we-can-code-it-logo

We Can Code IT

Cleveland, Columbus

We Can Code IT

We Can Code IT is a full-stack software development bootcamp with campuses in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, offering a 14-week in-person program, and a 16-week online and in-person program called FlexCode. The Cleveland in-person program has a focus on C# / .NET, while the Columbus in-person and FlexCode programs focus on Java. All programs cover Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, MVC, Structured Query Language (SQL) and more.

We Can Code IT prepares students for software development careers with their Career Difference program, which helps students with career development from day one.

Founded by 20-year software engineering veteran Mel McGee, We Can Code IT's mission is to promote diversity and inclusion in technology. They offer grants that are applied towards tuition if you are a member of an underrepresented group in tech.

Recent We Can Code IT Reviews: Rating 4.63

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, CSS, Front End, Scrum, SQL
    LocationCleveland
    C# In-Person Bootcamp
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee
    Scholarship$1,000 Diversity Grant if you are a woman, African American, Hispanic, or Native American.
    Minimum Skill LevelMust know computer basics like typing, using the internet, etc. Must pass entrance assessments and interviews.
    Prep WorkWe suggest all students try programming out for free prior to joining us. Codecademy.com is a great place to start. You can also sign up for our email coding series at WeCanCodeIT.org.
  • FlexCode™ Hybrid Program

Fullstack JavaScript In-Person Coding Bootcamp
  • Very pleased
    - 7/31/2017
    Jamie • Software Engineer • Graduate

I'm so glad I attended the We Can Code IT boot camp. The instructors are very experienced, funny, and are good about paying attention to students' emotional needs as well as their technical understanding. Career services give the strategy and knowledge necessary to brand yourself as a business-of-one, and the confidence to ace the tech interview and pursue networking opportunities (which was what led to my job offer).

The instructors do a good job of teaching students to research and master new topics on their own (which is a very valuable skill, since tech is always evolving, and we won't be in training programs forever). They are always available and willing to help students who are struggling, offering tutoring and going above-and-beyond by staying after class and making the space available on weekends. Students are encouraged to collaborate and experience peer-programming, so no one is ever truly alone or lost for long.

I do hope that in the future the bootcamp might be extended a few weeks because sometimes it felt like there was too much to learn in the time allotted. I also hope that they get someone local for their Columbus career services because it doesn't seem ideal to have this person commute and be physically absent (though available via web conference and phone) most of the time. Despite these issues, I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend this program.

Caveat: it is intense. It's likely that at least once you may second-guess your decision to join, or doubt your abilities, but this is normal. You will need to do a lot of reading and studying outside of the classroom, but if you do, the teachers will help you gain the skills and knowledge necessary for your success. As a frame of reference, I studied 3-4 hours every night and spent most of my Saturdays on campus. By week 5 or 6, your confidence will be much higher than when you started: heaps of new information will seem exciting instead of impossible. I had a job offer on week 9 of the 12-week boot camp.

I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is serious about breaking into the industry.

Thanks, WCCI!

• Carrie Ryan • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate

I know that this is a cheesy and cliche way to start, but We Can Code IT changed my life. Prior to starting the program, I was working a full-time job that did not offer me the opportunity to grow as a professional. I was also on a career path that I did not find fulfilling.

After considering going back to college for a CS degree, I decided to try a bootcamp instead since it would give me more hands-on experience working with code. I am SO glad I made the decision to attend We Can Code IT. I experienced a cohort that inspired me to learn and challenge myself. The entire staff was so helpful and supportive.

Thanks to the amazing career coaching I received during the program, I received an offer prior to graduation. I'm now making more money, I'm excited to go to work every day, and I have the opportunity to advance my career.

If you're ready to put in the work, then I highly recommend this program. Well worth the investment.

• Rebecca Bernstiel • Java Applications Developer • Graduate

My experience was quite valuable with WCCI. I  started out with absolutely no experience, and walked away knowing a tremendous amount.  It was a challange that I will cherish because I learned an enormous amount. These skills were a result of the wonderful staff that were willing to take the time to help you work through any problem. The instructor was extremly knowledgable and was always willing to help. He made it professional, challenging and gave us skills we will use through out our careers. I would recomend WCCI to anyone.

• Satnam Brar • Software Engineer I • Graduate

Like many others that enroll in this program, I came from a degree completely unrelated to computer science. The instructors at the boot camp do a great job of ramping you up to be able to develop functional programs. I came in with no experience in development, and I left with the confidence that I would be able to contribute effectively in the Cleveland IT workforce.

The only downside to this program is that there is not a comprehensive SQL curriculum. Many companies look for SQL database design and SQL query knowledge. There is a way to teach yourself the basics that the program providies, but I believe that SQL should be taught by the instructors as well.

• Don't Do IT
    - 3/10/2017
    RICHARD JONES • Student

If you are disabled or a minority or part of an underserved population do not I repeat attend this class. I am a disabled veteran and humiliated by an instructor and when I complained I was expelled from the program.  I was also told by the President of the school that because I received public funding I was not their customer "Ohio Means Jobs is our customer"

That was entirely out of line. Ohio Means Jobs told me that I should be afforded the same respect and dignity as someone who paid using their own funds

I was expelled and given no due process. If they are willing to treat a disabled veteran ( The President of the School also commented ..."My husband is a veteran..so what)

I have filed over a dozen complaints regarding this matter and will provide copies of emails and all documentation to any prospective student. I'm a former investigative reporter in Cleveland and worked for a major tv news station here and I have requested volumes of public records regarding this program and will also share that info. Please keep in mind at the time I was expelled I had a GRADE AVERAGE OF 99 PERCENT. Black students especially contact me before going anywhere near this place. RichardJones5@me.com

• Brad Kilkenney • Systems Test Engineer Associate • Graduate

I've always had a love for technology, but had very little exposure to coding, or people working in the development field growing up. In We Can Code IT, I found the perfect catalyst to dive right in, instead of just dabbling in my free time.

The success of the program in measured in no small part by the success of it’s students. So, you can rest assured that WCCI is invested in you learning the skills necessary to find a high quality job in the IT field.

I would not hesitate to recommend this program to anyone who wants to learn programming, and who doesn’t shy away from a challenge.

• Rick • Software Engineer I • Graduate

Taking this course was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The course work was clear and concise. The instructors were all incredible, both from their knowledge of the subject matter, and their passion to teach. And it doesn't end at graduation. The folks in Career Services are with you every step of the way, in the search for a new career. With their help, I was able to dive into a new career within weeks of graduating.

• Worth It!!!
    - 2/20/2017
    Jason S. • Graduate

I moved to Ohio to attend We Can Code It during the Fall of 2016 and it was definitely worth it! Anybody could enroll into this boot-camp, regardless if you don’t have any experience with programming. They do offer grants for some students if they fit the requirement which is helpful to some. My friend recommended me to go to a coding boot-camp because it was an alternative route of going to college, she was totally right about that! Depending on which campus you attend, Cleveland or Columbus, the campus will teach you the fundamentals of C# and .Net (Cleveland) or Java(Columbus). The instructors were kind and helpful to me and to the other students as well. We learned about what essentials of being a full-stack developer like C#, .Net, HTML, CSS, jQuery, SQL, and many more. It was definitely a fast pace learning environment which may be tough for some but as long as practice, study, and keep up with the lectures, you’ll be fine. Anybody that has the interested with technology and wants to change their life, I would definitely recommend We Can Code It

• Prince • Application Developer • Graduate
    I joined the 2016 accelerated 3 month program June of 2016 after my father told me about it. I had been trying to teach myself to code hoping to change careers. We Can Code IT took me from hoping to doing! Despite utilizing a number of resources my transition was very slow on my own, but the program provided the structure, guidance and expert staff to make my transition a reality. Many people have asked what's the biggest difference between teaching myself and joining the camp. My answer is, before I was hoping to become a software engineer and now I am one! Any one can learn to code but without the expert guidance and support of We Can Code IT I'd likely still be randomly taking different online courses with no clear path to employment. Instead, the guidance of the WCCI staff and the support of my cohort-mates I am starting a new career as a software engineer for JP Morgan Chase! If you are truly committed to becoming a software developer, and putting in the work to better yourself and your career prospects, I highly recommend We Can Code IT. Their expert staff, curriculum and ever-expanding relationship with employers are invaluable and can give you the training, support, and credibility you need to change your entire life trajectory!
  • Overall Thoughts
    - 12/3/2016
    Nichole Pulley • Student

Today was my graduation day and I can comfortably say that this course was not perfect but it was well worth it.

I have had the pleasure of getting to know 16 other talented individuals over the past 12 weeks. We learned a full stack from HTML and CSS to C# and .NET. This course is what you make it and is a direct reflection of your effort. The instructors are incredibly supportive and accomodating.

Yes, the instructors did change but not due to turnover but rather because a co-worker of theirs went on paternity leave. I think it is important to understand that while I thrive on consistency myself life does happen whether it is convenient or not for others.

Consider it and then sign up!

• 5 Stars for me!
    - 11/1/2016
    Cameron Robinson • Social Media and Marketing Associate • Graduate

This is a really good program. In the bootcamp you go through and learn full-stack development in the .NET framework. Specifically it's building web applications through an ASP.NET MVC framework. It's fun but also very technical. There are times where you may think that it isn't for you and there are times when you feel so thrilled that your code compiled correctly after an eternity of errors. It'll come to be the norm in your new career.

Pros:
    Amazing network of classmates who are all on pretty much the same level as you. There is a great incentive to work together and you develop a good network for after you finish your program of lots of people will soon be in the IT field as well.

Supportive instructors. The people who are teaching you are definitely there for you and want you to understand the material. They really have a passion to see you under programming.

Popular languages. Go type in C# or Java on a search board. Those jobs are in demand right now. And you learn the front-end aspect as well. Knowing both looks very good on paper and better when you can prove it.

Bonus learning materials. This is toward the end of class but you are certainly encouraged to learn more and the instructors point you in directions you might want to go in depending on what liked the most.

Help with job placement. While no place can 100% guarantee you a job, they do their best. Custom resume write-ups, interview coaching, LinkedIn skills, smart job searching. You get soft skills to help you outside the class along with your new coding skills.

Cons:

Time Constraint. This is quite a large amount of material that you go through during a short duration. Be prepared to be stressed because it will happen.

Imposter Syndrome. There will be times during and after the class when you feel like you haven't learned enough. To be frank, get over that. You can't let that get in the way of something you enjoy doing.

No hand holding. There will be a lot that will not be covered during of the class concerning .NET and C# as well as the front-end stuff. This is a lifelong commitment to learning and you are going to have to be the initiator in your learning. The instructors are wonderful and will teach you a lot but you are going to have to learn to teach yourself as well. There were plenty of times in the class where students were encouraged to make presentations about what they taught themselves on their own time and during projects, it will be mostly your fellow classmates that you communicate with.

The learning curve. You're first language is going to have a steep curve and there are going to be a lot of things that seem obnoxious. But believe me when I say that every language you go and learn by yourself after that is a breeze in comparison.

Overall, I think it's a great class. Don't let the rigor scare you off. It's totally doable and very rewarding and even fun!

• Awesome
    - 10/18/2016