we-can-code-it-logo

We Can Code IT

Cleveland, Columbus

We Can Code IT

We Can Code IT is a full-stack software development bootcamp with campuses in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, offering a 14-week in-person program, and a 16-week online and in-person program called FlexCode. The Cleveland in-person program has a focus on C# / .NET, while the Columbus in-person and FlexCode programs focus on Java. All programs cover Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, MVC, Structured Query Language (SQL) and more.

We Can Code IT prepares students for software development careers with their Career Difference program, which helps students with career development from day one.

Founded by 20-year software engineering veteran Mel McGee, We Can Code IT's mission is to promote diversity and inclusion in technology. They offer grants that are applied towards tuition if you are a member of an underrepresented group in tech.

Recent We Can Code IT Reviews: Rating 4.63

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, CSS, Front End, Scrum, SQL
    LocationCleveland
    C# In-Person Bootcamp
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee
    Scholarship$1,000 Diversity Grant if you are a woman, African American, Hispanic, or Native American.
    Minimum Skill LevelMust know computer basics like typing, using the internet, etc. Must pass entrance assessments and interviews.
    Prep WorkWe suggest all students try programming out for free prior to joining us. Codecademy.com is a great place to start. You can also sign up for our email coding series at WeCanCodeIT.org.
  • FlexCode™ Hybrid Program

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Scrum, Agile
    LocationColumbus
    Fullstack JavaScript In-Person Coding Bootcamp
  • Holly Rhodes • Graduate

I changed careers from hairdresser to coder. I went in with limited knowledge and came out a programmer. The staff is very helpful and supportive. I would recommend to anyone wanting to enter the tech field.

• Joan Mayer Campbell • programmer/analyst • Graduate

I enrolled in a .net full-time coding bootcamp to update my computer programming skills.The instruction was engaging and gave me confidence in my ability to use C# and SQL, HTML/CSS, javascript, .net MVC, Object Oriented Programming, Agile and GitHub. The homework and weekend projects reinforced the instruction with relavent projects. Because of this instruction and the good reputation of this organization, I was able to get a great job one month after I graduated. I thoroughly enjoyed the 12 weeks and I would recommend this program to anyone who wants instruction in the latest coding languages and methodologies in a short timeframe.

• Great Experience!
    - 9/18/2016
    Cierra • Mobile Developer • Graduate

We Can Code IT was a great experience. I moved all the way from Maryland to Cleveland to attend the bootcamp that I felt was the best fit for me.

My classmates became kind of like a family, as WCCI encourages an environment of collaborative learning, as opposed to competition. The instructors are all top quality. They are highly knowledegable, and also highly emotionally intelligent; a rare combination to find. Because of these attributes, the instructors were able to not only teach, help troubleshoot, and to answer our questions, but also to deal with the rollercoasters of emotions that the students may have been going through, considering that the bootcamp could be stressful at times.

What I took away from WCCI was a great sense of confidence. The confidence that I could really be a programmer/developer, and that I could take the skills that I learned at WCCI to the job market and earn a good living.

I landed a job about a week after graduation, after weeks and weeks of applying relentlessly to jobs online, and speaking with companies and recruiters. WCCI provided a great deal of job assistance (including representatives from companies coming to speak to us, and a career day at graduation) and career advice. I ended up finding a job outside of Ohio, but I still feel that I benefited from the career guidance/assistance.

I am grateful for the WCCI experience, and I wish the best to all of the summer 2016 cohort, and to whoever is reading this right now!

• Juan • Applications Programmer • Graduate

I decided to attend We Can Code IT after carefully reviewing, applying, interviewing and visiting a few bootcamps in the Cleveland area. From the moment I talked to their staff and visited their facility I knew it was the right choice for me.

Cleveland, like every other major city in the US is experiencing a revival and comeback of its downtown so I really enjoyed going to class every day.

Their staff has three qualities (among many others) that were very important to me: They are extremely knowledgeable. They are very good at teaching what they know to students with different kinds of backgrounds and experience. They care about their students’ future and quality of life. Plus they make an effort to support diversity in tech by offering scholarships to minorities, women and households earning under $47,500/year.

They did an amazing job at preparing me for a job in tech. Everything I learned was exactly what was listed as “required skills” for every job I applied. Their career services were very helpful. Their staff assisted students with everything from reviewing resumes and cover letters, to practice interviews and personally taking the time to talk to potential employers about their students. The last three weeks were especially exciting. I not only made a web app with my group to present to employers on career day but I interviewed with a few companies and accepted an offer from Progressive as an Applications Programmer before I even graduated, earning a great salary and great benefits. Quitting my job and attending We Can Code It completely changed my life. In fact, I wish I did it sooner. I strongly recommend We Can Code IT to anyone who is looking for a new career as a Software Developer.

• Love it
    - 9/10/2016
    Jaclyn Noga • Programmer/ Analyst • Graduate

I made the decision to attend We Can Code IT during a pivotal period of my life. I was disillusioned from the college experience after not finishing my bachelor's degree in civil engineering. I was working two food service jobs to stay afloat. Then, I took a chance on We Can Code IT. We learned C#, .NET, JavaScript, SQL, HTML/ CSS, and MVC in a hands-on classroom. I am still in awe of how much Mel cares about each student. It still makes me so happy to think about the classroom. I loved learning from Mel and Lauren in particular. They really invested a lot of effort into making sure than no student was left behind. Also, all of my classmates were amazing. Three months after graduating, I still talk to people. And it was so helpful to rely on my classmates for support during the treacherous job hunt. But my education from We Can Code IT really worked. I accepted a position as a programmer a little over 2 months after graduating. I whole heatedly endorse We Can Code IT. It seriously changed my life for the better. The only negative that I want to comment on is that for my cohort the curriculum changed a lot based on how we were responding to the material. If you're someone who can't handle ambiguity, this may not be for you.

• Unforgettable
    - 7/11/2016
    Erica Sommer • Graduate

I graduated with the full-time Spring 2016 cohort. We Can Code It was one of the best experiences of my life and I miss it. I am currently looking for a job; I am confident that I will land one soon. There are not many careers left where a person can think that.

WCCI is remarkable. They are dedicated to improving their curriculum and methodologies. While the instructors rip through material, they maintain a very clear feedback loop with the class. They work extremely hard to make sure that the students have every opportunity to master the material. As a result, there are no gentlemen's C's; you have to earn the grade.

I felt that the only time the program felt a bit loose was when we started working on HTML/CSS. Based on feedback from previous cohorts they were trying a more project-oriented approach. It was a bit too freeform, in my opinion. When we plunged into javascript and jquery things tightened back up, though.

I unreservedly recommend WCCI.

• Doug O'Bryon • Managing Director • Graduate

I was a member of the June 2016 graduating class of We Can {Code} IT, located in the sprawling StartMart space in Tower City in downtown Cleveland.

After having worked in "Big Data" research and strategy for several years, I enrolled to learn more about the "small data" which underpins the technologies powering contemporary machine languages - enabling queries and pattern recognition on large data sets.

By the end of the intensive We Can {Code} IT boot-camp, I had a solid foundation in C#, .NET, HTML, CSS, SQL, MVC, BootStrap, GitHub, Responsive Design, and some jQuery and JavaScript.  I found the leadership to be passionate about helping our class understand the course content, and preparing our cohort for success in various new roles within software development continuum.

• Rachel Ross • Software Engineer I • Graduate

I quit a secure full-time job of 18 years in order to go to We Can Code It. I immediately came out with a job better than the one I quit to go to school. I am not saying my "results are typical" but this is a school that REALLY cares about its students. Teachers were available online to help on evenings and weekends, and they would help one on one if you need it, in extra sessions, they really want to see the students succeed. Mel McGee is the one whose vision is really felt all through the school. She is a tireless and enthusiastic powerhouse always encouraging, but never giving you fluff. You have to work to make it through this course, and the teachers won't let you slack off. I highly recommend this. The only reason I gave the curriculum 4 stars is that we didn't really use all the books I purchased. But that's just a tiny quibble. The curriculum is always changing to meet with the needs and wants of local employers - isn't that a fantastic and proactive way to do it? Please talk to the instructors and learn more if you are interested in WCCI. It's a great place, and I have made some fantastic contacts and friendships there - and a new career.

• Graduate of WCCI
    Mary Winkelman • Graduate

On my way home from the first day of my bootcamp at We Can Code IT, I marveled at how much I liked everyone. I've been a student all my life, and while I have always been enthusiastic about learning, I never LIKED school and I had never been in a class where I liked all my classmates. I immediately noticed that the atmosphere at We Can Code IT was different from what I was used to; instead of an atmosphere of competition I found one of collaboration. There were about twelve students in my cohort, and while we came from a wide variety of professional backgrounds, we had a common goal that put us all in the same position: at the beginning of a long path towards what seemed like a near-impossible destination. That goal was to go from complete novices at computer programming to junior developers, in six months. The support we received from both the instructors and our fellow students enabled us to achieve this goal. One of the wonderful things about learning in such a supportive environment (and in-person) is that when you feel discouraged (that, “maybe you’re just not cut out for this”) instead of quitting you go to your classmates or your instructors and get the encouragement and information you need to stay the course. One of the many strengths of WCCI is that it helps break stereotypes that discourage women and minorities from pursuing IT careers by demonstrating that we really CAN be successful in this field, despite not being encouraged in that direction early on. I whole-heartedly recommend We Can Code IT to anyone looking to participate in a coding bootcamp.

• Super Awesome
    Lexus • Technology Analyst • Graduate
    Attending this bootcamp was the best decision of my life. It was really great. Amazing staff who was caring and really helpful. I really enjoyed myself and met some amazing people. I recommend this bootcamp for anybody who is looking to get into technology or is in technology but wants to code. Everybody is really helpful and friendly. The environment is AMAZING!! You will love this bootcamp.
  • Cynthia Gonzales • Graduate

Being a recent graduate from the We can Code It Boot Camp my experience with the camp was very motivating and positive.  Ther insrtuctional staff, and support staff were always available to help you along throughout the camp.

The environment where we attended boot camp is very comfortable, with access to the StartSMart to study at any time.

With my educational experience this program is well worth it. It's educational infrastructure is based on your commitment an completion of the program. WCCI also assist with employment when you are coming close to graduation. change.

WCCI is commited to the success of every single student. I would recommend WCCI to any one who is looking to enhance there career or make a change.

• WCCI
    Sirahn • Junior Software Developer • Graduate
    I can't say enough about We Can Code IT. This bootcamp experience was far more than I had bargained for. As a student in my early 30's with a family, life definitely had a way of standing in front of my goal. I had a professional background in business and was looking to change careers. The nurturing atmosphere that the WCCI staff had provided, made this impossible task POSSIBLE. Taking this bootcamp was not easy by any stretch of the imagination, you will work. The patience and persistence of everyone around me helped me realize my goals. This experience not only taught me a great deal about programming, but it taught me a great deal about life. I honestly can't imagine any other bootcamp is as focused on building each student as WCCI was. I really treasured my time with the students as well as the instructors. This will change your life, it undeniably has changed mine. I will soon find a position as a junior developer and I will have WCCI to thank for that. I have been equipped with more than enough tools to take life by the horns. Thank you WCCI, money well spent indeed.