unc-chapel-hill-boot-camps-logo

UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps

Chapel Hill, Raleigh

UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps

UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps offer 24-week, part-time courses in web development or data analytics in Chapel Hill/Morrisville or Raleigh, NC. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Node.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, MySQL, Git, C#, ASP.Net, and more. The data science curriculum covers a broad array of technologies like programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, API Interactions, MySQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, Machine Learning, and more.

Applicants do not need programming experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or are looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching.  Students will also have access to a network of boot camp employer partners. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion from the William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education at UNC-Chapel Hill and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development or data analytics.

UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. Brand.

Recent UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (49) reviews for UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps →

Recent UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps News

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationRaleigh
    - This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationChapel Hill, Raleigh
    The Coding Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
    Prep WorkPre-work

• $500 UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UNC-Chapel Hill Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Raleigh)

• Wesley Hatley  User Photo
    Wesley Hatley • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I spent many years internally debating career change, and reading reviews on this course, and other coding courses before enrolling in the Full-Stack Flex program at UNC. Before the course I was firmly nested in a high paying, albeit stressful, senior management role with a company that I was hesitant to depart. One day the reality of how miserable I was hit me like a truck, I decided it was time for change and I made that leap of faith and enrolled in the course.

I have a lot of confidence in my abilities to learn and adapt, it's probably even a bit of arrogance. I didn't give the prework my undivided attention, only dabbling in my free time, and didn't practice outside of class for the first couple of weeks. I initially completely disregarded all thoroughly documented and forwarded recommendations to do all the prework and practice outside of class beyond homework. This was a colossally huge mistake on my part. The pace of the course feels very quick at the beginning, and I soon found myself utterly overwhelemed, confused and categorically not understanding core concepts. I found myself debating dropping the course around week 3 or 4 and returning to my miserable role at my former company.

I am so happy and fortunate to say my instructor, and the program administrator managed to talk me out of this decision. With their encouragement I strengthened my resolve, found my determination, made the commitment, and gave the course work my undivided attention; ensuring I practiced at minimum 20+ hours each week outside of class on the topics discussed in class.

At some point, around week 9 or 10, things uniformly just clicked for me at which point I found my desire for additional learning completely insatiable. I quickly became very far ahead of the curriculum in conceptual understanding, and even began tackling subjects, frameworks and libraries not even a part of the course curriculum. I couldn't learn enough.

I now knew with certainty I wanted to work in this field. I couldn't even envision myself doing anything else workwise any longer. I began actively interviewing and doing technical screenings very early in the course, approximately midway through, and had respectable, start ASAP, job offers available to me two-thirds of the way through the course. Near the end point of the course, past the end point of new material from the curriculum, I received an offer for a Senior Software Development role with a major technology company in RTP. I couldn't refuse, and couldn't believe I was exiting the course with a six figure position - considering six months before the simplest "Hello World" was beyond me, and five months before I was a hair away of dropping.

Pursuing this course is unquestionably the decision I've ever made in my life, and is also the best investment I've ever made in myself. If you have a desire to work in this field, or want a career change, it is worth every penny and every second of the time commitment - but do understand and learn from my early mistake it is a time commitment. Do the prework. Practice outside of class.

I can't testify to the Job Assistance portion of the program, as I didn't utilize it any respect. I'm a master of professional social media, presence and professional document preparation, so I knew I wouldn't need the assistance. Feedback from peers though leads me to believe this portion of the program leaves much to be desired.

Friday, May 31 2019
    Thanks so much, Wesley! We're honored you chose our program to make a significant career change. It's great to hear you remained committed to your studies and felt supported by our entire boot camp team to continue forward.

Like you mentioned, dedicating extensive time both in and outside of the classroom is incredibly important in order to get the most out of the program. We're thrilled you became passionate about learning and developing your web development skills, ultimately leading you to an exciting new role. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Incredible Program
    - 5/28/2019
    Julie Ragsdale  User Photo
    Julie Ragsdale • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This was a truly invaluable experience for me. After two years of searching for a job in my field with no offers, I decided to register for this boot camp. I had been entertaining the idea of getting into software or web development for several months, but I had never mentioned it to anyone. I felt almost guilty for abandoning an industry that I had never even broken into. I'm unbelievably happy and grateful that I took the plunge with this program! After six rigorous months, I feel as if I've finally found my calling as a web developer. I cannot think of a more perfect field to flex both my creative and technical muscles.

I had an amazing instructor and wonderful TAs. They provided a wealth of knowledge. For the duration of the program, they never failed to encourage us and motivate us. Many of the TAs are former boot campers, so they especially understand how challenging this program can be.

After finishing this boot camp, I feel confident in my skills and ability to continue learning. I also feel like I have a competitive edge over many people who have received degrees in computer science, as I learned an abdundance of practical skills that employers are looking for. Many of my friends who are successful software engineers have expressed how impressed they are with the curriculum time and time again.

If you're on the fence about this boot camp, I would urge you to go for it!

Wednesday, May 29 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Julie! We're thrilled you've found your calling as a web developer and found the course to be invaluable. It's great to know our instructional team continually assisted you in your studies, providing both academic and motivational support. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success as you begin this new career path!
  • Jamil Weeks  User Photo
    Jamil Weeks • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had a wonderful experience in the UNC-Chapel Hill Coding Bootcamp. The instructor and TA's were approachable, knowledgeable, and helpful. The course is challenging, but you are surrounded by people that generally want you to succeed. And your peers are there to cheer you on as well. There are a ton of resources you have at your disposal to help you along the journey. I have learned so much in the past six months, and I would definitely do it again knowing what I know now about the program. If you are looking for a career change and want to attain highly sought after skills in the next decade, I highly recommend this program.

Wednesday, May 29 2019
    Way to go, Jamil! It's great to hear you enjoyed your boot camp experience. Our entire team is passionate about helping students succeed, so we're happy this resonated with you. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for recommending our program! All the best as you continue forward.
  • Jacqueline Gwynn  User Photo
    Jacqueline Gwynn • Software Engineer in Test • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The bootcamp was very informative.  The examples and project do a really good job of giving the students a feel for real life in the technical world.  The teacher and TAs are super supportive and help to guide each person.  There is a major time commitment when you take on the developer program.  The subjects move very quickly so if you take a while to catch on you need additional time to practice outside of class.  I wish career services was a little more involved during the process but they are very involved once you complete the course so do not worry they will help with job placement once you have learned everything.  Overall I am very pleased with the amount of subjects I was introduced to look forward to increasing my compentency level with my job.

Wednesday, May 29 2019
    Amazing, Jacqueline! We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and benefited from the support of our instructional team. We appreciate your advice for prospective learners—this course does require an extensive time commitment in and outside of the classroom. Congratulations on completing the program and thank you for your review! Best of luck in your future endeavors.
  • Conner Leigh  User Photo
    Conner Leigh • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'm a recent graduate of the UNC Chapel Hill Full Stack Flex program, and it was an amazing experience. I went into this course with virtually zero knowledge, and a head of doubts and worries about the investment. Six months later I couldn't be more satisfied with the curriculum, the staff, the career services, and everything in between.

From the very beginning of the process, everyone involved with the program was very friendly and supportive, even before the first class. It became clear to me quickly that our success was the primary goal of the staff, and that remained true throughout the whole process. I couldn't be more grateful for our TA's Jordan and Mel, our instructor Zach, our Student Success Manager Lisa, who all made the process possible.

The curriculum itself was quite difficult, and at times very frustrating, but the payoff when it all comes together is well worth the struggle. I can't even believe how much knowledge I now have vs. when I started. In retrospect it seems impossible! I was working a job 30+ hours a week during this entire class, and I know some of my fellow graduates were working close to 60! It was difficult to balance the two, but I'm so glad that the option of this part time course was available. A full time class would have seemed near impossible.

In summary, I now have a great foundation in the field of web development, and it has made me very confident going forward into my new career. I would recommend this course to anyone working full time or not, as long as they're willing to put their nose to the grindstone and really give it there all. The return for all of that hard work will surely not disappoint.

Friday, May 03 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Conner! We're thrilled you enjoyed the entire program and found our team to be so supportive. We also agree that Jordan, Mel, Zach, and Lisa are all fantastic. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we commend all your hard work! We're rooting you on as you continue on your new career path!
  • Elizabeth Wehner  User Photo
    Elizabeth Wehner • Graduate Verified via GitHub

UNC Chapel Hill's Coding Bootcamp was an excellent learning experience. The instructors were highly knowledgable and the course curriculum was build well, with students learning new things every week and continual building on the week before. By the end of it, we were creating applications of near professional quality.

The Career Services also helps this program stand out from others. After graduating, you will have the option to continue to receive one-on-one guidance and have access to networking events with employers. You'll be working on your resume and interview skills as well and be better prepared for the job hunt.

If there are any issues, it's only that the policy for remote attendence was changed mid-course and made things confusing for a while. Ideally you don't NEED to be remote often (this course specifically requires your attendance in the class room as much as possible) but only having 4 days of remote attendence can make your 5th sick day rather tense. As someone who commuted pretty far to the class, confusion around the policy made things difficult, but the student success manager was willing to work with me and address my needs.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with this course and feel that I stand a better chance of succeeding than I did before.

Monday, Apr 08 2019
    Thank you for sharing your student experience, Elizabeth! We're thrilled you enjoyed the curriculum and benefited from our entire team's support. Congratulations on graduating and all the best in your future endeavors!
  • David Padilla  User Photo
    David Padilla • Student Verified via GitHub

Going into this bootcamp, I had some doubts if it was going to be as good as some of the well known bootcamps like Hack Reactor, Flatiron School, etc. You can be rest assured that is as good as all of them. I was lucky enough to have an amazing instructor and TAs throughhout this class.

I went into this class not knowing anything and I am coming out of this class in 3-4 weeks fully confident that I can get a Jr Developer job anywhere. This confidence did not come without having some ups and downs. This class is fast and slow. It's fast when the syntax is unfamiliar, but slow when it's builiding on a foundation of existing knowledge (that you will learn).

I quit my full time job to pursue the 24-week program and I have absolutely no regrets. I don't think that I could've done this with a full time job in all honestly. Because I had so much time on my hands, I had more time to undertstand everything, learn additional skills from Udemy/TeamTreehouse, and polish every homework assignment I was given.

My biggest advice to newcomers is to really focus on polishing every homework assignment you get. Your HW assignments are the deciding factor of landing your first job, so it's a big deal. You will be a stronger front-end developer than a back-end developer because you start learning front-end development first, so you have about 33% more exposure to it all throughout the bootcamp.

I did not use the career services side of this bootcamp at all because I felt the HW and new concepts each week kept me way too busy to divert any attention away. But I don't feel like I missed out. If you're getting overwhelmed, at least make every attempt to do the very last career milestone HW before you graduate. I thought my portfolio, Github, LinkedIn, and resume were on point until their feedback opened my eyes.

So in closing, this class is for anyone of zero experience wanting to learn how to code. This class will give you a superpower.

Now that I have taken this class, I can honestly say that I could not have done this on my own. I needed the push. The HW deadlines. The clutch of TAs. After having gone through this class, I feel like I can learn any additional new skill on my own.

Good luck!

Thursday, Mar 14 2019
    Way to go, David! We're happy to hear you gained confidence in your newfound web development skills and benefited from the support of our boot camp team. We appreciate your advice for prospective students — dedicating time and effort to homework assignments is a great way to reinforce what you're learning in class. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best as you move forward.
  • Christopher Dixon  User Photo
    Christopher Dixon • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I graduated from the Coding Bootcamp at UNC Chapel-HIll as a part of the November 2018 cohort. Putting aside my own work ethic and willingness to succeed, I was blessed with instructors, Alper and Randy. Each class it could be seen that that each of their passions for software development was only exceeded by their love of teaching it to others. It was with their dedication that I learned how to approach learning new technologies. I believe this is one of the most important aspects of the bootcamp that I like to share with potential new students. Alot will becoming at you, from noSQL/SQL databases to jQuery and React, and you may not understand it at the first go around. That's ok. You'll have ample opportunites through projects to gain deeper insights. However, the consistent theme that is being reinforced is "Are you showing progress to where you can work within a language, a library, a framework that you haven't been exposed to in the bootcamp and succeed for the employer or client that's asking for it to be a part of the end result?"

I can say '100%' that the bootcamp has done this for me. I'm currently continuing to build my skills. In December I became an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner and I'm working towards the Developer certification. I'm diving deeply into React, Next.js, and Amazon Aurora (SQL database). All of these skills and opportunites have opened up for me due to the bootcamp. I owe a great many "thank you"s to my awesome TA's Tim, Zach, and Noah as well. I couldn't have done it without them.

For you, the reader, my advice is invest in yourself by enrolling in the bootcamp and having a singular focus. It is tough, but most things that are rewarding are.

Peace.

Friday, Feb 15 2019
    Amazing, Christopher! Our entire team is truly passionate about what they do, so we're thrilled this resonated with you — we also think Alper, Randy, Tim, Zach, and Noah are incredible. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Leo Daniel  User Photo
    Leo Daniel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This program is rigorous! The first week covers fundamentals of HTML & CSS and the following week requires you to apply and incorporate them in the foundations of a personal portfolio. Frameworks and languages change frequently, often per homework assignment. Assignments are cumulative, so expect to continuously apply what you’ve learned from to week to week. . The pace of the curriculum steadily increases, and will challenge you both physically and mentally.

However, there is an immense amount of support available not only from the instructor and TAs, but the Student Success Coach and the Career Service Counselor. The instructional support team welcomes questions and feedback, and will walkthrough the material at your request. The team strives to be available in-person before and after classes, and via Slack.

By the end of the course, you will have had the opportunity to build your portfolio, making it responsive and mobile-ready with Bootstrap; demonstrating JavaScript and jQuery interactivity; utilizing database architecture with both structured SQL and non-relational noSQL types, like Mongo, and eventually incorporating cutting-edge frameworks like React. Instructors will help you ensure your portfolio demonstrates the breadth of knowledge gained from this course as well as incorporate your own style.

How much you want to learn and apply is entirely up to you. You can do the basics or you can push yourself by taking advantage of tutorials and choosing the more challenging homeworks over the basic requirements. Creativity and teamwork play important roles in this course.  While homework assignments are independent, you’re encouraged to discuss concepts with your classmates. Unlike homeworks, projects are completed as a team--consisting of 3-5 classmates. With that being said, teamwork also requires a great deal of scheduling and time management. With the challenges this course presents, it’s best to take initiative and ask for help early from the instructors or your classmates.  Overall, this course is super challenging, but super worth it. After this course, you’ll come away with a ton of new knowledge and skills and a portfolio that shows it. If you’re lucky, maybe you’ll make a few friends along the way.

Ultimately with this course you can develop your proficiency and growth, and cultivate a team-oriented mindset as well.

Challenging yourself is the key with this bootcamp. I wholeheartedly recommend this course to all skill levels from novice to intermediate, or anyone looking to build a full-stack web application from scratch for your portfolio.

Wednesday, Feb 06 2019
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Leo! We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and felt supported by our entire instructional team. Like you mentioned, how much you want to learn and apply is ultimately up to the individual, but if you put in the hard work it's well worth it. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success in all that you do!
  • Torre Matthew  User Photo
    Torre Matthew • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I couldn't be happier to have gone through this program. It was grueling but I had so much fun that the intensity hardly mattered at all.

To go from only the most basic html and css knowledge to building complex full stack applications with polished UIs, easy to consume API endpoints, fully functional databases, etc in less than six months is something I hardly believed I'd be able to do. However, the teaching staff and curriculum of this program got me there.

I'd recommend this program to anyone serious about learning to write software. I'd also recommend it to anyone willing to work as hard as they've probably ever worked in the span of 6 months to learn really cool technology.

The program was one of the best investments I've ever made in myself. I have the utmost respect and appreciation for the people who went through it with me and the teaching/support staff that got me through it.

Friday, Feb 01 2019
    Thank you so much, Torre! We're happy to hear you had such a fantastic student experience and found our entire team to be supportive and encouraging. Congratulations on graduating, we commend all of your hard work! We wish you the best in your future endeavors.
  • Field  User Photo
    Field • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I applied to the Coding Boot Camp at UNC after about two years of deliberating whether this was the path for me and researching various programs around the country. My introduction to programming came in 2013, when I took CompSci 101 during my senior year of college. Between then and starting this program, I had done zero actual programming. This course helped take my coding skills from zero to highly competent and fully capable in a matter of months.

The in-person instruction, the extended timeframe, the namebrand recognition, and the varied curriculum attracted me to this program, and I was not disappointed. I couldn't recommend it any more highly to someone considering a full-stack web development boot camp.

In my opinion, the most significant takeaway is a broad and strong foundation in several technologies, which has been established by your instructors and your newfound ability to self-teach complex topics and tackle new challenges through a programmatic lense.

After completing this camp, I feel like I can take myself from total noob to capable coder in whatever technology I need to accomplish an objective. On top of that, I've got a sizable portfolio of work and a hunger to build all kinds of cool things with code.

Big thanks to everyone involved in my cohort's admininstration!

Wednesday, Jan 30 2019
    Amazing, Field! We're thrilled our program successfully helped you learn the fundamentals for full-stack web development. It's great to know you truly benefited from our in-person instruction and curriculum. Congratulations on completing such a rigorous course! We wish you all the success in your future coding endeavors.
  • Quy Nguyen  User Photo
    Quy Nguyen • Student Verified via GitHub

UNC Coding Bootcamp has taught me so much, I went from not knowing HTML to learning and building a full React app. It was challenging at first but I stuck it out and pushed through it. I signed up for a tutor and forced myself to stay consistent every week. The instructional team was wonderful and very supportive. Lisa, our student success manager was wonderful, she was always there if you needed to talk. If I could change one thing about my experience I would commit to working closely with career services early on. Since graduating, I am now working with my profile coach to update my resume and portfolio to help me land my dream job.

Tuesday, Jan 22 2019
    We appreciate your review, Quy! We’re glad to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development and utilized the boot camp's resources to help you through the rigorous curriculum. Our entire team is passionate about enabling student success and we have to agree that Lisa is wonderful. Congratulations on graduating! We look forward to providing you with continued career assistance and are rooting you on as you step out into the industry.
  • Daniel Milligan  User Photo
    Daniel Milligan • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This program was one of the most rewarding educational experiences I have ever gone through. The course is fast paced and challenging, but if you are looking to understand how to build a web application from the ground up, this program will give you the tools.

The instructional team was knowledgeable and friendly.  They did a great job of breaking down complicated concepts into understandable pieces.  Additionally, I appreciated that they would thoroughly review your code to provide feedback and encourage best practices.

The course does a great job of giving students the knowledge needed to succeed in building actual applications.  How far you take those applications though will be on you.  Their goal is to give you the building blocks upon which you can establish a successful developing skillset.

The course will not teach you every programming language.  However, it does teach you how to approach learning new skills, implementing tools, and understanding other documentation.  It is very much the "teach you how to fish" model.

If you are looking to learn how to build an actual web application and are willing to put in the work, I would highly recommend this program.

Tuesday, Jan 22 2019
    Great work, Daniel! We're thrilled to hear our program was so rewarding, and that you thoroughly enjoyed the curriculum and instructional team. Like you mentioned, if you are willing to put in the work, you can succeed. We truly appreciate your feedback and applaud your dedication. Congratulations on graduating, we are rooting you on as you continue forward!
  • Ben Garcia  User Photo
    Ben Garcia • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had an excellent experience with the UNC Full Stack Flex program.

After 8 years in a career pushing paper for the government, I decided I couldn't live that mundane cubicle life any longer. I had no previous coding experience outside a couple Codecademy tutorials before the session started, and the Monday following graduation I started a new position at a local software development company as a Software Engineer.

I put in many (many... many... many...) hours of study and practice during those 6 months, and I'd bet that just about anyone who put in that level of extraordinary effort is highly likely to get extraordinary results as well.

My instructor was outstanding! He had an unbelievable ability to explain new concepts as if I was 5, as well as illustrate high level programming paradigms in a way that I could process.

What I consider to be the best feature of this bootcamp is the curriculum. Some would argue that coding bootcamps can't teach you anything you couldn't learn on your own freely. Although I respect that opinion, I believe it to only be true in theory.

This bootcamp hit all of the essential highlights for the skills required of employable developers today -- in a time frame and at a skill level that I (and I'd say others) wouldn't be able to achieve on their own.

I wouldn't say that everyone should be a developer... but if you do want to be a developer, this bootcamp can certainly be the roadmap to a new career in the least possible amount of time.

Friday, Jan 11 2019
    Way to go, Ben! Thank you for choosing our program to make such a significant career move. It's great to hear you enjoyed the curriculum and found your instructor to be so knowledgeable. Congratulations on graduating and landing an exciting new role! We wish you all the success.
  • Sheila Ward  User Photo
    Sheila Ward Verified via LinkedIn

I attended The Coding Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill beginning May 2018 and ending Nov 2018.  I enjoyed this experience tremendously; however to me it was very tough.  I had been a programmer for 20 years, but then got laid off and knew that I needed some extra training on newer technologies for the future.  I did the "Full Stack Developer" track.  My recommendation is that if you pick up on things very fast, this will go well for you.  If you have a background coding in IT, that will help.  I struggled because I'm a "smart" normal person (not a genius), and I needed a little more time working with the technologies in order to get good at them.  But of course, we only had 6 months.  The instructor was very nice and very knowledgeable about everything.  He did speak with an accent, but it was not too difficult to understand (he is from Turkey).  I thought the price was very reasonable compared with some I had checked into.  But if you decide to do this, make sure that you GET A TUTOR, especially for the back-end.  You will probably need it.  I spent as much time and more than a full-time job doing this.  The frustration was when I got stuck on something and needed help.  Usually the TAs will help out before, during, and after class, but on slack it was hard to find someone who could help.  And I lived over an hour away.

Wednesday, Nov 14 2018
    Thank you for your review, Sheila! We're so glad you enjoyed your student experience and received continual support from our instructional team. Like you mentioned, this is a challenging, fast-paced program that covers an extensive amount of course material, requiring students to devote additional time outside the classroom. We commend you for your hard work and for tapping into all of the resources available to you. We understand that getting prompt assistance via Slack isn't always possible, but you've provided great advice for future students to take advantage of our free tutor network, TA assistance, and office hours. Congratulations on graduating, we are rooting you on as you move forward!
  • Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Overall, WOW! What an experience. I literally changed my life! Trilogy has been awesome and everyone in the process is so supportive. You NEED TO PUT THE WORK IN! This course is FAST, HARD, INTENSE, and IN DEPTH! But, if you are willing to put the hours in every single week (30 - 40+) you will succeed and be on the way to new levels of personal and career success and opportunity. I just finished the boot camp and would totally do it again! In fact, I loved it so much I begin TA'ing for the program next week! If you want to take a chance at a better life and want to push yourself to put the work in and learn the technologies presented in class the decision to take the boot camp is a no brainer!

Friday, Jun 01 2018
    Way to go, Anonymous! This program is definitely challenging, fast-paced and in-depth, but like you noted, if you are willing to put in the additional hours of hard work and practice, you will be able to succeed! We commend you for your dedication and long hours of study. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for returning to TA for us! Best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Amy   User Photo
    Amy • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I just graduated from the UNC Coding Bootcamp about a week ago and it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. The class was HARD, no joke, when they tell you the pace is fast, believe them...it's FAST!

However, if you hold on for the ride and just embrace it, you will come out at the end with a huge foundation of knowledge. I've talked to several developer friends who are very impressed with the material I've learned (the volume and also the fact that the material is actually relevant and currently in high demand within the industry).

My instructor was great...personable, knowledgable, funny, easy to talk to, he was always available to answer questions or re-explain a concept. He really made the class fun...I always looked forward to it. Plus, we had two TA's in our class, and I had a personal tutor I met with on Zoom every week (included in the program). I also really loved the connections I made with my fellow students, we bonded quickly and were always helping each other out as well. Plenty of resources were made available when we needed extra help.

I am not yet an expert (I had zero experience with web dev when I started), but I have a really solid foundation now. There are concepts I need to review again, I need to keep learning, but there's A LOT that I know how to do and that feels amazing!

This experience will be what you make of it...you will need to put in a lot of work outside of class time. Everyone is different, but I would have had a very difficult time keeping up with class if I had been working full time. Do yourself a favor and get a head start with webistes like W3Schools.com and freecodecamp.org...especially if you're a newbie. That is something I wish I would have done, it would have really helped to atleast be familiar with terms and concepts before day one.

The only not great experience for me was career services...but again, this is what you make of it. We never got a chance to meet the career people in person and that doesn't work with my personality. I felt they were removed and not really a part of the whole experience. Because of this, I didn't participate fully in this aspect of the class. I'm sure if I had tried harder, I would have gotten more out of it...but I just never felt a connection with those folks, so it wasn't all that helpful to me.

Overall, I am 100% glad I took this class, zero regrets. I have gained SO much knowledge, met so many great people and I know that I have the skills I need to get a job I love and earn a great living!

Wednesday, May 30 2018
    Congratulations on graduating, Amy! We are thrilled you had such a positive and challenging experience learning relevant and in-demand skills in our program. We’re happy to hear your instructor, TAs, and classmates all supported you throughout your boot camp journey. We know our entire staff works hard to help equip students for success, and feedback like yours makes it all worthwhile. Like you mentioned, the course will require extensive time studying and practicing concepts outside of class, so preparing for the course prior to day one by completing the program pre-work and tapping into free online resources is very important - this is great advice for future students!

We understand you would have preferred to connect with your career team in person. Our professional development services offer bi-monthly one-on-one Career Coaching with our Career Director to ensure students are not only able to foster a relationship with their dedicated team member but also have ample modes of communication to best suit their needs including Zoom Video Conferencing, Google Hangouts, phone, or email. Were these resources of help? We are constantly refining our career services to best help students, so we appreciate you sharing this feedback. It's our goal for all individuals to leave the program feeling prepared for and confident about the job search, so we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you to further address your concerns and provide any additional career planning assistance you may need at this time. Please contact me directly at (919) 425-0055. Thank you for your review and we wish you all the best!
  • Joshua Bohde  User Photo
    Joshua Bohde • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Coding Boot Camp at UNC-Chapel Hill is an excellent program to cultivate the skills needed to become a full stack web developer. Entering the program with no prior coding experience, as I did, can be challenging. But, the program offers many different elements to assist you, including a throrough curriculum with engaging instructors, accessible teacher assistants, helpful one on one tutoring and approachable student success and career services to help transition you into your new career. It is a very supportive environment, that if you bring the passion and dedication to learn will help you flourish.

Wednesday, May 23 2018
    Thank you, Joshua! We appreciate you taking the time to share your review. We’re thrilled you successfully learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development, as it’s our goal to provide a comprehensive experience for all of our students, ranging from those individuals who may be more knowledgeable to true beginners. We're really passionate about we do, so it's great to hear our instructors, TAs, Student Success and Career Services team were able to provide you with the best resources and knowledge base. We couldn't agree more that if you bring passion and dedication to the program you will definitely flourish. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors!
  • Philippe Dixon  User Photo
    Philippe Dixon • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came into this program with  only a small amout of prior programming experience.  And that mostly came from online courses and sites learning on my own.  After a lot of research into other programs in the area I settled on the UNC boot camp and I'm glad to say I'm not disappointed.  I began the course barely able to put up a simple web page and left writing and deploying stand alone web applications complete with server code and a database.  It's a thorough curriculum that will not only make you competent in full stack web development but also give you the tools to continue to grow and learn new technologies that arrive in the ever changing world of software development.

Thursday, May 10 2018
    Congratulations on completing the program, Philippe! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review, it was a pleasure to have you in our course. We’re thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience, as it’s our goal to provide a comprehensive learning experience for all of our students, ranging from those individuals who may have more experience to novice self-starters. This is an immersive and challenging course, so we commend you for all of the long hours and hard work you put in - it definitely paid off. We wish you all the best as you continue on your new career path!
  • Bowen Brinegar  User Photo
    Bowen Brinegar • Software Engineer and Teaching Assistant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

It's a great program for those that have had an interest in techology and have never pursued it. If you are a logical or design kind of thinker this is a program in which you can thrive. There is an awesome intrusctional staff and management team behind the program.

Available resources are: 13 hours of Code for 6 months with an industry leading teacher and teaching assistants, 1 hr of included 1on1 tutoring once a week, video guides for class review, and step by step solutions to complicated web application assignment, to just list a few of the benefits.

If you are looking to become a full-stack web developer, this course will provide you with all the tools you need to suceed. That being said, at the end of the day it is up to you to find the passion. The bootcamp with take over and foster it from there.

Tuesday, May 08 2018
    Hi Bowen, thank you so much for your review! It’s terrific to hear you learned so much from our curriculum and course instruction. Our instructors and TAs are truly passionate about what they do, so hearing they supported you during your journey makes their hard work truly worthwhile. We also think our entire team is awesome!

You are completely right in that it is up to the individual to use their passion and dedication alongside the boot camp's resources to fuel your success; great job of taking advantage of all the materials we offer to supplement your instruction -  this was excellent advice for future students. We hope you're proud of all you accomplished and wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors!
  • Daniel Kim  User Photo
    Daniel Kim • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The phrase "Nothing good comes easy" describes this boot camp experience perfectly in that the amount of effort and work required to complete this boot camp was not easy but it was definitely worth it in the end. I could not have asked for a better instructor and supporting instructional staff that helped me develop the technical skills I needed in order to land my current dream job.

Big thanks to Trilogy and UNC Chapel Hill for providing this awesome boot camp experience where people, like myself, can learn valuable skills that are highly marketable.

Monday, May 07 2018
    Congratulations on graduating Daniel! Like you mentioned, although this program is challenging and requires students to commit additional time and effort to master the course material, it's definitely worth it. It's great to know our market-based curriculum taught you the necessary coding skills and that our instructors and TAs provided plenty of support along the way. Our mission is to always assist and encourage students to be successful in this program and beyond. We love getting reviews like yours, as our team works hard every day to help fulfill this vision. Congratulations on your new dream role, we applaud all your dedication and commitment as you go forward!
  • Maria Wong  User Photo
    Maria Wong • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Attending Trilogy's Bootcamp was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I had tried numerous times on my own to learn to program unsuccessfully. Within six months Trilogy took me from a novice to a professional full stack software developer.

The most valuable aspects of the program are the highly-researched curriculum focused on relevant software technologies, challenging weekly assignments creating full applications, experienced teachers and teacher assistants who are enthusiastic about the material and work hard to make sure students fully understand the concepts, and a student success manager who is dedicated to ensure students succeed and have a great experience throughout the program.

The program teaches a lot of material in a very short amount of time, but it is manageable and you are even able to work full-time while completing the program. I recommend the Bootcamp to anyone who wishes to come out with the confidence and skills needed to build full-stack applications from scratch and to learn new technologies quickly.

Monday, May 07 2018
    Amazing! Thank you, Maria. We are thrilled you had such a positive experience with our program, successfully learning the fundamental concepts of full-stack web development. We are happy to hear our curriculum helped you gain in-demand industry skills and that you felt challenged in the hands-on coding projects. We know the importance of quality instruction and select team members that are experienced and passionate about student success! As you mentioned, this course is fast-paced; as such we commend you for all of the hard work and additional hours you put in to complete the boot camp. We can’t wait to see what you will accomplish with all the knowledge you gained and wish you the best of luck with your future goals!
  • Life changing
    - 5/3/2018
    David  User Photo
    David • customer service engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Honestly its a lot of work and can be intense at times.  They call it a boot-camp for a reason, but its so much more than that.  I refer to more as in immersion in programming.  If you're looking to go into something that will challenge you and frustrate you every day computer programming is the career for you.  The boot-camp helps you get used to not knowing anything and learning how to leverage resources outside of class like you would have to work on a real-world project.  Plus it helps that shortly after I graduated I got a full-time job making more money than I ever have in my life.

Thursday, May 03 2018
    Congratulations on completing the program, David! We know this is an immersive and challenging course, so we commend you for all of the long hours and hard work you put into the program - it definitely paid off! We pride ourselves on our proven curriculum, teaching students how to learn, and giving them key foundational skills across a variety of programming topics. We are so glad to hear you had such a positive experience. Thank you for your review—We wish you all the best as you continue on your new career path!
  • Paul Zavattieri  User Photo
    Paul Zavattieri • Software Engineer I • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Short and simple version:

Great boot camp. It's tough, there's a lot of material, and it will require a lot of discipline and work on your part. That being said, it'll take you from 0 to professional entry level developer in 6 months if you put in the work into two areas: 1) Learning/practicing the material, and 2) building your professional presence. In my opinion and experience, it is worth the cost and time. I secured a Software Engineering job less than 1 month after graduation. Prior to the course, I had 0 dev experience.

Long version:

This is a great boot camp for anybody looking to switch careers or just to learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (specifically JavaScript - this is a JavaScript intensive course. There is 1 week on C#, but the vast majority of libraries, frameworks, and tech in this course is centered around JS.). Not only that, the layout enables you to keep your job while the course is underway. The teachers and TAs are all very knowledgable, and the class room setting is great as well. Tons of activities, paired programming, and a few projects really drive home the material. Our Student Success Manager and Career Advisor were also great and helpful. I came in with no prior coding experience, so the first month was the most difficult for me just to grasp the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. After that first month of getting used to the class and homeworks, and also learning on my own outside of class (Udemy.com - outside learning is important), you kinda hit a groove and start picking up the more complex stuff quicker and having a bunch of those 'aha' moments. It's amazing today to see the apps I can build in only 6 months of training.

I'm a skeptical person. I definitely had my skepticism about paying for this course and wondering if the investment would pay off in a job in 6 months...seemed too good to be true. At the end of the day, it's up to you and your effort/drive as to whether or not the investment will pay off. I have a few friends from the course that are now successfully in dev jobs - so this definitely will prepare you for dev roles and companies definitely do hire boot camp graduates. LinkedIn recruiters will reach out to you frequently once you get towards the end of the course. To me (I was in finance prior to my career change), any investment where I can completely control the rate of return is a great one. If you have the drive and desire to put in the time, I highly recommend the UNC Coding Boot Camp.

Thursday, May 03 2018
    Hi, Paul, thank you so much for your review! Our entire staff - instructors, TA's, Student Success Manager, and Career Services team - are all incredibly passionate about education and changing our students' lives. We love hearing the in-person classroom experience was helpful, as we know how valuable it is to collaborate with classmates and learn to work as a team on various projects.

As far as your advice, we couldn't agree more. You are completely right that this is a rigorous course that requires discipline and commitment; it takes hard work and long hours outside of class, so we applaud you for mastering the material and building some amazing web apps! Not only are we proud of all you were able to accomplish in the last six months, but we are amazed at your dedication during the job search that ultimately led to your new career change. Congratulations on your new Software Engineer role! We wish you great success moving forward.
  • Steve Hulme  User Photo
    Steve Hulme • Program Manager • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am a March graduate of the UNC Coding Bootcamp. I took the Bootcamp in order to return to my "roots" as a software developer, after 20 years of project and IT Professional Services management. I'm glad I took this Bootcamp -- it is head and shoulders above the alternatives.

The Bootcamp's strong points are these:

• Training in current software frameworks and technologies.
    • Excellent, well-written, and challenging exercises and homework.
    • Hands-on development. Instruction is emphatically not "death by powerpoint". You will write a lot of code!
    • We had a terrific instructor, one of those rare individuals who was born to teach. Our instructor has extensive experience as a developer and as a manager of development teams at a major corporation. That experience, plus enthusiasm and the ability to explain complex topics, made class presentations compelling and enjoyable.
    • TA support. There were, usually, 3 TAs -- all veteran developers -- for 32 students. Thus (and including the instructor) we had an 8:1 student/faculty ratio. As a result, it was easy to get help and that help was given by people who know what they are doing.
    • A Student Success Manager (SSM) who worked very hard to ensure each of us had a great experience. Our SSM was always available, responsive to questions, and committed to our success.

To conclude, this is a professionally run and supported Bootcamp that provides a quality educational experience, focused on currently-relevant software technology.

There are, of course, a few improvements I'd make -- more focus on ES6 Javascript, React.js, Angular, and removing the C# module.  But these are nits. I know that Trilogy Ed, who runs the course, is always trying to improve it. I'm confident it will continue to provide excellent, relevant training.

If you fully participate in every class and do all the homework you will acquire solid software development tools. To become a true software developer you must do additional reading and research, as well as gain on-the-job experience, but these requirements are true for any profession.  The Coding Bootcamp will give you the tools you need to progress down your professional path.

Knowing what I know now, would I take the Coding Bootcamp again -- absolutely! I am very grateful to the Instructor, TAs, and our SSM for their help and dedication to my success.

Wednesday, May 02 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, Steve! It made our team's day to know that you enjoyed our boot camp and received the necessary support from our instructors, TA's, and Student Success Manager. It's terrific to hear that your experience in the program helped you further advance your previous programming skills. Our entire team is passionate about what they do, so receiving feedback like yours makes all of their commitment truly worthwhile.

We’re constantly updating our curricula and student feedback is an important part of keeping our course material up to date, so we really appreciate your input. We couldn’t agree more that the program depends solely on what you’re willing to put into it. You’ve definitely worked hard, so we congratulate you on your accomplishments! Congratulations on completing this course and we wish you all the best as you move forward in your career!