we-can-code-it-logo

We Can Code IT

Cleveland, Columbus

We Can Code IT

We Can Code IT is a full-stack software development bootcamp with campuses in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, offering a 14-week in-person program, and a 16-week online and in-person program called FlexCode. The Cleveland in-person program has a focus on C# / .NET, while the Columbus in-person and FlexCode programs focus on Java. All programs cover Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, MVC, Structured Query Language (SQL) and more.

We Can Code IT prepares students for software development careers with their Career Difference program, which helps students with career development from day one.

Founded by 20-year software engineering veteran Mel McGee, We Can Code IT's mission is to promote diversity and inclusion in technology. They offer grants that are applied towards tuition if you are a member of an underrepresented group in tech.

Recent We Can Code IT Reviews: Rating 4.63

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, CSS, Front End, Scrum, SQL
    LocationCleveland
    C# In-Person Bootcamp
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee
    Scholarship$1,000 Diversity Grant if you are a woman, African American, Hispanic, or Native American.
    Minimum Skill LevelMust know computer basics like typing, using the internet, etc. Must pass entrance assessments and interviews.
    Prep WorkWe suggest all students try programming out for free prior to joining us. Codecademy.com is a great place to start. You can also sign up for our email coding series at WeCanCodeIT.org.
  • FlexCode™ Hybrid Program

• Glad I Did It
    - 10/9/2017
    Cindy Colucy  User Photo
    Cindy Colucy • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

We Can Code IT was a chance I am glad I took. It was definitely intense and all the advice recommending to put your life on hold for the 12 weeks is definitely on point. It's a wild ride but for me it paid off.

• Do this thing now!
    - 10/18/2019
    Jessica Wright  User Photo
    Jessica Wright • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I've been on the other side of the line, hungrily googling, "should I attend a coding bootcamp?" and reading every review I could get my hands on, looking for a review that says, "Yes. You should do this thing now." I didn't find that review, but I did find the courage to quit a successful career and jump into tech. And it paid off. And We Can Code IT made it happen for me. The class times were convenient. The instructors didn't teach me all I know, because that isn't possible. And frankly, it's not how the real world works. They provided support, a broad base of learning, a safe space to be vulnerable and ask questions. I did the rest. The career planning staff is talented, and will be very clear about what you need to do to find a job you will love. Just getting a job isn't enough for them - they want you to be happy every Monday. The program works if you work it. They aren't going to hand you a career on a platter, but they will set you up for success if you give WCCI your energy, time and brainpower. The Columbus community for a new developer has been amazing, and I was fortunate to land a dream dev gig just 6 weeks after graduation. So, this is the review that is officially telling you: "Yes. You should do this thing now."

• Izzy Elwyn  User Photo
    Izzy Elwyn • Software Developer - Team Lead • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

When I came to WeCanCodeIT, I was at a crossroads in my life.
    I'd been working in a low-level tech job for a couple years, but knew I wanted to get into development at some point. I started looking around at local bootcamps and really connected with WCCI's mission to help diversify tech. I went to one of their information sessions and met some of their staff and was struck immediately by how much they cared for their students (both present, and past).
    I seriously can't say enough to fully encapsulate how incredible the staff of this bootcamp is. They are smart, empathetic and care deeply about their jobs and the success of their students.
    I enrolled in the hybrid-bootcamp course, so I could continue working full-time. The curriculum was excellent and engaging and I was always excited to get to work on the weekly projects and learn something new. The instructor encouraged us to be as creative as we wanted, which kept the work interesting and led to vastly different-looking results among classmates, which was so fun to see.
    In addition to the development piece of the curriculum, we had sessions with a success advisor. These sessions were incredibly helpful in crafting a good developer resume, preparing for technical interviews and generally growing confidence. It was clear from the beginning of these sessions that they wanted each of us to figure out what we wanted from a job and make sure we landed at a company where we'd be happy. It was refreshing to never be pushed to interview at an enterprise company just to get the job placement numbers.
    I started my first developer job roughly a month and a half after graduating from the bootcamp and have never been happier at work. I wouldn't have gotten to where I am without WCCI, and I would urge anyone looking to get into development to seek them out. My experience with them is by far the best educational experience I've ever had and I'll never stop being grateful for it.

• Graduate
    - 9/26/2019
    Jon Cunicella  User Photo
    Jon Cunicella • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had an amazing experience at We Can Code It. I did the in-person, 14 week, full-stack web development course. It was a challenging but very rewarding experience where I was able to collaborate on a wide variety of projects with other students learning to code. I met some really great people through We Can Code It and I would highly reccommend it to anybody that is looking to get into the tech industry.

• FlexCode Rocks!
    - 1/21/2019
    Lisa  User Photo
    Lisa • eLearning Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended We Can Code IT's FlexCode program after trying to teach myself to code (and then being unsatisfied with my progress). The FlexCode program let me learn at my own pace with modules done on my own time online, and meet with classmates and the instructor every other weekend. It really was the best of both worlds! Working on a team for our final project taught me teamwork and reinforced good source control practices, too. I studied and worked on projects while taking care of my kids, without any big changes to their routines, which was a big plus for me.

The instructor was patient and available for questions and problems pretty much all the time. He clearly loves teaching and helping students. The career services counselor had great advice and was so supportive, even after I graduated. The program helped me with my resume, interviewing, portfolio, and even set up some visits from local employers. This personal attention and mentorship really helped me succeed.

I landed a great job about a month after I graduated, as a direct result of networking organized by the school. We Can Code IT helped me move from stay-at-home-mom to developer! I highly recommend it.

• Siddiqa   User Photo
    Siddiqa • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I pondered attending a bootcamp for a very long time and after attending an orientation session at We Can Code IT, I made up my mind. I initially joined the part time program, which was switched to the FlexCode Hybrid Program. That switch was a lifesaver. The coursework was rigorous, and I have no idea how I would have been able to attend classes in the evenings during the work week while working full time and caring for a baby. The cohort was the first to go through the flexcode program and there were a few minor issues that were ironed out along the way. Everyone was very open to not just listening to feedback, but implementing it immediately.

The instructors were knowledgeable and encouraged us to figure out a problem ourselves. The curriculum touched on all the topics required to graduate as a full-stack developer and, most importantly, the curriculum was tailored to the way companies nowadays approach development.

The career service was great as well, from resume reviews, to mock interviews, to constantly forwarding and announcing job openings, opportunities and events.

I thought that after graduating, the attention would all be on the next cohort and I would not get the support that I had when I was at the bootcamp. I was wrong. I had reached out to We Can Code IT for very specific documentation required by my employer for tuition reimbursement. Not only did I get a response, but they worked with me to get said documentation which met all the criteria.

After We Can Code IT, I have had more interviews than I had in all my time job-searching. I landed a job a month after graduating. If you are enthusiastic about code and are willing to put in the hard work, attending We Can Code IT is really worthwhile.

• Susan  User Photo
    Susan • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My experience was positive overall, and I graduated with a full-time job as a Software Engineer. There were 20 people in my cohort when the program started and 19 graduated. It was diverse group of students in terms of professional backgrounds, but I was one of only four women when the program concluded. I chose We Can Code IT because its mission of “Equity through technology” aligned with my values. I think it would be nice to have a presentation about the need for diversity and inclusion in technology as part of the curriculum for students, especially for those who may not have chosen the program specifically for the inclusion aspect. That presentation would be beneficial in most workplaces and other bootcamps, as well.

The instructors were great – really informative, always available, and willing to help. The curriculum was relevant to what I have been doing in my career. I think the Java focus is good for the Columbus job market. I work with someone who graduated from another bootcamp in the area at the same time as me. Comparing our knowledge and instruction received, it seems almost equivalent. So, We Can Code IT definitely teaches competitively when stacked up against other bootcamps. Also, the scholarship offered to women in minorities made it the more affordable choice in the area.

My one suggestion would be in terms of the career development program. My professional background is as a Technical Recruiter. So, I have a decent amount of experience in the IT Job industry market, which may be why this was where I saw the most need for expansion. The current program is good, but the job pipeline seems to be heavily with a select few companies. I think having a career meet-up day prior to graduation with more companies could be useful networking for students. I know the Columbus campus hired a new full-time career coach since my experience. So, they are already making strides. I would definitely recommend We Can Code IT!

• Emmanuel  User Photo
    Emmanuel • Systems Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended WCCI - Columbus Campus, i was in Java full time Cohort

I'm glad i made a choice to join WCCI, it was a great experience and the best decision i have ever made. The instructors were awesome they made sure they answer every single question and move on when everybody is on the same page, Staff members were very proffesional, they provided us with every single resources they could get, my favourite was having Speakers (people who had been on the tech industry for a long time talking about their experience and gave advice on how we could catch up in the industry and they would answer all of our questions we had), Career services was great not only to make sure everybody is getting ready for interviews but also connecting with the employers and recruiters coming to talk to us and we had an opportunity to showcase what we have achieved and how potential we were in the industry. Im glad i made this decision i had my first offer exactly one week after graduation, thanks WCCI for making this possible.

• James Sayers   User Photo
    James Sayers • Software QA I • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I was very happy with program. By going all in on everything I was taught at We Can {Code} It I was able to get a great job just over one week after graduation. The program provides a great foundation for the understanding of full-stack software development and provides the skills to locate needed information for a given situation. That being said, and this will be true for the rest of your career in tech, it's up to you to be enthusiastic about technology and dive as deep as you possibly can into the material because you will never stop learning in this field. This program is the beginning of your career in tech. I utilized the skills and techniques learned from career services to land my first job in software, and I do not have a a 4 year degree.
  • Glad I did it.
    - 3/18/2017
    Stephen  User Photo
    Stephen • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

We Can {Code} IT has a very solid program that provides both the skills and knowledge to start working as a developer along with the assistance in searching for a position.

They don’t just teach how to program but also how to find answers and solve problems. The weekly projects reinforced what was taught. Often when the project was assigned it would seem very difficult but it would always prove that I was learning. The final three week project taught time management and team work skills.

The career search assistance was just as valuable. This went beyond assistance with resumes, LinkedIn and interview skills but confidence building and self awareness.

The instructors and staff want you to succeed and are available for assistance to even outside of normal hours and after graduation.

• Alex G • Full-stack Web Developer • Graduate
    WCCI greatly exceeded my expectations. The instructors' actions show that they are clearly passionate about clean code and helping us learn. They are very, very good at what they do, always nudging us towards a clearer understanding of concepts rather than just giving us the answers.

Ben taught test-driven design (TDD), which is not only a valuable body of skills but a rare one. Since graduation I’ve observed that TDD is often little more than a buzzword at many companies. But I came out of the program knowing unit testing and integration testing like the back of my hand, and it makes the code all the more maintainable and easier to read. (TDD just happened to tip the scales in my favor when I got my first job out of boot camp. The onsite technical evaluation was literally two hours of Jest testing as I solved a kata for the proctor. Two hours!) The career guidance is priceless—you just can’t find that kind of local information on the internet, and working with Lacey to polish my resume and prepare for interviews was an absolute joy.

One thing I should add is that the program is very much oriented towards learning by doing, and the emphasis was on building high-quality, clean apps as quickly as possible. This came at the expense of say formal knowledge testing or theory, which are by no means trivial; I say this because of the 100+ positions I applied for, quite a few employers grilled me on Java theory and object-oriented theory. This is something to be aware if you plan to apply to companies known for quizzing applicants on theory, and there certainly are plenty of those around town. JP Morgan Chase is one of them. I wouldn't say this is a shortcoming of the program, but a recruiter from one consultancy downtown said that in his experience, WCCI grads are strong on practice, weak on theory. I personally would have liked the daily morning quizzes that they reportedly had at Tech Elevator.

Anyway, the environment at WCCI is supportive, and the expert curation and guidance make this place worth every penny. I also made friends with my classmates, which was especially important since I had moved to Ohio two months before taking the course and didn't have any friends in town before then.
  • janvigupta • Digital marketer

BISDM  is providing  the best education for students to achieve their goal in Digital Marketing and we are used to  all the latest techniques of Digital Marketing with live projects, 25 advance Modules and 100% job assistance.

Digital Marketing Course, Digital Marketing Courses, Best Digital Marketing Course, Digital Marketing Institute, Best Digital Marketing Institute, Online Marketing Courses, Online Marketing Course, Digital Marketing Course in Delhi, Digital Marketing Institute in Delhi, Marketing Courses, Marketing Course, Digital Marketing Course near me,

• Grace N • Graduate

I attended We Can Code Flexcode program in 2019. I had been trying to get into an IT program for a while but with a family to support, I could not afford to quit employment. This program allowed me to remain employed and take care of my family while going to school. This made it even more intense and I basically had no life outside or school and work for 16 weeks. I have to say however that this was the best decision i could have ever made for the sake of my career growth and while the coursework was intense, I was very fortunate to have been a part of an amazing cohort with brilliant and hardworking team members, dedicated instructors and career coach. I love that even after graduation, I remain a member of WCCI and they are always willing to provide extra coaching and mentorship. I got a great job right after graduation and have nothing but great recommendations for this program.