly with the content and value we get from the program. Many bootcamps and online platforms offer much much less and cost 2.5X more.
      -They have a free 20 hr program introduction, which is super helpful if you want to find out what the program will be like and if you actually like web development. It's pretty straight forward, there's no catch or nasty surprises.
      -Transparency.

I honestly don't have any CONS. In the past I tried many platforms and was very disappointed. When I found Practicum, I tried the introductory course and was pleasantly surprised to see that in only 20 hrs they thoroughly taught what other programs would take 2 months to teach in a boring and burdensome way. I was very surprised at the quality of the curriculum and was instantly hooked. Right from the beginning we are shown the practical applications to so many abstract and (many times) difficult concepts.
      The program is intense and very rewarding. It has gone above and beyond any expectations I had.

• Leandra M.  User Photo
      Leandra M. • Student Verified via GitHub

Before diving into the world of computer programming, I was a secretary at a doctors office. I
      loved my coworkers and even liked my job but wasn’t being challenged
      enough. I was introduced to programming through sites like
      Codecademy. I immediately fell in love with learning to code and wanted to
      know more. I was lucky enough to be able to leave my full-time job to
      dive into learning further. I started with self-learning through all of the
      free sites you have undoubtedly have heard of, but eventually felt like I was in a rut, constantly learning
      theory but not putting it into practice or knowing if I was doing it
      right! I discovered Practicum by Yandex through a Facebook programming
      group I had joined. I took the free introductory course for web
      development and flew through it. The promise of real world projects,
      actual reviews and a community to be a part of convinced me to sign up.

I am so happy I did! One of the best things for me is now I have
      accountability. The course is split up into two week “sprints” that
      give me a goal to achieve, which is a great motivator for me. The
      sprints are made up of two parts. First is theory, which you read about and then immediately practice
      in exercises. I’m a hands-on learner myself, so practicing what I just
      learned in theory is so helpful. After the theory you work on a real world
      project. For these projects you learn how to use common development tools such as Figma, Github, VScode
      and will have a website of your own creation at the end. Your projects are reviewed by
      professional web developers who give further sources for you to
      research if needed and explain why something should be done a
      different way. We also have a live coding session for every sprint
      that further explains the theory and helps you see coding in action.
      If that wasn’t enough, there is a fantastic community of your fellow
      students set up on the chat program Slack. You are able to ask others who are working
      on the same project you are questions or get advice. It’s so nice to know I’m not
      the only one struggling with a problem or succeeding! You get practice
      in helping others if you can and there are senior students from other
      cohorts that help answer questions as well. On top of that, what I’ve
      found most helpful is my tutor. The tutor is there to answer your
      questions when you don’t know something but in a way that leads you to the
      answer instead of just giving you the solution outright.

Also I can tell everyone on the Practicum team wants me to succeed.
      They give you countless resources and listen to your feedback. They
      want to improve the course for all students.
      If you're on the fence about trying a bootcamp I would say jump over
      and sign up for Practicum by Yandex, you won't regret it!

• Jack Cai  User Photo
      Jack Cai • Perspective Data Scientist • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
        I am writing this review as a current student of Practicum Data Science program, we are about half way of the course and I have to say I love almost every single aspect of this program. I will explain why I say 'almost' later on.
        First, the good things about this program.
      •   This is a very affordable program compared to other big names in the market. At least I know I paid only a fraction of what some other programs would have charged me if I went with other big names. Plus, there is a free intro portion of the program you can try and you will have a better idea of the learning process.
      •   The program is extremely flexible schedule wise. You could be working 40 or even 60 hours a week with your full time job and still are able to fully utilize all study material from the platform, watch all the recording webinars and finish all the tasks and projects. Because you work on your own pace, although there are deadlines for projects and the whole course is consisted of many 2 weeks sprints, there is a project for each sprint, every 3 to 5 sprints will be an integrated project.
      •   The organization and structure of the Practicum is great. You will have a community manager who oversee all your non-academic concerns including schedules, pacing, complains or even when you need a break. The manager is always available and will try the best to accommodate your needs. Then there are tutors who answer questions for tasks in the learning platform and for questions about project. There is an instructor (highly qualified Data Scientist) who not only answer academic questions but also teaching in webinars. There is reviewers to look at your projects and you might have to resubmit them based on their review. There are student experience specialist and marketing specialist who will reach out to students to learn your needs.
      •   Given the length of the program( 8months), it covers a lot of ground in its curriculum. The interactive platform where you learn the curriculum is similar to Leetcode style, the platform is good enough to teach you the new concepts and you will apply them to the following tasks. When the whole program is finished, I will have a great overview of data science and know how to apply each part of DS in a real life problem. I actually spent 5-6 months to research different programs online by looking into their reviews and curriculum, I ended up with Practicum because of the strong curriculum and number of projects to be done.
      •   There are many many more good things about Practicum, but I feel like the 4 points above are most significant to me.

Now, I will talk about why I used 'almost' at the beginning.
          1. There are small bugs in the learning platform here and there, you will find yourself spending extra time to fix your 'already correct answer' just to pass the auto grading system. My suggestion is before they fix those small issues, try to ask as soon as you realize you spend too much time on one problem, because most of the practice questions are relatively easy to medium level.
          2. Sometimes, the tutors and instructor might not be on the same page of your learning progress, they might not answer questions the way you can understand or they often refer to some technique you are not familiar with, sometimes they might not be on the same page of your project reviewer. So as a student, you have to judge which way to go with and learn from different people and always ready to teach yourself from online resources( you will be given a lot of references). Tutors and instructor are great people and more than qualified for their job, it was just some communication issues( different time zone for example) that keeps them from serving students better.

Overall, I will rate my experience excellent with Practicum and honestly it did exceed my expectation. I tried the Web Development free course as well and found it easier than the Data Science one, I understand why some review said they like Web Development more than the Data Science part from Practicum. If you want to become a Data Scientist, you need to be ready to spend excessive amount of time learning from whichever bootcamp/self learning with online resources or both, the more you put in the more you can get. To me, Practicum is good enough as a bootcamp, if I could not find a job after graduation, I will only blame on myself.

• Zhamshidbek Abdulkhamidov  User Photo
      Zhamshidbek Abdulkhamidov • Student Verified via GitHub

I am currently a student at Suleyman Demirel University and here I have learned the basics of programming and a little about web development. The curiosity of learning and exploring new fields of computer science gave me a push to further expand my skills. However, it would be fair to say that I had an understanding of AI from my secondary school years. To be honest, I would say that I was searching for any courses about data science, but the advertisement for this course was all over there and I could not ignore it. It had been half a year since I have started learning on this platform and I have few things about it.

First of all, I would say that the course content is straight-forward and gathered together, which creates a convenient environment. Secondly, the teaching process is mostly project-based, which means that this school prioritizes self-learning. Last, but not least important feature of this school is that the community is friendly: you can easily discuss your progress and have consultations; get feedback about your projects so that you could spot your issues on time; instructors are available and ready to communicate 24/7.

Most favorite part of the course is that it emphasizes self-learning. I would say that this is the most important asset of accelerating on computer science fields nowadays. I definitely recommend this course to those who are seeking the best approach to get into data science.

• Web Development
      - 2/16/2021
      Cayla  User Photo
      Cayla • Student Verified via GitHub
      Through unfortunate circumstances, my life changed significantly.  I needed a career and I had always been interested in web development and coding.  I happened upon Practicum by Yandex's amazing web dev course.  They promised to take me from zero experience to job worthy by the end of the ten months.  I immediately tried out the initial free course and was very impressed and couldn't wait to dive in completely!

The course is broken down into 15 sprints and a final 7 week project.  Each sprint is 2 weeks long.  The first week of each sprint is the course work.  Here the lessons are broken down into short segments of in depth theory where you will learn not only the what's and how's behind web dev, but also the why's and get full in depth knowledge to use later on in your interviews for future jobs.  The short segments are really helpful as it allows for good starting and stopping spots to easily work on the course work during your spare time.  After each theory segment there are tasks where you practice the concepts taught.  The answers are not just given to you; you have to work at it and understand it before proceeding to the next section.  During the second week of each sprint you apply the newly learned skills to ongoing projects.  You will complete 3 full projects as well as a final project.  The first few sprints work with a project that is only HTML/CSS.  Then you have a project in HTML/CSS/JS and lastly you convert the JS project into React and add all the backend functions through node.

Not only are the course work and projects well thought out and wonderfully done, but the class community and staff on the Practicum team is easily accessible and ready to help in any way they can.  You will be assigned a cohort of students that go along with you at the same pace.  You can even pair program with them and take turns teaching each other to cement the skills you are learning even more concretely.   You get to know the students which encourages you to keep up the pace and not fall behind to a different cohort, as the students become your friends.  The tutors are very helpful and do weekly videos on troubled topics.  They are ready to answer any questions you have or help you when you are stuck on the course work.   This amazing team wants you to succeed and will help you do so!

I fully recommend this course.  It is phenomenal.  Just when you are too tired to continue, they throw in some humor to lighten the mood and keep you going.  In this program, you will become a web developer!
    • Denis Pankov  User Photo
      Denis Pankov • Web Developer Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Have research many companies before I have found Practicum by Yandex. Great company, very intensive course on Web Development - 10 month. I have found it very challenging and it gives you all the right tools that you would use on a job. I'm 8 months in, so a few more months until graduation and I have already made a website for a small company from scratch on the side. Still a lot to learn, but it gets more interesting once you start to understand what are you doing. With the skills you obtain from this course you'll be more than a Junior Web Developer, I think, it's mote close to middle level, since you learning front and end. So, I definitely recommend this course to anyone, who wants to change and secure your future. Good Luck and Happy Coding.)
    • Mabelly Tuchsznajder  User Photo
      Mabelly Tuchsznajder • Marketing Data Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I'm a Marketing Data Analyst, and I found Yandex one of the best online programs for those, like myself,  who want to give the next step in the Data Science field. The program has great content, challenging exercises, and real-world projects. But those aren't what makes Yandex one of the best online programs I have attended so far. Yandex's major advantage is how its tutors, project reviewers, and community managers deal with students' questions. First, they are professionals with real-world experience in the field, and, second and most important, all explanations or articles recommended by them are straight to the point and accurate. That said, I recommend Practicum by Yandex for anyone who wants to get into the Data Science field or brush up her/his skills
    • William Schutte  User Photo
      William Schutte • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      While its possible to find all the information you would need to know on the internet (Udemy, Coursera, Youtube), bootcamps like this are for those who would prefer a little more structure and guidance. The curriculum covers the MERN stack in enough detail to help you become proficient in each technology and the projects they have you do are a step (or two) above those you'll find in a lot of other bootcamps. They just look more professional, they are well thought out, and you spend enough time on them to make them both fully-functional and polished. No hastily put-together, poorly designed projects here. Also, the entire team is so caring and thoughtful, and are willing to help in any way they can. They really make the program feel personal.
      Having completed the web dev course, I feel I have all the skills to be a React Developer, FrontEnd Dev, or Web Developer, and have already had several interviews this month. I will say though, if you truly want to succeed, you still need to put in work outside the class. You need to practice coding and make more projects, create a portfolio, and apply to a ton of jobs. This is not a golden ticket in the tech industry, but it is a very effective guiding hand into a new career.
    • Jake  User Photo
      Jake • Student • Student Verified via GitHub
      *This is a review of the Introductory Course not the full course*

Disclaimer: After graduating the Introductory Course, I've enrolled in the Full Web Developer Course and will begin studying next month for ten months. I'm writing this before I've begun the full course.

Like many looking to break into software engineering, I found myself caught between the multitudes of tutorial websites and the more expensive bootcamps. While one offered some education at a low cost, graduates of tutorial course are rarely employable, or so it seems. While bootcamp grads more employable, the costs of attaining that level of knowledge and experience is prohibitive. Practicum by Yandex fell right in the middle, offering a full-stack education at a more reasonable tuition price. All this lead me to give the introductory course a shot, and I was glad I did.

The course breaks down a simple project into digestible chunks in an online learning environment that allows for immediate feedback an expansive look into each topic. Upon completing the course, I'm in no way an expert in HTML or CSS (that's what the full course... and the many years after are for) but I do have a solid grasp on the fundamentals. While many tutorials I've completed seem to focus on the theoretical rather than the practical, Practicum actually had me doing stuff. In the process doing stuff, I began to understand the broader concepts themselves. I created the design for website, I understand why it looks the way it looks, and I had fun along the way.

I'd recommend the introductory course for anyone looking to get into web development, and if the full course is anything like the introductory course, I'm sure it will teach you a ton.

Curriculum: This course jumps into the basics of HTML and CSS. While not comprehensive, it makes the subjects easy to understand in a short amount of time. The topics start small, and snowball upwards, meaning that things rarely felt overwhelming or discouraging.

Instructors: The instructing in this course comes in two main ways. The main form of instruction, is a series of readings, automated chats, and coding sessions that introduce topics, have you talk about them, then have you execute them yourself. While there's no human that you talk to in this section of instruction, the feel is light but thorough, entertaining yet educational. Outside of the in-browser learning environment, the course Slack community is very active. If you can get your question answered online, there are plenty of people on Slack to help get you through a problem.
    • Justice DelCore  User Photo
      Justice DelCore • Student • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I just started the full data scientist course by Practicum. Before that, I did the introduction course and that went really well! The course was difficult but, it allowed me to get a full view of what I would be doing in the data scientist course. The nice thing about the introduction course is that you can not only ask questions through the slack channel and get answers but, you can also ask questions on the learning platform and get help right away! The transition from the introduction course to the full program is smooth. Another, thing that is nice is if you don't remember something that you learned from the introduction course you can just go back and practice the skill! One thing that is consistent throughout all of my experience is the knowledge that this course is going to difficult but, the staff is there to make sure that you are successful in the process. All in all, I am super excited to continue the course and gain the skills to become a data scientist.
    • Arnold Ndiwalana   User Photo
      Arnold Ndiwalana • Student Verified via GitHub
      I have just joined the Web developer program at Practicum by Yandex but I was impressed with the free intro course. it gets you in the mood to learn and the way it is structured as an interactive session is amazing. The scenarios used make you feel part of a team at a startup and you are the new developer who is learning at the new job. The support staff is always there to help in case of any challenges.
      I gained confidence in coding skills and am excited about what the full course has to offer.