CodingNomads offers 10-week, full-time Java and Python bootcamps in travel destinations like Bali, as well as online self-paced coding bootcamps. CodingNomads helps students learn critical tech skills like Java, Python, Spring, SQL, Django, AWS, data science, and more. The full-time bootcamps are a combination of onsite and online portions to make them affordable for students around the world. CodingNomads' online programs teach Java and Python fundamentals, as well as foundations in SQL, databases and APIs. Online programs are either self-paced with lifetime access to course material, or students can sign up for mentor support on a monthly or 3-month basis. Students will learn from experts, gain the tools to work from anywhere and create meaningful life memories with their cohorts.
To attend an onsite travel course, students must first complete CodingNomads' online course as a prerequisite and pass a technical interview to ensure they are ready for the course. CodingNomads is aimed at students with all backgrounds.
By hosting international coding bootcamps at coworking spaces in different countries, CodingNomads enables students to invest in their careers while exploring the world. CodingNomads can assist students with affordable accommodation, airport pickups, and transportation needs in destination countries.
Recent CodingNomads Reviews: Rating 4.95
Recent CodingNomads News
- Software Engineering Job Descriptions: Reading Between the Lines
- How to Find a Remote Job After a Coding Bootcamp
- June 2017 Coding Bootcamp News Roundup + Podcast
In PersonFull Time50 Hours/week18 Weeks
Deposit $1000 FinancingLeif Income Share Agreements available to US citizens. Pay 50% during the course, and the rest after you get a job. Tuition Plans Installments over 3-5 months. Scholarship Scholarships available to women, military, local Indonesians and more. See http://codingnomads.co/scholarships
Minimum Skill Level No experience is required, however the online prep work must be completed before being accepted into our onsite programs to ensure students are ready for the technical challenge of our courses. Prep Work 8+ week prep course included in cost (20+ hours/week). Get started as soon as you enroll for more time to get ahead! Placement Test No Interview Yes Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $99 Class size N/A Location OnlineNeed to learn Java online for your job, university, or considering a career change into software engineering? CodingNomads’ online Java + SQL course will turn you into a capable coder using the most widely-used programming language on earth. Our curriculum was built by industry professionals based on real-world engineering tasks that are required for today's jobs. Despite the demand for Java, only 9% of coding bootcamps teach it, and universities fail to teach practical day-to-day skills. We're proud to help students learn Java online at an affordable price, making learning to code fun and exciting for our students! Our online courses are entirely self-paced with pre-recorded video demonstrations, lab exercises and documentation that you can complete on your own time. Students can either purchase the content alone, or enroll in 1:1 mentorship to move through the course efficiently with dedicated support. We take mentorship very seriously, as we know that this can be the defining factor of your success. Our mentorship team is what sets CodingNomads apart, as we're a small company with mentors who get to know you personally, and care about your progress. --By the end of this course you’ll be able to-- - Read and write complex Java applications - Whiz around the command line interface (CLI) - Manage your projects in Git & GitHub with ease - Model, build and maintain relational databases - Query databases using SQL - Think like a developer with confidence - Learn other languages/techs much easier Start learning Java online for free on our online learning platform: https://platform.codingnomads.co.
Deposit N/A FinancingLeif Income Share Agreement available for US citizens. Pay 50% upfront and the rest after you get a job. Tuition Plans Start for free at https://platform.codingnomads.co Scholarship 10% off for women, military and "live the dream"
Minimum Skill Level No experience is required. This course is ideal for absolute beginners or those new to Java programming. Placement Test No Interview No Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $99 Class size N/A Location OnlineWant to learn Python to build your own applications, become a software engineer, or get into data science? CodingNomads’ online Python + SQL + APIs course will teach you to build fully functional web applications using the fastest-growing and most popular programming language. Despite the demand for Python, only 9% of coding bootcamps teach it. We're proud to offer high quality education for Python web development. We make learning to code fun and productive with project-based curriculum, and a team of mentors who care about your success. Our online Python bootcamp consists of 500+ pages of documentation and tutorials, 300+ code samples and lab exercises, 170+ video tutorials and demos, plus access to our members-only forum for posting questions, searching for answers, and connecting with our community. Our online courses are entirely self-paced with pre-recorded video demonstrations, lab exercises and documentation that you can complete on your own time. Students can either purchase the content alone, or enroll in 1:1 mentorship to move through the course efficiently with dedicated support. We take mentorship very seriously, as we know that this can be the defining factor of your success. Our mentorship team is what sets CodingNomads apart, as we're a small company with mentors who get to know you personally, and care about your progress. --By the end of this course you’ll be able to-- - Read and write complex Python algorithms & applications that consume, analyze and store data using APIs and SQL - Whiz around the command line interface (CLI) - Model, build and maintain relational databases - Manage your projects in Git & GitHub with ease - Automate repetitive tasks, and optimize workflows - Think like a developer with confidence --Course Pricing Options-- Free: Get started learning for free on our online learning platform. Content + Forum: Purchase lifetime access to our course content and members-only forum with a one-time payment. Ideal for students who prefer self-paced learning with no time commitments. Dedicated Mentor Support: Get unlimited mentor support through 1:1 video calls, Slack and forum. Ideal for students who want to learn quickly and efficiently. See website for pricing on 1 month, 2 month and 3 month mentor support options. Onsite Discounts: If you sign up to continue learning at one of our traveling coding bootcamps, we’ll give you a discount on tuition.
Deposit N/A FinancingLeif Income Share Agreement available for US citizens. Pay 50% upfront and the rest after you get a job. Tuition Plans Start for free at https://platform.codingnomads.co Scholarship 10% off for women, military and "live the dream"
Minimum Skill Level This course starts from scratch and is fit for absolute beginners to programming, and/or coders who are new to Python. Placement Test No Interview No
- MySQL, HTML, Git, CSS, Data Structures, Algorithms, SQL, Python
In PersonFull Time50 Hours/week15 Weeks
Deposit $1500 FinancingLeif Income Share Agreement for US citizens Tuition Plans Installments over 3-5 months. Scholarship Scholarships available to women, military, locals, and more. See http://codingnomads.co/scholarships
Minimum Skill Level No experience is required, however the online prep work must be completed before arriving onsite to ensure students are ready for the technical challenge of our courses. Prep Work 8 weeks (100-160 hours) of online prep work as a part of the program. Placement Test No Interview Yes
More Start DatesMay 4, 2020 - Bali Apply by March 20, 2020
37 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
- A once-in-a-lifetime experience!- 2/29/2020Aaron Bigelow • Graduate • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Intensive Bootcamp • Campus: Koh Tao • Verified via LinkedInI had an amazing experience as part of a small cohort in Thailand in 2017. The Java course was challenging, at times confusing, and meandered at a few points, but, Ryan was always there to guide me through the learning process and always made himself available if I needed extra help on certain parts of the course. Ryan is a great coach and mentor. This experience was so much more than just a coding boot camp, however. Living on a small island and experiencing a new culture was awesome. My classmates were fantastic and we had a great time together in class as well as adventuring, dancing, hiking, and so many more fun things! The experience was not without some mishaps and blunders, but both Ryan and Kim were amazingly supportive throughout our time together. I learned a lot about coding, but I also learned a lot about myself and can't recommend this experience to other people enough!
- Get dragging out of your comfort zone learning in the most comfortable experience and place on earth- 1/26/2020Firas Abdulhasain • Graduate • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Bali • Verified via LinkedIn
Get dragging out of your comfort zone learning in the most comfortable experience and place on earth!
CodingNomads provided a thoroughly immersing experience into the world of coding. For someone like me who was not familiar with anything beyond a 'windows pc fixing' level of IT, it meant going through a steep learning curve. The learning provided an understanding of the fundamental concepts of coding, hands-on practice in the very structured online course with personal remote mentor as a starting point.
My personal reflection on the full experience is that the more time and energy you spend on the online course, the faster you follow the fastpaced exciting tasks during the on-site boot camp. Taking a good 6 to 8 weeks for the online part will get you places with Python and SQL.
Once the on-site boot camp starts, the excitement of the owners, organisation, teachers, and fellow students reaches boiling point. In warm Bali with an incredibly warm-hearted CodingNomads team, no time is needed to break ice nor bread. It is incredible how good of a connection is made with the other students, who in a majority are very likeminded and have similar aspiration for joining this boot camp.
With tropical temperatures outside, you will be spending most of the weekdays in a cool classroom with heated discussions, inspiring lectures and many practical assignments. Assignments that take shape as you progress into the boot camp. The build-up starts with simulating simple tasks that demonstrate the basic principles of Python, before moving into building code for your very own web apps. Approximately a full week is spent on web app development to go through conceptualising, building, testing, refining and going through the rabbit hole of bugs and errors that is inevitable during coding. Depending on popular demand, other subjects are discussed as well. Our cohort was interested learning about Python for Data Analysis and machine learning algorithms, which were catered for in a few days of the boot camp. After the on-site part of the course, you are left with a month of intense support in your own 'capstone project'. That's personal support from your teacher and mentors on your own coding project. A time where, based on your interests and aspired app, you are able to put all the elements of the boot camp together to design, build and launch your own web application.
Outside class, expect a lot of fun times - if you take the leap of faith to opt-in - exploring all the best food places, bars, clubs, waterfalls, trips and pools. The more fun you bring in, the more fun you get out of it.
I strongly recommend the CodingNomads Python Fullstack web development boot camp. It provided me with a thorough understanding of coding and IT principle, Python as a new (coding) language to me, and a new group of friends from across the world.
Ironically, I am writing this quite positive review after 'complaining' myself to the CodingNomads team that I could only find very positive reviews before signing up. Ofcourse, nothing in life is perfect, that includes this boot camp. Yet, having the right mindset and agility compensates for a lot of improvement points. The CodingNomads team has been very receptive to on-the-spot feedback by us on wanting or needing more time for certain topics, certain assignments, or certain topics of interest related to Python. This agility of the CodingNomads team makes any of their boot camps a great choice for anyone who is intrinsically motivated to start learning to code, as long as you put in your heart, mind and soul into learning and having fun along the way.
What are you waiting for? Jump in the CodingNomads adventure while you can!
A very happy CodingNomads graduate.
- Simon blackburn • Strategy Consultant • Graduate • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Bali • Verified via LinkedIn
I attended the Python bootcamp in Bali in fall 2019. Having never coded in my life I was nervous about signing up to a bootcamp, having no idea what to expect, and no idea whether I'd take to the coding world. The course was split into 3 sections: an online course to get up to speed, a classroom element where we were taught and challenged by an amazing instructor, and finally a project with Skype support. This setup suited me well as I was keen to travel but also keen to code, and I was able to do both at the same time!
Right from the off I felt like I could go to the CodingNomads guys for anything. My tutor during the online course phase spent as much time as it needed for me to understand a concept. The classroom phase felt more like an ecosystem than a bootcamp. Multiple ways in which the tutors supported us. We had an incredible teacher who broke very complex problems down in ways we could all understand. The owners were always on hand to lend support, encouragement, and even ran yoga sessions after class! Finally one of the advantages of attending such a course is the people you meet; they all became another invaluable source of support, particularly on the intensive days when we covered a LOT of ground and solving problems together was very much needed!
We covered a lot of topics during the course: web apps, data structures, machine learning, data science etc. The course would therefore be suitable to someone looking for this wide base of knowledge.
I'd recommend this course for anyone looking to learn a language in a fun but intensive way. However I'd also caution to make sure you invest the time up front, in really doing the online course justice. I signed up late (my fault), and was occasionally distracted by travelling fun. One week into the classroom course I realised I would have gotten even more from it if I had spent more time coding before arriving in Bali. I invested a total of 105 hours in the online prep, I'd recommend doing more than this!
Thanks to everyone at CodingNomads and my fellow students for an incredible experience
- Python Fun In The Sun!- 1/20/2020Robert Meredith • Graduate • Campus: Bali • Verified via LinkedIn
I was looking for a Python bootcamp and had some specific criteria. I wanted Python only. I also wanted a mix of online and onsite due to family commitments and having failed to get far with online only courses before. This combination proved nearly impossible until I spotted the Coding Nomads Bali bootcamp.
I had a great experience. The pre onsite course with weekly mentoring sessions worked really well to get me to a reasonable level before the onsite. I then travelled to Bali and had a great month at the onsite. The instructor was fantastic. The venue was fantastic. And the travel experience was an added bonus. The pace of the onsite was pretty frenetic. It’s definitely not an easy option. It was extremely hard work!
Once I had returned to the UK I worked on a project which consolidated my knowledge and can definitely say that the whole experience exceeded my expectations. Though Coding Nomads is a small business the organisation is excellent and I would thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone looking for this combination of teaching styles.
- Amazing Experience- 7/26/2019alp • Graduate • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Bootcamp in Bali • Campus: Bali • Verified via LinkedIn
Java technologies are such a wide environment that you can easily get lost by yourself. It is impossible to master at Java, Spring, AWS in 16 weeks. But Codingnomads has a great curriculum that gives you the essential technical skill to develop and deploy a Java project. Most valuable is you will have the ability to learn and master any technology you want BY YOURSELF!
Instead of drowning by long lectures we were coding all day long with the support of instructor Roi. Instead of giving all the information, he made us to find and use the information which is the most important skill for coding.
Course location is another great advantage for learning coding. We had our lectures in Ubud/Bali which is heaven in the earth. It is safe, cheap, has a good vibe and easy life. Coworking space selection is perfect. Combination of these factors provides you such an amazing environment and motivates you very well. In my experience, I have never felt exhausted from working for long hours. I can easily say that the environment of the Ubud/Bali and Outpost coworking space gave me that motivation.
I always feel that i am a friend of The Codingnomads team instead of their customer. They have the mentality that want to become a network that both helping people about coding and finding a job. Kim & Ryan put their effort to motivate people for job searching and meet their students with job recruiters they know.
Please note that nobody can guarantee you to learn coding and find a job unless you put effort. If you have the motivation to work hard I can easily recommend you to join Codingnomads.
- Excellent- 5/28/2019Daniel • Graduate • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Bali • Verified via GitHub
I quit my job in February to get involved in the Python Bootcamp in Bali and it was an amazing experience !
I tried to learn coding on my own before. It was kind of overwhelming to know which direction to follow by myself and felt like a really lonely activity.
Joining the bootcamp kept me motivated thanks to excellent teachers and a great student atmosphere.
I learned a great deal, from Python, to the Django framework, to deployment on AWS.
It gave me a strong coding basis and I now feel confident that I can learn more on my own and execute ideas by myself.
It’s also great for getting a sense of the many things that are possible to do in Python (web scrapping, data analysis, machine learning…) and exploring them.
Ryan and Kim, the founders, are super helpful from getting you onboard to guiding you all the way to finding a job after the camp. Plus they are amazing human beings with a great life story :)
The teachers Martin and Caden are very supportive and dedicated to your success. If you put in the amount of work they will put in extra effort to help you on whatever project or field you want to explore, on top of the common course. They made this camp enjoyable and productive and I cannot thank them enough for this.
Finally, my co students were inspiring and a pleasure to work with. I made strong friendships and going trough the course with them was key to stay motivated and share knowledge.
The cherry on the top here is Bali. This island is magical and exploring it after each week of hard work is an absolute delight.
It gives you wonderful break times before going back to coding, and being even more productive.
All in all, I think it is clear that I strongly recommend Coding Nomads for anyone who wants to start learning Python Programming and explore a whole new world of possibilities !
- An Amazing Experience!- 3/20/2019Andrea • software engineer • Student • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Intensive Bootcamp • Campus: Playa del Carmen • Verified via GitHub
This bootcamp was an amazing experience! Ryan and Kim helped with everything (interviewing and negotiating jobs at the end of the bootcamp in particular). My class was small and I basically had one-on-one time with our amazing teacher or TA whenever I needed it. My class was the first one that Roi taught but he took to it really well. It was evident that he really really cared about how much we learned and enjoyed teaching us. At the end of the in-class portion I had created a great project for my resume (with tons of help from Roi and Trevor). Then we built a second project as a group during the at-home portion of the course. Large projects like these were very helpful when it came to job hunting later on. Getting out of my daily routine by traveling to a different country helped me focus on learning. The added bonus of scuba-diving and other tropical adventures made the overall experience so much better than I could have imagined!
It took about 2 months of hard work after the bootcamp was over before I got a full-time job as a software engineer but Ryan was there every step of the way. His advice and help were irreplaceable. Every time I sent a message to Ryan or Roi they responded immediately and were beyond helpful. I hands down recommend CodingNomads for anyone wanting to land their first software job and have an incredible time doing it!
- Exceeded expectations!!- 11/27/2018Laura • Data Scientist • Graduate • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Barcelona • Verified via LinkedIn
I just finished the Python Bootcamp in Barcelona and highly recommend Coding Nomads. As an experienced data analyst, I figured Python was a good next step towards data science (plus I wanted to travel!) - now I feel confident this was the right step for me!
Our instructors, Martin and Caden, were not only knowledgeable but so supportive, they were willing to adjust based on each of our needs and I truly felt that they cared for our success. I see them more as mentors now, which is awesome to have this relationship. The group was also very inspiring to me - most of us coming from different paths but determined to learn Python. We had a lot of fun together on our weekend outings, developed a "team" feeling and I have learned something from every person!
I just wish I could do it all over again with their next course - Python & Java side-by-side training sounds like best of both worlds!
- Incredible course, experience, people!- 11/7/2018Patrick Vargos • Graduate • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Barcelona • Verified via GitHub
When taking prep courses for a few other bootcamps in Chicago, I felt that I was just another number in the system. I’ve always had a passion for travel, and this led me to search for bootcamps abroad. After finding codingNomads, I reached out for more information and was immediately put in contact with Kim and Ryan, who were more than helpful! They were extremely flexible with setting up times to talk about the course, and answered any questions I had. This was a common theme once I was enrolled as well. CodingNomads personalized support is unmatched!
I decided to join the program, and packed my bags for Barcelona. I was greeted the first night by our instructors, Caden and Martin, and they could not have been more hospitable.They set up a welcome dinner for the entire class, which was a great way to start the course. Even more impressive than how incredibly nice both of them were, was how knowledgeable they were. The course was fast paced and can be rigorous at times, but they were there everyday to make sure no one was left behind. It was by no means easy, but with their help it was more than doable. I would never have imagined learning as much as I did while enrolled in this course.
Lastly, the people (both students and instructors) in the course were a blessing I never anticipated. I went there to learn to code, which I did, but during that time I also gained a group of friends that I plan on staying in contact with forever. We hiked the coast of Northern Spain, ate tapas on Friday nights after class, even enrolled in exercise classes together. Now everyone in our course is back at home(U.S., Denmark, Saudi Arabia, just to name a few), but we still have weekly video calls to help one another out with code, or sometimes just for friendly checkins.
- Incredible life and learning experience- 10/17/2018Rasmus Groth • Founder • Graduate • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Barcelona • Verified via LinkedIn
I decided to go with CodingNomads after thoroughly researching coding boot-camps for the best Python options in terms of curriculum, timing, quality of the facilities, teachers and support staff. Kim was beyond professional and also let a dedication and devotion to her team shine through.
Once I was signed up, Kim and Ryans team, Caden and Martin came on stage.
It was clear from the start that Caden was going to drive us to success with his friendly yet ambitious coaching and leadership from the day I signed up and that Martin with his enthusiastic and optimistic style and incredible skill had put incredible effort into the course material which was well structured, friendly, upbeat and super-useful on all levels.
Caden and Martin are both natural educators and did an incredible job of getting us from n00bs to actual Python developers the six weeks - but they also drove the flock in a way that made us come together as a team and friends. Their enthusiasm for nature-outings on the weekends, outings into the Barcelona nightlife, Crossfit and many other little supportive efforts made us feel like we were all star players in the NHL getting special treatment. Kim helped find an wonderful apartment for myself and two other guys seven minutes walking distance from the fantastic Betahaus co-working space. The apartment turned out to be a great place for informal late-night hackathons, card-games and class gatherings.
This is the third last day of the course and I am left in awe of the fact that I am actually now capable of building the complex trading platform I have set out to do. Not only that, but I have a bunch of new friends that you would normally only get after spending years together in college.
I can't wait for my next CodingNomads trip!
- Amazing class, classmates and location!- 9/25/2018Ashley • Graduate • Course: Java + Spring + SQL + AWS Bootcamp in Tahoe-Reno • Campus: Reno • Verified via GitHub
Tahoe local here!
I can't say enough good things about this course, friendships made and awesome adventures.
I originally signed up for the class since it was the only one in my area and I'm so glad I did! From meeting class mates from all over the world to a fun class environment; it was absolutely perfect. Even during a few weeks of online work before our physical class began there was always someone online and available to answer questions or get past a sticky spot (and I'm talking 11:30 at night available).
Ryan is a fantastic teacher and can explain even the most difficult concepts into basic understanding (I'm looking at you, "Big O"). The overall flow of the course was perfect; from starting online for a few weeks, the physical class for 2 months (June/July) and online again for August to work on our final project. It was also a perfect balance of learning new concepts in the morning, break for lunch and then most afternoons were spent doing challenges or projects based on what we learned. The class size was also great for collaborating together and getting experience of working with a team and also the ability to work solo. The class itself moved at a very fast pace, but Ryan always made sure everyone was on the same page before moving on to new topics. The class also had a great sense of camaraderie and was more than willing to help one another out if in a pinch (this coming from a relatively shy girl, too!).
Long review short; SIGN UP! JUST DO IT! It'll be the best few months of your life!
I only regret not doing one of these classes remotely; which, I can't wait to sign up for another class again and continue learning, all while seeing other cool places around the world.
- Heather • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Bootcamp in Bali • Campus: Bali • Verified via GitHub
Exotic location & incredible value are two definite pluses for Coding Nomads, but my main reason for choosing them was because I wanted a more technical, comp sci style of coding bootcamp. Having Java as the main language was a huge part of that, but also focusing on the backend and learning about AWS, databases, and SQL too. It delivered on all fronts, and I received a job offer as a graduate Java software engineer only 2 weeks after graduating!
Now, if you apply to Coding Nomads, I can't guarantee the same results, but I can ensure you that you'll receive a wide breadth of knowledge for your programming language, a solid foundation in computer science fundamentals, and, most importantly, the skills to figure out whatever you don't know how to do. The instructors are knowledgable, experienced, and genuinely care about both your education and the quality of your overall experience!
As a a smaller organization they don't have all of the same structured job support/partnerships as the big bootcamps. But they more than make up for that with personalized support with mock interviews, resume reviews, practicing your elevator pitch, and being available every step of the way through your job hunt.
For any bootcamp, you'll get out of it what you put into it. Make sure you put in the time during the online prep work, ask a lot of questions, and do all of the practice assignments. If you do this, Coding Nomads will make sure you leave with tons of knowledge, amazing friends, and unforgettable travel experiences. Can't recommend them highly enough!
- An amazing experience!- 7/2/2018Ivan • Graduate • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Bootcamp in Bali • Campus: Bali • Verified via GitHub
I joined the Bali Bootcamp of 2018 and it was an incredible experience.
The Coding Nomads crew really knows how to run a coding bootcamp in one of the most beautiful places on Earth.
The learning experience was really good, covering a great amount of topics and giving us all the tools to move forward on our Software Developing careers.
The speed of the course was fitted to the group and the teachers always made an effort to make sure none got left behind.
After finishing the bootcamp, the Coding Nomads team has been in constant contact with me, pushing me to keep coding, helping me build my resume and find job opportunities
Beyond the pure academical experience, joining Coding Nomads Bootcamp in Bali was one of the most amazing experiences of my life; by the end of the course both the teachers and my fellow campmates became my friends and when we were not coding, we had the incredible expericiences enjoying all the fun that a place like Bali can offer.
Work Hard, Play hard and Push it to the limit!
- A great experience- 1/6/2018Thomas Leruth • Student • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Intensive Bootcamp • Campus: Playa del Carmen • Verified via GitHub
CodingNomads is definitely a great experience. They take you to spot which is remote but at the same time very enjoayble to live at. This combo gives you the opportunity to switch off from your old routine and focus fully on learning. At the same time, the enviroment is amazing (I was in Playa del Carmen, MXN) which allows you to live pretty much stress-free. Ryan, the lead teacher, is highly experienced and good at spreading his knowleadge in a nice fashion. On her side, Kim, takes care of the details around the course which allows you to once again focus on learning.
Overall, I would gladly re-do this course. it was fun, I learned a lot, and it did not ruin my bank account. What more to ask?
- Playa del Carmen CodingNomads 2017- 1/1/2018Jialor Cheung • Software Engineer (in training) • Student • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Intensive Bootcamp • Campus: Playa del Carmen • Verified via LinkedIn
The CodingNomads bootcamp is one of the most unique and rewarding experiences in my life. Traveling to a foreign country and meeting new people from around the world with the common purpose of learning to code creates a common atmosphere that allows friendships to form over the struggle of learning to code. Before the bootcamp I was in the process of transitioning from one career to becoming a software engineer and the transition has been rough studying alone. The distractions of daily life or fatigue from being at work 8-10 hours a day can impede the ability to truly focus on coding. Struggling on your own learning to code can also leave a negative and overwhelming feeling. There were aspects of this bootcamp that I enjoyed as well as other aspects that I thought could be improved that I will discuss below.
Overall the experience was definitely rewarding. Kim and Ryan are two wonderful people who have the students interest always in mind. Their support in helping students can vary and is not limited to reassuring students that the overwhelming feeling of learning something new and vast will pass or you will get used to it, motivating students to push as much as they can when they can, spending extra time outside of class to help students who seek additional help, or even planning relaxing activities in the foreign country to help destress students at the end of the week and also not miss out on opportunities available in the country. I feel I learned a lot and am more prepared and motivated to move forward in the next step to becoming a software engineer.
A few things to note in my opinion:
- This is a bootcamp that is directed towards anyone who wants to learn but has no background knowledge of coding.
- The required preparation work before the bootcamp starts is important and will affect how well someone will progress through the course.
- It is not intended to land you a six figure salary after graduation.
- It still requires time and hardwork to be put in even after class and sometimes on the weekend depending on the situation.
- Keep your priorities straight. Be prepared to work hard so you can play hard and enjoy the country of your bootcamp on your off days.
- The more you put into studying and doing the assignments the more you will get out of the bootcamp.
- Sleep is sometimes more important than finishing the assignment because it will affect how much you will absorb the next day's information.
Aspects that I thought this bootcamp excelled in:
- Ryan, the instructor, is truly devoted to making sure everyone learns and is never stagnant. He will spend the time to make sure everyone understands the material before moving forward. If you are ahead he will have different assignments ready to keep you pushing forward in learning.
- The course material is not set it stone. If the class learns better with powerpoint presentations vs oral lectures vs a combination of both, the instructor will adjust the material to suit the class's need. If material in Java fundamentals is not as relevant due to the constant evolution of coding, it is noted by the instructor and relayed to the students.
- The curriculum being covered in class is relevant to skills required for current day job opportunities. Best practices in the industry are taught in class by the instructor based on his extensive experience in the industry prior to teaching.
- Being in the presence of other students who are learning/struggling just like myself promoted a camaraderie that extended past the classroom. Study sessions with other students outside of class or even relaxing together during downtime made the struggles of learning to code enjoyable and less alone. Everyone is feeling similar stresses, worries, struggles, etc. throughout the course.
- Studying abroad in a remote country helped remove day to day distractions and worries that would otherwise preoccupy a student's mind (speaking from my personal experience). This allows a student to really be focused on coding during the week and if needed weekends. Otherwise offdays provided an opportunity to experience the country and make amazing memories and life experiences. As noted above, make sure to keep your priorities straight when needed.
- Pricing of this bootcamp is a major plus that may affect which bootcamp future students will choose. The pricing of this bootcamp compared to others is roughly half if not less than half the price of other bootcamps. This is huge with regards to having the opportunity to join a bootcamp. Living in Mexico for this specific bootcamp reduced the cost of expenses even further during the stay of the onsite bootcamp which helped relieve monetary stresses. To me the price of this bootcamp also showed that the interest of this bootcamp was not about making money but about teaching potential future software engineers. This is just my opinion.
- The small class size allowed more one on one time with the instructor or TA if needed.
- Availability of the instructor extends past class hours. If I had questions I could message him at any time (within reason) and receive a response within minutes. If additional tutoring or studying sessions were needed he would make those available to us on the weekend. This availability is also offered beyond the scope of the bootcamp session.
- Job preparation and advice at the end of the onsite bootcamp was useful and informative. Assistance with these aspects extended beyond the onsite bootcamp timeframe as well as the offer of assistance past the entire bootcamp timeframe.
- The instructor is always open to suggestions on how to improve the course for future bootcamps. Constructive criticism is not shunned and solutions for improvement were welcomed. The comments for the selection below was voiced personally outside of class as constructive feedback for improvements for future bootcamps.
Aspects that I thought could be improved:
- A stricter enforcement towards class preparations before the beginning of the bootcamp. Our specific bootcamp spent a bit more time on Java basics to ensure everyone was on the same page but this caused other aspects of our learning to have less coverage towards the end of the bootcamp.
- Overlapping time coverage of the instructor, Ryan, and our TA, Caden, could have been separated out by a few hours. This would allow more one on one time exposure or in person interaction for students to take advantage of outside of lecture.
- One of the best decisions I've ever made!- 9/28/2017Daniel Kapitanov • Graduate • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Intensive Bootcamp • Campus: Koh Tao • Verified via LinkedIn
Choosing to attend CodingNomads' course in Koh Tao, Thailand was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It wasn't an easy decision to make, but it paid off completely! The teachers - Ryan and Kim are one of the most lovely people you'll ever meet and are always willing to go the extra mile for you and provide you with help and assistance for anything you might need. They make sure you have a great time not only in the classroom but also outside! Overall, the price to value ratio was amazing and the whole group learned an unbelievable amount of skills over the course of the 3 months. I was concerned that the environment might make it harder to study and concentrate, but it was actually the other way around, as the calm, sunny and beautiful atmosphere filled us with energy and helped us to work with motivation throughout the whole day. I definitely recommend!
- Couldn't be happier- 1/31/2020Simon Kim • Software Engineer • Course: Learn Java Online • Campus: OnlineI'm a full time professional who needed an in-depth course to understand and learn Java. I've searched lots of online learning courses but I decided to choose CodingNomads and I can't be happier. I loved their learning platform which is top of the class and their willingness to revise it based on students feedback. I've learned basic concept of Java and how to apply it in real world. I'd recommend this course for not only the working professional but also for all students who are looking to start a new career in software engineering.
- Fantastic course- 9/26/2019Michael Stresing • Student • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Bali
Would highly recommend CodingNomads. As someone with no technical background, the focus on not only the programming concepts/languages themselves but also the framework of how to learn and grow was immensely helpful. Also, I found my personal mentor to be highly informative, interesting, and certainly made the course experience.
The private forum and slack also is a great source of inspiration and valuable for starting the journey.
- Wonderfull experience of coding- 7/29/2019Kaushik Pal • Graduate • Course: Learn Python Online • Campus: Online
I started my python online bootcamp with CodingNomads around the start of the year and i found the delivery mechanism very nice and lucid. Also the course content is really thoughful, touches the length and breadth of various topics. I have a amazing online mentor as Ras and had good and prompt offline support from Martin and rest of the crew.
Labs and projects( i am yet to finish) are challenging and make you think. Overall the program is above my expectation. Hopefully one day i can attend the onsite training as well.
I wish the whole team good luck for the future.
- A perfect step in my professional IT career- 7/22/2019Arno • Product Manager • Graduate • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Bali
This full-stack web development course was truly a great step for my professional career. And one of the best personal experiences! As a product manager I tried to pick up coding in the evening hours, however my demanding job didn't allow me to properly focus. I can recommend the CodingNomads course as it truly allows you to focus. Being pulled from your normal life is a huge contributor and truly makes the experience. The tutors Martin and Caden where amazing and dedicated their time completely, being fully dedicated to our development. If a student was behind on a topic, they would go out of their way to get them on track through one-on-one support.
The knowledge I gained during the course today helped me to move into a Product Owner role. It allows me to dive one level deeper into roadmap and refinement discussions working with the architects and team. Basically you’ll learn the general Python, SQL, AWS skills to be able to continue your learning yourself. Today it helps me to figure out e.g. developments in the FHIR domain.
As with every course, the more you invest the more you get out. If you do put in the effort, the support from the tutors is truly motivating and the content is pretty exciting.
Well-deserved 5-star rating!
- Student- 7/10/2019Blane Staskiewicz • Penn State Student • Student
Took the Online Python 3 course. The course really gets you familiar with python and what the language has to offer as well as APIs and Databases and projects to help build up your github, that I never learned in college. If you need to get the course complete for 500 in 4 weeks, it's doable. I'm a broke college student so I found this course at a low rate and after completeing it, it's really worth the money. Remote, user friendly course with a nearly 24/7 community of mentors and staff. A personal mentor that helps guild you through weekly calls and free to talk through Slack. Connection to Slack channels and the Forum, for questions, code reviews, interview help/practice questions and irl stuff like free tickets to RISE conference in Hong Kong this past summer. In the end worked with Twitter to filter tweets and make my own personal twitter bot. Overall worth the money and time, and now I will always be apart of a community of programmers. Shout out to Johnny, best mentor I ever had!
- A whole lot of fun!- 5/19/2019Robert • Graduate • Course: Python Fullstack web development • Campus: Bali
A big fat pro for this bootcamp is the location.
Obviously, learning how to code in a paradise like Bali is pretty cool. But additional to that, for me being out of my daily environment really helped me stay focused. Since I was so far away from my colleagues, friends and family (Netherlands) and we lived in different time-zones, I didn't get any distraction other then what I consciously chose. For me that meant long productive days during the week. The weekends I went out to explore the Island, which obviously is a good way of relaxing and getting energized again for the next, productive, week.
Another big fat pro are the instructors.
Martin and Caden are awesome. They will give you everything they have, with all their energy. Where needed they will adjust the program to your needs and supply you with additional materials. They know a lot! And when your interests take you places they don't know, they will explore it with you. Also besides class, we had a lot of fun. Having dinners or drinks together, exploring the area or playing some card games. They were always up for something. Also Roy, the instructor of the Java course should be mentioned here. Three awesome guys.
The organization and contact with Kim and Ryan also went smoothly. They set the right expectations, help you get settled in and are very much open for feedback. They will do anything in their power to make this the best possible experience for you. Thanks!
Ryan and Kim will also give you job support. I didn't need it, since I was already employed while during the course, but of what I saw was I would say it is worth 5 stars. They will give you very practical advice like how to set up your resume, but will also practice 1-on-1 or whiteboard interviews. Good stuff!
If you are looking for a course where you will master all the general Python skills and get a good general understanding of Web-development, look no further. After the course you are able to build pretty neat web-applications and throw them on the internet, accessible to anyone.
Just one small disclaimer: you are going to get just as much out of this bootcamp as you are willing to put in it. The work will not happen by itself, and they will not come and drag you to class. That, obviously, is your responsibility! :)
- Great Experience- 4/18/2019Bryce Lindley • Student • Course: Learn Java Online • Campus: Online
In 2018, I came from Udacity as an entrance into programming with a scholarship I had received for Android Basics Development. I was excited that I graduated and it felt great, but I also knew I had much more to learn. My desires for learning more were unquenched, I felt like Udacity wanted to push you out the door once you graduate with your nanodegree(which is both good and bad). What I desired was the ability to use a skillset that I mastered not because I followed a bunch of handholding exercises. I wanted to learn more about Java and I know mentorship is paramount for retaining all this stuff. I spoke with Ryan and told him my experience and he told me what to expect from the coursework, etc..
He is not only very friendly but helpful and reliable as he has a vast experience(16 years if I remember correctly) in Java. Do you need help in: Git, GitHub, Linux, Job support, anything Java he can help you. If you're feeling stressed and your brain has Ka-Bloomed! he offers moral support. CodingNomads only strengthened my understanding of more than I could ever do on my own. Ryan has been very helpful with learning Java and everything you need to know in between. Besides Java, you will learn how to use the command line which employers will expect of you. Retaining information is three times more easy when you have a mentor, and if you're serious about coding or just want to get started, I would highly suggest reaching out to Ryan to be your mentor.
- Great Program- 4/1/2019Denzel Archie • Student • Course: Learn Python Online • Campus: Online
- A Great Learning Experience- 2/12/2019Andy Mitchell • Graduate • Course: Java + SQL + AWS Intensive Bootcamp • Campus: Playa del Carmen
I attended the 2018 Java bootcamp in Playa del Carmen, Mexico which included 4 weeks remote work preparation, 8 weeks on site in Mexico and a following 4 weeks remote work on the final project. I had a great time on the course! Playa del Carmen had a very relaxed vibe and it was easy to walk everywhere which was great! I thought the teaching was great and Roi was happy to explain anything we had questions about throughout the course.
I found being away from home and learning remotely really made me motivated and focused on learning which is something I had struggled with when trying to learn independently. Roi had had experience in the software industry and could answer questions and provide advice on good practise used in the industry which is unlikely to be something I would have learned on my own. Roi was also keen to set us extra challenges and teach us things outside of the current curriculum when it was clear we understood the curriculum well, this led to us creating our own Android apps which was great fun and something I had always wanted to play around with.
I found the experience of working at the the coworking space really enjoyable, we met lots of new people with interesting backgrounds and stories which is something I wasn't expecting! The facilities were great there and the coworking space often had events we joined to meet other digital nomads.
I found the work/play balance was much better than I expected, I was expecting to just stay in the same city for the whole 8 weeks but we managed to arrange a trip to Mexico City to see some of the Day of the Dead celebrations as well as trips to Tulum and Merida to see the cities and visit some Mayan ruins which were amazing! Playa has lots of things to do and see nearby and I expect I will go back there in the future to see some of the sights I missed!
Overall, I would recommend CodingNomads to anyone who is looking to jump into the world of software development, as this type of learning experience will give you the practical skills to start making your own applications from scratch, which I feel is really empowering and motivating to start making projects of your own! That combined with the experience of living in a new country and meeting new and interesting people from around the world makes this a really rewarding experience that I would do again in a heartbeat!