we-can-code-it-logo

We Can Code IT

Cleveland, Columbus

We Can Code IT

We Can Code IT is a full-stack software development bootcamp with campuses in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, offering a 14-week in-person program, and a 16-week online and in-person program called FlexCode. The Cleveland in-person program has a focus on C# / .NET, while the Columbus in-person and FlexCode programs focus on Java. All programs cover Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, MVC, Structured Query Language (SQL) and more.

We Can Code IT prepares students for software development careers with their Career Difference program, which helps students with career development from day one.

Founded by 20-year software engineering veteran Mel McGee, We Can Code IT's mission is to promote diversity and inclusion in technology. They offer grants that are applied towards tuition if you are a member of an underrepresented group in tech.

Recent We Can Code IT Reviews: Rating 4.63

HTML, Git, C#, JavaScript, .NET, SQL, CSS, Front End, Scrum
    Cleveland
    C# In-Person Bootcamp
    Financing Available
    $1,000 Diversity Grant if you are a woman, African American, Hispanic, or Native American.
    Must know computer basics like typing, using the internet, etc. Must pass entrance assessments and interviews.
    We suggest all students try programming out for free prior to joining us. Codecademy.com is a great place to start. You can also sign up for our email coding series at WeCanCodeIT.org.
    January 13, 2020 - Cleveland

Columbus
    Fullstack JavaScript In-Person Coding Bootcamp
    January 13, 2020 - Columbus

• Guyver • Graduate

I had nothing but great experiences at We Can Code It. Everyone on staff was always more than happy to help and very friendly. I felt comfortable talking to anyone. Seeing how well anyone on staff dealt with difficult people and situations shows a lot. The curriculum was excellent. I feel that i have learned everything necessary to prepare me for a career as a software developer and then some!

• We Can Code it
    - 1/7/2016

Learned a lot in a very short period of time. The instructors are great and are very helpful. You are encouraged to become a Lifelong Learner in that they will not spoon feed you information the entire time, there comes a time were they start requiring you to find the answers to your own questions and that is great because it makes you self reliant. I reccommend this course to anyone that thinks they can keep up!

• Amy • Graduate

I just completed We Can Code IT's full time 12 week program. I found it challenging, but I'm quite a bit older than most of the other students. I'm changing careers and I'm hopeful that my We Can Code IT Certificate of Software Engineering can help me get a fulfilling job in tech. I've already talked to a lot of employers and recruiters and I have my first interview scheduled for later this morning.

I enjoyed working with Shana during the application process (and she was always helpful and available throughout the program when I needed help with anything). Mel is an awesome instructor. She really cares about her students, too. She's crafted a solid curriculum and her deep knowledge and passion for development shows. Lauren is a great instructor, too and she really has a talent for making dry subjects (such a numeral systems) interesting.  I can't say anything bad about the instructors and staff at We Can Code IT. They are talented and caring people. Their diversity mission is laudable and they truly are committed to it.

I'm also really impressed with We Can Code IT's network of employer partners. A number of them visited us throughout the program. The graduation day career fair was a great event that allowed me to show my portfolio to employer partners and discuss their business and their needs.

Lastly, We Can Code IT's open door policy with graduates is pretty awesome, too. We are encouraged to stay in touch with the school and get involved in meet ups and events. We are welcome back to sit in on courses if we feel we need to brush up on any subject.

I'm really glad I chose We Can Code IT and I have no reservations recommending it to anyone who is interested in coding.

• Steer clear
    - 10/30/2017
    Anonymous • Unemployed • Student

This bootcamp is a joke and is a waste of time and money. The teachers don't know how to code, don't like to code, and are rude. The assistant teacher just graduated from the bootcamp and is clueless. Learn from my mistake.

• Do not recommend
    - 10/6/2017

I was looking for a local bootcamp and really did a lot of research, as it was a big investment. WCCI had stellar reviews, a beautiful location, and-at the time-had a money-back job placement guarantee. I was aware of the mistake I'd made by choosing this school the first evening of class. Our lead instructor clearly had no idea how to code (nor carry herself in a professional setting, for that matter). That very night upon arriving home, I checked into their refund policy and knew I was screwed because after the first day of class, the most you are only able to get a fraction of your money back.

The class seemed to have more people going for free through Ohio Means Jobs than paying students. I'm all for opportunities and inclusion, but when you shelled out 10k for something and classmates have no skin in the game, they tend to care and try less. Not only that, but some people just were NEVER going to get these concepts. Yes, they have an "assessment test", but everyone I asked miraculously got 100% on it! Also, they will not provide any prereqs, even if you ask for them. That is a mistake.

I don't remember many details (must've blocked them out), but do remember that the teacher truly did not know any answers to our questions. Some classes we just watched YouTube videos, which I could do for free at home. The instructor got nasty and rude when you asked her a question she didn't know. She also started getting increasingly aggressive towards our associate instructor-whom was not only a great guy, but also KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING. That was really uncomfortable and unprofessional.The lead instructor didn't know how to use Github-which is something graduates should be comfortable with, because if they're lucky enough to be one of the few to get a job they will be using it everyday. Our lead instructor also tried to demo her version of our first project that she wrote and it crashed-we're talking about a simple console app. Also, when live coding she often was outspoken about using bad coding practices because "she didn't care." It was horrible. I only go on like this because upper management at WCCI knew what was going on and did nothing. It is despicable to charge people that kind of money and not have competent and knowledgeable teachers. The class moved at a snails pace, as some students (many of whom were going on the gov'ts dime) just weren't getting it.

That teacher FINALLY left the job due to personal reasons, which we were all relieved about, however she was never replaced. It was truly bizarre. No one missed her, but it wasn't easy having a different fill-in teacher every night (as everyone has different teaching styles), and after about 2 weeks, we just had the associate teacher for the last month of class.

In fairness, a classmate did switch to the full-time class a few months in and she said that the difference was night and day.

The career services woman started out so perfectly. She came in on Thursdays and was a very bubbly, professional go-getter. She seemed to get more and more overwhelmed as the class progressed, though and was less available. I can only imagine, though, as she's dealing with all the grads they're spitting out, and all the previous grads who are still desperately searching for the jobs they thought they would so easily find.

At the time I enrolled, not only did the website boast a money-back guarantee, but also claimed the tuition included professional resume writing services. That is a lie. We have access to a binder full of professionally written resumes that they graciously allow us to look at. Very unprofessional and offputting. It was a little ridiculous that towards the end of class, on top of everything else we were struggling to complete and learn, we were told that we had to have written and submitted our resumes for approval before they would be submitted to visiting potential employers.

With 6 or 7 bootcamps in NE Ohio churning out students, look elsewhere. There is a ton of competition for the jobs available coming out of school and this place just doesn't prepare you at all. Also, of the VERY FEW graduates that have found jobs, two are making mid 30's. I'm actually shocked that this place still has decent reviews, because I'm not the only one who knew this place is a joke. I did make some great friends here, but will forever regret not attending a real bootcamp.

• Be cautious.
    - 6/6/2017

I will come back to this review later.

You will need to learn JavaScript, jQuery, and SQL on your own.

• Not worth it
    - 5/3/2017
    Anonymous • N/A • Graduate

Teachers were not the best teachers I ever had. One didn't even like coding and the other was rude.

It just wasn't what I expected.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer I • Graduate

I knew I needed a new career path and wasn't sure the route to take to get there. After attending an information session for We Can Code IT, I knew I had to attend to get the skills I needed for a career I could be passionate about.

The most helpful part of the whole process is the staff at We Can Code IT. From the CEO to the office staff to the instructors, everybody is there to assist you in getting the most for your time and money.

The instructors were especially amazing. They are all from very different backgrounds, and through their combined experience, experiences, positive attitude, and dedication to making certain that each student gets what they need to be successful.

Also be sure to schedule time with Career Services to make the most of your opportunities. The Career Services team has all the tools to give you the confidence it takes to successfully navigate the post-boot-camp world of job hunting.

I recently received my first offer that I gladly accepted exactly one month out of the boot camp, and I could not be more satisfied with the results of the whole experience.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer I • Student

Though I commend WCCI`s attempt at serving the Northen-Ohio area, I feel that they are a mediocre bootcamp. Don`t get me wrong, the cirriculum is up to date and challenging, but there are things about the bootcamp that left me unsatisfied. For one, their statistics are bloated and slightly misleading. If you do a quick search on LinkedIn, you`ll see that most of their graduates are still looking for work 3-6 months after attending the program. Yes, there are some outliers, which they proudly tout on ther homepage, but the majority of attendees are still looking for meaningful employment. Another thing I noticed was that the majority of these success stories are people of middle-class Caucasian descent - particularly Caucasian women. Next, I`d like to give my take on the instructors. Although they are wonderful people, I think that many of their instructors lack industry experience. Yes, Mel and Jarrod have extensive industry knowledge, but most of the others are former graduates which is alarming. Are they having trouble hiring experienced instructors? Is this a rentention issue? Etc. Lastly, like many bootcamps these days, its hard to know whether or not job assistance actually works. If the majority of your students are still looking for gainful employment 1 2 3 and 4 months after graduation, can you really say that your bootcamp was worth it? If you look at Course Reports stats for 2016, 75% of students found a job after 90 days and 89% of students found a job after 120 days. These are staggering stats, especially after the time and money spent. Honorable mention: the assessment test is a joke and their should be prep work before the bootcamp, because it would help students build students build stronger projects/portfolios down the line. Also, supplement your bootcamp experience with online tutorials (eg. FreeCodeCamp, Udacity, Treehouse, Odin Project) because alot of the daily instructions is basic lectures and slides. About me: I am a self-taught developer that had a novice understanding of frontend prior to attending. Knowing what I know now - would I attend WCCI again? No. Mainly because with a little discipline and time, I could of did it myself. I think thats whats so attractive about bootcamps, its a quick fix for the undisciplined and fearful. If you do decide to attend a bootcamp eventually, research research research! Ask for annual reports, talk to every student you can, etc. Good luck.
  • An Honest Review
    - 12/1/2016

Here is an honest review guys: I'm sure you have seen all the 5-Star reviews and though it was all fake, becasue it is. The Bootcamp was well taught but the instrusctors kept switching and our class skipped through a lot of material because of the instructors. We went through 3 different Instructors and they kept switching off and on.

The job part: The do promise to get you jobs, but in reality, they fail to accomplish. They often make up numbers to please the students and prospective students to make them sign up. The truth is, These coding bootcamp cant get everyone coding jobs. Realistically only 50% of the people got jobs.

Overall: This is a honest scam, in the sense they do teach most of the skills but dont really get you the jobs they promise.

Response From: Leslie Evans of We Can Code IT
    Title: President
    Thursday, Dec 22 2016
    Dear Anonymous,  We Can Code IT is intentional about equipping our students and preparing them to strategically navigate the job search process.  We are pleased to provide professional resume services, professional headshots for LInkedin, & a dedicated Chief Career Strategist who is available to meet with every student on a regular basis and who provides in-classroom content in addition to daily web check-ins.  You are correct that coding bootcamps "can't get everyone coding jobs".  Coding bootcamps can not force students to avail themselves of all of the career services provided.  We Can Code IT has an extensive employer network and our employers are eager to interview our students.  Our stated placement rates are accurate. Students are advised to follow the recommendations offered throughout bootcamp in order to secure their desired position.  We encourage you to contact us directly so that we may be of assistance to help you find the job in tech you were trained to perform.  We do offer a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE and are eager to work with you to determine how we can be of assistance.  Please reach out to me directly at Leslie@wecancodeit.org
  • Thankful
    - 9/8/2016

The environment Mel and her team have created at We Can {Code} IT is one of unending support and encouragement. The constant reassurance and willful instillation of confidence in each of us was more than enough motivation to tackle the presented challenges and classwork on a weekly basis. The members of the team at WCCI are positive, energetic, and knowledgeable and I am so grateful for their willingness to share those talents with students.

• WCCI
    - 6/16/2016

Amazing classmates, instructors, and overall experience. Truly life changing. If you have tried to learn to code on your own before, you won't believe what you'll be able to do coming out of this program. And just like the other reviews say, the people are really what make this school special. There is always someone there for you, whether what you need is help with your code or just a good laugh. When you're trying to learn as much as you can about a new field in 3-5 months to begin a new career, this kind of support is priceless!