nyc-data-science-academy-logo

NYC Data Science Academy

New York City, Online

NYC Data Science Academy

NYC Data Science Academy offers 12-week, accredited data science and data analytics bootcamps in New York City and live online. NYC Data Science Academy is a nationally accredited Data Science Bootcamp in the U.S that teaches both Python and R. In the program, students will learn beginner and intermediate levels of Data Science with Hadoop, Spark, Github, Docker, SQL, R, and Python packages like XgBoost, Caret, Dplyr, Ggplot2, Pandas, Scikit-learn, and more. The program distinguishes itself by balancing intensive lectures with real-world project work and the breadth of its curriculum. The academy is well known for its industry project-oriented learning experience and well-immersed community established since 2013.

Students will work on at least four individual or team projects showcased to employers through private hiring partner events, student blogs, meetups, and film presentations. The academy also offers strong lifetime career support such as tech interview prep, mock interviews, unlimited mentorships, and 1-on-1 post-interview reviews and feedback from career mentors to help students ace their interviews.

Recent NYC Data Science Academy Reviews: Rating 4.85

all (343) reviews for NYC Data Science Academy →

Recent NYC Data Science Academy News

Read all (28) articles about NYC Data Science Academy →
  • 12-Weeks In-Person/ Remote Live Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

Start Date January 03, 2022
    LocationNew York City
    In this program students will learn the modern data analytic techniques and master the requisite skills, such as Python and R programming languages as well as Hadoop, to address real-world data science problems. Throughout the program, students work alone and in teams to create at least five projects that are showcased to employers. Along the way, students will have assistance in preparing for the job search through resume review, interview preparation, and opportunities to interview with our hiring partners. Successful completion of the curriculum will present a certification of graduation certified by the New York State Board of Education.
    Deposit$5,000
    $397.88 pm for 60 months
    Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loan. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
    Refund / GuaranteeNYC Data Science Academy’s refund policy adheres to both ACCET and NYS Education Department guidelines. Visit https://nycdatascience.com/refund-and-regulations/ for more details.
    ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Prep WorkPrerequisite online coursework includes a total of forty hours of work and over two hundred exercises. The Prework will prepare students to work with both R and Python as well as revisit basic concepts in linear algebra, calculus, and statistics. Mathema
    January 03, 2022 - New York City Apply by December 27, 2021
  • 7-weeks In Person/ Remote Live Data Analytics Bootcamp

Data Analytics , R, Data Visualization, Data Science
    LocationOnline, New York City
    It is an accelerated training program in which students learn the major tools and methods for performing data analyses and apply them to various projects typically found in real-life business situations. Students learn to employ R and Python for data analytics projects and for presenting research results effectively. DABC502 Data Science Toolkit DABC506 Data Analytics with Python DABC511 Data Analytics with R DABC516 Business Cases in Data Science DABC519 Data Analytics Capstone Project
    Deposit$5,000

Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loans. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
  • Introductory Python

LocationOnline, New York City
    This is a class for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming. The course is aimed at those who want to learn “data wrangling” – manipulating downloaded files to make them amenable to analysis. We concentrate on language basics such as list and string manipulation, control structures, simple data analysis packages, and introduce modules for downloading data from the web.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis Introductory Python class is designed for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming.
    Prep WorkIn the class, we will use Python 3. If you are following this video to set up Python environment, please make sure you download the Python 3.X version starting from 1 min 23 s in the video. Link: https://vimeo.com/160172414
  • Online Data Analytics Bootcamp

[Online Data Analytics Bootcamp: Online Learning, 1-on-1 Mentor, 3 Months] Data analysis skills can be utilized in virtually every industry, making people in the workforce more valuable. Any opportunity to increase your value in your career can pay off big time. It's also an investment to help boost upward mobility in currently held positions. The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover Data Analytics with R, Data Analytics with Python, Business Cases in Data Science, and Data Analytics Capstone projects.

• Online Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover R, Python, Machine Learning Theory, Big Data, and Deep Learning. Access instructions at your convenience Plan your schedules to meet learning objectives Asynchronous interactions with instructors and staff One-on-one support by academic mentors Longer time to master curricular competencies Lifetime career support to help you find a job upon graduation Connection with Data Science professionals and NYCDSA alumni Online Data Science Bootcamp - Full-time: 16 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 30-40 hours/week Online Data Science Bootcamp - Part-time: 24 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 20-30 hours/week
    • Full Tuition Total $17,600
    • Climb Credit Loan $400* pm for 60 months
    • SkillsFund Student Loan $397.88 pm for 60 months

ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Minimum Skill LevelIdeal applicants should have a Masters or Ph.D. degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math or equivalent experience of quantitative science or programming.
    Prep Workhttp://blog.nycdatascience.com/faculty/data-science-bootcamp-pre-work/

I have mixed feelings. The students are really the best part about the program. They have such an eclectic background that I learned a lot from them. The classes themselves are at best, overpriced. The materials and intruction is roughy on par with what you'd find in Coursera courses. I don't regret the program and I did learn a lot, but I question the value for the cost. That said, it probably depends on your needs. If you need time where you solely devote yourself with like-minded individuals, it might be worth it. If you place emphasis on the curriculum and instruction, there is a slew of resources out there that are at least as decently taught (if not better), but at a much better value. Also, the curriculum states there are advisors, but although they may be advisors to the program, you'll only see one or two of them for a short 30 minute talk at the end of the program.

This course reallly gave me the foundation for understand R and applying it to real world data. Studying programming syntax can be challenging and Vivian really encouraged me to complete the final presentation. I am so glad I did!! I now have the confidence to work in R and use in the workplace. Thank you NYC Data Science Academy!! See you again soon.

This is a very conprehensive course covering R data analysis and visualization techniques. I can't remeber everything I learned in this class, but whenever I encountered data project in my work and study, I always went back to check the slides, examples and libraries provided by this course.

Vivian is a very passionate instructor and an excellent data scientists. She offers many hands-on example in class, not just reading and showing slides. She is very serious about the course and push students in a "hard" way. She encouraged all of us to try, I can't get lazy because of her.

In general, this is a very postive experience. Just squeeze some time in the weekend, you will be amazed how much you can learn within 1-2 months.

I have posted a review also in a different website - but also wanted to share my opinions on this website for others to consider.

I took the Beginner R course, which was not that great reflecting back on it. In whatever class you take, the teachers make most of the difference, and in my case, we were not taught well. In the end, I cannot even remember if I have absorbed anything at all except for doing basic statistics in R. We were told that Vivian, the founder, would visit, but she never visited. While doing self-study on free R online courses such as EdX, I discovered that the materials we received in this course was similar to what I found in these free online courses about R.

In the end, we presented our projects, but all of our projects were half-baked, because we did not absorb enough knowledge about R to prepare and present. Although my project was really using the bare basics of R, such as basic statistics (e.g. average, max, min), Vivian said that I did a great job and that I should sign up for the R Intermediate course. She kept on pressuring and asking me when I can join, and I later realized that this academy was really focused on making money off the data science buzz rather than really teaching students about how to master data science.

Learning to code requires a lot of work - this class gave me the push to invest the time necessary in a structured manner. I found the lecture notes and homework problem sets very useful. Compared to content found on MOOCs and general online searches, the class curriculum is a lot more practical and concrete.

Our instructor Liz is very helpful and accommodating. The classroom environment was open to questions/discussion, and Liz was very willing to take the extra step to help me improve my final project.

PROS:

- Very strong curriculum coverage - maximizes the hours that we had in lecture quite effectively. I was able to do a lot more at the end of class than I originally anticipated, and I now have a base of knowledge to apply it to my daily work

- Great schedule - it's hard to find a weekend class for those who work longer hours on the weekdays

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FUTURE:

- More problem sets / heavier homework. I learned a lot through the homework and in-class problem sets. Having more problems / worked solutions, even if optional, could really help reinforce concepts faster

- I do think people came in with different amounts of knowledge/background experience. Maybe one thing to help equalize the starting field is to assign some 'pre-work' / 'pre-reading' ahead of the class so that a baseline can be established and more time can be spent on the analysis/visualization portion

• Great Experience!!
    - 10/23/2018
    Felipe Santos • Data Scientist • Student

The staff are friendly, and well prepared.
    This bootcamp helped me to consolidate and organize my knowledge.
    I feel that they gave me exactly what I was looking for, before the bootcamp I was not so sure about my models, now I feel great doing what I do. This is priceless.

If you have any doubts about those guys, please don't. They are super honest people, for sure this is a trust worthy organisation.

Thank you guys, if any of you from NYDSA read this.

Felipe.

• Chuanhao Nie • Graduate

I attend the bootcamp because one of my friends' recommendation that the bootcamp is a great place to get hands on experience of data science. Actually this bootcamp is as good as I expected. The bootcamp offer everything related to data science, not only the advanced part such as machine learning and deep learning, but also fundamental skills like Pyhton, R and SQL. After the bootcamp, I feel like I am prepared to apply for data science job.

I will never forget the 3 month study experience which is owesome. The teachers and assistant here are very knowledgeble. The classmates are also great who have very strong acdemic/working experience. People here are PHDs or masters with around 2-10 years' working experience. I would highly recommend NYCDSA.