nyc-data-science-academy-logo

NYC Data Science Academy

New York City, Online

NYC Data Science Academy

NYC Data Science Academy offers 12-week, accredited data science and data analytics bootcamps in New York City and live online. NYC Data Science Academy is a nationally accredited Data Science Bootcamp in the U.S that teaches both Python and R. In the program, students will learn beginner and intermediate levels of Data Science with Hadoop, Spark, Github, Docker, SQL, R, and Python packages like XgBoost, Caret, Dplyr, Ggplot2, Pandas, Scikit-learn, and more. The program distinguishes itself by balancing intensive lectures with real-world project work and the breadth of its curriculum. The academy is well known for its industry project-oriented learning experience and well-immersed community established since 2013.

Students will work on at least four individual or team projects showcased to employers through private hiring partner events, student blogs, meetups, and film presentations. The academy also offers strong lifetime career support such as tech interview prep, mock interviews, unlimited mentorships, and 1-on-1 post-interview reviews and feedback from career mentors to help students ace their interviews.

Recent NYC Data Science Academy Reviews: Rating 4.85

all (347) reviews for NYC Data Science Academy →

Recent NYC Data Science Academy News

Read all (29) articles about NYC Data Science Academy →
  • 12-Weeks In-Person/ Remote Live Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

LocationNew York City
    In this program students will learn the modern data analytic techniques and master the requisite skills, such as Python and R programming languages as well as Hadoop, to address real-world data science problems. Throughout the program, students work alone and in teams to create at least five projects that are showcased to employers. Along the way, students will have assistance in preparing for the job search through resume review, interview preparation, and opportunities to interview with our hiring partners. Successful completion of the curriculum will present a certification of graduation certified by the New York State Board of Education.
    Deposit$5,000
    $397.88 pm for 60 months
    Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loan. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
    Refund / GuaranteeNYC Data Science Academy’s refund policy adheres to both ACCET and NYS Education Department guidelines. Visit https://nycdatascience.com/refund-and-regulations/ for more details.
    ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Prep WorkPrerequisite online coursework includes a total of forty hours of work and over two hundred exercises. The Prework will prepare students to work with both R and Python as well as revisit basic concepts in linear algebra, calculus, and statistics. Mathema
  • 7-weeks In Person/ Remote Live Data Analytics Bootcamp

Data Analytics , R, Data Visualization, Data Science
    LocationOnline, New York City
    It is an accelerated training program in which students learn the major tools and methods for performing data analyses and apply them to various projects typically found in real-life business situations. Students learn to employ R and Python for data analytics projects and for presenting research results effectively. DABC502 Data Science Toolkit DABC506 Data Analytics with Python DABC511 Data Analytics with R DABC516 Business Cases in Data Science DABC519 Data Analytics Capstone Project
    Deposit$5,000

Tuition PlansWe have full-financing available through SkillsFund and ClimbCredit financial loans. It is approximately 400/per month for 60 months.
  • Introductory Python

LocationOnline, New York City
    This is a class for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming. The course is aimed at those who want to learn “data wrangling” – manipulating downloaded files to make them amenable to analysis. We concentrate on language basics such as list and string manipulation, control structures, simple data analysis packages, and introduce modules for downloading data from the web.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis Introductory Python class is designed for computer-literate people with no programming background who wish to learn basic Python programming.
    Prep WorkIn the class, we will use Python 3. If you are following this video to set up Python environment, please make sure you download the Python 3.X version starting from 1 min 23 s in the video. Link: https://vimeo.com/160172414
  • Online Data Analytics Bootcamp

[Online Data Analytics Bootcamp: Online Learning, 1-on-1 Mentor, 3 Months] Data analysis skills can be utilized in virtually every industry, making people in the workforce more valuable. Any opportunity to increase your value in your career can pay off big time. It's also an investment to help boost upward mobility in currently held positions. The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover Data Analytics with R, Data Analytics with Python, Business Cases in Data Science, and Data Analytics Capstone projects.

• Online Data Science with Machine Learning Bootcamp

The Online Data Science Bootcamp program is designed for students who would like to take the courses online. Our curriculum covers the expanse of all the skills required in the data science industry. We cover R, Python, Machine Learning Theory, Big Data, and Deep Learning. Access instructions at your convenience Plan your schedules to meet learning objectives Asynchronous interactions with instructors and staff One-on-one support by academic mentors Longer time to master curricular competencies Lifetime career support to help you find a job upon graduation Connection with Data Science professionals and NYCDSA alumni Online Data Science Bootcamp - Full-time: 16 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 30-40 hours/week Online Data Science Bootcamp - Part-time: 24 Weeks (Full-time), Commit 20-30 hours/week
    • Full Tuition Total $17,600
    • Climb Credit Loan $400* pm for 60 months
    • SkillsFund Student Loan $397.88 pm for 60 months

ScholarshipLimited number of scholarships available to qualified candidates.
    Minimum Skill LevelIdeal applicants should have a Masters or Ph.D. degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math or equivalent experience of quantitative science or programming.
    Prep Workhttp://blog.nycdatascience.com/faculty/data-science-bootcamp-pre-work/
  • Bailey Russo  User Photo
    Bailey Russo • Data Scientist/Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated college with bachelor’s degrees in Computer Science and Statistics in December of 2019 and had difficulty finding a job after graduation.  I decided to attend the NYCDSA with hopes of filling in some of the knowledge gaps I had in Data Science/Machine Learning and to find a platform that could provide me career support.  I attended the 6-month part-time online bootcamp in February of 2021.

I chose the NYCDSA after reading some of the projects that past students of the bootcamp completed and being very impressed with their work.  After going through the course syllabus, I also found I would be learning a lot of new concepts and technologies I didn’t get a chance to learn as an undergrad.

The bootcamp curriculum/coursework is very intensive.  A lot of material is covered in a relatively short amount of time, but the NYCDSA provides many resources to help you along the way.  There are video lectures, slides, and coding examples for all of the concepts covered and a plethora of people who are always willing to answer questions and provide help.  I completed four projects at the bootcamp where I got to utilize and apply hands-on many of the technologies and concepts covered in lectures.  For many of the projects, you are given the opportunity to pick a problem that you are passionate about solving and thus, the process of completing these projects is actually very fun and rewarding.  The problem I chose to solve for my capstone project ended up being very similar to the types of problems encountered by the company I would later end up joining after completion of the bootcamp.

Upon graduating the bootcamp, I received a full-time offer from a company for a Data Engineering position and a 6-month internship offer from another company for a Machine Learning Engineer position.  I decided to pursue the 6-month internship opportunity due to location reasons and personal interests.  At the end of the 6-month internship, I was fortunate enough to receive multiple offers, but ultimately ended up taking a Data Scientist/Engineering position that offered me everything I was looking for in terms of the type of problems I would be working on, salary, and work flexibility.

Attending this bootcamp was one of the best decisions I’ve made and I’m so grateful for everyone at the NYCDSA for helping me along the way.
  • Nick Devin  User Photo
    Nick Devin • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came into the bootcamp with zero coding experience but a strong background in mathematics--I had been enrolled in a PhD program, but put it on hold for the bootcamp. I was looking to make a career change from the rather bleak academic job market, and NYCDSA definitely helped me achieve this. The instructors are great at explaining things and are clearly experts in the field. They offered great personalized advice, which for me amounted to building up my business intelligence skills, as I already had a pretty solid background in theory. This advice definitely served me well in the job interview process.

The program was very demanding, and with the IDL format especially, you have to be comfortable pacing yourself and staying on top of things independently. I found the projects very fun and particularly valuable additions to my portfolio--companies I've interviewed with have been impressed by the caliber of the projects, so I would recommend really directing your energy towards going above and beyond on these.

The job application process was particularly tough for me due to certain health issues I was facing, as well as having a part-time job as a math tutor following graduation from NYCDSA, but career services was extremely helpful. Vivian met with me one-on-one many times to help me with interview prep and I was eventually able to land a great career in an analytics consulting firm.
  • Matthew Fay  User Photo
    Matthew Fay • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from NYCDSA's in-person data science + machine learning bootcamp, and also worked there as a TA for a few months while I applied for full-time jobs. For a little about me, I had withdrawn from a graduate program in pharmaceutical research and medicine, did a post-bac in comp sci, and then attended the NYCDSA data science + ML program.

The curriculum moves quickly, covering everything from a short review of programming fundamentals to data manipulation and statistics libraries to a variety of machine learning algorithms. It is a lot to get through in a few months, and both in my class and the classes I helped teach, some people with less coding/math foundation might be a bit out of their depth when it comes to the more advanced ML topics. They know it's a ton to learn in that timeframe and provide really helpful post-graduation study plans, mock interviews, and coding challenges. Beyond the curriculum, I would highly recommend attending in person if you live in the NYC area or can spare the money to move there for the duration. It was great for my learning to be surrounded by intelligent and driven people who shared the same goals as me. Most (not quite all) of the instructors clearly had deep understanding of the material and were happy to answer questions in great detail outside of class hours or even after I graduated. The projects are major focus of the program and were a great opportunity to build a high-quality portfolio to show employers. Overall, the educational experience prepared me well both for the interview process and for my current job.

After graduation, the career support is excellent. I had 1:1 meetings with Vivian after graduation to fine-tune my resume, improve my application and interview strategy, get advice on salary negotiation, and more. They will tell you that the work doesn't end when you graduate and it's definitely true. The program moves really fast and even with statistics and comp sci background there were gaps in my knowledge that I filled while studying for interviews after graduating. After a few months post-graduation of spamming leetcode, improving my application materials, and studying engineering and ML topics, I landed a data scientist position at a relatively prominent NYC-based tech company.
  • Tyrone  User Photo
    Tyrone • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Having successfully completed the bootcamp and joined an awesome company as a data scientist, whose role includes machine learning engineering and software development, I solidly recommend NYCDSA.

The time had come for me to leave IT for the land of data science and ML. Although I received a bachelors in CS, my utilization of that degree had been delayed up to that point. I chose NYCDSA for a couple of reasons: it was the top rated data science bootcamp, and after visiting their campus, sitting in one of the classes, and speaking with instructors, TAs, and students, the hype seemed real. Instead of jumping right in I deferred my admission several times. Initially for further self-study, then due to the in person class being moved online because of COVID and me being a poor remote learner. When it became clear that the move online would not be reversed anytime soon, I decided to enroll.

Although the material was highly concentrated, the first month went well. I was learning. Excelling, even. Then things went south. The effects of late disseminated Lyme disease halted my progression. What I most appreciate about the academy is its response to my sickness. Allowing me to step away for treatment and return at a slower, self-paced speed was greatly appreciated. I do not see how I could have graduated otherwise.

Neither is the cost of the bootcamp, nor is the workload, trivial by any means, so I think you should be certain that you want to make this move. Whether it’s learning skills, advancing or changing careers, or something else entirely, the reason for enrolling should be clear. You should want it. If the “why” is supplied on your end, you can count on the academy to supply the instruction, instructors, mentorship, and various other forms of support to aid you in your journey.
  • Weixing Yang  User Photo
    Weixing Yang • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After completing my bachelor's degree, I noticed a gap between academic and professional, this was why I decided to enroll in the 12 weeks program at NYC Data Science Academy. The lecture materials cover data analytic to machine learning, as well as four different industry-related projects. The amount of knowledge I received in such a short time period was overwhelming. If I had a chance to get back to the program, I would spend more time going over the notes from class, trying to finish all of the homework, and asking questions to TA when they go over the homework.
    Post-graduation, Vivian, and Courtney from the hiring team will continue to assist you in terms of job hunting. They will go over your resume, cover letter and host weekly alumni meetings. Make sure to attend those meetings, it is a good opportunity to meet other people and the hiring managers from different companies, as well as share interview tips with each other. Those help me a lot throughout my job hunting.
  • Sweta Prabha  User Photo
    Sweta Prabha • Data Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    NYC Data Science Academy is absolutely worth the investment. I wanted to switch my career to Data Science/Data Engineering and took the leap of faith. I started the 12 week Bootcamp on Sep 2021 and I was very satisfied with the course structure, projects, and learning experience. In my experience, we do not need a degree to be Data Scientist and NYC DSA prepares you for the first step towards your Data Science career.
  • Data Scientist
    - 12/16/2021
    Darish Sakeesing  User Photo
    Darish Sakeesing • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    My experience at the NYCDSA was really amazing although it was fully remote at the time (Jan - Apr 2021). When I joined, I already had strong skills in programming but my data science skills were close to none. The teachers at the academy were very patient with all of us and taught us everything from basic programming in R and Python, basic data analysis, statistics before moving on to machine learning models.
    I decided to go with the academy because of its AMAZING alumni network. Before signing up, I reached out to alumni working in the industry and a really large number of them got back to me and even had long calls with me to give me the pros and cons of joining. This was reassuring as it shows the networking culture instilled in students at the academy.

After graduating, the academy has also been really useful at helping students land job and the academy introduced me to my current employer.

Finally the NYCDSA really sets itself in a different class of bootcamps because of how helpful the instructors and admins are at ensuring the student's success.
  • Graduate
    - 8/17/2021
    Brian Perez   User Photo
    Brian Perez • Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from the 12-week remote-live bootcamp in December 2020 and have since transitioned into a data scientist position. Based on my personal experience, I would say that the education/training provided by the bootcamp and the career support provided afterwards are excellent and well worth the investment if someone is truly serious about making a career transition into the data science.

Prior to enrolling into the bootcamp, I worked in academic research & clinical trials doing primarily lab work with a degree in molecular biology. No longer wishing to continue with benchwork, I thought data science would be a good transition given my scientific background and familiarity with programming in R. In looking for data science programs, I eventually chose to enroll at NYCDSA because of the range of topics they cover and that the school teaches both R and Python. The enrollment staff were open to answering many of questions and concerns regarding enrollment and my career prospects after the bootcamp.

With respect to the actual bootcamp experience, I would say that my experience was challenging but necessary. Quite frankly, there is a lot of material that is covered within a relatively short period of time, so keeping pace with the work and the data science projects was difficult at times. Thankfully, the instructors and teaching assistants were supportive in helping students with their work and answering questions. The teaching staff are aware that the training is intense and allot specific days and times just to help students. The projects that you complete within the bootcamp also go a long way towards improving your portfolio and hardening the data science skills.

Post-graduation, there is also a lot of work that goes to preparing for interviews and additional materials not covered in the bootcamp like SQL. We would often have weekly meetings regarding job hunting in the data science market and how to prepare for technical interviews. The alumni staff would regularly inform us of job opportunities. I would say that if you are willing to make the intensive bootcamp your top priority then you will definitely reap the rewards.
  • Casey  User Photo
    Casey • Associate Data & Analytic Modeler • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from the 12-week remote live boot camp in April 2021. I can't speak highly enough of this program.

A bit about my background: BA&MA in social science (psychology), I had a lot of stats knowledge but very minimal programming experience. I had taken an introductory data science class and fell in love with the material. I chose NYCDSA over other boot camps because they teach both R and Python (this is a huge plus - I strongly believe both are necessary for most jobs). I had no industry experience and was a recent grad.

Prior to starting the program, all students are assigned about a month of pre-work. This includes some introductory calc, linear algebra, statistics, and basic R and Python in Jupyter - this is mostly to make sure everyone is on the same page for day 1. In the 12 week program, mornings were lecture-heavy. After lunch, we would have either occasional extra learning, homework/material reviews, and dedicated time to work on projects. I found the pace to be completely fair - we moved through the intro material a little slower, which is to be expected.

The curriculum is fantastic. There's an emphasis on the theoretical background behind ML algorithms, as opposed to just having the instructors provide use cases. The program covered R and Python, as well as SQL, some UNIX/console coding, Github, and (in my Big Data track) Hadoop and Spark. The projects students complete are really essential. They provide solid data science experience on your resume and really stand out. Having the practice to present to your cohort and write up your findings in a blog post really ensures that we know how to speak to our knowledge and explain it to those with a less technical background.

The instructors and TAs are incredible. They come from a variety of backgrounds (some CS, some math, some other!) and really provide unique approaches to teaching. The staff was always available for questions and happy to help with homework or project-related questions.

As far as the remote aspect: my program was the COVID online alternative to an in-person, 9-5 program. I was highly impressed with the quality of the online learning, and I genuinely feel that the remote program is just as good as any in-person offering. Through slack, we were able to form a community and really feel close to my other cohort members and instructors.

By far, I was most impressed with the career counseling services. NYCDSA helps with resume refreshing, cover letter writing, Linkedin profile personal branding, and professional email writing. But the support goes so much beyond this. I've received mock interview practice (both behavioral and coding), and the post-boot camp study plan really prepares you for any job interviews in data science-related fields. NYCDSA really cares about its students and wants to ensure their success. If you take advantage of all the resources available and how kind and caring the staff is, you are bound to succeed!

A final note on my success with NYCSDA.
    Before beginning the boot camp:
    • I spent 6-9 months looking for jobs. Not only did I fail to find a position, but I didn't get a single interview.
    After the boot camp:
    • I applied to 50-75 jobs in the 6 weeks after graduation. I got many rounds into the interview process and ended up receiving job offers from 4 positions!
    • Two months after I graduated, I started my current job as an analytic modeler for a professional services firm. I am making double my salary expectations prior to the boot camp, and I genuinely love what I do.

NYCDSA really changed my life. I cannot recommend this program enough. If you're considering getting into data science, this is your sign to apply today!
  • Worth It
    - 6/1/2021
    Steven Lantigua  User Photo
    Steven Lantigua • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from the 12-week remote live program in December 2020 and I highly recommend it. The program is intensive but well worth the challenge.

Prior to NYCDSA, I had just finished my undergrad and was looking to break into the data science field. At the time, I had a strong quantitative background and a decent foundation in programming but was missing tangible data science projects/experience. I found myself gravitating more towards this program than any other Bootcamp because the time frame worked perfectly for me, and after cross-referencing them and their alumni, they seemed legit.

My overall experience throughout the Bootcamp was positive. The instructors knew what they were talking about and taught it well. Additionally, the optional homework they provide helps reinforce what they teach. One thing I want to highlight is their willingness to stick with struggling students. There were several instances where I didn’t understand a particular machine learning topic and I was able to schedule time with an instructor to hash it out. It was these talks that cemented the conceptual part and ultimately made implementing these concepts much easier.

However, what most impressed me was their post-Bootcamp curriculum. They don’t just take their students’ money and leave, NYCDSA provides supplemental material that helps prepare newly graduated students for interviews. Additionally, Vivian scheduled weekly zoom meetings to advise us on our job hunt and keep us accountable. It was these accountability meetings where gems lie and what truly helped me with my search. Vivian went above and beyond to make my job search more efficient and successful, taking time out of her schedule to work 1 on 1 with me as a mentor. I’m truly grateful and highly recommend this program!

• Shameer Sukha  User Photo
    Shameer Sukha • xVA Management Group, CIBC • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    After 18 years of specialist experience, I was starting to develop a FOMO with Data Science. After some research and recommendation from a friend who completed this program I decided to enroll. No doubt, this will change my life. It was liberating and the 6-month investment was well worth the tuition fees. The instructors were experienced and curriculum was cutting edge and the program 'forced' me to keep pace with my learning and successfully complete it. It was hard, because I have a demanding job on an xVA trading desk at an investment bank but this was a necessary investment in the skills for the future. There is no limit to the applications of Data Science and I encourage more executive-level candidates with strong business experience and some STEM experience to challenge themselves. You will not regret this and I suspect that it will open up many doors for your future endeavours.
  • Sita Thomas  User Photo
    Sita Thomas • Data Analytics Manager • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I did the Interactive Distance Learning (IDL) program in 2020, so keep in mind that my experience was strongly influenced by the COVID-19 pandemic. I am a career switcher from the health services industry - this bootcamp got me into the tech industry 2.5 months after completion of the program and taught me fundamental coding and machine learning skills as well as advanced statistics skills. That said, for the IDL course, because it is relatively self-paced, you get out exactly what you put it. I am highly ambitious and set myself up for success really well. Not everyone does. The content, instruction, mentorship, and community engagement are excellent and only getting better - these people are absolutely well-versed in their fields, care extraordinarily deeply about the success of their students, and are constantly iterating. I gave the program 4 stars because I did feel like there was an institutional bias toward the Remote Live Instruction students - when I was there, those students got access to internships and other resources that IDL students did not even though we pay the same tuition. Perhaps it has changed, but if you want the best chance of being noticed, the Remote Live course is the better choice, while if you need flexibility and are okay with a little less support, IDL is still a fantastic choice. Their career and alumni services are also top-notch, but again, only if you take advantage of all the resources.