nyc-data-science-academy-logo

NYC Data Science Academy

New York City, Online

NYC Data Science Academy

NYC Data Science Academy offers 12-week, accredited data science and data analytics bootcamps in New York City and live online. NYC Data Science Academy is a nationally accredited Data Science Bootcamp in the U.S that teaches both Python and R. In the program, students will learn beginner and intermediate levels of Data Science with Hadoop, Spark, Github, Docker, SQL, R, and Python packages like XgBoost, Caret, Dplyr, Ggplot2, Pandas, Scikit-learn, and more. The program distinguishes itself by balancing intensive lectures with real-world project work and the breadth of its curriculum. The academy is well known for its industry project-oriented learning experience and well-immersed community established since 2013.

Students will work on at least four individual or team projects showcased to employers through private hiring partner events, student blogs, meetups, and film presentations. The academy also offers strong lifetime career support such as tech interview prep, mock interviews, unlimited mentorships, and 1-on-1 post-interview reviews and feedback from career mentors to help students ace their interviews.

Recent NYC Data Science Academy Reviews: Rating 4.85

all (355) reviews for NYC Data Science Academy →

Recent NYC Data Science Academy News

Read all (29) articles about NYC Data Science Academy →
  • 12-Weeks In-Person/ Remote Live Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

LocationNew York City
    In this program students will learn the modern data analytic techniques and master the requisite skills, such as Python and R programming languages as well as Hadoop, to address real-world data science problems. Throughout the program, students work alone and in teams to create at least five projects that are showcased to employers. Along the way, students will have assistance in preparing for the job search through resume review, interview preparation, and opportunities to interview with our hiring partners. Successful completion of the curriculum will present a certification of graduation certified by the New York State Board of Education.
    Deposit$5,000
    $397.88 pm for 60 months
    Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loan. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
    Refund / GuaranteeNYC Data Science Academy’s refund policy adheres to both ACCET and NYS Education Department guidelines. Visit https://nycdatascience.com/refund-and-regulations/ for more details.
    ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Prep WorkPrerequisite online coursework includes a total of forty hours of work and over two hundred exercises. The Prework will prepare students to work with both R and Python as well as revisit basic concepts in linear algebra, calculus, and statistics. Mathema
  • 7-weeks In Person/ Remote Live Data Analytics Bootcamp

Data Analytics , R, Data Visualization, Data Science
    LocationOnline, New York City
    It is an accelerated training program in which students learn the major tools and methods for performing data analyses and apply them to various projects typically found in real-life business situations. Students learn to employ R and Python for data analytics projects and for presenting research results effectively. DABC502 Data Science Toolkit DABC506 Data Analytics with Python DABC511 Data Analytics with R DABC516 Business Cases in Data Science DABC519 Data Analytics Capstone Project
    Deposit$5,000

Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loans. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
  • Introductory Python

LocationOnline, New York City
    This is a class for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming. The course is aimed at those who want to learn “data wrangling” – manipulating downloaded files to make them amenable to analysis. We concentrate on language basics such as list and string manipulation, control structures, simple data analysis packages, and introduce modules for downloading data from the web.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis Introductory Python class is designed for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming.
    Prep WorkIn the class, we will use Python 3. If you are following this video to set up Python environment, please make sure you download the Python 3.X version starting from 1 min 23 s in the video. Link: https://vimeo.com/160172414
  • Online Data Analytics Bootcamp

[Online Data Analytics Bootcamp: Online Learning, 1-on-1 Mentor, 3 Months] Data analysis skills can be utilized in virtually every industry, making people in the workforce more valuable. Any opportunity to increase your value in your career can pay off big time. It's also an investment to help boost upward mobility in currently held positions. The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover Data Analytics with R, Data Analytics with Python, Business Cases in Data Science, and Data Analytics Capstone projects.

• Online Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover R, Python, Machine Learning Theory, Big Data, and Deep Learning. Access instructions at your convenience Plan your schedules to meet learning objectives Asynchronous interactions with instructors and staff One-on-one support by academic mentors Longer time to master curricular competencies Lifetime career support to help you find a job upon graduation Connection with Data Science professionals and NYCDSA alumni Online Data Science Bootcamp - Full-time: 16 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 30-40 hours/week Online Data Science Bootcamp - Part-time: 24 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 20-30 hours/week
    • Full Tuition Total $17,600
    • Climb Credit Loan $400* pm for 60 months
    • SkillsFund Student Loan $397.88 pm for 60 months

ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Minimum Skill LevelIdeal applicants should have a Masters or Ph.D. degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math or equivalent experience of quantitative science or programming.
    Prep Workhttp://blog.nycdatascience.com/faculty/data-science-bootcamp-pre-work/
  • Adam Cone • Graduate

I finished the bootcamp yesterday. I have a BA with honors in Math, an MA in Applied Math, and an MS in Civil Engineering. I have 8 years of work experience in both the private and public sectors. I committed to this program to help me transition to becoming a data scientist. I had minimal professional programming or statistics experience when I applied.

• I bought a new computer and studied statistics, R, and Python for over a month before my first day in the bootcamp.
    • I worked more intensely and consistently at the bootcamp than I've worked on anything over a 3-month period, either in school or in a job.
    • The staff are maybe the bootcamp's finest feature. The instructors are technically proficient, patient, and articulate. Somehow, I didn't feel intimidated, more inspired. In three months, every time I requested support, I was supported.
    • The office has a simple aesthetic and is well-equipped and well-maintained. It is often crowded, but overall a space where I felt focused and could work.
    • I gave the curriculum 4/5 stars. I found the material fascinating. There were many times when I simply didn't keep up. There is a lot of material. Read that sentence again. The curriculum moves so quickly that it often felt like a day-tour of Europe.
    • I found my classmates highly-educated, focused, and committed. I forged some excellent working and social relationships.

Overall, I recommend this bootcamp under the following conditions:

1. You will commit yourself to this program for 3 months. For these 3 months, this is what you will do during the day and in the evening, weekdays and weekends.
    2. With whatever time you have before the bootcamp, you will study statistics, R, and Python.
    3. You accept early on that sometimes it will be acutely stressful and overwhelming.

Having completed the bootcamp, I see the value in Vivian's approach: by working at capacity among such skilled staff and focused students, my skills and knowledge developed quickly. Overall, this bootcamp worked well for me and I'm glad I did it.

• Wendy

This is an awesome program you will not regret attending!

I was in the Jan-April 2016 cohort. The course covers everything you need to know to apply for data scientist jobs. We started from the fundamental of stats in R, and moved into machine learning in both R and Python. In the last two weeks we also got a fair exposure to big data tools like Hadoop and Spark. The instructors we have are AMAZING!!! They are super knowledgeable and also very passionate about data science. TAs are the most hard working group of people I know! They really try their best to help you. Students at the bootcamp are impressive as well. Most of them either have a phd degree or have significant/successful work experiences prior to joining the bootcamp. We did five projects during the bootcamp which you can totally show off during your job interviewsss! And you will have a least a few job interviews guaranteed during/after the bootcamp. They really tried their hardest to help you preparing and securing job interviews. I personally had at least 5 interviews while I was still in the bootcamp, and was hired only two weeks after the bootcamp ended.

The program wasn’t easy, you will have a ton of homework and projects to do, but they are always there to support and help you. I would recommend this 12 weeks bootcamp to anyone who wants to be a data scientist or simply interested in data science.

• David Steinmetz

This course is ideal if you already have programming experience. I had experience with Matlab and R, so this provided the answer to the "how do I do that in Python" question. If you have never programmed before, go through Learn Python the Hard Way very thoroughly before enrolling. You will get the most out of this course if you have already learned basic programming concepts and can therefore focus on the intent of the course: data analysis and visualization.

The class teaches very practical aspects of Python and data manipulation and visualization. Often we know what question we want to ask and maybe even already have the data, but need to get it into a form to analyze and present visually. This course was good at preparing you for that. Little time was spent on cleaning data, most was spent on learning Python and manipulating data and how to visualize it.

The instructor, Liz, was easygoing and personable, which made it very easy to ask questions. She was also knowledgeable about the topic and could give insights into what it was like to actually use these tools on a daily basis. I enjoyed having her as an instructor.

I'm only giving it four stars, which to me means very good, because five stars to me means truly exceptional. In order for this course to be truly exceptional, it would need to ensure all students were up to a certain standard in Python, allowing the class to go into the data analysis and visualization much faster. Given that the students in the class had extremely different backgrounds and levels of programming experience, I was very impressed.

In conclusion, if you are using other tools like Excel and have some programming experience, I recommend this course as a good way to move your work into Python to take advantage of its speed, flexibility and packages. I was able to create visualizations of crime and weather data I got from the NYC Open Data site in only a couple hours after taking this course. Well worth it!

I took both the intro to data analytics and the machine learning course, both using R. Both the instructors Luke and Shu went out of there to answer emails and help me get a better understanding of the field. I'm new to data science and computer science and after the course, I felt very comfortable using R and discussing machine learning and data science with other individuals.

Well, i could have learned much more things by finding a good book and reading it or taking online course which would've been much more chaper as well. First of all if you re beginner at python , this course deffinetly is not for you . You get very brief information in the lectures and you have to figure out  rest by yourself. I took this course just because i didnt have time to learn by myself and i thought they will actually teach me , not pushing me figure out by myself but obviously i was wrong, so disapointed.

It was very bad idea to pay more than $1500 and take this course.It doesnt worth at all !

• Christopher Redino • Graduate

I chose NYCDSA over similiar bootcamps because they seemed to have largest breadth of content and also seemed to be the most challenging, and I believe they delievered in both those aspects. You will learn a lot, and you will be challenged, even if you come into the bootcamp with some experience in data science.

The lectures themselves are very enganging, and the intstructors are very knowledgable. The course content (slides, lecture code, homework, etc) are not only excellent for learning the matieral, but I think they will also be valuable references going forward.

I feel the bootcamp has prepared me well for my job search. I had several interviews set up before the bootcamp had ended, and my first offer a few weeks after that. I'm confident that if I want to interview with more companies that NYCDSA can help to make this happen.  Employers are interested in the projects I've done with the bootcamp, so I can get their attention, and the course material has trained me in the areas they are likely to test me on during interviews.

• Life-Changing
    - 4/3/2016
    Sricharan Maddineni • Fellow • Graduate

My time at the Nyc Data Science Academy was some of the best three months I've ever spent. This is an intense bootcamp but it the instructors are absolutely amazing and push you to excel. Christopher (the main statistics and R instructor) is one of the best people I've ever met and you are guaranteed to be inspired by him. The TA's are some of the most hard-working people you will ever meet and are always available to help (most days until 11pm - not sure if they even go home!).

All my peers in the cohort were positively affected by their experience and you should attend without hesitation if you're accepted! Vivian, the academy founder, is personally vested in helping her students find jobs and she is extremely well connected and caring. We are fortunate to be on the cusp of this new and exciting field and have the opportunity to attend such a bootcamp.

• Joseph Lee • Data Scientist • Graduate

The program offers a very good course for building foundational data science skills.  It is very evident how motivated the faculty and instructors are in helping their students achieve their initial career goals in data science. The curriculum covers topics and subject matter that is considered mandatory for any entry-mid level data scientist and the program does a good job preparing students for data science oriented interviews.  Data Science is a large field that cannot fully be appreciated in 12 weeks.  In spite of this the NYCDSA does a great job designing both the breadth and depth of their curriculum, which they are always improving and expanding.
    Overall, I had a very successful experience and had multiple interviews both during and after the program, which eventually led me to my present dream data scientist job.

Overall Pros
    - Talented and very bright staff and instructors.
    - Very good network with NYC companies
    - Growing company
    - Available staff at all (or most) times
    - NYC Location
    - Homework is reasonable, challenging, and yet fun
    - Curriculum covers many basics that are important for data science interviews.

Overall Cons
    - Growing pains, which should be expected for any growing startup in a hectic and driven environment such as NYC.
    - Hiring network is fairly limited to the east coast (from when I attended), however last time I checked they are making successful efforts in branching out to other regions.

My Advice:
    The program is a goldmine of learning potential for any student who is willing to put in the hours both inside and outside of the classroom.  In order to yield the most benefits from the program, students should be flexible and nimble.  Data science is a constantly growing and changing field, thus the curriculum must also constantly change.  Furthermore, students should constantly engage with the instructors and TA's.  The curriculum goes at a face pace and it is their (the faculty) mission to ensure that all students maximize their learning.  From my personal experience, 30% of what I learned came from the lectures while the other 70% of what I learned came through working on projects and problems after class with my peers and TA's.

Conclusion:
    I would highly recommend this program to any person who are willing to work hard and put in the hours to learn and reinforce the material.

• Korrigan • Graduate

I attended the inaugural bootcamp in from Jan 2015 to May 2015 and loved it.  I came into the program with a programming (java, matlab) and math background and some data analysis experience and was quickly met with tons of new material and challeneges.  I loved the fast pace, yet detailed lectures.  They provide a thorough introduction to R and Python followed by lectures on machine learning, statistics, and other data science technologies.  The best part of bootcamp is working on projects of your own design under the guidance and expertise of the lecturers. Everything I learned and created directly helped me get a great internship and later a great job.  I would recommend this botcamp to anyone looking to fully immerse themselves in the field of data science in order to better themselves or land a interesting job

• Fangzhou • Data Scientist • Graduate

I attened 2015 Summer Data Science Boot Camp with NYC Data Science Academy. It was a positive experience and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have data science background and wants to step in this area. Especially if you are in the middle of job searching, and have great motivation and determination to learn. The advantage of being in a full-time boot camp is that the immersive learning makes time go faster without you realizing it. You can easily spent a whole day focusing on one data problem without any distraction. Just note that this bootcamp is for people who wants to learn basics and fundamentals, not for who wants to be a machine learning expert!

• John • Data Scientist at The Ladders • Graduate

Before I enrolled in the Data Science Academy's 12-week data science program, I had spent nearly a year exploring data science with almost nothing to show for it. Coursera, books, Kaggle, you name it. A bit discouraged and overwhelmed, I began the data science program with high hopes for strong teachers, a great community, and a rigorous crash course on all things data science.

I got all that and more. Proof: I recently began a new job, and was able to hit the ground running on literally every front the company threw at me. Statistics and algorithms? Check. R programming? NYCDSA took us through almost all the packages my new company uses regularly. Python? Same deal as R. Infrastructure, AWS, distributed computing, visualizations, SQL? All check. And the NYCDSA enabled all of this - brilliant, helpful professors, well-designed homeworks / lectures, and great connections to the real data science world.

Make no mistake - you'll be working unbelievably hard. Dozens of homeworks, ~5 projects, tons of slides and material to learn. But that's what you want, right? If you're serious about boosting your career, NYCDSA is the perfect place for you.

I took the Machine Learning with Python class to get a fast and quick intro on how to code machine learning algorithms in python.
    Our instructor, Shu, was very good and accommodated fully the needs of the class. He knows both the theory and the coding parts.
    I think the course strikes a good balance between over-viewing techniques  and offering hands on specific knowledge so that you
    can go away and code on your own after the class is done.
    I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to get started as quickly as possible with Machine Learning in Python.