nyc-data-science-academy-logo

NYC Data Science Academy

New York City, Online

NYC Data Science Academy

NYC Data Science Academy offers 12-week, accredited data science and data analytics bootcamps in New York City and live online. NYC Data Science Academy is a nationally accredited Data Science Bootcamp in the U.S that teaches both Python and R. In the program, students will learn beginner and intermediate levels of Data Science with Hadoop, Spark, Github, Docker, SQL, R, and Python packages like XgBoost, Caret, Dplyr, Ggplot2, Pandas, Scikit-learn, and more. The program distinguishes itself by balancing intensive lectures with real-world project work and the breadth of its curriculum. The academy is well known for its industry project-oriented learning experience and well-immersed community established since 2013.

Students will work on at least four individual or team projects showcased to employers through private hiring partner events, student blogs, meetups, and film presentations. The academy also offers strong lifetime career support such as tech interview prep, mock interviews, unlimited mentorships, and 1-on-1 post-interview reviews and feedback from career mentors to help students ace their interviews.

Recent NYC Data Science Academy Reviews: Rating 4.85

all (355) reviews for NYC Data Science Academy →

Recent NYC Data Science Academy News

Read all (29) articles about NYC Data Science Academy →
  • 12-Weeks In-Person/ Remote Live Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

LocationNew York City
    In this program students will learn the modern data analytic techniques and master the requisite skills, such as Python and R programming languages as well as Hadoop, to address real-world data science problems. Throughout the program, students work alone and in teams to create at least five projects that are showcased to employers. Along the way, students will have assistance in preparing for the job search through resume review, interview preparation, and opportunities to interview with our hiring partners. Successful completion of the curriculum will present a certification of graduation certified by the New York State Board of Education.
    Deposit$5,000
    $397.88 pm for 60 months
    Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loan. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
    Refund / GuaranteeNYC Data Science Academy’s refund policy adheres to both ACCET and NYS Education Department guidelines. Visit https://nycdatascience.com/refund-and-regulations/ for more details.
    ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Prep WorkPrerequisite online coursework includes a total of forty hours of work and over two hundred exercises. The Prework will prepare students to work with both R and Python as well as revisit basic concepts in linear algebra, calculus, and statistics. Mathema
  • 7-weeks In Person/ Remote Live Data Analytics Bootcamp

Data Analytics , R, Data Visualization, Data Science
    LocationOnline, New York City
    It is an accelerated training program in which students learn the major tools and methods for performing data analyses and apply them to various projects typically found in real-life business situations. Students learn to employ R and Python for data analytics projects and for presenting research results effectively. DABC502 Data Science Toolkit DABC506 Data Analytics with Python DABC511 Data Analytics with R DABC516 Business Cases in Data Science DABC519 Data Analytics Capstone Project
    Deposit$5,000

Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loans. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
  • Introductory Python

LocationOnline, New York City
    This is a class for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming. The course is aimed at those who want to learn “data wrangling” – manipulating downloaded files to make them amenable to analysis. We concentrate on language basics such as list and string manipulation, control structures, simple data analysis packages, and introduce modules for downloading data from the web.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis Introductory Python class is designed for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming.
    Prep WorkIn the class, we will use Python 3. If you are following this video to set up Python environment, please make sure you download the Python 3.X version starting from 1 min 23 s in the video. Link: https://vimeo.com/160172414
  • Online Data Analytics Bootcamp

[Online Data Analytics Bootcamp: Online Learning, 1-on-1 Mentor, 3 Months] Data analysis skills can be utilized in virtually every industry, making people in the workforce more valuable. Any opportunity to increase your value in your career can pay off big time. It's also an investment to help boost upward mobility in currently held positions. The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover Data Analytics with R, Data Analytics with Python, Business Cases in Data Science, and Data Analytics Capstone projects.

• Online Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover R, Python, Machine Learning Theory, Big Data, and Deep Learning. Access instructions at your convenience Plan your schedules to meet learning objectives Asynchronous interactions with instructors and staff One-on-one support by academic mentors Longer time to master curricular competencies Lifetime career support to help you find a job upon graduation Connection with Data Science professionals and NYCDSA alumni Online Data Science Bootcamp - Full-time: 16 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 30-40 hours/week Online Data Science Bootcamp - Part-time: 24 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 20-30 hours/week
    • Full Tuition Total $17,600
    • Climb Credit Loan $400* pm for 60 months
    • SkillsFund Student Loan $397.88 pm for 60 months

ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Minimum Skill LevelIdeal applicants should have a Masters or Ph.D. degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math or equivalent experience of quantitative science or programming.
    Prep Workhttp://blog.nycdatascience.com/faculty/data-science-bootcamp-pre-work/
  • Sebastian Nordgren • Senior Vice President, Citigroup Inc.

I attended the Big Data with Hadoop and Spark course, hosted and led by NYC Data Science Academy. My objective was two-fold: first, to gain a deeper and practical understanding on emerging 'Big Data' technologies, more so than what academic publications or industry white papers currently provide; and, second, to familiarize myself with the skill set and experience to expect from the new generation statisticians, or Data Scientists. With a background in Business Intelligence, Architecture, Risk Management and Governance on Wall Street, I find that foundational skills remain the same: mathematics and statistics. However, with the commoditizing of data storage and massively parallel computing, Data Scientist today are capable of solving problems reserved for an exclusive few in decades past. The course did not cover configuration of the Hadoop environment, but thanks to the engaging and knowledgeable instructor, clues on challenges and potential pitfalls were generously shared. I highly recommend this course not only to professionals or recent graduates looking to hone data analysis skills, but also to anyone with an interest or stake in Big Data.

• Jake • Analyst at Spotify • Graduate
    Three months ago I had no idea what I had signed up for. I wasn't even sure I had made the right choice--not just with NYCDSA, but data science in general. I didn't know how to code and all my statistics experience came from an academic setting. Three months later and I can hardly comprehend how I got to where I am now, but I know for certain I wouldn't have gotten here without NYCDSA.

On the first day it was clear that I was a bit of a minority. It seemed that everyone had more experience than I did--I had been a classroom teacher for 6 years, and an English teacher at that--but this wasn't a time for excuses. No matter what level you arrive at, you can't survive the program without being all-in, and that might be its greatest strength. I (and the rest of my cohort) kissed goodbye to our social lives and fought through three of the most challenging, stressful months of our lives. Suddenly I'm a proficient coder in two languages, I understand the statistical nuance behind complicated machine learning algorithms, and most importantly, I landed a job that is wildly better than what I imagined I could get. Seriously. I took the screening interview just for the practice. And then I got another interview. And then another. And then a job offer. And throughout, I knew the answer the virtually every question they threw at me. And for that, I have to thank NYCDSA.
  • David Comfort • Graduate

I had a great experience at the NYC Data Science Academy.

To give you a little background, I have a PhD in Biochemistry and did a Post-Doc in computational biology and bioinformatics and then worked in industry for a couple of years in both technical and non-technical roles. With the recent advent of data science, I made a decision to make a transition to data science and wanted to get up to speed in data science, Python and R, as well as machine learniing, in a rapid but focused manner. The NYC Data Science Academy provided the perfect oppotunity to do so.

The things that stand out about the Boot Camp were:

• Quality and enthusiasm of the instructors - Given the broad range of the participants, the instructors really knew how to challenge us.
    • The Teaching Assistants - The TAs were patient and provided great guidance and instruction.
    • Quality of the participants - It was a great experience to go through the boot camp with a really talented group of people.
    • Projects - The individual and team projects really gave me the opportunity to challlenge myself and stretch my abilities. It also provided with a nice portfolio which I can show potential employers.
    • Vivian and Janet - The heads of the Boot Camp really showed that they cared about the participants and challenged us to work hard and remain engaged.
    • Guest speakers - The quality of the guest speakers was really outstanding.

A word of caution about participating in the Boot Camp. Be prepared to work like crazy. I worked 12 to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for three months straight.

• A
    - 12/13/2015
    Nate Aiken • Graduate

I though the bootcamp was an amazing experience.  It's helped me build a stronger statistical and programming foundation to start a career in Data Science.  It taught me the most widely used statistical learning methods in both R and Python.  We also covered topics employers look for like SQL and Hadoop.  The bootcamp involved daily lecture  and homework and was punctuated by projects to apply what we were learning.  We then had the opportunity to present our work to our peers and at monthly Data Science Meetups. The brought in weekly data science speakers to give us a sense of what being a data scientist in the real world is like.  These speakers included Owen Zhang one of the top ranked Kagglers, and Kirk Borne the head of Data Science for Booz Allen Hamilton.  The last two weeks of the bootcamp involved resume review, interview prep, and final projects.  They also helped us find jobs by actually bring data science recruiters and HR people to the bootcamp.  This program will LEFT JOIN your current life with a career in Data Science.

• JF Darre

I attended the data-science bootcamp offered in NYC and had a great experience! I learned a lot on every aspects of data-science and machine learning:

• the theory
    • the tools
    • coding
    • and a lot of practice through homeworks, in-class labs and projects

It is very intensive, you will work ~12h+/day and on weekends, but you will leave the bootcamp with so much knowledge, coding experience, practice, 5 projects added to your linked-in/resume, 5 blog posts, a github account to be proud of  and even, if you want to, a participation in a Kaggle competition.

The team is amazing. Vivian will do everything she can to improve your experience and has a huuuuge network:

• This week, for example, she organized drinks with 20+ companies who came to meet with us (ranging from Guggenheim Investments, Two sigma, Goldman to Medivo, Draft Kings, About.com and many startups too).
    • Last week, she got Spotify to bring in 3 speakers who then individually interviewed 15 people the rest of the afternoon!

Janet, also will be in charge of continuously improving the program. That girl does not need to sleep. There were nights were I would leave at 11pm+ and she would still be there. A few weekends/sundays, I came to the bootcamp to work on projects with team-mates and she was there. She is incredible and really dedicated. She organises "Therapy sessions" every Friday to make sure we address and confront every problem we have encountered during the week which is really useful.

The instructors are friendly, professional and knowledgeable. Every class has slides and code. I saved everything. What a resource this is! I have all the theory and code right there on my computer, no more looking on google's 20th page of results to find something somewhat relevant, or reading un-understable wiki pages about all this machine learning. Here, the way we learn is:

1. theory briefely (no proofs) but complete.
    2. focus on the different parameters, what they do, how they affect the model etc...
    3. then code and actually show how to use all this
    4. then homework to let us try to replicate what we just learned
    5. then projects to make sure it sinks in!

rather than everything you will typically find on-line which is: theory and then more theory.

If this was not enough, on top of all the team and instructors, you'll have access to TAs too! They are very nice, smart and competent... and especially they are veeeeery... patient with us and our questions!

Additionally, you have projects that you have to present to the class. So you get valuable practice both in presenting and also in collaborating with peers that no amount of sitting behind your screen can bring! Everything is recorded and edited by a pro. All the classes and your presentations too!

Finally, they will regularly bring presenters to teach us about their projects, the real-world problems they face at work etc... Our class mentor (yes we also have a mentor/sponsor) is also amazing and very helpful.

And lastly, (I promise that's the last comment!) they will bring professionals in to help you optimze your resume, your linked-in etc... and prepare you for interviews etc...

Overall I am really happy with the program and glad they covered both Python AND R. I know some bootcamps do not teach R and the reality is that most companies use R and R is must. I am very grateful to everyone involved and working so hard to make this bootcamp a true success.

• Shin Chin • Data Scientist • Student

I am really enjoying taking the NYC Data Science Academy data science bootcamp remotely. I find their online classroom and materials very effective for learning the fundamentals of data science. The videos are very informative and the material well communicated and taught by the lecturer. The accompanying slides are clearly written and mostly self contained and you can learn a lot, just by reading them. The course is a nice blend of theory and practical programming experience using R and Python and other tools.

The learning process is aided by doing and submitting the homeworks for the lecture materials, as well as completing project assignments.
    I interact frequently with the TA assigned to me. We often have Google hangout sessions where he helps set up my environment on my laptop like Git, R and Python. We also review my project assignments through Google hangouts where he provides valuable feedback and suggestions. The TA is very helpful, competent and knowledgable.

I would definitely recommend the online version of this bootcamp.

• Dani • Graduate

I attended the 12-week bootcamp this past summer and had a great experience overall. I was able to build a solid portfolio of data science projects and got a lot of job search support. The curriculum assumes a basic level of statistics knowledge so for someone like me whose background didn't include any it could be frustrating at times. However, they are serious about student feedback so I believe the course will only continue to get better. You can expect to put in a lot of work but as always what you get out depends on what you put in. Ultimately I landed a job I'm very excited about, and I had a positive experience with the course, instructors, and fellow students so I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in a career in data science.

• Jason • Research Scientist • Graduate

Now I am going to start my new career as a data scientist.  I would like to share my 2 cents for this bootcamp and hope it would be helpful for the coming students.  Also I hope through those suggestions, you can have an idea about the bootcamp.

1.  Be open - This is a boocamp, not a usual school class or an online course.  So share your experience and expertise with others.  You will learn much more from each other.

2.  Be in a hurry - This is a short bootcamp, whereas it covers a LOT of content.  So be ready to work hard.  You need to have a sense of urgent that you are going to jump into interviews after 3 months.  Without your own hard working, it is hard to achieve the success after the bootcamp

3. Be brave - This is a hard bootcamp.  Some students slept less than 6 hrs per day for three months.  Does it sounds scare?  However I would like to say that be brave, after learning with others, you will see your shining point and know how to show your merits to others.  So be brave to take challenges and be brave to share with others.

4. Be collaborative - I hope after the bootcamp, you are not only getting a good job(s) but also getting a lot of friends.

Enjoy the bootcamp,

• Pokman • Graduate

I attended the Data Science Bootcamp in summer 2015. It was a very enriching, useful and enjoyable experience. It offered plenty of important things that one couldn't hope to find by taking online courses or reading textbooks. The instructors possessed valuable knowledge and perspectives in the data science industry, and were able to share them with the students through various activities (e.g. lectures, invited talks, meetups, company visits, individual counseling, etc.). Also, students had a lot of opportunities to interact with established data scientists, as well as collaborate with fellow aspiring data scientists on real-world projects.

• Punam • Graduate

Data Science Bootcamp was the best experience in my career. Instructers were not only helpful in teaching the regular materials but also guide you to establish your confidence in yourself to be a Data Scientist. They will help you even after completing your bootcamp. Nice and honest enviroment.

• Sam

I took both Data Analysisand Machine Learning with Python with Vivian.

I highly recommend these classes to anyone who wants to take their analytics skills beyond Excel, pivot tables, and averages and into more advanced predictive modeling methods. Luckily, a lot of the work has already been done for us by the developers who created pandas, matplotlib, statsmodels, and scikit-learn. I didn't know anything about these tools prior to taking this class. Vivian makes machine learning easy. At work I can now stand on the shoulders of Python's giants. Pretty cool. Extremely useful.

• Machine Learning
    - 6/30/2015
    Liz • Graduate

I took the Data Science with Python: Machine Learning course and I learned a lot. This course helped me to improve my data analysis and general Python skills. It introduced me to several new libraries and algorithms, most of which I plan to use at work.

Overall, I had a very positive experience.