we-can-code-it-logo

We Can Code IT

Cleveland, Columbus

We Can Code IT

We Can Code IT is a full-stack software development bootcamp with campuses in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, offering a 14-week in-person program, and a 16-week online and in-person program called FlexCode. The Cleveland in-person program has a focus on C# / .NET, while the Columbus in-person and FlexCode programs focus on Java. All programs cover Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, MVC, Structured Query Language (SQL) and more.

We Can Code IT prepares students for software development careers with their Career Difference program, which helps students with career development from day one.

Founded by 20-year software engineering veteran Mel McGee, We Can Code IT's mission is to promote diversity and inclusion in technology. They offer grants that are applied towards tuition if you are a member of an underrepresented group in tech.

Recent We Can Code IT Reviews: Rating 4.63

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, CSS, Front End, Scrum, SQL
    LocationCleveland
    C# In-Person Bootcamp
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee
    Scholarship$1,000 Diversity Grant if you are a woman, African American, Hispanic, or Native American.
    Minimum Skill LevelMust know computer basics like typing, using the internet, etc. Must pass entrance assessments and interviews.
    Prep WorkWe suggest all students try programming out for free prior to joining us. Codecademy.com is a great place to start. You can also sign up for our email coding series at WeCanCodeIT.org.
  • FlexCode™ Hybrid Program

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Scrum, Agile
    LocationColumbus
    Fullstack JavaScript In-Person Coding Bootcamp
  • Poonam • Graduate

I am a recent graduate of the full time We Can Code IT bootcamp. I am very pleased with my overall experience with the program. Before joining the bootcamp, I was hesitant because I did not have a background in IT; however the WCCI team made me feel very comfortable throughout the entire program. The program was very challenging, but the instructors had a natural ability to make sure we understood the course material. There were several projects that were assigned to us during the bootcamp, and our instructors helped us along with every step. My experience, from start to finish, has been very positive and I would recommend this program to anyone considering it. Apart from the instructors, I have made long lasting friendships that I will cherish forever.

• Anonymous • Boot camp student • Student

We Can {Code} IT has been a life changing opportunity for me. Having worked in one field for almost a decade, I never dreamed of working in software engineering. When I decided it was time for a career change, I found out about We Can {Code} IT. I met with one of the co-founders and was thrilled at the opportunity that the program would provide.

I am currently enrolled in the program, and it is exceeding all of my expectations. The staff are knowledgable and kind. I feel valued and important. The instructors make sure that everybody's voice is heard. I am learning things that I never thought I could understand. We have already started receiving job assistance, and some of my classmates are already on their way to a new career.

Comparing We Can {Code} IT to other similar programs, I found that this program was significantly more affordable. Some people seem to believe that one can teach one's self to code for free online, but the experience that the We Can {Code} IT team brings to the boot camp puts the coding skills into a useful context. Things are explained in-depth in an easy-to-understand way. The cohort (the group of us who are in the program together) is constantly finding ways for us to support each other and help each other learn.

Enrolling in We Can {Code} IT was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It has boosted my confidence, lit the fire of a new passion within me, helped me learn about myself, and has started to give me a brand new set of skills that will help me launch a successful and exciting career.

I am a graduate of We Can Code IT and I can tell you that it changed my life. I have a Masters in Engineering, but was not passionate about the jobs I had. I took this bootcamp in the hope that I could find something that I enjoyed doing and that is exactly what happened. Not only did I learn a great deal, but the class was very engaging. However, it was also fast paced and rigorous. I graduated and now I am using my new skills in a job that I love!

• Indira • Graduate

We Can Code IT offered me a great oppurtunity to feel more empowered in the work that I was doing. I came in as a teacher and mostly planned on learning code to teach students, but relized that I wanted to commit to a career change to tech and am happy with my decision. I liked that I got to learn coding in the part-time cohort, meet other like-minded people, and learn to use code to support causes I already cared about, like education and social justice. Through the program I not only recieved a job offer within a month of graduation, but I also still get to work with the program with their K-12 programs.

• We Can Code IT
    - 1/12/2016

I have heard so many great things about We Can Code IT that made me want to join the bootcamp. Although I am a new student and haven't yet graduated, I know I made the right decision to attend. The class is challenging, but I feel well prepared for each new challenge I am presented with. The main reason why I chose to take the bootcamp was that I have been interest in learning coding for a while, but was not able to motivate myself to learn so much on my own. Having experienced the bootcamp for just a few weeks, I can already say that it is invaluable to have such experienced instructors leading the class as well as classmates to discuss problems with. I look forward to learning much more and starting a new career as a developer.

• CJ Ughamba • Graduate

We Can Code IT made attending a coding Bootcamp very easy. At the beginning me and my family were hesitant about my enrollment but We Can Code IT made the enrollment process a breeze. We Can Code IT also offers amazing tuition payment plans including a Pilot program that allows me to start paying once I get a job. The Pilot program was the only way I was able to afford enrollment. We Can Code IT's instructors are very helpful and engaging in the learning process. They are ready to help me learn at almost any time. Their dedication is truly admirable. We Can Code IT is by far the best Bootcamp and school I've ever been to.

Attending WCCI was one  of the best  decisions I ever made.   The instructors go out of their way to remind you that this is something you're capable of on the daily, even if you feel like you're barely hanging on.  They genuinely care about the work they do and the people they reach out to, and they've provided many of  us with ways out of a career (and therefore, lifestyle) that we were no longer happy with.

- 1/8/2016
    Stephanie Gandy • Student

I am a graduate of We Can Code IT bootcamp. I attended the 12-week fall 2015 full-time boot camp. The class met Monday through Friday from 9am-3pm. I came into the class having attended a couple college intro to Java classes a few years prior. I never really grasped the concepts until this bootcamp.The one college instructor I had couldn't speak English well and most of the class dropped including myself. The other instructor looked down on the class and was not helpful. Her exact words to the class were, "I already have my degree".  I've always had the interest but it just never clicked. At We Can Code It, we programmed as pairs, teams, and as a class. The instructors are there to instruct and guide us with minimal help. This is because they are teaching us to be resourceful and to practice the Scrum/Agile Method. As members of the class, it is our responsibility to find answers to questions amongst ourselves. There is always help available practically 24/7. The most important aspect of the bootcamp in my opinion, is learning how to think as a programmer. I would definitely recommend this bootcamp to anyone who has the desire to change careers.

• Guyver • Graduate

I had nothing but great experiences at We Can Code It. Everyone on staff was always more than happy to help and very friendly. I felt comfortable talking to anyone. Seeing how well anyone on staff dealt with difficult people and situations shows a lot. The curriculum was excellent. I feel that i have learned everything necessary to prepare me for a career as a software developer and then some!

• We Can Code it
    - 1/7/2016

Learned a lot in a very short period of time. The instructors are great and are very helpful. You are encouraged to become a Lifelong Learner in that they will not spoon feed you information the entire time, there comes a time were they start requiring you to find the answers to your own questions and that is great because it makes you self reliant. I reccommend this course to anyone that thinks they can keep up!

• Amy • Graduate

I just completed We Can Code IT's full time 12 week program. I found it challenging, but I'm quite a bit older than most of the other students. I'm changing careers and I'm hopeful that my We Can Code IT Certificate of Software Engineering can help me get a fulfilling job in tech. I've already talked to a lot of employers and recruiters and I have my first interview scheduled for later this morning.

I enjoyed working with Shana during the application process (and she was always helpful and available throughout the program when I needed help with anything). Mel is an awesome instructor. She really cares about her students, too. She's crafted a solid curriculum and her deep knowledge and passion for development shows. Lauren is a great instructor, too and she really has a talent for making dry subjects (such a numeral systems) interesting.  I can't say anything bad about the instructors and staff at We Can Code IT. They are talented and caring people. Their diversity mission is laudable and they truly are committed to it.

I'm also really impressed with We Can Code IT's network of employer partners. A number of them visited us throughout the program. The graduation day career fair was a great event that allowed me to show my portfolio to employer partners and discuss their business and their needs.

Lastly, We Can Code IT's open door policy with graduates is pretty awesome, too. We are encouraged to stay in touch with the school and get involved in meet ups and events. We are welcome back to sit in on courses if we feel we need to brush up on any subject.

I'm really glad I chose We Can Code IT and I have no reservations recommending it to anyone who is interested in coding.

Very weak and rushed workshop. Main instructor doesn't really care to see if students are really getting the concept or not. You are basically expected to teach yourself outside of the class.
    As far as job placement rate goes, WCCI does little to help put you in front of employers (and the majority of that help happens at the very last day of the bootcamp). Most, if not all, of your job opportunities will come from applying to jobs online on your own and networking on your own during Columbus meetups. You will be left out in the wilderness upon graduation and when you finally take a random job simply because you need money, you’ll be considered another successful graduate for their statistics.
    For the amount of money it costs, that should not be the case. At the end of the day, it’s business and all about the money. Either go to a different boot camp (Like TechElevator) or get a CS degree at a college. Don’t waste your money here.