fullstack-academy-logo

Fullstack Academy

Chicago, New York City, Online

Fullstack Academy

Fullstack Academy offers full-time and part-time immersive software engineering bootcamps and cyber security bootcamps, with campuses in New York City, Chicago, and online. Fullstack's software engineering courses cover advanced JavaScript-oriented technologies and computer science topics including compiler theory, logic gates, and building an operating system. The cyber bootcamp covers encryption, networking, system architecture, cryptography, risk detection, and more. Fullstack Academy offers flexible options for college students and those who wish to continue working while learning modern tech skills. The Summer of Code program is an accelerated version of the immersive bootcamp for college students on summer break.

The full- and part-time immersives in NY and Chicago are for intermediate programmers who’ve learned the basics before applying, while the cyber and university bootcamps are specifically designed for beginners. Bootcamp Prep classes are available to help students prepare for admissions. To apply, candidates should submit an application via the website, take an online coding assessment (software engineering bootcamp) or a basic logical reasoning test (cyber bootcamp), then participate in a video interview.

Fullstack Academy programs aim to combine a cutting-edge technical curriculum with career counseling to make sure students can both do a technical job, and get a technical job. Fullstack hosts a Demo Day, which includes speed interviewing sessions, and the careers team helps students connect with the right people, interview successfully, and negotiate the best offer possible.

Recent Fullstack Academy Reviews: Rating 4.9

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, Front End
    October 9, 2019
    $250
    Online, Chicago, New York City
    **NOTE: Prep In a Month courses are best for folks who have some previous experience with programming.** Fullstack Academy's Bootcamp Prep courses are free with refund (which means you'll get back everything you've paid upon completion of the course) and will prepare you for the full-time software engineering programs at both Fullstack and Grace Hopper (our all-women's school), plus Fullstack's part-time Flex program. These courses teach the fundamentals of programming and show you how to use JavaScript to solve real-world coding problems. Best of all, they're taught by working developers who once graduated from one of Fullstack's programs, so you can really get a feel for the environment we foster and the kinds of smart, driven, generous people our community is made up of.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Full refund upon course completion.
    Advanced-Beginner
    Includes a 10-hr prep workshop. Not required, but highly recommended to help students get the most out of class.
    October 9, 2019 - ChicagoApply by October 3, 2019

In PersonFull Time1 Week
    October 5, 2019
    $250
    Online, New York City
    **NOTE: Prep In a Week courses are best for folks who have some previous experience with programming.** Fullstack Academy's Bootcamp Prep courses are free with refund (which means you'll get back everything you've paid upon completion of the course) and will prepare you for the full-time software engineering programs at both Fullstack and Grace Hopper (our all-women's school), plus Fullstack's part-time Flex program. These courses teach the fundamentals of programming and show you how to use JavaScript to solve real-world coding problems, and best of all? They're taught by working developers who once graduated from one of Fullstack's programs, so you can really get a feel for the environment we foster and the kinds of smart, driven, generous people our community is made up of.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Full refund upon course completion.
    Advanced-beginners
    October 5, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 30, 2019
    October 5, 2019 - New York CityApply by September 30, 2019
  • Flex (Part-Time) Immersive

October 15, 2019
    Chicago, New York City
    Flex offers an opportunity to complete the rigorous Fullstack immersive program, but over a six-month span, while keeping a full-time job. Students attend class in-person two nights per week, and remotely one night per week. Each month will have one immersive weekend, where Flex students come to campus both Saturday and Sunday. The other three weekends will consist of remote work -- not requiring live attendance. These remote weekends will utilize learning tools that work well in that format: video lectures and workshop reviews, solo coding workshops, and even pair-programming with classmates using virtual collaboration tools. This remote work will be self-paced -- completed by a deadline, but on the student’s schedule.
    Fullstack Academy partners with Skills Fund.
    $1,000 scholarship for women; $1,000 scholarship for veterans. $2,000 built-in scholarship for Chicago students.
    Advanced-beginner/Intermediate programming skills
    4-week Foundations Course
    October 15, 2019 - ChicagoApply by August 25, 2019
    January 14, 2020 - New York CityApply by November 17, 2019
  • Fullstack Cyber Bootcamp

September 30, 2019
    New York City
    The Fullstack Cyber Bootcamp is a full-time, 17-week training program that prepares students to get cyber security jobs as pen testers and SOC analysts after graduation. Operated by Fullstack Academy, one of the longest-running coding bootcamps in the nation, the Fullstack Cyber Bootcamp is part of New York City’s $100-million-dollar Cyber NYC initiative, which aims to transform the City of New York into a global cyber hub. In keeping with this mission, the City is sponsoring 24 low-income New Yorkers to attend the first cohort of the Fullstack Cyber Bootcamp tuition-free. Head to the web page for eligibility information.
    2,000
    Full scholarships to our inaugural cohort (including deposit refund upon program completion) available for qualifying NYers. Made possible by the City of New York's CyberNYC initiative. See website for eligibility information & additional scholarships.
    Beginner
    Take our introduction to the industry, Hacking 101, before you interview: https://cyber.fullstackacademy.com/prepare/hacking-101
    September 30, 2019 - New York CityApply by August 19, 2019
  • NYC Web Development Fellowship

Data Science, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js
    New York City
    In partnership with the NYC Tech Talent Pipeline, the NYC Web Development Fellowship will award ~40 NYC residents tuition-free admission to Fullstack's award-winning Software Engineering program. This curriculum has been proven successful -- Fullstack graduates are now working at companies like Google, Venmo, Facebook, Amazon, and LinkedIn, as well as hundreds of innovative small- and mid-size tech companies. Learn more about the fellowship as well as eligibility restrictions on the Fullstack website: https://www.fullstackacademy.com/nyc-fellowship
    Free Tuition for Eligible NYC Residents
  • Software Engineering Immersive

November 4, 2019
    Chicago, New York City
    Fullstack Academy’s flagship course, the Full-Time Software Engineering Immersive is a 17-week career accelerator. Through an advanced curriculum and project-based structure, students learn today’s cutting edge development technologies. The Fullstack Immersive prepares graduates for software engineer roles at top-tier technology companies. Our JavaScript-driven curriculum immerses you in the latest web technologies such as Node.js, React.js, and postgreSQL. You bring the energy, curiosity, and dedication — we'll provide a world-class school for becoming an expert software developer.
    Fullstack Academy has partnerships with Skills Fund and Upstart.
    Built-in $2,000 student scholarship; $1,000 scholarship for women; $1,000 scholarship for veterans.
    Advanced-beginner/Intermediate programming skills
    4-week remote Foundations Course precedes the 13 weeks on-campus
    November 4, 2019 - New York CityApply by September 15, 2019
    January 13, 2020 - New York CityApply by November 24, 2019
    November 4, 2019 - ChicagoApply by September 15, 2019
    January 13, 2020 - ChicagoApply by November 24, 2019
  • Summer of Code

Chicago, New York City
    Summer of Code is a coding education program uniquely designed for ambitious college students seeking to supplement their traditional education by learning real world skills and building a portfolio of impressive projects. You bring the energy, curiosity and fierce dedication — we'll provide a world-class school for becoming an expert level coder in one summer.
    Fullstack Academy has partnerships with Skills Fund and Upstart
    Built-in $2,000 student scholarship; $1,000 scholarship for women.
    College students only.
    4-week Foundations course

• $500 Fullstack Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Fullstack Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• Software Engineering Immersive (Chicago)

• Alex Tatarinov  User Photo
    Alex Tatarinov • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was part of the first WDF cohort. We spent almost 5 months on the NYC campus going first through the foundational materials and later through the main curriculum. Fullstack gave me a very solid understanding of software engineering principles, and most importantly, taught me how to be self sufficient.

The instructors and the stuff were excellent. I was never bored but was continuosly challenged. The level of students at FS is very high, yet everybody was always super supportive.

I accepted a job offer at arguably one of the toughest companies to get in after about 4 months after graduation.

If you are thinking about becoming a professional developer, I can't recommend Fullstack enough. With that being said, I want to empisize that your results will be directly proportionate to the effort you put in (during the program and especially during the job search).

• Wild 3 Months =)
    - 9/5/2018
    Jaime • Jr Software Engineer • Graduate

Before attending Fullstack Academy I was working as a chemical process engineer for a manufacturing company.  I enjoyed my job, but was definitely looking for a new challenge and wanted to find something that made me actually excited to go to work.  I had worked quite a bit in process controls programming and really, really enjoyed it.  In my last job I got a bit more exposure to writing VBA and working with contractors on database design and decided computer programming seemed like a great next career!

I began a programming certificate track at Northwestern and LOVED it, but decided it was too slow and didn’t go deep enough.  I then began considering going back for a second BS degree or a Masters, when I learned about bootcamps.  It seemed like the clear choice for me as a career changer who was really not interested in a few more years of school.  I applied to multiple programs in the area and decided that based on offered curriculum and general schedule and reputation, Fullstack was the right choice for me.

I AM SO GLAD I MADE THAT CHOICE.  I absolutely LOVED the instructors at Fullstack in Chicago, they had incredibly interesting real world experience and were able to explain things in a straightforward, easy to understand way.  I also really liked that they focused on helping you find the answer instead of just giving it to you, they seemed truly invested in your education and success.  I also really loved the cohort I was in, because the admissions process is a bit more selective than other programs, you get people who really want to learn and are willing to put in the work in the actual class.  Everyone was amazing and smart and helpful and it was a true team atmosphere.

The curriculum moves FAST and the coursework is very challenging, most of the time it felt like a tornado of information but at the end you somehow know what you are doing, it was crazy.

At the end of the program they host a “Launch Day” where they invite a few companies in to watch us present our capstone projects and have mini speed-dating like interviews with the students.  I ended up getting 2 job offers out of Launch Day and decided to join KnowledgeHound where I am currently working as a Full Stack Jr Software Engineer…using more python than javascript.  I feel like it was easy to pick up the new language and start contributing quickly.  My boss had planned on me working on a few smaller side projects for the first 3 months while I got up to speed, but I finished them all within the first 3 weeks and was able to join the main tech team on the major feature projects.  I’d say I was well prepared to get in and start adding value.  I do wish I had learned a bit more using the command line, but I actually think Fullstack added that to the curriculum the cohort after me.

The career assistance was kind of as expected I think?  I think if you are newer to the more professional job search it is incredibly helpful (many of my fellow classmates really, really thought the info was very useful), if you have gone through a few rounds of job searching it is not terribly groundbreaking…again, as expected.  Though there definitely is great insight into the tech hiring community, so I think there is added value for anyone.

• Graduate
    Kevin • Graduate

Amazing bootcamp. Having come from a computer science background I thought that it would be easy, that was not the case. The courses were well taught, so much so that the students without any computer science background were on par with myself. The people there were also so helpful and amazing. I highly recommend this bootcamp to anyone who is interested in a bootcamp, it is clearly a cut above the rest.

• Mr
    Johnny Cheng • Graduate

Some of the best 13 weeks ever spent. The instructors are fun, informative, and helpful, and I definitely learned a lot in my time here. I also had a good time and feel it was a time well spent.

• Best career move
    Nirali • Software Development Manager / Product Manager • Graduate

After working in human resources for over five years, I realized I wasn’t finding my work fulfilling. I switched roles, switched companies, but I just wasn’t a fan of being on the sidelines as a support function. I’ve been casually coding as a hobby for a while and my family encouraged me to research how to make the switch from HR to software development. I knew I didn’t want to be out of the workforce for too long so the bootcamp route was perfect for me. I did lots of research in figuring out which Chicago-based bootcamp was for me and from what I saw, Fullstack was a step above the rest. Most bootcamps are three months long, but the admissions process and level of difficulty for Fullstack was much more advanced than the other bootcamps I looked into. To me this meant that by the time I graduated, I would be in a much better position to land the right role. I went through Bootcamp Prep and spent most nights and weekends learning how to code to really make sure this was the right move for me.

The immersive is broken into two phases - junior phase and senior phase. In junior phase, we learned the fullstack (Postgres, Express, Node, React, Redux) in just six weeks. The program is structured with very few lectures and more hands-on pair-programming, which is great. Everyday we built something new, learned different ways to debug, and overall learned how to think about the challenges of our work. As someone who doesn’t come from a technical background, junior phase was really challenging. I learned quickly to get comfortable with the feeling of being confused and overwhelmed. Thankfully the students in senior phase would reassure me to trust the process and keep at it. The curriculum is set up so students have enough touch points to the important concepts to ensure they stick, there’s checkpoints to make sure we’re keeping up with everything we’ve learned, and the Teaching Fellows do a great job of breaking down difficult concepts and guiding students when we got stuck. Senior phase was my favorite. We started every morning with white board questions that helped prep us for job interviews. During the six weeks of senior phase, I built four projects (an e-commerce site, a news analysis web tool, a texting chat bot, and a mobile app) that used all the information I learned in junior phase and then some. It really helped build my confidence and diversify my portfolio of work. We also got personalized career success help to prepare us for the interview process. I really valued the help I got, but coming from HR, I do think that career success is an area that could use a little more focus (and I know the Chicago campus is already working on it). That said, I had two offers within a month of graduating and really love the work I do now.

Overall, I loved my experience with Fullstack. It’s challenging and difficult, but so rewarding. If you’re seriously thinking about a career in software development, I would highly recommend it.

• Emily Drevets • Graduate

SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR PEOPLE CONSIDERING BOOTCAMPS:

Be warned about General Assembly, Coding Dojo, or Northwestern bootcamps. These do not have good reputations. You may have a good outcome, but there are better options out there.

Ask yourself some questions:

• Can you get your company to pay for this? Can you get a scholarship to pay for this?
    • Do you really need to do an in-person, immersive bootcamp? Can you start taking on engineering projects at your current work? Even having one professional project in your portfolio will go a long way to helping you in the job search.
    • Is there a way for you to start learning more now on your own? Do you have to do this right now? You will get more out of FullStack the more you know already.
    • Do you actually like software engineering / programming?
    • Are you ready to work your ass off in bootcamp and then work twice as hard afterwards to get a job as a junior software developer when most companies are looking for people with more experience and might have negative connotations with bootcamp grads?
    • Have you talked to a student from the bootcamp that you want to go to in the during, right after, 3 months after, and 6 months after phase?

Why I chose bootcamp:

• I wanted a rapid change and was ready to be in an in-person environment after working from home for 3 years.
    • I wanted to get paid to write code, and I wanted to make that change happen as fast as possible.

Why I chose FullStack:

• Seemed like the best coding bootcamp option in Chicago.
    • Grace Hopper track meant I paid $3000 up front and then the rest later.

What I wish I’d known about bootcamps before:

• Job market is not geared towards people with bootcamp-type backgrounds, even though they are very prevalent. There are a ton of jobs for people with more experience, though, so I know that as soon as I get two years under my belt, the recruiters will be banging down my door.
    • The more you know going into bootcamp, the more you can get out of it. (I knew this, but still wanted to make a change. I’d been studying on my own for like a year or so before I went, but I wish I’d built some small projects and/or had more experience with computer science fundamentals.

Advice to FullStack Chicago:

• Be more selective. Do not let people in who do not actually love coding or would not try to learn this stuff on their own. Don't let in the get-rich-quickers.
    • Be more transparent. Telling students to "trust the process" when they put $15k + on the line and are taking a big risk is not helpful.
    • Also, treat students like adults, because that's what we are. We should know why deadlines exist and the reasoning behind the structure of the program and its curriculum.
    • Care about your students more OR change your model so that you have fewer students or cohorts and can care more about them.
    • Do NOT market yourself as an easy way to career change and start making a bunch of money. Software engineering is NOT EASY. The people who will do the best are smart and driven and will use FullStack as a way to continue launching themselves somewhere that they already want to go.
    • Double / triple / quadruple down on your diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.

Did I get what I wanted?

Yes. I think so. I only graduated a month ago and have a PT software engineering apprenticeship that I got through a connection from FullStack, so that's awesome. It'll be interesting to see where things go over the next several months and years.

I kind of wish I'd been more patient and taken time to learn and do more on my own before a bootcamp, maybe taking on engineering projects at work, but I waited too long and then I was too eager to get out of there and make the change.

I also kind of wish I'd bit the bullet and moved to NY for the Grace Hopper NY experience. It would have been awesome to get to work with more ladies (there were only 3 others in my cohort of 19).

Would I do it again? Right now, I'm fairly happy with my experience. It was a good time, and I met some awesome people in my cohort, and I'm getting paid to code. Ask me again in a year what I think about it. The outlook may be rosier.

So, while FullStack is not your software engineering fairy godmother and will not turn you into a programmer overnight, it can help highly motivated students get to where they want to go faster.

Good luck!

• Erika Weil • Fullstack Software Engineer • Student

Before attending Grace Hopper, I was working as a music teacher and freelance musician. I’ve always had an interest in engineering and computers, and as I was debating acceptances to a few graduate programs in music, I decided to also look into computer programming as a possible career path. I’m now enjoying my first few weeks as a professional full stack software engineer, and I couldn’t be more grateful to Grace Hopper/Fullstack Academy for the quality of training I received. The curriculum includes information, training and practice for learning how to develop full stack web applications. Even though my job requires me to code in Go and not in JavaScript, the technical skills I gained at Grace Hopper are applicable to my current work. Also, the soft skills I learned through the guidance of my teachers, pair-programming in workshops, and collaborative work on my projects are invaluable to communicating with my coworkers. One of my favorite parts about attending Grace Hopper was getting to know my cohort-mates. The women I met at Grace Hopper are smart, fierce, and driven, but always managed to built me up instead of tearing me down. This has continued after graduation. I listed a project group member as a reference on my job applications, and continue to communicate with my cohort-mates as we start our jobs. I’ve also found that the support of the Grace Hopper/Fullstack network extends beyond just my cohort. After relocating to Chicago, I reached out to some alumni in the area and everyone I contacted responded positively, willing to help however they could. Attending Grace Hopper was expensive, but the fact is that I am much happier as a software engineer than I ever was as a music teacher, and I am earning about double my previous salary. I truly could not have gotten to where I am now without the support of my teachers, mentors and fellow students at Grace Hopper/Fullstack, and I believe it was an investment that has already paid off.

• Luke Miller • Fullstack Immersive Student • Student

I recently finished Fullstack Prep in July 2018, a part time course designed to help students get their feet wet learning Javascript and also to get a feeling for what attending the full time bootcamp might be like.  Prior to the course I'd worked in completely unrelated jobs, had meager self-taught experience with coding languages, and had found the process of learning code daunting.  Making progress this way is difficult!  I really can't recommend taking Prep highly enough if you are curious about the subject matter or are considering applying to the immersive program.

The program's design is very good, they've put a great deal of work into the content and the philosophy behind it.  I always felt like the resources and tools on offer gave many options for study and were enough to keep you occupied and learning well.  Our teachers were stellar!  They were always diligent.  If you have trouble with a concept they'll walk you through examples step-by-step or mock up a problem on a whiteboard; all very helpful!  I also appreciated the staff's honest opinions about if a bootcamp is the right choice for you, they were always forthright about exactly what Fullstack offers.

If you have any burning questions about the school I'd recommend attending one of the informational sessions.  They hold them about once a month, in person, at the school.

• Dave • Software Engineer • Student

I have a background as a professional musician and I made websites throughout my music career. I decided to go all-in and teach myself computer science fundamentals. I fell in love with programming and eventually decided that I wanted to learn web development as fast as possible. I did a lot of research and decided to attend Fullstack Academy. (I also considered the Hack Reactor remote program.) I was hesitant to attend any bootcamp - they're expensive, especially considering you won't be working during and after the program while you search for a job. It wound up exceeding my expectations and I'm so happy that I attended!

I've written a handful of posts about my experiences before, at, and after attending Fullstack Academy here: https://scraggo.github.io/

In a nutshell:

- You learn SO MUCH in a short period of time. I recommend doing a "Hello World" in all the technologies before attending. That way you come in already having gone through a first-touch.

- Time FLIES by! After 3 months, you'll be amazed at the projects you've built.

- My confidence went from a 2 to an 8. You'll be a real full stack developer with the confidence to learn anything new that you need.

- If you worked hard in the program, you'll really be job-ready. It's a monumental task to get an offer for a junior developer, but stick with it. I took an offer just under 3 months after graduating.

Feel free to contact me through my website if you have any questions: https://scraggo.github.io/

• Olivia • Graduate

I graduated from Fullstack Academy in May 2018.  It took me less than two months to find a position after graduating.

I have a CS degree - but I never learned how to write a piece of software in school.  I had to go to Fullstack to learn this.  Fullstack also got me to finally build a portfolio and learn how to interview.  I never learned any of these things while earning my degree.  I am sure that both my degree and bootcamp experience contributed to a successful job search.  However, I didn't feel confident in my coding abilities until after I completed Fullstack

I am a believer.

• Ana • Software Engineer • Student

Definitely the biggest pro about Fullstack Academy is its flexibility.  They offer flex programs, immersive programs, and a remote version.  Throughout all these programs, they use the same curriculum and the same standards for admission.  They even offer a deferred tuition option for women enrolled in the Grace Hopper program.

They also offer a lot of flexibility in terms of how to grow as a developer.  For my cohort, they allowed us to explore project ideas on our own because the biggest skill they wanted us to hone was using each other as a team to make the best decisions from start to finish.  There was also no restriction on what type of project we could build.  And we received A LOT of support from every instructor.  Kate and Ashi were there to back our team up with answers to our technical questions no matter what we decided for our project.  And even when the first half of the program ended, Karen and Dan, our junior instructors who prepared so well for the project phase were there available to cheer us on and only an elevator away for further advice.  My teaching fellows were also the best!  Biggest thanks to Christine, Luisa, Liz, and Aria!

A bit of nitpick from me would be that the job support on the technical side wasn't the best right after I came out of Grace Hopper.  Because I had no idea how to prepare for technical interviews...and honestly, this was my first official job hunt ever.  Luckily, after 6 months of searching,  Ceren started this Mentor-Mentee program and I was seriously lucky to have Wenson Tsai as my  mentor (a volunteer mentor too, bless those Fullstack alumni's souls who volunteered).  Coming from an physics background with only 3-4 semesters of CS-related classes and no formal job experience in tech (or any formal job really), I was not up to date with the jargon in the tech field and Wenson helped me present myself as a confident developer.  He pointed out weaknesses to me in System Design and helped me work on my communicating my projects better.   One of the useful things he pointed out to me is that I should use declarative language when solving problems during JS technical interviews.

Fullstack also assigned me another career counselor to help me on the behavioral side.  That person was Natalie Giuliano.  I had no idea what a job hunt was supposed to be like, and I had a lot of phone interviews already before she was assigned as my counselor.  So she made sure to help me practice answering those hard behavioral questions and helped me come up with better answers.  She also helped me with a lot of job hunt etiquette that I didn't even know.

The biggest thing I like about Fullstack is that they really listen to feedback and offer plenty of support in return.  And thanks to all of this support, I've now accomplished my overdue dream of wanting to make an immediate impact as a software engineer :)

• Jane Costa • Graduate

I did the Grace Hopper program, which is the same as Fullstack Academy but has deferred tuition. The curriculum is STRONG!!!! Before you get to campus and during your very first week, you will coding and learning very advanced computer science topics. They truly ensure that every student knows their stuff and is prepared for the job search ahead including whiteboard interviews. I never had a doubt throughout the program that I would have any trouble finding a job because of what and how they were teaching.

One of the great things Fullstack did was make sure from the beginning that students are ready and that everyone is on the same page. Just to get into the bootcamp, you need to know javascript and be able to solve somewhat diffucult problems as well as be familiar with recursion. However, they have a lot of great resources to get you accepted. Foundations covered some pretty advanced topics but they provided a mentor for each student and paced the prework over 5 weeks so that everyone could master it and there were some tests along the way to make sure everyone was learning the material. I learned so much before I even got to campus and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to converse about code and solve quite challenges problems on the very first day.

I realize that talking about the material in the light of how advanced it is could scare some people away, but I just want to say that I found the program extremely friendly and not scary at all. They just want to make sure everyone is ready and on the same page, and they provide a lot of resources to get you there. If you ever feel like you are falling behind, they will not kick you out like some bootcamps will. Instead, they will get you the help that you need, and even allow you to repeat the first half of the program (junior phase) if you are struggling. Everything they do is to make sure you succeed.

I also found they focus a good amount on soft skills, which was amazing to see. They make sure students learn to communicate about issues that arise during pair programming before these issues ever arise, they talk about unconscious bias, they have retrospectives to reflect on different parts of the program, make sure students are taking care of themselves emotionally, etc. I found that students are able to give feedback about the program and the feedback is taken seriously and changes are implemented almost immediately as a result of student feedback.

The career success program is very strong as well. They don't just teach you how to code and build projects on this program. A big portion of the second half of the program was focused on getting students hireable. We had regular mandatory meetings with the career success team, practiced interviews (behavioral, technical, and whiteboarding), received feedback on resumes and linkedIn profiles, and so many presentations on job hunting. The career success team really sticks with you throughout the process and after you graduate to make sure you get hired.

Overall, this program was amazing for me. I went to a different bootcamp before this program to turn around my career and I constantly felt anxious and unready to find a job. Fullstack Academy eased my worries and I never once doubted that I could find a job in the end. At first I was concerned because Fullstack teaches pure JavaScript instead of mixing in some of the other competing languages, but I truly believe that it served me well. I was able to learn really complex topics in depth and branch out past just web development. I also believe that now I can learn anything. In a nutshell, I learned amazing things, I built amazing projects including a mobile app and VR app with AI, I made amazing friendships with the women there, I constantly felt uplifted, and I had a job offer 10 days at the end of the program.

• Fullstack student
    - 4/20/2018
    Sandy • Graduate

I absolutely love the amount of passion and support the staff put in to the immersivve program. Not only are they there to help you get through the program, they are there to help you succeed in the engineering world. I am very appreciative of the things I learned from my instructors and all the support I received from all the staff.

• Raul • Software Engineer • Graduate

You'll be amazed by what you'll be able to code by the end of the program. The lecture materials and workshops are very thoughtfully ordered to help you blaze through the most efficient learning path. Whatever you learned in the morning is just enough to lay a foundation for the afternoon. You concentrate mostly on skills you would actually use on the job, but there's also just enough theory to help you learn technologies not covered in the program. The pace is fairly challenging, but the instructors and fellows are super friendly and always there to help you.

• Matt Smith • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated in December 2017 as a part of the TTP Web Development Fellowship cohort. This was a slightly longer program in terms of on-site commitment, and about half of us did Bootcamp Prep together as well, but the Immersive Section was the same curriculum as the standard cohorts. I was lucky to go through this with an extremely smart and motivated group that was also 100% supportive of each other at every turn.

The only programming experience I had coming in was working through some online courses and basic Comp Sci books, mostly Unity related and Harvard's CS50. This course will demand all of your time, your mental space, and your former social life. It's often exhausting. The first positive thing I have to say is that our instructors were super engaging, and even when things were difficult, even confusing, or I was really tired, the teaching style kept me fully present. They described the pace of the Junior phase as "like drinking from a fire hose" and I'd have to agree. They'll tell you to trust the process, and you should. There were times I had to move on from something new feeling like I really hadn't fully conquered the previous topic but things had a way of sinking in over time. I think that's a credit to their pedagogical design. Things build on top of each other very well. I'd echo the review of one of my cohort-mates and agree that the instructors are great teachers but also just great all around communicators.

The first half of the Immersive is workshop based, the second is project based. This semed to work really well and I found the balance good.

The curriculum is kept very up to date with what's actually happening in the job market: React, Redux, ES6, etc. I think it's good that they teach relational DBs (Postgres with Sequelize for us), I found MongoDB pretty easy to pick up conceptually after the fact but I'm not sure it would have worked the same in reverse.

There's a solid emphasis on computer science fundamentals for a bootcamp: in early workshops, additional lectures, and the fact that you practice whiteboarding algorithm problems every morning for the entire Senior phase.  There are a lot of kind of "extracurriculars" that I really enjoyed, bonus lectures on functional programming, special guest presentations, some Agile training, teambuilding exercises, and occasionally just something extra one of the instructors were interested in (two memorable ones for me were a lecture on the lambda calculus and another on the Koa framework).

There were times where I found it somewhat difficult to get one on one time with instructors around checkpoint times but on the whole they are super available, intelligent, communicative, and willing to get into the reeds on any number of topics inside and outside the curriculum. Every cohort also has Fellows, which are kind of like TAs, recent graduates competitively selected to stay on in support of the instructors for the next cohort. Ours were excellent.

I'm not sure what to say about Career Services. It felt rushed and single-minded at times, and I didn't always like the tone it was delivered in. Sometimes the balance or timing of those tasks didn't feel well thought out in terms of what was going on in the main curriculum. But I think it's probably smart, you can't get too nuanced in something that's so highly variable, I think in the end they commit to this one-way-that-they-know-can-work-and-has. I have worked in other capacities at tech companies and have a lot of professional experience before making this decision to pursue software development, and when I try to imagine myself in the position of not having that experience I think their advice is extremely valuable for someone new to the job market in general or tech in particular.

The hiring day at the end was a success for me, I met my current employer there and I'm super super happy with my job. I had other offers and onsite invitations come out of it as well. So like I said, even though I didn't always love it, the Career Services team delivered for me (and a number of others in my cohort who also got hired out of Hiring Day).

My instructors were excellent, the other instructors I was exposed to through other events were excellent, there is a ton of genune support for students throughout the whole process (they have a kind of experience counselor there for any and all things you might be going through), and I got a job. So I'll just wrap up by saying this program works, it's exhausting but ultimately enjoyable if you love code. And it can get you a great job.

• Brian McCann • Software Developer • Graduate

I only have good things to say about Fullstack. I can’t guarantee that everyone will have the same experience. The program worked well for me partly because of my learning style and also due to the type of job I got after graduating. The program favors self teachers which is probably the case for any coding bootcamp. That doesn’t mean they don’t do anything for you or provide structure because they certainly do. I found they did a good job of providing what you need as beginner but still encourage you to explore and learn on your own. A coding bootcamp would not be helpful if they explained and guided you through every little thing. The end goal is to get you a job as a software developer and as a developer you will be struggling through much harder problems with only online resources to help you.

Another reason I say that the program was beneficial to me personally is because the technologies I use at my first programming job are highly related to the Fullstack curriculum. It’s likely that I was hired at this job because of the skills I was able to list rather then the overlap being a coincidence, however I have heard of graduates getting positions where they learn an entirely different stack or are required to code in a language other than Javascript. I can say that whatever you learn at Fullstack (curriculum is always in flux) will be highly relevant for many jobs. While you will still have a lot to learn after graduation it’s likely you will be ahead of the curve in some aspects as you have been trained in cutting edge concepts that those working in the field don’t have the time, desire, or even awareness of it’s existence necessary to learn.

Another great thing about the program is the atmosphere and attitude exemplified by the administration and instructors. They have high expectations and push you very hard but are very understanding when you encounter difficulties (almost everyone does) and encourage you to open up. It is not a cut throat atmosphere (as I’ve heard some bootcamps are) where they try to get you to snap reality tv show style, so they can whittle down the field to only the most competitive and sleep deprived students. Instead they encourage you to take breaks, take care of yourself emotionally and physically, and most importantly (i.m.o) foster a sense of community with your peers and invite you to express yourself to a member of their staff if you’re not doing well. They even have someone dedicated to helping you deal with (non-technical) emotional/psychological difficulties. I can objectively say I was not the quickest to understand things in my cohort nor was I ever the first or even the fifth person to finish a test. The program is structured so that people who may not have the strongest raw programming ability, can do just as well as anyone else. Through pair programming and other systems students who are ahead can help students who are behind. The program also emphasizes the full range of skills necessary to becoming a software developer of which writing code is not the only one.

The education and hands on experience of developing a project as a team at FS went beyond my expectations. I participated in their hiring day on graduation and got a follow up interview with two of the companies the next week. A week after my follow up interviews I was invited for a final on-site with one company and was offered a job at the other. Two weeks after graduating I already had a job that exceeded my expectations both in terms of salary and the type of work I wanted to do. In my case the timeline was a little quicker than usual but my level of satisfaction was not uncommon based on conversations I’ve had with peers and other grads. Much of this is due to their great curriculum and emphasis on mastering tough technical concepts. The rate of success is also do to the fact that they have a dedicated career success team that teaches you how to market yourself, job search, and interview both during and after the program. The school is also very well connected to many tech companies with a broad alumni network. There are probably around 10 FS grads at my company alone which only has a workforce of around 60.

Main takeaways are as follows. Expect to work very hard including nights and often all weekend. If you put in the time and effort you will be rewarded exponentially. They only hire the most talented, knowledgeable, emotionally intelligent, and capable teachers. Expect to be well taken care of. Expect some tough times but if you want to be there, and want to learn, expect most of your time to be fun, positive, and exciting.

• Graduate
    - 3/26/2018
  • Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

Preparing for Fullstack:

I attended Fullstack Academy after working for several years as an editor, and realizing I loved both the logic and creativity involved in coding (the little I was exposed to). I learned some HTML and CSS on the job, but JavaScript was new to me. I studied JavaScript for 5 months using online resources before applying to the Web Development Fellowship at Fullstack. At that point, I wouldn't say the admissions exam and interview were easy, but they were at a fair level and I was admitted into the program. Good communication seemed to be a key factor to admission as well.

Attending Fullstack:

I echo all the reviews here that mention Fullstack's great instructors and approach to teaching code. The curriculum builds on itself such that by the time you finish the program, you've gained a lot of depth in your JavaScript knowledge, and can apply that approach to learning anything new. You'll have several full-scale projects under your belt, too.

You don't need to have prior coding experience to do well at Fullstack, but being strong at problem-solving, logical thinking, or math would definitely help everything come easier to you. The instructors also do a great job of explaining the material in a digestible way.

Job Search:

Fullstack has great connections as far as companies in the industry. One of the companies that attended our hiring day hired 5 people in our cohort, me being one of them, and I wouldn't say this is the norm but I accepted a position as a software engineer a week after graduation. (I had factored in 3-4 months of job-searching in my plans, because for many companies the overall interview process takes 4-6 weeks).

The career services team at Fullstack are highly skilled at what they do and were incredibly helpful; however I got the impression they were juggling a lot and when dealing with our class as a whole they were not as effective/friendly as they were one-on-one. It's also important to note that Fullstack is there to help you during your job search, but obviously they won't do the work for you, so be ready for long hours of studying, networking, and coding even after graduation for the best results. I'd also advise to keep building apps, because job interviews are easier when you can back up your answers with real examples.

On the job:

I've now been working full time as a software engineer in NYC for 3 months, and though I haven't been working with the exact same stack that Fullstack taught us (don't expect to), picking up the new technology went very smoothly, and I've been able to tackle everything thrown my way so far. On top of that, my managers have been very impressed with how fast us Fullstack grads caught on (to their stack, code base, and projects) and how soon we've been making valuable contributions to the code base. I can definitely say Fullstack prepares you well.

Final thoughts:

If you're debating between Fullstack and other programs in the city, I think what sets Fullstack apart from the rest is their culture and curriculum. I have friends who attended other coding bootcamps in NY, and the culture at Fullstack tops them all in terms of professionalism and a supportive, friendly atmosphere. We had a lot of fun in our cohort, but also were all driven and hard-working. Many bootcamps can seem really fun because of how much they party, but if you're serious about changing careers, I believe it's best to focus and put yourself in an environment that reflects being on the job. I've also found that my friends from other programs have had a harder time getting job-ready, because their programs taught them a wide breadth of technology, frameworks, and libraries, but nothing in too much depth.

Fullstack won't disappoint, especially if you're motivated and ready to work hard!

• Max B • Student • Graduate

I participated in the summer of code program at Fullstack going into my sophmore year of college. I had a great time, and learned the practical knowledge and skills that I'll need when I'm looking for employment after I graduate. If anyone is looking for a way to turn their theory-based CS education into something practical, this is the program for you. While it is a bit pricey, if you can make it work, I would 100% recommend it.

• Fullstack Academy
    - 2/27/2018
    Alex Ginsberg • Software Engineer • Graduate

Fullstack Academy has the potential to give you an amazing education and potentially an equally great career, if you are willing to work hard and use all the tools they give you. The curriculum is structured to first expose you to their tech stack and to then let you use that stack to create projects for your portfolio. Fullstack gives you everything you need to succeed, but it's up to you to use what you're given. There is very little micromanaging in the course, meaning if you are struggling, it is up to you to seek out help and to improve yourself. While this does open up the opportunity for failure, anybody who is willing to work hard and has a passion for making cool stuff can definately succeed here.

In terms of getting a job, all graduates are definately prepared to work in a professional software engineering environment, however, Fullstack doesn't gurantee a job right off the bat. Fullstack does offer support on the job search, through Hiring Day, post-graduation career counseling, resume review, etc.. Just like with the curriculum, you will get what you put in, meaning if you work hard on it, you have everything you need to succeed. I think some additional managing from career services could have been good here, since it is easy to slack off when you're not showing up to campus everyday. However, they will offer plenty of help and guidance to anybody that reaches out. There is also a large alumni network which you will be able to leverage in your search.

I definately recommend Fullstack Academy for anybody looking to become a software engineer. The curriculum is relevant, the instructors are knowledgable and easy to work with, and the career services team is dedicated to making sure you land a job. If you are willing to work hard, you will see some amazing results.

- 2/19/2018
    Abel McElroy • Graduate

The culture was amazing. The staff fostered a productive and healthy learning environment. Turkey one of the best experiences of my life.

• Oscar A. Ramirez • Software Engineer • Graduate

The Fullstack Academy Software Engineer Immersive program has a great curriculum and the schedule is layed out effectively. The first six weeks of the program is lectures and workshops. The workshops solidify the material in the lectures. As you work in pairs, some doubts you may have can be cleared with your peer programming buddy. If not, you always have a Fellow to aks questions. Fellows are alumni who stay for the next cohort to help instructors. This guarantees coverage for questions and general help for students. The curriculum for lectures is updated often between cohorts and reflects the software and languages being used in the real world.

The latter six weeks of the program you spend all your time in project work. I think this is a valuable time for many of my fellow cohorts who may have never worked as a group in a software project. It reveals to them how communication is important to collaborate when working on a single GitHub repo (think merge conflicts!).

One other valuable part of the program is during the latter six weeks as well. Every morning we work on an algorithm challenge. This time helps solidify fundamental computer science concepts and prepares you for what you will face in real interview.

The instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful, the Fellows provide another level of coverage so students never feel lost or without help resources.

Finally towards the end of the program the Career Resources team kicks in to help you prepare for interviews and job search. The team is very helpful and really walk you through the entire process in detail. For those cohorts looking for work for the first time in their lives this is very valuable information. Even for someone with experience like me, it provides a review of what the job search practices are today.

Overall I got a lot out of the program and was able to get the type of job I wanted. I highly recommend the program.

• Monica • Software Engineer • Graduate

Exceeded my expectations. :)

Positives: Great teachers, very fun, good space. Teaches coding principles for those who are self-taught (!!!!). Super friendly. You can learn a ton if you put in the time. Covers a lot, quickly. Definitely would not have gotten my job without these guys. I would strongly recommend to someone who's only done research beforehand and is trying to move into software.

Negatives: Curriculum focuses on usage of a lot of frameworks, which is fun but definitely didn't really stick in my head after the course. Not enough focus on coding problems/algorithms. Post-graduation has some super awesome people helping out but you are no longer the focus of their life (obviously, but a lot more structure would be useful). Definitely not enough time to learn for someone who has not coded before, so self study for a few months first. Work on full-stack projects first, work in UNIX, make a website, whatever.

• Franklyn • Graduate

I'm a Yale CS major who took FSA in Fall of 2016. FSA was hands down one of the most rewarding and fun educational experiences I've gone through. I did a pretty thorough comparison of bootcamps before choosing FSA, and am very happy with my decision. A couple of key points

1. Excellent instructors with legit backgrounds: my main instructor was an ex-Microsoft software engineer. The founders Nimit & David are also legit engineers.

2. Full-on teaching support staff. Former students acted as TFs; very knowledgeable, and helped immensely.

3. Legit, well designed curriculum. We went over both fundamentals (algos) and cutting edge frameworks (React, Node, etc). The activities were fun and very practical.

FSA was very demanding. Fellow classmates were really smart and driven. Everyone came in knowing a bit of code, so we were able to move very quickly.

I'd say if you're looking to level up your practical skills (i.e., know how to build web apps and not just AVL trees), FSA is hands down the best and most effective ways to get that out there. If you're a CS major considering doing this, I'd highly recommend it as a complement to a traditional CS education (a couple of my classmates are now seriously considering it).

• Christine Leverett • Product Developer • Graduate

I finished the Grace Hopper Program at FSA in April and then completed the fellowship in July. The experience as a whole was probably the best decision I've ever made for my professional career. I went into the program with very basic Javascript knowledge, having built maybe one or two very simple websites and with no professional experience at all. At the end, I had multiple interviews with a variety of companies that I felt very well-prepared for despite being a nervous wreck. I would not have been as successful as I was in the job search without Ceren and Claudia either. I called Ceren with every question I had and sent them almost every version of every thing I wrote, which they gladly edited or approved. They did mock interviews with me and gave me great feedback that in the end culminated into me receiving mulitple offers. When it came to finally accepting, Ceren helped me negotiate my salary to $10,000 more than what was offered. I'm still in disbelief that after 6 months I'm working in a role that I thorougly enjoy at a company I'm so excited about and making an incredible salary.

That being said, the program is defninitely not for everyone. You're going to get out of it what you put into it and it can seem a little chaotic or disorganized at times because they are understaffed. But there is no shortage of people who want to help you; the instructors, Chris and the career success team are with you every step of the way.

• Daniel Park • We • Graduate

Like many of my classmates, I attended Fullstack Academy (FSA) for a career change. I had only started coding on and off a month before I formally applied to the program. FSA offered a robust program that directed my passion and enthusiasm for coding into practical ends. Beyond the ever-developing curriculum, the instructors have been top notch (at least the ones who taught our cohort). They spoke with clarity and depth regarding complex topics. Most of all, they were able to package years of classroom knowledge in just 3 short months. Looking back, I can honestly say that the program changed the trajectory of my career for the rest of my life. I am happily employed at an amazing company, an opportunity that would not have been possible in this short of a transition without FSA.

Some look to coding bootcamps as the 100% package to make their way into the tech industry. I'd say that FSA does not lack in comparison to other bootcamps in that regard for sure -- however, much of the burden of succeeding in the program and the job search thereafter is on the student. My personal successes have been in applying what I've learned, exploring the breadth and depth of technical articles out there, and recognizing that there is always so much to learn. FSA helped facilitate that kind of learning through their amazing instructors and staff and their curriculum. But don't expect things to be handed to you... the job market for entry level software engineers is tough, you have to prove yourself constantly to make it.

I would say, don't goto FSA to be motivated to code, you must be motivated prior to attending FSA. To make the most of your Fullstack experience, be ready to grind it out!