nyc-data-science-academy-logo

NYC Data Science Academy

New York City, Online

NYC Data Science Academy

NYC Data Science Academy offers 12-week, accredited data science and data analytics bootcamps in New York City and live online. NYC Data Science Academy is a nationally accredited Data Science Bootcamp in the U.S that teaches both Python and R. In the program, students will learn beginner and intermediate levels of Data Science with Hadoop, Spark, Github, Docker, SQL, R, and Python packages like XgBoost, Caret, Dplyr, Ggplot2, Pandas, Scikit-learn, and more. The program distinguishes itself by balancing intensive lectures with real-world project work and the breadth of its curriculum. The academy is well known for its industry project-oriented learning experience and well-immersed community established since 2013.

Students will work on at least four individual or team projects showcased to employers through private hiring partner events, student blogs, meetups, and film presentations. The academy also offers strong lifetime career support such as tech interview prep, mock interviews, unlimited mentorships, and 1-on-1 post-interview reviews and feedback from career mentors to help students ace their interviews.

Recent NYC Data Science Academy Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (336) reviews for NYC Data Science Academy →

Recent NYC Data Science Academy News

Read all (26) articles about NYC Data Science Academy →
  • 12-Weeks In-Person/ Remote Live Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

Start Date January 03, 2022
    LocationNew York City
    In this program students will learn the modern data analytic techniques and master the requisite skills, such as Python and R programming languages as well as Hadoop, to address real-world data science problems. Throughout the program, students work alone and in teams to create at least five projects that are showcased to employers. Along the way, students will have assistance in preparing for the job search through resume review, interview preparation, and opportunities to interview with our hiring partners. Successful completion of the curriculum will present a certification of graduation certified by the New York State Board of Education.
    Deposit$5,000
    $397.88 pm for 60 months
    Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loan. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
    Refund / GuaranteeNYC Data Science Academy’s refund policy adheres to both ACCET and NYS Education Department guidelines. Visit https://nycdatascience.com/refund-and-regulations/ for more details.
    ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Prep WorkPrerequisite online coursework includes a total of forty hours of work and over two hundred exercises. The Prework will prepare students to work with both R and Python as well as revisit basic concepts in linear algebra, calculus, and statistics. Mathema
    January 03, 2022 - New York City Apply by December 27, 2021
  • 7-weeks In Person/ Remote Live Data Analytics Bootcamp

Data Analytics , R, Data Visualization, Data Science
    LocationOnline, New York City
    It is an accelerated training program in which students learn the major tools and methods for performing data analyses and apply them to various projects typically found in real-life business situations. Students learn to employ R and Python for data analytics projects and for presenting research results effectively. DABC502 Data Science Toolkit DABC506 Data Analytics with Python DABC511 Data Analytics with R DABC516 Business Cases in Data Science DABC519 Data Analytics Capstone Project
    Deposit$5,000

Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loans. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
  • Introductory Python

LocationOnline, New York City
    This is a class for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming. The course is aimed at those who want to learn “data wrangling” – manipulating downloaded files to make them amenable to analysis. We concentrate on language basics such as list and string manipulation, control structures, simple data analysis packages, and introduce modules for downloading data from the web.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis Introductory Python class is designed for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming.
    Prep WorkIn the class, we will use Python 3. If you are following this video to set up Python environment, please make sure you download the Python 3.X version starting from 1 min 23 s in the video. Link: https://vimeo.com/160172414
  • Online Data Analytics Bootcamp

[Online Data Analytics Bootcamp: Online Learning, 1-on-1 Mentor, 3 Months] Data analysis skills can be utilized in virtually every industry, making people in the workforce more valuable. Any opportunity to increase your value in your career can pay off big time. It's also an investment to help boost upward mobility in currently held positions. The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover Data Analytics with R, Data Analytics with Python, Business Cases in Data Science, and Data Analytics Capstone projects.

• Online Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover R, Python, Machine Learning Theory, Big Data, and Deep Learning. Access instructions at your convenience Plan your schedules to meet learning objectives Asynchronous interactions with instructors and staff One-on-one support by academic mentors Longer time to master curricular competencies Lifetime career support to help you find a job upon graduation Connection with Data Science professionals and NYCDSA alumni Online Data Science Bootcamp - Full-time: 16 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 30-40 hours/week Online Data Science Bootcamp - Part-time: 24 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 20-30 hours/week
    • Full Tuition Total $17,600
    • Climb Credit Loan $400* pm for 60 months
    • SkillsFund Student Loan $397.88 pm for 60 months

ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Minimum Skill LevelIdeal applicants should have a Masters or Ph.D. degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math or equivalent experience of quantitative science or programming.
    Prep Workhttp://blog.nycdatascience.com/faculty/data-science-bootcamp-pre-work/
  • phoebe zhou  User Photo
    phoebe zhou • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

For someone without much programing experience or statistical training but want to get into data science. This is a great bootcamp for you to start. This does not mean it's easy, you still will have a lot of struggle and late night working on projects, but the school sets a great learning path and offer amazing assistance along the way.
    I'll list a few reasons why I picked NYCDSA : First, it has the most comprehensive and transparent curriculum online. It covers both Python and R and the skills and toolsets you get to use on the 4 projects are the most widely used ones across the industry. Second, it has pre-work and devotes the first 4 weeks of the bootcamp to review and practice the programming skills in the pre-work. This is really helpful for someone not coming from a CS background like me, helps me to better focus and learn the machine learning concepts that come later in the course. Third, the school is always updating the curriculum to catch up with the trend such as including deep learning and big data track upon students choice. Fourth, the final project is with real companies and dealing with real world business problems, which is always good talk about during job interviews. Fifth, the job hunting assistance is super,  vivian is always on top of everything and ready to help.
    Having finished the program and landing a job offer after a few months. I'd say joining NYCDSA is definitely one of the best choices of my life. I have got what I came for, which is switch my career path. But I realized I gained so much more than that. I made a lot life-long friends who share the same passion and will continue to support each other in the future career.

• Elsa Vera Amores  User Photo
    Elsa Vera Amores • Associate Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am a Biology PhD and and I took the summer Data Science bootcamp at NYC Data Science Academy (NYCDSA). I can say that it exceeded my expectations in all stages of the journey towards a Data Science career. My objective of transitioning to a Data Scientist position was met in less than a month of full time job searching after finishing the bootcamp. I was actually accepted to the Data Incubator program but decided to join NYCDSA instead given its longer duration, stronger focus on education and broader job placement opportunities.

The twelve weeks of the bootcamp were the most intense and productive weeks of my life. I have never learned so much and so fast (and I’m a PhD!) If you work hard, the final product is beautiful -- a well rounded Data Science portfolio with 4 creative projects that showcase different Data Science tools with its corresponding Github repositories, a polished resume and a solid coding and Machine Learning knowledge. My perspective on the different stages of the process are the following:

1. Pre-work. I appreciate the fact that NYCDSA provides your with interactive material to work through R and Python basics. I methodically worked through it 4 months prior the start date. Having dedicated time and effort to this part gave me a kick-start and allowed me to reinforce that knowledge during the bootcamp.

2. Bootcamp. The quality of  the projects, Github repositories and preparation for Data Scientist interviews depends on the effort you put in this part. I can only encourage you to carefully work on every project and every class. It pays out. The curriculum is very complete and the Machine Learning classes are exceptional; something I would latter appreciate during my on site interviews. NYCDSA also gives coaching for interview and resume preparation and even provides a professional headshot.

3. The job search. I did not expect so much help and support in the job search process. I had regular follow up with NYCDSA hiring team and referrals for many companies through their contacts. I also had the chance to do a mock interview with one of the NYCDSA connections.

Summing up, I fully endorse NYCDSA as an institution that provides a solid foundation of Data Science skills and support that allows student to be successful in their new career.

• Nikhil Krishnan  User Photo
    Nikhil Krishnan • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Anthony was great - really got into the practical uses of python for data analysis and had really useful analogies to understanding different topics and concepts. Really enjoyed the class and felt like I could take something practical away from it.

• Aungshuman Zaman  User Photo
    Aungshuman Zaman • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

First, a little about my background. I have a PhD in physics. In the years I spent in graduate school I had gained some experience in coding, statistics and data analysis. I did not have industry experience and was not really sure how to switch to the field of Data Science after so many years in academia. In the spring of 2018, when I was looking to join a Data Science bootcamp, I searched for programs which would put strong emphasis on both Python and R, and also provide me with ample opportunities to do project work, i.e., let me build a data product from scratch. The project part was particularly important to me because I felt that will be extremely valuable when interviewing for jobs. NYC Data Science academy seemed to fill the bill prefectly, so I decided to join them for the summer 2018 cohort. I will admit that I was a little sceptical about the utility of a 12-week bootcamp. But four months on, after graduating and now landing a data scientist job, I can unequivocally say that joining the bootcamp turned out to be a great decision for me. Of course in any intense bootcamp like this, it depends largely on you what you are going to get out of it. The thing the bootcamp does really well is to provide you with great resources-- very knowledgable and approachable faculty, a very good team of teaching assistants, good course materials, and excellent level of job assistance. Last but not the least, I had the chance to make a bunch of very close friends, who will form the backbone of my data science network for many years to come. I highly recommend this program specifically for people who are switching from academia.

• Sophie Geoghan  User Photo
    Sophie Geoghan • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to this program with a background in neuroscience, lots of coding in MATLAB, and lots of statistics but NO experience with Python, R, or most Machine Learning techniques. And I got exactly what I wanted to get out of it: lots of great practical experience in R, Python, various machine learning/statistics, and a confidence in approaching technical interviews. The program starts slow with Prework that is essential especially if one has never coded before, but also very useful even if you have experience in a different language (like me in MATLAB), and then it ramps up fast. By week 6 you've completed two aggressive projects in a data visualization app and web-scraping. The last two projects are ML-related and boosted my confidence in applying, evaluating, and discussing these techniques (very important for interviews). By the end, you are ready for the job search, and they were very helpful in getting us to make as many connections as possible. This program can be as challenging as you want - the materials and the instructors are there to help you succeed with as ambitious a project as you might want. Unlike university/regular school, they are not there to handhold or even grade you. They set the expectations and are there to help you meet or surpass them. I was mostly motivated by myself and my peers, who were a diverse and impressive bunch. I was happy to note that our cohort had a gender ratio of about 50/50, although depends from group to group. I ultimately chose NYCDSA because I wanted experience in both R and Python, and I am glad that I did. Overall, it was exactly what I wanted it to be, and I am very confident in my data science skills because of it.
  • Tracey  User Photo
    Tracey • Financial Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I have worked in financial services for 8 years and realized how technology has changed this industry so I decided to learn data science. With master in economics and CFA,  I think my weakness is programming and modeling, getting a proper training would be the most efficient way to make me a data scientist. While comparing a few bootcamp programs, I chose NYCDS for 3 reasons: 1. Great content: teaching both R and Python, also include hands on sessions for SQL, AWS, deep learning, NLP etc; 2. Great teacher and students: the founder and fellow teachers, guest teachers all worked on or currently working on data science projects in different industry, students having strong background with different domin knowledge; 3. The online full-time program fits my schdule after discussion with my manager.The skills I learned by completeing the 4 projects could be directly apply to my work.

The 12 week bootcamp was intense, but I learned so much by pushing myself to my limit. I am not only self-motivated, but also motivated by my peers. I felt so exctied about the synergy between my and my teammates in group projects while working hard together. While achieving my goel of improving programming and modeling skills, I also becoming much more open-minded and not afraid to start from begining learning new technical skills at any time. After completing the bootcamp, I applied the skills I learned and created an application at work which is becoming a popular tool.

NYCDS is very supportive, teachers, TAs, fellow students, alumni as well as the founder of the school can provide you any resource you need to help you achieve your goal. If I can redo this program again, the only change I will make is applying earlier. In this way, I can prepare myself longer in the pre-bootcamp training so that I can explore more during the bootcamp. This bootcamp is a life change experience for me. I highly recommend this program!

• Alex Baransky  User Photo
    Alex Baransky • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Summary

The NYC Data Science Academy is a wonderful organisation comprised of passionate and deeply knowledgeable people. Their curriculum is top notch, fast but fairly paced, and teaches the skills needed to be successful in any data scientist position. The course requires completion of four major projects which not only gives you real coding experience, but enables you to walk away from the program with solid evidence that you have the coding skills and knowledge of theory required to be successful in the field of data science. Along the way, you will make many new friends and you will expand your network of data scientists to help in your job search. If you work hard to make the best effort you can, three months from now you will be writing a review just like me about how you made the right call to join the NYC Data Science Academy.

My Background

I graduated with a bachelor's in Biology from an Ivy League school in December 2017. While looking for jobs, I realized that if I wanted to land the kind of research position I wanted I had a much longer road in academia than I had originally anticipated. I ran into an old friend who had completed a web development bootcamp and he told me to look into similar programs. After speaking with another friend who is a CTO of a startup, he suggested that I look into data science programs because of the increasing demand in the field. I had some experience coding in Java, but nothing crazy and I hadn't really coded in years. I have always had an interest in computers and I really enjoy the problem solving aspect of data science, so I figured I'd take the risk to change career paths.

The Course

I had three specific things in mind when searching for the right program for me. These were:

1. Multiple projects throughout the program
    2. Reviewed highly by graduates
    3. Programming languages taught include Python, R, and SQL

I think these are important qualities for any data science program, but they were specifically important to me because I was making the switch from a non-technical field.

First, the projects were a must because I wanted to leave the program knowing I had something concrete to show employers. NYC Data Science Academy has 4 dedicated projects so that when you graduate from the program you have solid evidence of your skills as a data scientist. The last is a capstone project which allows you to work with a real business on a real business problem. This is a great opportunity to prove your worth as a data scientist.

Second, I wanted to find a program that was rated very highly by its graduates. NYC Data Science Academy has some of the best reviews I've seen of any data science program, and for good reason. The instructors have a deep understanding of the material and they are both friendly and professional. The curriculum is as hard as it needs to be for a 12-week program, but the pace the instructors set is fair. The TAs are a tremendous resource and they are available for a reasonable amount of time to get your questions in. The course explores the most important aspects of data science and challenges you with case studies and coding challenges so that you can get a good idea of what to expect when you enter the industry.

Third, I was looking for a program that taught Python, R, and SQL. These three languages are the most highly saught after in data science jobs I have seen, so learning them gives you a solid base for most opportunities out there. Many bootcamps offer Python, R, or SQL, but few offer all three. NYC Data Science Academy is one of those few.

The Result

I was originally thinking about using free online resources to teach myself data science techniques, but after going through the bootcamp process, I am extremely glad I made the investment. I was able to accomplish in 3 months what would have taken me over a year to do by myself. I was also pleasantly suprised at how close I became with my fellow classmates. They were all wonderful and intelligent people and I now have a close network of capable data scientists who I can call upon in the future if I find myself in a rut. This is a massively valuable resource that I didn't even consider when applying for the bootcamp.

The job preperation workshops were also immensely helpful when preparing for the job search. Things like resume reviews, mock interviews, and coding challenges helped to ease me into the world of professional interviewing. I am now on my way to becoming an expert interviewer. There is also a networking event at the conclusion of the program which allows you to get in touch with a diverse group of companies looking to hire. The very next week after graduating from the bootcamp I was actively talking with multiple employers.

I remember reading in a lot of bootcamp reviews that what you get out is what you put in. I will reiterate this because it is absolutely true. This program is not a day care, its purpose is not to motivate you or convince you that this is your path. This program is meant to supply you with all the resources and tools you need to be successful in a data science career. If you go in with the mindset that you will work hard and do your best to learn more material than you thought you could, you will be successful. NYC Data Science Academy has everything you need to be a success, you just need to make the effort to reach out and take it.

• Silvia  User Photo
    Silvia • Data Analysis Intern • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The experience in NYC Data Science Academy is life changing for me. I am a graduate student in New York University studyng Psychology. Before I entered the bootcamp, I had almost none exposure to coding, programming, not to mention machine learning.

The instructors are professional and helpful. Six weeks into this bootcamp, I found my current internship for a data analyst position. What I have leanred in the bootcamp helped me pass the technical interview and got me the job. I do appreciate it a lot.

If you come from a background that is barely related to data science, programming or statistics, this bootcamp will get you started on a career for a data scientist. Other than technical skills, the bootcamp will also provide you with an approachable platform for job opportunities. At the end of the bootcamp, there will be a hiring event where over 100 recruiters will come and talk to you. About 30-50% of the students will find a job on that event. Most of my cohort got an on-site interview from at least one company.

If you are looking for a job, then this bootcamp will be a perfect fit for you.

• Wenchang Qian  User Photo
    Wenchang Qian • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

First of all, unlike many bootcamp students, I didn’t come from a background with coding or science, nor do I have a master degree. And I am currently a data scientist working at a startup, helping brands to understand their customers better through an emotional lens using Natural Language Processing. This definitely to certain extent proves not only the rigorousness of the course disciplines and the willingness from the bootcamp to go an extra mile to help the students who don’t come from a ‘regular’ background to succeed.

I picked NYC DSA as the academy’s overall rating was simply the best across all data science bootcamps on the East Coast and the backgrounds of the instructors listed on the website were impressive to me. Coming from a business and consulting background, I consider myself very hardworking and competitive - I only wanted the best and NYC DSA was simply just it.

What I Loved about the Bootcamp:

• The Depth of knowledge of the instructors, especially Aiko Liu (Aiko really influenced the way how I think about data science problems and he paved a really good knowledge foundation for us)
    • The Rigorousness of the course disciplines
    • The fantastic quality of classmates (they will be your best friends and your network after you graduate in three months)
    • The emphasis on solving practical business problems with data science skillsets (this is critical for you to find a job on the East Coast)
    • The partnership with big corporations for capstone projects

Some Suggestions:

• I wish the academy could focus less on R and more on Python. Maybe they have changed the balance currently. During the time of my enrollment, it was 50% R and 50% Python. Although R is a very useful programming language for statistical analysis and visualization, Python is the dominant language in the data science field. If you are just about to attend the bootcamp, I would suggest you place a larger focus on Python and practice data science problems with Python as much as possible.
    • I wish the academy could test or at least walk through some interview-level challenges/case studies methodologically to the students during the three months of experience. I believe this will not only prepare the students better in terms of what to expect from a data science interview, but also help the students start formulating thought processes related to solving data science problems.

- 10/27/2018
    William Kye  User Photo
    William Kye Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience with N?YCDSA with great. No bootcamp is perfect (there's a lot of information to pack in 12-15 weeks), but I thought NYCDSA did a great job of providing the teaching, resources, and curriculum to be a competitive job candidate after graduating.

The atmosphere is very collegial where student and teaching assistant constantly are trying to help eachother and make sure everyone is getting the most out of the program. That being said, there is a lot of variance in where each student is coming from beforehand. So its important for each individual to seek help when necessary (which isn't very hard given how friend and accomodating the instructors are)

After the bootcamp, Vivian and the others put a strong emphasis on putting us in the best position to succeed. Whether that was prep interviews, sending job postings, or just checking up. Overall would recommend!
  • Michael Chuang  User Photo
    Michael Chuang • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

To begin, my experience with NYCDSA was excellent. The curriculum was comprehensive, instructors were knowledgeable,and my cohort-mates, friendly. I set out to attend a data science bootcamp after spending several years in tech consulting and at a marketing startup as an implementation and integration lead. I decided to attend NYCDSA particularly because it looked to have the most rigorous curriculum and advanced student projects compared to other camps I had looked into. With that, it was definitely a challenging and time-consuming experience but one that I am grateful for going through.

On the whole, I thought the material was very practical and accommodated the wide spectrum of experience levels that my cohort contained (from fresh college grads to experienced PHDs). The course covered broad topics in data science with enough depth to be applied in the real world, so I now feel empowered to further my learning and tackle even harder data/tech problems after the camp. The instructors are all capable and are more than willing to help troubleshoot technical problems that will inevitably come up. The cohort is 40+ students so their time is obviously at a premium and you should expect to drive a lot of your own learning. However this actually made for stronger connections within my cohort as well since we were able to rely on each other to review our understanding of concepts, collaborate on projects, and have fun after hours.

After the bootcamp, NYCDSA notified me of many potential job opening as well as acted as a recommendation. I felt as though they were always prepared to support me given that I had everything prepared on my end as well. Obviously not every student will have a completely smooth experience with the job search process, but I’m confident that anyone who is willing to put in the effort and dedication in learning the material and crafting their applications will be able to advance a career in data after attending. Since graduating, I started a contractor role at Spotify, which eventually lead me to secure a full-time position at Facebook several months later. And while I put in considerable personal effort to secure these roles, I also know it would not have been possible with the skills and support I received (and continue to receive) from NYCDSA.
  • Fan Zhang  User Photo
    Fan Zhang • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had a truly rewarding experience at NYCDSA. The staff is professional and friendly, and the material is relevant for a wide range of data professions.

Before I joined NYCDSA, I had researched and reviewed several other similar boorcamps. I think NYCDSA really cares and help you to success.

The program helped me to open the doors to several opportunities for me and the staff sets time aside to help you position and present yourself well for job interviews. I have accepted good amount job interviews since I have graduated from NYCDSA, and felt very well prepared for the interview process. Five stars!

If you are less familiar with coding (which I was), then you really need to do your pre-course very well. Because once the bootcamp starts, the foundation is very important. Patience and getting comfortable with the process of coding is absolutely essential.