we-can-code-it-logo

We Can Code IT

Akron, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh

We Can Code IT

We Can Code IT is a full-stack software development bootcamp with campuses in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, offering a 14-week in-person program, and a 16-week online and in-person program called FlexCode. The Cleveland in-person program has a focus on C# / .NET, while the Columbus in-person and FlexCode programs focus on Java. All programs cover Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, MVC, Structured Query Language (SQL) and more.

We Can Code IT prepares students for software development careers with their Career Difference program, which helps students with career development from day one.

Founded by 20-year software engineering veteran Mel McGee, We Can Code IT's mission is to promote diversity and inclusion in technology. They offer grants that are applied towards tuition if you are a member of an underrepresented group in tech.

Recent We Can Code IT Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (78) reviews for We Can Code IT →

Recent We Can Code IT News

Read all (21) articles about We Can Code IT →
  • C# In-Person Bootcamp

C#, CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, .NET, Scrum, SQL, Agile, GitHub, Quality Assurance Testing, React.js, REST
    LocationCleveland
    C# In-Person Bootcamp
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee and$50 background check fee.
    Financing Available through SkillsFund/Affirm, ISA options, VA, and so many more.
    Tuition PlansMultiple financing options including grants and scholarships! See https://wecancodeit.org/pricing/ for more information.
    Refund / GuaranteeIf it's not right, we'll make it right!
    ScholarshipUp to $2000 for EVERY student who is underrepresented in tech, low-income, or has been affected by COVID-19. See https://wecancodeit.org/pricing/ for more information.
    Minimum Skill LevelMust know computer basics like typing, using the internet, etc. Must pass entrance assessments and interviews.
    Prep WorkInterested in seeing if coding is right for you? We offer free preparatory sessions via email and online training. See https://wecancodeit.org/prebootcamp/ to get started!
    January 10, 2022 - Cleveland Apply by January 03, 2022
  • Full-time Nationwide Remote Coding Bootcamp

Agile, CSS, Git, GitHub, HTML, Java, JavaScript, MVC, Quality Assurance Testing, React.js, REST, Scrum
    LocationColumbus, Cleveland, Akron, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh
    Full-time Nationwide Remote Online Java Full Stack Coding Bootcamp By working in a simulated remote work environment as a full-stack Java software developer, you will emerge from the We Can Code IT Coding Bootcamp with skills to start a remote (or in-person) career in web development, software development, software test-engineer, QA, and related highly-stable, and high-paying fields! The benefit of our unique collaborative approach, the Korda Method of training, is that you have a natural head start over other graduates as you’ll be completing projects as if you were working in the field! Build Your Future With We Can Code IT Throughout your software development education, you’ll learn job skills that will last a lifetime. Your student success coach will work with you to discover your strengths, learn your passion, and communicate these to employers through resume-building, Linked In networking, interviewing skills, personal branding, and more! SOFTWARE & WEB DEVELOPMENT LANGUAGES Learn modern implementations of Java, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Object-Oriented programming, APIs, REST along with supporting languages and tools! REMOTE SOFTWARE TEAM SKILLS Our expert GitHub trained educators will guide you through Git and GitHub to share your code and project status with teams. You’ll learn to use tools like Slack to communicate with your team and share ideas. Online conferencing with recorded workshops will allow you to see your teammates and instructors easily. Google Jam Board will help you ideate together. Other pair-programming tools, and remote sharing tools will be utilized so that you have a full understanding of how best to collaborate with teams online. . AGILE PRACTICES Test-driven development, pair-programming, and Scrum are at the heart of our working paradigm. Clean coding practices start in week one. Unlike other colleges or coding bootcamps, we teach you the best techniques so that you develop solid software development practices that will put you ahead of the pack, and last a lifetime! PORTFOLIO BUILDING Develop your software and web skills while working on problems and projects, ultimately giving you a portfolio of work! CAREER SERVICES We help over 90% of our career-seeking graduates start new careers within 6 months of graduation!
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee and$50 background check fee.

January 10, 2022 - Detroit Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Pittsburgh Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Columbus Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Cleveland Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Akron Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Cincinnati Apply by January 03, 2022
  • Java In-Person Coding Bootcamp

CSS, HTML, Java, JavaScript, SQL, Git, Front End, Scrum, Agile, GitHub, MVC, React.js, REST
    LocationColumbus
    Java In-Person Coding Bootcamp
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee + $50 background check

January 10, 2022 - Columbus Apply by January 03, 2022
  • Part-time Nationwide Remote Coding Bootcamp

CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, Front End, Scrum, SQL, Agile, GitHub, MVC, React.js, REST, Product Management
    Start Date October 08, 2021
    LocationCleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Akron, Cincinnati
    Part-time Nationwide Remote Online Java Full Stack Coding Bootcamp We've perfected the part-time program since 2015 to meet the needs of non-traditional students who have jobs, families, and obligations outside of school but still want to change careers quickly! Part asynchronous through our award-winning curriculum's learning modules, and part synchronous via real-time online "code jams" where you build projects with your teams every other weekend, you'll learn to build full-stack software and web applications over the course of 22-weeks! By working in a simulated remote work environment as a full-stack Java software developer, you will emerge from the We Can Code IT Coding Bootcamp with skills to start a remote (or in-person) career in web development, software development, software test-engineer, QA, and related highly-stable, and high-paying fields! The benefit of our unique collaborative approach, the Korda Method of training, is that you have a natural head start over other graduates as you’ll be completing projects as if you were working in the field! Build Your Future With We Can Code IT Throughout your software development education, you’ll learn job skills that will last a lifetime. Your student success coach will work with you to discover your strengths, learn your passion, and communicate these to employers through resume-building, Linked In networking, interviewing skills, personal branding, and more! SOFTWARE & WEB DEVELOPMENT LANGUAGES Learn modern implementations of Java, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Object-Oriented programming, APIs, REST along with supporting languages and tools! REMOTE SOFTWARE TEAM SKILLS Our expert GitHub trained educators will guide you through Git and GitHub to share your code and project status with teams. You’ll learn to use tools like Slack to communicate with your team and share ideas. Online conferencing with recorded workshops will allow you to see your teammates and instructors easily. Google Jam Board will help you ideate together. Other pair-programming tools, and remote sharing tools will be utilized so that you have a full understanding of how best to collaborate with teams online. . AGILE PRACTICES Test-driven development, pair-programming, and Scrum are at the heart of our working paradigm. Clean coding practices start in week one. Unlike other colleges or coding bootcamps, we teach you the best techniques so that you develop solid software development practices that will put you ahead of the pack, and last a lifetime! PORTFOLIO BUILDING Develop your software and web skills while working on problems and projects, ultimately giving you a portfolio of work! CAREER SERVICES We help over 90% of our career-seeking graduates start new careers within 6 months of graduation!
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee + $50

October 08, 2021 - Columbus Apply by September 24, 2021
    October 08, 2021 - Detroit Apply by September 30, 2021
    October 08, 2021 - Pittsburgh Apply by September 30, 2021
    October 08, 2021 - Akron Apply by September 30, 2021
    October 08, 2021 - Cincinnati Apply by September 30, 2021
    October 08, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by September 24, 2021
  • Marc • IT Applications Developer • Graduate

Went to We Can Code IT's full-time spring bootcamp from mid-January to late April 2018.  Enjoyed it far more than any previous academic experience, including both undergrad and grad school.  All three instructors were knowledgeable, relatable, and fun, and my entire cohort got along really well.   We all came together as a team to help everyone do their best and handle the huge amount of learning that needed to be done in only 14 weeks.  I was able to ask all the questions and get all the feedback necessary to suit my  learning style, and given how many questions I ask, that says a lot.

The coursework consisted entirely of real-world practical skills and knowledge, and I got the large amount of hands-on coding practice necessary to feel reasonably confident when trying to get a job in the field.  Repeatedly coding increasingly-complex projects from scratch every weekend was a valuable exercise that got me used to both writing code and managing my code with GitHub.  Ditto for the final team project, only doubly so.   It's turned out to be equally valuable that I got to learn both HTML/CSS/Javascript for front-end development and Java for back-end development, because I've actually needed all of that on the job so far.  I was originally a computer science major for my first two years of undergrad about 15 years ago before burning out on it, and I learned more in the first three weeks of this program than I did in two whole years of traditional computer science courses back then.  Those college courses consisted way too much of largely inapplicable theory; nearly everything I have learned at WCCI, I have already put to good use.

It was also helpful to have job search support every week, so that I had a well-polished resume and was prepared to do interviews.   Having some idea of where to look for jobs, what employers were hiring, what they were looking for in applicants, and how to highlight my strengths were all very important.  WCCI inviting different companies to come in and talk to us directly on several occasions was likewise valuable, and being able to demo our team projects to an entire room of prospective employers was great.  Nothing makes a good impression like showing off something cool that you've just finished creating with your teammates.  Getting started building a network is difficult, especially if you're like me and you're not normally inclined toward that sort of thing.  WCCI's connections to local businesses made a lot of difference in that regard.

Specifically for me, though, the employer visit that mattered the most was when Nationwide sent a recruiter to come in halfway through the program, and I was very impressed by what I heard.  He encouraged us to apply for lots of positions there, which I did (I think about 8 of them), and offered to forward our applications to the appropriate hiring managers.  That worked out better than I could have hoped for, because I graduated from bootcamp on Friday, April 20th, went in for an interview at Nationwide the following Monday, they offered me a job on Tuesday, and I started work about two weeks after that, on May 7th.  Interestingly enough, the position I got was unrelated to the recruiter who talked to us, and none of the three members of my team who interviewed me had heard of WCCI.  I still got a job offer, anyway.  I didn't even have to rely upon the fact that Nationwide had hired half a dozen former WCCI grads before me.  That says that the quality of what I learned was high enough that I could stand entirely on my own.  I know that not everyone who goes through the program will get hired quite that fast, but I can at least serve as evidence that it's possible.

Long story short, We Can Code IT did exactly what they advertised - they taught me how to be a strong enough coder in only three and a half months that I was able go out and get a job right away.  I've now been at Nationwide for almost half a year, and I've enjoyed my new career very much.  It's a good job at a good company with coworkers I like and very solid pay and benefits.  This is the career I wanted to get into right out of high school, and I finally made it.  That's a five-star rating, right there.  Can't argue with results.

• Ernest Bluford • Graduate

My experience at WeCanCodeITwas not atypical, I'm sure.

Someone without a coding background is told that a coding is a solid, lucrative career change.  I walked in the doors of WeCanCodeIT unsure, yet with confidence that I could make a change to my life.  From end to end I engaged with friendly, thoughtful individuals who were ready to provide an education they believed in.

From week to week, I learned new concepts from industry professionals, applied them in class, and produced a working product to show my budding mastery over them.  I truly believe that I have invested in a life long skill that will keep my brain working  morning, noon, and night.

WCCI's space, is perfect for exposing a nascent coder to the business of coding, and if they take advantage of it; an excellent networking tool.  I would and have recommended the boot-camp model to my friends(specifically WeCanCodeIT).

As I continue to grow, I feel confident that I can call on the instructors there for advice.

• Courtney Sciarrillo • Front End Web Designer Contractor • Graduate

I decided to go to We Can Code IT after attending an info session on campus. I met the instructor, Pete, and student success coach, Melissa, and they were both really transparent and friendly and made me want to to go there.

Pete was our instructor for the whole cohort. He was extremely knowledgeable about all of the course materials, but his teaching style is what set him apart.  He is very invested in each student's success, and is always available to help, even on slack late at night and on the weekend.  He is always very energetic and excited about working with students, and he kept our class engaged and supported the entire 14 weeks.  I felt like he was able to adapt to all of the different learning styles in the room so that no one struggled, and he did everything in his power to accommodate everyone's needs.

Our student success coach, Melissa, was also with us throughout the entire class.  She came to check in every morning to help keep us on track with preparing for our job search, and made sure to spend a lot of individual time with each of us outside of the time she spent with us as a class teaching.  She answers us on slack all the time, and has been just as available since we graduated.  She brought employers in throughout the program to help us network, and had a large group attend our demo day when we graduated so that they could see our work.  She did a lot to find new employers to connect with, and to connect us to the right people to help us land a job, and introduced me to the person I'm working for now.  No matter how silly I thought a question or fear was, I always felt comfortable coming to talk to her and knew that she would help.  Her role wasn't just limited to career support, she (and Pete) were a great emotional support system for my whole class the entire time we were there.

Mel, who is the founder and CEO, was also a presence on campus, which I didn't expect.  She actually taught some of our classes, and always took time to answer coding questions, and even helped a few of us with extra tech skills that we wanted to learn outside of the normal curriculum.  This was a really great feature!

I didn't know anyone in my class when I started, but my closest friend and (now) business partner graduated with me.  I also made other really great friends during my cohort, and working with them over 14 weeks and especially final projects was a great experience.

Overall, I'm really glad that I came to We Can Code IT.  I'm very grateful for everything I got out of this experience, especially the relationships I developed and the confidence that the program and staff helped me build.  It has changed my life for the better!

• Happy Grad
    - 1/29/2018
    J • Java Software Engineer • Graduate

I studied at the Columbus campus and was apart of the part-time cohort. To keep this short and sweet I got a job as a Software Engineer 3 days after graduation. I am making double what I did as a loan officer. Worth every penny.

• WCCI Bootcamp
    - 1/25/2018
    Christopher Megown • Java Software Engineer • Graduate

I needed a career change in my life and heard about WCCI on NPR.  I went to a meet n greet, enjoyed it,  and shortly after I was at my first day of class.  I was in the part-time cohort at the Cbus branch and loved every minute of it.  The instructors were very knowledgeable and patient with the new students learning an entire new skill.  The pace is fast but not impossible...you will work hard.  They start with the very basics and work up to full stack applications and by the end of it you can't believe what you have achieved.  Career services help you from day one setting up your professional portfolio and preparing you for networking and interviews. The founder, Mel McGee, stopped in numerous times just to see how we're doing, pick our brains, and help out with any questions.  The vibe that I got from day one was that WCCI doesn't care about the quantity of students they are providing to the IT workforce, it's the quality of students.  They truly care about how You are doing as an individual and want you to succeed. By the way I graduated this past Friday, I have been made an offer from a prominent company not even a week after graduation.  I could not have asked for a better output from this Bootcamp.  I will never forget the experience I had here, Thank You WCCI.

• Great Course
    - 9/26/2017
    Ryan Bender • Programmer • Graduate

I took the course from January to March 2017.  It was a great course.  I learned a lot from the course, not just the programming but also helping me to network and job hunting.

• Denisa I. • Web Developer • Graduate

Attending a coding boot camp has launched my career in IT, in roughly 4 months total. If you work hard, are proactive in the job search, and use the resources provided you too will be successful after completing this program. It is very much "what you put in - is what you get out."

I landed a web developer job about a month after graduation with two other offers on the table. I owe huge thanks to the career services at WCCI and the employer relationships they provide to their students.

I had a very good experience with my instructors, who were patient to explain the curriculum which is very important when teaching students who have no background in development. One thing I would have liked to see more of from the instructors would have been better after class availability for one on one help.

The curriculum certainly provided me with the basic knowledge to launch my career as a developer.  Although it moves fast at times, there is a schedule that the class needs to stick to and necessary material to cover, so I would say if you sign up for this course expect it to move FAST. My biggest downside in the curriculum would be the lack of SQL coverage and the after class study session that had little to no direction. I had high hopes of those study sessions to supplement the classroom time and that was not the case.

The career services are great. If you are proactive about job hunting and interviewing many opportunities will come your way. The most important thing is to have a positive and open mind about any opportunity that comes your way. In regards to the job guarantee, like with anything else, I would reccomend reading all of the fine print. But if you are performing well and are proactive about applying you will land a job!

If you are looking for a career change I recommend WCCI!!

• Diane Korpics • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

We Can Code IT is an excellent bootcamp for anyone who is serious about learning to code.  I was particularly impressed with my instructors as they were able to move at a pace that was manageable for people who were new to coding, but also challenge others who already had some experience.  The curriculum and projects were also well-designed to accommodate various levels of achievement.  The instructors were helpful and encouraging and made the class interesting and fun.  I was pleasantly surprised by the level of support the career development team (especially Cynthia Trotta) provided.  Not only do they provide help with resume preparation and interviewing, but they teach you how to network effectively and even expose you to some prospective employers.  Because of their training and committment, I was fortunate to receive an offer just prior to my graduation from the class.  One word of advice I would give a prospective student is to make sure that you clear your schedule so that you can fully devote yourself during the bootcamp.  It is time-intensive and, like most things in life, what you get out of it will be directly related to how much effort you put into it.  If you don't have any experience with coding, it might make sense to do some free online tutorials first to make sure that coding is something that you are excited to learn.

• Very pleased
    - 7/31/2017
    Jamie • Software Engineer • Graduate

I'm so glad I attended the We Can Code IT boot camp. The instructors are very experienced, funny, and are good about paying attention to students' emotional needs as well as their technical understanding. Career services give the strategy and knowledge necessary to brand yourself as a business-of-one, and the confidence to ace the tech interview and pursue networking opportunities (which was what led to my job offer).

The instructors do a good job of teaching students to research and master new topics on their own (which is a very valuable skill, since tech is always evolving, and we won't be in training programs forever). They are always available and willing to help students who are struggling, offering tutoring and going above-and-beyond by staying after class and making the space available on weekends. Students are encouraged to collaborate and experience peer-programming, so no one is ever truly alone or lost for long.

I do hope that in the future the bootcamp might be extended a few weeks because sometimes it felt like there was too much to learn in the time allotted. I also hope that they get someone local for their Columbus career services because it doesn't seem ideal to have this person commute and be physically absent (though available via web conference and phone) most of the time. Despite these issues, I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend this program.

Caveat: it is intense. It's likely that at least once you may second-guess your decision to join, or doubt your abilities, but this is normal. You will need to do a lot of reading and studying outside of the classroom, but if you do, the teachers will help you gain the skills and knowledge necessary for your success. As a frame of reference, I studied 3-4 hours every night and spent most of my Saturdays on campus. By week 5 or 6, your confidence will be much higher than when you started: heaps of new information will seem exciting instead of impossible. I had a job offer on week 9 of the 12-week boot camp.

I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is serious about breaking into the industry.

Thanks, WCCI!

• Carrie Ryan • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate

I know that this is a cheesy and cliche way to start, but We Can Code IT changed my life. Prior to starting the program, I was working a full-time job that did not offer me the opportunity to grow as a professional. I was also on a career path that I did not find fulfilling.

After considering going back to college for a CS degree, I decided to try a bootcamp instead since it would give me more hands-on experience working with code. I am SO glad I made the decision to attend We Can Code IT. I experienced a cohort that inspired me to learn and challenge myself. The entire staff was so helpful and supportive.

Thanks to the amazing career coaching I received during the program, I received an offer prior to graduation. I'm now making more money, I'm excited to go to work every day, and I have the opportunity to advance my career.

If you're ready to put in the work, then I highly recommend this program. Well worth the investment.

• Rebecca Bernstiel • Java Applications Developer • Graduate

My experience was quite valuable with WCCI. I  started out with absolutely no experience, and walked away knowing a tremendous amount.  It was a challange that I will cherish because I learned an enormous amount. These skills were a result of the wonderful staff that were willing to take the time to help you work through any problem. The instructor was extremly knowledgable and was always willing to help. He made it professional, challenging and gave us skills we will use through out our careers. I would recomend WCCI to anyone.

• Satnam Brar • Software Engineer I • Graduate

Like many others that enroll in this program, I came from a degree completely unrelated to computer science. The instructors at the boot camp do a great job of ramping you up to be able to develop functional programs. I came in with no experience in development, and I left with the confidence that I would be able to contribute effectively in the Cleveland IT workforce.

The only downside to this program is that there is not a comprehensive SQL curriculum. Many companies look for SQL database design and SQL query knowledge. There is a way to teach yourself the basics that the program providies, but I believe that SQL should be taught by the instructors as well.