digitalcrafts-logo

DigitalCrafts

Atlanta, Houston, Tampa

DigitalCrafts

DigitalCrafts offers a 16-week full-time and a 26-week part-time full-stack developer bootcamp in Atlanta, Houston, and Tampa. DigitalCrafts' bootcamps are intensive classroom experiences, transforming beginners into full-stack software developers trained in JavaScript, React, Node.js, Python, and more. Unique to DigitalCrafts is their elective program, where students or alumni have access to a variety of workshops and presentations as an additional perk.

DigitalCrafts’ instructors are all professional engineers with years of real-world development experience. The average class size is small, allowing for an efficient and effective learning environment where students "learn by building." In addition, students receive resume/portfolio guidance and a mock interview lesson. The admissions process consists of an online application, interview, and coding challenge. Financing and scholarships are available, and early enrollment incentives can further lower tuition for students.

Recent DigitalCrafts Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (187) reviews for DigitalCrafts →

Recent DigitalCrafts News

Read all (28) articles about DigitalCrafts →
  • Full Stack Flex (Part-Time)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Linux, Algorithms, Node.js, Front End, Scrum
    December 3, 2019
    Houston, Atlanta
    The 26-Week Full Stack Flex Program is the part-time version of our Full Stack Immersive Program, designed for working professionals, entrepreneurs, and students who prefer longer but more flexible class formats. This remote-enabled class takes place in the evenings and on Saturdays. Much like our Immersive Program, Flex students learn the ins-and-outs of both front-end and back-end web development, graduating with professional portfolios featuring full stack projects built with the technologies employers are seeking today. Our curriculum features Javascript, React, Node.js & the NERP stack, some of the most cutting-edge technologies around. These technologies are being used at companies like Google, LinkedIn, Netflix, Walmart, and PayPal. Python is an in-demand and versatile programming language widely used in both software development (Instagram, for example) & the ever-growing field of data analytics. Our curriculum is proven and our graduates have been hired at great companies like Home Depot, New York Times, Car & Driver, LiveAction, Soltech, Market America, Kredible, Piksel, Greater Sum, Narwhal Digital, RiskAlyze, Army of Bees, BridalLive, Liaison Technologies, and more.
    $1,000 (eligible for financing)
    Finance with Skills Fund for as low as $192/month
    Payment plans available.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Secure your seat early for additional discounts.
    Women and Veterans automatically receive scholarships to attend our Immersive and Flex Programs. If you do not qualify, we also sponsor The Builder Scholarship awarded to applicants with inspiring stories and goals.
    Beginner or Intermediate
    Pre-requisite work will be provided.
    December 3, 2019 - Atlanta
  • Full Stack Immersive (Full-Time)

HTML, Git, Python, JavaScript, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, Front End
    November 6, 2019
    Houston, Atlanta
    This 16-week intensive program is for beginners and CS graduates alike. Students will learn the ins and outs of front-end and back-end web development, as the class moves through HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SQL databases, Node.js, React.js, Python, and more. Javascript, Node.js & the NERP stack encompass some of the most cutting-edge technologies today and are being used at companies like Google, LinkedIn, Netflix, Walmart, and PayPal. Python is an in-demand and versatile programming language widely used in both software development (Instagram, for example) & the ever-growing field of data analytics. Our curriculum is proven and our graduates have been hired at great companies like Home Depot, New York Times, Car & Driver, LiveAction, Soltech, Market America, Kredible, Piksel, Greater Sum, Narwhal Digital, RiskAlyze, Army of Bees, BridalLive, Liaison Technologies, and more.
    $1,000 (eligible for financing)
    Finance with Skills Fund for as low as $293/month
    Students may pay up-front or enroll in an income-share agreement. Payment plans are also available.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Secure your seat early for additional discounts.
    Beginner or Intermediate
    Pre-requisite work will be provided.
    November 6, 2019 - Atlanta
    January 13, 2020 - Atlanta
    November 6, 2019 - Houston
    January 13, 2020 - Houston
  • Training (Corporate)

Houston, Atlanta
    DigitalCrafts designs, builds, and executes custom enterprise training for select clients across the globe. These custom programs are built from scratch based on our client's needs which can vary across software engineering, mobile development, automated testing, and DevOps. These courses are not open to the general public and are only reserved for full-time employees of our clients.

• Emre Akurek  User Photo
    Emre Akurek • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    If you want to deeply understand how Web development works, you've come to the right place. The program teaches you the fundamentals of the web development from scratch -- from the theoretical aspects of object-oriented programming, to the actual skill of how to write an HTTP request. The instructors are great -- always willing to answer questions, provide their knowledge and experienced perspectives while building web applications. The first ten weeks help you get a feel to build quality full-stack web application. I remember my first week at the program, how much difficulty I had to write and solve some simple array questions, then last week(16th), how cool web applications I had created. Our DIR's were all amazing - they were always eager to help someone through an issue. This course is not easy and will take a lot of dedication, but will pay off if you work hard.
    I would definitely recommend DigitalCrafts for both beginners and CS graduates and suggest them to do as much of the pre-work as possible so that once you're in class, you can spend more time trying to understand the more complex topics rather than struggling with the basics.
  • Jack Gamboa  User Photo
    Jack Gamboa • None • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I completed my 16 week program Jan 2019.

Prior to attending a bootcamp I was working as a Microsoft T-SQL reports developer.  However, on the side, I always enjoyed learning other coding skills, dabbling with small snippets of code with hopes of using them at work.  I finally decided I wanted to build on those skills and finally decided to enroll into a web developer bootcamp hoping that it will get me closer to pursuing a career as a web developer.

There are a few things that helped me in my decision to steer my career toward a different path.  I knew I wanted to code.  I knew I wanted to do web development instead of desktop.  I knew I wanted to see what the Javascript stack would be like.  I've always dabbled in C# (basics) but I figured Javascript stack may give me a different perspective on how things could be done and at the same time it seems to be the languange I really need to know to be a web developer.  I knew I also learned better in a class setting.  I also knew I needed to have a really good instructor whom to learn from but that was difficult to know until I actually went to class and he/she would be a hit or miss.  Last but not least, I felt that if anything, I will have spent my time learning and come out knowing more than I did and was up to how much effort I put into it before, during, and after my cohort.

Above are my personal reasons but as far as choosing DigitalCrafts specifically, I just didn't know enough about all the technologies that are mentioned on their curriculum.  Node.js, MongoDb, PostgreSql, Express.js, etc.. all sounded foreign but sounded good.  After digging deeper into what those were in general and their uses, I finally decided I wanted to learn these technologies.  And last, I just really liked the reviews from previous students.

The 16 week course I would describe as the history of the web condensed into a few weeks and how things were done in the 90's up to today.  As far as web technology, I went in knowing a little of HTML, no CSS, some Javascript, programming basics, some idea of front-end communication with backend databases.

I know now that what I knew prior to the 16 weeks was really not a whole lot as far as web technology is concerned.  I have learned so much more since then.  Eventhough I completed the course, I am still very much a junior web developer.  However, I had really good help from my teacher and TAs throughout.  I also have good direction going forward.  I was lucky and very greatful I got a great teacher to learn from.  Thank you again Azam!  Also thank you to our awesome TAs Stephen and James!

Other than that, I am still looking for employment = ) but have better skills to move forward!

• Uber to Engineer
    - 2/9/2019
    Nat Sharpe  User Photo
    Nat Sharpe • Software Engineer I • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    A year ago I was driving for Uber and selling things on eBay to support my growing family. My plan was to become a software engineer but the obstacles were enormous. I had no college credits, no coding experience, and no time to waste.

Choosing a coding boot camp was a big decision. I finally went with DigitalCrafts as they offered a cutting-edge curriculum and had great reviews. My first day in class I looked around the room. It was full of smart, committed people who were eager to learn. The energy of the students and staff was palpable. I knew I had made the right choice.

The next four months were intense. The pace was fast and a couple times I felt overwhelmed, but each weekend I found myself impatient for Monday. I spent happy hours coding, collaborating on projects and playing ping pong. I had many conversations with the entrepreneurs and developers who shared Atlanta Tech Village. Weeks after graduation, one of the entrepreneurs hired me to build a React web app. This allowed me to hone my skills as I continued applying for a permanent position.

Three months later, my job search is complete. This morning I accepted a Software Engineer position at an amazing company. Thanks to DigitalCrafts, my future and the future of my family is looking up.

I am grateful to the many friends I made on this adventure: my teacher, Jonathan Martin, the founders and staff at DigitalCrafts, my fellow classmates, the students from earlier and later cohorts, and every senior engineer who kindly shared their tips and experience.
  • Greg Foreman  User Photo
    Greg Foreman • Front End Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended DigitalCrafts' Sept 2018 - Jan 2019 Full-stack Immersive cohort in Atlanta, and it was the best career decision I could have made. After 20+ years in the telecom vendor industry, I was hungry for a career change. I dabbled for a couple of years with numerous online resources (edX, Coursera, Udemy, FreeCodeCamp, etc) but finally recognized I needed to attend a bootcamp with a strong, full-stack curriculum if I was going to feel confident enough to change jobs.

After researching several Atlanta-area in-person camps, as well as a few online options, I settled on DigitalCrafts because:

• the cost was reasonable compared to other in-person options,
    • the Atlanta Tech Village (ATV) location was amazing and right in the heart of one of Atlanta's booming tech districts,
    • the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful,
    • the reviews from former students, as well as what I could see in their LinkedIn and GitHub accounts, were amazing, and
    • the full-stack curriculum was heavily focused on JavaScript, and included very current topics such as React and AWS

All of these reasons proved to be true, and I never regretted my decision to attend. Being 47 years old, I was nervous that I would not fit in with the other students, most of whom were in their 20s and early 30s, but that was never an issue. There is a real sense of community, both inside the classroom, and throughout the ATV facility which is also home to many tech start-up companies. At the free lunch ATV provides on Fridays, you can sit with your fellow students, or grab a seat with a stranger and listen to them practice their elevator pitch for their startup (and maybe even get a job offer).

The reviews here are full of compliments about the instructors, and I whole-heartedly agree, so I won't repeat how amazing they are. DigitalCrafts does an excellent job finding experienced and knowledgeable people who know how to teach to serve as their instructors. Each cohort has a lead instructor and one or two teaching assistants and they all go above and beyond, frequently staying well after class and providing regular office hours to offer any extra help as needed. You not only learn how to be a full stack developer (with HTML, CSS, JS, and React on the front end, and Node, Express, PostgreSQL on the backend), but you also learn the important skill of deploying what you build on AWS cloud servers, which comes in handy when you want to quickly show an interviewer what you have created.

Lastly, the career services at DC exceeded my expectations. They stop short of guaranteeing you a job, but they do everything possible to put you in a position to succeed in your job search. There are frequent sessions where the importance of resumes, portfolios, GitHub, and LinkedIn are discussed, and the DC career services team works with you to build and improve each of them. Interviewing advice is offered regularly and you get to do a mock interview to practice your interview skills. We took a class trip to the office of a local web dev shop to see firsthand how their developers work in an agile team environment, and there were several guest speakers who came in later in the cohort to talk about job search and career advice for new developers. This all paid off for me (and several other classmates) as I had a successful interview, which led to a job offer during the final week of my cohort.

I am now enjoying the one week break from the end of my cohort to my first day at work as I start my new career as a software developer. I will be forever grateful to DigitalCrafts for helping to make that possible.

• Eric Ridenour  User Photo
    Eric Ridenour • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am a former teacher and was looking to attend a coding bootcamp. I did some research of the available classes in Houston and found that DigitalCrafts had high ratings and success stories. I now know why they have such high ratings! I had Veronica as a teacher and it was an absolute blast. I didn't realize software development could be so fun!

This class is most definitely challenging, but it's rewarding. If you are thinking about signing up, do it. You won't be disappointed. Take the pre-work very seriously and be ready to work hard and overcome many challenges!

- 10/20/2018
    Brandon Humphries  User Photo
    Brandon Humphries • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Earlier this year I decided to quit my job and attend the Full Stack Immersive Program at DigitalCrafts. I had no prior coding experience, so I was definitely nervous about understanding the material and keeping up with the pace.

The four months were definitely a roller coaster ride. There were days that I would quickly grasp concepts and then there were days where I struggled to put code on the screen. And as easy as it was to second guess my decision on those days that I struggled, I saw my struggles as a sign that I was learning and challenging myself. I wouldn't be gaining anything if everything was easy. Learning fundamentals is stressed throughout the course instead of introducing the easier shortcuts right away. The curriculum is robust, so you get exposure to different areas of full stack development. The projects are awesome because they allow you to go through sprint-like scenarios that you may encounter in a job setting. The projects also allow you to own the project from beginning to end. You are coming up with the project idea, then you design and develop your project, and then you are able to deploy it for the world to see! The project weeks were easily the most exciting parts of this course!

I truly enjoyed my time at DigitalCrafts. There is a reason why they are rated so highly. The staff was always supportive and there to help in any way they could. Our instructor, Jonathan, was so passionate about helping our class not only learn to code, but to code well. He emphasized the better and more conventional ways to do things and he encouraged us to avoid improper use of code. Jonathan had over a decade of experience but he was able to break down concepts and clearly explain them so that those of us with no coding background could understand. I feel well-prepared for my career change and I could not be happier with my experience! I definitely recommend this program to anyone looking to make the leap into web development!

• Hannah Glasser  User Photo
    Hannah Glasser • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I could not have been happier with my experience at DigitalCrafts. Prior to attending this bootcamp, I was working as a Paralegal and trying to learn to code on the side. I knew that in order to make the career change, I wanted something full-time and in person to really ramp up my learning. That limited my search to bootcamps in Atlanta. In that regard, everything I had heard really pushed me towards DigitalCrafts. I based my decision on reviews, personal testimonials from DC alumni in my network, and overall just a good deal of online research. As many people will tell you - you really do get out of this what you put into it. If you have the time and the money to devote to this, and you are ready to put your all into it - then I highly recommend attending DigitalCraft's Full-Time Immersive program.

Some specific details of what in particular I really appreciated about the course are below:

1. Group Projects - this was huge and something that I feel really gave me a lot to talk about in interviews. We had 4 big projects throughout the 16 week program. In each one, you have to come up with something unique for your group to work on, plan out the work flow, and then actually execute everything in about 1 week. You start learning to solve problems that may not have been directly discussed in lecture, communicate effectively in a group, and constantly adjust your product to fit what you have the time and capability to accomplish.

2. The Instructor - My instructor was a very good speaker, and someone that excelled in breaking technical concepts down into something people with very little experience or background knowledge can understand. There is a huge difference in learning by randomly googling, versus learning from someone that really focuses on best practices and figuring out the most efficient, logical, and readable way to accomplish something. I can not say enough great things about Jonathan.

• Ian Gornall  User Photo
    Ian Gornall • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My approach to learning coding was originally to learn content through online platforms like Coursera and Udemy while practicing on freeCodeCamp.  I spent about half a year at it, and learned quite a bit, but I hit a point where I knew that to keep myself motivated I would need to find a classroom setting where I would have a structured environment to learn.

My background is that I have always been strong in math.  I took an AP Computer Science course over 15 years ago and did well in that, but pursued Psychology in college and taught elementary school for six years before deciding to pursue coding again.

I gained a lot out of DigitalCrafts.  The curriculum is fast-paced and even the material that I thought I had already learned was presented in a new light.  I learned to think critically about not just how to program, but how to program well - what design patterns were elegant and what patterns should be avoided due to inefficiency or likelihood to cause bugs.  The curriculum was geared towards developing a strong foundation of skills and then challenging students to figure out the more advanced tooling in teams.

The team projects were both difficult and enlightening.  Working in groups, we learned both how to use tools to manage project collaboration, something you just don't learn on your own, and explored techniques and technologies that were not directly taught in class.  In a field where new technologies are being developed all the time, developers must adapt and be ready to learn and implement them to stay relevant in the field.

We built full-stack applications with multiple features, having to set up database tables, backend routes, and front-end dynamic interfaces for each feature.  This incremental development across the stack reinforced the skills learned in class.  In addition, we built what we wanted to build, so we repeated implementations of technologies on intrinsically motivating projects, while learning new things required for each additional feature.  I cannot think of a better way to learn.

The instructor was personable, dynamic, and interesting.  The class environment was supportive and positive.  The staff was full of friendly, helpful people.

I highly recommend this program.

• Michael Lohmeier  User Photo
    Michael Lohmeier • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Before the actual review of the bootcamp itself, let's establish some setting: DigitalCrafts is located on the 4th floor of the Atlanta Tech Village, a beautiful building, collaborative space, and tech hub in downtown Buckhead. It has lots of windows with great views of the city and a big flatscreen in front of the elevators on the first floor that tells you, every five minutes, in glorious high-definition capital letters, to HUSTLE. You will meet some VERY interesting people here if you're open and willing to do that. Now let's get to my educational experience in the full-stack immersive program: because of DigitalCrafts, I am now fully prepared to work as a software engineer. Every single day in Johnathan's classroom was a worthy challenge and a very cool experience, and the level of required focus brought on a personal cognitive shift. I don't just know how to code now, I'm a more open and direct communicator and a more rigorous thinker. I feel totally prepared for the real and virtual world of software engineering, and perhaps more importantly, I'm having real conversations with the people who can make that happen.

• Matthew Marberry  User Photo
    Matthew Marberry • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I could not string together words in an efficient enough way to accurately describe how amazing my experience was at DigitalCrafts.  Every step of the cohort was an amazing experience.  Each member of the staff genuinely cared about the success of each and every student.  Zakia and Liz work especially hard to make sure students are content and successful throughout the cohort.

My instructor was Johnathan and I cannot speak high enough about his skills as a teacher.  He is a true genius and brings a great energy and heightened level of charisma to all of his lectures.  He placed importance on learning the basics and foundations of programming - we would often learn stuff the 'hard' way first before moving on to material that better solves the problem at hand.  This way we knew exactly what was going on behind the scenes when we were using certain functions in our programming.

Johnathan and our DIR's Rachel and Ben were all amazing - they were always eager to help someone through an issue, but they would never provide the answer.  They would make efforts to guide the student towards to solution so the student could truly have that, "AHA!" moment when they understand the problem and the solution.

I attended college for 4 years and I can honestly say that I learned more in this immersive cohort than I did when I was at college, that is because I was learning entirely new languages and problem solving skills that were mostly foreign to me.

I had already had a foundation in CSS, JavaScript and HTML - but anything related to the backend, databases or React was entirely foreign to me.  I walked away from the program able to make a fully functional app that I believe in, am passionate about and could garner investment from the right crowd.

If you are considering a bootcamp in the Atlanta or Houston area - I would tell you not to look any farther than DigitalCrafts.  They are very good at what they do.

• Sara Muntean  User Photo
    Sara Muntean • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

About five months ago, I made the craziest decision of my life: to quit my full-time job, move states, and join DigitalCrafts, with no background in technology. Now that I'm finished and looking back, I can confidently say it was the best decision I've ever made. Everyone at DigitalCrafts, from the students, staff, and instructors created the best, most optimized environment for learning. DigitalCrafts gave me access to tons of resources, from resume and portfolio guidance, mock interviews, and 480 hours of instruction, but by far the best thing they ever gave me was the empowerment to learn and try new things, things I was always too scared to try. The projects and knowledge I've learned through this bootcamp will undoubtedly allow me to bring value to any future workplace, and the relationships I've built with my fellow students will last a lifetime. I can't recommend DigitalCrafts enough, and if you're on the fence: Just do it. Take the leap. DigitalCrafts will do everything in their power to ensure your success.

• Matthew Fisher  User Photo
    Matthew Fisher • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I dropped my last job as an electrical engineer to learn full-stack web development at DigitalCrafts.  I can say that it was absolutely worth every penny.  I had Veronica as my instructor and she made coding super fun and enjoyable.  The environment is extremely conducive to learning and you will learn a LOT in 4 months.  At times it can be very stressful, so it really helps when you have an instructor that goes out of their way to help students succeed.

DigitalCrafts cares very much about imbuing their students with the tools to make it in the world of software.  If you're at all serious about getting into web development, DigitalCrafts is a no-brainer, especially for those in the Houston area.  Overall I would rate 5/5, would recommend to a friend.  Work hard and take their curriculum seriously and you will come out with a solid foundation for launching a fruitful career in web development.

• Melissa Cantu  User Photo
    Melissa Cantu • Student Verified via LinkedIn

When I decided to make a change of career to Software Developer I was a little afraid I was gonna be really lost because I had no coding experience, but after doing a little research I found Digital Crafts, which had really great reviews and everyone said the program was amazing, so I decided to do it. Today I'm so happy I found it and I'm so happy with my decision to do it because it really is one of the best experiences in my life.

The amount of things you learn in four months is crazy (good crazy). It takes a lot of commitment, work and dedication to learn everything but everyone is so helpful and always willing to help you with everything. The instructors are amazing, the program is amazing, all the digitalCrafts team are amazing and friendly, so for everyone who is thinking about going for a change and are not so sure to just go for it because you have no experience or very little experience, my advice to you is to just go for it and go with digitalCrafts, you will not regret it and personally, i'm really impressed about where I am now, and where I was four months ago.

PS: The pre-work is really helpful to not be lost the first days if you're really new to coding; and if you're not its a good practice, so do it. :)

• Keith Pittman  User Photo
    Keith Pittman • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before attending DigitalCrafts, I was learning and coding in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and not sure what step I should take to start being able to develop professional websites for startups and corporations. I found that DigitalCrafts had great reviews and decided to join and don't regret it in the slightest! Although DigitalCrafts starts off with basic fundamentals and is very beginner-friendly, most students seemed like they were at an equal skill level once we started backend technologies. For our final projects, many startups and agencies within the office building came in to pitch ideas and let us work directly with them to gain experence working with businesses/clients.

Veronica was an amazing instructor and was always able to teach complicated topics in a simple, understandable way, and the TAs were always there to help students with whatever problems we would face during our projects and homework. Veronica always made sure all of us were understanding what we were studying and made it fun. One of the TAs(James) even came to the school on a Saturday to help me and two others on issues we were facing on our projects and stayed till 8:30pm coding with us and making sure we understood the concepts we were struggling with.

I would definitely recommend DigitalCrafts for both begineers and CS majors and suggest to future students to do as much of the prework as possible so that once you're in class, you can spend more time trying to understand the more complex topics rather than struggling with the basics.

• Carlton Freeman  User Photo
    Carlton Freeman • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'll start with the good stuff:

This course is the best investment of both my time and my money that I've made in my career. If you've been teaching yourself code through tutorials and books, but are having a tough time pulling all those elements together to build projects from scratch, DigitalCrafts will get you there. You just have to be willing to put in the work.

The technologies taught here are extremely relevant in today's development landscape, and there are many high-paying roles where you can solve interesting problems with the skills you'll learn in this course. I think you also get a good survey of the differences between back-end and front-end development, so you can make an educated decision about which to specialize in. Or, you can be indecisive like me and try to be both ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The instructors were another big positive here. Lachlan and Adam are both extremely knowledgeable, and have each carved out great tech careers. Folks that are lucky enough to find a technical mentor have a huge leg-up in teaching themselves to code. Not everyone has access to a mentor, so having these two industry experts to ask questions to and learn from for 6 months was a huge part of the value of this course.

I'd also say the folks leading DigitalCrafts are very open to feedback. We saw quite a few changes made on the fly based on feedback from students, and I've already heard some great ways they're improving future cohort's courses based on our experience.

Finally, the structure of a classroom environment and a cohort of peers all learning and struggling with the material alongside you really helps. When you try to teach yourself watching YouTube tutorials and you don't understand something, there's not much you can do other than find another one or keep re-watching until you understand it. When you are in a classroom and you don't get something, it's likely there are other classmates that don't get it either. The instructors are pretty good about checking for understanding, and can find another way to explain the topic until everyone's on the same page.

The less-than-great:

We started things off with a Programming Fundamentals section, which is an excellent place to start. However, it was taught in Python, which we never used after that intro. DigitalCrafts heard our feedback loud and clear on that, and I have heard they're just going to teach this section in JavaScript (the primary language used throughout the course) for future cohorts.

I'd offer the same critique as the Python section for the jQuery sections. Though it's still useful, jQuery is pretty dated, and we replace it with React later in the course. I think teaching the DOM manipulation stuff in vanilla JavaScript would be a better use of that time, and build familiariity with the language earlier on.

I don't count this as a "negative", as it's not part of what the course sells itself as, but Computer Science fundamentals like algorithms and data structures are not covered in the course. Learning these makes you much stronger in tech interviews, so I'd recommend taking the more CS-themed electives as they become available, and spending a lot of time becoming practicing these kinds of problems on leetcode.com or codewars.com.

• Katherine Gibson  User Photo
    Katherine Gibson • Developer in Residence • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended DigitalCrafts from Feb - Aug 2018 as part of their first part-time flex cohort. I am currently working as a DIR for the program so my opinions are coming from two perspectives.

As a student: DigitalCrafts was a great choice for me as stay at home mom with no experience in coding. The initial pre-work was useful and necessary to get you started on the right foot. I would recommend the flex program to anyone who is needing to continue working or cannot dedicate 3 solid months to learning how to code. There were some rough patches at times since this was their first flex cohort, but I still feel like the quality of instruction was good. The instructors were very knowledgeable both in content and career. Keep in mind, if this is something you are considering, it will take a lot of work on your end. Instructors provide lecture and advice but if you are not willing to put in the time and effort you will not be successful. You will get out what you put in.

As a DIR: Though it hasn't been long, since becoming a DIR I have been able to watch DigitalCrafts improve. One of my highest compliments to the company is their ability and willingness to listen to feedback and adapt. They ask for feedback often and will take action on comments from their students and staff. I feel and hope that this program will only grow and improve.

• Gabriel Frontera  User Photo
    Gabriel Frontera • gfrontera@gmail.com • Graduate Verified via GitHub

After several years yearning for a career change, I decided to take the bootcamp route to formalize my interest in programming. During my research, I noted that DigitalCrafts' name and reputation stood out from the rest of Houston programs. DigitalCrafts' fully immersive class provides not only the foundation, but the blueprint for a successful career in the tech world.

Now, it is indeed a challenging 16 weeks. The curriculum packs a lot of work (projects, assignments, extra-curricular learning, etc)  in such a short time. However, the resources to succeed are there. Attentive instructors and TAs, as well as the resources from the DigitalCraft wide network of alumni and current students. In addition to the actual material covered, the staff, including the Campus Director, provide insightful and constructive job-seeking feedback, as well as thorough presentations to make sure that the students are well prepared to tackle the job market.

I could not be happier with my decision to enroll as I see myself light-years away from where I was 5 months ago.

• Ben Gamber  User Photo
    Ben Gamber • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I could not be more satisfied with the education I got with DigitalCrafts. The atmosphere and community built in the classroom create an environment that's easy to learn in and focuses on developing not just personal skills but also cooperation and team-building skills. The staff are fully dedicated to giving every student the opportunity to succeed both in the course and in careers after graduation. I came away from the course confident in my abilities and wielding the tools I need to develop my skills further.

• Francisco Duluc  User Photo
    Francisco Duluc • Software Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am very happy with DigitalCrafts. The coursework was intense (as expected), and this allowed me to really hone my Software Development skills in a professional and collaborative environment. Everyone at DigitalCrafts was very helpful, all the way from my Instructor, my TA, Career Services, the Campus Director and everyone in between. They really care about their students’ success.

As with everything valuable in life, this Coding Bootcamp takes effort, dedication, passion and commitment. My advice for incoming students would be to completely do the pre-work assignment they will give you and practice coding every day. This will allow you to hit the ground running when classes start.

Best of luck!

• Christian Lowe  User Photo
    Christian Lowe • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Attending DigitalCrafts was a really great decision for me. Before starting the bootcamp I had been self-taught for about year and half, and while I had shallow understanding of many of the topics covered in the course, the Full-Stack Immersive program really helped me dive deeply into it all. I learned a great deal over the 16 weeks that we were in the program, and I would definitely do it again. That being said, no bootcamp could be perfect, so I will split up my review between things I loved about the program, and things that could be better.

Things I loved about the program:

1. Veronica was a great instructor who would move mountains to help her students. Having the kind of enthusiasm and care from a teacher like Veronica is an invaluable way to start your programming career.

2. Career Week. Career week was a week long module within the program in which we got to: hear from speakers who are currently out working in the field, participate in mock interviews and whiteboarding to learn what we might face when applying to jobs, and learn how to make great resumes and portfolios specifically for jobs as developers. I found this week to be great and it really gave me the confidence necessary to consider myself a professional developer.

3. Group projects. I can't speak enough about how valuable the experience I gained from working on group projects was. Software Development for the most part is not really a 'lone-wolf' kind of field, so learning things like pair-programming, source-control collaboration, and good communication, is an experience without equal. Group projects also allowed us students to learn a lot from one another as each and every person brought a very unique set of skills and knowledge to the team.

4. A focus on the fundamentals. This was something that I really enjoyed about both Veronica and Paul's teaching. Rather than chasing down a million different frameworks, we learned how to write clean programs in Python and vanilla JavaScript. Frameworks come and go, but I am confident that knowing the fundamentals and core technologies of the web stack will show long term career benefits and I am really thankful Veronica applied that same belief to her teaching.

5. Friday interview challenges. Another really great aspect of the DigitalCrafts curriculum. Each Friday we would be split into pairs and would have an hour to answer as many questions as we could ranging from programming trivia and brain teasers to pretty difficult coding problems. Not only did these challenges test our problem solving skills and knowledge, but they also forced us to learn how to communicate well under a time crunch. I am very glad that this was a part of the course.

6. Business pitches. Just before our final projects we got the chance to listen to local businesses pitch us their ideas about work or projects they needed done. We then had the option of working with these businesses for two weeks to develop and ship a real product for them. This was another amazing aspect of the course and having worked for one of the local businesses, I gained a lot of experience from the project. I would 100% recommend that DigitalCrafts continue doing this for future cohorts.

Things I was not such a fan of:

1. A lack of community. I really wish DigitalCrafts had placed a greater emphasis on building community at the Houston campus. Aside from an awkward pizza party at the beginning of the course, and the occasional sharing of champagne to celebrate job offerings, there was a pretty massive lack of social-life within the bootcamp. Most days were spent listening to the lecture(s), doing the exercises, and then leaving for the day, with practically no after class activities provided that would build camaraderie. On the very last day of the course the staff did take us out for happy hour, however, it was somewhat disappointing to only get to know all the awesome personalities within our cohort and with the staff at the end of the course rather than throughout it.

2. Not enough attention applied to computer science fundamentals. To preface this point, coding bootcamps are not supposed to be replacements for computer science degrees, so I am not saying that DigitalCrafts should aim to teach what you would learn in university courses. However, CS basics do make up the foundations of programming, and learning basic concepts like what data structures are, what Big O notation is, binary, networking (TCP, HTTP, FTP), and memory management, are somewhat essential to excelling as a programmer. When the curriculum allowed, Veronica was really great at teaching these concepts and she covered them with great clarity. The lesson in which she explained the difference between "pass by reference" versus "pass by value" during our JavaScript module was a eureka moment for me. Unfortunately, these were usually very short snippets of the lesson and I feel that the concepts did not really "stick" for most of us.

3. Teaching Assistant turnover. TA's were a pretty essential aspect of the course. Veronica could not be in three places at once answering each student's questions, and having TA's available to answer questions when Veronica was unable to was really helpful. Unfortunately, these TA positions are only meant to be temporary positions for DC alumni while they go through the job search or long interview processes. This meant that there was a lot of TA turnover throughout our course, usually losing and replacing one every 2-4 weeks. I really think it would a great idea if DigitalCrafts made this a full-time position that lasted the length of a cohort so as to provide more continuity.

4. The pre-course work could be better. Having gone through the pre-work with a couple of other bootcamps such as Hack Reactor and General Assembly, I felt that the pre-work for DigitalCrafts could benefit from being a bit more methodical, rather than just being a list of somewhat random learning resources.

DigitalCrafts is a really great program, it is a lot of hard work, and at times it can be overwhelming. However, if you put in the effort, and truly enjoy programming, it is a great experience with a lot to offer.
  • Callum Byers  User Photo
    Callum Byers • Software Consultant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Digital Crafts is a 16 week full stack immersive bootcamp.  It is time consuming, but definitely worthwhile.  The covered material is interesting, and will be needed by job seekers when entering the job market.  The instructors are dedicated and knowledgable, and there are a lot of resources available to you throughout the duration of the course.

If you are looking for a career change I would definitely recommend Digital Crafts.

P.S. Don't worry if you have little coding experience!

• Jesse Weaver  User Photo
    Jesse Weaver • Software Consultant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I went into DigitalCrafts knowing close to nothing about web development, and before I had finished the course, I had accepted a job offer. As had many others in my class.

This course is not easy and will take a lot of dedication, but will pay off if you work hard. The instructors were very knowledgable and did all they could to make sure the students were successful. While at the same time they don’t hold your hand, and will teach you to work past your own technical roadblocks, which will benefit you in your career. They also offer good career support and advice to help you get a job.

Overall it was a great experience that helped me get a foot into a new career and would I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a coding bootcamp.

• Adrian Jablonski  User Photo
    Adrian Jablonski • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Having done most of the pre work to prepare for the class, I found the first part of the class very easy. Once we got to node.js, the work became very difficult for me to the point I thought I would never understand it. However, during the end of our back end project with the help of the instructor, TA's, and other students, it all finally started to make sense to me and I now really enjoy using node.

Although everything we learned in class could be self taught, I think the best part of this class and what made it worth taking is having so many people around for support when you get stuck on a problem.

DigitalCrafts has an acceptance rate of 43%, of which 71% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at DigitalCrafts, 72% graduate. 57% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $60,000.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Outcomes data includes only students who enrolled in the full-time Immersive program. See our audited Student Outcomes report, which differs slightly from Course Report's approach to organizing outcomes, for detailed reporting.

Note also that we count apprenticeships, internships and contract roles as a single pool. We do not have data regarding freelance employment.